[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 106 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sp-sumo-a-20160801.jpg (499 KB, 2077x1671)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
How do I get into sumo?
And I mean watching it, not doing it.
>>
Just start watching., been watching for years and I love it
I still have no idea why theres a wizard in the ring casting spells the entire time but eastern culture is full of things some would consider bizarre

If the guy gets pushed out or knocked over he loses. The numbers at the bottom show what their record is
That's all you gotta know
>>
>>3660
will japan ever have a native yokozuna again?
>>
>>3751
Where do you watch it?
>>
>>3776
When the tournaments are happening theres usually a stream on YouTube
>>
>>3776
https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo
>>
File: Chiyonofuji Mitsugu.jpg (65 KB, 517x800)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Chiyonofuji Mitsugu is a fucking Chad I mean look at that body?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/c/JasonsinJapan
for concise tournament coverage
>>
>>3660
I started getting into recently after stumbling across mbovosumo on Twitch and have been hooked since.

Every 2 months for 2 weeks there is a tournament and all the Competitors face off against each other once a day round robin style.

The Rikishi(Sumo Wrestler) with the best record wins the tournament. The few tournaments I have watched have been filled with drama and great matches.

I love it because it's super easy to follow and understand.
The traditions and lore of the sport are incredibly fascinating to watch and learn about.

The next tournament starts March 14
with the english commentary starting at 2:00am EST.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
>>
apparently it's as much of a social thing as it is a sport. sumo wrestlers are supposed to be model characters
>>
How tf are you going to ask HOW to watch something, you do it with your fucking eyes moron.
>>
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/
>>
>>3660
Search Kintamayama on youtube. Watch Day 1 of one of the tournaments and go from there. Ask if you have questions.
>>
>>4725
I would kill for those aesthetics.
>>
still broken up that this guy died
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bKrrdBGTM&ab_channel=VICEAsia
;_;7 rest in piece, chankonabe guy
>>
>>3751
The referee is a shinto priest. He throws salt into the ring before a match to purify it ritually. The highest level of sumo wrestlers get a special belt that signifies them as a living shrine.
>>
>>3660
Keep eating yourself into misery and rinse repeat the cycle with rage issues by going to your local japanese hot spots trying to start fights

One of them will evemtually take notice
"Geez this guy has potential, i must inform the emperor of japan!"
>>
>>3660
>And I mean watching it, not doing it.
its super easy

sumo takes place in tournaments, its usually just once per one or two months. it happens over 15 days, with each rikishi (sumo wrestler) getting a score of wins-losses between 15-0 and 0-15. getting a positive score will make sure you dont get demoted or rise in the rankings.
when a tournie is happening, come home and watch the daily highlights on a youtube channel, a perfect 15 minutes video.

because we are watching top 100 ranked dudes duke it out for top spot, youre gonna see a lot of the same faces, and you start to see their strengths, weaknesses and preferred techniques and you can start rooting for your favorites
>>
File: 1613509313593.gif (1.01 MB, 500x347)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB GIF
>>3751
>I still have no idea why theres a wizard in the ring casting spells the entire time
>>
>>5668
F
Was it the Corona?
>>
>>3755
Takakeisho is close to the spot
>>
>>6689
He died before corona broke out iirc
>>
>>3776
NHK has its own site for it. There are youtube channels that will post the highlights.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

Whenever there's a basho (big tournament) there's usually a general for it on /sp/. Don't know if they'll migrate here though.

>>6689
They didn't specify other than "protracted illness"
>>
>>6690
Takakeisho is shit, it's only a sign of how shit sumo in general is at the moment that he could ever get to ozeki
>>
>>3660
JUST
FUCKING
WATCH IT

imagine needing fucking credentials just to consume any fucking media, jesus christ. Start watching it and whenver you don't understand one thing pause it, google it, and then continue
that's how you get into it, my fucking god
>>
File: 1605216256561.jpg (57 KB, 546x658)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>3862
>>5147
Thanks
>>
>>8444
Dude, chill, it was just a question
>>
>>8532
it was a stupid question.
>>
>>8569
Suck cock
>>
Any upcoming?
>>
How does the ranking system work?
>>
>>8615
win a lot and get put up ranks, that is assuming the sumo association doesn't fuck you on a technicality
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIk5AQ47TYq8PQRoeM47LqQ

I like this guy and his channel.
>>
>>8600
next basho march 14
>>
>>9020
that channel is perfect
extremely comfy videos made straight to the point without bullshit, just talking about each fighter in a lighthearted manner but that feels professional and well researched
>>
anyone you guys like to root for? (and dont just answer the two token white guys)
>>
>>9116
I strictly root for Yotsu-zumo - belt oriented - fighters, or for grapplers and wrestlers. I HATE oshi-dashi fighters who slap at each other like teenage girls - Daieisho, Onosho, Myogiryu, and all the other journeymen who artlessly pound away at each other are a damn cancer on the sport.
>>
File: Enho.jpg (193 KB, 726x1456)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
When will he learn?
>>
>>9655
what a sad life you must lead. i'd root for henka users myself if aminishki wasnt retired
>>
>>9805
lol
>>
File: image_2021-02-23_101030.png (48 KB, 1703x343)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>9744
I was going to insult you for talking shit about someone who has reached makuuchi status, because its hard as balls in the first place, but jesus fucking christ, those results are not good at all
>>
>>9744
stop I'm gonna cry
>>
i first started watching with Tochinoshin in his rise to Ozeki
found it easier to relate to non-japanese then dove in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j864UUj6ZGk
>>
>>10194
last basho he did like shit tho
>>
>>10400
The giant fucker isn't gonna stop until both knees are destroyed.
>>
>>10400
What else can you expect from a man fighting with only one knee
>>
>>10194
>>10400
>>10417
>>10516
If he retired now could he support his family and make a living? What keeps him going?
>>
>>10955
sumo has a great retirement fund system.
the longer you fight and the higher rank you achieve, the bigger your pension is. profits from the venue go directly into the fund.

but of course its nothing comparable to what they make in one single bout as an ozeki. i dont know if you've seen, but there is this little commercial flag ceremony of all the sponsors of every bout right before it happens and the winner gets all the envelopes of money in the end (the thing the referee/judge/wizard gives him right after they win and they squat down)
>>
>>11148
HOLY FUCK
its just that? envelopes of money?
I was wondering what the fuck was the referee giving them at the end of each match, thinking it was something rtialistic or related to shinto and its just money
>>
>>10194
what's wrong with his asscheeks
>>
>>11194
probably fell on his ass and bruised it, nothing interesting really
>>
>>11188
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1h43KZbHvU

he still has to ritualistically cleanse the money before taking it
>>
>>11194
shh we don't talk about that

>>10955
beating the japanese probably. you can feel the tension in those matches and judges hate him

>>10400
sadly been downhill since then
>>
>>11830
>you can feel the tension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5QpAwZ7Oo4
Jesus you're not wrong
>>
>>12056
Tochi definitely has the best aesthetics. Everyone else looks like a professional eater but Tochi is E. Honda in the flesh.
>>
>>11830
>shh we don't talk about that
roids???
>>
>>3660
fuckin plant your ass down on a seat, do some googling, and look at the screen until you want to watch something else. what kind of response are you expecting? took me 5 seconds to find a sumo wresting video on youtube, here i'll even link it. no need to thank me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Xl1f-fXLo
>>
>>12056
that was a really fucking good match
>>
So apparently there's the International Sumo Federation and its the only one recognized by the international olympic comitee
Yet, I find it hilarious that in all aspects its absolutely inferior to the Japan sumo association and its on a completely different league
>>
>>12685
PEDs aren't explicitly banned
the bandage is always in the same place every tournament. May be a blemish but look at the guy.
>>
Chris Sumo is one of the best youtubers out there for sumo news
the guy is a treasure
>>
>>3660
How do I get into sumo? I mean doing it.
>>
>>12874
I said it here >>9088 what a good lad
>>
>>12848
you mean superior in every way?

no "our athletes need to walk around in yukatas and never appear in a bad light" rule
no "our athletes need to be part of a official stable where old washed up idiots still train the same as 100 years ago (also diet is just carbs carbs carbs and beer)"
no "10 minutes of bowing, stomping and salting the ring for a 5 second match"
no "our ring needs to be on a raised platform so people falling off can blow out their knees"
no "our athletes need to be nude under the mawashi, underpants allowed"

there is only one reason why japan has a monopoly. because money.
>>
>>13440
I mean "Japan sumo association atheletes are way fucking stronger"
I'm going to ignore all the shit thats not even true of what you said

>tradition bad!
neck yourself, one of the most interesting and fun things about sumo as an expectator is all the traditional and symbolic aspects about sumo.
>>
>>13440
>no "our ring needs to be on a raised platform
what the fuck are you talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94oYITAGG5E
>>
>>15192
>I'm going to ignore all the shit thats not even true of what you said
what part was untrue?
>>
>>3660
Isn't sumo rigged to the core?
>>
>>15213
There was some matchfixing scandals 10-20 years ago, but it doesn't really happen anymore today. I'm sure there's a few individual cases where it still happens, but it's a statistically insignificant amount.
>>
>>15210
first, and specially the biggest, the stupid lie about sumo wrestlers in stables not doing moderm training and having absolutely no fucking clue about what their diet actually entails and has, being extremely high in proteins and vegetables aside from carbs from rice, which is, fucking mind you, a really good carb source
second the fact that there's no rituals in world sumo championships
third that the plataform in world sumo championship isn't raised
fourth, saying that the only reason japan has a monopoly is money, what fucking monopoly are you spouting your mouth about when there exist several sumo organizations and tournaments including the world sumo championships?

what the fuck are you even on about, you non initiated fuck?
>>
>>15222
wtf why no weight class?
>>
>>15337
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTJR_7f_fHs
because get gud, that's why, it makes things extremely better
(Mainoumi was 100kg and Akebono 231kg)
>>
>>15225
>first, and specially the biggest, the stupid lie about sumo wrestlers in stables not doing moderm training
ive seen sumo documentaries. they do repetitive squats and resistant pushes and tons of sparring. 0 evidence of anything resembling modern level strength training with professional trainers and not just ex-wrestlers turned coaches. also what the fuck is extremely high in proteins. they mostly eat stew with meat in it, its not nearly enough protein for a pro athlete. and beer is simply bad.
>>15225
>what fucking monopoly are you spouting your mouth about when there exist several sumo organizations and tournaments including the world sumo championships?
the one where no actual athlete will cross over to those orgs and tournaments BECAUSE THEY DONT PAY AS MUCH AS THE JAPANESE SUMO ORG YOU IDIOT
>>
>>15620
>ive seen sumo documentaries.
well I literally just fucking saw a youtube video seeing them doing training and they were doing push ups and weight lifting, go fuck yourself, you haven't seen a single fucking thing
>>
>>15225
>you non initiated fuck

Unless you are a rikishi, we are all non initiated here
>>
>>15620
Chonkonabe has a shitton of protein. I don't even know where you're getting this idea.
>>
>>15634
I know, but let me meme, my man
>>
>>5668
This news has ruined my day
>>
>>15636
chonkonabe is literally anything made by a sumo chef , its not a specific dish
>>
>>15705
Yeah but always packed with tons of fish and meat. There's no low protein version of chonko.
>>
>>15705
and the chef makes sure that it always has a fuckton of veggies and a fuckton of proteins, like beef, pork or fish

Please, use some common sense, you see these damn guys and think "it so fucking retarded that they get so big, strong and agile on such a poor shitty diet" (and fuck me, they ARE agile, able to open their legs wide, practice several throws and do ukemi), and if it sounds retarded its because it is. You can't for your fucking life get that big body and fight properly on shit food, seriously your accusations can be solved just with a one minute search on youtube or something of "sumo diet" and you find a video of how they live and train in a stable alongside what the guys eat and you just see that them eating only carbs and drinking beer is a myth.
And related to eating and body just ask /fit/
>>
Wait. I thought Sumo was scripted just like WWE, is it not?
>>
He just went and threw the whole rod in, didn't he
>>
>>16086
already was asked before in the thread. There was a scandal some decades ago and its very clear that shit doesn't happen anymore >>15222
>>
>>16086
Every sport is scripted
>>
>>5668
Well no shit. Eating 10,000 calories a day isn't healthy.
>>
>>15586
>because get gud, that's why, it makes things extremely better
did that autism make a cohesive argument in your swiss cheese brain ?
>>
>>9835
>muh coochie
>>
started watching exclusively due to this thread, now I'm hooked and need the next basho asap.

also rooting for wakatakakage just to continue to hear english commentators fuck up pronouncing his name
>>
>>17464
welcome to the fun, reject the lameass football and embrace the rikishi slapping
>>
File: sumo heem.webm (2.75 MB, 640x640)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
>>
this guy is great at covering sumo...march 13th is the next tourney.

>>
https://www.twitch.tv/karla_sumoist

Watch here for live tourney mar 13th-they start at 9pm est. w/lower divisions.
>>
>>3660
You need Aderall, lots and lots of it. First, you have to go through 20 minutes of ceremony, and if you happen to blink at the wrong moment you might just miss the entire fight.
>>
>>17601
*throws extra salt for your concussion*
>>
>>17601
holy fuck
did you know that the fastest KOs of any combat sport happen in sumo?
>>
>>17715
fucking hell, nigger, check the thread first, he has been mentioned several times already
>>
>>17719
kek
>>
>>12876
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1cHUhm9u7o
>>
>>3660
get the updated Sumo Links pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/8Jhzz8Di
>>
>>17601
Fuck me... my knees are hurting just watching that video. How old do they typically get before having to retire? Can't possibly imagine that most who go into sumo wrestling make it to even 30 before having to retire with how much that sport must wear and tear your body.
>>
>>19744
Most are out by their mid to late 30s, but believe it or not there are still a handful of wrestlers out there doing japanese pro sumo in their late 40s and early 50s right now
>>
>>19748
>50 year old greying japs 100kg overweight are smacking people around still
While I'm not even 30 and already broke. Feels bad anons. I'm ngmi kek.
>>
>>19752
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ze4vJn7Jk
>>
>>19753
God that guy is old for a sumo wrestler. Feel sorry for him though, wanting to seek employment elsewhere but being unable to because of all the Covid stuff. Hopefully he can get into something else in a year or so.
>>
>>19744
They retire at mid to late 30s, its one of the most physically demanding sports, but its not as horrible as you think

>>19758
Sumo reminds me a lot of Shogi, both because they are japanese thing but because the people who do it dedicate their wholes lives to it and if they loose too much they fucking "die" because they can't do anything else. A person needs to dedicate all their life and effort to practice sumo or to study shogi just to stay in the competition and keep earning a salary, and if they can't keep competing they have nothing else, no other skills or knowledge to find another job.
At least sumo has a very generous retirement fund, and almost all of the high level wrestlers go on to become part of the association
>>
is he the one weeb in a million who accomplished his dream?
>>
>>19774
he plans to return to Georgia
>>
>>3776
you can watch it in the 3 major cities a few times a year.
Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo.
just look up when there's tournaments happening and book some tickets, they're fairly cheap if you sit further up the back.
just be prepared, it sounds like a fun day on paper but really it's slow-paced and boring.
for every 2~5 second sumo match there's like 5~10 minutes of pre-amble, ceremonial shit and "ok getting ready to fight, nah just pretending, ok getting ready to fight, nah just pretending, ok getting rea-nah fake-out again".

Also like 80% of the sumo wrestlers are Mongolians, Russians or from Eastern European countries.
>>
>>20260
>Kyoto
*Nagoya, Fukuoka, Osaka, Tokyo 3 times
>80%
there is a limit of 1 foreigner per stable
>>
>>6690
less probable than Shodai
>>3755
Hokuseiho is listed as Japanese...
>>
>>20279
>>20260
i would not want to be foreign in sumo
they always make sure you know it's a non japanese competing. judges try and fix matches against them too

that's why I love hakuho putting them to shame
>>
>>8159
>there's usually a general for it on /sp/. Don't know if they'll migrate here

I can ask, but we rarely had problems bumping the thread to survive soccer and other happenins; we migrated from /asp/, maybe we go back there?
>>
>>20830
>judges try and fix matches against them too
what the fuck are you talking about?
what the fuck are you remnotedly saying? There's not fucking match fixing with judges, or any for that matter

The sumo match fixing scandal of 2011 was between some wrestlers in the lower Juryo and Makushita divisions offering money to throw fights in the last day of tournaments, and since then they implemented several measures to prevent it from happening, so its completely non existant today. It was never the normal thing and it was never condoned by the association

You can't rig anything as a judge, since cameras exist everyone could perfectly tell bullshit and foul judgement, so how the fuck would judges fix matches to begin with?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc--J1Du6DI

Fuck, this was actually a good finish lmao
>>
>>16454
based retard
>>
>>20830
All sumo matches are fixed you mong.
>>
>>21458
>t. Yakuza poster
go back to 2chan
>>
>>21185
oh wait, /asp/ is kill and /xs/ doesn't have a permanent archive atm, so we stick with /sp/
>>
>>21598
they aren't nigger
>>
File: 1400031437060.jpg (245 KB, 1920x1080)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>
File: ooo.png (15 KB, 82x100)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>21828
>>
>>21828
pretty flexible
>>
>>
>>21877
holy shit, that was sopmething else. Chiyonofuji was one of the best wrestlers we ever had
>>
>>4725
i have to say, i'd climb him like a tree
>>
>>21458
if I plotted all the data of monoii's vs rikishi race I can guarantee you'd see the bias

>that's a nice win you got there tochinoshin, be a shame if someone overturned it
>fight again mong
>>
>>22676
With the advent of cameras you can perfectly tell when Monoiis are being assholes ans lying. It is just not credible

Even if the world was blind and couldnt see that, that it was all exteemely corrupt and judges had indeed the power to call torinaoshis whenever the fuck they wanted, then how do you explain that they call torinaoshi on japanese wrestlers all the fucking time and "steal" their win?
Your theory makes no sense, just watch some sumo, for fucks sake
>>
>>20260
>80% of the sumo wrestlers are Mongolians, Russians or from Eastern European countries
that comment is so fucking stupid, have you even watched sumo ever? maybe you just fucked up and wanted to say "20%"
>>
How's my boy Tochinoshin doing these days?
>>
>>23278
>>10400
>>10417
>>10516
>>
>>23121
just to clarify to anyone comin into this thread
according to this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_sumo_wrestlers
currently there are 42 makuuchi (top devision) wrestlers.
out of the 42 there are 11 foreign wrestlers (26%). 1 bulgarian, 1 georgian, 1 brazillian and 8 mongolians.
both yokozunas are mongolian.
>>
>>23964
of course, but fuck me that's really fucking far from 80%, and even then I bet it drops way below 20% if we account for the mostly irrelevant lower divisions
>>
>>21828
wow, what a photo
>>
>>23121
eh you're right.
but seeing big fat pimply pastey white cunts from ""Mongolia"" or hipster eastern european countries no-one's ever heard of is fucking jarring when you're trying to enjoy a traditional, japanese sumo experience.
>>
>>24212
nah, its fine, they are not the majority and the tradition isn't lost at all. Even if its done by a dude from Fuckalistan you can tell he has been taught the rituals and knows them better than the average japanese. I mean, I understand racism well when its justified (nigs move into a swedish city and fuck it up when they bring their own culture) but in here I don't feel at all like its a worrying case, specially when everyone (both japs and outsiders) is treated like massive trash in the stables to learn and not make a mistake
>>
March Preview
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/202103/preview.html
>>
File: 587697856.jpg (103 KB, 1920x1080)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>9744
>that one time he tried to fucking jump into his opponent
>>
>>24345
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwOq1yiyjpM
>>
File: wtf.png (32 KB, 745x218)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>9835
the one true short guy is Ura, who died in banzuke luck for our sins but will rise from death in 2 basho
>>
I know the basho starts this weekend, but anyone know what time it starts?
>>
ITT: faggots seethe over OP's question.
>>
>>24408
>ITT: faggots seethe over OP's question.
???
>>
>>24399
top division is between 4 and 6 pm JST

but don't miss Juryo, at least the second half of it, with Ura and Enho, so 3 pm

personally I start watching around Makushita 15 where the next yokozuna is ranked at the moment
>>
File: 1605333476331.webm (2.64 MB, 798x540)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB WEBM
>>24422
Awesome, thanks mate
>>
>>24212
the mongolians look exactly the same as the japs. only aoiyama and tochinoshin are visibly white
>>
>>24426
+Shishi
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Snp5jaRK4
>>
>>24422
>makushita 15
>next yokozuna
Oh wow! Who do you mean? I never bothered watching the lower divisions before
>>
>>24933
Hokuseiho
how could you miss this name after 6 months that we talk about him?
>>
>>24936
I saw a video about training where he beats Hakuho
video is gone unfortunately
>>
>>24936
>that we talk
anon, I only got into summon this last january, gotta say I learnt quite quickly about it, but still
>>
>>24936
>after 6 months that we talk about him?
the board is like 3 weeks old
>>
File: Ama vs Wakanoho.webm (1.02 MB, 480x360)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB WEBM
>>
>>12812
Pardon my ignorance, but what the fuck are they doing post wrestling? Theres a shit ton of hype for a two second fight? They're not even wrestling.
>>
>>5281
You have to be 18+ to post here anon.
>>
>>8159
>there's usually a general for it on /sp/.
today sumo thread already died
"it can't be helped" they say in Japan
>>
does anyone know if there ever was a 100% bald riskishi?
>>
Migrate over to the /sp/ thread
>>>/sp/106699012
>>>/sp/106699012
>>>/sp/106699012
/xs/ doesn't have a archiver yet so we'll lose the threads on here which would be annoying for a 2 week long basho.

Reply to
>>
>>25031
>>25032
thanks, I'll keep posting in both threads tho
>>
>>21828
Moving like fucking Baki characters.
>>
>>24212
The Mongolians look like Japs and also grew up on proto-sumo.
>>
okay im a retard who cant figure this shit out. When is the actual 15 day tourney with the top guys? I am just watching lower division at https://www.twitch.tv/karla_sumoist right?
>>
>>25294
You can watch upper division there too but its much later. Like several hours after lower division starts. In the top 2 divisions everyone fights every day of the tourney but the lower ones don't necessarily get to fight every day. I started watching last basho and tried to watch live but upper division doesn't even start until 2am where I live. So now I just watch the highlights on NattoSumo's YouTube channel. He condenses all the top two division matches into 2 10-15 minute videos.
>>
>>25310
Also here's another tip for the newbies: go to here http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/1/
To see the official order and bout matchups.
They start at Jonokuchi division and move up from there. If you refresh the page it will slowly get updated with match results too.
>>
>>3660
just start watching it, lol
>>
Anyone watchin on twitch?
>>
>>3660
Watch grand sumo highlights on youtube, about say .... the january 2020 tournament, and work your way up from there.
They have 15 day tournaments every two months.
>>
>>25294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFACeqNNS0k
>>
>>23022
>With the advent of cameras you can perfectly tell when Monoiis are being assholes ans lying
To add, sumo was the first sport in the history of this planet to institute camera replay.
>>
>>24990
Harumafuji was a beast
>>
anyone got the stream for today?
>>
>>25822
Checked & wrong

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/01/20/378570541/he-invented-instant-replay-the-tv-trick-we-now-take-for-granted#:~:text=AP-,The%20Army-Navy%20game%20on%20Dec.,Verna%2C%20died%20Sunday%20at%2081.
>>
>>12876
Not worth it imo. Theres like a dozen dudes who are at the same tournaments, who couldnt cut it in other sports. Theres barely any instruction, its a vague mockery at best. Hell I got third in a tournie after only training 3 months, because I knew how to arm drag from bjj.
>>
Trips and op becomes a tranny
>>
>>25974
so you sayin i could become top division by training for 5 months in judo , gotcha
>>
>>25974
do you have brain problems? because that's the longest stream of stupidity in this thread so far
>>
>>26018
Pretty much, yea.

>>26067
I'm talking about sumo in the US. Ive competed at the local and national level, and hung up my mawashi for those reasons. A grown man getting into sumo in an english speaking country should heed me words.
>>
>>8159
>https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/
日本語音声がないのは非常に残念だと思うよね
Twitchの再配信者有り難い気持ちしかないわ
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>19736

there is a 18 March version now
>>
>>
nakabi torikumi hype
>>
>>4725
I don't follow sumo, did this guy and Tochinoshin get these aesthetics purely because genetics or their diet and training was different from other rikishi?
>>
Isn't the 春場所 usually in 大阪?
Is it in 東京 this time due to Corona?
>>
>>28907
training.
>>
>>29003
What did they do different from the others?
>>
>>28262
Tight watched that the other day. So I'm new to sumo obviously these guys are humble and nice trying to help up others, but I've never seen anyone take a helping hand. Is it just a pride thing?
>>
>>21185
>>21730
>>25021
/xs/ has an archive now and the board is slower, so even with the lower bump limit threads should last at least as long as they do on /sp/

maybe we could try moving here?
>>
>>28907
>>29312
I don't know about Tochinoshin, but Chiyonofuji was known for being the first notable guy at the time to incorporate western style weightlifting into his strength & conditional training. He also did a shitton of calisthenics on top of that.
>>
>>29762
the internal 4chan archive? that's not permanent
can't see /xs/ archived somewhere else

https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=4chan#List_of_Fuuka_Archivers_by_board
>>
>>29766
https://archive.wakarimasen.moe/
>>
>>29773
ah, didn't know
it's written in Rust:

https://github.com/miyachan/torako
>>
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/40678-height-and-weight-data-at-march-2021-banzuke-date/
>>
https://sumowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Controversy
>>
>>29763
Thanks. Are PEDs common in sumo?
>>
>>29900
sort of

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comments/c28yrh/are_steroids_toleratedallowed_in_sumo/
>>
File: stable.jpg (36 KB, 730x487)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
It seems there's one or two sumo dojos in buenos aires(argentina),where I live.
I might try it out once lockdown gets relaxed.
I already do grip training and general conditioning,it could be fun.
>>
>>4725
is this achievable?
>>
>>29912
Considering how much he weighed, I don't think it's impossible to achieve that after years of weight training
>>
File: bloat meals.jpg (76 KB, 746x914)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
would kiriakos be a good rikishi if he decided to train grappling and sumo?
He has been shown to have good pushing power,he pushes a ledge full of plates and without wheels.
>for some reason his belly is a perfect ball rather than sofer like other rikishi
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNLabC04G0
Not to be a hater but can someone break down this fight? (turkish folk wrestlers vs sumo champion)
Would the sumo have won under sumo rules?
>>
>>29925
>Would the sumo have won under sumo rules?
no. turkish dude did a nice reverse, sumo guy would have lost the bout i nsumo rules too
>>
>>29773
it works with /wsg/ videos, nice!

https://torako.wakarimasen.moe/file/torako/wsg/image/1616/51/1616514317796.webm
>>
>>24990
Out here pulling out the redirection kata
>>
>>
>>
>>
Terunofuji repromoted to ozeki
>>
File: driving on salvia.gif (2.15 MB, 320x240)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB GIF
>>3751
>I still have no idea why theres a wizard in the ring casting spells
>>
>>30924
he is the ref
>>
>>30924
He's actually an antigravity wizard. He's there to make sure the rikishi don't get pulled down too hard by gravity. That way they can move around faster and make it more entertaining for us.
>>
>>30846
he fucking died
>>
>>30976
he didn't do a good job here >>30846
>>
>>31003
Lower divisions get lower ranked wizards. Unfortunately this one was not wizarding as well as he should have been. He will definitely not be getting promoted for a while after this... may even get demoted
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
did yall see lil enho pick that big dude up and slam him the other day
>>
File: May banzuke draft.png (21 KB, 300x525)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
first banzuke draft for May
>>
>>31503
Wow - there was a lot of subtle stuff going on in that short match
>>
>>31502
Blue belt did a good job cant stand the red belt. He looks fugly
>>
We should start a between basho general here or something, since there's little traffic when it's not going on.
>>
>>29696
its a pride thing, or rather a face thing. you might think youre showing good sportsmanship by helping the guy you beat but
1. it may be seen by him as a form of gloating after you beat him
2. it may make him seen as weak and in need of help.
sumo culture is all about being tough and continuing on. you have guys with sprained/broken limbs hobble away instead of just calling in a wheelchair atfer the bout, because its all about the appearance
>>
>>17835
Not many other sports start with a high velocity naked head butt
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>17601
>>31895
160 kg of rikishi fat turning your brain into paste
>>
File: banzuke BBM prediction.png (241 KB, 805x619)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>31639

https://tachiai.org/2021/03/28/looking-toward-the-natsu-banzuke/

https://www.bbm-japan.com/article/detail/16951
>>
>>31924
it's similar to Hochi and Chunichi shimbun
>>
>>31931
>>31924

so, Hidenoumi is the rebus to solve
there is someone in the forum putting him at M3
>>
>>29922
yes
>>
I really hope Terunofuji does well. If his body holds out he'll set a good example for the sport as a whole, and hopefully others will aspire to have his determination and focus on mental and physical strength.
>>
>>31639
hoshoryu at m4? based.
>>
>>32130
>based
It's actually the so called "banzuke luck": an over-promotion due to several rikishi above him with a negative record. Hopefully his uncle will not make dumplings with him if he fails now that he entered the top group (ok, not a sure thing yet):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_sumo_terms#j%C5%8Di-jin
>>
File: kak.jpg (62 KB, 636x360)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
the NSK posted a video about Kakuryu with a bit of his history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzBYRuUAYo
>>
>>31639
sorry, I've got Terunofuji wrong, it's O2w
>>
File: vote yokozuna.png (153 KB, 649x489)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/#p-whoWillBeChamp

>inb4 Akiseyama wins this
>>
>>>/wsg/3858587
>>
Post basho blues...
>>
>>31911
This ref got fucked up in the full video. Another ref saw it and filled in immediately.
>>
>>32190
Voted Akiseyama, however it'll be Terunofuji if he can keep going, otherwise we gotta wait for some unexpected person to rise to the top, hopefully it's not a long wait.
>>
>>30846
News on this guy?
>>
>>32532
Numb from the neck down and hospitalised but alive and speaking
>>
>>20260
>80%

the only Hungarian and the only Bolivian just retired:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-Japanese_sumo_wrestlers
>>
>>32539
It's still incredible that they moved him the way they did. Honestly I think the damage was already done and it's just a fluke accident, but they really should have a doctor present.
>>
>>31934
>>31639

they can put Wakatakakage at K2w and Hidenoumi at M4e
>>
>>32539
Is it permanent?

>>32572
That was some amateur handling of injuries if I've ever seen it.
>>
>>32716
I hope it's not permanent. I've just seen updates from people translating stuff on twitter, they say it was initially reported as 'cervical spine compression' but now they are just 'hoping for the best' with no news. It's pretty much being swept under the rug which makes me think the worst.
>>
前頭

>Western commentators always put an accent on the し and pull it long
>>
>>35187
Why would you listen to whitu piggu commentaries anyway?
>>
>>35230
Even the Twitch stream switches to NHK World for the 幕の内, doesn't it?
>>
>>35249
I don't watch tw*tch streams, I just wait for based Natto to upload the individual bouts with far superior graphics.
>>
>>35249
There will come a time NHK discovers twitch and there won't be streams. You'll have to get used to Abema instead.
>>
>>35426
>Abema
I get おま国'd over at Abema for anything except Mahjong.
The site is completely unusable.
>>
>>35464
Yea I would gladly watch sumo on the official abema app if I could but for some godforsaken reason Japan likes to be anal about the weirdest things for no goddamn reason.
>>
>>35255
>watching natto's memeshit graphics when kintamayama exists
>>
File: orora.jpg (159 KB, 1717x1073)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>20260
>80% of the sumo wrestlers are Mongolians, Russians or from Eastern European countries.
Only 80% among good wrestlers. Japan has fallen behind. You'd never see a Mongolian or Eastern European in Orora's shape. It's like the Japanese talent pool is so shallow they have to take guys who are fat and nothing else.
>>
>>35497
I wish they'd allow even 2 foreigners per stable. It'd really help getting more talent in.
>>
>>35499
I'm 90% sure they do. Tochi and Aioyama are in the same stable.
>>
>>35502
That only happens when a stable is closed and they have to move elsewhere. They make exceptions. They can't take any new young foreigners if they have 1 already.
>>
>>4725
This is what Japanese people gotta go back and stop being fucking weebs and fapping all day. Be the chad's their fathers fought for!
>>
>>35496
>he doesn't appreciate the soul of the broken english and spic-tier dragonball OC gyoji
ngmi
>>
>>35497
Holy fuck, he looks straight out of My 600 lb Life.
>>
>>
>>3660
watch nhk during a sumo tournament. Make sure to root for miitakeumi because hes based and the white guy from georgia because hes white.
>>
>>20579
>Hokuseiho
He's mongolian
>>
>>35871
I know... see the dots?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.