[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Mountain Biking is extreme.
Road biking is not.
That is all.
>>
>he's never been hit by a car
>>
>>2773
>he's never been hit by a redwood
>>
>>2787
How you gonna get hit by a tree, dummy? They sit in one place always every day. Just ride around it, lol. Or do you have ent problems in your local trails?
>>
please get this back to >>>/n/ ktnx.
>>
>>2802
Read the sticky, bub.
>>
>>2802
kys
>>
I'm glad this channel was created because /n/ is full of poorfag commuters who ride bikes they literally pull out of the trash and fix up with aliexpress components. Not knocking them but "transportation" really is what that thread is for because many of those guys just see bikes as transportation.

Also I ride mtb, road, and gravel. They're all fun to me. I'm going to Joaquin Miller Park tomorrow morning. If any of you guys ride there, say hi.
>>
>>2832
Is that your bike? I'm going to holler at you, something along the lines of "THAT GUY IS A PEDO!"
Enjoy your ride
>>
>>2848
Please do it, and yes it is my bike. I wear a burgundy full face helmet with matching burgundy goggles. I think I'll wear my hi-viz jacket tomorrow.
>>
>>2765
>descending a tight mountain road on 25 mm tires at 100 km/h+ with rimbrakes isn't extreme
>>
>>2832
>/n/ is full of poorfag commuters who ride bikes they literally pull out of the trash and fix up with aliexpress components
Sounds based.
Underbiking is for true chads.
>>
>>2832
are you still going? It rained a fair amount last night.
>>
>>4943
yeah, planning to be there at 9am. It's colder than I thought so I'm wearing bright orange FOX pants. JMP drains well so I'm not expecting it to be horrible to ride
>>
>>4952
I'll be riding Big Trees and Sunset-Bayview the most today. Friend got a new bike and is on a time limit so I'm trying to keep him off CInderella
>>
>>4952
Ah okay. I'm completely unfamiliar with trail etiquette, and I don't want to ruin the trails. I recently tried ascending eagles nest trail around tilden and it sucked ass. Any tips for assessing the conditions/when it's okay to ride?
>>
Any other fatbike chads here? How's your winter going? My snow turned into slippery ice on top of powder, awful for biking
>>
I go MTB in Florida, the scenery is nice but obviously we have trouble with not very many hills. It's a fun way to stay active.
>>
>>2773

You deserve it
>>
>>5003
Just go a week after it rains. If the park is forest and shaded, then most of it should have dried out but parts will still be mushy. JMP was definitely too muddy when I was there and we may be going again this weekend. I went there a week after it rained and it was mostly good to ride on except two spots were mushy and the pump track was too soft.

If a park has a lot of traffic from people or animals, then the trails will be in worse condition. We're in East Bay so most of the hillsides here are grass rather than tree covered so those specific parts should be drying out faster
>>
File: 2621115762.jpg (463 KB, 2048x1154)
463 KB
463 KB JPG
I really wish my state had more MTB exclusive tracks. Love my bike, but all the trails within 100 miles from me are shared/multipurpose trails so you can't get too far on your bike without being yelled by boomers with fanny packs
>>
>>4882
>Underbiking is for true chads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrlEE9AV58
>>
>>4882
They're not mountain biking with them. They're just getting to work.
>>
Has mountain biking migrated here?
Also fuck covid my bike hasnt had a drivetrain for weeks now.
>>
File: your a big guy.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
oh god damn you guys i love mountain biking, i just got into it last summer. SUPER EXCITED TO START UP. i have done a few big ladder drops and i enjoy mountain biking but i am a bigger guy so its super tough to climb the hills that are designated as "black" areas or whatever. but i did it a lot last summer and i loved going down the hills theres one called bobsled and once you do this massive climb over this iron shale rock giant fucking hill / mountain thing you go down these winding trials that weave back and forth and its so fun i wish i had mountain biking friends im so fat and gained 50 pounds since winter started help me i want to mountain bike so bad again i spent 2 grand on my whole mountain biking setup and i did it so much this summer i broke the chain changing part of the bike and now it will skip into different gears sometimes and its very dangerous when im riding and it fucking slips and then i fucking fall and crash into a god damn tree or fall down a big hill LOL ive smacked my head on a tree going quite fast once THANK GOD i had my helmet on.

if any of you know about this place, i go to CUYUNA MINNESOTA mountain biking trails. miles and miles and hours of hours of fun and i helped make some of the trails with the volunteers last year and they keep making new trails!!!!
>>
>>8850
This makes me incredibly happy. Keep at it anon and if you're ever out in big sky MT come find me we'll run a few laps
>>
>>8850
also when people saw how well i handled my bike they couldnt believe i was a year 1 fresh mountain biker but this is because i was in BMX as a child and i had a redline super light bike was very fun but all i enjoy now is going out in the forest and woods and grinding those hills and working hard so i can enjoy the downhill slopes and jumps and stuff LOL i did a ladder drop that was super deep once and you should NOT do them with a bike that only has partial shock resistance on one side of the bike and (its probably because im fat ) i landed and it felt fucking harddddd but i kept going and then it lead into a bunch of bigggg table tops and i went flying and idk how to control myself in the air so i fucking flew and just landed on the next table top and smacked my whole body into the fucking tabletop LOL it was fun but i just love the thrill of knowing i could break every bone in my body and i just full send it no matter the cost. safe to say that at first i was going crazy but after smacking and falling a few times i stopped going ham on the jumps and came up to approaches slower because i did not enjoy getting hurt all the time but also i enjoy getting hurt because its like YEAAH DUUUDE FUCKK
>>
File: p5pb19325709.jpg (405 KB, 1024x577)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
>>8856
A lot of the bike control you practice on a small bike translate really well to an mtb. Just look how many pros used to ride BMX. Aaron Gwin used to be an amazing BMXer. I'm thinking of getting a dirt jumper for this reason.
>>
>>8905
Also, if any of you guys ride around Issaquah WA say hi
>>
>>2765
> Road biking is not.
Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of bombing down hills at 70km/h.

But real talk, road biking is great for your cycling fitness and riding your MTB fast.
>>
>>5003
>I'm completely unfamiliar with trail etiquette, and I don't want to ruin the trails

My approach to riding in the rain or just after is ride it unless it is a manicured jump line or flow trial. Everything else fair game.
>>
>>2765
maybe not but driving next to road bikers is extreme
>>
>>8850
>>8856
I may just see you out there sometime, fren. Currently in Minneapolis, and have been wanting somewhere to go mountain biking. Come September, I'll have a car and I'll be able to.
>>
File: PANO_20200709_140020.vr.jpg (522 KB, 3007x1008)
522 KB
522 KB JPG
buzzing for the upcoming seasons
>>
>>2765
What do we call cyclocross then?
>>
>>2765
I just want to say that I hate you all for having decent conditions to ride in.
Here we have 4-5 ft of snow right now.
>>
Here in Scotland it's been pretty wet recently, but looks like the weather is getting better. Can't wait to start riding again!
>>
>>9886
gay
>>
dj bike is love
>>
File: np.jpg (623 KB, 1673x941)
623 KB
623 KB JPG
>>8811
Ay another Nukeproof bro :D
>>
>>2765
Riding a roadbike on mtb trails is probably the most extreme.
>technical climbs in 34:28
>on 25 mm tires
>descending with caliper brakes and road geo
>no suspension whatsoever
>>
i heard seasoned bmxers make for great mtb'ers and automatically have style when they hit the trails, ya?

also you can spot a bmxer at the trails cuase they wont be wearing spandex
>>
File: 1481594480249.gif (2.91 MB, 320x180)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB GIF
I've recently been introduced to mountain biking through a family friend. Was lent a bike and have gone twice now - it's got grinds, respites, thrills, everything. The biggest barrier to entry is probably just getting a bike myself.

Are all mountain bikes essentially the same or can they cater to different needs? What bikes did you guys get and what did they cost?
>>
>>13574
MTBs definitely vary greatly depending on what you want to do on the bike. Jumps, downhill, cross country, etc. Most people would do well with an entry level trail hardtail. It really depends on terrain and budget. Just don't buy from walmart or any other department store like that.
>>
>>13018
>also you can spot a bmxer at the trails cuase they wont be wearing spandex

Any MTBer who cares about comfort when riding and their balls/ass not getting rubbed raw are wearing spandex under their shorts.
>>
>>13574
It's a huge spectrum, XC is pretty much like road biking, but on dirt with some bumps, but it's mostly a grind, just like road.
Then you have trail/enduro, which is actually fun and engaging, while still keeping the grind to some degree, so good for fitness, but you get some action with some jumps and drops and techy downhill sections, of course depending on your own skills.
Then we have freeride and downhill, which is very very fun, but takes a lot of skill and has a much higher risk of injuries, and while both require good fitness, they aren't good for actually building any fitness by themselves.

The steeper, faster and bumpier it is going down, then slack headtube angles and longer travel really start making a lot of sense.
Opposite for the more grindy types of riding, which also involves more being on the receiving end of anal sex, much like road biking.
>>
>>13574
There are several different types of bikes and riding styles.
Cross Country(XC) riding and bikes are for climbing fast and being fast on the flat. These bikes are built to be lightweight which makes the frames and handling unsuitable for the stress of riding down rough terrain where you'll be hitting roots, rocks, and getting in jumps. They also have weaker/lighter brakes and narrower tires.
There is a new category people have been calling "downcountry" where the bikes are built lightweight like XC bikes but the frame design(geometry) resembles that of something built for high speed descents on rough terrain. So these bikes are great at climbing and hitting rough descents where you're not getting much air time or going really fast so they have less suspension travel.

Trail bikes are built to be equally suited at climbing as they are are at descending. The frames are tougher, heavier and they have more suspension travel, they're not the best at climbing or descending but they're good enough for most riders hitting their local trails. Brakes get stronger and tires get a little wider and knobbier as you go down the list

Enduro/Freeride bikes are like trail bikes only everything is beefer and the added weight and angle of the front fork makes it better at handling rough descents at high speed but worse at climbing. These bikes can still climb everything an XC and Trail bike can but they just do it slower.

Downhill bikes are heavy, beefy, and can't climb. Often they won't even have the gears for climbing because why even bother. Their sole purpose is to go down everything, do it fast, and survive frequent jumps. Only get one of these if you go to bike parks a lot where you can take a ski lift or a shuttle to the top of a mountain because you won't be climbing.

This list is more of a spectrum rather than strict categories, many bikes fall in between classifications or mix it up.
>>
Road biking CAN be extreme, but only when those spandex wearing faggots decide to bike on the 65mph highway and ignore their own fucking lane and start getting in the middle of the fucking road, wherein I like to see exactly how close I can avoid them while throwing a handful of change out the passenger window at them
>>
File: bikechad3.png (938 KB, 890x800)
938 KB
938 KB PNG
>>14450
Why are you seething so much at road cyclists? I ride mtb, gravel, and road. Every time I ride my motorcycle up in the canyons, I just wave at the cyclists doing the intense climbs then I pass them. If you weren't such a faggot cager with a coke can up his ass, you wouldn't be so upset at the mere thought of people having more fun than you
>>
>>2765
Yes
>>2801
>he’s too slow to know
That’s why road bikers will never be extreme, just extreme pussies
>>
>>12965
Ah yes, I love denting the fuck out of my rims as well!
>>
>>2765
>Can't draft 3 inches behind the rider in front of you at 40 mph
>>
Wouldn't survive 5 minutes in the streets of New York.
>>
>>13574
What kinda stuff are you riding/ or want to ride?
>>
>>14461
I hate road cycling, because all the slow fat fucks think they are in Tour de France and ride in the middle of the fucking road, while those that actually ride a lot ride on the bike specific fucking paths, NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOTHERFUCKING ROAD!!!!!
I hate roadies, but only the faggots that think they are fast while riding slower than me on my fatbike, and there's a lot of them, and THEY ALL RIDE ON THE ROAD!
>>
>>9884
motorcycles are >>>/n/
>>
>>2765
Road racing is harder, more competitive, and more dangerous than mtb.
>>
>>16580
those roadies pay more in taxes than you do, anon. maybe when you get a real job and start paying taxes that maintain those roads you can talk about it at the city council meeting, but until then make a wide berth.
>>
>>16869
whats the roadie equivalent of Rampage?
>>
>>16867

makes no sense considering that dh is considered to be an extrem sport while being essentially lift- or shuttle-assisted riding
>>
File: g5u8jhg5rds3.jpg (29 KB, 474x272)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2765
Upgrade parts or replace?
>>
>>16924
it makes perfect sense because the downhill bike doesnt have an electric motor attached to it.
>>
>>8905
Is that a coil z1 or are you is it full of farts?
>>
>>14321
One for the newfags here

>Enduro is not a riding style, it's a marketing term

Ews races are literally stage based DH races, the shift to "Enduro" was made because Enduro bikes are more saleable to the general public than full on DH race sleds. This is to the extent where some of the EWS course stages have literally been nationals DH tracks.

That being said, Enduro bikes are generally good fucking all round bikes, but if you live somewhere with small hills don't fall for the meme, get a 120-140 bike instead and you'll have way more fun.
>>
>>16954
facts. I used to consistently ride steep southern CO trails w/ 120 up front and it did the job just fine. Just learn how to ride lol
>>
>>16954
Enduro bikes are just AM bikes, maybe a bit burlier and better suited to racing but all mountain bikes nonetheless.
>>
>>2765
tru tru
>>
>>12958
i've always wanted a nukeproof bike
>>
>>17116
Bonglander here, seeing everyone riding 160mm bikes on not particularly steep 1000ft hills is pretty funny.

>>17326
It's all getting pretty murky now though as bikes with "Enduro" slapped on them vary from 30lb 130-140mm bikes to absolute brusier 180mm bikes like the Commencal Clash. It's all got pretty stupid.
>>
File: p5pb8328819.jpg (389 KB, 1024x680)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
The fact that I see a million spectrals on here is proof positive that we're all broke fucks and I'm fine with that. I ride with a guy who uses a Yeti too large for him, first time we went to a bike park, he sent it over a small table top and immediately ate shit.

Felt bad but that's what you get for talking shit.
>>
mfw guide R brakes since I got the bike
mfw brake fade when it so much as looks at a long descent
mfw after a few switchbacks it's basically nothing left

Shit I can get some magura mt5's on the super cheap. I hear they have some bleeding issues but fuck I hate these guides so bad.
>>
>>17425
Avid are bunghole, based on what you can get spares for depending on where you are, virtually anything is better.
>>
>>16872
No, they really don't.
I pay a lot more taxes than the average person.
In my area, mountain biking is the patrician choice, though some of the more active guys go to Spain to ride road bikes for training in the winter.
>>
>>16933
Upgrading bike in picrel would be the same as setting fire to a wad of cash, nothing but a waste of money.
>>
>>16954
>>17326
An enduro race bike is more like a DH bike than what was considered AM a few years back.
Nothing is really marketed as AM today, but a modern trail bike will cover everything for 99% of riders.
I have an enduro bike, as I use it for big mountain riding, bike park and the occassional enduro competitions, but I ride my steel hardtail just as much.
The hardtail is much more fun for more normal riding, and I can ride all the same trails on that, just slower.
Unless you ride a bit of park, or compete, there's pretty much no reason for people to get an enduro bike over a decent trail bike.
>>
>>17459

it depends were and how you ride. Also how much you weigh. I ride mostly in the alps and lower mountain ranges and I wouldn't ride less than 140mm of travel because at a certain speed you just need the plushness if you ride into some rocks or roots even if the rest of the trail is smooth. You also need some travel if you are jumping. The faster you go the more travel you need.
>>
>>14461
get out of the road
>>
>>17898
I'm going on a road ride later today and I'm going to upload pictures of me riding in the street just to make you seethe
>>
>>2801
Sometimes you gotta go fast and those trees pop up outta nowhere
>>
>>9720
Plus it sucks driving 40 minutes to go ride, so I’ll end up being a roadie more since I can leave my garage
>>
>>17463
That's definitely true, we have extremely janky terrain where I live, no flow trails or luxuries like that, just a lot of steep punchy shit with lots of sharp rocks and roots.
I still find more enjoyment out of riding my hardtail on these trails, but the speed is hurt a lot, and I can't go for near as long on it, as it just tires out the body so much.
Something about doing it, despite the handicap, is just immensely satisfying.
If I were to go ride in the alps, I would only bring my enduro bike, that's for sure.
>>
>>18149
Move out of the city?
I love having decent trails pretty much right from my front door.
>>
As someone who drives a car and like most other motorists, has to put up with shithead roadbikers everyday, I feel confident in saying that they can all go and fuck themselves with a spiked club.
But mountainbikers I've got no problems with at all. You guys do you; you're alright.
>>
>>2832
Damn I used to ride there when I was in East Bay. I'm trying to hit it once my buddy gets his Canyon.
>>
>>17425
>>17434

Sounds that you are not servicing/maintaining your brakes properly. Treat them like shit, they perform like shit. I ran guides for two years without any issue.
>>
>>19006
I had an oem set of avid brakes that had the levers rivited on and captive barrel springs so you couldn't repair them if they fucked up (Which they of course did.)

Avid haven't changed their lever/piston design in about 15 years, and it was a fucking shitty design to start with.

To give them their due, their brakes do actually work to some degree now, which they didn't used to. They still feel shit though, That being said, if you're buying aftermarket, literally anything else is better for the price.

The SRAM umbrella and OEM is all that has kept Avid alive, Rockshox and SRAM actually make decent stuff, Avid and Truvativ have only survived because of allowing SRAM to sell builds for full build bikes, they would have died on their arse otherwise.

I still fucking wish Shimano had bought Marzocchi and absolutely destroyed sram build kits by offering shimano/Zocchi ones.
>>
File: Silver_Surfer.jpg (51 KB, 250x353)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
as someone who is competent at mtb, bmx and motocross. roadbiking in the mountains is one of the most extreme things I can imagine doing on a bicycle.
>>
>>19061
>To give them their due, their brakes do actually work to some degree now, which they didn't used to.
Never claimed that they didn't have issues in the past. But having run a set of Guides and Codes for 2 years each, I can confidently say that the current generation of Sram brakes work extremely well. The trouble that people run into is not bleeding the brakes properly and changing brake pads as needed as this gives the brakes that spongy feeling with no stopping power people complain about.

> They still feel shit though
This comes down to personal opinion. Shimano is very on/off while Sram has a more modulated feel, which I prefer.

> That being said, if you're buying aftermarket, literally anything else is better for the price.
Not really. The price and performance is more or less the same. I have recently rode Code Rs and an XTs back to back in alpine conditions and both performed equally as good. Only difference is, Code Rs are slightly cheaper and (in my opinion) have a better lever pull. Other brands of brakes are going to cost the same or more and offer similar performance. Hubbards upgrading to Hope and Migura from Sram is retarded, they are not even getting close to what the brakes are capable of.
>>
File: 1593557627749.jpg (262 KB, 1080x1080)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>16954
Enduro bikes are common where I live and the largest hill we have isn't even 300m tall. Hell, all of the trails here are very rideable on a hardtail, yet people think they need full on big mountain rigs. It's insane how many fall for the meme
>>
>>20505
MT5s and MT7s are fucking retard tier bulletproof and put out more power at a cheaper price on a pull. Come on mate, shit you can't even find most brake sets for sram/shimano right now anyway.
>>
>>21059
I haven't ridden anything other than Sram and Shimano, but I am very doubtful that they offer a sizable performance increase any performance increase would be lost on the wider public considering how slow and tame they ride and how good Sram and Shimano brakes are now. As someone who rides reasonably fast and aggressive I have used Code Rs on my enduro bike and XT brake on an eMTB in alpline conditions with no brake fade or issues in stopping performance.

Why must you lie? Sram and Shimano brakes are more available both brand new and second hand than migura, hope, TRP, etc. Hell, none of the major online retailers I buy parts from have any Migura stock. While MT5 are typically cheap than equivalent Sram and Shimano brakes, it isn't by much and you can get Guide Ts for less. MT7s are considerably more expensive than the flag ship brakes for Sram and Shimano.

>>21046
> Enduro bikes are common where I live and the largest hill we have isn't even 300m tall
It isn't the size of the hill that dictates the bike, it is the trail. A lot of trails are getting sufficiently chunky that you can justify an Enduro bike. Plus there is the versatility of enduro bikes being able to ride both the tame and chunky stuff.
>>
>>20505
Do you work for SRAM or something? christ. Avid's lever design was shit when it appeared 15 years ago and it still sucks today because they haven't changed it once.

>>21094
>It isn't the size of the hill
So riding shorter trails and getting less fatigue isn't a thing, right. If your trails are 2min or under you're totally going to want a dh bike right?

>A lot of trails are getting sufficiently chunky that you can justify an enduro bike

A big part of the reason for this is that everything is littered with braking bumps because overbiked dipshits are just skidding their way down stuff because they're on an enduro bike that does all the work and compensates for their lack of skill.

Any of you fools ride singlespeed hardtails? I've been wanting to revert to caveman after running my DH bike singlespeed for years, haven't had the money to do it yet but the thought is always there.
>>
>>8905
am currently using a black pearl - Dave Mirra bike to ride trails with in kentucky. Pretty chill desu but there arent any pay trails here and no shocks so its extra bumpy sometimes. Put dirt tires and brakes back on it. No pics on deck its so sick tho. Colony freecoaster, using a socket for the brake line divide
>>
>>18243
why are you guys going willingly into threads with bycicles, there are better ways to up your blood pressure such as taking viagra and eating a lot of salt, also, don't get a heart attack fatso if you have to leave your car :)
>>
couple exceptional cases of road being extreme
https://youtu.be/iO7_Fq56g2c
https://youtu.be/upJxWntJxRg?t=50
>>
>>2765
Any good riding spots on the East Coast? I want to go to the Adirondacks and cat skill but I just want some long descents sick of the east coast up down up up down up up up down.
>>
File: Screenshot_132.png (2.43 MB, 1253x789)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
>>18148
If you havent had a tree jump out in front of you are you even riding?

>>21140
People are going to buy all sorts of shit that doesn't make sense and trail bikes have always been way more popular than enduro/fr/dh for every shore I've seen one hundred pilots, canyons and pivots and for every one of those I've seen thousands of specialized and trek.

Under biking is hugely popular right now and you can do things on a hard tail with proper geo that you would have a hard time doing on a full sus bike.

My Kona blast was ok and my p1 was amazing I'm considering getting a BMX bike or perhaps a dj, thing is I don't want to give up breaks to ride bmx, I've been thinking a DJ with brakes and just drilling out the stem so I can spin the bike with disc brakes but idk
>>
File: IMG_20170503_130205563.jpg (838 KB, 1456x2592)
838 KB
838 KB JPG
>>2765
How about mountain unicycling?
After long brake (since i've bought mountain bike) i'm thinking to give it another try. Does anyone municycle here?
>>
>>21388
No freewheel so it's essentially all trials.

Saw a guy at my local on one though, good lad. Can unicyle and tried going up the hill on it but wasn't nearly as fun as a bike.
>>
>>21448
>freewheel
I don't think i'm that good, but maybe i should build another wheel with it, and give it a try someday.
> tried going up the hill on it but wasn't nearly as fun as a bike
Uphils suck on unicycle, strapping it to backpack and hiking is better option.
>>
>>21274
>you can do things on a hard tail with proper geo that you would have a hard time doing on a full sus bike
like climb?
I'm just gonna overfork my ht to slacken it by 1 deg, then everything will be great!
>>
>>21477
Trials type riding, skate park, free ride, flat land, bike polo, it's obvious all you do is pedal
>>
>>21140
> Do you work for SRAM or something?
I just don't like seeing new and/or uninformed riders being lied to about the capability of their brakes resulting in them spending ~$500 (AUD) on a set of brakes that has no tangible performance gain. There are so many other things they could spend that money on to improve their performance and quality of their ride.

> Avid's lever design was shit when it appeared 15 years ago and it still sucks today because they haven't changed it once.
I am going to need two things. 1) proof that they haven't changed the lever design in 15 years, dual pot brakes were not even a thing 15 years ago so there would have been some changes to the lever to facilitate the jump from single to dual pot brakes. 2) Objective proof that the lever design is shit.

> If your trails are 2min or under you're totally going to want a dh bike right?
Maybe? Depends on how chunky the trail is and what the climb back up is like/is your mate shuttling you. But this is benefit of enduro bikes. You ride the short and chunky trail and then you either pedal back to the top of it or the next trail.

> A big part of the reason for this is that everything is littered with braking bumps because overbiked dipshits are just skidding their way down stuff because they're on an enduro bike that does all the work and compensates for their lack of skill.

Two things. 1) It isn't the braking bumps that makes a trail more chunky. It is the trail builders making it more chunky because bikes are more capable than what they use to be. 2) Enduro bikes are going to have better brakes which means less riders will be skidding their way down stuff because they can actually control their speed.

Why do you have to be such a hater ride what you want to ride. I think riding hard trails for anything other than XC racing is retarded. Hell, I think converting your bike to single speed is retarded. But you do you, as long as you are having fun.
>>
>>2832
norcal gang.
>>
Rate my whip
>>
File: 7f1.jpg (30 KB, 600x423)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>21547
This explains everything
>>
File: hope 3 pot.jpg (194 KB, 1200x801)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>21547
>Dual pot brakes were not even a thing 15 years ago

Hope made this, a 6 pot brake in 2003. You're either a newfag or a zoomer larping like you have a clue.
>>
>>21597
Hold still whilst I glass you cunt.

>>21601
Neet. How many bike manufactures spec'd that meme brake which was only created because they could?
>>
Nice sram marketing we have going on here, I see looking to buy some codes when they're in stock sometime in 2023
>>
>>21596
La croix/10
What trail is that?
>>
>>21698
Betasso
>>
What's people's reckoning on the massive influx of new riders at the moment, going to end up good or bad?

I expect about 1/3rd at of them if not half will give up/only go out once or twice a year after next winter, but even then it'll still be a lot of new folks.
So far obvious short term bad
>Parts drought
>Pretty much all manufacture is outsorced and bought to order so all supply chains are fucked so no bikes
>Industry seems to be going for mega cashgrab options
>Trails in a lot of places notably more fucked up than this time last year
>Noob influencer riders are getting sonsored despite being fucking shit riders and are shelling out some questionable advice

Good
>More people seem to have taken up on repairs
>Should mean big money for bike parks etc

Personally I kind of fucking hate it because I like the solitude of getting out and not seeing anyone, but it's fair game really.
>>
>>22360
Good:
In a year or two there will be a glut of slightly used gear for likely very cheap prices
>>
>>21448
For uunis your going to want a a big wheel I think 28- 30 I took a 26 on some walking trails it's all right but they make some seriously nice uni's now internal hubs, brakes but you don't need all that.

https://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle
>>
>>2765
Mountain biking is pretty cool, but you know what I really hate; downhill faggots.
They are all rich white kid giga chads who drop their pocket change on 10k of equipment, there is nothing more annoying than some rich white boi interfering with my hiking tour .
>>
>>2832
I miss the Bay so much, I regret moving to Texas
>>
>>22360
>What's people's reckoning on the massive influx of new riders at the moment
Everyone is bored during the pandemic and looking for outdoor stuff to do. Don’t worry, they’ll go back to their nightclubs and music festivals and other degenerate shit after this is all over.
>>
>>22360
Yeah, the crowding will be very annoying. I'm pretty sure what other anon said >>22623
will happen once they realize they actually need to ride a lot to get good.
Another one to add to the list is new riders around here are "improving" the trails by removing features that they deem too dangerous or difficult
>>
its been scientifically proven riding on asphalt drains your testoserone
>>
>>22478
Lmao seethe harder monkey
>>
>>22664
gay
>>
File: 1600408039262.jpg (58 KB, 800x450)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>21547
>I think riding hard trails for anything other than XC racing is retarded
>I think converting your bike to single speed is retarded
>>
>>8527
Right? Fuck shared use trais. Ours are all hiking trails, very steep, short and bumpy. That for fairly flat XC ish stuff but more-so for horseriding.

Theres a few good dedficated parks, but they are so fucking far away, kinda gotta plan your day around it
>>
File: Melonhead.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>22654
I don't think that's a problem of the last couple of years, that mentality has been seeping in since about 2015. The combo of ambulance chaser lawyers and shitcunting trail apps like strava and trailforks has meant that there is this weird mentality of "Every trail should be for everyone" meaning people will wreck stuff they don't like instead of just going round it.
The one that fucks me off is how many media outlets use the phrase "Dangerous features" whenever they talk about unsanctioned trails, as if they're gonna fucking bite you if you go near them. If you decide to ride something, look at it first or accept the consequence, whatever happens from there is your own stupid fucking fault. If it's badly built and you didn't realise that when you looked at it, you're a fucking kook who brought it on themselves.
>>
File: Ozwar.gif (19 KB, 350x250)
19 KB
19 KB GIF
>>22689
Based

shut it Bruce.
>>
>>22623
>after this is all over
Who wants to tell him?
>>
>>22964
>Be Mountain biker
>Don't live in mountains/hills where coof has had little to no effect on life

Dumbass
>>
>>22995
Cityfags shitting up trails because they’re deprived of their precious festivals will happen whether you live innawoods or not, dummy.
>>
>>22689
Way to completely ignore my point shit for brains.

>>21696
Brando from Sram marketing. Don't you worry, I got chu bro. You can buy your Sram brakes online from: Pushys, R2Bike, MTBDirect, Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles, among way great online retailers that stock Sram brakes.
>>
>>22622
The trails here are great but they're full of retarded hikers now

>>21696
Get Hayes Dominion A4 or A2 if you're looking for 2 piston. These brakes are so overlooked but they're absolutely amazing. I heard Hayes used to make shitty brakes in the past so nobody wants to give them a chance but everything about these is incredible.
>>
thinking of really getting more into MTB aside from casually fucking around through dirt trails in parks. my local ski mountain in the summertime has the lifts running for their mountain bike trails and only costs about $20 for the ticket, would I be going out of my element too fast if this is all like downhill stuff?
>>
>>23424
> would I be going out of my element too fast if this is all like downhill stuff?

Depends. How capable is the bike you are riding and how difficult the trails are. I was recently riding at Thredbo and I saw a few people on wall mart tier bikes walking it down the access road because they and their bike were not capable of riding of that sort of terrain.
>>
File: 20210310_235526.jpg (3.18 MB, 3359x2504)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
How trash is this folder on a scale of 1-10?
>>
Only issue I have with newer riders is literally the lack of supply in parts. Don't care, mostly but the boost in MTB sales means more money for the industry to do dumb shit with. Works for me, it'll be over eventually.
>>
File: SC schlomad.jpg (194 KB, 800x533)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>23470
Not sure that's how it's working, boom time means sheckle reaping.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-increases-retail-prices-by-an-average-of-10.html

INDUSTRY IS BOOMING, BETTER PUT UP PRICES KIDS

So yeah, outsourcing worked out great huh.
>>
>>23544
Look at how retarded prices have gotten over the past few years, now imagine if manufacturing had stayed in the US. I'd rather not spend 20k on a trail bike personally
>>
>>23748
Now we play the waiting game, we'll be there soon anon.
>>
>>8850
You should check out the trails in Duluth, dude.
>>
>>2773
This. Mountain biking is relaxing, commuting in rush hour is an ardrenaline rush like no other.
>>
>hauling ass downhill in bumper to bumper traffic in nothing but skin tight lycra isn't extreme
You could die so fucking easily lmao a car just slightly clipping you is likely a fatality.
>>
>>23748
>imagine if manufacturing had stayed in the US. I'd rather not spend 20k on a trail bike personally
Prices never went down when everything moved offshore, they simply pocketed the difference.
>>
File: sparky.jpg (1.31 MB, 1920x1440)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Hopefully this board can keep a functional mtb thread going. /mtb/ was dead in the water on /n/
>>
>>24645
That and the fact that a good 70% of stuff isn't designed in house.

It always really pissed me off how the mtb media report on Eurobike/Interbike/Sea Otter but generally try and avoid talking about the Taiwan cycle show because that's where everyone goes to buy designs for the "New" products they're going to unveil at the other cycle shows.

The bike industry is a fucking shitshow at the moment.
>>
Is fork maintenance a meme or is it actually important to send it in every year for servicing? What do they do? I've had my bike for five years now and never had anything done with the fork, is it fucked?
>>
File: IMG_0610.jpg (1.02 MB, 3648x2048)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
MTB street/ dirt jump bike everything chromoly, also have suspension fork 4 dirt. One speed is all I need.
>>
>>26782
Fork service is incredibly easy. No it's not a meme, I opened mine up for the 50 hour service and it was filthy inside.
>>
>>26809
I also want to add that not only was it filthy, I also clean it after every ride and use fork lube to get the dirt out
>>
>>26782
Half-service at 40 hours, full send-off service at 100. They get pretty gross so don't chance it.
>>
>>2765
>Mountain Biking is extreme.
>Road biking not

Why are mtb riders the meat heads of the cycling world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mE2b5zu48&ab_channel=TerryBarentsen
>>
>>27071
>The quest for bigger tires is what fuels our drudgery

Although honestly with all the fucking consoomer enduro shit mtb is starting to become road cycling, it's back to piss pots/Full face and jeans or rope it lads.
>>
>>23436
kickstand / 10
>>
File: Snapchat-274384114.jpg (968 KB, 1816x3612)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
Just got this fucker from ebay. Can't wait to fuck my shit up. I had to buy pedals because wtf the pedals it has are for shoes with clips n shit. This thing climbs uphill do easy though holy fuck I'm ready to take this bitch on trails.
>>
>>30477
Oh , that's pretty nice. What year is it from? How much did you pay for it? I have a thing for retro full sussers. I've got an original FSR XC frame (1998 I think) in the shed which is a bike I'd have killed for when I started riding. Still haven't gotten around to building it up, but I wonder how it will ride today.
>>
File: Snapchat-208308769.jpg (525 KB, 720x1280)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
poorfags rise up
>>
>>30491
> woman's saddle
>>
>>30492
i love to let fat bitches ride mybike right before they give me sloppy toppy
>>
>>30531
In that case I'll let it slide
>>
>>8527
time to build your own
>>
>>8856
if you learn how to bunny hop, then you can control yourself in the air. I think bunny hopping is the most important MTB skill after using both brakes
>>
>>19127
yeah, at some point it's pretty much suicide,

be road fag
some karen comes around the blind corner in her f250
cant stop or miss you cause f250 and karen,
you are dead.
>>
>>26782
it is not a meme, i took mine apart after around 40 hours, I dont track my rides so it was more or less 40 and the thing was brown in the inside, I washed it out and did a full service, also fox 36 flangless seals are a pain in the ass
>>
>>30491
>9000mm wide bars

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.