[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 367px-Marozzo_32.png (340 KB, 367x400)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
Dualies edition

>What is HEMA?
HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts, sometimes also called Historical Fencing.
It's reconstructing how to fight with swords, daggers, polearms and other weapons based on old European fighting treatises

>What does it look like?
Inside the World of Longsword Fighting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zueF4Mu2uM
Back to the source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBmNVHTmNs
Martin Fabian Sparring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QlbKfX84k

>Where can I find these treatises?
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

>Where can I find HEMA clubs near me?
https://www.hemaalliance.com/club-finders
https://hroarr.com/train/clubs-gear/club-finder/
https://ifhema.com/ifhema-members/

last thread >>27748
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>31586
>fuck fatties
I'M WORKING ON IT
>>
Anyone have any sources for German WW2 bayonet or hand to hand drills?
>>
Here's your HEMA bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yiPS3vfjY
>>
>>31590
Yea that's pretty HEMA unironically. Even the ref is just in standard gear kek.
I was excited about this but they didn't fully deliver. For all that extra gear they still only fight with nylons (and the worst on the market). If they sprayed those suits matt and edited out the plastic clattering that would be a pretty aight show the hit detection and commentary are good.

I would like to see more 'experimental archaeology' on that downward dagger like kind of pommelling. It's one of the cheapest points in HEMA in my opinion. Worthy of some score certainly but I think massively overrated. I know it would hurt but I think it's massively overrated for it's fight ending capacity. This coming from someone who's stayed on his feet and fighting after soaking up a running headbutt in a streetfight, people always say are lethal fight enders.

I think if they were legitimately lethal strikes we would feel alot more with a mask on.
>>
>>31590
Mixed weapons always looks scrappy. Especially with guys not used to their opponent.
>>
>>31590
That gear looks awful, it looks like they can barely move.
>>
>>31590
>have obvious range advantage from longer sword
>don't keep distance, just let opponent body you repeatedly and hit him with the pommel when he does
>i am 29 and what is footwork
This guy is the peak of what Aussie HEMA has to offer? Really?
>>
cloak/cape is the most patrician offhand weapon

prove me wrong. you can't
>>
Here's an aside, lads but one perhaps you can relate to.

HEMA is nice for women because they can legitimately hold their own against men and spar on a somewhat even playing field but do you ever worry that this false confidence is actually really dangerous for them. I've seen girls go from timid feminine beginners with no confidence in themselves to unbearable outspoken cunts who loudly proclaim how if a guy has a problem he can fight her etc etc. Or snort at guys as if they would beat them in a fight. Sometimes I hear this and generally get alarmed. Socially you can't call them on it but they could die in their unfounded hubris. A few of them seem to get divorced a few years into taking up HEMA too but that's an aside too far. I don't like training women any more as this personality change can be so chronic. I worry I've ruined lives naively creating monsters.

I don't wish there was submission sparring in HEMA as that would be retarded but I do wish these women (not all of them just these ego monsters) would experience just how little their sparring ability at tagging hands in fencing translates to real violence or get some sense of how much punishment the male body can take. That was the hardest part of fencing for me coming from a long Rugby background. Switching to something where soaking up brute force and injury counted for nothing and it was a good lesson but I worry alot of these Esfinges girls will get their humbling wakeup call in disabling or even lethal ways. Especially because it's rarely the very good ones that do reliably land the good deep target thrusts.
>>
>>31590
this is painful to watch
>>
What are some woke makers and manufacturers? I'm trying to only buy from normal, decent people.
>>
>>31698
>I'm trying to only buy from normal, decent people.
just read the about us sections on their websites. If theres nothing about politics buy from them.
>>
>>31691
>I just want to say, if you're overweight you can't do HEMA
this is like saying anorexic people arent allowed at the buffet. Why would you deny something to the people who need it most.
>>
Did you guys know that castille might put a star of david on your blade? How BASED is that?
>>
>>31755
God I hate /pol/fags.
https://www.marlowwhite.com/military-sword-information/m-faq-six-point-star
>tl;dr its not a star of david its a star of damascus
>>
>>31757
Then why does it also have a Hebrew symbol in the middle of it huh?
>>
>>31774
what symbol would that be, exactly?
>>
>>31775
Looks kind of like this but might be without the little thing on the side.
>>
>>31781
It's there to make sure that the judges will give you the benefit of the doubt during any double blow. The Jews run everything. Even local HEMA tournaments.
>>
File: 20210328_223311.jpg (3.69 MB, 5312x2988)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>31781
Not even remotely similar but ok
>>
>>31782
I know youre having a giggle but the anon your responding to probably believes this.
>>
>>31786
What absolute piece of shit did that to that poor fucking sword? That weapon doesn't deserve mistreatment like that. The grip is completely misaligned and off-center, and the shoulders of the tang are eventually going to blow through upper section of the grip just below the cross.
>>
>>31788
Its an economy saber I bought it as a beater. Im not sure what you're so worked up about.
>>
>>31786
Do you think I would go and lie on the internet? Maybe they just stamp a random letter for the goys.
>>
>>31790
>Do you think I would go and lie on the internet?
...yes.
>>
>>31790
Show me yours then
>>
>>31791
No I would never
>>31792
I don't buy cucksteel, somebody from the other guild had the symbol on the blade.
>>
>>31795
>I Dont have one
>But some guy told me once
opinion discarded
>>
File: 800px-Hundt_100[1].jpg (102 KB, 800x487)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>31664
>not rapier and pistol
get shot in the face capefag
>>
>>31820
based and piratepilled
>>
File: 1542674092067.jpg (40 KB, 217x199)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Lads I'm still fed up with teaching fatties
If you're fat and reading this please go for a bike ride or something for your instructor's sake
>>
>>31840
Why arent you conditioning them harder? Youre their fucking coach.
>>
>>31846
imagine trying to get a bunch of fatties to pay you dues AND do sit ups
>>
>>31840

I like to beat the local fatty every week.
>>
>tfw the club autist is too insecure to let the girls win yet again.
>>
>>31882
It gets old really quickly
>>
>>31889

Yeah I just spar with him one time then move on to others.
>>
>>31788
>star of david
>obvious cost cutting

It's like poetry
>>
>>31847
Try doing something like this with them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BA3B4siw4
Good fat burner, trains aggression, helps them recognize and create openings under pressure.
>>
>>31893
holy fuck, how many fat people are in your club?
are you from the US or mexico??
>>
>>31914
US. I'm the only person in the club with a BMI under 40.
>>
>>31916
>with a BMI under 40.
I hope you are joking, but even being the only one under 25 would be a damn disaster.
is american HEMA, except for the few good fencers, really that fucked?
>>
>>31847
>waaaah stop asking me to coach you just because youre paying me to do it
>>
>>31919
>is american HEMA, except for the few good fencers, really that fucked?
Unironically, yes.

Can confirm. We've got a regular class of about 20. There's me and one other guy in there, and we're the only people who aren't clearly overweight. Taking us out of the equation, average BMI in the class is probably around 30. But around the population in general (Atlanta GA), the average BMI actually is around 34-36, so if anything our class is better than the average.
>>
>>31919
>is american HEMA, really that fucked?

Mostly yes. Taking the entire country into the equation, the average BMI is a hair under 30, and that was measured at the end of 2019 before the pandemic.

Here in Cincinnati, we're better than *most*. We've got nobody in the class who is clearly obese, and about a 3rd of the class is straight-up "in good-to-excellent-shape". We're an older club, though, with a pretty high population of former military and athletes (average age is ~32), and we train in a strip fencing salle, so there's pressure from the rail-thin competitive Oly guys to not look totally disgusting next to them.

Full disclosure: I personally hover in the 25-28 BMI range. I put on weight sitting in a military hospital and being force-fed 6000kcal/day for 6 months after I got a multi-site compound spiral tib/fib fracture, and it's *never* healed to the point where I can do any serious extended and enjoyable cardio exercise (the only exercise I ever enjoyed doing was distance running). I was about 130lbs when I was running regularly, and I've held steady in the 170-180 range since leaving the Army. I knew real, genuine, hunger growing up extremely poor, and I'm flatly unwilling to eat as little as necessary to shed that weight without the cardio to back it up. I won't go back to that level of hunger ever again. But I'm also on the far side of 40, and have no delusions about seriously competing in tournaments. I'm a coach and a teacher now.
>>
>>31914

Just one
>>
Really want to try Béhourd (Bohurt for you filthy anglos). Any Euros have experience with it and the community?
>>
>>31970

It's better exercise than HEMA and one of the best reasons to be fit and strong (to wear armor and beat the fuck out of someone). It's a total sport and has very little to do with "war" combat in armor, but lots of fun.

It's very dangerous though, and you will end up fucking up your body early.
>>
>>31970
>Any Euros have experience with it and the community?
It's mostly the durka-est Russians imaginable, looking for an excuse to hurt people.
>>
My club has zero fatties. There are only two members.
>>
>>32064
>My club has zero fatties
Clearly incorrect. You're in it.
>>
>>31995
Yeah, I was attracted to the very physical side of it. I read it wasn't *that* dangerous but maybe the article was downplaying the danger. At the very least I think there is less concussions than in American football or a lot of striking martial arts.
>>
Is it distasteful to bring McDonald’s food to the club?
>>
>>32343
Use it to motivate the fatties to work harder. Big mac goes in the middle, last man standing wins
>>
>>32371
>Use it to motivate the fatties to work harder
You shouldn't be motivating the fatties at all. You should be driving them out of your club and out of the hobby of HEMA entirely. Nobody with a BMI over 20 belongs in this sport.
>>
>>32400
Virgin forager
>>32371
Chad cultivator
>>
>>32400
>fat people shouldnt ever try to improve themselves
shit attitude m8
>>
>>32403
If they were capable of self improvement or discipline they wouldn't be fat.
>>
>>32418
Do you think no one who ever let themselves go ever got into good shape? how old are you?
>>
>>32400
>Nobody with a BMI over 20 belongs in this sport.
dyels gtfo right now!
>>
>>32419
>replying to trolls
>>
>>32152

Even with protections and armor , it is very dangerous. In fact maybe the most dangerous (lesive) sport I can think of, more than rugby or MMA. Concussions are common, broken bones and knees etc... The problem is once you break something fucky. you're doomed for life.
>>
>>32501
speaking statistically I think more people die boxing than in any other sport but I can see your point
>>
>>31846
Because he's also a fatty. These posts are just projection. Most people in HEMA are fat larpers that would rather argue subjective outcomes of mock duels (because it's REAL swordfighting!) than actually train.
>>
>>31581
how common is for woman to win against guys in hema tournaments?
>>
>>32529
Don't think a woman has won a mixed/open competition literally ever, if I'm honest. Nothing to be surprised about either.
>>
>>32529
0 common. No woman can beat any man at literally any sort of genuine martial activity, unless the man is given some sort of utterly massive handicap. Females are simply inferior at martial arts.
>>
>>32529
very uncommon, unless the experience difference is really damn big (like <6 months vs. many years)
>>
>>32530
I've seen them place but never outright win a competition. The judges were outrageous simps in every case ofcourse. That said I've never seen a man under 5'9 win or place either and women generally fall below that height.

As for individual bouts they trash beginners all the time and sometimes get lucky with intermediate to good fencers. Generally they just tag hands endlessly and get away with it where men would get jeered at or penalised.
>>
>>32541
>As for individual bouts they trash beginners all the time and sometimes get lucky with intermediate to good fencers
Oh yeah, no question. I assumed Anon was asking about winning a whole tournament since it's obvious they can win matches, although now that I reread the post I guess it's not that clear what he meant.
>>
>>32544
Fencing is so full of quirks of the mind. On a subconscious level women don't want to win. Women who fence to win are perfectly capable of beating guys. Certainly manlets around their same height.
Sadly their gender programming is so strong that they can't help but put an overlay over their fencing.

Every beginner that comes in you teach them to forget how they move and move like a fencer. Shaving more and more surplus movement, shakiness, gangliness, ungainliness off ,every week. After a few years a stick figure animation of your fencing should be unrecognisable from your first sparring session. I've had women do this in class and achieve real excellence in movement but the rest just like lots of men too are like;
>Thanks but this is my style!
>No it's not your style. You suck. it's failure.

And as soon as a woman is fencing strangers and there's a crowd every single one has thrown it out the window to tap along on her toes. Too high a stance. Comprising her body position to reach with every strike. It's worst when it's two women sparring and they giggle and hug between exchanges. Might as well just stop fucking watching when you see that and if you're coaching just walk away.
>>
Luv me swords
'Ate me wimin
'Ate trannies. Not transphobic just don't like em.

Simple as.
>>
>>32152
Literally browse any bohurt meme page on facebook. Those crayon munchers are hilarious but fuck me their bodies are broken.
When aiming for the hips is a tactic of "halberd"iers you know injuries will happen a lot.
>>
>>32561
based Swetnam
>>
>>32541
lol I have a few medals and im a 5'7" halfling. Get at me lanklets.
>>
>>32627
If they were well attended Opens then i’m very impressed. Counts for much more
>>
>>32655
>>32627
The top Longsworder in Switzerland is like 5'4. He won gold against international competition (I think because of the lack of tournaments elsewhere) last year
>>
No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
>>
>>32400
>He's salty about getting bowling pinned in the bind
>>
>tfw i paused sparring to compare my standard feder with a tallfag beginners 120cm ultra feder
He was so embaressed he never came back. Feel really bad about that.
>>
>>31664
Discombobulate
>>
>>32530
>>32531

nah a bunch of women actually did won male tournaments, i can't remember their names right now and i'm to lazy to google it now, one was called something like kristine cosomo or something like that you can see her final match if you search "sowrdfish ninjaboy" i think) and the other one is a blond milf who has a hema school in london

those two chick i know for sure won tournament against guys
>>
>>32905
Emilia Skirmuntt?
>>
File: serious martial art.png (670 KB, 711x676)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>>
File: 1615395016548.png (97 KB, 500x522)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>32655
I did judo for many years before starting HEMA. I like to fight close.
>>32944
Zombie shit is a plague that needs to die. Same with historical dress up outside of ren fairs.
>>
Went to my first HEMA lesson yesterday. It was informative and helped a lot. I am looking forward to more. This is all I have to report.
>>
>>32952
Good man. Keep your left foot forward and don't let the first few years beat you down. One night you are gonna start winning.
>>
>>32905
>>32943
Emilia literally has never won a tournament against men. You can't possibly "know for sure" that she did this, because she never did. She's not even that good for a woman.
>>
>>32989
>She's not even that good for a woman.
>implying that women can be good at anything
>>
I'm not going to badmouth Skirmuntt or anyone by name in these threads. She is a good a fencer but her bouts makes up 80% of the examples in my mind when I rant about biased bad HEMA judging.

That's not on her just on simp judges.
>>
>>33064
How is it badmouthing to say she hasn't won any mixed tournaments? It's objectively true. I haven't either, does saying that mean I'm bashing myself?
>>
I'm so fucking good at killing.
>>
How do you make HEMA more sexy?
>>
>>32529
>>32530
>>32531
>>32905

here's the video
https://youtu.be/k7bh9RHfOnI

kristine placing 1st at swordfish against a guy, i think she won again the year after that too
>>
>>33099
naked fencing
>>
>>33119
probably because she did actual s&b while the rest of the HEMAsphere sucked hard at it (and most still do today)
>>
>>31788
It's just a piece of metal, it doesn't "deserve" anything. It's not your fucking waifu either in case you're having further anthropomorphic fantasies in that vein.
>>
>>33099
We DON'T!
>>
>>33141

Yep, that tall guy wasnt even trying to s&b, probably got to the finals powerpushing the other mediocre competitors.
>>
>>31788

Its a piece of shit considered good in america, you wouldnt understand.
>>
>>32989
Emilia was supposed to be the "blond milf" that was mentioned
>>
How seriously do you consider the advice of someone who is overweight
>>
>>33338
Right, and it was claimed that she'd won a male/mixed tournament, which is incorrect. What's your point?
>>
>>33349
Doesn't really matter especially if they're good/winning as it is. It's got to be a big disadvantage so if they're good enough to be forking out advice then they must have something worth saying.
>>
>>33376
nooooo, the opinions of digusting fatties with a bmi over 15 are worth nothing!!!
>>
>>33392
Admittedly anorexia is a pretty extreme sport, but it doesn't really belong in this thread. Make your own.
>>
Just got on the waitlist for a hema club near me bros
>>
>want to join HEMA place near my college for when I go back next semester
>it closed permanently due to covid
god damn it, I just want to learn to hit people with swords. I'm sure a new one will pop up, but who knows how long that'll take.
>>
>>33430
>Huehuehue le hit people with le swords lelelelelele

Fuck you you fucking nigger cock vaccume, who don't you learn how to le shove le swords up your ass you fucking pathetic excuse of a man you faggot. You fucking people disgust me because you think swinging your rusty shit and cum covered bendy metal dick stick makes you more of a man then the fake women that fill your club.
I bet you are filled with glee every time you get a chance to tell or type to someone about your cool new hobby, yeah it's totally manly bro, I like use this sword bro like you know from the Witcher bro and I learn how to do all these moves and special attacks bro it's totally like my videogames bro, I even imagine I have a health bar bro and I drink Gatorade to repenish it bro.
I hope your club gets filled with nothing but trannies who give you gay nigger aids when they scrape your skin with their burr riddled bing bing wahoo shafts and the building gets burned down by some crackhead.
>>
>>33598
I just want to hit people with a sword man, there's nothing deeper to it. It seems like fun.
>>
>>33598
autism
>>
>>33604
FUUUUUCCKKKKK YOUUUUUUUU
>>
File: 1616914406624.png (59 KB, 576x507)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>33598
Holy fucking autism lmfao. Get help anon
>>
>>33338
no, this is the milf
https://youtu.be/-i4lLsMzSPI

i know for a fact she won at least one male tournament in england
>>
>>33653
>england
English """tournaments""" are a disgrace
>>
>>33689
He's just baiting, you idiot. Blood and Iron isn't even in Europe, it's that club Skallagrim belongs to. He is leafposting mere days after day of the rake.
>>
>>33690
but did she won a male rapier tournament?
>>
>>33758
In England? No.
>>
File: 1616199363661.png (306 KB, 334x386)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>people in my club refuse to learn anything but longsword
>>
At first glance this looks like a cool hobby but actually seems boring
>>
>>33853
Its not boring, but it is pretty hard work since you have to study as well as train.
>>
No matter how hard you train you will never be as good as a knight was
>>
>>33888
Yea but i can twirl disarm every child who wants a swordfight and crush anyone in wrapping paper duels.
>>
>>33811
>tfw nobody wanted to do sword & buckler
>fenced for the first time last weekend and felt like shit doing longsword, but great doing s&b, arming sword alone, broadsword, and spear
I'm ditching longsword for smallsword and spear/pollaxe with zero regrets
>>
>>33933
I can’t follow you down this path anon.
>>
>>33933
>spear/pollaxe
God I hate you faggots. You can't spar with them! What's the attraction of wasting your time on something you can't fence? Why are there so many of you turbo-autists? It's not like polearms are irresistibly romantic.
>>
>>33935
>What are rubber/synthetic pollaxe heads and rattan/ash staves
>He's a crayon eating mongoloid who can't control himself during friendly sparring bouts with clubmates
>>
No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
>>
>>33888
Knights probably spent less time training something like HEMA than you think. Many of the teachers who left manuals were mostly teaching city dwellers/middle class.
>>
File: 1611283035185.png (86 KB, 192x187)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
>>33953
fuck you, i laughed at this
>>
>>33937
>What are rubber/synthetic pollaxe heads and rattan/ash staves
Unsafe.
>>
>>33965
I cant speak on "knights" specifically but in l'abbot's smallsword manual he complains of a persistent problem in which the upperclass would take a single fencing lesson then proclaim themselves experts with a sword. Who knows how long that may have been going on for.
>>
>>33999
Martial arts in general are unsafe. Control yourselves and you wont get hurt. What a waste of trips on a fucking pussy.
>>
>>34007
I try to control myself but sometimes these crazy assholen are asking for it.
>>
>>33768
yes she did, check her hema profyle
>>
>>34059
Her what
>>
>>34046
Get better training partners
>>
>>34006
Knights aren't quite nobles but you do bring up a point. While knights in particular at least had to train as a kid. I'd say the majority of the training was more knightly arts such as riding a horse, jousting, literacy, etc. I'd wager a guess there were lots of knights who just never practiced once they were knighted and never expected to do anything but charge from horseback. While conversely I'm sure there were other knights who were extremely dedicated in their sword (and otherwise martial) training
>>
>>34154
Knights being considered nobles depends on what part of Europe you are in. In fact most knights on the battlefield were not knighted, and were just men at arms. However most men at arms would have been descended from noble families, which in much of Europe made them low level nobles.
>>
>>31589
WW2 German h2h was just jiu jitsu (The Japanese, drill-based kind) and boxing (Only conditioning and punching power training - keep in mind boxing back then looked different than today, look up Jack Dempsey's, Georges Carpentier's and Jim Jeffries's books for power punching).
>>
>>31684
That's just how women in combat sports are, not just HEMA. In other sports you can beat the shit out of them though lol.
>>
>>31790
>Do you think I would go and lie on the internet?
Well you're from /pol/.
>>
>>31919
>is american HEMA, except for the few good fencers, really that fucked?
It's that way everywhere because HEMA is full of larping dorks. Most don't even wrestle because omg that might involve exertion and pain.
>>
>>34170
>It's that way everywhere because HEMA is full of larping dorks
Not in (non-german) Central and Eastern Europe
>>
>>34178
We're talking about places occupied by humans. Nobody cares what happens in the ass end of the civilized world.
>>
>>34203
>Americans
>Brits, Spaniards, and Frogs
>Humans
>>
>>34203
whatever you say, Tyrone Chen Ahyoka-Patel
>>
Gonna go to my first open class, never tried any of this, and apparently it a renaissance swordsmanship class, what should i expect?
>>
>>34291
Probably rapier and sidesword. If the people there are dressed up in costumes and not gym clothes its probably a shit school
>>
>>34298
The guy said wear gym clothes
>>
>>34298
>If the people there are dressed up in costumes
>not smart enough to realize that how you dress affects how you fight, and if you want to fight in a historical art you need to see how the clothing affected the tactics and techniques
>not even smart enough to realize that period footwear is a massive structural change and modern high-grip footwear absolutely fucks your ability to perform the called-for footwork.
Secondaries plz go
>>
>>34325
I may have never been to any of this but this seems like a shitty excuse so you can larp.
>>
>>34327
You probably shouldn't bother getting into HEMA then. Anon is more or less correct.

15th-17thC footwear had no grip on the sole of the shoe, meaning that you could pivot on your foot even if your weight was on the ball of that foot. If you try that with modern footwear, you'll blow out your knee, because your foot will stay in place due to the grip on the soles. This has pretty serious followup effects on generating rotational hip torque to deliver cuts. About half the things you learn when developing good cut mechanics in Edelson's "Cutting with the Medieval Sword" simply cannot be done correctly with modern footwear.

And likewise, period textiles were extremely dense, heavy, and difficult to cut through. We routinely score tip cuts or poorly-aligned cuts in tourney play, but those cuts are provably insufficient to cut through even a few layers of period textiles. Which means that the clothing they were wearing would function as limited armor against cuts (not thrusts) unless you REALLY got your cut mechanics correct. Even a 2-3 degree off-angle in a cut is enough to get the cut to bounce, instead of cutting through the textile.

Finally, because of the thickness and fashions of the clothing, you can have limitations to your movement that aren't apparent immediately. A good example is slashed clothing that "catches" the cross of your own sword.

HEMA isn't a larp, and you don't NEED to dress up every day to go do it. But if you care at all about WHY things were done in the way they were done, you need to put the historical context along with the sword work. Part of that context is the clothing and footwear people wore, and there's no way to genuinely understand it aside from actually putting on the shoes and clothes and fighting in them.
>>
>>34335
>forgot link regarding swords vs textiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beULSL2jxg
>>
>>34325
Yeah anon im sure the clothing has much more of an affect than the fact that youre 200lbs overweight. Very historically accurate
>>34335
Just wear flat shoes or none if youre on mats. Ive literally never worn shoes at my club. Puffy meyer pants unnecessary. Its pure cope for pageantry.
>>
>>34335
>But if you care at all about WHY things were done in the way they were done, you need to put the historical context along with the sword work
I don't. I don't care about any of that gay shit. I care about winning. Hema is a sport to be won, and I couldn't give less of a fuck about any of that faggy dressup shit if it's not going to help me win a bout.
>>
Remarkably persistent troll, this.
>>
>>34335
based historian, you are what made HEMA great

>>34339
do MOF if you want to win a sport
>>
>>34337
the angle at which he cuts in that video is basically setting it up for failure. A tip cut would actually do far better at that angle than just smacking it almost perpendicularly like he did.

>>34335
Footwear is irrelevant if you then wind up using a modern surface. The idea that all medieval and renaissance footwear was slick-soled and slippery is also complete bullshit. Hobnails existed, pattens existed, and shoe design underwent major changes during the 16th century as well.
Generally, our full gear is more restrictive and causes more artefacts than historical clothing. The reason why the ARCEM jacket's got good mobility is because its design imitates a surviving pourpoint, for example. Slashed clothes are from a very specific time and place, and usually attempts at replicating them (especially HEMA fancy pants) are frankly dogshit and not a valid data point.
>>
>>34449
>period textiles don't matter
I'm going to believe what Matt Easton, Jake Norwood, Michael Edelson, and Keith Farrell say over what some self important anon on a Tibetan goat fucking forum claims. Every single one of them says that
a) wearing period-correct textiles improves your contextual understanding of HEMA
b) period-correct textiles (notably the multi-layered torso garments, not the single layer simple shirts we see in very late period books) have an absolutely massive effect on cutting effectiveness and if you don't do your cuts fucking RIGHT, then you aren't going to get through the cloth pretty much at all.

>mah appeal to authority
Bitch, to pre-empt your argument (because appeal to authority is always what happens when someone namedrops anybody), they ARE the fucking experts. They know more than you. They know more than me. They are the fucking authority, and when ALL of them agree on something, then that something should be considered as as correct as we can figure out.
>>
>>34453
>Matt Easton, Jake Norwood, Michael Edelson, and Keith Farrell say
>muh appeal to authority
Nobody cares what a bunch of boomers have to say
>>
>>34453
I didn't say anything about period clothing being irrelevant, I said that your preconceptions about them are totally wrong, which I guess is to be expected when you can't fucking read.
I pointed out how his tatami-cutting style approach in that video was a terrible option for that target and angle. I also pointed out that generally historical garments have greater mobility than modern sparring gear. I also pointed out that often modern replicas, especially if they're inauthentic or just stylized HEMA gear are not relevant.

As for the experts, other than Edelson who is a Real Deadly Longsword hack, I know for a fact that Matt made the exact same point about surfaces vs soles as I did in the past, and that Keith also has a similarly nuanced view that's nothing like yours.
No idea about Norwood but he's American, so who cares?
>>
>>34461
>he's American, so who cares
racist

>Farrell
>"There probably are lots of good reasons to wear good quality, historically accurate clothing (in terms of design, cut, tailoring, fit, materials, etc)."
>https://www.keithfarrell.net/blog/2019/06/historical-clothing-in-hema/
Fuck off and die
>>
>>34463
You can't be racist against Americans. And burgers shouldn't do HEMA anyway, so nobody cares what they (or you) think. Get out of a European hobby and stop larping. We don't want your kind here. Or anywhere.
>>
Why are Americans even allowed to participate in HEMA anyway? It's not called Historical American Martial Arts. HEMA should be exclusively limited to Europeans, and we need to aggressively gatekeep anyone else from participating in our heritage.
>>
>>34463
Does anything that I said contradict that quote?
No, it doesn't. Learn to fucking read you filthy American.
>>
>reminder that this is what HEMA is supposed to be, not some filthy American trash
>>
>>34428
Doing HEMA purely as a sport is a perfectly valid way to train
>>
>>34470
Obviously this references Poland, but something about the guy strikes me as French.
>>
>>34453
>Matt Easton and Keith Farrell
All credibility is lost on the fact that they shill british sabre/broadsword over everything else
>No Tea Kew, Stephen Cheney, Martin Fabian, Michael Chidester, or Borislav Krustev
These are people that actually matter because they're responsible for the availability of good quality translations and interpretations of sources, along with actually being able to fence
>>
>>34472
HEMA isn't a sport, and tournaments only exist as a way to stress test your technique.
>>
>>34476
>Stephen Cheney, Martin Fabian, Michael Chidester, or Borislav Krustev
All cool people and I like the way you think, anon.
>Tea Kew
All credibility is lost because he's an insufferable cunt that makes Shadiversity look like a balanced individual, and makes Lindybeige look rational and unbiased.

But seriously, Tea Kew is a fucking cunt and if ANYONE should be ostracized from HEMA, it's that fucknugget.
>>
>>34477
>A martial art using sparring-safe weapons and protective gear in a club hall or tournament setting where exchanges are judged on hit quality along with being measured by points in tournaments
Stop foaming at the mouth whenever you hear the word "sport". The only people that do this outside of HEMA are always salty TMA faggots that want to pretend what they do is more "effective" than MMA or boxing because they don't compete
>>
>>34476
>they shill british sabre/broadsword over everything else
That's because those are the pinnacle of European Martial Arts. Don't be jealous that your shite country never turned out anything as good.
>>
>>34481
Sports exist as games to be won. HEMA tournaments exist as pressure vessels in which to test techniques against resisting and unprepared opponents. Sorry you aren't old enough to remember why HEMA tournaments existed in the first place, anon.
>>
>>34479
Fair, I don't like Tea much as a person but I think he's made some alright contributions to Ringeck Illustrated and FbtB
>>34483
I'm a bong and I still hate british sabre and broadsword
>>
>>34476
>Keith Farrell
>All credibility is lost on the fact that they shill british sabre/broadsword over everything else
I wouldn't characterise Keith like that.
>No Tea Kew, Stephen Cheney, Martin Fabian, Michael Chidester, or Borislav Krustev
These threads are just people from the discord flinging shit at each other anonymously, aren't they?
>>
>>34487
>These threads are just people from the discord flinging shit at each other anonymously
About half of us are, yes.

I will say that >>34335 isn't, because nobody on the HEMA discords actually talks or analyses things like that. It's all shitposting, all the way down, on the discord, but only shitposting against certain thoughts or people whom the zeitgeist has determined is acceptable. This is why 4chan is better, because we can shitpost against anyone or anything.
>>
>>34484
Boxing/Kickboxing/Judo/BJJ/Wrestling/MMA tournaments also exist as pressure tests, but you dismiss them as "games" because people can acknowledge that they're also sports without wanting to punch holes in drywall.

Is your martial arts experience outside of HEMA anything besides krav maga and chink shit? Because if not then you have zero fucking clue what you're talking about, LARPer.
>>
>>34489
>anon must have hit pretty close to the mark to get >>34489 all riled up like that
>>
>>34490
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>34491
Star Wars.
>>
I like Tea but I've only met him once or twice and he just talked away about literal LARPing. I was surprised to see him invited to teach internationally.

>>34476
Keith is great. Last I saw him he was considering writing a new fleshed out beginners guide. It'll be a great book when it comes. His and Bourdas' old one is pretty dated now not least by it's links lists.
>>
>>34488
The Discord didn't do it for me. It killed the old /asp/ thread for nothing.

It was funny to see everyone go Lefty as fuck as soon as they had half traceable names.
>>
>>34499
is his name really Tea?
>>
>>34520
As far as I'm aware. The guy who started that club is called Merlin too. Also a cool guy although I haven't seen him in many years. Think he might be out of the game.

That said Tea definitely fits the bill for someone who would change their name by deed poll.
>>
>>34463
>racist
Hey, we're not the ones who filled your country with niggers.
>>
>>34476
>Tea Kew
>responsible for the availability of a source
Tea is a retard who hasn't contributed shit and doesn't even fence well enough to get anywhere in a longsword tournament. He just spends a lot of time squatting the HEMA Reddit.
>>
>>34481
The only thing I agree with in this post is that HEMA tournaments really shouldn't use points in their scoring.
>>
>>34467
If you actually cared about your heritage, why did you let it die out in the first place?

checkm8 euromutts
>>
>>34335
>simply cannot be done correctly with modern footwear
They make modern sport shoes that doesn't have any grip on the soles, like sambo shoes or savate shoes. Both of them are also European and are living arts as well.
>>
>>34539
What should they use, then?
>>
>>34466
>And burgers shouldn't do HEMA anyway
100% this
>>
>>34504
>It was funny to see everyone go Lefty as fuck as soon as they had half traceable names.
no surprises there, people will destroy your life if you even hint at being right, while being a literal communist is fine and dandy
>>
>>34562
Judgment. Did you kill your enemy, or to be precise, would you have, with sharps? Then you are the winner, as long as you survived.
>>
>>34605
Oh boy i can't wait for a coach to go up to the judge/ref and start a high school baseball shouting match about how that totally was not a killing blow on his guy
>>
>>34616
Coaches shouldn't be allowed anyway, that's sportified shit.
>>
File: OIP.jpg (26 KB, 474x265)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>34627
That never stopped Randy Marsh and every person like him
>>
>>34556
>They make modern sport shoes that doesn't have any grip on the soles, like sambo shoes or savate shoe
You know damn well what he meant. Practically everybody does HEMA in modern high traction footwear. Fuck off ya disingenuous cunt.
>>
>>34647
I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA!
>>
>>34649
I for one go out of my way for maximum traction.
>>
How am I supposed to prepare for the Race War when all the HEMA clubs and events are closed.
>>
File: Canon_240519_0560[1].jpg (66 KB, 590x358)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>34806
neck ropes till failure
>>
>>34806
Does your HEMA club usually do bayonet sparring?
>>
>>34806
Meyer dussack drills, you can do them with a machete or any other bladed weapon longer than a knife
>>
>>34006
The Chad Knight just fights with what comes naturally, wins tournaments, gets wenches.

The Virgin Merchant pays for instruction
from a master, sucks anyway, and settles for a fat whore.
>>
How long until the fucking chink flu finally stops and we can get back to fencing?
I'm missing Dussack and sword&buckler
>>
>>35221
2-3 years at the low end. Realistically, it will never go away.
>>
>>35221
Forever flu baby. Next year new variant is even scarier and we need a new vaccine. Never leave your home.
>>
File: 1607376516303.gif (850 KB, 244x264)
850 KB
850 KB GIF
>>35221
Doubt my club will exist. Seems all the club runners in my country are getting old anyway and are vocally expressing disinterest in getting back to it. Think HEMA's peaked here honestly.
>>
>>34476
>>34479
>>34487
>Tea Kew
who tf is that? is that an actual name?
>>
>>35580
English guy. Probably.
>>
>>35580
I always assumed he'd changed it himself, born Tiberius Quibble or some retarded-sounding bong shit like that, asked people to call him TQ, then changed his name so they would have to.
>>
File: Bushido.jpg (33 KB, 320x482)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>33598
The sad thing is this anon is kinda onto something. The sheer quantity of violent retards, mentally ill transgenders and furry larpers that HEMA attracts is absolutely shocking. Violent people get attracted to violent things and the only way to beat bad violent ppl is to be a good person skilled in violence.
tl;dr we need more sophisticated HEMA clubs.
>>
>>35583
Who knows. He has one other Kew on goybuch that might be his mother but he has so much tranny energy I'd be surprised if he didn't change it.

He sells LARPing very well and seems like a happy guy.
>>
>>35593
Every single person I have met doing HEMA has been on autism spectrum it's to be expected.
>>
Matt Easton hates whites.
>>
>>35595
This
>>
>>35601
he's an anglo so no surprises there
>>
>>35601
>skinhead with a house full of weapons
>hates whites
>>
>>35221

Never. Dont you know about agenda 2030? You stupid cattle goy
>>
>>32400
>Nobody with a BMI over 20 belongs in this sport.
This is a no skelly zone.
>>
>>35601
Good for him. Whites ruin everything.
>>
File: Heußler_3-11.jpg (626 KB, 1060x555)
626 KB
626 KB JPG
punching with the buckler, yes or no?
>>
>>35913
In a real fight, yes. In sparring, absolutely fuck no. Instant club eviction if you can't control your autism to the extent of just marking the blow.
>>
>>35913
Certainly very effective. Masks aren’t really made for it however.
>>
>>35652
>Assuming Easton ever was a skin
guy had long hair when he was young and he was never really into music scenes.
>>
>>35913
Just a few weeks ago I got punched with a buckler, hurt a bit and even spilled a bit a blood but nothing serious.
>>
>>31913
Lol what the fuck is even going on here ?
>>
File: 1480998703738.jpg (6 KB, 138x206)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>31581
haven't seen a HEMA thread in a while on 4chan, glad i don't miss it this time! have you all been still training at home despite lockdown? can't say for the rest of EU but here its been a year without sparring and i'm starting to miss it really bad.
>>
>>36179
My club in Colorado started back up about 3 weeks ago. I’ve made good friends who I kept training with despite the lock down. Got my 14 year old nephew into it as well. Been having lots of fun with Longsword, back sword and dagger.
>>
>>35913
It's very effective, the problem is that it's so effective that a proper buckler punch will fuck you up and fuck your mask up as well.
Buckler strikes/pushes to the sword arm are excellent by the way. Not in the I.33 sense, but in the Bolognese one.
>>
>>36179
>have you all been still training at home despite lockdown?
No HEMA classes, yeah.
But I've kept reading old stuff again (Lew, Liegnitzer and Meyer) and some new things (like bolognese).
Also some calisthenics, lots of cardio training like rope skipping and running and a healthier diet.
Every now and then solo drills or just switching between guards with longsword or sword&buckler

When training starts again I want to come back stronger and faster, make the lazy fatties in class seethe and the girls mire
>>
File: quarterstaff.jpg (248 KB, 1812x1132)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>35913
i only do that in medieval combat because you can actually fuck someone up real bad with a well placed hit if there is only HEMA protections.

Same goes for quarterstaff sparring. which is a shame because its a really good weapon with numerous sources and brings a lot of technical knowledge for any two handed weapons. we practiced staff a while in my club but sparrings were rare and had strict rules on valid areas and type of strikes. Despite that, on the few ones that we had, one guy got knowked down for about a minute and another almost got his jaw smashed.
>>
I want to get into HEMA, it seems fun. I'm worried that most of the gyms will be filled with fat LARPers instead of people who actually want to fight though. Is this the case?
>>
>>36462
depends on where you are from. here in france i would say you get around 30% larpers
Regardless, you can spot the difference on how much gear people are packing. casual sports wear+plastic sword are larpers, full outfit + steel swords are here for the real shit. also corpulence says a lot on what said person is in for. don't forget that HEMA can be expensive so you can see under-kitted people that are about fighting aswell. but overall you can tell them apart quite easily. don't be afraid to just show up for a session or two, just to make your mind.
>>
>>36483
forgot to mention that if there is no actual duelling during the session or if the swormaster is being way too gentle on sparring directives (no hitting to hard, no wresling up close, or forbidding thrusts) its probably not a good sign. but you should probably wait for other anons to give their opinion before taking all this as facts.
>>
>>36462
Observe a class and find out yourself. The types of people that do HEMA are all over the board right now.
>>
>>36462
Just do it and find out you can always leave. If they aren’t sparring every night and certainly if they aren’t thrusting its not a HEMA club.

What country are you in?
>>
>>36462
Adding to what the other anons said already, it depends on what weapon you're interested in as well. In my experience larphomos mostly do longsword and sword & buckler, for whatever reason, whereas rapierfags are much more likely to be sensible. Typically less ogroid women, too. God knows why, it's not like there's a shortage of movies with shitty rapier fencing for larptards to base idiotic theories on.
>>
How long should I wait to follow up on a hema place after being on their waitlist?
>>
>>36676
Fucking years with the current climate. I started before my club needed a waitlist but I would have ignored it and kept showing up anyway. My club legitimately prioritises girls and trannies. Fast tracking them in. Makes me sick.
>>
>>36462
>I'm worried that most of the gyms will be filled with fat LARPers instead of people who actually want to fight though. Is this the case?

Yes, 100% if you live in the US. 80% in bongland, 10% in Europe, 0% in slav countries,

Basically the less pozzed and globohomo the country is the less freaks trannies and neckbeards.
>>
>>36717

Unironically start your own. Advertise among the community and get the based people of each club. Even if only for practice, not for lessons, you'll learn from eachother. I know I would start a club if I lived in the US.
>>
>>35913

Absolutely yes, its incredibly fun and effective.

>>35921

Absolute faggot.
>>
>>36462
Go try it out. My club spars once a month as a full class which most of the LARPers bail on, then every Saturday we work on fundamentals and new techniques. My club focuses more on the historical aspect and authentic use as opposed to modern tournament play. Though that’s not to say we don’t have people who participate in tournaments. If you actually buy gear and make friends you can spar as many days a week as you want outside of class.
>>
>>36592
Anon, when you say sparring every night are you trying to imply full contact full speed fighting ? Or just working through drills ?
If the former how tf do you ever expect anyone to understand the fundamentals and learn their Governors ?
>>
>tfw no clubs near me do poleaxe
>>
>>36484
>forbidding thrusts
What if your club is having an 8-week class series where you're doing Meyer, but you have to operate under the documented legal codes (which forbid thrusts unless the other person thrust first) which Meyer was subject to?
>>
>>36794
>If the former how tf do you ever expect anyone to understand the fundamentals and learn their Governors ?
I don't. Just hit people with the sword lol
>>
Thanks to this I can finally just train in my room for hours while watching my chinese cartoons
I know it looks dumb but I love this shit
>inb4 blackfencer shill
>>
>>36868
>inb4 blackfencer shill
Nah, seems reasonable IMO. It looks a bit more unwieldy than the Swing or VB trainers though – longer. Maybe that's just a question of proportions, though?
>>
>>36862
Me riding in on your false times.
>>
>>36794
Guy your responding to here. I would actually prefer less sparring but my club has a set sparring period at the end of every class. All the clubs i’ve visited also.
>>
>>36861
Meyer talks about thrusts in rappier iirc, just reading his longsword and assuming he doesn't thrust is a bit fallacious
>>
>>36915
>Meyer talks about thrusts in rappier iirc
there are thrusts in his dussack section too, but in rappier he goes full thrusty maniac.
>Meyer doesn't thrust
comes from people who never bothered reading beyond his longsword section
>>
>>36915
>>36861 here. I never said Meyer doesn't thrust. What I said was that the legal restrictions in Strasbourg and Ausbourg, under which Meyer operated, were extremely clear that a sword fight was not inherently lethal until someone made a thrust. And if you were the first person to make a thrust, and witnesses corroborated that, then you wouldn't just be fined some money for street fighting, you'd be banished or executed.

Therefore, while Meyer definitely has thrusts, the legal environment under which his teachings existed were very much against the use of a thrust unless you had an extremely good reason to do it, or the other guy thrust at you first.

Our club is putting fencer in the position of using longswords under THAT legal environment. It's not a total (or permanent) ban on thrusts at the club.
>>
>>36861
meyer is fucking boring.
>>
File: 1495668219987.png (39 KB, 321x322)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>36813
why not asking your instructor to give polearm a go?
show up with a file containing drills, sources, and depicitons
>>
>>36868

BlackFencers are top tier in terms of handling, shame about their IKEA look.
>>
Reminder that every style before the year 1600 uses the out-turned foot
>>
File: 800px-Cgm_582_003v.jpg (132 KB, 800x1177)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>36972
This is what canonical KDF footwork looks like
>>
>>36972
>>36973
NOOOOO, BUT MUH JUMPY MOF FOOTWORK!!
>>
>>36925
I understand where they are coming from but I feel like limiting you move set with the advent of modern equipment is a bit much. Might as well have every one throw their piss out the window after practice also
>>
>>36981
>he doesn't throw his piss out the window after practice
>>
>>36976
They're not incompatible
I think some of the bolognese folks are in the lead here as they're the only people who are really combining hip turning, the out-turned foot and a generally agile/light-footed approach.
The problem with the common KDF passing step interp is that it's plodding and restrictive and limited.
>>
>>36981
>He believes in modern plumbing
absolutely blue pilled
>>
>>36981
>he doesn't use the pista defenestra in his fencing practice
you'll never reach the top 100 in longsword
>>
>HEMA 2020s
>>
>>37031
weird way to say talked throughout the class and learned nothing

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.