[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 20 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mtb01.jpg (300 KB, 946x2048)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
Delusional Boomer Shitbike Ad Edition
Post pics of ads of shitbikes priced way too high
Post monstrosities that used be good bikes but were ruined by boomers

FAQ:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike. Possibly a newer used entry level hardtail but don't expect it to survive rock gardens, jumps, or drops. Or an older mtb which won't be as good as newer ones and will still have a front derailleur, but it'll be good enough.
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Used hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
Used full suspension
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, Kona, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike
> What are the differences between an XC, Trail, Enduro, and Downhill bikes?
XC bikes are for going up fast, go down not as fast. Trail are bikes are for going up and down. Enduro bikes are for going down fast, and slower up. Downhill bikes are for going down really fast, needs a ski lift, truck, or the rider pushing it to go up.

This is a handy guide for affordable bikes. Not comprehensive but a good guide for american riders. Europeans and Asians have access to other brands.
https://youtu.be/p_xdAi1xVDE
https://youtu.be/ihlQDGClCbs
Previous Thread: >>117687
>>
File: mtb02.jpg (156 KB, 946x2048)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>125052
>>
File: Off Roader.jpg (1.43 MB, 4032x3024)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>125052
>>
>>125054
Lmao, at least he does good marketing.
>>
File: PXL_20220912_015843018.jpg (2.02 MB, 3024x4032)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
Spotted on Google maps street view in NYC.

Old giant with a dual crown fork way too big for it with skinny tires.
>>
File: PXL_20220912_020226598.jpg (3.67 MB, 3024x4032)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
>>125107
Cannondale, excuse me.

Also mask on LMaO
>>
>>125107
Pretty based
>>
>>125107

Witnessed. Lol what is that angle like? I bet it's fun to cruise on and not fun to climb on.
>>
>>125107
Back when I worked on-site in San Francisco, I saw a guy commuting on a track bike with a disc wheel in the back. This was close to the shoreline and after 2pm so the strong coastal winds were just starting. He likely got blown off the bike
>>
Looks like my wheels will be finished in about 6 weeks. I won't be able to stick them under the xmas tree, but I will be riding on it next year assuming it doesn't rain a ton and turn the trails into peanut butter. The park I ride on the most is very popular so the trails are all dusty and beat up, so when it rain, the trails turn into sticky nutella.
>>
>>124750
I too am waiting for michelins for my yellow and blue build
Fugg
>>
Paid $40 for a single set of organic brake pads because nobody had any formula 2 piston pads. And they perform worse than the $8 gorilla brake metallic pads that I had.
On another note, bike24 had a black Friday sale.
I got a set of these
https://www.bike24.com/p2688440.html it's a screaming deal if you ask me. Before you ask, no your local shop does not carry the pads for them.
>>
>>125610
I tried so hard to find those brakes in the past but gave up because nobody had them in stock in the US. I've heard they're excellent brakes and even the 2 piston model has ridiculous stopping power. I'll just stick with Hayes Dominion A4 brakes since I have a bleed kit for them and the bleeding is really easy for them.
>>
>>125652
I always saw them on eBay where people had bought them from the Italian market and put them on eBay. all of the spare parts are available for economical prices so I figured why not. I have some now 11 year old formula The One 2 pistons that came on my very first MTB and those are pretty good. The reviews for the brake are all very good so I figured at around $200 for some very nice brakes and rotors, why not. If you take out the price of rotors that's $60 per brake
>>
>>125610
Damn. Their rotors are good, I'm using them for my saints. Why don't you try galfer pads once you kill those you bought? I've read that galfer makes pretty good stuff and their rotors have quite a fan base as they also focus on MX stuff
>>
Do any of you fellas use Reserve valves? Normally they're $50 for a pair, but I have a 15% off promo code. They're supposed to make working with tubeless tires so much easier since they're harder to clog, easier to unclog, they let more air through, and you don't have to take out a valve core to to put more sealant in. All of that sounds great but my tubeless valves have been relatively trouble free except for one wheelset where the valves have some more friction.
>>
>>125728
Tubeless valves are effectively free and in 12 years of tubeless I’ve never had an issue with valve clogging that wasn’t so rare (less than once a year) or so simply fixed (Allen key shoved in the valve) that it was worth remembering. I’ve also never been limited by valve airflow when seating a tire, but I use a floor pump (successfully, by the way)

If I feel like being a tool and buying $50 valve caps because they look pretty, I’ll remember reserve valves as an option. Until then, it’s the free valves in the little plastic baggie
>>
>>125732
>Until then, it’s the free valves in the little plastic baggie
heh, those are the only ones giving me trouble. It's not really trouble either, the valve just has way more friction and it's not even the fault of any sealant getting stuck in there, so I have to use a wrench just to loosen it up since my fingertips don't have enough grip to turn it. Luckily the tires don't loose much air compared to my other wheelsets so I don't have to top it off before rides.
I guess I'll try them out if I ever need new valves, but I keep getting them for free
>>
>>125714
I bought swissstop organic pads, because nobody had metallic. I have had good luck with formulas metallic pads. I just don't know why someone would stock only organic pads. Hopefully they are hard wearing or else they won't last a single muddy day at windrock.
>>
>>125738
Because unless you are pushing the brakes to their absolute limit, the difference between organic and metallic is marginal if not unnoticable.
>>
>>126017
Except that metallic last longer, and work in the wet better. Organic is fine where it never rains. If you ride when it looks like pic related then yes you do want to be running a harder wearing pad. This guy is only on his 3rd or fourth run judging by how muddy his goggles/helmet are. I'm not going to pay $60 in brake pads every park day in the winter.
>>
>>126034
Also we are not having this fucking argument again.
>>
>>126034
Most places if you ride in conditions like that the locals & trail maintenance community will arrange for you to have a little accident.
>>
Bros got questions about le MTB shit

>back hurts while riding after a while
>constant adjustments of my seat so pelvis hurts while in long ride.

When to:
>Consider changing my stock suspension fork to rigid fork? I usually see myself ride in roads, bit of gravel towards home and stuff very less trails
>90mm stem to much shorter ("short stem") or longer stem
>Change saddle to a better one?
>Handlebar length? kinda want 1 finger braking but mostly use 2 finger braking all the time
>>
>>126035
heh, I remember that took over half a thread
Do you want to make loud noises to scare hikers and equestrians? get metallic pads
Do you want to be silent while riding illegal trails? Get organic.
>>
>>126043
Try flipping your stem so it points up.
>>
File: 1659583544591189.jpg (45 KB, 694x564)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>126017
I can't believe its you again. Just because you ride XC in a shitty place where the max descent is 10m(if lucky) and can't ride alot to see the real difference in pad material doesn't mean there ISN'T a difference.
>>126042
Mtb "pump track" trails should not exist unless its a jump trail. Whats the point of riding some manicured trail? You can just ride a pump track or fire roads for that. Manicured flow trails get really bad after a few days due to braking bumps. People who ride in the wet fix that. If anything, riding when its wet should be encouraged to make it more natural
>>
>>126017
Here, read this
https://ca.thelostco.com/blogs/blog/mountain-bike-brake-pads-explained
>>
>>126094
>Manicured flow trails get really bad after a few days due to braking bumps. People who ride in the wet fix that. If anything, riding when its wet should be encouraged to make it more natural
You're an idiot. Anecdotal bullshit aside, this will destroy the trails making ruts. People will ride around it, repeating over time until you have a 15 wide mud hole.
>>
>>126127
Manicured trails take alot to maintain and are shit, just go full walmart and put concrete. Natural trails require minimum and are the shit. A rut happened, wat do?Just put rocks, put dirt, compact it and voila. You probably ride in place where it rains only once every few years(might explain) and whines on tire tread marks bc some one rode when humidity was above 10%.
>>
>>126161
>Just put rocks, put dirt, compact it and voila.
>'tard who flew otb a few times too many
>>
File: 1668270775101218.png (247 KB, 498x370)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>126185
Yeah, you ride in the desert or really dry place where it doesn't rain.
Nigga, just google how to fix ruts on mtb trails. You put big rocks as base, wet dirt and compact it.
>>
>>126185
kek what horseshit. Only academics who love flaunting their moderate IQ describe their fields like that. If you can't distill your field into simple terms for the layman, you aren't intelligent enough to fully understand your field.
Or you make money based on the perception that you know more than other people, in which case you're a scammer
>>
>>126094
>>126127
>>126161
>>126185
>>126193
>>126205
So what wet weather trails do you guys ride? Because I don't know about you guys but I live in a rainforest so most of the trails are wet weather trails.
>>
>>126229
I live in BC, so every trail can be a wet weather trail
>>
File: IMG_20221126_112044.jpg (3.05 MB, 4000x3000)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
Bros h-help me, counter clockwise for left brake bleed hole/port right...?
>>
>>126322
ya wanna make something bleed, you gotta use a hammer and a sharpened punch
>>
File: IMG_20221126_121311.jpg (2.88 MB, 4000x3000)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>126334
shit, but that may come later anon with my pic related
>>
>>126322
yeah unless you have some weird brakes. Just remember to be gentle on the bolts, for some reason, every fucking manufacturer uses the softest materials known to man for bleed screws and the threads.
>>
>>126337
It’s definitely time for pliers
>>
>>126034
>>126035
Mate I am down to argue, but you sound like you are too puss puss to.

As we concluded last time, braking technology for MTBs have progressed to the point that pad compound doesn't influence braking performance unless you are pushing the limits of the bike and the brakes. And no, you and everyone else here is not pushing the limit with their riding.

>>126094
> Just because you ride XC in a shitty place where the max descent is 10m
1. I have rode enough big mountains in the wet and dry with different pad compounds to know there is no difference. You will get better performance by increasing your rotor size or going to bigger, higher end brakes.

> Whats the point of riding some manicured trail?
Going really fast? I mean, it is pretty obvious.

> Manicured flow trails get really bad after a few days due to braking bumps. People who ride in the wet fix that. If anything, riding when its wet should be encouraged to make it more natural

Thanks for telling us you don't actually ride mountain bikes. Riding manicured trails in the rain destroys them really quick.
>>
>>126354
I would recommend people try both compounds and then decide. Although if you like to upgrade your bikes or tinker you probably already did.

I definitely want to have metallic pads on the enduro and DH bikes. I run 200 mm code rsc on both. I like the consistency and bit better bite on longer stages, especially in the wet. Think +15min á Petzen EWS.
>>
>>126229
French alps. Right now everything above 1500m has snow and below its muddy and full of fallen leaves
>>
>>126354
Yeah nah, the difference between in bite between organic and metallic is immediately noticeable and the difference in final maximum braking power on a heavy descent is very significant. I won’t make any claims on brake fade because I personally don’t believe pad material has much to do with that.
I choose metallic by default (mostly for durability, not necessarily power), and I’ve switched to organic in the past for specific situations like a squeak that won’t go away with repeated sanding/cleaning, the loss in performance isn’t a big deal (compared to squeaking) but it’s definitely a real thing.
I’ll also admit that there’s a lot of variability in pads, one companies “organic blend” could be just as aggressive and tough as another companies “metallic blend” and some companies just flat-out don’t even tell you the pad composition material, we’re all making generalizations here dividing all brake pad formulations into just 2 categories, but different materials absolutely perform differently
>>
>>126354
>As we concluded last time, braking technology for MTBs have progressed to the point that pad compound doesn't influence braking performance unless you are pushing the limits of the bike and the brakes
We conlcuded the opposite...I gave you some papers on brakes pads. Clearly showed how organic pads lost its frictional force at lower temps (implies a drop on friction coeff)than metallic pads, organic had a higher one at low end of spectrum.
You then went full negro and started dismissing bc muh cars not bikes and muh pro vs normal user.
Riding in the wet is also worse in organic pads than with metallic pads
>And no, you and everyone else here is not pushing the limit with their riding.
And we can easily prove that rotors get to those high temps due to rotor bluing. Just because you don't ride somewhere with enough vertical doesn't mean everybody does. Brake temp ≠ how hard you ride. A racer will touch brakes less than someone else who is riding slower but dragging them. And the racer will heat them up fast due to his velocity and hard braking.
>I have rode enough big mountains in the wet and dry with different pad compounds to know there is no difference
No you haven't. I asked you to show us where, your local and how often you ride there, and vertical. And you will not post it
>Going really fast? I mean, it is pretty obvious.
Just ride road, you go fast aswell
>>Thanks for telling us you don't actually ride mountain bikes. Riding manicured trails in the rain destroys them really quick
>impliyng that riding manicured pump tracks in your desert hill is mountain biking
Top kek
Ofc it shits them up, it makes them better and a bit more natural. And you can ride as fast.
>>
>>126361
> I gave you some papers on brakes pads
I remember that paper. It was unapplicable because (now this is from memory) pad compound is likely different to want you would be using on an MTB (i.e. not all metalic compounds are the same and different mixtures will give different performance) and the experimental model was too different to MTBing to draw accurate conclusions. Learn to science buddy.

> And we can easily prove that rotors get to those high temps due to rotor bluing.
When was the last time you saw someone with a blued rotor? I have done descents with my brake pads touching my rotors. Now they were crazy hot at the bottom, but the rotors were not blued nor did I see a degradation in performance (this was on organic pads too).

> And you will not post it
Grew up riding South-East Queensland, have rode the major Alpine parks in Australia, New Zealand, and Sydney (including Jack Moir's local trails).

> Just ride road, you go fast aswell
I do already, but going fast on an MTB is different to going fast on road.

> Ofc it shits them up, it makes them better and a bit more natural
Why not ride actual natural tech? Or are you not good enough to ride natural tech?
>>
>>126360
The differing pad compounds is an interesting point. I have notice that pads of the same compound from different brands will perform differently.

> I won’t make any claims on brake fade
I have personally done descents with organic pads rubbing against the rotor and that did cause any fade.

I still maintain that if you want the 'best' braking, you spend the money on a set of good down hill brakes and the biggest rotors your bike can fit. I will do more for performance than piss farting around with pad compounds.
>>
File: 20221126_131857.jpg (1.47 MB, 3024x2953)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>126363
>It was unapplicable
Compound might be different but still made from organic bounded by resin and metal from compact metal powder. Yet there was a relationship between metal/organic and temp, the same relationship on mtb brake pads. A 4x2x1cm pad heated(from braking) to x temp will behave the same to a smaller brake pad heated to x temp.
>When was the last time you saw someone with a blued rotor?
My rotor lmao. Purple. And you can see thats after cleaning.
>I have done descents with my brake pads touching my rotors. Now they were crazy hot at the bottom, but the rotors were not blued nor did I see a degradation in performance (this was on organic pads too).
>Grew up riding South-East Queensland, have rode the major Alpine parks in Australia, New Zealand, and Sydney (including Jack Moir's local trails
Are you running finned pads, "sandwiched" rotors, finned rotors? Either that, no brake flow trails, or just not using them.
>Why not ride actual natural tech? Or are you not good enough to ride natural tech?
I do. When you shit on it and the trail gets fucked that means there one more trail to ride. It has the jumps with the flow AND the steep berms gets better. There's one trail that was a jump line with big berms and to do the jump on the berm's exit you gotta plow through the fucked up berm. You can barely clear the jump when before the trail did everything.

>>126364
I don't feel too much difference in compounds from companies but I do with organic/metal. Ran my old metallic pads from Brake authority before putting the finned metallic pads from shimano and the difference wasn't too big, but I can tell it takes a more to heat up. And when I removed the old shimano metallic pads and put the brake authortity pads I said there was a difference, which doesn't make sense as I'm back shimano compound and feels the same. I'll need to wait for summer to give proper hell to the brakes on huge descents and races.
>>
The temptation to buy a fork on sale is too great
Might get a Marzocchi Bomber z2 to replace my Suntour pogo stick
>>
>>126407
Do it, anything but a pogo stick. It will make the ride better
>>
File: temp.png (216 KB, 530x373)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
Hey; faggot here with a quick question.
Are these supposed to be hand breaks?
Where would you by a bike with upturned breaks like that?
>>
>>126431
No, they're bar ends in the late '90s to early 2000s style, setup how a geriatric boomer would demand they be.
>>
>>126435
bar ends, that's what they're called. Thank you anon
>>
>>126431
Bar ends, cane creek still makes them.
>>
Suspension service kits are on sale at worldwidecyclery. I remember these were really hard to find since 2020

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.