[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>watching The Alpinist
>movie about free solo climbing
>introduces a bunch of famous free solo climbers at the beginning
>ALL of them died climbing
>the two climbers the movie is about died climbing

this sport is ridiculous. EVERYONE who made a name for themselves in it fucking died due to climbing aside from Alex Honnold

Why would anyone do this?
>>
Wow
In the movie it said half of the leading solo climbers died in the mountains
>>
>>137449

The psychology is a bit complicated. Combination of achievement hunting, adrenaline addiction, erosion of what constitutes acceptable risk, erosion of ego in the face of nature's majesty, and I think there is a certain amount of marijuana use involved too - common in sports where physical pain and the potential for injury are normal. It's not like rock climbing gyms churn these people out in large numbers, the ones that end up in movies are the outliers.
>>
>>137491
I feel like indoor climbing and outdoor climbing have vastly different communities and only superficial overlap

indoor bouldering / climbing is closely associated with techbro culture, while outdoor is literally the opposite of that
>>
>suicide by lifestyle
not a horrible way to go i guess. someone has to try the mushrooms
>>
>>137495
>I feel like indoor climbing and outdoor climbing have vastly different communities and only superficial overlap

Sure. My point is just that if you want to find people who are willing to do something completely crazy you start with a large group of people willing to do something a little crazy, gradually train and indoctrinate them, then select for the ones that fit your criteria. E.g. if you want someone who will repeatedly HALO jum p at night into a hostile battlefield with a backpack full of explosives you start by finding a whole bunch of people willing to do a bit of skydiving.
>>
>>137449
it's called the Faustian Spirit brah.
>>
>>137449
>Why would anyone do this?
It's worse to live a boring life than to die an exciting death
>>
>>137613
Right? Let them do what they want as long as they are not hurting anyone.
I bet they feel like a god when they successfully finish a very hard free climb.
>>
>>137449
Why are they all white, too?
>>
>>137449
What is a bit interesting about the subject of The Alpinist is that when he died he was doing all the "correct" stuff when climbing.
He went with another person rather than by himself. Pretty sure he was mountaineering rather than free climbing.
I think the kind of person who will free solo will also do a bunch of other dangerous shit in their life.
>>
how do these mad lads rappel down when solo mountaineering? i can't see a way unless a) there is already fixed equipment in place or b) they leave their hardware behind
>>
preferred setup is probably something like this. pulling left is fixed as the knot blocks and pulling right retrieves rope or using a small pull cord
>>
forgot rel pic
>>
>>137799
Exactly that, fixed bolts or leave gear in situ. If you can find the right sort of rock formation you can avoid leaving expensive gear and leave cheap cord looped around the rock. They’ll carry a rope up in their bag to use to abseil, it can also be used to rope solo really difficult sections.
>>
>>137449
Dumb rich white people with nothing better to do. They could just walk around the hood and get the same thrill.
>>
>>137690
>>>>>>>137514
>>
>solo climber spends years even decades doing hard sends and surviving
>dies climbing with a partner
many such cases, what causes this phenomenon?
>>
>>137449
Because they're all too fucking arrogant and think that it won't happen to them. Same thing goes for those BASE jumping wingsuit weirdo's.
>>
>>137449
>EVERYONE who made a name for themselves in it fucking died due to climbing aside from Alex Honnold
If this is considered a legitimate sport even though it has an almost 100% mortality rate then UFC should have fights to the death.
>>
>>138055
perhaps the free solo makes you more aware of the risk so you put in more effort to stay alive.
but i suspect people spend more time roped climbing which distorts the numbers
i also suspect that your impression is just an impression, no statistic
>>
>>138367
so i took "Free solo climbing#Practitioners" wikipedia article and researched the circumstances of death

died free solo (5):
> John Bachar, Derek Hersey, Jimmy Jewell, Paul Preuss, Tobin Sorenson

died during other climbing (3):
> Hansjörg Auer (an avalanche), Brad Gobright (an abseiling accident), Marc-André Leclerc (an avalanche)

died in other way (5):
> Michael Reardon (swept by a sea wave), Wolfgang Güllich (a car accident), Patrick Edlinger (fell from stairs), Dan Osman (a "jump tower" accident), Dean Potter (a wingsuit accident)

never died (11):
> Alex Honnold, Alexander Huber, Alain Robert, Catherine Destivelle, Antoine Le Menestrel, Peter Croft, Ron Fawcett, Dan Goodwin, Colin Haley, John Long, Dave MacLeod

dunno what to take of it
>>
File: Paul_Preuß1.jpg (45 KB, 479x599)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>138368
also:
> Preuss often climbed alone because he believed soloing to be safer; only his own life was at stake. He wasn't willing to risk the lives of his belayers on difficult routes.

> In 1912, he witnessed the well-known British mountaineer H. O. Jones, Jones's new wife Muriel Edwards, and their guide Julius Truffer fall to their death on the Aiguille Rouge de Peuterey. Preuss, who was unroped and scouting, returned only to watch Truffer fall due to a broken hold, taking the rest of the party with him.
>>
>>138332
totally agree. Also Colosseum style fighting against large animals like lions and bears should come back.

Spain still has running with the bulls so why not?
>>
>>
File: 1651156371820131.jpg (139 KB, 602x950)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>138368
>Catherine Destivelle
she cute
>>
>>137491
>and I think there is a certain amount of marijuana use involved too
Always thought Honnold looks stoned af
>>
>>137449
they have a hunger that must be satiated
>>
>>137449
you pussy?
>>
>>140301
idk might also be the thousands of hours of training and the confidence it gives him
>>
>>137799
You use natural anchors. Only leave behind some shit like webbing. If you are on ice, you build a V-thread with an ice screw and rappel off that.
>>
>>140276
Nice bush bro
>>
>>137495
techbro bjj and bouldering lifestyle is so fucking faggoty
>>
>>138055
There's plenty of accident databases online and full and detailed accident reports. You should look them up, they're very interesting.
Often it's a small lapse in judgement anyone could do, like not properly checking natural anchors before rapelling off it or trusting earlier placed gear. Sometimes it's freak chances
>>
File: 1593968755614.png (219 KB, 783x615)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>137449
There's a specific genetic disposition for taking yourself out of the gene pool. Sometimes it works. If they weren't free soloists, they'd be stunt men, or freelance operators, anything that produces extreme emotions through risk taking. It's just nature in the end.
>>
>>137449
Climbing is generally pretty safe if you are experienced and climbing with gear. Free soloing is stupid. Borderline suicidal. I climb up to 6 days a week inside and out and the only person I’ve ever met who even claimed to have free soloed anything was some weak retarded woman who couldn’t do over a v3 bouldering
>>
As someone who enjoys free soloing I’ll thrown in my two cents. I used to do it a lot. I can climb 1-2,000 feet of climbing in the time it takes many parties to climb 1-2 pitches roped. Big solo days might include 6000 ft of climbing, and likely a ton of running as well. The allure is in moving places FAST with no gear or partner to slow you down. Pure flow state. I’ve done some huge C2C trail running/climbing linkups that are among my most fun days climbing. Also, sometimes speed is safety in the mountains. In horrendous loose choss, a rope is a liability and soloing becomes safer even with a partner and gear available. I began soloing on the short easy routes that I learned to climb on, and depending on the rock type and my fitness I will still onsight solo between 5.7-5.9. I don’t solo much harder than 5.9, unless the crux is near the ground or a large enough ledge to stick in the event of a fall. I may only be a mid-5.12 climber, but have climbed outdoors for over a decade and have thousands of hours of experience across all climbing disciplines including esoteric things like big wall solo speed climbing. After losing several friends in roped climbing accidents I have dialed back the soloing a ton, and now I (mostly) only solo on “special occasions”. Solo mindset is a great ability for getting out of a pickle when roped climbing, if you’re rappelling and your rope gets stuck, if you find yourself off route, if you’re severely runout, or in other “no fall” situations. Definitely not for everyone, but it is a natural extension of some climbing careers that is not inherently a death wish.
>>
>>137449
Gotta do what you gotta do. Some don't really feel alive unless they have this. Expedition climbers also have a pretty brutal mortality rate. Talking about the guys who go for some or all of the 8k peaks.
>>
>>143606
One of Satan's minions?
>>
>>137449
most of us don't free solo
it's a performance art
desu its gay and dangerous
gayer than comp bouldering
>>
>>137449
use a rope like a white man
>>
>>143606
>claims to climb 10-20x faster than a lead climber
Damn bro wanna know how I can tell that you're full of shit, or doing basic rock scrambles and trying to talk tough at most?
>>
>>137449
Alex Honnold will die also, soon. Then, I will take his blonde wife for my enjoyment.
>>
No pics of them smashed to pieces ? That's a bit disappointing
>>
>>140276
wow that's erotic, you can't see anything like that nowadays
>>
>>143281
this is how I play every single video game
>>
>>146410
>tfw risk averse cuck
>>
>>137449
Amazing people some people smoke or drink, drugs imagin a slow death or a life of enjoyment ware you never get old have to worry about retirement and you confront fear and death dayly and win. It's the quality of life not the quantity, fore some people. I tip my glass in salute to the people doing the impossible, may we all climb in heaven or in hell my friends.
>>
>>137491
Uncle was a legendary climber back in the day (died climbing)...the sport is basically synonymous with Marijuana use
>>
>>143887
It is the opposite of a performance art. Most people who free solo never talk about it.

It is also pretty common in alpine climbing. There is generally a pretty big disconnect between people who think of climbing as gyms and sport routes and people who think of climbing as going out into the mountains and climbing peaks.
>>
>>137799
Read Down by Andy Kirkpatrick
>>
>>144420
>Then, I will take his blonde wife for my enjoyment.

she's a clout chaser and boring at that
>>
>>147671
Yeah but in alpine climbing they solo like 3s (YDS), exactly because they think of it as climbing peaks, so they find the easiest possible route. If anything free soloing hard routes is the exact opposite mentality, you're intentionally doing something ridiculously dangerous.
>>
>>138368
Worth noting that Croft said John Bachar died from rockfall, not free soloing in and of itself. He would have died roped.
>>
>>138368

There's also Pete Whittaker who is actively free solo climbing and still alive.

>>137491

> (...) and I think there is a certain amount of marijuana use involved too - common in sports where physical pain and the potential for injury are normal.

I confirm, I'm a climber and downhill racer and I smoke a shit ton of weed. A lot of my friends who climb and ride also smoke - it's just the way it is.
>>
what’s wrong with dying doing what you love? nothing, to me
>>
>>137449
he's just too good
>>
>>150860
>There's also Pete Whittaker who is actively free solo climbing and still alive.
Pete is my favorite to be honest. He's extremely humble and seems like a fun guy despite being the monster he is.
The man is made out of 99% grit and cheerful as fuck despite that. You can tell he love what he does.
>>
>>138332
>100% mortality rate then UFC should have fights to the death.
This is the next logical step for BKFC to grow its numbers. If StreetBeefs could also consider this it would remove a few retards from the gene pool
>>
>>137449
No idea how people do this without a rope or something to catch their fall. Insane sport right here
>>
>>137449
That shit is scary
>>
>>144420
I dunno, I think he has some sort of autism super powers or something
>>
>>138055
I think Messner said something about this at some point. I don't remember the quote. It was one part of the reason he did most of his stuff solo. Probably he came to that conclusion after his brother died when they were trying to climb Nanga Parbat.
>>
>>152893
The subject of the movie, Marc-Andre Leclerc, is another level beyond free soloists in general. This guy ice climbs free solo. It's nuts. This is extra risk because ice can break in unpredictable ways. It's not like a solid rock formation at all. Then you add variable weather to the mix in these high altitudes. I understand guys like Honnold to some degree, and Messner (solo expedition climbing) but not Leclerc. I suppose everybody has a line somewhere and mine may as well be as arbitrary as any other. It's soft suicidal behavior. On the same token, some of these guys would be junkies living on the street if they didn't do this instead.
>>
>>153208
>climbs
climbed. rip.
>>
>>137449
I wanna climb
>>
>>137449
Sure fine ok.
>>
I dunno, i couldn't do it i hate heights. Just watching those urban climbers on skyscrapers makes my palms sweat.
>>
>>137449
im watching The Alpinist right now. Thanks for the recommendation. But my god during the climbing scenes my palms get so sweaty every time and even my feet. I'm gonna have to skip those scenes lol
>>
>>137449
I agree its ridiculous. The only other sports comparing to it are Isle of Man motorcycling and cave diving.
>>
>>138055
maybe his partner hit a chunk of ice or rock onto him?
>>
>>137449
damn Marc Andre was a one of a kind guy. He literally didn't a fuck about the movie they were making about him. Its like he only lived to climb solo.
>>
>>137449
What
>>
>>155197
>Isle of Man motorcycling
I used to go to TT regularly and I’ve saw someone die in front of me when they crashed. There’s just something about it, it’s like racing around the island and yet it’s so deceptive and the island just isn’t made for racing. I’d camp with friends just to see this. Haven’t been in 8 years
>>
Watching the Alpinist made me think back to when I was really into Crusader Kings 2. When I wasn't playing ironman I would struggle all the time and make stupid decisions that caused me to have to reload over and over again to get the desired outcome. When I was playing ironman I would play far more efficiently and find ways to recover from any error. I could do things in ironman that was never able to do when savescumming.

There's like a switch in the brain. When you know that you can't mess up, you simply perform better. I think that's the essence of solo climbing. It elevates the climber to a skill level they could not possibly attain unless they were soloing.
>>
>>153208
>>158317
There's something to this. Leclerc was very skilled. It wasn't like he was just goofing around and could die any minute. He was super in tune with whatever he was climbing. He didn't even die free soling as others have said.
When people talk to free soloists about the danger they just scoff. Maybe it's delusion but I don't think they feel like they're in danger when they're doing it. To a high degree they know what they're doing because the skill and focus are there.
>>
File: 1685232130956-1.png (33 KB, 554x772)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>138368
>fell from stairs
>>
>>138370
He cut them and let them drop didn't he?
>>
>>137449
Even regular climbing is fucking retarded. I'm an indoor pleb that occasionally goes outside and today at my gym like 6~ hours ago somebody decked 55 feet and fucking died because they didn't tie in properly on top rope.

In bouldering, even if your gym has great mats, you're repeatedly falling 10+ feet and destroying your knees. Your fingers aren't made to crimp super tiny holds and you'll eventually destroy them. How many climbers do you know who climb hard and have never gotten finger injuries? Then you cram your feet into stupid ass shoes two sizes too small and completely destroy your feet as well.

Even if you never had any big incidents climbing, just climbing itself will fuck your body up.
>>
>>143281
>freelance operators,
?? whats that? I googled it and it showed me a bunch of IT jobs
>>
>>144420
Honnold is a genetic freak. 1 out of billions. He will die of old age or tripping down the stairs or something.
>>
>>158998
Mercenaries
>>
>>158543
always downclimb when bouldering
it's so stupid to take the full impact of a 10 foot fall everytime (even if you're really only falling like 5 foot)
the shoes definitely fuck up your feet if you keep them on for too long
>>
>>160456
>not practicing your rolls and breakfalls
>not pushing your body to develop Dom Tomato tier impact cushions
ngmi
>>
>>137682
One fell on my granddad and killed him instantly
>>
>>143281
how come these guys usually have kids though. also it doesn't make sense for the most brave of a species to also have a self destruct mechanism, that would only leave weak pussies left
>>
>>160790
Sometimes being brave (to a fault, even) can confer MASSIVE advantages. Most of the time it’s just hubris.
As long as being a reckless bastard pays off every once in a while, these types of people aren’t going anywhere.
>>
>>160790
>>160797
That is to say, the “bravery” is what kills them. It’s not some separate attribute.
>>
>>158543
So you think climbing is retarded and yet you still do it. Are you retarded?
>>
>>160561
You are going to look retarded slapping the ground and rolling around. Nobody does it and you don't really have anything to worry about damaging your knees by falling 2 meters onto a soft mat.
>>
Some people have different beliefs, religious values some people just don’t have a fear of death. I never got it at all it feels like a pre-programmed thing like you’re supposed to be afraid of it. It’s natural selection humans are capable of overcoming primal fears with our brainpower.

Real humans have potential to be great leaders re-write history. Npc’s are scared of their genes not getting passed down.

Be a real fearless leader and get your own page in a history book or be an npc with no name. The inherent risk of completely re-writing the status que and overcoming natural selections shortcomings is baked into our genes.
The people who took the mayflower to America have like 35 million descendants or something. They have their own portion in the genepool because those few families were not pussies and slaves to their fears. Humans are greater then our desire to be npc’s.
>>
The idea that humans won’t do something dangerous is making humanity the same as our current ai. Naturally selected humans have much more potential to change than robots even if most end up as no name npc’s. Success of single individuals who survived humanities countless genocides can attest that. We go through periods of war, starvation and empires fall and regrow else-were. Genghis Khan killed like what 11% of the population in that time? The survivors of any conflict go on to reproduce in higher quantities than those who came before because the lands are now barren. Right now it’s most effective to be an npc but if the current system ever collapses the fearless will rise as they do during humanity's many collapses. Our genes have a set failure rate that repopulate entire continents when they succeed. Humanity I believe is filled with obscure people who defy all odds stereotypes or even basic functions of successful organisms. Never forget it.

I believe most people are too close minded and never encounter the truly marvelous people due to a failure to deviate from the norm. When you meet someone like gus from breaking bad in the skin it will change your world view slowly as these people do exist everywhere hiding in plain sight.
>>
>>161091
>Real humans have potential to be great leaders re-write history. Npc’s are scared of their genes not getting passed down.
>>
>>144324
90-95% of big walling is messing with ropes and equipment, his numbers add up.
Eg. Alex Honnold did El Cap in 4 hours, it can take a team 3-4 days with gear.
>>
>>137449
wait till you get into base jumping
>>
>>140301
ironically Alex Honnold doesn't do alcohol or drugs, he is just autistic
>>
>>144420
nah, Honnold has the same autistic energy as Messner, he will die of old age
>>
File: 1671475178606057.jpg (315 KB, 800x800)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>137449
Because you get to die?
>>
>>138055
He died in an avalanche (watch the movie it’s awesome). Mountaineers call this “exposure time”, even if you do everything perfect there is a random change of death in the high places of the world, you can’t make it 100% safe. The more “time” you spend “exposed” the greater your chances of experiencing one of these random death events.
>>
>>162391
By random death event I mean an avalanche falling on you in a place you have to cross without anytime to escape
>>
>>140301
Just the tism. People have said I look like that too
>>
>>137500
>>137613
/thread
>>
>>161091
I dont think you understand how genetics work...
Take most groups of a few dozen from 400 years ago and they'll have a few million descendants.
>>
>>137449
it allows one to live in the NOW, forgetting everything and everyone, alone with creation itself, time slows, scents become more powerful, colors brighter, the ego mind goes quiet, this is why people climb, and it must end in a fall, it will not stop otherwise, unless one is able to transfer the "life on the edge" with another similar idea, but that too, must end in death. there must be consequences, serious ones, to entire this state of NOW, and its the most addictive thing in the world, and may be the real reason we are here. since death is just another waking up, it means nothing, we fear the loss of the idea of who think we are, which requires a lot of mental thinking, the one thing sports like this are able to stop, because we can not die. we just wake up again and think "weird dream".
>>
>>144420
Last I heard he stopped free soloing after his kid was born. His wife is also a massive groupie
>>
>>161108
Dean was such a legend. Inspired me to start climbing and now I'm just now getting into wingsuiting after getting my C license. RIP to a real one
>>
>>137449
Peter Croft is still alive.
John Bacchar died free soloing but it's likely that he died from rockfall (that would have killed him if he were roped)
Free soloing is still dumb, though.
>>
>>138065
Because they aré confident in their abilities to acess the Situation, have the peace of mind to accept death at any moment, no matter how stupid the cause, AND they have guts, something anon AND His lineage Will never have.

Anon you just jealaous they can fly AND you dont, because you aré a slave to keeping yourself alive, no matter how mundane or boring your current life Is.
>>
>>137690
What a shame more blacks don't fall to their deaths in pursuit of trophyless achievement
>>
>>160602
What, a climber?
>>
>>138332
>Bill Hick - Revelations
>'give the audience guns'
He knew the end game all along.
>>
>>149048

yeah

>hmmmm you are a world famous free soloer and I am a nobody. here's my number oops I dropped you lol
>>
File: 1696629070923851.png (619 KB, 1041x765)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
>>137449
they're even deader inside than you
https://web.musc.edu/about/news-center/2019/03/18/how-a-neuroscientist-and-professional-climber-learned-from-one-another
>>
>>137491
and autism!
>>
>>137500
>not a horrible way to go i guess
Absolute terror as you fall down...
>>
>>145884
Bump.
Interested.
>>
>>175904
Is it? I'd assume the initial slip is the terror, but once you fell, you'd have that peace of mind as you go, "Whelp, this is it. Here it comes...." and then just enjoy the rest of the ride.
>>
>>174634
Alex looks chill most of the time, probably has some acoustic peaks that only his close friends and wife get to see.
>>
>>137682
>Let them do what they want as long as they are not hurting anyone.
Nobody is stopping them you stupid faggot.
>>
>>174634
That makes sense
>>176716
True, but I imagine it hurts at the bottom hahaha
>>
File: he was happy.jpg (101 KB, 607x636)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>178717
>>176716
>>137500
>>
>>178717
depends how you land. if you land in a way that doesn't bounce your head off the ground, there's a good chance you could be there in a broken mess for hours and hours. they say that people jumping out of the towers on 9/11 were mostly dying of blood loss after their legs shattered, not just instantly dying as they hit the pavement
>>
>>166631
Honnold still soloes all the time. He regularly posts pictures on Instagram soloing with friends in red rocks. Hell, he did the HURT last year and that was 20k+ feet of solo climbing in 32 hours. Also his wife climbs 5.13.
>>
>>167194
>AND they have guts
>muh guts
If you really had guts then you'd start a revolution, not jump with a wingsuit and break your bones like a moron
I bet you think cutting off your dick is an act of bravery
>>
hi, im just testing the captcha thing so if this posts, cool!
>>
>>137900
The hood is just depressing not exciting.
>>
>>137449
You planning on living forever?
>>
>>180885
There are mountain climbers who can retire but not sure if any free climber with that much skill made it there. Alpinist was going to take a tumble and he knew it, those are free spirited people. His life was beautiful and his death
painless, that is mastery of life.
>>
>>138368
>Patrick Edlinger (fell from stairs)
heh
>>
>>174634
ripping down groomers at retarded speeds is the only thing that makes me feel alive THOUGH
>>
>>163259
>death means nothing
Yes in most cases. But in this one it means indirect suicide, which is always bad.
You will wake up, but with the taste of regret of not having completed what you meant to. Unless you did everything recommended but random events still got you, then I think it's fine, traumatic event aside.
>>
>>176716
For years I've had this recurring dream where I fall off very high places. There are always multiple falls in one dream, and each of them occurs in a different sort of scenario. Once I fell off a waterfall, another time I fell off an airplane, but perhaps the strangest one was a dream where I was waterskiing with a carpet and ended up falling off an enormous wave.
I'm terrified during the first falls in a night and always teleport to another scenario just when I'm about to hit the ground or the sea or whatever. However, in the last scenario, which usually comes after a few falls, I manage to make peace with my inevitable death during the fall and wake up just as I'm about to die.
>>
>>137449
None of them died free soloing though.
>>
>>158543
How many [insert sport doers] do you know who [insert sport] hard and have never gotten [insert sport specific body part] injuries?

Thanks for this insightful post
>>
>>137491
i grow weed and smoke it every day and i would never in my life attempt free soloing, unless it was deep water soloing.
>>
>>160888
>look retarded
who is looking at you?
>>
>>182175
It's not a recurring dream for me, but I can relate. I've had a good few dreams where I've fell massive heights, and after the oh shit moment, I've always been quite peaceful and accepting of my fate when falling.
Honestly, I think if I fell a great height while climbing, I'd be laughing at my own hubris on the way down
>>
>>137449
watched it last night. leclerc obviously was unironically retarded. you can identify that from the photos and videos of him as a kid, and his dumbass mother who said he was "ADHD." he was the product of a retarded generation of canadian gen x parenting, in a hippie province (BC) nonetheless, with heavy drug abuse likely giving him lasting brain damage on top of all that. girlfriend was a fucking retard too. sad movie still. wish climbers would stop killing themselves over flash in the pan stunts.
btw i think alex was wrong when he made the distinction "if you die, people think ur an idiot, if you succeed, people celebrate u." only red bull and a handful of climbing websites and extreme sports corporations celebrate successful free-solo-climbers (oh, and teenagers i guess). any adult with a modicum of responsibility sees it for what it is, selfish thrill seeking. free solo hippies are literally just taking the bait from red bull sponsorships. the irony.
>>
>>189000
Read his blog. He's obviously an intelligent person.
https://marcleclerc.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-visit-with-emperor-mt-robson-infinite.html?m=1

Very very few free soloists are sponsored. Seriously, is there a single other sponsored athlete that regularly free solos?
>>
>>189008
>a blog
>intelligent
sorry dude it's written at a 5th grade reading level.
>>
>>189024
You said he was unironically retarded, which is plainly false. I don't deny that he thought differently than most people, but he wasn't stupid.

Also, he was one of a kind. If his ability could be explained by having hippie parents and taking LSD then I expect there would be more than one person every three generations willing to do the things he did.
>>
>>189046
>thought differently
holy fuck am i posting on reddit.com?
>>
>>189050
Perhaps you are the one who's unironically retarded.
>>
>>153208
is it weird that I feel safer and more confident on ice than rock?
>>
>>137818
Yeah, they really did forget that
>>
>>137491
I heard a story about a group sport climbing
>Everyone in the group is high
>Girl gets to top anchor
>Starts descending NO ONE ON BELAY
>Rope is flying up from rope bag
>Close by climber JUMPS on the rope coil
>SAVES HER

>They get married

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.