[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why do skateboarders and bicyclists hate the electric versions so much? My electric skateboard goes 25 miles, my ebike goes 50mi, including thousands of feet of elevation gains. You can still kick and pedal for exercise, you just get a way better trip. But man do I get a lot of haters talking shit when I pass.
>>
>>33615
because I wanna do tricks and pushing is fun anyway. I don't just wanna stand on the board like a goofball.
>>
>>33616
I mean I have a normal skateboard too. It's not like I bring the electric one to the skate park. I ride around the streets of san francisco, zipping up hills at 30mph. The ironic thing is it's usually kids walking, carrying their board, who yell shit. That, or out a car window. It's never the ones skating.
>>
>>33615
Because electric skateboards and electric bikes are just miserable versions of their normal counterparts when you're using them manually, which is why no one actually does that.
I definitely think that the normal skate park crowd has wildly overcompensated in hating electric skateboards though, since most of them can't or don't ride long distance anyways. I longboard everywhere and haven't really felt the need to shit talk someone.

That aside, I've really wanted to experiment with an electric skateboard that has a very limited battery purely for KERS up and down hills. Just one nice hub motor, a mini vesc, and a small lipo. That might not be totally miserable to push the rest of the time.
>>
>>33634
>I longboard everywhere and haven't really felt the need to shit talk someone.
because you're a longboarder lol
>>
>>33615
cruiser board is lighter to carry in hand for commuting
>>
>>33615
because it's usually hipsters riding them.
>>
I'm a mountain biker and I don't have a problem with ebikes themselves but the riders then to be newer and don't have proper trail etiquette. For one thing, these guys will zoom past walkies at full speed on the connectors where most of them are and they won't call out or have any bells. Fuck walkies but these guys are pushing to get all of us banned from the trails and this just convinces more of them that we're the safety concern, not them, when they're the ones who walk down singletrack with their headphones on
>>
>>33615
Heavy, generally poor build quality, riders generally aren't very skilled on or off road, doesn't really offer health benefits
>>
Because this isn't /n/ and such electric vehicles are meant for transport rather then extreme sports.

E-boards aren't meant to or able to be tricked on like a normal board.
E-bikes are just less powerful shitty versions of dirtbike/motocross bikes rather then something for bmx or even road biking.

The people who are into motor sports choose gas powered motors because they are objectively better in performance.
Electric motors just can't compare.

And to the people who aren't into motorsports, well they aren't into motor sports for a reason.
>>
File: whaddahyell.jpg (178 KB, 885x560)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>33615
You remember Segways? You basically look like a Segway guy and you kind of defeat the aspects that Cyclists and Skateboarders enjoy about their respective hobby. Cyclists enjoying far as hell on their leg strength and even the most novice skateboarders can find value in it just being a board with wheels you can do tricks on.
>>
>>33615
post body op and ill tell you why.
>>
>>33615
Pushing is the coolest thing ever. The mark of a street skater is a good looking, powerful, stylish push. Total opposite to the default stance you take on an electric which makes you look like a dork
>>
>>33966
Pic related
>>
The pushback my friends with ebikes get are from cyclists who don't want them ruining the trails with their baby motorcycles. But the irony there is how the cyclists were getting pushback earlier from hikers who didn't want mountain bikes tearing up their hiking trails.

I think it's just the general influx of newbies into any hobby, especially when the barrier to entry gets lowered. I've seen it happen with quadcopters, where you had to have some skill in putting one together from parts. Now, anyone can buy a cheap drone and buzz the shit out of everyone.
>>
>>33615
Mountain biker here.

I am mainly against eMTBs because of how dangerous some of them can be. An eMTB allows a rider to easily go faster than their skill can justify and faster than what the trail is designed for. This coupled with eMTBers typically being new to the sport or just old is a recipe for disaster.

Also, they rarely know trail etiquette. I had some out of control loser nearly ran we off a climbing trail.
>>
>>33622
>electric skateboard
>I ride around the streets of san francisco
knew it
>>
Ebike costs as much as motorcycle.
Plus all cyclists are gay.
>>
>>33615
Because, most new ebike riders have little trail experience. So they just zoom past hikers, or worst case scenario they destroy features because they think that they are too dangerous. But the same thing happens whenever alot of new people join a sport. I don't really care about ebikes or boards on the road.
>>
File: Satanismsport.jpg (27 KB, 458x341)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>33615
>>
File: zuck.jpg (470 KB, 2000x1333)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
e bikes are sick, easily the best transportation I could imagine for a city. it's only a matter of time before they get made impractical by rules. e skateboard just looks goofy
>>
>>38122
>e bikes are sick, easily the best transportation I could imagine for a city.
An yet the largely unrestricted power means I have idiots who can barely control the thing nearly running me off the road/cycle paths.
>>
>>38175
I can't wait until there are power limits, speed limits, dedicated paths which only serve a tiny area, thanks mom
>>
>>33615
Ebikers on the road are rude as fuck to normal cyclists. For instance I'm blowing up on a hill going as hard as I can and e-bike guy has to buzz me and bump my elbow. Shit kills your momentum and they know it.
>>
>>38326
Regulation is a good thing yes. Tell your mom not to shoot down the narrow ass sidewalk at 30 mph on a busy ass day when she hardly even knows how to actually ride a bike.
>>
>>33615
if i wanted to commute i'd get an electric bike for sure. but i only ride my bike for fun and having an electric motor carry me everywhere just takes all the fun away for me. actually pedaling for 50 miles is a lot more rewarding.
>>
>>33622
Are you a sponsored skateboarder from the san francisco bay area?
>>
Because they tend to be even bigger assholes on the road than regular cyclists. I’ve seen a guy on an e-bike/moped run a red light like it was nothing, never seen a cyclist to shit like thast
>>
>>39524
Do shit like that.* Fuck I need to wake up
>>
>>39524
Really? I see cyclists run red lights ALL the time. It's probably one of the primary reasons why people hate cyclists.
>>
>>38475
>Regulation is a good thing yes
jesus CHRIST dude
>>
>>38175
Ebike pedal assist is pretty chill. Less uphill, more down hill.

A couple trails near me have people with full blown electric motor cycles and they come up your ass and actually honk at you. Shits ridiculous.
>>
Almost impulse bought a $1400 ebike while at the sports store. Did I dodge a bullet?
>>
>>40144
drivers licenses are a good thing yes.
>>
>>40976
No, absolutely not
>>
>>40976
Only for car cucks. I think they need more fees and taxes.
>>
>>41002
>>41079
your gonna change your tune when you get run down by some fat whale going full speed.
>>
>>40945
Yes 1400$ could get you like 300 calzones. Better options are always available
>>
File: Ridin dirty.webm (2.93 MB, 576x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>33615
Motorcyclists here
I also hate those
>>
>>42583
Do ebikers pull up next to you and give you a what up nod thinking they can hang?
>>
>>33615
You will never be a real cyclist (so long as you only ride an e-bike)
>>
>>
>>44891
I LIKE THAT
>>
>>40945
If it was $1400 it would of been shit anyway. You need around 2k + for anything half decent
>>
>>33615
50miles for an ebike isnt that impressive desu.

Also idk where this idea has come from that there's a bias against ebikes. My father rides an ebike and i've not seen anyone comment on it when i've been out riding with him.
>>
>>42605
They do and it's funny. Take their little motor away and they ride like 10 mph max.
>>
>>47945
i dont say anything to people that pass me on ebikes because im not an autistic retarded asshole. but i am definitely silently judging them for being pussies.
>>
>>44891
this image is pure distilled /n/
>>
>>33873
>The people who are into motor sports choose gas powered motors because they are objectively better in performance.
>Electric motors just can't compare.

They can, it's just what most people are acquainted to are chinese made, non-license required motors. eBikes can be more deadly compared to petrol bikes because they have have more torque, which would make low-siding or high-siding easier, and most people don't ride with helmets on bicycles, so the moment they get on a eBike that is serious business, they may inadvertently give themselves brain damage overestimating their skills while underestimating the bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR8tsw8Z65A
>>
Electric skateboard are a pretty awesome invention as far as transportation tech goes, but right now they're only adopted by basedboys who will never be able to do a rolling ollie and have to cope somehow. They will never replace real skateboarding or even get in the way much of skateboarders because skateboarding is the gnarliest thing ever invented.
E-bike on the other hand is going to completely ruin the act of mountain biking and downhill riders will forever be doomed to have to deal with e-bikers riding backwards up their trail and all sorts of issues. It's exactly what happened to skiers in the 80s and 90s when snowboards came along. It will NEVER go away for you, your "sport" is essentially ruined now. Video related. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZDEWBzneY
Motorcycles are just as gay as e-bikes also
>>
I haven't run into hate from the non-electric riders yet, but I haven't had those cyclists wearing spandex on their carbon fiber bikes next to me on my commute yet.
What I have noticed is that people hate on my onewheel. Older couple around the corner gives me dirty looks when I slow down and give them space on the sidewalk while on my onewheel, but on my ebike they smile and wave no matter how fast I zoom past them.
>>
>>47945
pretty sure mountbike chads are getting mad at the ebikers for fucking up trails and shit. combine that with the amount of people who havent ridden a bike in 20 years riding these things around big citys and being fuckwits and thats where your hate comes from.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>33615
I hate E-bikes with a flaming passion because they are essentially made poorly due to conforming to theoretical demands from the consumer. In other words, E-bikes could be incredible, but they're sub-par, heavy, over-priced pieces of absolute horseshit because manufacturers targetted 'derrrher i cant pedlle good need battery' instead of designing something 1/10 as heavy that doesn't ruin the fucking frame.

Pedal assist isn't even faster than regular bikes most times due to restrictions, but generally they have to compensate for their own weight so they're totally inefficient as far as weight-bearing goes.

long-story short, E-bikes could be great but they should be compatible with regular modern frames, add 20% weight (not 100%) and cost 20% more (note 300%)

pic unrelated
>>
>>33873
>gas powered motors because they are objectively better in performance.
>Electric motors just can't compare.
volkswagen IDR just crushed multiple world records held by internal combustion engines
>>
As a cyclist, I don't understand the appeal and most of the people on them travel too fast, without enough control and without any understanding of cycling etiquette, making them a danger on cycling paths
>>
>>33615
Almost bought one until I saw another person's combust into flames and thought

Nah I'm ok for now>>33615
>>33615
>>
>>51127
can you describe your ideal ebike?
>>
File: konaw.jpg (232 KB, 1055x900)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>51261
Yeah, I call it 'boost to cadence', in other words, a super-light system that only assists your pedal when you are at a full stop up until you reach your preferred speed. When you come to a stop sign/light or you had to slow your craft down considerably for whatever reason, you flip some sort of switch/button and it delivers a pre-determined variable power to your rear cassette. It's literally just a 'boost' to get you back up to speed, instead of these auto-pedal-mobiles that truly steal the functionality of a light, simple bicycle frame.
The addition would be cheap, like $200-400 highest retail price, and it would be compatible with any bike that you could attach a rear rack to.
The downside is that it would need an additional chain or belt that would be received by your rear cassette such that one of the sprockets wouldn't be available during shifting. It would be the largest sprocket because during climbs you'd activate the boost.
The advantages:
-adding a mere 3-5lbs to your bike, note 20
-being able to switch the battery out with a charged one on the fly.
-no fucking around with the bottom bracket or otherwise ruining the frame and making the bike unusable if you decide to go battery-less
-not reliant on it at all, just a way to regain your speed, or to add some power in certain maneuvers.

I don't like anything out on the market, like I said overpriced spoonfeed products that don't make you into a better rider. Or wheel-based configurations that require special tire/rim/spoke setups that substitute your good rims for shittier ones.
>>
>>51267
that's a good idea, anon, you should try to build one. it seems like it's mechanically simple, the hard part might be programming it
>>
>>49140
My city has rental ebikes and guys ride them on the sidewalks way too fast with poor handling skills to boot.
>>
>>38531
kek
>>
>>51280
This is true for all e-something rentals.
>>
>>51267
This is a nice idea, haven't seen anything on the market that resembles it. I think a 250 watt hub motor on the front wheel might be a fair option so you can have a fully interchangeable bike, provided you have an extra wheel.
Depending on how much you plan to use it the battery can be easy enough to be made pretty light, though it'll probably have to stay under 200-300 watt hrs
I'm not really sure what you want the 'switch' to do that a normal throttle won't do better though.

Thanks for the little project, I'm probably gonna look into this a bit more and see of I cant cobble something together for shits and giggles
>>
>>33676
Get over yourself already no one fucking cares
>>
>>38122
He just ruined it
>>
>>33615
Extremely low quality. The only thing that beats withheld from the general public free energy ufo drive type propulsion is you propulsion.
Much out there to not travel to and from actually.
>>
>>49140
emtb riders around my area will cut straight up through vegetation instead of ride the switch back climbs
>>
I'd be happy if I could just get a skateboard with brakes. I'm not bothered about the electric motor, I can push fine. It would just be nice to not have to hop off every time I get to a hill and want to avoid bombing it.
>>
>>52689
learn longboarding and proper carving you wont need brakes ever again
>>
How do I learn Electric Skateboard?
>>
>>52689
>complaining about getting off a skateboard
>push fine
i don't think you do

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.