[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's your favorite deck shape? I've been skating Skate Warehouse blanks for years. I wanna try some good shapes, I've heard good things about the classic Baker board
>>
How are Passports?
>>
File: x1rkdmdlkexquktv2nah.jpg (102 KB, 1300x1300)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
is there anyone who makes sub 8" decks with steep concave?
>>16356
it's bbs wood which is pretty high quality ime. looks pretty similar to the krooked board i'm riding atm

>https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115427.0
>>
>>16356
I only skate baker and deathwish boards. I want to try a lithe board, its retard proof so that’s good for me.
>>
File: 20200520_134423~2.jpg (1.69 MB, 2738x2619)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
I dunno, I have a kenny anderson chocolate bullet/cigar deck (far right) and the pickaxe style nose is kinda cool but I love the squared tail. Not very practical for anything switch but I just love the square tail action, especiallys for tailslides.
>>
WTF is deck shape? I stopped skating in 2010 and back then there were just decks, and old school decks. Get me up to date.
>>
File: DCPAPPKHS24720.jpg (234 KB, 383x1500)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
The K20 242/247 shapes from Skate1 have been my favorite decks for a while now.
>>
i have a lizzie armanto deck, although i don't use it much because 1 covid, 2 i have an old board that i'm using till it's dead.
>>
>>16356
i like a real twin tail because I have loose trucks and don't have to worry about board direction at all
>>
>>16370

Dwindle / DSM do 7.75 and 7.875 with steep kicks
>>
>>16356
How are the SW blanks? I'm pretty interested in cheaper decks as long as they're good quality, don't care much for brands.
>>
>>16356
Skated a few brands, but that was over 10 years ago, so board shapes may have changed over time.
I really loved Zero/Mystery boards. Both Afterlife and Shallow Grave concaves felt good. I liked Toy Machine boards too, but they were somewhat rare where I lived.
Didn't like Baker/Deathwish/Heroin boards because I felt like the concave was too flat compared to stuff from Toy Machine and Zero.
>>
>>16894
They're not bad
>>
>>16894
8.25 is 14.625 wheelbase which they fail to mention
>>
File: trucks.jpg (34 KB, 1412x152)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>16431
every company presses them different, an 8.5 from baker will have mellow convcave and 14.5 wheelbase and an 8.5 from real will have steep kicks and 14.25 wheelbase. despite being advertised as the same size they will skate differently, their tails will pop on the ground at different timings and at different strengths changing up your skating a bit

t. wheelbasefag
>>
>>17188
what the hell why would anyone need a size like that?
>>
>>17258
Jeff degros back at it again
>>
>>16431
Stupid zoomer niggers nowadays sometimes skate weird shaped boards that aren't the standard popsicle. You know how back in the day some boards would have a slightly bigger nose than tail, and others would be pretty much the same? Nowadays they are making boards with weird hexagonal shapes and shit, watch Andy Anderson videos on youtube he has pretty much popularized it.
>>
>>18083
Nothing wrong with trying to dial something in to meet your needs. Chill out spaz
>>
File: file.png (242 KB, 347x600)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>18083
I remember when Deathwishhad weirdass shaped cruisers. There was a handsaw, malt liquor bottles, I think they had a blunt board at one point. Weird shit.
>>
File: file.png (516 KB, 249x981)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
>>18087
Fuck, forgot that one, a shank board.
>>
File: 24.jpg (10 KB, 251x242)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>18083
>he doesnt know shaped boards were a huge thing in the mid 2010s
if you're only hearing about the shaped board wave now (through andy anderson of all people), then you probably have no friends and all your skateboarding comes from youtubers and the berrics. everyone else is well past that
>>
Anybody else remember Lib's fiberglass boards? God they were so shit.

I use to rock mainly Flips. I love flips, but they could never support my full weight that well in vert setting. They would always bend and pry too much for my liking. Just got into Real skateboards and I don't think I'm ever looking back.
>>
>>16356
girl and real
>>
>>18356
>fiberglass board
imagine the splinters
>>
>>16356
FA
>>
>>18087
I remember when Deathwish wasn't even a thing. That was where the decline in skateboard culture started. Let's sponsor a bunch of cringe pothead black guys and make 10 year olds think it's cooler to drink and smoke than to actually skate. fuck SHAKE JUNT(whatever that even is anyways)
>>
>>16431
you know all that faggot shit people who didnt actually skate much would go on and on about how important it is and why your creature deck with random mismatch hardware, no name chink bearings, the cheapest small wheels that looked cool and used indy trucks "werent good for ledges" and that you were trash if you didnt have swiss ceramic ABEC 7 bearings even though youre not long boarding
its that bullshit
>>
>>18613
the "hurr, lets binge drink and punch each other in the balls, also buy element at your local zumiez faggot!" era right before was better?
>>
>>18613
>>
>>18356
I had an HKD Flip deck a long time ago, phenomenal shape. Great pop and concave. How did it not support your weight? I never had an issue with vert or transition skating with it
>>
File: welcome.png (37 KB, 450x450)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>16356
Thoughts on welcome boards?
>>
File: soft_kill.png (452 KB, 561x775)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
>>18856
Not OP. I love welcome. I have 3 of their decks. Currently I'm riding the Soft Kill custom deck. It's 9.5 which I like even though I'm 160 lbs. Keeps your feet on no matter what. Great for bowl skating.
>>
>>18858
>9.5
How is that? Noticeably heavy?
>>
I heavily rock wit the shape of FA boards
>>
>>16356
>>
I’ve only ridden Alien and FA/Hockey decks. Currently on this Hockey Kevin Rodrigues deck.
>>
>>18810
Zumies wasn't a thing before that. At least not where I lived. It was CCS and Active Mailorder
>>
>>16370
I think my 7.5" zero deck had a pretty steep concave. I was 13 at the time, so I don't really remember. It was definitely more steep than my current setup (8" w/ relatively mellow concave).
>>
File: chocolate berle.png (399 KB, 263x783)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
isk if it was the shape of it but i progressed so much on this deck
>>
>>18860
Yeah but more because of the trucks than the board. You can still treflip it and kickflip it. It just takes a bit more effort. You get used to it pretty quickly.
>>
File: sarge.jpg (124 KB, 472x1500)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
currently riding, might be my new favorite shape next to polar dane1
>>
>>18087
fuck I want one of these things
>>
>>19554
A beer or the board?
>>
>>19555
I already have shit tons of high life in my fridge
>>
File: hockey.png (256 KB, 1024x1024)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
Recently I had just landed my first kickflip on a Baker board and it broke soon after. Decided to get a Hockey board to replace it and now I feel like I'm relearning how to kickflip all over again because of the shape of the nose. Guess I should stick FA/Hockey until I can kickflip consistently.
>>
>>18838
probably because they are flat and also ps stix. me personally I had a board with medium length flat tail that always felt a little creaky and flexy, I actually preferred it but of course the tail snapped on flat.
>>
>>18856
welcome is fucking gay. to let you know how gay welcome is, i saw a bmx dude with a welcome sticker on his bike.

>>18858
go back to 2013
>>
>>20135
who topped?
>>
>>18856
The sloth boards look cool I’m not giving those faggots any money. I would steal it off someone else.
>>
>>18858
Is that a collab with the band Soft Kill?
I dont like Welcome, but I love that band
>>
>>20179
>>20677
redpill me on welcome
>>
>>20681
Ive never ridden a Welcome but the graphics are the epitome of skater art I hate. I also dont like Nora
Who makes their decks? Stix? If so, I hear their decks die pretty fast too
>>
>>20681

Og welcome gud

Nu welcome bad
>>
>>20685
She seems like cranky lady behind the camera.
>>
I stopped buying pro decks, name brand decks from big companies. at the end of the day the only difference is what material and shape. Found a local shop selling their decks ( maple wood ) for 39$ and they pop like any Santa cruz deck I've skated in the last 5 years.
>>
>>20737
This, pro decks just don’t do it for me anymore, can’t connect with them
>>
>>20737
Thats probably because every company uses the same handful of woodshops
>>
>>20788
exactly.
>>
File: quasi1.jpg (541 KB, 1632x1224)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>16356
>I've heard good things about the classic Baker board
I like it. mellow concave and full-ish nose and tail without being super blunt or huge like FA or something.

I've had two sessions on this Quasi deck and like it a lot. barely any concave, which I like. just feels more comfy and doesn't seem to affect flip tricks for me. not like I'm that great anyway.
>>
File: quasi2.jpg (385 KB, 1632x1224)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
>>21011
big 'ol nose too
>>
>>21012
what does the tail look like?
>>
>>21243
'bout the same but not as long. has that same fullness. ill try to remember to take a pic and post here.
>>
>>19045
Toby?
>>
>>20733
>getting some skater faggot to show up on time for something
Id be cranky too
>>
>>24139
i mean yeah i don't think being pro is all glamorous as they make it seem. it must get frustrating to be told to preform when and where.
>>
>>24141
I’ll tell you this, if nora ever gave me an attitude she will not live to tell about it. I will bash her skull in with the trucks on my board.
>>
File: je.png (676 KB, 1054x564)
676 KB
676 KB PNG
jeeb on mini logo.
>>
>>16356
Girl shapes from the 90's, guy mariano and carroll. Flat boards. hard to find shapes like that now.
>>
How are boards with carbon in? I’m coming from snowboarding where boards are quite tech, why are all skateboards basically just wood? Surely there’s something else better by now? When you pay a premium for a pro board are you just paying for a graphic and name vs a blank?
>>
I got a 8.375 Blind skateboard that rides nicely. Widest board I've ridden. Was't sure about a Blind board but it was on sale $20 cheaper than the rest that size. So far feels nice.
>>
>>24267
Lighter =/= better
There’s been plenty of carbon fiber innovations with skateboards but these tend to fuck with how a board feels
>>
>>16356
You posted it, baker og. I can't get my pop right on those full tails. I crave the point!
>>
>>24267
It sucks. The board gets soft and loses it's pop after a while.
>>
>>24267
skateboards aren't meant to last as long as a snowboard. not "trick" skateboards anyways. maybe longboards have more "tech." Element was the first to do the carbon inserts in the early 2000s, they felt no different so nobody bought them. Also like someone else said, lighter isn't always better. Guys can ollie just as high on heavy boards as they can on ones with hollow trucks and other weight saving methods.
>>
>>19658
it just takes a couple of days to adjust to a new deck/setup/shoes. if you get to a point where you can do a trick consistently, brand of this or that component won't matter.
>>
>>24327
>maybe longboards have more "tech."
not really. anything other than carbon or fg top/bottom ply is a gimmick.

powell flight decks with carbon are ok, springy pop, but they sag really bad and the razor-thin rails are sketchy.
>>
>>19392
how is the wood quality on new deal boards
>>
>>18356
Lib tech made skateboards? Lol they only had like 2 good snowboards
>>
newfag here, what are some brands with cool decks? or sites that host a bunch of decks from different companies?
>>
>>27923
do some research and find a local skateshop near you or your region, it's not hard to find them now, people are all over soical media now. They tend to ship faster, you're supporting a local shop and they might have better deals.
>>
Are Superior decks any good? I just picked one up for $40 but I can see it's made in China. I'm a newbie still practicing ollies so deck quality may not matter much.
>>
>>27938
I don’t give a fuck about a local shop if they sell Nike’s.
>>
>>18408
Lol girl was once, real never
>>
>>27979
newsflash retard every local shop sells nike
welcome to 2010
>>
>>27979
Sorry retard, thats the last spoon feed for you.
>>
My last couple decks and current deck have been Hockey. I love their shape and the graphics are okay. I'm thinking about getting a Quasi because of the shape similarities.
I Have a Theories deck on standby right now because I love the style of all the style of all the brands they sell. I hope the board doesn't suck though because I really want to fuck with that company
I also want to move up to 8.25 but its hard to find an 8.25 with a 14wb; I can only find Girl decks
>>
>>24146
Are you sponsored by Pizza?
>>
>>24146
Are you sponsored by GX1000?
>>
>>28722
primitive and april are both 8.25/14, some flip boards
>>
>>27923
I can vouch for Skatewarehouse. I'm on the entire other side of the country and their free standard shipping got to me retardedly quick, everything was packaged well, and had zero issues. ordered from them 2 more times since because I liked the experiance so much. I think Tactics might be the most popular online shop now since ccs died then came back and lost it's spot.
>>
>>16356
Deathwish is pretty fucking good, however i have been recently skating a habitat and its fucking awesome. That deck has wayy more pop than any other deck i have ever skated
>>
>>28831
i think they're just standard tum yeto boards now
>>
>>26026
Really hood I’ve had one for like 4 months and it’s still super solid, usually my nose would be completely destroyed by now
>>
>>24267
I've got an Almost deck with a little carbon and epoxy glue. Honestly I care more about the epoxy, because I got tired of delaminating my tails. Board feels nice and stiff and pop has lasted for a while.
>>
>>28801
Oh yeah, I wanted to try Primitive.
I had an April and hated it though
>>
dick thread more like haha
>>
>>20135
very insightful
>>
>>29022
Have you tried their normal resin7 stuff?
>>
>>28831
>>28866
habitat is bbs/ps stix. when yah get it and it says Stix on the boards its stix. If it doesnt probably bbs but who knows with the current climate of things
>>
>>16356
i really enjoy the enjoi decks nice concave good pop and last a while
>>
I want to be an old school deck hipster. Any good recs?
>>
How wide is too wide?
>>
File: rbr_ad_2.jpg (140 KB, 1149x1459)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>30007
the Vison gonz has a great shape
Hosoi hammerhead if you want everyone to ask "why is you board like that?"
most early 80s pigs are good
those are the only 80s boards I've used so far

But board shapes are like everything else in skateboarding, personal preference.
Also, every kid with a zumiez complete is gonna ask if you can do any tricks with that board, or call it a cruiser.
>>30009
you can't get too wide
>>
>>29267
Only my friends deck, but it feels just fine. I think I'd probably get it over the Impact stuff since it's cheaper.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.