[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hema22.jpg (636 KB, 1277x1920)
636 KB
636 KB JPG
Historic European Martial Arts General

>Sources:
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
>Find a Club:
https://www.hemaalliance.com/club-finders
https://hroarr.com/train/clubs-gear/club-finder/

>/asp/ F
>>
File: hema6.jpg (227 KB, 1336x768)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
first for trust > cut!
>>
So, what have you all been doing the last couple years? Shitting /k/ up with random sword threads?
>>
File: hema_g.jpg (63 KB, 900x900)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
bampin with some quality HEMA footage.
>>
>There is 1 poster in this thread.
There was no reason to make this thread, we already have two, just post in the George Costanza one you chump.
>>
>>2986
Na man, this is the one and only HEMA General. The other threads are imposters.
>>
File: Hema4.jpg (41 KB, 960x533)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>
File: hema5.jpg (37 KB, 480x480)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2986
Why do you hate HEMA so much? are you oly fencing or SCA?
>>
>>3045
I'm a HEMAist and you're a fucking embarrassment to the sport. You lost the race for the first HEMA thread, get over it and post in the first one.
Actually don't, because you'd probably just shit it up.
>>
File: hema12.jpg (286 KB, 1280x853)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
Also, why do Americans suck so hard at HEMA? Is it just lack of physical fitness compared to Europeans or is there more to it?
>>
File: rockyhorrorhema.jpg (30 KB, 369x400)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>3066
You're German and homosexual, I can tell by the smell and by the way you're holding that buckler.
>>
>>3082
>>3069
Stop trying to drum up controversy for attention you sad twat. Let this thread die so you can hopefully forget this embarrassment.
>>
>>3069
it attracts faggots and trannies for some reason
>>
File: HEMAspar.jpg (111 KB, 960x639)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>3094
Yes, but most of them end up in S&B, so thats ok.
>>
File: lopes.jpg (33 KB, 510x765)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>embarrassment
>George Costanza
you tried I guess.
>>
>>3139
What a quick and blistering zinger of a comeback, only took you half an hour and you only slightly exposed yourself as a newfag.
>>
File: sidesword_hema.png (1.78 MB, 1268x820)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>3185
admit it you fight S&B because you are not man enough for some good old longsword. I give you two year tops, then you'll go for some SCA or other foam LARP because you can't take it any more ;^)
>>
>>2906
>Shitting /k/ up with random sword threads?
/k/ doesn't need sword threads for shitting up
>>
File: Lopes_c.jpg (38 KB, 500x725)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>3293
yeah, but some good old katana thread will always trigger them. I think they feel threatened by the sword and it's legendary power.
>>
File: zwish1.jpg (178 KB, 1000x1333)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
I just leave this here.
>>
>>2860
help me /HEMA/, I watched a lot of videos about quarterstaff ("normal" and Meyer style), staff (scottish, canarias and east asian) and stick (european, bartitsu and islander).

If I want to try learning it, where should I start? so far, quarterstaff looks nice and more practical.
>>
>>3545
Do you have some space to train without breaking stuff and a quarterstaff?
>>
>>3555
oh yeah, we are in lockdown, lol.

No, I don't. Sticks then?
>>
>>3559
I mean if you can go to the local park or forest and do some swings there?
>>
>>3082
Those are some slutty pantaloons
>>
>>3545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RamZ4_E7M
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLho45QUTGtE-cCtSA_lOGdc5htWj94-NV
>>
>>3518
Fighting in a Kult of Athena Gamebson, using hockey gloves. That sword ought to have killed him. We'd be better off.
>typical American
>>
>>3644
I'm surprised that you ignored the pokemon pants, but then I'm not.
>>
>>3578
in my country (Peru) there are now restrictions to do activities in parks. People don't care but I want to be a good goy and not get in trouble.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
So I heard /our/ guy Roland is the gold standard when it comes to i.33 and sword and buckler fighting. So why all the hate from guys that haven't spent half as much time reconstructing i.33 and probably can't even read it proper like Roland can?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZvpqywZ8M
>>
>>3665
I understand, we have curfew too.
>>
File: 094_1000.jpg (154 KB, 667x1000)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Is it true that fencing was a favourite past time for high class hookers in the 19th century?
>>
>>3700
Unironically, yes. There's a LOT of period images and testimonies of women fighting topless.
>>
I did hema for a few years, then our club got split up because some leftists in the club and on the other side of the planet found out that the guy running it didn't want trannies in the Olympics. I stopped going shortly after that mess.
>>
>>3700
High class hookers take parts in lots of hobbies.
A high class hooker is expected to not only fuck like a champ, but to be able to convincingly converse with you about your hobbies and interests.
>>
File: 1611360992815.jpg (79 KB, 720x854)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
HEMA stands for
Here
Enjoy
Megan
Anderson
>>
File: img_3669.jpg (191 KB, 1242x911)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>3815
teach me more about those ladies!
>>
>>3668
It's an incomplete text, nobody can read it proper. Learn Manciolino instead of fetishizing "the oldest text we have".
>>
File: Rolly.jpg (304 KB, 567x675)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>3668
Ronald mostly triggers guys that cannot into medieval German and guys that want to sportify medieval fencing and just cannot understand it doesn't work that way. Within real HEMA circles his rep is rock solid.
>>
>>4454
>muh a page is missing
>also it is complicated and I cannot into German
>now ignore this wonderful 750 years old manual
ok
>>
>>4264
The tatts look white trash.
>>
File: 2-6.jpg (174 KB, 960x539)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
So what is the most HEMA game there is and why is it Witcher?
>>
>>3192
>admit it you fight S&B because you are not man enough for some good old longsword.
kek, give a sidesword and buckler to a longsworder and he'll get cramps within minutes.
in the end rapier is the only chad choice though
>>
File: praying_mantis.png (570 KB, 868x936)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
>>3668
He has transcended HEMA
>>
>>4457
>>4466
Roland is responsible for creating an awful sparring culture where people are convinced that slow, gearless sparring is all they need to be doing, having this guy as the face of HEMA sword and buckler is a fucking embarrassment

I.33 isn't great as a source either, it paints an incomplete picture of sword and buckler that for some reason advises you not to strike low. Interpretations generally revolve around retarded unsupported myths such as:
>The buckler is there specifically to protect your hand (removing one of the major aspects of s&b which is to cover in one place while attacking another)
>Strikes to the leg are dangerous (they aren't when set up properly)
>Sword and buckler is mostly about bind work
>Hip hinging to the extreme degree Roland demonstrates being in any way sensible

Overall you're better off looking at Bolognese S&B, or Lignitzer, Talhoffer, and Paulus Kal within KdF if you want to actually form decent interpretations and fencing practices instead of obsessing over muh oldest source.
>>
File: rolly.jpg (72 KB, 900x900)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>4527
He is the one guy that trains with sharps and no masks and gets historically close to what would have been done during the late medieval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffL0iyLR8Po
Also he does proper sparring, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dhok8Z8Yg
You sound like a sports fencer that is mad he cannot into medieval history.
>>
File: 1613746634361[1].png (134 KB, 470x375)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>4535
>slow sword-rubbing
>proper sparring
>>
File: federbrain.png (8 KB, 128x128)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>4535

>history
>>
File: dürer.png (43 KB, 339x324)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>4536
>>4539
>ignoring some of the best HEMA because you cannot into medival German and hate this one guy so much and envy his success
sad.

Even tho Roland is a little eccentric on times, he is an achieved fighter and his interpretation of the i.33 works like a charm even in full speed, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkenr-8SvU
Also Roland has actually a clear concept about fighting with sharps, unlike you federfaggots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0HulsThp9U
>>
File: Cgm_1507_52v.jpg (482 KB, 1248x1325)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
>>4535
>he doesn't use creepy face bucklers
Literally HOW is that guy relevant?
>>
>>4535
Roland's interpretations are widely unsupported and made up from a source that isn't very good in the first place.
That aside, I'm also criticising how he trains and spars as a fencer, in which he's pretty garbo. It's because he's a professional illustrator with putting out content on patreon, youtube, and facebook that he has such a big following, but what he does is more medieval living history/re-enactment and less historical fencing.
Look up Borislav Krustev or Angel Chernaev from MOTUS if you want examples of people training and fencing sword and buckler to a decent standard.
>>
>>4546
these guys also do some light sparring but actually try to hit each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguglWJko0A
>>
>>4561
Why are you so mad at Roland? Did he delete you from a tournament and you can't handle your defeat?
>>
>No HEMA clubs in South Australia
what do.
>>
>>4626
https://www.aushistoricalfencing.com/schools
>>
>>4634
Thanks.
>>
>>4600
>Roland
>tournament
kek, the last time he did anything comparable to actual sparring was swordfish 2009.
guess what, it looked nothing like the sword tai chi he's doing now
>>
>>4561
Roland doesn't even really train from I.33 any more, his recent content just selectively draws from random early-to-high medieval illustrations that could be (mis)construed as supporting whatever strange hypothesis he's got at the moment.
The most damning thing about him is that none of his conclusions and principles line up with later, more clear and complete sword and buckler sources, while said sources share a lot in common even though they're quite separate in time and geography.
His dogmas also contradict I.33 itself; for example, the strict idea that the sword hand must always be protected doesn't stand up to scrutiny if you take the entirety of the book into consideration.
His stance, which people love to mock, is also a great example of this. Not only is it horrendously unstable and hard to move in (in his Dreynevent video he even struggles to keep his balance), but it also isn't really corroborated by any serious source, including I.33 itself. It seems far more likely that what I.33 was trying to depict is actually the sort of stance you find in plenty of other S&B (and other weapon) sources, both in images and described in text:
Front leg bent, rear leg relatively straight, equal weight distribution between both feet, hips angled so that the entire torso is in line with the rear leg. This is a very balanced stance that gives you excellent freedom of movement for footwork, excellent hip mobility, and tons of stability. What Roland does on the other hand seems like a bad parody of Fabris.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHASYk24YQ
Children should start HEMA asap, it's in our blood (European not Am*r*c*n, you disgusting mutts can fuck right off)
>>
>>4782
whats your major malfunction?
>>
>>4782
>spinning around and exposing your backside
this was clearly done for show
>>
>>4911
shitposting and subhuman muts
>>
>>4782
fuck off back to /pol/

but wow these guys are crazy https://youtu.be/3c8GbYKM-mQ?t=193
>>
Does dark souls PVP experience carry over to hema?
I know the motions are way different but I feel extremely confident in my ability to fight in a 3d space.
>>
>>5391
???
>>
>>5394
I can read my opponents movements like a book
a step forwards a step backwards I know what they're thinking
It must be the same way in real life right?
>>
>>5398
God, I can't wait for the /xs/ novelty to wear off so retards and/or baiters like you fuck off to other boards
>>
>>5398
if you're good yes, you can see just tiny weight shifts your opponent does and know what hes gonna do next. if you're that deep in his mind you can do pretty much everything. Best things for show of absolute dominance are bad ass counter riposte, or you take him to school with some nasty feint.
>>
>>5398
>>5391
I keep hearing about people like this, I would absolutely LOVE to see one in my club. Just the one visit would probably provide us with months worth of entertainment.
>>
File: bastards.gif (438 KB, 500x280)
438 KB
438 KB GIF
>>5409
to be fair, even in the best days of old /asp/ we got baited constantly, after all, we are sword nerds in the 21st century, so it is kinda expected. i remember us being pretty good at not getting triggered by the plebs and having quality bants with the oly guys and others.
>>
>>5417
hey I'm not like some cringe autist
>>
>>5417
You mean like some chi guy walking into an mma fight?
>>
>>5432
>I'm not like some cringe autist
>dark souls
yeah, no
>>
>>5636
Yeah, like that. I'm actually a kendoka/kenjutsuka so my absolute dream is getting to see some ninjer try this shit while sparring:
https://youtu.be/lqXmrvRC8z8?t=169
>>
>>5894
We had a guy on that level in a taster class. It was comedy gold, unfortunately he didn't stay, despite us trying our best not to be rude.
>>
Crossposting something that's actually interesting from the other HEMA thread:

>>4852
>>4852
>why doesn't Meyer talk a lot about thrusting in longsword?
Check out the Martial Ethic in Early Modern Germany, by Jan Tlustly. They found a shit ton of legal docs from mid-16th century Strassburg and Magdeburg (ie, where and when Meyer was living and teaching), and they've been using them to put a lot of what Meyer was teaching into a legal context.

Short version:
Male citizens were *expected* to wear swords and help keep the peace, and were required to get at least minimal training with said swords. This has the side effect of creating a LOT of street duels (between 100-300/year, overall giving you about a 30% chance of being in a street fight at some point in your 16-50 years), because you have a bunch of people with weapons running around.

From the legal docs, a "cut" was not considered a lethal attack, while a "thrust" absolutely was. If you're in a witnessed street fight and you're the first person to resort to a lethal attack, the legal penalties were WAY higher. Like, exile. Comparatively, there was just a moderate fine (about 2 days wages) if you were in a street fight and only cut at your opponent. That's the legal environment in which Meyer was teaching longsword. No shit he's going to emphasize the cut over the thrust. The cut was safer (comparatively, and keeping in mind the lesser regard for safety of pre-modern societies), and everyone recognized that the thrust was absolutely lethal if it lands. In an environment where you have about a 1-in-3 chance of being in a street swordfight at some point in your life, and where if you attack with a thrust and it's witnessed you can be exiled, it makes sense that a teacher is going to focus mainly on cutting attacks.
>>
File: loooool.png (248 KB, 498x662)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
>hey this looks fun lets see what the locals are doing in the scene
>>
>>6176
>you can be exiled
It gets even worse if you consider the social strata of the Standesgesellschaft, stabbing the wrong guy can get you a death sentence,
>>
>>6614
Fucking hell I was just about to look up Hema here. Not surprised, everything is about the degenerates here.
>>
File: 1601635584072.png (31 KB, 917x1027)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>6614
>>6653
>>
#/pol/btfo
thumbed up and RT'd
>>
>>6614
i regret looking at their stuff fellow potatonigger
>>
Thanks for keeping /pol/tards out of HEMA, based Irish.
>>
>>6679
I dont really associate HEMA with gay niggers and trannies desu
>>
File: byebye.jpg (114 KB, 481x481)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
chudlets, when will they ever learn.
>>
File: 1612885526615.jpg (114 KB, 400x300)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>6662
>>
Post HEMA you tards
>>
>>6980
>Meyer pants
>sSword and Buckler
what trickery is this?
>>
>>6176
>In an environment where you have about a 1-in-3 chance of being in a street swordfight at some point in your life, and where if you attack with a thrust and it's witnessed you can be exiled, it makes sense that a teacher is going to focus mainly on cutting attacks.
Any idea how high the likelihood is today for an average urbanite to end up in a fight involving knifes and or guns at least once in his life? I mean the numbers sound extreme (lol) but in context this was all men 16-60 mandated by law to own weapons, exercise with them 60-90 days a year and where it is customary to get horribly drunk after militia day is over. For that alone it's fair stats, add late medieval-early modern social circumstances to that and you see that the dudes must have been pretty chill.
Also Germans, they love pretty scars from cuts and slashes., but if you stab the other guy to death, he cannot wörk no more, so the law was very sensible.
>>
>>5417
>>5391

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oyaRQiVYeA
>>
File: tetet.png (111 KB, 309x732)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>6614
Its maddening how you can't get away from any of this shit
>>
>>7194
Damn, that some fancy groundwork!
>>
>>7198
Maybe you should try not being racist fucks. Then you wouldn't have a problem with any of that.
>>
File: 1613771256640.png (2.02 MB, 1339x671)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB PNG
>>7268
I wouldn't be racist if it hadn't been shoved in my face through every avenue. Go to /pol/ if you want to debate it.
>>
>>7276
You wouldn't be racist if you didn't think that one race was inherently better than another. That's it. That's all that matters. Since you do, then you deserve to have it shoved in your face, everywhere you go, with everything you do, until you either change or kill yourself. Either is acceptable.
>>
>>7288
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7276
>start /pol/ posting in the HEMA thread
>get reminded that /pol/tards are human waste and not welcome in HEMA
>gets angry and tells people to debate him on /pol/
That's why I love real life, a place where people wouldn't touch you with a 6 foot shit covered stick. Now go fantasize about trannies and the day somebody finally respects you.
>>
>>7293
The irony contained your post is truly amazing.
>>
File: Posh Chad.jpg (61 KB, 624x624)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>4497
>in the end rapier is the only chad choice though
Absolutely patrician my brother
>>
>>7288
please stop replying to the /pol/tard. ktnx.
>>
>>7309
Rapier is for weak men and slutty women. If you had some dignity left you would do something like Messer or Victorian sabre.
>>
File: 00.jpg (47 KB, 512x282)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>7313
Keep seething
>>
>>7320
I bet you never fought buttnacked with a rapier. I fought buttnacked with a Dussack and I don't regret it.
>>
>>7325
>I fought buttnacked with a Dussack and I don't regret it.
May I ask for context?
>>
File: spanking.png (98 KB, 647x267)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>7330
Swordfish midnight brawl, half a bottle of rhum, sexy twinks beating each others with heavy leather dussacks.
>>
File: Smiling Abbath.jpg (20 KB, 344x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>7338
That seems like a hell of a time
>>
kendoka here, fite me faggots.
>>
File: 800px-Agrippa_1553_02.jpg (102 KB, 800x553)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>7325
Based nacked fencer
>>
File: virgin kendo.png (192 KB, 1396x604)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>7362
Come to my club then. One cut to your leg and you'll be crying that you didn't wear anything protective under your little skirt.
>>
>>3665
Hola PeruARIO
>>
I'm a larper and I want to git gud, or at least a little better. What advice do you real sword lads have for me?
>inb4 stop clomping around the woods with an overpriced toy sword like a retard
I am a retard and life is too short to not do the things I enjoy
>>
>>7645
Is that an OC image?
>>
>>7338
hot
where can I find buddies who'd do this?
>>
>>7725
Footwork, footwork, and then more footwork.
>>
Who makes the best custom swords? Money isn't an object. I want a fucking Berserk-huge sword. I don't care if it looks ugly, I want something fucking big and sturdy
>>
>>8151
To clarify, I don't want an actual Berserk sword, I don't give a fuck about the manga, I just want something big and that was the biggest one I was aware of
>>
>>7786
Nah, just searched for hema vs kendo and grabbed one of the first images.
>>
>>4491
>spin spin spin heavy strike
>>
>>7313
>Rapier is for weak men and slutty women
t. never held a rapier
these things are heavy as fuck and you hold 'em out most of the time.

>>7325
>I fought buttnacked with a Dussack
that's pretty based though, Dussack is incredibly fun
>>
>>8114
Thanks mate. Will put more effort into practicing that.
>>
>>8237
>these things are heavy as fuck and you hold 'em out most of the time.
that's what she said.
>>
File: Marozzo_1568_5.jpg (581 KB, 664x949)
581 KB
581 KB JPG
How "easy" are bolognese sword and sidearms like buckler or dagger to learn and how good are the translations?
The upright postures look interesting and easy on the body and the swords are stylish af
>>
>>8308
The translations are good-great, although the best ones are restricted to printed books. The biggest hurdle in Bolognese is learning the terminology. Once you've got that, it's very intuitive.
The small buckler is mostly for play and practice, while the targa and large buckler are for combat. Hence, the former will generally contain flashy moves while the latter two don't beat around the bush nearly as much.
Actually using a small buckler will really sharpen your defences up, and the stylish shit is great for practising purposes too, so they're worth doing, but don't expect them to work against someone who's playing to win.
The two best sources are Manciolino and Anonimo. Marozzo is fine-ish, but the fucker couldn't write properly and no translation will fix that. Dall'Agocchie and Viggiani don't do bucklers.
>>
>>8349
Great, thank you very much!
>>
>>2970
Noice thats my club. Only just found these threads by accident. Have been missing the /asp/ general for years.
>>
>>8237
>these things are heavy as fuck and you hold 'em out most of the time.
Fucking this.

It's smallsword and epee/foil that are for weak men and women (I'd say slutty, but I already said women). Wielding a 14oz weapon takes no effort at all.
>>
File: file.png (2.16 MB, 960x1440)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB PNG
is Hema this or am I confused
>>
File: porta-di-ferro_orig.png (253 KB, 362x400)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
>>8361
I'll give you some more tips:

Start with the sword alone because coordinating both hands is a bitch for beginners. You can add a buckler or other offhand weapon relatively soon once you feel a bit comfortable, which I find important so that you don't get too one-sided. You don't need an arming- or sidesword to start, a solid stick is enough to practice basic movements on your own. The Bolognese stuff places a huge emphasis on offhand weapons, so much so that it even affects how they fence with an empty left hand. Therefore, it's good that you're going in with that emphasis.

Ilkka Hartikainen's two channels (one named after himself, the other's Marozzo.com) are the best general introduction for seeing all the guards and cuts and whatnot, for example this video:
https://youtu.be/aijGSXbA2nw

When it comes to reading, as I said, the Anonimo and Manciolino are the best places to start and my favourite sources in general. Once you've somewhat grasped the guards and cuts from Ilkka's video, you can read the introduction part of the Anonimo Bolognese (everything before the plays), found here:
https://wiktenauer.com/images/8/83/Anonimo_Bolognese_translation_%28Stephen_Fratus%29.pdf
It's a great introduction into the mindset and stuff, and it'll give you a good primer in terms of things like body mechanics, which you absolutely mustn't underestimate. Parts of it are also really amusing.

(1/2)
>>
>>8627
No. The core difference is that HEMA is good.
>>
File: 371px-Marozzo_11.png (256 KB, 371x400)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
The Anonimo and Manciolino are quite different in structure. Once you get to the actual fighting part, the Anonimo is just a shitload of mostly short plays, which are often related to those that precede/succeed each-other. The plays vary from very short and pragmatic bread-and-butter moves to "how to troll the shit out of your opponent in the most ridiculous way possible".
Manciolino on the other hand works heavily with "assalti" for teaching. These can be thought of as a sort of Spaghetti Kata, and are very long and quite a bitch to learn on your own I'm afraid.
He does also teach basic offences and defences with various weapons as well, which are definitely more accessible. Notably, because it's more combat-oriented, Manciolino's section on the large buckler/targa doesn't use assalti.

The guards vary a tad between sources, so if you end up working with multiple ones simultaneously, make sure you understand which Guardia d'Intrare or Coda Longa Alta or whatever is being talked about.

(2/2)
>>
>>8629
>>8631
Awesomo, thanks!
>>
>>4264
Never heard of them but I can already tell how biased the judging gets when they are around.
>>
>>3668

He's made fun of, a lot, and with good reason.

It's a bit of this >>4457 and a bit of this >>4504

He has a unique aproach and I do think he's on to something, and he's an excellent artist. However he is very self centered and deluded in himself and his persona. His stuff is about him, not about swords or fencing. In this delusion he's made hilarious stuff like his bubble but fencing and that african spear dance.

I think his existance is positive though, he's the prime example of "that guy" of HEMA.
>>
>>3094
HEMA is a peak Self-Actualisation activity. If you can afford the time and money involved your needs are met to the extent spiritual boredom pushes you to whacky extremes. Physically insecure and unsatisfied nerds grasping at an escapist empowerment fantasy. That has an obvious crossover with Transsexuality.
I've met 8-9 Trannies in HEMA (in the US and internationally) now which is more than any other hobby or setting. 2 were almost passable.

The Virtue signalling in HEMA online communities is rife but only because it's organisations (not necessarily individual clubs but government bodies etc) are currently dominated by the Gen X twitter generation who are old enough to not have had their ego's crushed by the likes of 4chan at a formative age and overvalue 'their' opinions online. (Take this post as a prime example). The actual peak social media generation. If you stick with the people actually training and sparring and avoid the uppity middle aged women comparing leggings and the simps who encourage them online. You can completely avoid politics of all kinds. They're all aging out anyway.
The worst part is these libs are all totally disingenous and hate on eachother endlessly if seperated by more than a few meters. Have you noticed they also actively discriminate against the (nonTrans) Autistic after their clubs reach a certain capacity. The neckbeards that are the OG core of HEMA. I have and it disgusts me. I've seen multiple examples of young very studious Autists being shunned and chased out of clubs by the female members for being creepy. When they have done absolutely nothing to do deserve it.
This advancing age issue makes me worried that HEMA has actually already peaked and will soon begin to decline.

The life cycle of the HEMA club eventually becomes bloated by women and trannies discouraging future young men. Compounding the decline exponentially. Exercise slows to a minimum and the club disappears as a competitive entity.
>>
>>8886
checkem,
>>
>>7313

>Messer can go from 600 to 1000 grams
>Victorian sabres are in the 600-800 range
>Rapiers are in the 1000 - 2000 gram range

Lmao u fool
>>
@8886
>clownflag
>/pol/post baiting
Americans are completely worthless in HEMA and all you do is shitting up the thread with your political bullshit. Please be a useless cunt somewhere else.
>>
@8930
Thank you for taking the time to tweet your reply. Kindly dilate.
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (113 KB, 1882x1059)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>8930
>>8945
>@
>>
>>7338
Everyone involved was almost certainly fat and/or ugly
>>
>>8883
>he's the prime example of "that guy" of HEMA.
I thought that was John Clements.
>>
File: ArmaRage1.jpg (36 KB, 489x327)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>9164
>>
File: fag.jpg (234 KB, 2048x1536)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
Who /goldmedal/ here?
>>
File: 1605751238883.jpg (28 KB, 720x735)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
So, /HEMA/ my old Neyman shit is pretty fucked up after all these years? Can any of u mad lads recommend me some brands or should I just take the SPES pill?
>>
File: am-0837-0838_96.jpg (248 KB, 1000x1000)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
I have to say it, this is some truly retarded garbage. Is this a sport or larp/reenactment ?

I'm going to ask the tough questions. Why do they wear padding when you could simply pad the sword?
????????????
Here's the problem, and I've seen it in every video on this between every fighter, they can't truly wield the weight of the sword in a normal, realistic way because even if it's light, a 2-3lb piece of metal can shatter your neck, wrist, elbow, knee, ribcage. In every fight, they know this and their body language reads 'I'm scared to actually hurt you so I'll draw you in instead'
then it's two seconds of weird tangled humans and a ref going WHOAA

Here's real life 500 years ago: swing that thing as hard as you possibly can until your enemy's sword vibrates out of their hand, or they can't withstand your assault and falter. there's none of this prancing around bullshit, your attack and defense are simultaneous, that was the art.

This could be a sport, but to swing a heavy sword in any way that resembles real sword you have to pretend each strike is for their body. If they block with less intensity, they don't last.

Serious argument here: how can you not win 100% of the time using a fencing foil? it's not like you're using the weight of your weapon to beat theirs, and the quickest gun in the west scenario dominates. If you feel the blade first, , that's a point in sports, it's death in real life.
Why a foil would lose to a broadsword in real life is because you can smash through it, yet there's no smashing being done here. I'd bring a fucking carbon fiber stick at 0.2 lb and make everyone my bitch.

This whole thing is strange and hard to watch. You never see real sword fighting because no one is really trying to hack their into the opponent, and that makes the whole point of a rigid sword obsolete.
>>
File: 1597892732038.jpg (213 KB, 819x1024)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>9606
tl:dr ur gay, go back to sci
>>
>>9542
Take the SPES pill.

The short version for HEMA gear is that SPES is good enough to do whatever you want it to. It's 100% going to be a safe choice. Once you've gotten yourself going (or back into it) with your full SPES set, then and only then should you start looking at other manufacturers. You'll always have your Spes stuff to fall back on if the new thing you got from *whoever* doesn't work out for you.
>>
>>9686
I broke a finger while wearing spes heavy gloves because they dont guard the tips of your fingers. Im still mad about it.
>>
>>9616
thankyou for that pic.
>>
>>9697
Have you tried getting good?
>>
File: 20210223_003303.jpg (255 KB, 578x705)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>9705
>safety equipment doesnt adequately protect your hands properly from the inside angle.
>this is your fault
>>
>>8965
there are other countries than the US
>>
>>9774
You're making the kind assumption that Orkmerica was ever a real country in the first place
>>
>>9606
>Historical European
Historical/academic study
>Martial Arts
Combat sport, predominantly fencing
A more descriptive term is historical fencing because that sums up what most people are doing. Just think of it as foil and sabre with weird weapons, and no electric scoring or right of way.

People do use padded foam swords called boffers, but the issue with those is that they don't offer many of the qualities a sword has such as edge alignment or the feeling a blade engagement, parrying by striking their flat with your edge is just one such example. With them you're basically just using padded sticks, which is fine for when you don't have much gear or experience when you're starting out, but steel blunts with flexible blades and rolled/spatulated tips are the end goal. You can also still get carried away and whack people pretty hard with plastic or foam, so it's not injury free.

Fencing isn't about just using the weight of your weapon to beat theirs, and a foil isn't a guaranteed win because modern fencing has rules determining right of way. Priority is gained by starting an attack, parrying or evading an opponent's attack, or by establishing point in line by extending your arm and point your sword at the valid target area, which is good practice for fencing in general. You can't just keep attacking after your first attack failed because you no longer have RoW so you won't be awarded the point.
In epee there's no RoW, which means parry riposte matters less and you instead have a meta based around stop hits to any exposed target area. It means you can attack whenever you want, but so can your opponent and if you both hit each other then you've both scored. Double hits obviously aren't a favourable outcome because you don't want your opponent to score, modern olympic fencing (MOF) bouts are usually played to 15 points.
>>
>>9606
>>9850
(cont.)
In HEMA with weapons such as longsword and rapier, you also don't want to be hit at the same time as your opponent for similar reasons, except neither of you are awarded points in this scenario. Fencers are also penalised for afterblows, which is when you hit someone but allow them to hit you back within a short space of time because you weren't able to defend yourself properly afterwards.
In either case, the "real life" equivalent is that you both wound or kill each other, and that's not something you want.

To conclude:
>Padded swords do exist and are used, but are essentially like using sticks and modern sport foils/sabres/epees behave more like actual swords because they're steel
>Padded swords aren't much safer if you're not wearing anything, while wearing a fencing mask, jacket, sparring gloves, breeches, groin protectors, throat protectors, forearm/elbow protectors, and shin/knee protectors made from materials like plastic, kydex, or styrogum can allow you to safely spar with blunt steel weapons that better represent the physical qualities of a real sword
>Your idea of sword fighting being "hacking with the weight of your weapon to beat theirs" is based on television/movies/games/comics and LARP
>Fencing can look like "prancing around" as well as people meekly approaching each other and autistically flailing, and can even be fast and exciting depending on what type of fencing you watch or partake in and how good the fencers are
HEMA is a martial art, practiced as a modern combat sport like all martial arts worth shit currently are. If you actually want to do it then I'd hit up your local club if you have one, as well as a MOF or a Kendo club which is transferable.
>>
>the absolute state of...
>>
>>9889
>Robert Brooks
who is that fag anyway and what is he doing? dildo fencing?
>>
>>9894
Close, Messers
>>
lol
>>
>>9850
>>9865
You forgot that padded boffers are mostly dogshit for thrusting safety compared to steel swords which can flex.
>>
>>9899
no wonder these people see nazis everywhere, anyone not outright supporting communism is a nazi to them
>>
>>9910
>be shit at HEMA
Pettersson and Linnard disagree
>>
>>9910
Not banned. I would also thrash you with ease.
>>
>>9889
I really love historical european martial arts. I really fucking hate historical european martial artists. Its nice I get to fuck them up with steel when tournaments come around. At least it would be if any of these fucking faggots acttually cared about getting good.
>>
>>9899
I gurantee almost any serious competitor could probably beat this retard to death with a blunt sword
>>
>>9981
we know
>>
>>9981
please understand, virtue signaling is more important than fencing
>>
Any of guys in Miami? I've asked in the other thread but it's dead, I want to start practicing I bit more often then the usual guild get together.
>>
>>10029
>>10034
>>10035
Thank youfor combing through his history, you based autist. Hate that retards like these have such a big place and following in the "community", are there even any clubs left that aren't filled with these types?
>>
>>10040

Facebook is for retards and there's only a handful of commies, it just looks like its everyone because they are most active on social media, and opposite oppinions are censored.

We're generally based in Spain, and Poland ,Belarus, Russia etc are incredibly based.
>>
>>9697
They fixed that years ago.
>>
Can we talk about fencing again instead the mental instability of Anglosphere GenXers? Can't you fuckers just not be in the same clubs as them? Clubs peacefully split here all the time.
>>
File: Proguantlet.png (576 KB, 1024x948)
576 KB
576 KB PNG
Is this meme, or does it wörk?
>>
>>10085

Yes
>>
I've had and handled most swords than 99% of hemafags, will lurk hema generals to give advice.
>>
>>10085
I tried them at an event last year, they struck me as 100% legit. Not sure how they are in terms of longsword protection (seems good enough), but they are the fucking holy grail of gloves when it comes to one-handed shit.
>>
>>10082
You start, also gay pants lmao.
>>
>>10080
I havent bought gloves in years. Whats the difference on the newest spes heavies
>>
>>10085

Theyre excellent and meme. Super expensive and they don't do custom sizes (even though they have the capacity to do so easily).

They sell you a size S, M or L and expect you to pay a fuckton hoping they will fit. I'd gladly pay two fucktons if I could select cusotm hand width and finger lengths, since they have the individual parts and assembly is modular.
>>
>>10093
>gay pants
why are you mentally retarded?
>>
>>10095
Better thumb, better fingertips. Sparring Gloves mittens are still way better.
>>
>>10082
>Can't you fuckers just not be in the same clubs as them?
In america? No. Theyre inescapable
>>
>>10102

Nah, SPES heavies are 100% the most protective and comfy.

Changed my Sparring mittens for 5 finger ones, because I couldnt grip the fucking swords. Also they require extra long grips on swords which is bad.
>>
>>10095
Detailed here: http://histfenc.com/productcart/lobster-heavy-gloves
Plus they have these now:
http://histfenc.com/productcart/red-lobster-limited-heavy-gloves-level-2
>>
>>10108

The only downside of SPES heavies is they degrade quick, the inner glove is made of fake leather, and theyre huge as fuck.

Terrible for tournaments, even bad hand snipes make the gloves sound and that's a point scored for your opponent.

Also you need forearm protections, which is shit.
>>
>>10107
>He didn't buy custom sized gloves
[spoiler]Neither did I lol[/spoiler]
>He wants to risk broken fingers at the hands of some retard in a tournament
>>
>>10113

I actually bought custom sized mittens and waited a very long time for them, fitting was dogshit. Got standard 5 finger gloves and they fit much much better lol.
>>
>>10103
Really? They don't seem like the sort who really contribute anything to training, so wouldn't it be easier to just have a handful of dudes meet in someone's backyard instead?

>>10107
Sparring gloves are way lower profile than SPES lobsters. Sounds to me like yours didn't fit right. Custom sizing costs very little extra.
Unlike the SPESes they do have a significant break-in period though.
Also, the five-fingers are definitely not viable for longsword. That resin shit shatters if you hit it hard, which will result in broken fingers.
>>
>>10100
Because we live in a society where hema'ists are oppressed and can't say gamer words
>>
>>8629
>>8631
Looked into Manciolino yesterday, the translation is easy to read and understand.
Is it "easy" to start learning alone?
I'm fear clubs will stay closed for a few more weeks/months but I have experience with Liechtenauer longsword and Lecküchner Messer.
Training guards, cuts, thrusts and footswork by myself should be possible, right?
>>
>>10115
Fair enough, I was at one point debating getting 5 finger gloves because trying to twer with an arming sword in mittens is fucking horrible, but I still haven't done anything about it because lockdown season 3 happened in the UK and we lost our club space
>>
>>10121

Im considering keeping the mittens for tournaments, but for anything else the 5 finger gloves are better. They're less protective but that's good imo. Save for accidents, it teaches to actually fence as if you had no armor (unlike hit hit hit -get hit- hit tourneyfags). They teach you to protect your hands and fingers and the grip of swords is 200% better. I can grab swords with 9cm grips or less, a much better size.
>>
>>10121
afaik you can order only a single glove from SG if you never switch weapon arm
>>
>>10040
Thabk you for calling me a based autist despite the tranny jannies deleting my posts. Anyways, I dont know a lot about dussak and want to know how its pedagology varies from later period saber. Is it more similar to saber/cutlass or messer
>>
>>10119
>Is it "easy" to start learning alone?
Decently easy, I'd say. I also started solo while my club was on summer break two years ago, got a good enough grasp that i could convince a few others to join in once we met up again
>Training guards, cuts, thrusts and footswork by myself should be possible, right?
Certainly. The internet has plenty of things to help you along.
Ilkka is a great "role model" when it comes to understanding how to move, so pay close attention to his solo drill vids and stuff, but take some with a grain of salt if they're a straight decade old. Bear in mind that he usually shows the guards as they are according to Anonimo, which differ a bit from Manciolino.
>>
>>10138
I don't really know anything about messer but dussack is very different from later-period sabre as it primarily uses passing footwork.
>>
>>10116
>Really? They don't seem like the sort who really contribute anything to training,
Yes...also no. Allow me to explain the situation. My my coach was a sport saber guy for two decades. He nearly made it to the olympics but not quite. Afterwords he got into iaido, kendo, bjj and then finally hema. Hes a legit athlete and a fantastic coach. I love him like a brother. The provlem is we live in a blue state, and he himself is also blue. His training classes are distracted by (no bullshit) his desire to involve the inner city and also to essentially baby sit the fucking trannies (also no bullshit, actual fucking trannies) who's ego are too big to actually learn or care avout what we're drillling. My only other option to learn hema would be to start my own club which I am not experienced enough to effectively do so especially im competing with a guy I dont want to compete with. politics aside I like him.
OR I could go to a club that is an out of state two hour drive. Hema in america is fucked by liberals and transexuals who want ruin it just like everything else

I know my coach likes me. I know he sees me as one of only a few legitimate competitors. But I also know he wants to bring in trannys for no fucking reason to shit up his own club because hes a gen xer who hasnt realized the error of his ways yet
>>
>>10154

Consider taking training as your second job and get very good at it. Then move on and either create your own club or take individual classes. Recruit as many friends and mates as you can and cut it out.
>>
Is £70 a good deal for a pair of new Red Dragon gloves?
>>
>>10198
When I finish college I plan on moving. Im not thinking long term about where im at. Im pretty positive once I leave theres only going to be one serious guy left along with my coach and after that the club is just shitheads wasting time.
>>
>>10202
>red dragon
Depends how bad you want broken hand bones
>>
>>10154
Case and point
>>
>>10206

Fucking nwo brainwash I swear.

Poles and russkies are based as fuck, and coincidentally some of the best most fit fighters.

If my school was like this I'd outright quit or make them quit.
>>
>>10202
No? Where'd you get that idea? They're £54 from the Knight Shop/HEMA Shop.
>>
>>10202

No and save more for Sparring Gloves or SPES
>>
>>10206
>rainbow gradient
>queer as fuck
Maybe I'm just showing my age here but that looks psychedelic to me, not homosexual.
>>
>>10212

Neo commie shit is NWO corporate droning and brainwash. Gay is a brand, lgbtqz is a brand, queeer is a brand, faggot is a brand, tranny is a brand... they all have their products, their logos, their marketing....
>>
>>10212
no you're right (or I'm old too), but it looks funky as hell and not like some trans/queer shit
>>
Why is American HEMA is substandard compared to European HEMA? Gear, people, standards, everything seems to be lower when you compare them to Europe.
>>
>>10282
Really makes you thinkydink
>>
>>10282
Europeans have heritage, culture, tradition, homogeneity, they aren't shamed for their past, they aren't lazy like the boomers or sheltered like the zoomers.
Americans don't have those things so they can only practice it for shallow egotistical reasons.
>>
>>10282
>Less of a direct connection to the history
>Attention-whoring culture
>LARPy origins
>>
>>10206
I would say 'I wonder what Meyer would make of this' but I reckon I already know.
>>
>>10282
as the others said, stronger link to the culture and heritage
but just wait 3-5 years and it will be the same here, it's always said that europe takes over american social shit a few years later
so in a few years eastern europe and east asia will be the dominating hema areas
>>
File: 1606484914704.jpg (32 KB, 446x460)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>9606
Get the fuck out of my /HEMA/ you fucking LARPer. No, your pool sticks aren't swords, also you will never be a woman.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
My country is hot as fuck in summer, anyone knows or have tried these hard leg protections from Superior Fencing?
I can't wear regular hema pants
>>
>>10282
Theres just less people interested in it over here. I've always wanted to get into HEMA but the nearest club to me is over an hour drive away. Really the only locations with HEMA clubs are urban centers, so it doesn't surprise me that other replies mention how people do it for mainly egotistical reasons
>>
>>10425
Look ok but if you need upper leg protection you need to seriously up your squat.
>>
>>10427
Not that anon, but what do you mean about egotistical reasons?
In my case I just like hitting THOSE faggots with a sword and there's nothing else
I hate those fat guys who masturbate themselves talking about the sources like some sort of scared bible
>>
>>10431
Mainly for tornaments and official sparrings we are required to wear full protection (including legs)
Almost never got hit under the waist tho
>>
>>10435
sacred*
>>
>>10435
Since I don't have any real experience with HEMA, I might be talking out of my ass here. I think the main reason that HEMA isn't taken as seriously in the states is because it lacks that cultural and historical connection thats present in Europe. Typically the people that practice it just want to fight with swords because it's fun and looks cool. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's also probably why Americans are seen as substandard in skill.
>>
>>10282
American people are substandard
>t. An American
>>
>>10457
>I think the main reason that HEMA isn't taken as seriously in the states is because it lacks that cultural and historical connection thats present in Europe.
As an american hema fencer and general martial artist the reason it isnt taken as seriously is because the people involved are fucking faggots and nerds who think they dont have to put any effort into actualky becoming profivient. Americas atheletes are simply not interested in fencing. Weirdo athletes like me might be but the majority of the scene is dominated by low functioning autists.
>>
Post gear and swords
>>
>>10521
As a Euro I think this is the real correct take. Heritage isn't much of a real issue, plenty of non-Germans do Meyer and plenty of non-Italians do Fiore, Capo Ferro or any one of the dozen+ other Italians. However European HEMA comes more or less from dissatisfied sport fencers/martial arts guys, whereas in the US HEMA seems to originate among greasy fandom nerds and SCA lardbags. Almost every founder of a club in Europe did a fuckload of fencing or kendo/bujinkan/wushu, whatever was available where they lived, while really being interested in historical Euro martial arts, until the internet allowed them to club together and build a knowledge base.
>>
>>10521
All of this. People with a BMI over 20 should be banned from HEMA.
>>
>>10573
Post body
>>
File: 600px-Gigachad.png (88 KB, 600x321)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>10597
Fat people don't deserve to be in HEMA
>>
There is a club in mi city in which half the dudes are LITERALLY obese
>>
>>10628
Yeah. They're American. If anything, 100% of them should be obese, because all Americans are fat retards who should be culled from humanity.
>>
>>3317
hovering over your image bluescreened my computer fuck you
>>
i'm not interested in swords i'd rather do cool shit like use halberds or some shit in armor in the grass and dirt at a ren fair or some shit and properly get fucked up
>>
>>10552
here swords
>>
>>10573
>People with a BMI over 20 should be banned from HEMA.
you're not even dyel, you're a fucking hungry skeleton
>>
>>11029
>facebook
what?
>>
>>11032
yeah, was a photo from the smith before he shipped them.
>>
>>11029
>>11034
I like the simplicity, who made um?
>>
>>11036
pike armory from russia
they're cheap, indestructible and feel great, I can absolutely recommend them
>>
>>10211
Sparring gloves are touted as one of the gold standards in HEMA gloves but my thumbs routinely slipped out of a pair that otherwise fit perfectly. I modified them by shortening the entire thumb 15mm and somehow it did almost nothing to alleviate it. Hope they fixed this bullshit by now, otherwise I would only recommend SPES.
>>
>>11045

Somehow tie your inner glove to the inside of the thumb. My mittens suffer from the same design flaw, but my 5 finger gloves dont.

The thumb on my 5 finger gloves is tight as fuck, so there's pressure buildup and the thumb doesnt slip.

Sparring Gloves are a gold standard just because there are one or two good alternatives, that's all.
>>
File: IMG_4552[1].jpg (1.16 MB, 1440x1920)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>10211
>>11045
>>11106
How are the Infinity Gloves?
I heard good and bad stuff, but afaik they've been reworked a few times
>>
>>11107

Cheap man's Progauntlet. Total pass for me. Some poor fucks in my school have them. They're HUEG, much easier to score points in a competitive sparring, and the handling isnt better than the 5 finger gloves and the protection isnt better than the mittens.

For hueg gloves I'd get the SPES lobster

They're like lego hands, incredibly ugly,
>>
>>11107
I can't say anything about them but this guy prefers them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD082cb4YE8
>>
>>10561
Ironically I actually went looking into American variations of saber and smallsword to see if we had our own kind of school. What I found was that after the civil war a whole write up was done on how both the northern and southern cavalry never used their damn sabers. The reason being that they for one, didnt train with them and therefore had no confidence, and two the sabers were issued blunt without equipment to sharpen them. For that reason, America really did not have a fencing school of its own. Even when swords were combat relevant we still prefered pistols instead.

So I guess im not shocked that no one of consequence fences in America.
>>
>>10573
based
>>
>>11313
At least you have Daryl Homer for olympic sabre

Some americans like Stephen Cheney and Michael Chidester have made decent contributions on the academic side as well, but I can't speak for either of them as fencers
>>
File: Regenyei.jpg (32 KB, 604x1074)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>10552
The red one is mine,if this general is still up next month I can post my arming sword, sidesword and military sabres which are in transit.
All of 'em Regenyei, almost indestructible.
The sabers are Blackfencer tho (one model 1796 and 1803)

Also which brand make the best rapiers?
>>
File: hemafinalboss.jpg (45 KB, 528x960)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Best gloves for sabre? I see guys with huge gloves and others with really light gloves, Is the red dragon enough?
>>
>>11409
>Is the red dragon enough?
depends on the saber, but afaik they're the standard because there is nothing better that's not bulky as hell
>>
File: VAxxAOZ.jpg (90 KB, 1038x850)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>11409
going by your pic you should probably go for bad dragon
>>
>>11572
We use these at my club
>>
>>11616
ehh, get something better then
infinity gloves apparently are too big but would be your best bet atm other than going straight for mittens or spes heavies
>>
>>11409
>Is the red dragon enough?
for steel sabre, no.
>>
>>11409
Is it enough? Maybe but you really shouldnt skimp out on safety equipment, I know its tempting to spend all your money on swords but when youve got three broken fingers and an broken rib youre going to wish you cared enough to put the money in.
>>
tfw too poor for good insurance for passions.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>11572
>>11628
>>11644
>>11726
What about SG special?
>>
>>3069
I tried to get into it a few years ago but the first time I went to a meetup with a friend I got kicked out because I broke a dude's wrist. :(
>>
>>11801
What did you do?
>>
>>11794
Yes, those will work with sabre, but they are quite big, check if they fit the handle of your sabres.
>>
>>11726
Im also want to know what pair of gloves to buy if I practice mainly saber (steel)
Actually Im using lacrosse gloves, I know I need to buy something better ASAP
Red Dragon? Infinity gloves?
pls halp
>>
>>11823
Red Dragon are Lacrosse gloves rebranded for HEMA, they don't work for Steel. Infinity would work from the protection level, just check that they fit the handle of your sabre, because bulky.
>>
File: large_339_CS92BKHNH.jpg (95 KB, 1158x1156)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>11818

We tried to do our research as best as we could and really tried to be responsible. We contacted the club and asked about attire and weapons. They recommended the Cold Steel Hand-and-a-Half (pic related). We both bought one and spent a few days practicing technique in his back yard so we wouldn't show up looking like total noobs

>Show up to the meetup
>Bunch of weebs and weirdos
>Friend and I instantly realize that we took this too seriously
>First fight
>Ask about rules and get told "they're just plastic swords, they hurt but can't do real damage. Fight like your life depends on it LMAO"
>Uhh.... ok
>First opponent is a lanky neckbeard with dreads with a plastic scimitar(?)
>Fight begins, and this dude runs at me doing some weird spinny bullshit like the dude that gets shot in Raiders of the Lost Ark
>Literally just spinning his sword and lunging at me
>Raise my sword and chop down as hard as I can, hoping to slide my blade along his until I hit the guard, knocking the sword out of his hand
>He flinches and pulls his arm toward his chest
>Instead of striking the guard, my sword hits his wrist with full force, exploding it
>He falls to the ground screaming and calling me a faggot
>Leader of the club calls an ambulance and tells us to leave and never come back because we're "dangerous"

Weird day.
>>
File: 1603741390134.jpg (97 KB, 722x725)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>11845
Nigga what the fuck? What kind of club let noobs spar? Or in your case, encourage to go full force?
You'll be fine without those faggots, just use the hema clubfinder and try with another club
>>
>>11313
>the sabers were issued blunt
lmao

>without equipment to sharpen them
LMAO
>>
>>11400
>Also which brand make the best rapiers?
Balefire, but they'll also cost you twice as much as any other rapier.
>>
>>11409
>pic
Honestly, that freak wouldn't need to unterhaw shit, I'd kill him on sight.
>>
>>11845
This story is absurd enough to be true (Cold Steel blunts?!), but I dearly hope it isn't.
>>
File: 3-4.jpg (1.39 MB, 1920x1439)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
Like 5 guys said the infinity gloves are the best for saber, maybe a bit too big for my taste but I won't buy the fucking progaunlets so I'll bite the bullet
Wish me luck. /HEMA/
>>
>>11888
>>11872

Definitely a true story. It happened in Seattle but I can't remember the name of the club. It seemed sketchy as fuck at the time DESU... maybe I'll give it another shot
>>
File: if-20140251.jpg (219 KB, 1024x1024)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>11107
>>11910
i'm not really a hemafag and i'm just lurking, but whats the point of getting expensive as fuck gloves that mimick gauntlets instead of just getting the real thing?
as with some of the other equipment
>>
>>12003
In HEMA we do something called blossfechten which means unarmored combat, having 30plus kgs in metal armor will turn you kinda slow, also most techniques will be useless because against armor you cannot really use cutting weapons.
>>
>>11998
You did hema a favor by breaking some faggots wrist, hopefully he didn't come back to it so he can't shit it up anymore.
>>
>>11880
Not the guy you replied to but what about castille? Some people swear or even suck dicks for them.
>>
>>11845
lmao based you did the world a favour by disabling that nerd. Probably prevented a future school shooting
>>
>>12008
i see so its not meant to actually mimick any real level of armor but just provide minimum protection needed so you can still fight like you would unarmored
still though i feel like a lot of the art of medieval fighting has been lost since i never see anything of the sort of carefully trying to drive a sword into a crack between the armor, as thats probably what a lot of what sword fighting was until the age of stabbies
and if you didnt have good armor i doubt you would ever spend money on a sword until you atleast got better armor, or atleast until armor itself became obsolete
>>
>>12009
It was really embarrassing but it also kinda made me feel like a Chad for a while. I'm really quiet and unconfrontational in normal life so it felt good to absolutely destroy someone in a combat sport.
>>
>>12020
Modern materials will give you good protection while being light
There is armored combat tho, but that shit is for wealthy dudes, and most of them just bash each other, that's why shit like Battle of Nations is so boring to watch
Having said that I will like to have full armor some day
>>12013
Rapier isn't that good, the gimmick is that you can FULLY customize every part of your sword
It can look really cool but you end spending 3 times the price of a normal sword
>>
>>12028
I meant Castille instead of Rapier***
>>
>>12003
There are some reasons for that but there are times when they can be ignored.
Speaking about tournaments and why they are banned there, some people say that steel plates can pinch and rip either the fencers jacket/pants or skin making it obviously dangerous, they can also have burrs on them which again pose safety concerns, and another valid reason is that it's sometimes impossible to distinguish properly made steel gauntlets from some shit that was made in India or China until someone breaks their hand in them.
A rumored reason why they also might be banned is that some hotshot hema tournament organizer doesn't want it to look like buhurt or some shit like that.

If you aren't talking about tournaments, then your concerns are weight, maintenance and protection. First one is self explanatory, second is you have to check for any burrs, nicks, broken stitches or rivets and you have to oil them which I assume would be a pain in the ass. Lastly most gauntlets are based on historical designs and for example fingertip protection can be lacking.
There has been a hema glove design that incorporated steel though, I believe it was a glove made by comfort fencing, looked junky as shit though.
>>
>>12032
cant all the nicks and shit be fixed with a few hand tools though? if you cant be assed to oil it either then you shouldnt bother with it, but i'm fine with that as i already spend a lot of time finger fucking metal with oily rags every time i take my gun to the range
although i can see why this might not be appealing to most people
>>
>>12029
In that case do you have a recommendation for the most utilitarian rapier with a cup hilt?

I personally don't understand the appeal of purchasing a fancy looking weapon that's meant to be used to hell and back, hema could be so much cheaper if manufacturers didn't masturbate over the addition of minor cosmetic details.
>>
>>12035
Well imagine having to do it when you're tired, for some it's perfectly fine, some get lazy or miss a spot. People are supposed to do these things to their swords as well but I'll be honest, you'll see me with a rusty sword sometimes.
>>
>>12041
Regenyei swords are basic but the steel is strong and really durable
Most of my swords are from them
You want to get this
https://regenyei.com/product/cup-hilt-rapier/#blade-length
>>
>>12048
i imagine you could wait till the day after?
i mean its not that hard to just give it a quick wipe down and then do the detailed work when you're up to it
and it also depends on what you're doing
sure if you're at a ren fair and you're fucking around with your buddies in the dirt and mud of course you'll want to get cleaning it immediately, but if you're just in some gym like place and the metal isnt even coming into contact with any of your skin its going to be fine
>>
>>12035
You must oil your shit after training because your sweat can fuck with the steel and the small parts, after 2 hours of sparring believe me that you just want to sit down and rest
>>12041
>I personally don't understand the appeal of purchasing a fancy looking weapon that's meant to be used to hell and back
In my experience, most of us start with a fairly basic, cheap feder with a "boring" look, after a while you will have the itch to get fancier swords
HEMA is truly a money pit
>>
>>12053
For most people that's exactly the case, I'm a bit lazy as I live in an apartment by the ocean so lots of humidity and salt in the air, we do also train outside mostly in the stereotypical sunshine state heat. So contact with sweaty skin is unavoidable even more so with how much I sweat.
>>
>>12071
ah i see
i'm in kansas so its just dry and arid as fuck
thats to say, when the weather isnt spazzing out as it usually does here
>>
>>12049
Best way to learn sword and shield is to just start doing it
>>
Hey guys, just dropping in from /tg/ to ask a question, I am very new and casual when it comes to HEMA and historical knowledge. I know it's generally historically inaccurate and inconvenient to wear a sheathed sword on one's back with the intent to draw the weapon, so it should only be done for transportation.\

But if, for example, I was animating a fantasy or low fantasy short film and wanted something both stylistic AND historically reasonable, would a longsword user be able to pull something on his sheath's strap or have some sort of custom rig or harness which would loosen the scabbard and cause it to drop to his hip, thus allowing him to perform a normal hip draw in one smooth motion?
>>
>>12089
fuck your sword, get a pike and run at your buddy until one of you manages to drive the point into a nick in the armor and impale the other
>>
>>12103
At least buy him dinner first.
>>
>>12093
You can wear a small shield called buckler over the sheath
>>
>>12032
So, assuming your club allows it, for weekly activities you should get away with steel gauntlets, assuming you're not a full time assisted oxygen retard who can't maintain his tools?
>>12093
Bucklers (small bossed shields) were sometimes tied with string to the sword belt and simply thrown over the shoulder to hang on the back when not in use.
Short of having a good think and designing some kind of original strap system, I don't think there's any historicl precedent for what you're proposing.
Also, with regards to terminology, a scabbard is rigid and usually made of wood or metal, whereas a sheath is flexible and often just a leather sock.
>>
>>12103
Yeah but you can only do that like once
>>
>>12113
pussy
>>
is there any of this stuff that involves the use of any weapon and armored fighting?
i mean like freedom to use a halberd, axe, mace (with limits of course), or a spear?
>>
>>12113
Just find a buddy with wooden legs/arms and you're fine
>>
>>12117
You’d go the SCA route if you’re into that. HEMA is almost exclusively Longsword, rapier, saber and paired buckler.
>>
>>12124
ah thanks
and would sca talk fit into these threads?
>>
>>12117
There are harnischfechten groups that do reconstructive historical armoured combat out there but you'll need the cash for armour if you want to join one.
Alternatively there's SCA/Battle of the Nations shit, but that's not historical and the fencing equivalent of rock 'em sock 'em robots
>>
>>12117
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ILV0wKgAU
>>
>>12131
HEMA guys can harbor a lot of contempt for SCA because many practitioners are high on their own farts concerning historical accuracy. I personally don’t give a fuck because sword and shield is my favorite form of melee fighting and it’s not documented enough in historical manuals to be really “HEMA”
>>
>>12142
lmao they cant march for shit
>>12143
i do really like historical accuracy but no matter what thats hard to get
>>
>>12093
Oh man, I'm probably giving away my million dollar idea here but I wanted to make something physical for a similar purpose, and no I'm not a video game idiot that wants to be like my favorite Geraldino from The Witcherino.
So speaking of longswords, imagine a small square taco that is closely formed to the cross guard, the shilt(thumbguard on a feder, not the grip), and about 3 inches of the blade after the shilt. The sword stays in place mainly due to the material snapping over the cross guard, in theory you can pull the sword up slightly to get the crossguard out then pivot it down to release the blade, cool thing about this approach is you can immediately deliver a diagonal cut from your shoulder.
I kind of just want to do it to see if it'll work and if it will help me carry my swords because my hands are usually too busy with other gear and hip carry is awkward.
>>
>>12142
>front rank charging for horse
for what purpose lmao
>no bodies actually touching in the block
>>
>>12143
My contempt for the SCA is grounded really in 2 things:

1) When I was in college and HEMA was just starting to take off, our local marshals insisted that we promoted the SCA heavy fighting, incessantly, as "the only historically accurate fighting system in the US".

2) Excluding the lower legs as a target. Doesn't matter a lot for longsword or sabre or most things. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING CRITICAL for shield fighting, because the lower shield leg is basically *the* primary target. Excluding the lower leg isn't about "protecting the knee" so much as it is to ensure that tall fat guys can get up on each other and throw wrap shots, and keep actually fucking athletic people from destroying their shield leg and playing the range game. It's totally to protect their pet fighting system, and it's 500% bullshit.
>>
>>12112
It'll depends on the club and how they choose to smell their own farts, I heard some people prefer steel but it could be just bullshit and even if you don't maintain the gauntlets well enough I doubt that most clubs spar at the intensity of the tournaments.
Just one thing to watch out for is again the fingertips, the thumb on steel gauntlets is pretty much like on the original spes heavy lobsters where the top is protected and the sides are more or less open, and there are people with broken thumbs that used spes heavies.
>>
>>12013
Castile swords are absolute shit, look at the guards for fuck's sake, they clearly just stamp that shit out of sheet metal and then fold it to form a guard. As Anon says, they just vastly overcharge you through the trick of "full customization". They also make ahistorically wispy blades which they claim is a good thing because !!!MUH COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE!!! which *actively* shits up the tournament scene with sportification, making it less historical and more like oly. Castile is pure cancer but the shitmasters in this country won't hear it and start bawwing because their terrible entry level rapier is cheap.

>>12003
Steel gaunlets are illegal in any sane club or tournament environment because they're unsafe. Too hard and jagged if someone takes a fall on them, or if some >>11845-tier psycho gets overexcited and throws a punch with one.

>>12020
This is the worst post I have ever seen.
>i feel like a lot of the art of medieval fighting has been lost since i never see anything of the sort of carefully trying to drive a sword into a crack between the armor
It isn't lost, dufus, all that shit is right there in the manuals. It's just not practiced much because A, most people can't afford/don't want to buy a full suit of armor for harnischfechten, and B, you by definition can't spar it safely because the whole point of the techniques is to pry yourself past the extensive protective gear to hurt somebody.

>if you didnt have good armor i doubt you would ever spend money on a sword until you atleast got better armor, or atleast until armor itself became obsolete
Are you retarded? A suit of plate armor cost more than a house, a sword was the equivalent of a couple hundo. Anybody could own a sword and city people often did.
>>
>>12041
The Bellatore basic rapier is cheap and good. bellatore.red

>>12051
Regenyei is a good guy but his rapiers specifically are fucked. Too stiff, tiny tip, proportions all wrong. Do not buy.
>>
Can I use a sidesword as a rapier?
Legit question pls no bully
>>
>>12275
>It isn't lost, dufus
sorry, not exactly my quote, just what random hema spergs try to cite so i just assumed it, and i know why those techniques arent done, you dont need to tell me why shoving a knife into an unprotected part of your buddy is a bad idea
>Are you retarded? A suit of plate armor cost more than a house, a sword was the equivalent of a couple hundo. Anybody could own a sword and city people often did.
all the more reason to set aside sword money for good armor, thats to say if you were a soldier, but you're right i imagine city folk would rather a sword, but theres a difference between personal defense and being a soldier
i'd rather be a pikeman with good armor than a swordman with little protection if my lord shoved me out into a field against another army
and when i say armor i dont just mean plate
of course not everyone who owned swords had plate armor, but you can still use sword money for a better helmet, proper gauntlets, kneepads or elbow pads
or hell even just better fucking boots
all that is expensive and so are swords
>>
>>12131
Absolutely not. SCA heavy is a bunch of panting obeasts flailing around with no historical basis.
>>
>>12303
so what if i'm not a panting obeast flailing around with no historical basis
>>
>>12279
What are you? An experienced rapist?
>>
>>12285
Most people/places won't allow that because it's too choppy and rapier people tend to go light on the protective gear, especially gloves. You can really blow a guy's hands off if you start hacking like an asshole with a sidesword mid-rapier-fencing.

And if you don't cut, you're plain fucked, because now you have a shorter, heavier, slower sword that you can't use to advantage and have to thrust with. That's actually an interesting challenge, but in terms of equal pairings or standardized use, it's no good. Plus, in order to try this your opponent needs to trust that you have the self control not to sperg out and start chopping into any opening you get, and for that to happen you need to actually have that self control, which *shouldn't be* at all hard, but looking at some of these niggers we get in this martial art is apparently an insurmountable problem for a sizable fraction of retards.
>>
>>12305
Ostracization by association
>>
>>12305
Then you too will become sick of SCA Heavy within months of starting it, like this man: >>12162

>>12311
I'm rapier than you, maybe the rapiest. But I'm not your therapist.
>>
>>12301
Not that anon you were replying to, but in regards to
>i'd rather be a pikeman with good armor than a swordman with little protection if my lord shoved me out into a field against another army
it's worth mentioning in a thread like this that by the time of 17th century pike and shot the pike was considered a "gentlemanly" weapon, as opposed to the arquebus, which itself was considered a mechanical tool more than a classical "weapon" as such, and often given to working men familiar with the mechanics of the day.
You might not have had much if any choice in what you were outfitted with in war time, depending on your profession/class.
>>
>>12315
>>12319
alright well i think i'll just stick to hema
but until i actually decide to stop being a poorfag and can afford shit i'll probably just stick to dumb random shit i find online and cardboard armor and beating the shit out of my friend with it
>>
>>12331
>You might not have had much if any choice in what you were outfitted with in war time, depending on your profession/class.
of course i wouldnt, but they sure as hell wouldn't have given a peasant a fucking sword when a polearm is cheaper and more effective
>>
>>12331
>working men familiar with the mechanics of the day
who in the hell knew mechanics in the working class
filling a tube full of powder and a lead ball and lighting it with a match isnt exactly mechanical, any peasant could do that with training
and fucking mechanics? what, your local miller knows how to maintain his water wheel so now he's a fucking expert on firearms?
>>
>>12334
>they sure as hell wouldn't have given a peasant a fucking sword when a polearm is cheaper and more effective
That's very situational to be fair and not always the case throughout history, but I know what you're getting at. Again, not the anon you were having the original argument with, just thought the class angle bore mentioning in general
>>
>>12341
>who in the hell knew mechanics in the working class
>your local miller knows how to maintain his water wheel
Could you have made a more self defeating post?
>>
>>12343
you're right but when i was talking i was thinking of more of the late medieval to early renaissance rather than the 1600s, where they would've been a lot more common
>>
>>12347
thats not what i meant
i meant the mechanical knowledge you'd need to know for how a well designed firearm worked isnt the same as the mechanical knowledge a miller knows
i'd say it really wouldn't be hard to teach any peasant how the mechanical dealings worked, medieval people really arent dumb, just poor
>>
>>12159
>for what purpose lmao
to demonstrate their autism
>>
>>11845
Im the guy who posted how autistic and stupid American HEMA was earlier in the thread. With that knowledge I know for a fact this shit didnt happen. American HEMA is autistic about safety precautions not the other way around. next time write a story about how they wanted to bubble wrap themselves before a fight and wear full gear during drilling just in case.
>>
>>12008
>blossfechten which means unarmored combat
>>12008
it sounds cooler translated literally as blood fencing
>>
>>12013
I bought an economy saber from castille. After a single day of hard sparring the nut holding the grip in became stripped and unable hold the saber together. However, I emailed castille about it and within a few days they sent me a new one for free. Since then Ive had no issues.

Take that as you will. my impression is that their cheap shit is cheap, but they realize this and genuinely care about keeping their customers using their products.
>>
>>12275
>They also make ahistorically wispy blades which they claim is a good thing because !!!MUH COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE!!! which *actively* shits up the tournament scene with sportification, making it less historical and more like oly
believe it or not a lot of swords were probably lighter than you realize. the kind of thing you carry on you everyday was usually only about 2lbs max whereas the battle swords were generally heavier
>>
>>12407
>every single American HEMA club across the entire country is absolutely identical
>>
>>12410
Bro....... your grasp of German is just awful. Bloß means bare, not blood. Blood is "Blut".
>>
>>12418
that has been my experience, yes
>>
>>12417
Lad I GUARANTEE that I've handled more period, museum pieces than you have.

Are you even aware that historical rapier blades are typically 8-10 mm thick at the forte? The 6 mm standard is just some inherited HEMA thing most people don't reflect on, or maybe something to do with readily available stock gauges.
>>
>>12422
>>12422
I wasnt talking about rapiers but sabers since thats what I have experience in. Ill take your word for it.
>>
>>12060
ugh, that pic... pure hema black should be banned
>>
>>12421
Then you're a faggot. Don't come back to these threads.
>>
>>12424
Oh, I see. Well, we were talking about who makes good rapiers in this case. I don't know anything about Castile's sabers, but I'm primed to dislike their work.
>>
>>12421
>>12418
Most all HEMA Alliance clubs will be pretty similar, that's true. They have a governing body, and a set of bylaws that you have to follow, because if you don't you can't use their group liability insurance. And for the Euros out there, if you don't have liability insurance, acquiring a location to practice is pretty much impossible here.

With that said, even HEMA Alliance estimates that no more than 2/3rds of the US clubs fall under their umbrella. Which means that there's going to be a large number (probably in the high dozens or low hundreds) of clubs that don't have to use HEMA Alliance's retarded bylaws.

All of which means that >>12430 has the right idea. Get out and don't come back. You're just in these threads to be mad and stir shit, and you can fuck yourself and die over it.
>>
>>12432
>You're just in these threads to be mad and stir shit,
listen asshole I cant yell at the faggits in the club to shut the fuck up and drill but I can complain about it here. Yeah there very well might be 100 unaffiliated clubs in America but we're talking about an enourmous landmass so go ahead and tell me I ought to be driving out of state to a club that MIGHT have less faggots in it but probably actually had more
>>
>>12432
>Get out and don't come back.
NAYRT but you know how imageboards work, right? You're pissing in the wind here.
>>
>>12435
>I cant yell at the faggits in the club to shut the fuck up and dril
Yes you can. You just don't want to be on the hook for the consequences for doing so. Which means not only are you an asshole, but you're a fucking coward without the courage of your convictions.

What a shitty person you are.
>>
>>12440
>explode every grievance you have in public or else youre a coward
I remember being 16 too lol.
>>
>>12443
Man up and accept the consequences of your own attitudes, coward.
>>
>>12439
He doesnt. its just some fucking discord tranny or redditor
>>
>>12444
post a picture of your face, your club name, and your full name coward
>>
>You won't risk losing club access and potentially assault from sperging out in public?
>Heh... *tips* coward
>>
>>12447
Why? I don't have the shit attitude you do, and I don't have a problem with my local club. They're pretty bro.

You're the one with the problem. You're the one who needs to act like a man instead of some bitchy woman that has to go behind everyone else's back to complain. Fuck off, go air your shit at your club, and take the consequences like a man.

Unless you're so afraid of the consequences that you'd rather be a coward, of course.
>>
>>12451
>I don't have the shit attitude you do
thats exactly the point you fucking retard. you think and act exactly like everyone else around you then act like your brave for doing so demanding those with differences out themselves in public and face consequences youll never risk. you do use 4chan though which makes you abnormal in and of itself. post your name, bitch boy
>>
>>12452
>demanding those with differences out themselves in public and face consequences youll never risk.
Couldn't possibly be your views are so abhorrent that you know you're going to be ostracized for airing them, could it?
>>
>>12453
>Couldn't possibly be your views are so abhorrent
lol, you have to go back
>>
Are we counting greco-roman wrestling (no, not that kind, you fag) and the like as HEMA or should that have a separate general?
>>
>>12455
I would count both kinds as HEMA but unless you are specifically talking about how it was practiced historically it may be better to make a separate general. For example, modern boxing is not HEMA but old school pugilism is so that would belong here.
>>
>>12452
>not the dude you're arguing with
If your views are so off from the people around you that you're afraid of the consequences for airing them, you either deserve those consequences, or you need to quit hanging around the people different than you anyway. Your views are going to get out eventually, or they're going to guess them. It's a foregone conclusion that they're going to find out, so why waste your time with a group of people who you disagree so hard with? Mate, seriously, hanging with people with a massive values mismatch is terrible for you. You need to find another way to HEMA, or do something else.

I'm not going to call you a coward for being afraid of social consequences, but I am going to call you a fucking fool for willingly putting yourself in a position where you're forcing yourself to be around people who wouldn't like you if they knew you. Whether your views are wrong, or their views are wrong, I don't care. You need to not be there, and if you're the sole minority viewpoint, then you'd best get out on your own terms before you're forced out.
>>
>>12455
It does have a living tradition, or am I mistaking it for something else?
Because I'd say that's HEMA then.
Gladiator or Roman stuff would be HEMA too if we had any manuals about how they fought individually (atm it's basically just making shit up like viking combat).

It probably also fits into the Martial Arts general
>>
>>12462
tl;dr youre a hypocritical faggot
>>
>>12454
Yeah you're a shitty person then. Nobody gets this defensive without realizing that they're the ones who are wrong. Coward.
>>
>>12435
You ought to be driving out of state to a club that is 100% certain to have less faggots. How can I tell? Because you haven't joined that other club yet.

Jesus, nobody gets asshurt like racist west-coasters.
>>
>>12435
>I cant yell at the faggits in the club to shut the fuck up and drill
are you the instructor or head of the club? if yes, then you can.
if not you either need to find like-minded people who you can train properly with or look for another club (or start your own)
>>
>>12468
>make a retarded post
>NOOO STOP TELLING ME IM RETARDED ITS JUST CUZ YOU KNOW YOURE WRONG
>>12472
>m-muh racism
lol, please tell me how im racist for wanting to train without distraction. this kind of shit is how i know youre not from this board
>>12474
the latter, however people in this thread are missing a key point. I like my instructor. I like my club, and I like a lot of the people I work with. I dislike a select few and I am frustrated with my instructor for not giving them a heavier push to either shut the fuck up or get out. Thats why I air my grievances here for the sake of pressure release.
>>
>>12477
>I dislike a select few and I am frustrated with my instructor for not giving them a heavier push
fuck that sucks.
I also like my club and the people there but if a few retards start shitting up the club and stifling training I'd probably still get out eventually.
the instructor NEEDS to kick these retards from the club, otherwise it will stagnate.

maybe just ask your instructor if he's happy with training and progress or that you're not content with the way training slowed down.
just suffering through it isn't a solution if you ask me
>>
>>12486
>maybe just ask your instructor if he's happy with training and progress or that you're not content with the way training slowed down.
that's the problem, he wants to cater to retards instead of competitors for reasons I don't understand. He simultaneously thanked me last winter for being the only one to show up to a class and also because I, in his word, practiced twice as much individually than he could teach in a group. I mentioned earlier in the thread he almost made it to the olympics. he knows how to fucking push. But he wont push anyone that needs it only those who want it. the consequence of this is that our weakest members become the standard of classwork.

dont get me wrong, I dont want to kick out newbies or people who need help. However, sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is make them work harder. He wont make them work. He'll only ask them.
>>
>>12449
I'm sorry but you committed one of the classic blunders here. What the fuck is that pic?
>>
>>12495
Sounds like you need to find a new club or learn to suck it up
>>
>>12495
>>12477
Why are you even having practices with covid going on? My club and every club within 2 hours drive (I'm in the Kentucky/Tenessee/Indiana/Ohio region) has been shut down since October, and nobody is looking to start back up again until June-ish.
>>
>>12500
I found it in a random image generator. Your guess is as good as mine.
>>
>>12503
>find a new club
not really an option
>learn to suck it up
oh believe me baby I am metaphorically speaking sucking the fat feminine cock of trannies every day of my life. The consequence of that though is sometimes I need to yell FAGGOT on 4chan
>>
>>12455
Greco-Roman isn't actually ancient, lad, it's a modernish form of wrestling that isn't very similar to the styles of ancient Greece and Rome. It's Napoleonic-era at the latest IIRC, and with stuff like that it tends not to be incorporated into HEMA if it has a living tradition (as Greco-Roman does).
>>
>>12495
>I dont want to kick out newbies or people who need help
never thought that, for me it sounds like there are a few people in your club who don't want to train actively and drag down the whole group.

maybe ask him to add "tournament/competition" classes at least once a week where only active tournament fencers are allowed? (obviously time and space need to be available for that)
>>
>>12495
>muh competition
Here's where you lost me, lad. I sympathized with you having to put up with trannies and people who won't put in the work, but if you're a tournamentfag youc an fuck off. You should be working on becoming martially sound, not on winning sportified bingbingwahoos.
>>
>>12505
my coach is a liberal autismo but as a consequence he's convinced paper is basically a gas mask and as long as you wear it everyone will be fine. it made more sense in the summer when we were training outside in the park (very fun in its own right) but doesnt really now that we're indoors and cant stay the government mandated 6 feet apart.
>>12509
pre-corona we had an advanced class that was like that. Nowadays we dont since only a few people myself included are coming to class. We have a kdf workshop on what was the advanced day to sort of experiment not only with longsword which is our bread and butter but also other weird german shit.
>but if you're a tournamentfag youc an fuck off. You should be working on becoming martially sound, not on winning sportified bingbingwahoos.
I accept your criticism on the basis that I misspoke. competition is not the most important thing. However, the people who do good in competition are, in general, the people who care about becoming martially sound as you put it. History first, just like in the acronym
>>
>>12509
>maybe ask him to add "tournament/competition" classes at least once a week where only active tournament fencers are allowed?
This is a good fucking idea.

Like it or not, a lot of HEMA people aren't ever going to be and don't want to be competition athletes, but still want to learn about swords. My club (>>12505 here) has a dude in his early 40s as the lead instructor; the guy's former Ranger Rgt, currently a professional stage fight director and got into HEMA because he wanted to make the stage fights more realistic. He's broken pretty badly from his time in the Army, and he's literally never ever going to be able to seriously win competitions, so his classes are pretty chill. He knows *tons*, and while the classes are low intensity they're high in content. But the younger guys in the class who didn't care about recreating sword arts and who just wanted to hit people and win things demanded (and got) an extra class that's purely intended to teach people how to win tournaments. Best of both worlds.

>unfortunately we only had those classes for about 9 months before Covid hit and shut down everything, but it's the thought that counts
>>
>>12512
Okay, back to sympathy.
>However, the people who do good in competition are, in general, the people who care about becoming martially sound as you put it.
Not my experience, just lots of overcompetitive homos opting their gear and gaming the rules with shit like suicide charges until they get a one-point lead. Still, can't blame you for optimism and if it's actually like that in your area I can only congratulate you.
>>
>>12512
>pre-corona we had an advanced class that was like that
I'd say just suffer through for the moment and hope it goes back to normal after covid.
otherwise I really think you should either look for other clubs or speak to your instructor about how you feel regarding training progress.

(also I'm not the "fuck competitions" anon, I think they're a great way to test your fencing outside of your club in a proper stress situation, also getting far in tournaments is a great feeling)
>>
>>12517
>Still, can't blame you for optimism and if it's actually like that in your area I can only congratulate you.
almost everyone in my area is wearing spes and using regenyeis. Are you a euro by chance?
>>
>>12517
>gaming the rules with shit like suicide charges until they get a one-point lead
FUCK THESE BASTARDS!
tournaments are great fun, but damn I hate egomaniacs who only care about winning
>>
>>12518
>I'm not the "fuck competitions" anon
It's not "fuck competitions".

It's "fuck Win At All Costs Tryhards", which competitions attract.

As you say, competitions are great stress-tests. But holy fuck do they attract the worst sort of WAACfags and the people who could care less about history and the recreation of sword arts, and who just want to win something (and probably see HEMA as something they can win easily at since so many participants aren't serious athletes).
>>
>>12514
>Like it or not, a lot of HEMA people aren't ever going to be and don't want to be competition athletes
They shouldn't be in HEMA then
>>
>>12525
this, but with a caveat. if you want to be a fat unathletic retard who only reads the manuals and disseminates that info to the public thats fine. If you're going to teach people how to fucking fight you absolute MUST not be a fat unathletic retard. It wasn't obese men who were winning sword fights. Too much target area.
>>
>>12525
That's like try telling all the niggers harlem to put their basketballs away because they'll never be in the NBA. See how much progress you make with that.
>>
>>12532
trying to tell all the niggers in harlem*
damned if I know what happened there
>>
>>12533
>damned if I know what happened there
you drank too much vodka again, vlad
>>
>>12531
I'm always impressed at how there's absolutely no possible body types in between "hyperfit distance runner" and "criminally obese lardass". If you aren't one, then by definition you must be the other.
>>
>>12547
When HEMAutsists stop being so criminally obese I will stop making fun of them for it
>>
>>12547
in general or in the us?
because it wouldn't surprise me there, a land of extremes.
but in europe it develops in the same direction, either you're super fit and care about your body or you've given up and go full bloatmaxxx
>>
File: dussack and stuff.png (1.11 MB, 1068x664)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>12554
Stop generalizing, we're autists, trannies, larpers and homosexuals but we're NOT OBESE!
>>
>>12547
It's just tards being tards.

My coach (as above) is a former Ranger who's badly fucked up. Artificial right knee and ankle, and IIRC a bunch of metal reinforcement along all the long bones in both legs. So he's not doing a ton of cardio, and he's got little to no explosive footwork. He can instruct it, and demo a few times, but doing so in a sustained way in matches isn't a thing for him. Guy's about 5' 10 and was probably about a shade under 200 last we practiced. So not thin, but not obese. I'd say he's probably about average build for people doing HEMA. We did see actually obese people try to play, but they go away pretty quickly.

>I'm leaving myself out mostly because I've put on 25lbs over the pandemic, mostly from drinking. HEMA was how I was keeping myself in shape.
>>
File: food addict.png (503 KB, 904x648)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
>>12559
Have you checked on skallagrim lately? the more into HEMA he's gotten the more obese he's become.
>>
>>12559
>>12566
also I had totally forgot he tried to do asmr for a bit LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxU3AJ6UGk
>>
>>12566
>skallagrim
Please don't remind me that this guy is mostly the face of Youtube HEMA...
Matt Easten at least knows his shit, trains properly and is not a fucking furry
>>
File: Stop being American.png (1.46 MB, 1068x664)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>12559
If your BMI is over 12 then you're obese
>>
>>12573
>If your BMI is over 12 then you're obese
kek
but are you seriously calling that lanky skellington in the background fat?
>>
File: lol.png (522 KB, 1137x3922)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>12572
Dont you dare insult our pansexual cuckhold overlord!
>>
>>12575
>but are you seriously calling that lanky skellington in the background fat?
Yes.
>>
>>12577
Oh fucking hell no no NO
>>
>>12525
Bait
>>
>>12577
fuck, I need bleach for my eyes
>>
>>12547
It's just an exaggeration of a real tendency for HEMAfags to either be in decentish shape or completely swollen nurgloid subhumans. Plus, you have to remember that the nerd level of HEMA means that "athletic" has a pretty wide definition, let's say a generous lower bound. Most people who say athletic in this hobby don't mean an Olympian or peak Arnold, just someone who can fight for ten minutes without sounding like a steam locomotive.
>>
>>12585
HEMA is a sport. The only purpose of a sport is to win. If you aren't going to do what's necessary to win, then you shouldn't be playing. People unwilling to be competition athletes don't have any place in an athletic competition.
>>
>>12519
>Are you a euro by chance?
No, but I'm not primarily a longsword fencer which probably makes a difference. You admittedly do seem to have fewer fourth-rate epeeists who see an open field to shit up and pretend to be competent in than we do in rapier.
>>
>>12521
Yep, this is it.
t. That Anon
>>
>>12590
>Most people who say athletic in this hobby don't mean an Olympian or peak Arnold, just someone who can fight for ten minutes without sounding like a steam locomotive.
Fucking this. We do occasionally birthday bear pits at our club. 26 straight bouts (each bout is best of 3 hits) with no breaks between bouts, and you'd better believe I was gasping. We've got a 38 year old and I don't even know how he lived through his. Neither of us are in great shape, but we at least gave a good accounting of ourselves and for the first 10-15 minutes of fighting we were doing ok.
>>
>>12575
He's either baiting or Eastern European. By e.g. Hungarian standards everone in that picture is fat.
>>
File: Easton.jpg (7 KB, 368x270)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>12572
It would have been nice to get through 1 thread without mentioning the likes jewtube e-celebs
>and is not a fucking furry
No, he's a self hating pussy who literally calls the police over mean youtube comments instead lol
>>
>>12592
>HEMA is a sport. The only purpose of a sport is to win.
cancerous take. HEMA is a historical martial art. The goal first and foremost should be the preservation of historical arts and second keeping them honest as a combative system. Third is getting good at competition which is a good form of training but not the goal. lose sightof the goal and you start metagaming. start metagaming and you turn into sport fencing.
>>
>>12577
I can't even tell if this creature is a man or a woman, but I can tell it's terrible.
>>
>>12601
>he's a self hating pussy who literally calls the police over mean youtube comments
what the fuck??
>>
>>12592
Bait
>>
>>12601
>>12606
gonna need an elaboration on this as well. making fun of skall is one of my hobbies
>>
File: the chad.jpg (201 KB, 2518x1024)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>12593
>No, but I'm not primarily a longsword fencer which probably makes a difference
Thats what you get for being a BITCH who doesnt fight with a REAL MANS sword. Longer means better just like with COCKS
>>
>>12606
>>12612
I don't know if I have the screencap anymore, but there was some schizo shitposting in his comments of one of his unnecessary, off-topic videos about ebil white people and their historical accounts of foreign warfare or some shit and him replying, calling the guy a nazi and saying he's reported the posts to the police. What a queer.
I'll post the screencap before the thread drops if I can find it.
>>
>>12617
>I'll post the screencap before the thread drops if I can find it.
thank you based autist. the rest is probably bullshit but I believe it because easton is a retard who actively participates in FAR
>>
>>12623
>>12620
>>
>>12617
>Longer means better just like with COCKS
So rapier is better than longsword, then.
>>
>>12629
>always_has_been.jpeg
>>
>>12623
I think I've got another screencap of a similar situation going on where he's crying nazi but I can only find this one
>>
>>12658
holy shit I really wanted to green text my favorite part but I really cant with such a based comment. I am laughing hyterically while easton shits his pants and calls the cops because he saw a guy not sucking muslim cock
>>
>>12658
holy fuck, that's incredible
>>
>>12462
>Stop doing the hobby you enjoy because you have different views and opinions from people at your club
>You're a fool and a coward because you won't shit where you eat
This is why people say "keep politics out of X", even if it's also used by /pol/tards to act like subhumans in their own HEMA circles and get away with it
Why can't people just shut the fuck up and train? That's what normal people in the hobby are actually concerned with, while /pol/mutants cry about trannies and leftymutants cry about neo-nazis, both throwing shit at each other like monkeys convinced that their worldviews are infallible.
>>
NEW THREAD: >>12693

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.