[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: quer_Dia_Meditation-1.jpg (48 KB, 540x405)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Previous: >>7466

How is everyone's training going? What style do you do and what do you cross-train in if anything?
>>
>>32744
>How is everyone's training going?
With gyms closed I have almost no motivation to keep training
>What style do you do and what do you cross-train in if anything?
Shotokan, used to train at a wing chun place because a friend asked me to, I was reluctant because I thought wing chun was shit, but the teacher was so good I stuck around, I think his teacher did boxing
>>
>>32768
>With gyms closed I have almost no motivation to keep training
feels bad
Yeah I've heard of a few kung fu guys who've had experience boxing or kickboxing so there must be something there, hell anderson silva uses some wing chun
>>
>>32744
>How is everyone's training going?
Not very well. My skills have been reclining since I don't have partners to work with. Due to covid the head instructor was no longer able to come and teach classes, so I pretty much have been running everything since I am the highest rank there and the only black belt remaining. Luckily for some of the students they had family members in class so they could practice some partner work, but for me I haven't done bunkai or sparring in over a year which sucks. After reopening after the initial lockdown we lost some students who quit, but just about everyone was ready for rank promotion, so it felt good working on polishing everyone's stuff up to a test level quality, promoting them, and teaching them new material. Unfortunately, due to financial troubles, students, getting sick, and injuries the enrollment numbers went way down. Thankfully there were some kids signing up probably because there parents wanted them to get some exercise after being in lockdown for so long. The numbers were still too low and the gym whose space we use did not think we deserved our two hour timeslots which we have an hour long kids class and an hour long adult class and had them merged. It ended up being less of a merge and everyone who was in the kids class quitting. We were left with three students. Then we went into lockdown again. As things were slowly opening back up recently the timeslots we had were given away. It's pretty bleak.

I should probably find another gym to further my training, but it would still probably suck since you can't really do partner work with the covid restrictions.
>What style do you do and what do you cross-train in if anything?
Shotokan with Japanese Ju Jutsu and Ryukyu Kobudo. If I were to find a new place to train I wouldn't really mind if it was something different.
>>
Why do so many kids who do Karate turn into bullies?
>>
>>32792
>>
>>32792
Hasn't been my direct observation.

Maybe your local culture has issues.
>>
What kind of non-matrial art workout program do you think best supplements karate?
My workouts have kinda devolved into random bullshit that hits muscle groups.
Only thing I am consistent with is using a ab wheel. Everything else is sort of whatever I feel like that day.
Example of one of my workouts:
Overhead press, sure why not.
Now bodyweight squats done to failure, ok.
Curls, check.
Bent over rows, cool.
Ok now lets do yoga for a half hour for shits and giggles.

What I am saying is I probably need more structure in my workouts.
>>
>>32792
do they though
>>32803
lots of dynamic excersices that work your legs and core, burpies and shit are good. Look at boxing workouts and customize them
>>
>>32744
What would make a good format for points karate?

I keep thinking that just adding low/front kicks may be enough to stop the linear blitz
>>
>>32835
Points karate will always be shit
>>
>>32835
The principle of karate of all types is to try to end the fight with one powerful blow
Therefore a soft contact type of competition stands in opposition to the foundation of karate

That is what they are simulating with the over emphasized kiais to score points. But that's just it, it's a simulation of an ideal rather than reflection of reality

In karate, points should only be awarded for techniques in line with the karate way, as in full power attacks.
Points will be awarded based on effectiveness of the techniques, not by how ideal they look.

Ippon will only be given if a technique staggers, knocks down, or otherwise makes your opponent flinch

This is the way
>>
>>32835
Don't know why you guys don't just kickbox. Karate guys seem to hate gloves so just do lethwei style fights but without headbutts or the retarded double ko rule. Point fighting seems to be directly responsible for the declawing of karate in the western world. Bunk concept.
>>
>>32854
>Don't know why you guys don't just kickbox

Karate guys did this already that's where k1 and American style kickboxing come from. I think some people have got nostalgia for the early point sparring competitions though. It was still ostensibly soft contact, but the judges did not actually enforce that out of budo autism. Personally I think point karate with the stop and go, but without disqualifications for excessive contact could be a pretty cool sport.

https://youtu.be/aiHIvSZRxXg
>>
https://youtu.be/dsDtQREAp78?t=87
Uechi-ryu bunkai, half the attacks in this are silly, but the other half are cool

https://youtu.be/Ai1HtkMMrEc
Ko-do-ryu pushing hands exercise, regardless of its practicality, you can see many kata applications that in other settings wouldn't make sense

https://youtu.be/oXmWxkyfWiE
Goju-ryu applications from Taira-sensei

https://youtu.be/erClOX4Xt5s
Kabayashi Shorin-ryu Kakie, another pushing hands exercise
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIrDwGnPP5w
Just watched this interview and it was great, really recommend all the other ones in this channel
>>
>>32813
>dynamic excersices
Do you mean stretch/warmup, as that is normally what is meant by that term.

>Look at boxing workouts and customize them
90% of their training is running and doing boxing related stuff. At least that is how the boxers I know work out.
>>
>>32982
Dynamic stretches are for pre-exercise, static stretches are for post-exercise
>>
>>32982
sorry I more meant stuff like burpies jump boxes and shit I don't know the actual names stuff where your whole body is rapidly moving from the ground and up utilizing your core it's late here sorry
>>
>>32744

I train in Seienjuku Karate. I'm going to start cross training in Boxing or Judo once Covid restrictions are lifted and we can train again.
>>
>>33045
never heard of it what's it like? I really want to do Judo but any judoka I know that I ask tells me not to because of my bad back
>>
>>33047

It's a full-contact style similar to Kyokushin. It's an offshoot of Yoshukai.
>>
anyone else train more than one karate? I did boxing for a couple of years and try to keep those habits too, I want to start it again though but I feel like I don't really know any groundwork but it is really that important if I don't care about competing in the octagon
>>
>>33210
>but I feel like I don't really know any groundwork but it is really that important if I don't care about competing in the octagon
Grappling is important anon. If you do karate for any of these reasons, then grappling is useful.

>self defense
Grappling is essential for self defense. While not every street fight goes to the ground like BJJ nuthuggers say, fights do end up on the ground often enough that you should have some knowledge on what to do there. Better than going "guess I'll die lol" if someone sloppily tackles you or you trip and fall.

>being the best martial artist you can be
Grappling is essential to being a well-rounded martial artist. It'll also make your karate better. You can throw hands with much more confidence if you're not worried about getting taken down.

>pursuit of karate for the sake of karate
People have made the argument that grappling has always been a part of karate with Okinawans having (limited) groundwork and some bunkai in certain kata actually being ground moves. Funakoshi and Jigoro Kano were homies as well.

tl;dr you don't have to learn grappling/groundwork if you don't want to but you're gimping yourself if you don't
>>
>>33216
I mean I know SOME groundwork but its super basic, like getting someone off you and striking, problem is I just can't afford BJJ and don't want to scrap one of the karate's and I don't know what else has good ground work, I can't do Judo because of my back either
>>
>>33216
>fights do end up on the ground often enough
maybe for fools, but consider the principle of stand up fighting is distance management if someone takes you down and your grappling skills are anything like your stand up then they're useless to you

point is if you've been training in stand up fighting for any length of time it should be a virtual impossibility that someone regular schmuck takes you down because that would mean they entered your space when you didn't want them to be there
simple as
>>
>>33232
isn't that the logic everyone used when BJJ was becoming a thing then they got rekt
>>
>>33232
>>33237
You should learn grappling for self defense to be well rounded and prepared, but the fact of the matter is that a skilled striker vs a normal guy is going to heem him way before it gets anwywhere near clinching range. Its good to be able to strike and grapple, but if you are only going to do one I would pick striking since you can beat multiple people and how likely are you to be assaulted by a bjj practitioner or a wrestler anyway?

There are multiple videos of people with boxing training taking on multiple guys, which is something you cannot even do as a pure grappler.

https://youtu.be/8cAuLDyXGoc
>>
>>33275
I don't need any extra grappling training since I already do goju
>>33237
I never saw anyone in one of those gracie challenge videos that actually knew how to fight
>>
>>33275
Wish I still boxed. Did it for a bit and keep doing drills but I'm probably trash
>>
>>33237
Yes. But honestly if you care about self defense you get a gun. Beyond that everything else is fun and maybe useful kinda but martial arts are a supplement and theres no real need to train anything you dont enjoy.
>>
>>33301
can't carry knives and guns in every country
>>
>>32744
GSPs legendary katas

https://youtu.be/ATyj1Av3Y6E

https://youtu.be/1fjNrwTPrSk
>>
>>33308
You can if youre not a pussy. That said if youre afraid of the pigs keep a heavy padlock on your keychain and a short lanyard. You now have an improvised flail with which you can easily beat someone to death.
>>
>>33321
Goddamn kyokushin katas are so fucking bad
>>
>>33342
You have to wonder is Oyama was taking the piss in a way.
>>
>>33417
He was pretty much a fraudster
Sneaky Korean tricks, used a fake name to make people think he was Japanese
>>
>>33425
He didn't take a fake name to make people think he was Japanese, he just took a Japanese name that is basically the equivalent of calling yourself "Mr. Korea"

also he wasn't a fraudster outside of the bull thing, he said he was going to teach people to be badasses and he did, and Kyokushin guys can kick the ass of anyone who laughs at their shit kata because precise kata form is the least relevant thing in karate to actual fighting
>>
>>33498
Yes that is why I think it is funny like he is joking. What I have to keep kata for it to be karate still ? Ok here are some kata.....
>>
>>33237
Yes.

This is why the first generation of good MMA strikers like Randy Couture, Chuck Lidell, and Tito Ortiz were all good-to-excellent wrestlers.
>>
>>33527
a wrestler with basic kickboxing has always been the counter to a bjj guy. Even Royce's first challenging fight was a karate guy who knew how to sprawl lol.
>>
What do you guys think of Villari Studios, if you know of it?
I haven't trained for years but I got my black belt as a kid, liked it pretty well. It's a Shaolin-Kenpo fusion and my instructor was a pretty successful sparring guy, office full of trophies.
Never taken any other martial arts though so wondering how it stacks up to other styles.
>>
>>33562
>Villari Studios
Is this it??

https://youtu.be/8vU1g9DXnRs

Looks mcdojo mode to me desu
>>
>>33570
I could take this a lot more seriously if the uke wasn't acting like such a clown
some of it is kind of bullshitty but not everything he says is bad but when the guy comes in with that retarded straight punch with the same foot forward that nobody in history has ever actually done in a fight, and then flops over like a puppet that just got its strings cut then it invalidates everything good he mightve said
>>
>>33570
Yeah, looks like. I don't actually know anything about Villari himself, just that my instructor trained under him. He won a variety of sparring titles and actually trained and won a WACO kickboxing title some years after I stopped going, so I think the forms are at least useful, if not spectacular.
It's just practicing really easy stuff you can't mess up combined with memorizing forms and a lot of stretching and pushups and other exercises, a little meditation, at least the kids class I went to at my dojo was like that.
It's very Americanized, we'd kneel and tie our belts, then bow to the flag, the master (a picture of Villari), and the instructors, when first entering the dojo.
>>33572
My instructor was kind of serious because he was pretty intense himself, but whether it was due to being the kids class or just how he was, he was more upbeat, not afraid to make some jokes in class, you had to be attentive, eyes forward and do the exercises properly, but other than that it was pretty friendly, not meant to be intimidating at all.
Nearly all of the move start off responding to a right front punch because some study said that most fights start that way, and so that's what Villari based it all on I guess.
That may seem dumb but it's meant to be self-defense for ordinary people like oldschool karate, but for modern America, if you think of what the average untrained drunk does without thinking, a right punch seems reasonable enough to me. A few of them start with chokeholds or something, though.
One of the things everyone had to practice over and over the most was "eight point blocking" which was just four blocks with each arm for different angles of strikes. The low block is a little questionable I think, but good otherwise.
He's giving a little demonstration here but some of the stuff he does is stuff my instructor would say not to...like a blind spinning back kick for instance, he was big on not taking your eyes off your opponent.
>>
>>33572
>>33574
Yeah it is pretty par for the American karate stuff where they all have boxing experience / long pants kickboxing know many legit things but also cannot let go of the then I knee him an snap his spine shenanigans lol
>>
>>33584
Why do you dislike knee strikes?
>>
>>33591
Its not that its that he says he is going to break the guys spine. The human body doesn't work that way.
>>
>>33593
Yeah, that's definitely played up for the cameras. You don't break any bones or joints in any of the moves I learned from the studio, though there is a grisly move, surviving holdover from old shaolin stuff I guess, where you poke their eyes when they're already down and pull them up by their eye sockets. Freaked me out as a kid, that form is apparently supposed to be when someone's come for your life kek
>>
>>33594
It is an issue with a lot of non contact people is they will say stuff like that. You can damage a persons spine by striking them in the back, which is why it is illegal to do so in combat sports, but those rules are to prevent freak accidents not the norm. Same idea alot of people will say stuff like we will use a sidekick to the knee to break their leg. You can in theory do this, but it is again a freak accident type of situation on average it will hurt the person it might do cumulative damage hyper extend it a bit etc but most times you are not going to cave their leg in so you can't rely on stuff like that as some kind of one and done attack.
>>
>>33595
I'd like to point out here that the head coach of the USA olympic karate team while during training, and I witnessed this with my own 2 eyes was showing someone how to use a palm strike to push someones nose bone up into their brain

that kind of shit goes all the way to the top
I stayed quiet and knew my place, I was getting paid a shit ton to be there and wasn't about to screw it up for myself
>>
>>33595
I'm with you on the spine (it'd be dislocation with maybe fractures), but I feel confident in saying that even out of shape I can absolutely sidekick someone in the side of the knee and break their joint if I lean at a good angle and they don't move.
This takes the form of the supporting muscles around their knee tearing, not a bone (what would even break? The kneecap? The ends of the bones?), but that's the practical outcome is you fuck up their knee.
>>33596
Kek
He wasn't technically wrong, it's just that you'd have to be pretty beefy and a knee to the nose is much more likely and dangerous. But the eye socket part of the skull is very fragile, and in the brain slicing case it's a combination of exact placement, misfortune, and nose cartilage (not bone).
You're both right about experts and "experts" being overly enthusiastic and exaggerating stuff, but you both seem to vastly overestimate how durable human bodies are. The reason they don't break all the time is that they're really strong in the normal use cases people use them for.
>>
>>33507
fucked up thing is for some reason Shokei Matsui is adding more Kata in the curriculum for IKO, to get to 9th kyu you need to know 5 kata. They are all similar and easy as fuck but its so dumb
>>
>>33600
Again it can happen doesn't mean that it will. Think of it like punching someone in the jaw you might ko them you might not.

https://youtu.be/kcerBvftLHc
>>
>>33596
damn I am sad to hear that. I thought sports karate people had a pretty pragmatic outlook these days.
>>
>>33605
at the high level they are redpilled about what sport karate is, they'll say it themselves it's a game of tag. They talk about karate and use the word sport.

but they also think they know how to fight too
>>
>>33603
Well, yeah. If you get shot in the chest once or even three times you may or may not die, after all.
Saying "kick the side of the knee to bust it" is hardly the same as pretending you hold the secret of the seven step exploding heart palm technique, though. So long as their foot is planted and you angle a little down and hit the actual side of the knee and actually follow through with your hips, that knee will have a hard time not breaking. Nothing secret technique about that, it's like a curb stomp for knees.
That's what makes cat stance so great. I don't know what the actual name for cat stance is, something moon maybe? One leg front with very little weight, I think the Karate Kid did it when his leg got messed up maybe? You know what I'm talking about. It's a "weak" stance but super mobile and easy to no sell leg strikes. Also, while my instructor never mentioned this and I've not heard it mentioned much, you can block a lot of knees and kicks with your own knee just by shifting it to guide them, and it's quicker than blocking with your hands. Though that might just be because anyone who's ever tried to kick me was just a scrub, I don't know.
>>
>>33612
>So long as their foot is planted and you angle a little down and hit the actual side of the knee and actually follow through with your hips, that knee will have a hard time not breaking. Nothing secret technique about that, it's like a curb stomp for knees.
>have a hard time not breaking
If it were so easy, we'd see more heemed knees in kickboxing
>>
>>33612
It is funny you bring up daniels bummed knee in karate kid because that is actually fairly realistic especially for a skinny dyel like daniel. But even there in that movie his knee is not broken. Miyagi is able to get him well enough to compete through massage.
>>
>>33617
Kickboxers don't stay flatfooted and wide stanced all the time, and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to try to separate your opponent's ligaments kek
>>33618
It's realistic in that it's dislocated because there's no mystery bone plate on the side of the knee to shatter, it's semi-unrealistic in that relocating it lets him ignore his damaged muscles and kick with it anyways without screaming in agony. Also that was a braced elbow strike, which is bad but doesn't carry nearly the wait and force of a properly executed sidekick.
>>
>>33643
Or was it a fucking knife or scoop or something? I can't remember, anyways point is the guy didn't stomp his knee, it was something with his hand.
>>
>>33643
>>33645
No you remember wrong karate kid was a flying sidekick to the knee lol

https://youtu.be/fztUNi-JyJk

Anyway forget the movies I already posted Jones using the kick in real fights
>>
>>33646
Oh right, then he "swept" him afterwards when the coach said to.
Though that's more a hovering sidekick, good movie kayfabe but impossible to follow through with any weight because the guy immediately crumples away and has his knees flexed/up on the balls of his feet like you should.
It's a surprisingly decent movie, really.
>>
>>33649
Yes the movie accurately captures how point tournaments actually were back then. Johny getting in trouble for excessive contact with a punch to face and daniel winning on a crane kick could actually happen. It was soft contact, but up to refs discretion to enforce which they did not always do.
>>
We never did much point karate tournaments because we often got kicked out of them and also they have no martial value of any kind
But the philosophy was always take the warning

Make sure your opening gambit is below blow or an eye poke or excessive contact and then beat the now disabled opponent

Its within the rules
If I'm allowed a certain number of penalties then that says I'm allowed a certain number or ball kicks per match
>>
>>33709
If you actually kicked people in the nuts and poked them in their eyes to win point krotty tournaments that is one of the gayest things I have ever heard lmao.
>>
>>33709
>point karate tournaments have no martial value of any kind
>still can't win them without cheating
lol
>>
>>33761
not cheating if it allows for penalties. That just means you can hit someone in the dick a certain number of times
>>33756
they're the fags for thinking low contact is acceptable
karate is universally considered gay as shit and point karate is the reason for it
FUCK POINT KARATE
FUCK SHOTOKAN
FUCK FUNAKOSHI
>>
File: 20210405_173952.jpg (3.94 MB, 4032x3024)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
You DO have a makiwara at your home so you can practice daily, dont you?

You're not a faker are you?
>>
>>33779
I do, it's a special type called a heavybag

>>33769
Point karate isn't why karate is considered gay, the shitty places that just do kata are why karate is considered gay.
>>
>>33782
>called a heavybag
Different equipment with a different purpose
Bag moves more easily if you put more force into it, makiwara is more difficult the more force you put into it
The load is different heavy bag will also not adequately condition your hands for impacting against a hard surface
>>
>>33779
https://youtu.be/OGHAhbamw3M
>>
>>33819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12GkBJ2HVs
>>
>>33822
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12GkBJ2HVs
Its unavailable
>>
>>33779
As in a actual makiwara.
No, I improvise like most karateka.
Hell, hitting the heavy bag with garden gloves turned inside out kinda achieves the same thing and doesn't involved getting a dig permit to sink a post in the ground. Besides, I am not a carpenter. It is way easier for me to fine a old tire to punch then to build a proper makiwara.
>heavy bag will also not adequately condition your hands for impacting against a hard surface
Don't use boxing gloves and hit a actual heavy bag then say that.
Not one of the ones filled with fluff. I am talking about the actual HEAVY bags with sand in them. Those are quite hard.
>>
>>33834
>dig permit
f-for digging a 2 foot deep hole in your own yard?
Whelp I can guess what country you live in lol
>>
>>33769
Funakoshi was opposed to pretty much all competition (this means point sparring too) and his unironic goal was to move karate away from combat an to character development as his view was focusing on unarmed combat is of very little use to modern society which is actually unironically true.
>>
>>33886
>Funakoshi was opposed to pretty much all competition (this means point sparring too)
that's because he himself didn't actually know how to fight
he's the OG when it comes to defrauding people and leading them into cultists behavior where he gets worshipped for the skills claims to have but actually doesn't
dude verifiably got defeated by the same wrist lock 3 times in a row without even landing a strike against the fat boomer that challenged him

>unarmed combat is of very little use to modern society
only if you live in an ethnostate. In "diverse" countries the risk of someone randomly walking up and punching you in the side of the head for no good reason is a reality nearly every time you go outside
>>
>>33891
>only if you live in an ethnostate

Japan lol

>that's because he himself didn't actually know how to fight

I can agree with this the only problem is when people who do kata all day think they are badass if you know the limits of what u practice there can be no problems
>>
File: 1602856962755.png (837 KB, 2127x2243)
837 KB
837 KB PNG
>>33779
I don't know how to make one and I'm renting without much room
>>
>>33834
>with sand

You're a retard
>>
>>33941
I know what you are but what am I
>>
>>34053
Sand attracts moisture and solidifies. Rags are a better filling for heavy bags. Only retards dispute this.
>>
>>34092
I prefer to use a bucket full of rice because then asian people come to eat the rice and will teach you karate
>>
>>34092
>and solidifies
That is literally the point though.
You really are the retard.
>>
>>34096
>breaking our hands in training is something to be encouraged, bro

What is it about karate that gives some people brain damage? It's not like you're being punched in the head like a boxer.
>>
>>34097
I think you are in the wrong thread if you think hitting a heavy bag karate style for conditioning will break your hand.
I have no words for how ignorant you are of the whole topic in general.
>>
https://youtu.be/g7Vm5wYP-AQ
>>
>>34101
It's not about karate style, it's about your dojo being dumb and filling your heavy bags with sand instead of rags or some other fabric.
>>
>>33769
there is some good shotokan out there, ironically I think it's because they realized how gay shotokan was
>>
>>32836
This
Point sparring is good training for sparring though
>>
>>34209
>Point sparring is good training for sparring though
how
>>
>>34213
Let me elaborate:
its a good pre step for real sparring. its prob. the best tool to let beginners get used to range, the timing and power where you can go hard/100% without contact-
Imo its an under appreciated tool but it should not be a replacement for real sparring. Sadly most bigger Karate styles only focus on it without ever really getting punched in the face and learning the importance of guarding the face (looking at you shotokan)
>>
>>34101
Rags are hard enough to get conditiining in
But sand is really not something you should use for constant conditioning.
Hell >>33834 no offense but a heavy bag does the job too and is a more versatile tool.
>>
>>32803
>What kind of non-matrial art workout program do you think best supplements karate?
Heavy physical work because orthodox karate technique doesn't teach using full body power.
>>
>>34101
You shouldn't use a heavy bag without gloves, you will hurt yourself. Unless it's a pugilism "heavy bag" with 30-40 lbs but even then you need to know how to hit it.

For Karate just use a makiwara or a very light boxing bag (age makiwara), no need to reinvent the wheel.

If you can't hit because the noise would disturb the neighbors, use inch power. There was a karate guy who did it on Okinawa, forgot his name but he had a very good seiken tsuki because of such a method.

Just make sure whatever you hit isn't too hard and has some give, don't hit walls or whatever.
>>
>>34251
using heavy bag for light conditioning is fine it just shouldnt be done too often, same goes for makiwara
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f2noKH30PE

Cool ruleset
>>
>>34250
>orthodox karate technique doesn't teach using full body power.
huh? that's like the #1 thing karate is best at teaching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQy44Gcf-fs
>>
File: 1503257694332.gif (33 KB, 388x394)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
>>34250
>orthodox karate technique doesn't teach using full body power.
>>
>>34281
>>34387
He's right though, it all gets thrown out the window when you do point sparring.
>>
>>34442
>t all gets thrown out the window when you do point sparring.
and what does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>34448
What do you mean? It has to do with everything, you get used to throwing weak punches
>>
>>34464
that's assuming he only does point sparring, I've never done a karate with point sparring
>>
>>34464
>What do you mean?
We were talking about orthodox karate. Point fighting is a modern addition to karate.
>>
>>34482
Point fighting is the most common competitive format, and people train to the competition rules. The guys that wanted to fight have long since moved to kickboxing or boxing or even grappling.

>but kyokushin
Barely anyone practices it compared to shotokan
>>
>>34482
To say that karate doesn't teach using full body power he's clearly referring to point-sparring
>>
>>34251
>You shouldn't use a heavy bag without gloves, you will hurt yourself.
Been doing it for 2 decades and the worst injury is cut up skin on my knuckles when not paying attention.
Learn to throw a proper bare knuckle punch and actually do physical conditioning.

https://youtu.be/P6by6LBfo6g
>>
>>34532
kickboxing is karate so it's whatever
"american kickboxing" doesn't exist, a new martial art didn't suddenly manifest in the 1990s out of nowhere. it was invented by karate guys for karate guys. Just because they dropped the nip culture aspects doesn't mean they stopped doing karate
>>
>>34600
You are not wrong. Even Stephen Thompson to a normal guy like Joe Rogan he sees what he does and just calls it karate lol. Original pre muay thai contact American kickboxing is definitely full contact karate.
>>
>>34532
yes shotokan generally does point sparring, but most other styles of karate don't
>>
>>34735
I train at a totally shit school and even we treat point sparing as a fun little training game to supplement normal free sparing.
We just light contact spar because we are all casuals and have no good reason to beat the shit out of each other, especial when everyone is difference sizes/weights and still have to train together.

Point sparing is just a game. I think even shotokan people are well aware of that. While it can be taken seriously at the end of the day it is only a piece of the puzzle. A training tool to further develop one's self as a martial artist.
>>
>>34885
>We just light contact spar because we are all casuals and have no good reason to beat the shit out of each other

This is one of the inherent advantages of grappling. To actually be a skilled striker you basically have to accept getting brain damage as part of the package.
>>
>>35050
t. has never heard of flow wrestling
>>
>>35050
yeah you just get spinal damage grappling instead
>>
>>35073
Pretty rare. You're more likely to tweak the joints in your extremities than your spine.
>>
>>35050
You don't go full force in grappling in training ether. At least not if you have any kind of sense. Yeah you can go a bit harder then striking but it is never 100%.
And some of the worst martial arts injuries I have ever seen were from grappling. Hell, the last concussion in our school was from kids messing around on the new mats grappling and someone took a accidental knee to the back of the head.
Plus getting tossed around ain't good for your brain ether.
So not exactly avoiding brain damage with grappling if you ask me.
>>
>>35210
Strikes to the head are very rare in grappling practice. Accidents happen, but you know, rarely. Because the aim is not to hit anyone in the head. Getting thrown, to what extent it does rock the brain, it does so significantly less than getting fucking punched or kicked in the head. Its not even close. Judoka and wrestlers don't get CTE, boxers do.

That said, a hobbyist striker is unlikely to notice any brain damage unless they spar hard a lot like a dipshit. Theres no question that grappling largely avoids it however, trying to equate the two just seems like cope. Grappling comes with its own set of injuries and I would agree that its easier to get hurt grappling, but it's mercifully free from brain damage. Which I think we can all agree is the worst injury.
>>
>>35220
>neck and spine injuries are worse then brain injuries
I think that is a point of view thing.
That said i see a lot more old heads who do striking arts for a life time then on the mats.
>>
>>35210
Yeah you don't go 100%, but you don't go 100% on hard sparring in striking either. You will probably not be throwing head kicks the same way you would in an actual fight. Point is you can grapple with real resistance very frequently, but most sparring in striking is going to be tippy tap.

>>35220
>That said, a hobbyist striker is unlikely to notice any brain damage unless they spar hard a lot like a dipshit.

A hobbyist is also unlikely to ever actually be good.
>>
>>35246
Define what you mean by good.
>>
>>35246

>A hobbyist is also unlikely to ever actually be good.

That's true for grapplers too.
>>
>>35232
That isn't what I said. I said brain damage is the worst. I think if this isn't your pov you've never seen a loved one with dementia.
>>
>>35309
As in actually able to fight well. Which is why I am saying that striking is a tough path to take, because you have to get hit a lot to actually be good.
>>
>>35409
And now what do you mean by fight well?
>>
>>32774
Wing Chun contains some fundamentals common to all martial arts. It's just that the stronger arts have things beyond fundamentals; nobody notices decent hand eye coordination or basic footwork because it goes without saying. With Wing Chun its a surprise if the person is even moderately fit. It's like how when normal kids bring teacher a drawing of a face they smile and move on, but if a retard draws a stick man and forgets less than 3 of the limbs he's Botticelli.
>>
File: joudansokutogeri.gif (33 KB, 225x111)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
Can a 30 year old sign up for Shotokan Karate? There's one 3 miles away from me, but no idea how any of this work. I like to put my competitive energy into joining a team tournament of some sort of spar with anyone 18+ and the reason I'm picking Shotokan Karate is pic related; Ryu is cool.
>>
>>35633
>Can a 30 year old sign up for Shotokan Karate?
Yes.
Karate is something someone can do for a lifetime or start at nearly any stage of their life as long as they are healthy enough to do basic physical activity.
>>
>>35637
Cool, I feel like going to the gym is not enough to keep my body in good health long-term and for many years I looked towards Shotokan Karate; thank you.
>>
>>35633
If you want to actually fight, you've picked the wrong sport. Just keep that in mind. If actually learning to fight isn't a relevant goal, then go on and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>35644
I'm after the flexibility primarily and secondary someone to spar with or try a tournament. I assume tournaments are these points karate that gets mentioned in the thread or what I have seen in the Olympics?
>>
>>35645
if you think that looks fun then go ahead, personally I think it's gay as hell and would be embarrassed to ever do it
>>
>>35645
> I assume tournaments are these points karate that gets mentioned in the thread or what I have seen in the Olympics?

exactly right
>>
In womens kyokushin why don't they just punch eachother in the boobs
>>
>>35678
i forgot my link

https://youtu.be/K8HbuPu5kqQ
>>
>>35633
ryu doesn't actually do shotokan that was a translation error but it took so they call him a shoto sorry anon
>>
File: makoto strong.gif (46 KB, 400x353)
46 KB
46 KB GIF
>>35810
true, but ryu is based on mas oyama and ken is based on joe lewis. they don't do karate but very clearly the characters evoke karate in their appearance.

interestingly, the design intent with makoto from SF3 was to create a character that was more traditionally japanese. ken and ryu, at least according to the designer at that time, were considered more similar to westernized martial artists.
>>
>>35812
>ryu is based on mas oyama
yeah, is there a kyokushin place near you then? probably better off there than shotokan unless the shotokan place is really good and unlike other ones
>>
>>35815
oh I'm not the dude looking for a shotokan gym. i just like street fighter.
>>
https://youtu.be/yu9yqJFXJtc
Beautiful Bill Wallace seminar
>>
I'm interested in karate, but I'm having trouble finding any places that look good where I live. There isn't any kyokushin on offer, and most of the places are chain goju ryu places that look like they exclusively pander to children
what kinds of karate should I be looking out for that are more likely to be practical, well taught and involve some sparring?
>>
>>36928
If you live in the west you're looking for kyokushin pretty much exclusively. Everything else is probably a daycare center. You might be better off looking into MMA gyms and seeing if the any of the instructors there cite a karate background and asking them during striking training for karate specific pointers. They'll probably oblige.

If none of that shit is available, good ol American kickboxing is basically sport karate. Although there is a lot of muay thai influence these days.
>>
>>36932
I'm in Australia, so American kickboxing isn't really something on offer. I'll look into the MMA gyms though, cheers
>>
>>36928
Usually the daycare centers have two different timeslots, one for adults and one for kids
>>
>>36938
You don't want to go to the adult classes at strip mall karate joints. Legitimate gyms will offer kid's classes because not doing so is leaving money on the table. But if the gym is overwhelmingly focused on kid's classes it's pretty much a guaranteed mcdojo.
>>
>>36939
The two factors i learned that are best to judge a dojo:
-What is the focus of their website
-Watching or training with them once to see what they focus on

The second is espically hard for a newbie but there should be several points that a newbie should check if hes checking out a new gym/dojo (espically tma styles)

1. Are the teachers friendly
2. Do the teachers care about your questions
3. Are they doing sparring
4. Do the other members look like cultist (everyone looks at the teacher like hes a god, no one dares to ask a question)
5. If they spar, is this just a one time thing or is it more common
6. Atmosphere
7. Do the teachers look like no touch ko artists
8. Do the people that train there look somehwat skilled (this is important for the black belts or fighters that train in a gym for years. If they look sloppy or cant do a middle kick right, its a bad sign)
6. what kinda sparring (dojos that train pure wkf style sparring are in my expierence sloppy and sometimes teach detrimental techniques that are only useful for point sparring)
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 259x194)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>36943
>>
>>36933
I'm an ausfag too whereabouts in australia are you? I'd go to an adult class to see what it's like before just going to mma gyms and asking if instructors have a karate background which is a retarded idea
>>
>>36949
m8 it's pretty standard for instructors to list their training backgrounds on the website.
>>
>>36953
they probably won't list karate
>>
>>36958
I don't see why not. If anon there is looking for karate with real sparring and practicality then he's better off going somewhere where a guy who's actually done some mma or kickboxing or whatever has successfully used it than some mcdojo where he's not gonna learn shit. Anecdotally, I've seen trainers list all kinds of shit on their bio, like tae kwon do or japanese jujutsu. Karate doesn't seem outlandish, maybe even a good marketing gimmick given how much people love machida and wonderboy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.