[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 20 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (4).jpg (10 KB, 640x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Is sailplane racing an extreme sport?
>>
not really but looks fucking sweet
>>
>>18017
Sailplane racing is a thing?

But I mean, gliding is the chad way of piloting, so sure
>>
>>18565
https://youtu.be/NxzZc1Ny4qQ
>>
is sailplane the US name for gliding?
>>
>>18017
idk but this looks rad
>>
>>18648
According to Wikipedia not is, but I've only ever heard them called gliders or glider planes.
>>
what liscense do i need to fly one
what if i fly one without a liscense
>>
>>21176
I'm pretty sure you can start in a dual control glider after just a short lesson where they make sure you're not retarded.
>>
>>21176
In the US at least, you don't need anything to fly dual seat gliders if you have a CFIG with you.
Flying solo at the very least requires an endorsement from a CFIG, but that can take maybe a dozen hours or so if you have no experience with aviation. That said, you'll generally have limitations that would prevent you from doing any real cross country tasks, so racing solo would be out of the question until you at least get a real certification.
>>
>>18017
What class/plane are you flying anon?
>>
>>21992
Discus 2a, most amazing thing I have ever seen. Flies like a rocketship too when full of water, you don't even realize you're cruising at 100+ knots.
>>
>>22525
Ah yeah, they're great especially in good weather, we have a 2c. For weak thermals I prefer the LS6, almost never had to land out with it.
>>
>>22853
Bit jealous desu. We've got a few very nice standard class gliders, but no 15/18m class club gliders.
>>
>>23874
18m is great but I think I wouldn't want to fly anything bigger desu... Our 20m wingspan Duo Discus is already so slow in terms of roll rate and all. Not eager to land this one on a short field.
>>
Anyone else got nice competition pictures to share?
>>
File: oma.jpg (757 KB, 1500x501)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
>>25022
>>
>>18648
We use both, but I think "sailplane" is more specific, referring only to unpowered assisted launch aircraft with long wings and enclosed fuselages, while a "glider" can be a hang glider, a paraglider, one of those touring motor gliders that's halfway between a plane and a sailplane, unpowered radio control models, or whatever. We also tend to use "soaring" rather than "gliding" as a term for the sport and for flying these aircraft, while "gliding" is also used more for stuff like hang gliders.
>>
File: real_shit.png (2.44 MB, 629x1013)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB PNG
how rich do you have to be to try this?
because I really want to try this
>>
>>18017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzZc1Ny4qQ
>>
>>18633
>formula 1 of the S K Y
>no engines
didin't watch
>>
>>18017
pretty neat looking sport. can i really build a small personal one for about 5k + a trailer?
>>
>>33118
You personally probably can't, you probably need to be a pretty well educated on the topic and dedicated and experienced person like Peter Sripol.

Maybe you are, but if you were you probably wouldn't be asking, you'd just be doing it. No offense meant by the way, 95% of us, including myself also probably can't.

But, gliders are not as expensive as actual airplanes to get into and get a license and buy an old one etc. You should find a glider club and talk to people. Flyfags generally go nuts when a young person expresses interest because they are all over 60 and really depressed about how layabout and depressed most teens and young adults are. Flyfags are also usually pretty industrious and intelligent people and they want to help other people be industrious and intelligent too.
>>
>>33254
no offense taken, brah. i consider myself good with my hands and figuring shit out but i have no idea about neccessary skills or what goes into one of those.

It seems affordable if you have someplace to keep the trailer.

how much does it cost to get a lift up? ~$30 like a skydive or more because its not a plane load of people only 1 customer?
>>
>>33258
I've never done it so I can't honestly tell you. I do know they make motor-gliders so you can give yourself the lift up. This seems like the best idea to my uninitiated brain.

When I was 14 and fascinated by airplanes I joined my local EAA chapter and vastly benefited from it. A number of these people had built their own planes, and the knowledge and connections I gained were absolutely incredible. I suggest you join one of those as well as joining a glider club. If you're good with your hands you may be able to work together with someone and build some shit.
>>
>>18017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGH4u4NoAM
>>
>>35267
Absolutely kinographique

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.