[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: roller blading.gif (1.81 MB, 466x313)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
Roller blading and roller skating general
>Don't do crack, just roller skate edition
https://youtu.be/t0LSkX46dS4
Discuss tricks, gear, hobbies, and anything else relating to rolling. Derby and hockey fans are welcome to join as well.
>>
What are the main disciplines of skating besides aggressive and slalom? I’m not interested in either of those. Also I just mastered the power slide what should I work on next?
>>
>>128837
As far as disciplines go, there's urban, downhill, and Wizard skating. I would practice magic slide or parallel slide next. Although it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and learn switch power slide next and get comfortable doing it both ways.
>>
35 year old boomer here. I went roller skating for a birthday parter with a friend and really enjoyed it. Anyone have any good beginner blades around 100 bucks? I’ll probably mostly be skating around my neighborhood.
>>
>>130115
Oxelo MF skates are probably the best at your price point
>>
>>127374
What are some martial arts I can use when rollerblading and I need a quick getaway?
>>
File: monster_rancher_genki.jpg (19 KB, 704x480)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>130122
watch Monster Rancher and copy Genki's moves
>>
>>130122
Learn nunchaku whilst rollerblading
>>
>want to get into skating
>turns out it's disallowed to ride on the road
>while my town has narrow sidewalks in most places
>cannot even go fast
GAY.
It's freshly included law on top of that, so coppers might be zealous about enforcing it.
>>
>>131036
that is extremely fr*cking gay but I encourage you to not give up and get into the hobby. Surely there are skate rinks or skate parks nearby that you can go to?
>>
>>131230
There is tiny one in my town, but I suppose mostly kids use, not to mention there is just a rough patch leading to it, so I won't be able to comfortably ride there, I think.
The new law was caused by idiots and kids getting into e-scooters and causing accidents, so maybe cops won't look much at me skating around. For now I might stick to the weekends and evenings when there is smaller traffic.
>>
Ok, I followed anon's advice he was giving to other anon and I got myself Oxelo MF500 skates.
Thing is, do these skates break-in, size-wise? They feel quite tight right now.
>>
>>131439
PS. I might have picked a half or one European size too small. I want to try breaking them in in two next days and then consider trying to change them.
>>
>>131440
not him but i think if you're getting hardshell boots it's best to get them a size or two bigger than what your regular shoe size is,dont know how big your feet are though
>>
>>131441
>dont know how big your feet are though
I thought I have 44 because I usually took more loose-feeling shoes, but apparently my true size might be 45.
What a bother.
>>
>>131442
i think inline warehouse has a lot bigger size hardshell boot skates,dont know what your price range is though
>>
>>131443
I want to focus on Oxelo MF500 because this is what I bought. I'm just hoping I will be able to exchange for a bit larger.
>>
>>131444
I think I will be able to just send back the inlines I got and order a size larger. Probably could find a better method, but fuck it.
>>
Are (new) wheels supposed to have that "sticky" feel to them? It seems to greatly make things like T-Stop more difficult to pull off because they pretty much grab onto the floor.
>>
>>128964
You will break a leg all my friends did walk around on carpet or on dirt fore 2 weeks first to build up your ankil strength before scating on pavement it's always the new skaters how bust thair ass the first month and go to the emergency room.
>>
>>128837
I'd recommend on the side to practice jumps, just small hops, with protection of course. And skating backwards. I've been skating really seriously (about three hours five days a week) for like five years now and it sucks to be super balanced and flexible and able to do a lot of advanced tricks and have a really nice flow but be super weak at the basics.
>>
>>131439
I just learned that wheels on those are pretty damn soft.
Well, fuck. I hope changing the wheels won't be expensive.
>>
>>131439
They do break in. The ideal size should feel pretty tight around your feet initially

>>131441
This is terrible advice. If you want your skates to be less responsive and have your feet be fucking moving around inside your skates and get chafed to hell, by all means get a size bigger than your normal shoe size.

>>131586
Check the hardness when you buy wheels, you might've just bought wheels with a low hardness grade, which means more grip.
>>
>>127374
I want an older styal of skates >>127374
I watched a black and white video of what looked like ice scates with two big 12 inch wheels one on the front and one on the back I was most impressed thay traveled over gravel and dirt I'm thinking I could improve the design. I loved to rollerblade back in the day but the local roads are cracked I need a smoother ride any idea ware I can buy a set with the huge wheels.
>>
>>132681
You don't want an older style of skates. There's a reason they got replaced by inline. You want a big wheeled inline skate. Places to buy them depends on where you live, and I'm guessing it ain't an English speaking country.
>>
>>127374
Bros I'm probably going to buy some blades for this summer. Do I need to worry about the boots having good ankle stability? I can ice skate pretty well (forward crossovers, transitioning between forwards/backwards, hockey stops) so my ankles aren't total shit. I know you can buy hockey roller skates but I kinda wanna style too :^)
>>
>>133124
Skates with good ankle support are still recommended if you wanna style during rides. The added degree of control and manoeuvrability will do you good. Look into freeride/freestyle skates, they're probably exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>132658
I went by default size I usually go for should be fine, it worst case I will just get thicker socks.
Wheels came with the rollerblades, but maybe I will manage. There is no weather to try them out much, tho.
>>
>>131744
What do flow and basics mean to you? I don’t understand how you can have good balance, good flow, ability to do advanced tricks, all while being super weak at basics. What basics?
>>
>>134018
If they're genuinely too big thick socks won't save you. I'd suggest trying an indoor rink or something if that's an option for you, you wanna give them a test run without voiding your right to return. If your heels are lifting noticeably no matter how tight you put on your skates, send them back immediately. And yeah, fall and winter used to be my favorite seasons but ever since I picked up inline skating I fucking hate them because I can barely go out to skate. Thank god we've had a spell of dry and sunny weather recently because I was genuinely going fucking bonkers.
>>
>>128964
How do you like those endless frames? I'm thinking of getting some of their 110/125s to fix the retarded frame placement of my RB 110 3WDs (in size US 14, rear axle is like under the middle of my heel).

Having trouble deciding between that or the NN Sumo. 3x125 would be fun though, would have gotten that setup in the first place if I didn't need the wide ass RB boot.
Any issues with durability with the axles going in those little tabs instead of being solid like the NN or Wizard frames?
>>
>>131036
Go at night and dgaf
>>
How do you like to skate? Anyone like skate dancing?
>>
>>136490
I usually just try to go fast and for a long distance, but that may just be because I'm not really good at all the other stuff lol.
>>
>>136549
Sounds fun. I just saw this amazing dance performance and got inspired. https://youtu.be/IVbFdj5Rczc
>>
I’ve only ever skated on rockered 4x80s but seriously want to try 3x100s or 3x110s. How do they compare? And can anyone recommend any quality skates that won’t bankrupt me? I do urban freestyle
>>
>>136651
FR1 is pretty solid apparently.
>>
File: 1670507199878887.gif (1 MB, 1295x864)
1 MB
1 MB GIF
>>136349
Endless are amazing, I have both the 84 and the ARC frames, and ridden the 100 as well. Endless frames are all amazing, and designed and machined by someone that both knows what he's doing and how the frame needs to perform. I don't use the triskate config, but the "4xwhatever frame you get" setup with the natural rocker is perfect for both Wizard skating and urban skating. For your foot size, the 110 would be good for wizard skating, but if you want them for fitness/urban, I would get the 100 RB instead. Wheelbase performs better for handling, and the 100 can usually fit 125 triskate setup, especially if you make a small wheel well in your boot for the front and rear wheels. NN frames are too tall, period, they didn't get the wheel clearance tight enough on UFS or 165 versions of any of their frames. The design is great for that, if you don't mind your ride height being a half inch taller than it should be, go for NN.
>>
>>136651
Any of the FR boots (FR1, FR2, FR3, FRX, UFR if you get UFS frames)
RB Twister if you have narrow feet
RB Cruiser if you have wide feet
Flying Eagle or Micro MT Plus if you have less than $200 to spend. Would also recommend getting thin liners (Intuition, MyFit 2nd skin) to downsize, almost all urban skates are dual-size shells and fit a size big.
>>
Ordered some FR1s to try skating, should arrive when (hopefully) the snow has melted.
>>
Well I got the FR1s, rollled around a bit on my floor. It felt very natural, and... they look slick as hell(red). Looking forward to getting out there when streets have been swept free of gravel.
>>
You fags need a proper sticky intro with equipment recommendations and basic newbie help.

I'm trying to find a decent budget pair of inline skates for bombing around the back roads on. Bit concerned about quality as there's a lot of hills here and I don't want the wheels to come off going down a hill.
>>
>>138231
That would be cool. I'm also a newbie, but from the research I've done, FR Skates has a good rep. Not very cheap though, but not expensive either.
>>
Skated around a bit more, learned how to brake. This is so fun and easy!
>>
File: IMG-20220825-185851-030.jpg (1.32 MB, 2916x2428)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>138234
While FR is the most expensive out of all the plastic shell freeskates, you're getting the best stock gear combined with durability. The buckles don't break, frames don't warp, the shell won't crack on you or get too floppy over time. If you get the models with Intuition liners, you have the most comfortable fit, and liners that will last for 3-5 years. The Street Invader wheels that the FR1 come with will last as long as Undercover/Hydrogen, even if they aren't as fast, and are unlikely to decore or chunk on you. The only thing I would change is giving the skate waxed hockey-style laces, the FR laces suck. But you have a solid urban skate that you can beat the shit out of for several years without having to worry about replacing anything but the wheels and laces.
>>
>>138374
Waxed laces would be great. This is probably on me, but I already tore one lace a little bit... oops.
>>
Went skating at an inside area today. I learned how to "glide" forwards by twisting my hips, sort of like carving on skiis, and how to skate backwards!
>>
File: 1546206034269.png (593 KB, 800x600)
593 KB
593 KB PNG
>>127374
DMOR, still got a few questions trying to get into this
>1. What should be the rough price point of your first pair (since all the self-help sites are thinly-veiled marketing ploys)
>2. Are back-brakes underrated or is it just me? They don't seem to be comparable to bike stabilisers, as much as they are a way to hardstop with, for turning. Also is it common for only one to have a backbrake, seems counter-intuitive.
>3. Roughly what wheel hardness rating would you want for a 'general'-ly long-term pair? Local park I'm thinking of practicing on has a few terrains, from packed-dirt, to old + beaten concrete, to smooth concrete; so I don't want to be getting soft wheels for roads, only for them to be shit in the 'general' setting I'm going for.
Any general newfag recommendations / tips / resources aside from that? Surprised there isn't a tl;dr rentry doc or something like it.
>>
File: th-3135300284.jpg (25 KB, 474x612)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>139260
>1.
$200-400 should be your aim. You're going to want a hard-shell (full plastic) boot with a supportive cuff and good forward flex. 4x80 setup is ideal 4x90 if you have a size 11 or bigger foot.
>2.
Don't bother with a heel brake, once you're proficient enough at rolling around, you'll be doing t-stops and plow stops anyway. Heel brakes are mostly designed for kids that might be to young to have a stable center of gravity and leg strength to stop any other way. Heel brakes also teach a lot of bad habits that you'll have to unlearn as you progress. Just skip them entirely.
>3.
Wheel hardness is governed more by your preference and your body weight. You don't need to worry about it that much for now, but 84-86a is the all around ideal hardness, as you get better at skating, you may find that you like a harder wheel better. I will say that if you're a heavier guy (200+) you do want wheels in the 85 and up range, and you need to rotate your wheels every session. Clear wheels are an absolute no-no unless you're skating at an indoor rink.
>>
File: 1595632165717.jpg (69 KB, 511x604)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>139339
Thanks a lot bro; I've been thinking of using RS'ing as a way to work on my legs and cardio (home dumbbells only go so far) while giving my dog a bit more to run around with when I take it out, so this sounds great.
>heel brakes are a meme
For going up stairs too? Sorry if I'm sounding stubborn, I'm just thinking it through, and it's just the way my area is like (natural valley that's been built over with a nearby park, so there's as many slaloms as there are stairways, even if I'm going to be sticking to the flat areas at first).
>>
>>139340
>For going up stairs too?
Yeah, that's one of the bad habits I was getting at, being reliant on the brake too much. Get comfortable walking sideways on skates, start in the grass, then on pavement, then small stairs with a handrail. It sounds unintuitive, but it'll come with practice, just like the rest of the sport. I've gotten to the point where I just run up stairs with skates on, if that instills any confidence in you.
>>
>>136335
I wasn't looking in for a quite while. At last had a first training session on the parking lot. Seems pretty okay albeit catheads do worry me.
I will need to order some safety equipment, tho. My area is pretty hilly and there is no bailing on inlines. I will ahve to look up knee sliding techniques or whatever you do if you go too fast, so far I couldn't even begin to comprehend V-braking and I hoped it would give me some chance to handle hills.

>>136474
That's what I'm planning to do. Going out at Saturday/Sunday night sounds comfy.
>>
Are hard boots like the FR1 or Twister XT detrimental to distance skating? (I’m talking 10-20 miles +)
>>
File: IMG_20220524_224737_866.jpg (2.39 MB, 2830x3011)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>>139687
They're not detrimental by any means, but they might not be as optimal. Typically a lighter and lower-cut skate would be ideal for that, with a long-wheelbase 3x110 or 3x125 frame to round it out. That being said, if you aren't looking to set a speed record then a setup like the one in your picture will do just fine. Just make sure your insoles are in good shape and that your laces and straps are done up how you like them beforehand.
>>
wish me luck i'm heat molding my twister XTs... shits hurt my left arch so bad
>>
Second practice session(~1.5h) done.
Been trying to learn to brake, but so far T-stopping either turns me to the side or does jack shit. Powerstop is just a harder turn in my case, but somewhat works if I got room to do it.
Only reliable method is using the brake thingy I got on my skate, but it doesn't work that fast, either.
Fell on my ass trying to turn on pavement while riding down. Got spooked because it's tall compared to road(so falling off it would throw me off-balance) and I couldn't see that road well due to building, so it was risky. I will need to go to different spot. And get some fucking safety gear.
Practice time in total; about 4 hours.
>>
>>140269
T-stopping turns you because you are putting your weight on the dragging foot.
To t-stop correctly, all the weight goes on the front foot that is facing forward, and you only apply pressure on the rear foot gently, while shifting your balance to retain the weight on the front foot.
A good exercise to train for this is doing pistol squats, it can be hard at first to not turn when doing the t-stop, as your natural urge will be to put your weight on the dragging foot to stop, but because you're also probably not putting your rear foot right in line with the front one, and not perfectly perpendicular, it will cause rotation.
>>
What's the general rule for finding good quality pavement and parking lots to skate on without getting into legal trouble?
>>
>>140753
No one will give a shit as long as they're closed for the day. Worst thing that will happen is that security or the police will tell you to leave.
>>
>Parking lot looks good on Google street view
>Rocks, cracks, and dried grass dirt by the time you get there

Every time
>>
File: possum with cool glasses.jpg (396 KB, 1536x2048)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
how to skate give me videos
>>
My frens are playing hockey and I'd like to join them, but I cannot skate. I thought I'd grab a pair of roller blades and get into it during off season. But I wonder, do the skills from roller blades really transfer to ice skating?
>>
How the hell are you actually handling going downhill? None of the braking method seem reliable when you're going down a serious hill and my place is hilly as hell.
>>
>>141206
When going downhill, control your speed by doing a slalom like movement. At moderate to high speeds, use a magic slide to stop or speed check.
>>
>>141030
crahs into walls until you dotn any more (simple 100% testedd and werking methed)

>>141172
Similar, but ultimately different.
With rollers, you're gliding on top of a surface, with skates you dig slightly into the ice with a much thinner axis. Rollers allow you more freedom of movement, which allows you to do more complex footwork and overall fine-turning, while I've always found skates have much extreme turning, higher acceleration and sharper stopping just from the sheer difference in friction, which means you have to control your mass and motion far more (compared to rollers, which seem to demand more from the 'footwork', if you get what I'm getting at). That, and rollers naturally... 'roll' around depending on terrain / inclines, compared to skates which more reliably stay put on a flat rink you dig into a bit. The aforementioned difference is probably why ice skates are the sports-ended ones (with dancing as a spinoff), while roller-hockey would just be impractical.
I guess a 'close' comparison would be American Football and Rugby - there's overlap, but they're ultimately different beasts. If you want somewhat of a 'bridge', use extremely (like, maximum you can possibly find) hard wheels, and you might get *close* to what steel ice blades feel like - but the catch 22 there is that if you're trying to learn, it's just going to be harder with harder wheels, and not as good as just using skates.

tl;dr I'd just wait it out and use ice skates in-season.
>>
>>142064
Thanks!

I've already got some inline skates tho because I really wanted to give it a try. It's fun to just cruise around. There's an inline hockey rink nearby, and we thought we might play that in the summer season, but we'll see. There's also a skatepark near my office, so maybe I'll give that a try, too.

Anyway, summer looks promising so far.
>>
>>141212
>slalom like movement
Sounds pretty scary. I did try doing that when skiing and fucked up almost every time. Maybe I tried to turn too hard, but otherwise I still went pretty damn fast.

On other topic: What would be the good way to carry the skates? I don't want to drive a car because it's an "anchor" that would force me to come back there.
Using a shopping bag could work, but seems kinda lame.
>>
>>143430
Get a big carabiner and hook it to the loops at the heel of the boot, every skate has that on the shell or liner.

Also, the trick to control speed when going downwhill when you don't know how to stop on a dime is to just not let yourself go too fast. Rule of thumb is that by the time you feel like you're going to fast, it will already be too late for you, so just always drag a bit when going downhill until you've learned to slalom, soul slide or parallel slide.

When going downhill I almost exclusively use soul slides to control my speed.
>>
Should I get grind or non-grind blades?
>>
>>143912
theres a few boots you can buy to try both, but most will be a bit pricey
>>
>>143545
>loops at the heel of the boot
You mean those cloth loops that I have at the upper back of the skates? I thought they're more of decorative thing because they do not look sturdy enough.
Oxelo MF500 if you want to check.
Also, thanks!
>>
Just bought some cheap RB Cruisers am EXCITED as fuck just to be on wheels again, its been like 10 years..
>>
>>144213
I think they are sized correctly by my big toe has a ton of pressure on the side and I have fucked up toe nails from being a kid so it is hurting, RIP I feel like going up a size is going to ruin a good fit , but i'll give em a try tomorrow
>>
Half this thread is just people asking for fitting advice and expressing regret at buying the wrong size. Really highlights one of the worst aspects of this sport. Good fucking luck finding a comfortably fitting skate without access to a physical store. I'm four pairs of skates in and still looking.
>>
>>144374
You could try some Intuition or Second Skin liners, the thinner liner will give you more room in the shell, and will be more comfortable too.
>>
>>145053
I bought a size up and it feels like it is sized more appropriately for my foot, in terms of length, but i apparently have wide fucking feet (4.5in lol) so i am thinking about trying intuition liners as ya like you said it helps with wider feet. The liners in the up sized skates I bought feel like shit even when I take them out of the shell all because of my width
>>
>>127374
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: possum fruiting.gif (1.72 MB, 270x340)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
If my skates haves started feeling more roomy after using them more, would double socking be a good way for my feet to feel snug again? Also does such a thing as an ideal sock for skating exist?
>>
>>127374
Can this thread be aggressive?
>>
>snowboarding
>just skateboarding on snow and your feet are attached to the board
>no one gives a shit
>skiing
>basically the equivalent of rollerblading on snow and your feet are attached
>no one gives a shit
>rollerblading
>LMAO LOOK AT THIS GAY SHIT LOLOLOL YOUR FEET ARE EVEN ATTACHED EASIEST SPORT EVER, ZERO TRICKS LMAOOOO
How? Decades of conditioning by big brands?
>>
>>146293
Blading is based, they slam the hardest cause you can't jump off if you fall.
>>
>>146304
Blading has one of the best sports movies of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz2CMDCD3WQ
>>
>>146293
anon its 2023. snorting coke and homosex isn't taboo anymore.
>>
>>127374
>mfw i bought a shitty pair of blades just so i could fuck all the thots that come to the rollouts in my city
I am a genius (other than the child support shit)
>>
>>146383
No, you're just a genius.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HeGn72yOf8
>>
I wanna go skating again soon (probably this weekend or earlier if I can) but all I have are these huge inlines from years ago. I never got into quads but I feel like they would be better suited for me since they're more stylish and better for indoor/artistic skating. Ideally would like to get something like pic related, I've heard it's slower but don't really care about speed too much since it's mostly for indoor skating anyway
>>
WTF never expected rollerblading to end up in the extreme sports board. Checked in regular sports. /s/, but it's for couch-kind of sport, /out/ was empty too.
Anyway, the slowness of this thread reminds me once more that there are few skaters out there... Each time I skate in the city I might come across one, but usually none. Do you see many skates in your city?
>>
>>146456
Yes its making a comeback in my city but usually the only time you see them on the streets is when the femoids are doing their rollout events.
>>
File: puijo.jpg (441 KB, 1920x1080)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>>146456
I see more rollerskiers than skaters but skaters are not a novelty either.
>>
>>146456
It's still alive in the midwest. That said, the number of skaters in very small. You can easily become friends with someone who was/is a pro/sponsored.
>>
>>146247
Fuck you retard
>>
File: gir.gif (170 KB, 50x50)
170 KB
170 KB GIF
>>146456
I see people skating every once in a while. Although its not super common, I have seen a good amount of people take their skates to swapmeets, which seems like an unideal skating place because of all the people there, but people do it anyways
>>
tfw cannot figure out an arch pain problem in my left foot. Its the only thing stopping me from being able to skate more than 15 minutes without needing to stop
>>
>>146456
It's mostly kids I think anon, I did it when I was younger but between the pandemic and being overloaded with work lately I'm just looking for something fun to do. Amusement park is too far and probably crowded so I figured going skating again might be fun. And yeah not a lot of people do it anymore from what I can tell, I say this because the last time I went with a group of kids from my church and nobody knew what they were doing lol.

This isn't my usual board either, mostly stick to /vr/ but I figure maybe going skating can bring back some of that childhood nostalgia and make me feel a little better. Haven't been to this particular rink since the 2000's so I'm excited to go
>>
>>146517
I feel you anon, albeit my problem is not as severe. Did you try custom-made orthopedic insoles? They are cool for all kinds of sports involving legs. Almost doubled my km count. But do NOT skimp out on those, and I emphasize CUSTOM-made. They will last a few years under moderate use. Also level your strain on both legs, if you don't do it yet.
>>146458
I would not be as jaded towards women on skates (but totally would otherwise). It is not easy to learn to skate well, so when you see a good girl skater, you know she is not a poser and at least somewhat athletic.
>>146534
Well, I can't say much wrt kids, I saw maybe one on a street with parents. Kids are always on skating ring and I don't go there, not interesting as city.
Have fun!
>>
>>146542
I've never had foot issue before from sports I dont think, I am messing with the frame alignment to maybe shift where the center of gravity is on my feet and it might mildly be helpiong
>>
>>146334
I don't really see what that has to do with anything.
>>
File: 1684320994179967.png (1.53 MB, 1438x828)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>146517
If you have a high arch, you may be setting the 45° strap too tight, or lacing too tightly, and the tightness is straining your arch too much. Try riding that skate a little more loose, getting waxed hockey laces may also help. If that doesn't help, get an insole like Superfeet that's designed for specific arch types and play around with different positions for the insole. For example, I use a Superfeet Green in the bottom of my skates' shell, underneath the liner.
>>
>>147056
I am still struggling with it, I have been putting it under the liner but i think im going to cut it and put it inside the liner and see how that goes.

I have literally zero of this pain in the my right foot using the same configuration, I know feet are different but jesus christ
>>
Will I get better if I keep on skating mindlessly?
>>
>>148794
Depends on your definition of getting better. Balance and confidence? Sure. Muscles and endurance? If you push yourself hard enough. Doing sick slides and freestyle? Probably not.
>>
>>139339
I keep debating on the twister se or the fr1's, is there a discernable difference between the two?
I want something comfy for cruising.
>>
File: img_6867.jpg (36 KB, 480x480)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>149243
If you're getting the stock FR1, then it's foot shape and mounting, the Twister is narrower than the FR1 is, and the FR1 has a 7-hole mounting plate to allow for really any kind of raised heel frame, while the Twister has singular mounting and has a heel bias on most aftermarket frames.
If you're getting the FR1 Deluxe with Intuition liners, that's the top of the line as far as plastic urban skates go, you're getting the best liners in the game with a lightweight 6000-series aluminum frame on top of the FR1's other benefits. They'll run around $500, but you won't need new parts other than wheels for a few years.
TLDR get Twister if you have narrow feet, FR1 for any other reason.
>>
>>149289
I've heard the fr's run small, I'm about to get the fr1 80s, I only have ever owned a pair of RB Zetrablades and I wear a pretty snug US 11 in those.
Should I get the US 12 in the FRs?
>>
It's probably been 18 years since I last owned a pair, but I want to get back into this instead of cycling because I fucking hated cycling and never really felt safe on a bike.
Would this pair(K2 Inlineskates VO2 S 90 Pro) be an acceptable one to get back into it? It's available for less than 200, or is there something I should look for instead for under 150 instead?

Not sure if I have a lot of places to use them in over here during the day outside of my direct neighborhood as inline skate users are treated as pedestrians and are supposed to use the walkway as far as the law is concerned anyhow.
>>
>>150688
If I we're you I would get a hardboot skate. If you want something on a budget maybe the Flying Eagle skates would be a brand for you!
>>
At what point does one get their second pair of skates
>>
>>145130
If the liners are removable you can also just shave off material. I don't inline skate anymore (just passing through) but it works for ski boots.
>>
>>150757
When you want a different setup for a different type of skating/don't want to switch out frames for the same boot. I have USD Aeons for aggressive, FR1 for urban skating, and another FR1 for wizard skating. Also if the boot is damaged or worn out, on some skates the plastic will get floppy if they're a few years old and have been skated hard and frequently for that period of time.
>>
File: 1686857022205.jpg (11 KB, 300x168)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>131613
> ankil strength
>>
got a pair of crossfires's to try out. have twisters, but i think they are 1 size too large (maybe 2). tried a skate on the crossfires, and holy shit i had to stop because the right outside of my right foot was getting compressed too much (width issue). They say they are not heat moldable. is there anything i can do about this? only one skate

probably can't return at this point. if i can't fix/break in. i'm thinking maybe fr1 intuition or some other carbon heat moldable skate. my feet are a bit wide.
>>
>>150688
frx or flying eagle hardboots
>>
>be a fan of urban
>do it for more than 10 years casually
>never learned to ride backwards or even powerslide
Anyone same? I see no reason to learn these as in an urban setting it's a bad idea to ride backwards.
>>
Good stuff
>>
>>152570
Fakie is a good exercise to have better control over your movement, footwork and center of gravity. If it doesn't interest you, than no sweat, but I do find it weird that you would just lock up your own progression in an activity for no reason. Not learning to powerslide is definitely a bad idea because you don't have a maneuver that will stop you safely and quickly in an emergency. The only counter to this would be magic slides or parallel slides, but if you don't know how to powerslide, then I highly doubt you would have learned any other slide.
>>
>>153089
I've learnt the parallel slide and it saved my bacon a few times. It's just riding backwards feels too dangerous, if there's a bump on the road, I can fall on my back and arms won't help. I might try powerslide on a rink, but not in an urban setting.
I just like skating fast through challenging environment, not showing off.
>>
>>153096
>if there's a bump in the road
That's why you would practice riding fakie, so that a bump wouldn't throw you off enough to make you fall. I hit speedbumps/tables and go up curbs fakie all the time. I also didn't mention stair bashing, which is way easier, safer, and better for your back and joints when doing it fakie as opposed to forwards. Again, it's strange that you would logic yourself out of learning a skating fundamental when you could have learned it at any point, incorporated it into your skating already, and have seen the advantage it gives you for yourself. It isn't showing off if you aren't doing it to show off, but to continue learning and improving.
>>
I think I'm starting to get how to plow brake, but it's still pretty inconsistent.
Any good vids to help figuring out the technique?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fXinoJVgY\
Mushroom basically did my dream part that I would have loved to have done myself, Deep Forest and all.
These guys must piss off the Aggressive community online so much, most Aggressive skaters are so fucking uptight.
>>
>>127374
Ok >>130117
>>130133
>>130909
>>131254
>>130117
>>
Those mountable brakes are more useful than I was memed to believe. Makes hills a bit safer. Noisy, tho.
>>
>>156485
Also, what wheel size is recommended for sidewalks? They're made out of paver blocks.
My 80's do not really handle well there.
>>
So my pathetic attempts at plow braking have turned into not-so pathetic ~45* souls slides. Those still suck, but together with slaloms, I can somewhat control the speed downhill without coping with heel brake.
I also feel less anxious about going out skating, pretty much I consider it a highlight of this day.
>>
File: fuaaaaaark.gif (1.84 MB, 180x156)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB GIF
>go practice on some actual road
>it's one of those small residential roads
>kinda rough surface and stuff, but manage to skate around a bit and ride down the small hill a few times
>turns out I can't brake for shit, after all
>ok, whatever, time to wrap up the today's practice
>decide to ride down the longer hill to the place I started/wore the skates
>easy, I can manage
>...
>did I mention I concluded I can't brake for shit earlier?
>cannot slow down, hill is too step
>accelerate hard
>panic a bit
>panic too much to brake with heel brake
>panic harder
>fuck it, focus on balance
>ride down that shitty hill
>watch out for holes and other bullshit
>crossroad to the right, clear
>ride forward
>crossroad into three roads
>fuck
>terrain evens out, tho
>fuck it, HEEL BRAKE
>...
>did it, stopped before the crossroad
>plop onto the ground by the road
Fuck, that was scary.
>>
Hey fellas. First off I’m trying to pay as little as possible for skates.
I’m hoping maybe this will motivate me to get out and exercise more.
I wear a size 12/13 shoe. What do you recommend?
Thinking about going used on Facebook marketplace.
I wear a size
>>
>>131036
If you're in a big enough city for the cops to care then there's gonna be somewhere you can skate. My country is getting new road laws too because somebody put electric scooters on every single corner of the big cities and made an app for tourists to use them and there's never been anywhere near this many semi-pedestrians in the street. But there's also huge parking lots and just concrete everywhere in general in these cities so no excuses.
Then there's small towns like mine where roads are often the only option and as long as I'm blending in with the flow of traffic nobody cares.
And if you do get arrested then inline skating finally got cool.
>>
>>156485
I'd recommend everyone learn to not use heel brakes simply because it makes you a better skater but there's nothing wrong with using heel brakes after you've learned.
>>156721
80's can roll over a lot more than you would think they can. What's much more important is having harder wheels and harder technique. You would think you'd want to get light on your feet to glide over rough surfaces but you actually want to put more pressure through them.
>>
>>157679
since you're planning on using facebook there's a group on there called blade trade outpost where you can find a good pair of skates on a budget
>>
Can you ride inline hockey skates for cruising or anything other than rink/derby shit?
>>
>>158089
If you get the ones that use 80mm wheels and you get wheels that are harder, yes.
>>
>>157715
>And if you do get arrested then inline skating finally got cool.
It would be hilarious if my first legit trouble with law would be over fucking skates.

>>157724
>You would think you'd want to get light on your feet to glide over rough surfaces but you actually want to put more pressure through them.
I'm not sure if legit or troll.
>>
>>158925
>legit or troll
100% legit, enforcing control on rough surfaces is the only way not having skates dance all over the place
Though in most cases I turn and look for another way
>>
>>159015
I once saw a tutorial on riding stuff in the city where one of techniques is sort-of-jumping-but-not-really to lessen the weight you put on the ground when going over stuff, like gravel, I think.
But could be me totally misunderstanding/misremembering shit..
>>
>>159039
I vaguely remember this too. I think it was called a not-a-jump or something like that. It's wrong. It will get you thrown.
>>
>>159138
Why people make guides they never actually tried?

Anyway.
Had another training session at the old spot and while soul slides are still utter failure, I think I'm starting to manage to plow brake, just gotta squat really low.
Another thing, my wheels might be fucked(I switched them around once, could be the cause) - either I can screw them too loose and the entire wheels moves around or I screw them to tight and the wheel stops much sooner, which probably affects riding uphill a lot. What should I do?
>>
>>159199
If you're coasting on both feet in line with each other and you lighten up the first one, pass over, and then put your weight back on it this would actually work well to get you over up to about 243mm of rough patch. I just don't see the point when you can also manhandle it and when that's what you're gonna have to do anyway if it's not just a big crack in the otherwise ice cream pavement.
You should rotate your wheels like every time you put on your skates. Depending on how hard you skate. If you see any signs of wear then you rotate them. Everything you do, even the simple push and stride, costs polyurethane. The bolts should be tight enough that the wheel doesn't move laterally while also not being tight enough to slow down the spin.
>>
>>159206
>If you see any signs of wear then you rotate them.
That's what I'm planning to do now, first time I was having a trouble figuring which side was worn off because I took all the wheels at once. Sessions are short, so it shouldn't be an issue for a while ,wheels are hardness 86A if I remember well.

>The bolts should be tight enough that the wheel doesn't move laterally while also not being tight enough to slow down the spin.
Yeah, I have trouble nailing the sweet spot. I have issue with like 3-4 wheels for now. Will try fixing them later.

> I just don't see the point when you can also manhandle it
I see, so ride hard through the shit. I hope it will work, local roads have plenty of small cracks and some gravel on them. I don't want to trip while riding downhill.
>>
>>139687
There are some extremely comfy K2 skates with softer boots that are awesome for long distances but it’s not necessary more of a preference kind of thing
>>
>>141030
>Gib videos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rg4iqtPzgmU&pp=ygUWcGF0IGxlbm5vbiByb2xsZXJibGFkZQ%3D%3D

Take the Pat Lennen pill, just go buy some skates and do what he does can’t be that hard just jump off the top of a roof bro
>>
>>141206
When I was young I wore really thick vert ramp knee pads and had some leather wrist guards with very thick hard plastic inserts, sometimes I’d drop a knee to the ground and use one hand on the road as well to slow down when doing hills
>>
>>143912
Definitely get some aggressive/grind blades almost everything has a UFS frame and you can just buy some powerblade frames with bigger wheels to enjoy skating further and faster. I used the Kizer ones, have a powerblade set and a tri wheel one which is the fastest and best on rough terrain. Is basically impossible to do that with a recreational skate though those don’t have an option for doing aggressive as well
>>
>>144536
Have you got skates with removable liners? Those are a massive part of what makes a skate comfortable and most skates come with extremely bad ones, Intuition liners are really good for example, maybe have a look into that and also Myfit liners are good I hear
>>
>>145197
Kek
>>
I should have probably learned to aggressive on something easier than M12s. These blades are like bricks on my feet, the wheels are tiny, anti rocker instead of flat and the soul plate is like an inch on both sides. Of the frame.
Everyone other bladers I meet skates like USD and such are half the weight of these things and have way wider soul plates.
>>
File: 1626461967504.jpg (28 KB, 622x350)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
It's been raining all July. One week into August and it's still raining almost every day. I've been able to go for a skate maybe 4 or so times in total. What a terrible fucking summer, I spent all year braving the shitty cold and wet weather knowing there was light at the end of the tunnel, only for there to be no light.
>>
>>157672
I made the same mistake when I started, paid for it with a mercifully light injury considering the circumstances. Avoid hills on your routes, start heel braking, slaloming, and drag stopping before you accelerate not after.
Don’t let yourself go any faster than you can brake unless you’re certain you won’t need to do so until you slow down again.
Learn a good brake, drag stop + heel brake is fantastic, powerslide is pretty good too but harder to learn.
>>
>>160330
Started using slalom for braking recently. Holy shit it's hype af, why did I not do it before. Everyone looks at me like I am a magician or shit. Bonus points if I enter the parallel slide a bit.
Though kinda hard to use in an urban setting with people on the road. Not all roads are wide enough...
>>
Speaking of rollerblades, are they good for building cardio?
vs say a bike or skateboard?
>>
>>160902
Skating is probably the closest riding sport you have to running, so I'd say yes. Certainly better load than cycling and skateboard. The muscle load is much more even too.
>>
>>160910
So will it help me strengthen my core muscles?
>>
>>160911
It uses your core constantly because when you stride you're on one leg and you aren't always upright. It doesnt use it that hard though, just repetitively, so it really depends on how strong of a core you want.
>>
>>160330
Kinda managed to actually use the v-brake to slow down and it seems to be working downhill until something clicks and I suddenly speed up into bomb.
>>160501
have hard time doing it, it seems to only make things worse.
>>
>>160902
Yes
Anecdote: did treadmill 5ks before this summer and Ive skated pretty much every other day the past 2 months. Got in the gym on a rainy day and knocked out a 10k like it was nothing. Not scientific but I can tell you it helps.
>>160911
yes, depends on how you ride like other anon said. I use quads so idk about blades but it is real easy to isolate certain muscles to drive the skating movement. You can focus on hip rotation, crossovers and work your lower back, pushing out more and working those leg muscles, rely on your hammys and quads, or focus on flicking and get your calves.

I did artistic skating for the first time in a while this summer and my abs and middle back were absolutely beat after I practiced for a couple hours.

TL;DR its moving and sweating so its good for you
>>
>>161885
Honestly, skating is so good health-wise, if not for deadly dangers at every corner (if you are an urbanfag like myself) I would recommend doing it to everyone.
>>
>>162045
luckily I live in an area with paved bike roads that pass over and under car roads. its wonderful : )

but yeah the healthiest Ive ever been in my life was when I skated daily for like 4 months 2 years ago. Was close to being shredded at like 12-14% bodyfat and everything in my body just worked better. We are getting there again so hopefully by October or something we might see that
>>
>weekend
Are you going to skate anons?
>>
>>163717
>nobody replied because skating
based
>>
Might buy some FR1 90s soon. Hey do you think paint would stick to these things if I primed them? There isn't shit like skate parks for miles and miles, might try a mall to fuck around. I measured like 26-26.5cm so I'll go for the US size 9
>>
Is it worth to get rollerblades for commutes within downtown? They seem both annoying and useful
>>
>>164763
No, unless you are ready to shower ASAP. Skates are one of the most straining ways to move, you will sweat like a pig. If you have quality asphalt, that is.
Just want to move = get a bike.
>>
>>165013
>Skates are one of the most straining ways to move
It kinda seems that I don't get tired yet I end up quite sweaty. That sucks. Also, you can lock the bike and go somewhere while with skates you have to carry them like an autist. I suppose they become more viable if you travel somewhere by car and don't quite have means to bring a bike for casual sight-seeing.
Other news: GOOD DAY, I HATE PAVING BRICKS AND CRACKED ROADS. That shit is unusable with 80's. Also, fuck hills, they're everywhere!
>>
I bought 90s and am gonna buy this neat skateboard backpack but put my skates in the board pouch. If I do that I thiiiink they will fit neatly
>>
>>165600
They make backpack specifically for inline skates. You could also just a carabiner and hook them to a normal backpack.
>>
>>165532
>leave your bike
It's fine if your bike is cheap or you live in a white busy area. I feel safer carrying my shit with me.
>like an autist
OR show off your obscure hobby to everyone!
>travel
I would not take skates for sightseeing. Pretty much all places worthy of seeing are in historical parts of cities, which means shit roads. Also visiting places = wasting time taking them off and putting on afterwards.
Besides, you'd be better off conserving your energy (if you travel for more than a few days).
>bricks and cracked roads
It does not get much better with 100s, unfortunately... I would strangle the retard who decided to put bricks on pedestrian-motorway crossings in Paris. Such good roads wasted by a few meters of bumps.
>>165600
Just buy a dedicated backpack for skates. Even very cheap ones hold them snug and they don't rattle when you walk.
Sheesh, a no-name bag for 15 EUR served me better than a 40 EUR Rollerblade one. So yeah, I see little reason to splurge on a bag.
>>
>>165763
I start to feel like skates are a bit of a meme, shame.
>OR show off your obscure hobby to everyone!
Is it a good thing or bad?

Yeah, one of two nearby cities has a lot of brickwork for pavement in the center while the other is more of industrial city with lot of cars around. Sucks either way.

>tfw there are dedicated backpacks for skates
Sounds neat, gotta look it up.
>>
do you wear a helmet when skating
>>
how do the stock wheels on the FR1s slide?
>>
File: k2s.jpg (57 KB, 830x719)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>127374
Glad there is a thread for this, just bought my very own blades (pic related) some used K2 100M (around 70$), I wonder if it is a good brand or not? Anyways, to answer the anon above me, I wear a helmet and I've only skated once and fallen 2 times already hahah. Doing baby steps with catching the walls and riding in a triangle, but I'm thinking I will roll a bit more in the weekend before it gets all icy, but weather shouldn't stop you anons from doing what you love doing. PEACE
>>
>>168024
K2s are good, not great but not bad either.
I'm surprised at the amount of people learning ITT. I learned to ice skate first as a kid and then did rollerblading after... they're practically the same and only change in a few ways. I do snowboarding now, and I have skated before and found those similar. I bet that skiing and rollerblading are the same.
If I was learning like you, keep wearing the helmet, take off the heel brake
>>139339
Is right about them, you'll learn bad stopping techniques.

I would also try to learn how to roll on just 1 blade at a time, building up that balance is important. That and stretching beforehand (toe-touch, leg stretches) can do a lot for your range of motion which means safer moves.
>>
Got the sudden, ill-advised mid-life crisis urge to get back into aggressive inline after literally decades. I don't even know what brands exist nowadays, what would be the options?
>>
>>127374
Does anyone know where I can find Bam's CKY videos?

>>128837
Carpdime was the best.
>>
>>168444
The CKY videos aren't that obscure. You should be able to find them on most torrent trackers.
>>
File: friarroller.jpg (192 KB, 736x981)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
Is it possible to long-distance roller blading? such as, inter-city travel, as is done with bike? Are there any charity events, records, races etc, about LD roller-blading?
>>
>>169016
Once I stumbled upon a plebbit post claiming to have traveled for a few hours(over 100 miles iirc) on larger wheels and with those nordic walking or skiing sticks.
Besides that, I heard of people doing marathons on skates.
>>
>>
> Rolling Assholes General

thought this was the BJJ thread for a sec. Carry on rollerbladefags
>>
are there any actually good blading youtubers? that ricardo lino guy is a personality vacuum.
>>
>>169989
Jumbo
iRollerboot
>>
>>169990
>Jumbo
hm, looks promising enough, but they also come across as pretty desperate to replicate skateboarding channel type of vibes instead of just being natural
>>
>>169646
>grind rails
>in those skates
>>
>>169989
There are none. All of them are
>WOW guys that was CRAZY
kind of channels
>>
>>169989
If you're looking for a talking head YouTube personality, no. They're all either dad bladers or too cool for school types. If you just want to watch sick tricks, then yeah there are some.
>>
>>169989
Michael Witzemann
Rerolling Inline
>>
>rollerblading
>>
>>167409
Good, I ride them on my urban setup (4x80) and my Wizard setup (Endless Arc). The round profile is easier for me to slide and pivot than on than bullet, and the hardness is super grippy without being sticky. Never had them decore or chunk either. Undercover are obviously higher quality, and MPC/Junk even more so, but for the price Street Invaders are great.
>>
File: AdaptsVoodoo.jpg (129 KB, 1008x756)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>159138
It's not wrong, but it for sure isn't going to get you over fucking GRAVEL

Non-jump is kinda doing a half-assed jump where you lessen your weight on your skates to roll over rough terrain/crappy pavement/manhole cover whatever. Gotta do it on something that isn't going to move. Trying to non-jump over gravel is just going to lessen the weight on your skates and guarantee you're gonna fucking eat it. If you HAVE to roll through gravel (which is fucking stupid and you should stop and navigate it), you want to follow speedskating form and be putting as much pressure as possible down on your wheels with a solid body/core/leg in hopes that you just yeet the rock out of your skate. If it knocks your skate out of whack, speedskating form will have your recovery leg coming forward so you'll just shoot that out and land on there if you ARE stopped.
>>
>tfw cannot slide
I literally cannot slide in my skates, so I cannot brake without heel brake.
T-Stop? too grippy, it just yeets me to the side
Soul Slide or something similar? Cannot slide, so I just end up riding wide-legged like I shat myself
Plow-Brake? A lot of effort to get any effect.
Wheels are 80mm/86A
I can only slide and brake on wet surfaces.
>>
>>173105
You are doing two things wrong:

Weight balance: you need as much weight on your non-braking leg as possible. The goal is to drag the braking skate very lightly at first, so that it's almost ineffective. Once you can control it, you can add more pressure/weight. This is why your t-stop is getting pulled in different directions.

Knee bend: not only are you putting all your weight on your non-braking leg, you need to bend that knee really deep to be able to do things like power slides and soul slides. If you can't get that deep enough knee bend to get a good angle on your braking skate, you won't be able to break the traction and get a slide.
>>
Anyone tried using kaltik baats 4x90mm for wizard skating? They're only 85 euro delivered for a complete frame, a lot cheaper than getting an endless frame + wheels
>>
not buying your stupid (((skates))) that do nothing
>>
File: 1677216382268001.jpg (51 KB, 450x315)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Beginner budget rollerblades.

I am a complete newbie and have 0 knowledge about rollerblading.
But I want to get into it It seems like fun.

I am looking for a beginner pair of skates for around $100 -$150 (I guess idk if they cost most of less than that)

I plan to ride them outside casually and cruise around. I am not going to do tricks nor ride them at indoor derbys
>>
File: Tridents.jpg (239 KB, 1280x964)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>175758 Proskatersplace has a lot of good clearance deals going on right now. I tend to recommend Flying Eagle to newbies because they have good sturdy hardshell boots for cheap, you can really beat them up learning and not worry versus a pair of $100 Zetrablades/recreational skates that get torn up once you fall on 'em a few times.

F3S/F5S/F6S are the models you should look up. Higher number = higher quality. You'll probably need to buy a brake kit, you can find one on the same site looking up "Flying Eagle Brake"

You should factor in getting at the VERY LEAST, wrist guards and a helmet. I'd get a decent set of Killer 187 pads that have both sleeves AND straps. Any pads with straps are just gonna get peeled off in a crash. You'll probably save a broken bones but you'll still get scraped up.
>>
>>169989
I like Flow Skate.
>>
>>130122
play Streets of Rage 2 until you can 1cc Mania as Skate
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYC5ilbDDY

We're so back.
>>
File: 1691564325076943.jpg (17 KB, 520x410)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>176406
Now, I'm no genius when it comes to /sci/ence or /k/ommandos, but surely trying to fire a gun on roller blades would seriously put you out of position. Like, bullet goes forward, shooter goes backwards.
Like, I understand a lot of the ME warfare was won with light equip loads and mobile troops doing suicidal-tier shit (compared to overburdened apathetic career-army westerners having to constantly phone back in and play health+safety because military industrial complex), but hanging onto a car in the middle of a street chase is begging for one wheel to be out of position or clipping a civillian mirror and you being crushed by your own speed boost, before firing your gun and throwing yourself off to boot.
Like, first response, maybe, but not armed response.

Should we crosslink and get some other boards opinions on this? /k/ would probably know more. My bro science is wack dude.
>>
File: file.png (3.42 MB, 2000x2000)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB PNG
>want to start skating for fitness, being out of the house and meet people
>look at "beginner's" skates
>well over 150
>look at the bellow 200 reviews on youtube
>there is always some cheap or bad feature that will become a problem in the future
>look at some decent skates with decent features
>above 250+ even on sale
Should I just get a good pair on sale to avoid the cheap features and the inevitable change in the near future?
Don't know too much yet but this setup with all 4 wheels levelled seems good for starting, stability etc.
>>
>>177972
You can get roces m12s for 150€ or USD sway for around the same price, both good quality brands where you can upgrade the frame, etc if you need to later
>>
File: 1696902108150232.jpg (162 KB, 1024x1024)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
I'm getting back into blading. I see people blading at the skateparks sometimes but they're already in established groups and I'm too afraid to go and talk to them.
>>
>>181322
Go talk to them, bladers are usually very friendly to other bladers. Unless you're in New England or something.
>>
>>176512
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FewdU4ltNw
That's a massive magazine being magdumped, if you're already moving forward and shooting more realistically it's not gonna slow you down much at all.
Whether you can shoot accurately while skating is another thing, i'd be interested to see someone try that kneeling stance but they're doing that in the video because it looks cool and it's probably stupid and completely impractical to actually fight on skates.
Think of them like dragoons where the horse was mainly to get you around quickly and not really to fight on.
>>
>>127374
Wtf this thread is from 2022 Jesus Christ
>>
File: 32132.jpg (3.1 MB, 2336x4160)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Guys! i want to get my first pair this month but im clueless. Do you guys have a guide or something?
>>
I'm just starting out and only my left foot hurts when skating, it feels as if my ankle is too tightened by the boot but that doesn't make sense as my right foot feels fine in the skates, any idea what that could be? I couldn't find anything about this on the web
>>
>>181992
>/xs/ is a slow board
>roller blading has enough interest to keep a general active
>not enough interest to cycle through threads every week
What's there to "wtf" about? Only exposure to 4chan through /b/, /pol/, and maybe /int/?
>>182030
What's your budget, do you want to buy new or are you okay getting 2nd hand, and do you want skates or inline?
>>
>>182166
Could be the fit, could be you're pressing at a bad angle on your left. Which foot is your dominant (when you stand up and walk three paces which do you lead with)
>>
>>182190
I'd say my right foot is the dominant, I think I'll try to get someone to record me to see if I'm tilting my left foot or something, but every session I have this same problem
>>
New Years goals bros?
Don't have one and I'm wondering what you guys would set as a normal + achievable since it's nice to work towards something I guess.
>>
>>182322
Looking to learn h-block tricks (frontside, backside, royale, etc)
>>
>>130122
Gun
>>
>>143912
Razor shifts are good for those that truly can't make up their mind. You can change from 58mm antirocker to 125 triskates in a matter of seconds. I've owned my shifts original shells for 5 years and still skate those shells to this day
>>
Anyone else feel like roller hockey is coming back around?

I remeber everyone was playing it in the late 90's to about 05, but then it just dropped off and was concidered lame, but now I'm seeing street games popping up and seeing a number of YT channels focused on roller hockey getting really popular. I wonder what the shift is that's making 90's sports cool again.
>>
>>183777
Disney made a new mighty ducks tv show, haven't seen it yet to see if its any good. But if disney is making a hockey tv show, who knows.
>>
>>130122
Literally something involving a blade. You can't hold your ground with skates on.
>>
I'm an average noob with a lean body type (if that really matters at all), looking to get a new pair of skates for urban traversal.
I'm looking at commuting 6 km (3.7 ml) twice a day through the city.
Please recommend me some skates optimal for getting around.
>>
>>183955
Anything around 120$ will do you fine. If you go under 100$, they will be fine at first, but can wear out quickly, and time and money spent on fixing them, you'd be better of with spending a little more. You don't need to go over 200$ unless you're really into hard core stunts and will be thrashing them really hard and need something that can stand up to abuse. Maybe find a local skate show that does blades so you can try on a couple sets to see what you're most comfortable with.
>>
File: loins.png (314 KB, 525x525)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
Hey all, so I've been wanting to get into rollerblading and I bought a pair of rollerblades, But I've been having trouble finding a pair of liners that will fit them.

My feet are "266cm in length" "100 cm in width" and I bought a pair of frx 80s in shell size 40 so I could downsize. I tried a pair intuition premiums in size 8.5-9.0 and it was way too tight all around. Buying a bigger pair won't solve the problem because it wouldn't fit in the shell and the padding would
still have the same thickness.

The shell itself is a perfect fit with just enough room for a liner, so what I need is the thinnest possible liner that uses up as much space inside the shell as possible without scrunching up. I've heard people talk about how thin the myfit 2nd skin liner is and even reading posts describing it as being "a large sock" which sounds exactly like what I need but the problem is I don't know what size will fit in the size 40 frx shell.

tldr: being inbetween sizes sucks and I don't know what size liner I should buy for my shells.
>>
Does skiing experience help with skating? I have noticed skating helped me to start actually ski downhill, so I hope that's the case.
>>
>>181992
>2022
Rookie numbers, there are even older threads on other boards.
>>
>>184004
I just cope by wearing thicker socks.
>>
File: razors.png (438 KB, 700x700)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
bought a pair of these cunts like a year ago but never got to use them
I was trying them on today cuz I wanna give it a go soon
I literally cannot close the strap unless I put it under the tongue, how much of an issue will this be? or will I probably be fine just skating around without the strap
>>
File: T68C6Ca.gif (3.67 MB, 480x360)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB GIF
>>184004
>266cm in length 100 cm in width
Are you a giant robot?
>>
Ordered myself a helmet so I won't crack open my head learning to skate downhill.
I hope I won't look too stupid.
>>
>>146425
impalas are good as a very cheap skate, but if youve got the money id spend a lil more & get Chuffed skates
>>
>>187957
Helmets may often look dumb, but one thing looks even dumber - getting a TBI and becoming a vegetable.
>>
>>184655
Not sure how fat your leg must be if the boot fits but the cuff is that small on you. I’d imagine you’d have some problems with stability, probably best off getting something that fits.
>>
Anyone watching winter clash right now? Pros are coming up in ~10 minutes
>>
>>188123
Now I do
https://www.winterclash.com/uncategorized/livestream/
>>
>>159206
>The bolts should be tight enough that the wheel doesn't move laterally while also not being tight enough to slow down the spin.
I remembered to check out the wheels today because the weather is warming up and it isn't even bolt tightness issue. The damn bearings must be fucked because I took out the problematic wheel off the skate and it barely spun compared to other wheels. Will try using some lubricant in spray and give them a session or two. If it doesn't help, I will have to take out bearings and take a look. Or outright replace the wheels for.
>>
>>159715
He's fucking flying man...
>>
is it worth getting a rear brake to save on wheels? I don't want to ruin my wheels braking once I saw the cost of new wheels. if the brake wears out just as fast, I would pass though.
>>
I went to the skatepark for the first time since like 2004. I practiced some grinds and riding the quarter pipes. I used to blading anti-rocker or even no wheels in the middle but now I love blading flat. Carving around the park was so fun. I had a bad fall though. I can't skate like I did 20 years ago. I have been practicing with a big wheel setup just cruising my neighborhood to get my fitness up but I still feel stiff and awkward. I thought my skills from other sports I took on over the years might help me but it didn't. Wish I had people to blade with.
>>
>>188789
Rear breaks will save your wheels in the long run but it'll make you look like a fag :^)
>>
>>181476
>hey
>hey
>are you guys skating?
>yes
>cool
>...
>...
>what a weirdo
>>
are the 909's really that good? they're expensive as fuck, can they really be that much better than roces or usd sway?
>>
Never skated in my life before, started ice skating recently and loved it. Now that the season comes to an end, I want something similar and I'm thinking about picking up inline skating.
1. How transferable ice skating skills are to inline skating? I'm by no means good, but skipping the initial stage of falling 10 times on the first day would be nice.
2. Is K2 Men's F.I.T. 84 Inline Skates, BOA a good starting choice? Not that I have a lot to choose from, because I want to try them on in a store and...
3. Here in Canada it's either Sportcheck or Canaidan Tire. Any store recommendations from leafs?
4. Is 84mm ok for a beginner? I'll be skating at the park exclusively, I just need something to replace the ice rink, at least that's how I'll start.
5. K2 skates I mentioned have pretty soft 80a wheels and I don't know how changing wheels works. Do all skates use the same mounting system? Will I be able to buy any wheels I want from any manufacturer and change them once the soft ones are dead?
6. What wheels should I buy as a replacement, diameter/hardness wise? Any go-to models?
>>
>>189329
you can get the Marsblade. It's supposed to feel really close to ice skating.

https://www.marsblade.com/off-ice/
>>
>>189303
They're expensive because they're a completely independent mold, that's really it. They're made from high quality plastic, custom hardware, and they now have individual shell sizing, all pretty expensive to produce. If you like M12's/Valos, you'll like 909's, they're a very similar feel, just a bit wider. If you want a skate that performs similarly to the 909, but cheaper, get UFR's.
>>
>>189622
any idea how the fit is compared to 5th elements? I have wider feet so m12s are painful, but find 5th element so heavy and bulky. I keep accidentally cess sliding when riding transition and almost killing myself.
>>
What is it about rollerskating that attracts so many genderspecials? I went to a local shop to buy some gear and it was almost exclusively staffed by pooners.
>>
>>189673
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>189673
That's like asking why so many gay men listen to house music. It's being sold that way. There's nothing gendered about either, it's all just marketing.
>>
>>189303
Expensive? Just don't by the ones that are collabs or with Intuition liners.

>>189181
This is exactly what I'm expecting. Except to be called an old creepy weirdo.

>>189638
Just look at the sizing chart and measure your foot.

>>189708
Just ignore the chronically online schizo posters, bro.
>>
Can I use my ski helmet while skating or am I better off just investing in a separate one?
>>
>>189812
>Just look at the sizing chart and measure your foot.
I mean in terms of width specifically, how do they compare? the sizing charts only show shell length.
>>
I like the idea of going for a run for exercise, but also don't want to run
Should I get skates?
>>
>>190737
yeah
>>
>>188107
I'm not fat at all, I'm 5'9 160lb and in the middle of a cut plus I've been lifting for 4 years
>>
>>189329
1. Very, especially if you have a rockered frame. The grip from urethane and less perfect surfaces will take some getting used to, but pivots/transitions and later slides will come easily to you.
2. Not really, they would be okay for beginner trail skating at the most advanced, not super familiar with the model you're after, but K2's softboot design doesn't give a lot of support, and they aren't very durable/easy to replace parts. K2 has a new hardboot skate coming out soon, but until then I would say stay away from K2. Look for FR, Rollerblade, or Powerslide.
3. Depends on where you live in Canada. Boutique Solo Inline just opened up, there's also Shop-Task and Pro Skater's Place. All three you'd be able to walk in, try stuff on, and talk to experts
4. 84mm is fine, but I would personally recommend starting with 4x80mm flat, learn how to rotate wheels for a natural rocker, and go through 3-4 sets of wheels while learning as much as you can before trying any other setups.
5. 80a is okay for smoother surfaces and will be fine if you're lighter (under 180-185 lbs) and aren't doing a lot of slides. Ideally you want at least 84a, start there and figure out your preferences. Unless it's made by MPC (will say on the wheel), clear urethane is bad, so if a skate comes with those wheels, replace them with Street Invaders or Hydrogen wheels. Changing wheels will be universal, just a matter of popping out the axle and switching the wheels. As far as mounting, flat boot/aggressive boots will have UFS mounting, urban/freeskates will have 165mm mounting (raised heel), and 195mm mounting for racing/speed skates. If a skate uses different mounting, don't buy it.
6. Like I said above, FR Street Invaders or Rollerblade Hydrogen wheels, the two are the best quality wheels at their respective pricepoints. Buy the max wheel size your frames will fit, keep them rotated. You don't have to get high quality bearings, but make sure they're serviceable (removeable shield/cleanable).
>>
>>190963
Thanks! I know hardboot is recommended, but I hate keeping my feet hot and now I'm eyeing Macroblade 80.

1. Could you recommed a hardboot that
- Has the best ventilation system and would keep my feet cool
- Wouldn't cramp ones toes (I've read that Rollerblade and FR are recommended for wide feet)
- Would fit high arch feet

2. Does skating in a softboot increase the risk of injury?

3. If I go softboot after all, should it feel very snug at first? I know it's a recommendation for a hardboot, but not sure if it applies to a softboot as well.

4. Opinion on Macroblade 80/Cruiser/Lightning?
>>
File: ice-skates.jpg (99 KB, 967x1280)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>191118
5. Are hockey skates closer to hardboot rollerblades or softboot ones? I don't want to loose my ankle strength and want start the next ice skating season with my ankles ready for hockey skates.
>>
I pulled the trigger and bought some Chaya Voyagers after seeing them on sale for a decent price, what am I in for? I'm mainly going to be skating on bike paths but I do have a pair of indoor wheels on hand if I want to go to a rink.
>>
What's up with skating in something like this? Everyone itt is talking about roads and hills and shit but I've been skating in a park for a while now and it's comfy as shit, as an average 30+ years old married salary man.
>>
Finally had the courage to skate during daytime. I went to a secluded road a bit into the forest and practiced, had really fun. A couple people passed by and almost everyone greeted me, surprisingly. I guess inlines looks fun and that opens people up. A baby and mother walked by and the baby was like "that!!" and the mom said "We have to try that" which was cute.
Sort of learned "cross-walk" I think it's called? Like lemons and crossing your legs alternating.
I think I dare to skate in most places now.
>>
>>191118
1. FR1 boot is pretty well ventilated because of how wide the lacing area is, but the FR1 Intuition takes that a step further with the padding used for the liners being extremely thin. That's what I prefer to ride and I never have any issues with my feet feeling hot, and I have pretty hairy feet and I sweat a lot. The Rollerblade Cruiser boot also has a lot of ventilation through holes cut in the shell. And any raised heel boot will do well with high arches, but if you still find them uncomfortable just throw a Superfeet insole in or something.
2. If you skate anything other than trails and bike paths, then yes, potential for injury is there. Lack of support, soft cuff, and no torsion control through the rest of the foot.
3. Should be slightly snug, but not too much. The foam used in lots of softboots doesn't break in like it does with normal liners because it has to last longer.
4. Macroblade = everything I've already said about softboots.
Cruiser = good all around skate, great if you have wide feet.
Lightning = haven't skated them, but they're in between the Cruiser and Twister when it comes to width. Twister are good if you have narrow feet.

6. Hockey skates are their own thing. But you aren't going to lose ankle strength from riding a hardboot, if you have the mobility and strength from a hockey skate already, that isn't going anywhere because of a higher cuff.
>>
File: 360 Lion.png (1.41 MB, 1920x1080)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>skating boomer with great style making tutorials
based. I want to have similar spirit when I'm at that age.
>>
Sort of learned to turn around while rolling today, skating with my sisters was very fun.
Also floating the idea to merge this gen with /esg/ when this reaches bump limit. I feel like centralizing discussion and getting crossover would promote activity for both gens.
>>
>>191238
>Sort of learned "cross-walk" I think it's called?
cross overs

keep it up, man. skating is all about relaxing and enjoying the freedom of being able to roll around forget everything else for a while.
>>
>>191379
The trick I meant is called criss-cross. Skating is not really an escape for me it's just very fun and stylish.
>>
>>191407
What I mean is I try not to think of things as escapism, because I feel like that means that I'm escaping from something in my "real life". When I do something I like it's not an escape, it's cause I like doing it.
>>
Found out that turning around while rolling is called transitions(lol) and started practicing them. Hmm sort of learning but gotta get a bit more used to standing on my tippy toes.
Unrelated but I did a decent handstand for more than one second that was lit.
>>
I have a suspicion that those wheels that came with Oxelo are too soft
>can't slide for shit
>they deformed quite visibly only after few hours of somewhat casual skating, not even braking with those because lmao can't slide or stay on one leg
Also, the heel brake is noisy as fuck, so I can't even cope by using that.
>>
>>191866
>Oxelo
Checking it out, it seems like a budget brand to be fair. The ones above 100 euros seem like they'll work at least. Maybe you should get some Street Invaders.
>>
>>191869
I'm thinking of getting new wheels. The frame Oxelo came with allows only up to 80mm btw.
I heard hard wheels(no idea which are those) are more slippery and I'm kinda used to skiing, so maybe it could work.
>>
>>191871
The stock wheels are 86A, they're supposed to be quite hard already, weird.
>>
File: Skates.png (299 KB, 1420x1100)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
Don't know if you guys read Air Gear but it and Jet Set Radio Future made me start roller skating desu.

>>191874
Hmm well my wheels are 80mm and 84A so a bit softer. I haven't tried sliding too much though, just drag and spinz.
>>
>>127374
My dad said gay people who 'blade are called 'Rolaids'
>>
Had my first fall today but it was fine, just a little scratch on the knee. Learned how to get a nice deep carve, at least to the right. A bit harder to the left cause I notice I rely more on my right leg but it's getting there.

I was only gonna have a short sesh cause my food was on the stove but I completely forgot about time and skated for much longer. Food didn't overcook luckily.

And lastly, this is autistic, but I'm re-reading Air Gear but I only read a chapter if I went out skating. It's a little hurdle getting over the "people are looking at me learning" when I go out, so that motivator helps. Also it feels like I'm progressing with the characters in the story. (Please be patient I have autism.jpg)
>>
>>191911
Good one honestly.
>>
been out 6 or 7 times on my blades now, kind of getting comfortable but I can't seem to balance when it comes to t-stops/one foot skating or scissoring my feet, what am I doing wrong? When I try to t stop I can't balance and when I try to scissor my feet I always drift to one side. I can plow stop and slowly turn on my outside edges but I tend to struggle to keep my feet together too.
>>
>>192084
>when I try to scissor my feet I always drift to one side
Well that's sort of natural cause you scissor when you carve. Try leaning your upper body to balance, so if you drift left, lean right.

And if you don't do balancey stuff otherwise it's natural that you're learning how to balance. You're getting better.
>>
Learned drag stops today. Still a bit right leg dominant but getting better. It's fun to skate. Very chill and feels nice to ride outside.
Criss-crossing was much easier than it looks, and drag stops a bit harder I gotta say. Criss-crossing just requires the courage to cross your legs while drag stops has a bit more technique.
>>
felt like i was getting the hang of the basics the other day and then today I went out and could barely move and I just felt like such an asshole. tried a new spot and it has one of those stupid pebble footpaths too. just make it flat assholes.

>>192091
yeah i don't feel like I'm getting any better balance wise when it comes to one foot though. I try to skate on one foot and just immediately panic and put it back down, and i can't even get in the t stop position while moving
>>
Short sesh yesterday, just riding.

>>192334
At least you're staying standing. Skate on one foot for a millisecond, then two milliseconds and eventually you can do it.
>>
is broskow the goat y/n
>>
what are some fun tricks to do on curbs? I don't have a p-rail or live near any decent skate spots so trying to improvise.
>>
>>192642
It's either him, Farmer, or Eisler. Lomax gets an honorable mention, too.
>>
>>192740
What about Aragon or Haffey?

>>192738
Jump off it or up it. You can smooth it with a brick then wax it for grinds.
>>
Brazil has some dope ass female bladers who barely get any exposure meanwhile we got girls here in the USA who featured in videos with pro teams because they're hella hot and met Broskow at the skatepark within a month of being a blading noob.
>>
>>192887
yeah but outside of the south all Brazilian women look like troll dolls with streaky blonde hair.
>>
>>127374

I went to a skate rink in Chicago and it was filled with nearly all jive black skaters who could do some impressive moves. is this the hidden sport whites forgot about?
>>
I can't do forward lemons, I stop halfway. At the same time I can do backward lemons, it's pretty easy. What could I be doing wrong?
>>
What are some good comfortable skates for aggressive? I like the look of aeons, but I’ve read that they’re tight across the toes, and that kinda scares me a bit.
>>
>>193639
roces fifth elements, they're wide so you won't get any pressure points. only down side is they're heavier than most skates.
>>
My fondest memories are skating with friends when I was a teen. Now everyone including me moved to different cities, I can skate but it will never be like before and I can't move on.
>>
i can't even stand on one leg while standing still on my skates wtf
>>
I just ordered a pair of Basic 60 XXL’s. How’d I do?
>>
File: 1693133131673710.jpg (157 KB, 1200x962)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>193581
Unironically, try turning around. Often times it's a invisible slope.

>>193670
>tfwyktfw
Riding alone with the company of yourself is all you got some times. Skate on dude.

>>194173
Start on hard dirt / grass on one foot, then on two, then repeat the process on concrete with time. Remember to keep your weight slightly more forward than usual - you're naturally inclined to put your weight on your heel, but it's not an even distribution when sliding on an equal rolling surface. Easiest way is to keep your knees relaxed and slightly forward; but everyone has their own style.
Don't forget that everyone slips and falls; it's all a part of the process. The falling over isn't ever the embarrassing part; it's not getting up after that, that's the real shame.
>>
>>193581
>Backward
Ankle-controlled
>Forward
Toes-controlled

Ankle stronger than Toes. Simple grug broscience. Do calf raises.
>>
>>194174
should be fine, a good one to start without spending too much.
>>
>>194174
Brazilian qt Nicholy Machado skates Aeons and she's hot af.
>>
Went to a skate park with glossy, polished concrete for the first time (my local has much rougher surface).

my wheels felt really slippy, didn't feel comfortable at all doing tight turns or riding transition. Slipped out a few times and ate shit. I ride flat 60mm 92a, for reference.

Should I be using harder/smaller wheels on that kind of surface or what?
>>
>>195031
You need softer, grippier wheels.
>>
>>195044
actually I just realised I'm on 83a not 92a with this frame. softer than that seems like it'd be useless for any other surface. guess I'll still to my local park...
>>
>>193670
Get on fb and see if you can find a local group, I did the same ended up finding some quad skaters that skate park. Ones pretty close to my skill level, brings back the energetic feels and gets me keen push myself instead of just mindlessly rolling around missing my skating buddy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.