[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Do you think the best fighters would be the ones who are big, yet agile, arround 95kg? Or fightin at professional level would be impossible for anyone under 190cm tall and 120kg?
>>
There should be an open weight class
No reason not to
And the champion of that is the real champion of the world
>>
>>16233
120kg is within UFC's heavyweight limit, so just look at UFC champs. there are a couple guys who had to cut a little to make it but I don't think anyone is significantly hindered by it.
>>
>>16233
then you could implement crazier shit like BMI classes or Physical Index
>>
>>16246
>sumo sounds approach
>>
The 205ers who cut more than 10lbs would mostly dominate, with the odd heavyweight who's either got super heavy hands, or crazy grappling. Every so often a really good middleweight type would look to be on the rise, until he got spiked by one of the aformentioned heavys.
>>
manlets would get btfo'd
>>
>>16246
truth. but I don't think a cage would fit. Maybe a ring in which there are ring outs? I kind of hate the cage meta.
>>16450
initiated
>>
>>16233
pretty sure the biggest people who aren't like, titanically weakly jointed would dominate. heavy muscled people aren't slower for their musclemass, at least not in ways that matter for sports.
>>
>>16246
They should make it so both sides need to be in balance.
So if one fighter is 300lbs and gets challenged by a 150lbs fighter, the 150lbs is allowed to bring another 150lbs fighter with him in the ring, or 2 75lbs fighters.
Sumo wrestlers would otherwise roll everyone.
>>
The first few bouts would be entertaining with very different guys fighting each others. A bit like early MMA when you could have a pure wrestler fight a pure kickboxer. Then whichever body type is most efficient would dominate and you would only see that body type. It would get boring fast.
>>
>>16450
Absolutely no, the 150kg fat sume wrestler would definitely do bettert than they do now, but they would be stopped as soo as they faced someone who is also 150kg but of pure muscle and trained in styles that fit MMA
>>
>>16988
>Then whichever body type is most efficient would dominate and you would only see that body type

Why? Modern MMA isn't homogeneous in terms of style, and even less in terms of body types, we have fats, skinny and muscular guys
>>
>>16233
>What are UFC I, II and III?
>>
>>17084
That was complete Gracie bullshit and needs to be purged from history. Trust me anon.
>>
>>17088
Excuse are for sore loser, there were 8 fights per night. Royce won only 3 of them each night, what about the other faggot?
>>
>>17037
Maybe some are mega fatties, but a lot of rikishi are solid as fuck. They are legit athletes. The main thing that would be difficult for them I feel would be adapting to striking and groundwork.
>>
>>17084
Early UFC had a very small number and quality of fighters, it was too underground and the whole MMA thing was barely starting. Modern MMA with open weight would be a whole other thing.
>>
>>17293
I know they are, but the aplicability of sumo in MMA is very limited, we had sumo wrestlers in MMA and they didn't do very well even against smaller opponents, sure, they weren't the best sumo wrestlers of all time, but the fighters they were up against were far from that too. Tbh the things they would have to do would pretty much make their native style almost unrecognizable.
>>
>>16450
Suno wrestlers cobsistently got beat the fuck up in the early days of mma
>>
Did Sumo kill JMMA? Literally no notable big guys in jmma nowadays. Only in lower weight classes like horiguchi, ishiwatari, and ogikubo.
>>
Huge 2m roid freaks would dominate the sport
>>
File: jQLkvKw.jpg (31 KB, 324x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>16233
Every time I fight my friends who are 25-40lbs below me is just like fighting children
>>
>>19009
I was only about 125lb when I did MMA actively and used to train with a friend who was 220lb. As far as striking went, for me it was purely avoidance and my only viable strikes were kicks, if landed any even poorly executed blow it was over for me. For groundwork that got interesting if he could keep his mass over me it was done, but flexibility meant unless me got me into the hold RIGHT AWAY there was a solid chance I could bend myself out of it. They only time I "won" in a practice fight against him was when I baited him to go to the ground for a hold and then writhed out and got up faster and managed to get some good hits in while he was getting up. That trick worked exactly once.
>>
>>19009
I only weigh ~135lbs, but my larger sparring partners tell me that my strikes feel like they're coming from someone 40lbs heavier. I still get my shit rocked in grappling though.
>>
kimbo slice ends everybodys shit
>>
>>19603
He was barely over 100 kg
>>
K1 used to be an open class until they added the K1max (100kg) and most of those winners were around 110kg
>>
>>16450
One manlet Gracie won over Akebono, anon.

A world class Strongman will be fun to watch but I guess seeing Mariuz getting his ass handed by Silvia makes me believe that being a Strongman doesn't make you a good fighter.
>>
>>16450
Sumo with no endurance wouldn't be able to beat someone with proper training and enough muscle mass to defend himself
>>
>>16450
I think if they're forced to fight (no running circles around each other) sumo would destroy. Their striking, grappling, and weight/general toughness is insane.
>>
>>16233
What if they could use guns.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNLybeX-Jm8
>>
Idk I only watch Joe Rogan’s podcast, but from what I can tell, take Khabib, give him Tom Platz level legs and the technique to kick your calves into orbit, and you basically have the perfect MMA fighter of all time.
>>
>>20688
In pretty much all of the fights there it was a huge guy with shit fighting skills fighting a smaller guy with world class skills. Fedor for exemple is probably the best MMA fighter of all time, and Hong Man Choi have a record of 4 wins and 5 losses
>>
>>20739
yeah. but theres also something about a certain size limit on getting world class skills. Hong Man is just too giant to be highly skilled.
>>
>>20787
>but theres also something about a certain size limit on getting world class skills

Maybe, but that limit is freak of nature size, regular huge dudes can be very skilled, just because they won't move as fast or do crazy backflips it doesn't mean their skill is any less world class. Also, strengh can compensate for lack of skill to some point, talking about Fedor again, he lost to Bigfoot Silva, who is a worse fighter, but could overpower Fedor using his freakish strengh.
>>
>>20936
as a rule you want to learn skills from a smaller guy. smaller guys will always be more technical than bigger ones because they don't have the physicality to back themselves up
the higher up in weight class you go the less technical the fighters become
>>
>>20939
That doesn't even make sense, smaller guys don't have the physicality to back themselves up but they will fight other small guys who also don't, you will find fighters with outstanding skills in all weight classes equally, unless you mistake technical skill for things like speed or endurance. Curiously when I think of technical fighters most of them are middle weight, like Anderson Silva, GSP or Lyoto Machida
>>
>>20947
they might fight against people the same size, but when you train you're training against everybody of all sizes
when you're the smallest guy in the gym you have to become the most technical to keep up
>>
>>16964
>pretty sure the biggest people who aren't like, titanically weakly jointed would dominate.
as it should be
>>
>>20939
The important factor isn't how big or small they are but whether or not their weight classes are where the majority of the population are going to be

That's why the more skilled classes in Japan are 125-135, whereas for Russia it's more 155 and 170 and so on. There are exceptions but those are where you're more likely to see the most skilled guys. Combat sports leans smaller being more technical though because if you're big you could just make more money doing rugby, football, American football, basketball etc.
>>
>>17084
>>17088
>>17110

Even then, Royce vs Sakuraba was open-weight and they fought for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Sakuraba himself went to fight Vovchayn. People understimate Royce
>>
>>16961
rings are dog shit for mma
>>
>>22379
Royce gets as much respect as he deserves, he was a pioneer but not a great fighter, that match with him and Sakuraba was mostly stalling.
>>
>>16976
imagine 4mma midgets fighting 7ft 300lbs monster of a man. I would buy ticket every time
>>
>>19957
Max was 70 not 100
>>
File: Shaq.png (236 KB, 332x359)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
There are some very big athletes out there, and some of them are also very agile (see pic related)
When you look at the very strongest human beings to ever live, all of them are over 265 lbs. a lot fo them are closer to 400.
If you are telling me none of those guys could kick somebody's ass after learning some wrestling and a bit of BJJ, you are an idiot.
Look at any "traditional" martial art's history.
All of the greatest sumos were giant.
all of the mythical Mongolian wrestlers were giants.
When ancient greeks mention the best wrestlers of all time, they were all men colossally larger and stronger than others at the time.
Hell, a lot of MMA heavyweights would probably be BETTER fighters if they were allowed to gain a couple dozen lbs.
>>
>>16233
It would quickly become a 90 kg plus meathead/fatty slugfest, it'll get boring pretty fast.
>>
>>22860
as opposed to 135 lbers dancing around and hugging never knocking anyone out?
>>
>>22434
I hope some russian or japanese promotion does some shit like this. 3 mighty mouses vs 1 sumo.
>>
>>22434
>>23067
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_TkJcMZm6s
>>
>>22841
I coach BJJ and we got a guy who used to be in the NBA training for his first NBA fight. Dude is fucking massive. You guys have no idea. Sure I'm all over him doing BJJ, but I wouldn't want to try to wrestle him and he's not going full him because he knows he's fucking massive and could hurt someone. But fucking striking with a dude that large?
>>
>>23143
lmao meant to say first MMA fight. I've also seen other really good BJJ guys be all over large people, even one of my training partners who I think was only a purple belt at the time all over someone who almost beat Fedor in his prime.
>>
>>16233
heavyweight wrestlers would dominate. add a bit of striking and they are unbeatable. a middleweight has the potential to beat a heavyweight in striking only fights, but a bigger guy can easily ragdoll a guy 50 or more pounds lighter than him. stipe is a good example of how a well rounded small heavyweight is peak.
>>
>>22434
guys that large have already fought in pride. they get dominated by normal sized heavyweights. they are TOO big to be agile.
>>
>>20688
Hong Man Choi would be unstoppable if he had a wrestling base. I feel bad for guys like him getting embarassed by normal men because his body is actually regressive in terms of physicality. He moves so slow I feel like I could literally touch his chin and I don't even train.
>>
>>23067
Id like to see tag team mma
>>
Literally the 2006 Pride Grand Prix
>>
>>23262
Actual intro videos from the event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJuxVpnb3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfREcEW7iHA

SOVL
>>
>>23152
I'm saying that top-level giant athletes were involved in other sports.
Bob Sapp was a decent athlete for a 350 lb man but he was no Shaq.
>>
>>16246
An open weight class would just get dominated by heavyweights eventually. Should make heavyweight open, no reason to make guys cut down to 165, imagine how insanely big someone the height of Volkov could get if he didn't have to cut down.
>>
>>16450
yes and your glorious 1000 folded blade katana is superior to the pathetic iron broadsword
>>
>>23265
>tfw we'll never ever get another PRIDE

Rizin is fun, but it will never have the hype
>>
>>24237
Shut up schizo
>>
>>23289
sapp is "athletic" but still slower than most heavyweights. all you gotta do is touch a chin or hold someone down with technique.
>>
>>20739
Bob Sapp looked like he had skills, bro
>>
>>20688
It's so funny seeing Hong fight normal-sized people. Looks like a video game character with the height slider jacked up all the way up
>>
>>24330
>>26635
No! Sapp was a roided out freak show who would throw enormous, clubbing punches for 20 seconds before gassing out completely. He had neither skills nor athleticism. He was the perfect Goliath for the crazy japanese era of mma.
>>
>>29470
Sapp definitely didn't have skills. He had explosiveness but no cardio, whether or not that counts as athletic is debatable. That being said, he beat Hoost twice, and while the second one is somewhat controversial the first wasn't. Beating up one of the greatest HW kickboxers ever in kickboxing rules is a pretty significant accomplishment.
>>
>>29472
Oh I agree. I just think Sapp is the classic example of raw brute strength. He beat hoost because he had 100 more lbs of muscle mass. He had about as much finesse as kimbo slice. And lets be honest, while a big dude, he was only the scary gorilla monster because of roids. Clean Bob Sapp is probably a huge fatass who would have as much success as Akibono. Historically, big dudes with no gas tank have gotten absolutely whipped in mma. Sapp was, for a time, the exception.
>>
which current ufc fighter do you guys think would absolutely dominate in an open weight class. Francis seems to be the only one that really comes to mind and actually looks like he can pack on way more mass than he currently has.
>>
This already happened in the early days of UFC, what happened was that guys in the MW/LHW division dominated.
>>
>>16450
Sorry bro karate guys hard counter sumos

https://youtu.be/1PDOkrpHPE0

https://youtu.be/nQtemIenEsA

Thankfully Lyoto Machida used both
>>
>>31158
sumuu and juduu
>>
>>31158
idk I think someone like hakuho would stomp ass
>>
>>17747
>Did Sumo kill JMMA
Yes. Not just in the public eye, but literally. Sumo wrestlers would raid MMA training camps in their full wrestling gear armed with traditional martial arts weapons and murder the modern fighters. The police refused to arrest tham and the state refused to prosecute them because of their Samurai blood, and eventually, the filthy MMA fighters realised the folly of their gaijin style, and of ever trying to improve themselves, and accepted their places as peasants. Osu.
>>
>>31173
akebono was a yokozuna and he was a terrible mma fighter. i think sumo is just dogshit as a base for mma.
>>
>>32881
Akebono came to MMA as an old man with a million injuries from sumo and a style that did not translate to MMA at all. He basically sized-mogged people and pushed them out. Sumo is far from an ideal base, but I don't think people give it a fair look. Get past the pushing and slapping and it's essentially Greco-Roman wrestling.
>>
How many Demetrious Johnsons do you guys think it would be needed to submit/knockout Stefan Struve? I think it would be arround 4 if they are just dropped in the ring without time to make a plan.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.