[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Saber Parry Battle.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
Olympic fencing general

previous thread here: >>981
>>
First for zyzz
>>
2nd for lol I'm left handed, what are you gonna do about it
>>
>>38518
Beat you, since I'm also a lefty much have a wingspan far longer than yours
>>
Whats yalls opinions on nerds who fence using lightsabers? There are even companies making sabers build for taking hits and blocks when sparing.
>>
>>38530
kinda gay, I lump it in the same tier as the dorks who play quidditch at my uni
>>
>>38530
It's just for fun but as usual you're gonna inevitably get people practicing it and only it, and then thinking they're "sword masters".

It's kinda funny considering how piercing and tip-based attacks are actually more conducive to how lightsabers function (since you'll die if you take even one hit from a white-hot laser beam) and yet they never do a single thrust in the movies, always slashes.
>>
>>38518
>undercuts you
>>
>>38530

Very gay, I thought about singing up for the world championship with my HEMA friends to wreck them, but it turns out there are strict rules that prevent you from actually fencing.

I must stress it is VERY gay.
>>
File: ugly woman yawning.jpg (35 KB, 700x420)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>38673
>Yet another HEMA larper calling anything he doesn't like "gay"
>>
>>38498
how do u even know who wins? they just throw it around
>>
>>38697
thus why saber is dumb
>>
>>38697
It beeps really REALLY easily. Like you can just nick your opponent and it counts as a hit. There is no spring tip you have to push in to simulate piercing pressure.
>>
>>38673
fuck off, hemaists hating on mof are scum
t. hemaist
>>
I've never tried fencing before, is it an expensive sport for beginners? I've looked at clothes and mask and it looks a bit expensive but I couldn't find a sword (of any type)
>>
>>39117
It is an expensive sport, but not much more expensive than most sports in the long run, because your kit generally lasts 5ish years if you take care of it.
To begin with, you should join a local club because they will have a regime tailored for beginners to be able to pick it up quickly and optimally.
You can purchase a mask and foil/sabre/epee (the latter depending on which weapon you want to get into) but most clubs will have kit for you to borrow at first. You should be getting your own mask about a month in; you should be practicing with a plastic foil for about a year and then move onto a steam (metal but not electric) foil for another year. Alternatively you can purchase an FIE (competitive quality) mask and weapon which will last you all the way until you're ready for competition, but are very pricey to begin with.

See https://www.leonpaul.com/mini-fence-go-fence/mini-fencing-swords/plastic.html for plastic weapons.
>>
>>39129
Thank you for the informative reply, I will go to a local club next week.
One more thing, how do I choose the weapon? Sabre looks really cool but I never tried any of the three, so should I try every weapon or stick to one for some time and then maybe choose another?
>>
>>39154
It depends, if you don't have an idea of which one you want to try you should probably read up on each weapon because they are effectively three different games/rulesets.
In short:
>Foil
The original discipline for sword-based single combat, based on shortsword duels. The target area is the torso only and hits require you to push the tip into the opponent in a piercing motion. Often described as "physical chess" because your potential strategies involve advance, retreat, and plenty of trickery and mind games.
>Sabre
An extension of cavalry sabres which were curved to maximise cutting motions whilst mounted on horseback. Of course you don't play on a horse, but you move as if you do with retreat and sometimes even parrying being secondary to aggression and intent. The target area is everything above the waist including the head.
>Epee
The most modern variant, created by the French. Where Foil and Sabre follow a strict ruleset sometimes called the "right of way", Epee scraps the rules entirely - the entire body is valid target (even if it's not a kill-shot), priority doesn't exist and you can score double-hits.

My personal advice would be to start learning with Foil because it's extremely easy to transfer the skills you learn from that discipline to either Sabre or Epee, but if you learn Epee first, for example, you will find it extremely difficult to acclimatise to the rules of the other two; and if you learn Sabre first you will be naturally predisposed to inappropriate aggression that experienced fencers of the other two weapons know how to deal with. That's just a suggestion though, not a rule, don't jump on me saberfags and epeefags.
>>
>>39117
I actually found fencing the cheapest of all sports I've done as long as you borrow loner gear. It's gross but much less so that boxing gloves.
>>
>>38530
looks fun, not really a sport to be practised though imo
>>
>>39117
buy used stuff, that way you could get started for not that much
>>
>>39129
First thing to buy for a beginner is fencing shoes, not kit. Shoes make the biggest difference
>>
>>39154
Sabre is the fastest and most fun. Foil and epee are boring and height is more of an advantage in those.
>>
>>39558
>Shoes more important than mask
Ok.
>>
fuck león paul their shoes fell apart on me after two years
>>
>>38938
>dissing lightsaber nerds
>hating on mof
Honestly, you're hating on us more than he is with this comment.
>>
>>39570
Yes, because you can borrow a mask but you can't borrow shoes, and footwork is one of the main determinants of how good you are as a fencer
>>
>>39660
Those shoes are dogshit. Get the Adidas D'Artagnan shoes.
>>
>>39570
Yes, this is actually true wtf?
>>
>>39129
Wut with the sword stuff???

No.

Buy shoes, buy a blade(ELECTRIC, DON'T BUY A FUCKING BLADE THAT'S NOT ELECTRIC WTF) idk about other blades, but I know leon paul still makes a decent sabre.

Then get your lame. Buy it all at once, every part.
>>
>>39909
>>39936
You're missing the point.
You literally cannot fence without a mask, whereas any sports or court shoes will do (here comes the important part please read it) TO START WITH.
Of course you can borrow one but it's really nasty.
Shoes were the first thing I bought, but it was because I didn't have anything else appropriate at the time.

>>39937
I apologize; I worded that part of my post poorly. I didn't mean "purchase a non-electric metal blade", I mean you should be practicing with one. Obviously you shouldn't buy your own plastic one either. Funny story, I actually know a guy who bought a non-electric metal blade with a pistol grip, no less. No idea what he was thinking.

Basically:
>1. Mask and shoes
>2. Glove, Plastron, Jacket, Breeches & Socks
>3. Lame (if not Epee), bodywire & weapon
>4. Spare weapon
During 1-2 your club should lend you stuff.
>>
>>39937
I mean, you can buy one of those $10 practice blades if you want, just don't expect to actually fence competition with it. Useful if you have no club around, just a bunch of bros, and you want to give it a shot without dumping hundreds on electric gear.
>>
I'm a yellow tip tape chad. what color tip tape person are you
>>
>>40121
Any decent club has masks you can borrow as a beginner, as well as all the other kit in multiple sizes. But they never have shoes
>>
>>40169
I'm not gay
>>
>>40274
I completely agree Anon but most people who are starting fencing to see if they like it before they commit are probably going to be wearing sneakers/trainers/court shoes already. Of course the shoes are important but I doubt anyone would commit to fencing specific shoes before they've decided if they're going to pick it up or not.
>>
>>39910
the darty 4-s were peak comfy, the 5-s are shittier but still decent, the nike-s are dogshit
just buy a good tennis or handball shoe for begining though
>>
>>35971
>>35949
My uni fencing club doesn't have this rule and the club captain who is about 6'2 (I'm a manlet) will often take the lead on me and then run to the edge of the piste and post with his french grip and run the clock down so I completely understand why this rule exists
>>
>>39117
I've been using the exact same kit and blade since high school except for getting a new glove after my original one got destroyed in a bout, with equipment other than the electronics it seems to be very buy once cry once
>>
>>39660
Leon Paul fucking sucks the only thing good is when their blades occasionally go on sale but other than that I’ve never met anyone who has anything good to say about their LP kit
>>
>>40346
>he doesn’t know about the king of budget piste shoes
Not gonna make it
>>
>>40908
Agreed, the only good thing from Leon Paul is the X-Change mask.
>>
>>39117
breaking blades can be common if you have a retarded agressive style, otherwise breaking 1-2 blades (like 20-30 usd/blade may be cheaper if you do it yourself) a year is what i would say is common if you fence regurally (3-4 times a week)
>>
>>40911
that shit looks like it would tear apart in a month
dont skimp on the shoes, at best you fuck your knees up for the 10 dollars you didnt spend
>>
>>40926
They're actually pretty kino and the soles have been great for practicing footwork without messing up my nice piste shoes, however I still don't fully understand fencing shoes, my instructor told me most fencing shoes are just expensive badminton shoes but he always wore the nicest d'arts anyway
>>
Anyone have any good fencing Webms? I want to see swords breaking as well if anyone has anything of that.
>>
>>40346
I agree the Nike ones are dogshit and they gave me a foot injury when I used them because of how poorly they protect your heel. I also have seen people wearing these "Kempa Attack pro" shoes. I don't know if they are any good but I'll probably try them when my current pair wear out
>>
>>40908
I like their blue sabre blade, very light and not too pricey. But I try not to use it in training in case it breaks
>>
This video is really good if you are a sabre fencer, definitely watch it and take notes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfGwzMx8dKc
>>
/k/ is making fun of fencing again, boo
>>
>>41583
Making fun of a time-honoured discipline is nothing more than cope.
>>
>>41583
we had an bulgarian coach at my HS fencing club and one day he brought in some bayonet fencing trainer rifles he used in the army and we had a blast, they don't know what they're missing
>>
>>41768
for sure.
Pardini should start making fencing blades lol
>>
>>41800
Literally anyone that isn't Leon Paul should start making fencing blades however having a pistol grip made by actual pistol shooting professionals would be funky
>>
>>40169
Black so my opponent can't track my blade/tip as easily.
>>40908
LP makes great masks (their strap system is comfy) and bodycords. I don't think their whites are anything special though.
>>
>>41834
>I don't think their yellows are anything special though.
ftfy
>>
>>41829
yeah I have a Rink grip for my 25m olympic Pardini; it's the shit. A metal variant for foil would make me happy
>>
>>40940
sounds cool
the darts are pretty kino, they (dart4) are quite durable, and have just enough padding at the back and a thin sole at the front, unlike most other sport shoes which have much more foam

also the fencing shoes are kind of a status symbol in my experience, maybe not the shoes themselves but always having the newest one is
>>
stop fucking flunging
>>
what the fuck is an oly fence
>>
>>43766
A fence that is 1 lightyear long.
>>
>>38498
Where the fuck do you find a place to learn fencing?
>>
>>43809
Google "(your city) fencing club" and take a beginner's class. ez
>>
>>43835
come to Denver and I'll give you a free lesson
>>
who here /can'tfitinoldknickersbecauseputoncovidweight/
>>
>>44780
I need larger breeches because of all the squats I've been doing during lockdown, does that count
>>
tfw fencing general is dead
>>
>>38598
>It's just for fun but as usual you're gonna inevitably get people practicing it and only it, and then thinking they're "sword masters".
Solid take on Olympic fencing.
>>
Ilikefences
>>
>tournament today
>like 50% wealthy Asian teenagers
>these kids are 2fast4me
Feels bad man
>>
>>47195
train harder
>>
>>47195
Speed is the least important part of fencing.
>>
>>47967
tell that to the fucking fat Bulgarian man at my old club who just lightning fast flicks my shoulder every time
>>
>>48137
>fat Bulgarian
Yeah exactly.
It's not just speed, it's about catching you when you're not expecting it. The slowest fencer can beat the fastest fencer if he knows the rules better. SPEED is important, but there is a time and a place to be fast, a time and a place to be slow, and a time and a place to be just the exact speed to take advantage and surprise.
>>
>>48170
>The slowest fencer can beat the fastest fencer if he knows the rules better.
I want to believe that, I really do.
>>
>tfw basically missed out a year of sparring because of covid
still did footwork throughout and am in awesome shape so I'm lowkey looking forward to an insane comeback
>>
What are the leading nations in epee at the moment?
>>
>>55637
not US oof
>>
Who ya got in the Olympics boys?
>>
>>56644
there's a lot of buzz around Lenny
>>
whats the deal with this hadzik guy? i hear only bad things about him allegations aside, so nothing would surprise me with that faggot
>>
File: cat65.jpg (51 KB, 844x884)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>be persian born and living in canada
>check fencing schedule for olympics
>first match i see
>iran vs canada
who do i cheer for
>>
>>58268
iran
>>
>>58268
You are Canadian. If you went to Iran you'd be in a foreign country.
>>
File: cat67.jpg (32 KB, 480x480)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>58366
>>58369
>conflicting answers
>>
File: cat42.jpg (48 KB, 640x633)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
it was a good match
>>
WHERE THE FUCK DO I WATCH THE OLYMPICS
>>
>>58431
good question. I don't want to pay for cable or a vpn.
>>
rip america foil
>>
curious, any of y'all US-based with a rating? was hunting for my first letter before COVID hit

>>55637
japan apparently
>>
>>38498
sick exchange, almost reminds of HEMA.
>>
>>58142
He went to Columbia at the same time as Mattress Girl who was close with the fencing team. The accusers all knew him from that time.
>>
>>38598

Its why the first SW star wars movie (ep4) was so good, it was basically kendo which made sense.

But SW and most sci-fantasy suffer from shitty melee fighting.
>>
what's a good guide for drills?
>>
>>64462
On fencing by aldo nadi.
>>
>>64627
thanks anon. I've ended up in charge of teaching people how to fence and I don't know what the fuck I;m doing
>>
>>64641
He has a section specifically at the end for teachers. The majority of the book is spent explaining the fine details of every foil fencing movement, at the end of every explanatiom he has a list of two person drills. Not so much on warm ups and conditioning though
>>
I need underwear that doesn't ride up in my knickers. what get? boxer briefs I have keep riding
>>
>>65416
Compression underwear made for athletics. Tight underwear = tighter accuracy. Im telling you this as both a martial artist and former fencer.
>>
just ordered an enpointe kit and VSM. can't wait
>>
>>46306
>t. master of the blade
>>
need a shitty 3.5mm speaker that is LOUD and I can use with a scoring machine since my laptop has terrible speakers. it is only BEEPing so sound quality is not an issue

what get
>>
>>67355
Whatever you can find in a local store? I mean there are tons of speakers around in all range of prices.
>>
>>67450
yeah I ended up just getting a cheap 5w one
>>
>>65416
embrace it :3
>>
>tfw not going back to uni and studying from home so can't go back to the uni fencing club
:(
>>
>>67568
>run uni fencing club
>don't know what the fuck I'm doing
help
>>
>>67610
I was on committee last year bro I have no fucking clue, we have no money for new equipment and no one is retarded enough like me to buy their own kit
>>
>>67622
I just want a damn strip that isn’t $2000 fuuuuiuuck
>>
>>67651
i just want working weapons and wires
>>
>>67679
buy Leon Paul wires they last forever. StM blade and German tip. Works for me… while I’ve had them snap I’ve never had a wire pop
>>
>use large LP mask
am I a freak? they say 85% of people use medium
>>
>>67622
>check up on my uni club now that I'm studying from home and can't come
>mens captain is someone whose never fenced before
it's over bros. I wish I went to university in a country that cared about fencing and didn't think it was just for rich kids
>>
my foil keeps just giving off target signals ahhhhh
>>
should saber have a contact time? 10ms or something?
>>
>>68595
fuck no
>>
>>68790
why not. FIE experimented with no off targets in foil in 2018, they should experiment with saber contact time
>>
fucking how do I properly tape my tip
I keep losing bouts because of it
ahhhhhhh
>>
surely there are more fencers on 4channel. But I doubt they know about this dead genera
>>
>>69146
i mean there's only so much we can talk about, some of my posts in here are from when covid meant I couldn't fence at all and had nothing to post about
>>
>>69155
let's talk about strips. Do I really have to spend $3000 on an aluminum one?
>>
>>69341
yeah.... and then you have to find somewhere to store it, or transport it... Pistes are just painful.
>>
>>69345
I'd lobby for my school to put in permanent ones but there is literally no where it would go
>>
>>69348
man my uni fucking hated us, no money for anything, the smallest part of the storage cupboard for our kit. we'd have nowhere for a piste, barely anything for weapons, masks, and electrical equipment. I don't know how important your club is to your school but we weren't even mentioned at the sports awards. Maybe you could buy one secondhand from somewhere?
>>
>>69350
I keep a keen eye out on Craigslist, but I assume the 3 actual clubs nearby always nab the best stuff first.
My uni accidentally deleted our club from the club management software last semester since they assumed we were inactive... WE WERE BECAUSE OF THEIR COVID REGS blag
>>
>>69351
>two swords apart
>wearing masks and gloves at all time
the very fact we had to even deal with covid regulations in the first place is so fucking stupid, football and etc got a free pass because they were outside despite having loads of physical contact but we can't practice because we're indoors? Fucking stupid
>>
how many degrees down and to the side for setting a blade?
>>
BEEEP
>>
>>67722
Big head
>>
you DO measure the resistance of your body cord to make sure it is under 2 ohms right?
>>
>>69146
Fencing is an extremely niche sport. Especially at competitive level
>>
>>73336
yeah there are like 800 people total with letter ratings
>>
>>38498
Where do I shop for fencing equipment? Are there any good textbooks or guides on drilling technique fundamentals? I used to attend fencing practice very casually and would like to get a setup at my house to get back into it.
>>
>>74863
Leon Paul for body cords, masks, and sockets. (not LP USA, even with shipping stuff is cheaper and arrives at the same time through LP London)
needablade for BF blades
PBT for lightweight guards
FencingPost for Allstar stuff (lame, gripstar glove) and Linea bags
Blue Gauntlet for nothing, except cheap sabre sets
Absolute for whites
Get Asics shoes
Trippellet for nothing it is garbage
Alliance fencing sometime has deals

-get FIE mask and blades
-no cotton anything
>>
>>
>>75469
nice conversation
>>
>>
>>75785
lol silly epee and running out of time
>>
anyone in Denver?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.