[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: speed vault.jpg (363 KB, 999x1500)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
Now that /asp/ has been resurrected as /xs/, it's time for a parkour thread. I've been getting back into parkour the last couple months and I have to say I missed it as much as I missed old /asp/. Where are you at with your training? How have you been working around the lockdown chains of Corona-chan? How much do you apply the utilitarian Hébertist mindset of being strong to be useful to your training routines?

I guess freerunners can post, too. Maybe even gymnasts and trickers if you don't get your own thread up and running.
>>
I hope Parkour, Free Running, and Tracing becomes a general on this board.

>>1236
Ive had to put a pause on running workouts cause of pandemic and now snowed in
>>
>>1287
Are you doing any indoor workouts? On indoor days, I've been doing a general strength and cardio routine as well as working on safety vaults, kong vaults, break falls, and rolls on the floor and doing precisions between strips of painters' tape. I've been training a bit in the snow which is kind of a fun challenge, but I'm not doing that super often.
>>
>>1287
This is such a slow board that any of those could be generals if you make them
>>
Police chase simulator.
>>
>>1381
Ive mainly been doing strength and stretches on indoor days, I need to remember to add some cardio routines as well
>>1387
We shall be the first general then
>>
>>1236
can't wait for spring. im sick of not being able to train due to snow and cold.
>>
File: front.webm (1.41 MB, 1280x720)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB WEBM
>>1236
I've been doing parkour for over 13 years now, but this past year has been a clusterfuck for me. Really can't wait for winter to be over.

I had plans to travel the world for a year and visit all the famous parkour spots last June, but Covid ended that. Whenever traveling is normal again I'm going to leave for 2 years.

>vid related was from Greece 2 years ago
>>
>>1771
When I go out I've been wearing Mechanix Durahide Original gloves for abrasion resistance with nitrile gloves underneath to keep melted snow off my hands. Inside, I've been doing various strength and conditioning exercises while working on precisions and practicing vaults and rolls on the floor.
>>
>>1236
I can do some vaults and some rolls.
want to get better at wallspins
>>
>>1809
post more vids
>>
>>1236
i just gottam asturbate while in the air
>>
>>2509
I need to convert them all to webm, but I'll post some tomorrow.
>>
>>1236
Yeah, I'm doing freerunning at my spare time, been doing it since elementary school, now I'm a freshman in college.
The city where I live in isn't that big, at least 100k people and I've been everywhere and seen all the spots but now my biggest challenge is doing a sick double kong over a wall that's at least 160 cm tall.
>Training during corona
I guess my country didn't enforce such strict lockdowns as I was actually training all the time
>>
>>1236
I did parkour for about 2 years before the virus, though I haven't trained for about 6 months. I mostly do some weight training at home and barely get to stretch my legs right now, because of the fucking virus. I'm really excited for the day I will start my regular outdoor training again.

>>1771
so much this. We recently had some surprisingly cold temperatures recently and repeating freezing converted the whole city into a walkable ice skating rink.
>>
>>1388
kek
>>
>>1236
I wanna go back to the late 2000s again
>>
aggressive inline skating is parkour WITH WHEELS ON YOUR FEET and SOAP SHOE GRINDS in one shit "sport"
>>
>>1809
now put wheels on your feet and turn your skills into a REAL sport
>>
I've started with some easy stair jumps in my small city of 50k folks and it's going good so far. I noticed some good spots for more advanced tricks and a friend will join me tomorrow.

Gonna practice drops and jumps for now, besides going running as well. Any good advice to keep my joints healthy?
>>
>>1809
Damn that's impressive. How did you get started? I did some gymnastics and running beforehand so I hope I'm of to a good start. Basic jumps have been easy for me but I'm kinda afraid to start more difficult shit by myself
>>
I stopped doing parkour after graduating high school? I'm 25 now. Do you guys still do parkour and free-running at your age?
>>
>>1236
>freerunners
Whats the difference between this and parkour other than doing it on rooftops and shit
>>
>>8584
freerunning involves acrobatics while parkour does not.
>>
>>8584
Parkour is about efficiency and fluidity of movement going from one point to another.

Freerunning is parkour with added flips and shit. It's the added "unnecessary" movement that makes it freerunning.
>>
>>8584
Parkour utilizes movement and creativity to efficiently overcome obstacles whereas freerunning uses movement and creativity to artistically express oneself within a space. Think of parkour like viewing everything around you as an obstacle course, with freerunning being viewing the world as a place to work on your gymnastics floor routine. Both employ the same foundation in natural movement but build upon it differently.
>>
>>8575
I'm 29 and getting back into it. Physical training is important for both physical and mental health and parkour is a practical mode of physical training. Être fort pour être utile.
>>
post best parkour videos.I'll start:
https://youtu.be/xFXUYl2ljqI
>>
>>1236
How do I start? I can just practice some basic moves at home and progress to the more advanced, this at home?
>>
>>9756
You're amazing. Thanks for replying and godspeed.
>>
>>8778
https://youtu.be/H1mrVGVHZWA
double post but bumping for posterity
>>
>>9756
Pretty much.
>>
I'm 28 I quit in my early 20's because of an injury and all my friends went to uni but I want to get back into it. How do I train by myself as an adult, it wasn't at all a problem when I was younger but it feels so weird
>>
>>1809
damn dude how do your glasses not fall off??
>>
>>8778
An absolute classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kJZOfq7zk
>>
>>11347
>>8778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U15WlhUmxbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LipLpD75KY
>>
>>11069
I quit training regularly when I was about 22. I'm 29 now and getting back into it. Just go work through the stuff you did before and either try to get over feeling self-conscious about it or do it at places and times you won't feel self-conscious about it.
>>
File: 1610543797731.jpg (59 KB, 640x800)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
If you guys have any questions for me, feel free to ask, I'll answer whatever I can.

>>8254
Make sure you condition your body gradually, and be sure to properly warm up and cool down for every session. Focus on technique over distance at first.

>>8256
I started in 2007 with a friend and eventually met some other people who became my best friends - we learned everything we know on our own. Just be smart and only do things you feel comfortable with.

>>8575
I'm going to be 27 this year and I'm not stopping anytime soon.

>>8584
Having been around when this debate first took off, I'm telling you that it doesn't matter. Free running was originally a term for English-speaking people who couldn't understand the term parkour for some reason.

>>9756
Get an idea of what movements you want to learn, watch some videos on them, then go out and try them. Your body will intuitively understand what you want it to do the more you practice. Get your rolls down solid before moving to any sort of height.

>>11069
Don't worry about it, just get out and move! No one really cares, and if they do, just ignore them.

>>11085
I have straps for them so they stay snug against my head.
>>
>>7500
>americans filtered by sports
>>
Why are all parkour montages always set to some generic fair use EDM song? Every single parkour video on youtube uses a gettyimages EDM song. Is EDM that popular in parkour circles? Is it not annoying to those of you that can't stand EDM? If I was into parkour, I'd release edits using black sabbath
>>
>>12767
i assume its because they dont have money to buy the rights and still want to make youtube revenue
>>
>>12717
>I have straps for them so they stay snug against my head.
What should I be looking for when buying good, comfortable glasses straps?
>>
>>14283
Make sure they aren't too heavy or long, but otherwise get as cheap as you can.
>>
Calisthenics / street workout / tricking / parkour etc... is just gymnastics for untalented poor fucks who can't actually do gymnastics, tumbling, trampolining, still rings, etc..

It's for amateurs with no real talent for the sport, and for ghetto / third world trash
>>
>>15358
Parkour is a utilitarian skillset. Everything else you listed is movement for the sake of movement. Dr. Kano observed that gymnastics are great for balanced development of the body but the movements trained are neither useful nor interesting.
>>
>>15714
Dr. Kano? What's his full name?
>>
>>15358
My good bitch have you ever just done something because it's fun? Not everything's a competition.
>>
>>16537
No, I'm a pragmatic and utilitarian person.
>>
>>16578
>gymnastics, tumbling, trampolining, still rings, etc.
>I'm a pragmatic and utilitarian person.
???
>>
50% setting
25% skills
25% knowledge
>>
File: jigoro kano.jpg (968 KB, 1376x1919)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
>>15990
Dr. Jigoro Kano, founder of judo. Part of his system was a reformation of physical education, aiming to devise something that was useful and interesting to practice that would lead to balanced development of the body.
>>
UUUUUUUUUH SCRIPTS NEED TO COMPILE UUUUUUUUUUUUUH
>>
>>12717
>I started in 2007 with a friend and eventually met some other people who became my best friends - we learned everything we know on our own. Just be smart and only do things you feel comfortable with.

I went out two days ago for the first time to train some basic jumps and rolls, after an hour of training some dude who was into parkour talked to me and he showed me some cool spots in the area. Was a great experience.
>>
>>16878
Yeah man, most people who get involved with parkour are pretty sociable, making it easy to find friends to train with
>>
>>17530
>most people who get involved with parkour are pretty sociable
Either that or the anti-social ones run away and quietly brood over you retard fucking normies shitting up my training spot reeeeeeeee
>>
How does one get into Parkour?
>>
>>12739
what did you say half sport faggot
>>
>>15358
(you)
>>
>>17628
start running
if you encounter an obstacle jump over it or something
>>
been out doing tricks while gyms are shut
working towards gainer flash but progress is kinda slow
still fun tho
>>
>>1236
What are some good jeans and business casual pants that offer enough mobility, stitch durability, and abrasion resistance for parkour? I've had a pair of Duluth foreman's pants for a while and they largely fit the bill but are too tight around about the quads.
>>
>>17628
Pretty much what >>18753 said. Pick a starting point and an end point for your run and try to figure out how to make that path as short as possible. Look at the various obstacles and figure out what skills and strength you'll need to develop to pass them then train that until you can pass the obstacle.
>>
>>19878
I wear tapered joggers pants, or loose sweat pants. Jeans have too much restriction for me.
>>
>>20957
Do you wear that throughout a normal day or do you switch into parkour specific clothes for training?
>>
>>21319
Normal day, I don't socialize much, I find a good deal on under armor tapered jogger pants for 10 dollars a piece, and bought 4 of them. I have some sweat pants just cause they're comfy.

Its really whatever is comfortable for you.
>>
Jinx, Tau, Outlaw, Max and all the namefags, where u at?
>>
>>1236
Are there any worthwhile online parkour communities right now? I only used /asp/ and Zuckbook back in the day.
>>
>>8622
lmao nigga just get a card if you want to travel fast, do some jogging lol
>>
>>22012
Parkour is 3D jogging.
>>
Any tips on how to condition yourself?
>>
>>22886
I heard about this thing called exercising, I think it's pretty effective
>>
>>22891
I know that. I mean other than the basic. Should there be any specific exercises that will really help in preparing your body? The stretches and that sort of thing
>>
>>22906
Pretty much just push your baseline strength, endurance, and mobility like you would with a normal fitness routine but then practice parkour movement on top of that.
>>
>>22982
I guess one these days I have to gather data for a practical routine
>>
>>23002
Do dynamic stretches with your warmup and static stretches after working out, practice parkour movements and then string them together, and give this strength training routine a try:
https://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
also read the sticky >>>/fit/17018018
>>
>>23010
Thanks. Might as well try.
>>
cool. i used to do parkour (2008-2013)
Lost interest after fucking up my wrists pretty bad. Was hard to do climb-ups and vaults for over a year.

I still like watching parkour vids sometimes and am amazed by how much the movements have evolved. That said my fave pk athlete is still Phil Doyle who posts on Instagram sometimes. His movements just seem so effortless and refined.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-6SmrAvYsU
>>
>>15358
Gymnast here, training on the same six apparatus for years gets boring. That said, you can love gym, tumbling, and tramp and also love parkour. I have no idea why you think they're exclusive. Post body btw
>>
>>19878
Been training for 13 years and I'd have to say my favourite gearhave been cons with the insole ripped out, loose fitting riptstop cargos with drawstrings in the cuffs so they can be tied off around the calves. XXXXtra baggy sweats are also a bit of a meme in the parkour community as the more x's there are in your pant size the better at parkour they make you ;)
>>
>>23462
>Post body btw
Nigga thinks this is /fit/
>>
>>23485
When you're mocking others for their incompetence you have to post body to prove you aren't a fatass talking out their ass
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_qeI2WXrw
>>
Hey guys, JimmyTheGiant here.
Feeling quite a bit horny to be perfectly honest.
Does anyone know if any of the STORROR guys is gay or willing to experiment?
I've been itching for some STORROR cock down my throat, I'd even settle for Sacha or Josh.
Please help me out here guys.
Thanks.
>>
>>23761
Maybe callum
>>
HARDCOR PARKOR
HARDKOR PARKOR
HARKODR PARKOR
>>
>>11347
Genuinely the first parkour video I ever saw. Glad I made the mistake of trying to search for Ask a Ninja on google videos instead of youtube.
Literally life altering mistake.
Then the Davinsk clan Russian climbing video, and a week later some weird show on TV going over internet videos was interviewing Mark at APK and I learned that some bastards stole my idea and named it parkour. Good shit.

Here's another great vid from the russians
https://vimeo.com/6495648
>>
>>24610
>https://vimeo.com/6495648
I normally don't care for freerunning all that much (more of a parkour efficiency guy) but that video was really enjoyable. Maybe most freerunners just suck at their art.
>>
>>23761
>I'd even settle for Sacha
Sasha is pretty cute though.
>>
>>26146
He's a chonky boi now
>>
>>23467
when you say cons you mean hightops or low rise?
i have a pair for lifting but I can obviously try them out, haven't been out to do parkour in like six or seven years so just looking for a rec on a decently grippy shoe for basic wall flips
>>
>>26389
Feiyues are GOAT, but the shipping isn't nearly as cheap these days.
>>
File: phildoyle.webm (339 KB, 720x720)
339 KB
339 KB WEBM
how do you guys get the courage to do parkour? do you guys train in that padded gym area?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKcl0iNtDJM

^ also how do you train to do this stuff without breaking neck?
>>
>>27710
>>27714
Start with small stuff and build up. Learn how to fall safely. Get comfortable with moving closer to the ground before attempting the same move higher up.
>do you guys train in that padded gym area?
That sounds comfy, you can probably take more risks there than you could outside.
>>
>>27823
Thanks anon ill try.

Also my fave parkour vid atm:
https://youtu.be/XSpps8D8usA

Parkour seems really fun.
>>
>>27714
Look at some Dom Tomato vlogs. He is famous for doing stuff nobody in the world even dares to try, and his training includes real small scale stuff that even small kids can do safely. Start small, stay small and then add bigger stuff to test your limits and expand your zone of comfort.
>>
>>28016
Fun fact: Dom Tomato messaged me on Grindr once and we traded dick pics.
Slightly smaller than expected.
>>
>>28113
Funny how a fruit who's named after a fruit is constantly at risk of becoming a vegetable.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8ILbrHV98
kino
>>
Anyone got any advice for getting into parkour in the countryside? There's only so much you can do with a bench and several miles of fields.
>>
>>29383
Use hay in lieu of sponges to practice your flips.
Climb trees and whatever structures you can find to practice your basic movements.
Mark the ground at certain distances and try to jump them in different way to train your body.
Buy or build a pull up bar and get into calisthenics and street gymnastics or whatever that's called, and mix it with parkour.
Get into tricking.
>>
>>29383
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-hsTfOPKX8
>>
>>29383
yeah i agree with the anon that said to get into tricking. not much you can do with the resources you have.
>>
>>29383
What are your goals with parkour? If you live in a tent in the middle of a flat Kansas corn field you can easily build rails for precisions, a box for vaults, a bar for pullups, et cetera. Without all that, you can practice precisions and some vaults with marks on the ground and you can improve your strength, cardio, and running form.
>>
>>27865
It's been 11 days, how's it been going?
>>
>>31971
good! just been practicing climb-ups mainly. Need to build up my technique and upper body strength further. I really like watching the fast climb-ups where the athlete just flings both of their feet ontop of a wall . Other than that I've practiced catpasses, arm jumps (which ties into climb-ups), and precision jumps on architecture at/near ground level.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ah_8vcvWW0
>>
>>32287
Climb-ups are probably my favorite movement to train. This technique progression tutorial video is fairly solid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFH-zD3TloA
If you like JimmyTheGiant's parkour history videos his one on climb-ups is decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWoIZh4bSM
>>
>>33928
thanks for the links anon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_WT7BiEGs
>>
Why doesn't America have a lot of good parkour athletes?

All the cool traceurs come from Europe and the UK.
>>
>>34832
Capitalism ruins everything.
>>
>>34832
>Why is the European sport most developed in Europe?
Sure is a mystery.
>>
>>34864
The sport originated in France, not Latvia or Britain.
>>
>>34869
It's almost like there's not a whole ocean between France, Latvia, and Britain and they were all European Union members prior to Brexit.
>>
>>34872
Yeah because Parkour spread through people travelling in person between European countries, and not through the Internet.
>>
>>34872
You overestimate how inter-connected Europe is. You are likely not a European yourself. A French person doesn't know what's going on in Latvia. As far as parkour goes they only influence each others through the internet.
>>
>>34873
>>34874
I assumed there was some transfer of skill and culture with traceurs from different countries and cities meeting up because we have events like that in the States. I've never been to Europe (was actually planning a trip prior to the big coof) so I'll take your word for it.

This might actually have something to do with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_obesity_rate

I'd also wager that skating (and BMX, etc.) attracted the attention of the kids who are of an appropriate mindset and healthy enough body weight before parkour could get a cultural foothold, but with the popularity of American Ninja Warrior this might be changing. Some of the professional parkour guys in my city of ~300,000 were helping organize and motivate clubs about ten years ago (mostly targeted at university students) and built up enough interest to open some actual parkour gyms in the area.
>>
>>34879
Getting kids into sports is all about tha marketing of making it look cool to them.
That's why the popularity of skateboarding can be traced down to a handful of specific things that put it on the map and made kids go "I wanna do that too".
Every country has its popular sports that basically live off of momentum thanks to kids seeing other people/friends doing it and joining them, and introducing a new one is very difficult, even if it's the most popular sport elsewhere.
This is especially true In the US where there are already so many sports that kids are into, so it's harder to get them interested en masse into a new one.

Then there's the financial aspect that helps almost every other sport (profitable events and gear push the sport and the athletes so much more effectively), but Parkour isn't as easy to monetize so it ends up being more "indie" for lack of a better word, so it's not guaranteed to become popular everywhere, especially when it has to compete with so many other financially-backed sports for attention.
>>
>>34832
Maybe the same reason why USA has worse football (soccer) athletes.
>>
https://youtu.be/5QSegpGxucM

I dont train parkour anymore but when I did I was a huge fan of Blane's vids and blog. Either his or Teghead's vids were the first time I had seen a muscle-up which inspired me to build up to them. Was a fun experience.
>>
https://youtu.be/ChJml98FcgE
>>
>>34874
Wrong. Parkour jamsa were massive back in the day, and people all over came together to train together. People from Finland, Germany, Britain, France, etc. Just got together on multi-day jams just to train parkour.

These days, sure, the internet is the big thing, but back then, people did literally use time to just go from one jam to the next around Europe. The nomadic "I'm just traveling to parkour" type of lifestyle was the peak dream for a while.
>>
>>37262
>The nomadic "I'm just traveling to parkour" type of lifestyle was the peak dream for a while.
I would still like to do this someday, even though I'm getting old and am only mediocre at parkour.
>>
So apparently Pasha The Boss is marrying Riley Reid lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8J0poVDYU
>>
>>37513
Damn, didn't know parkour had such a severe risk of CTE.
Gotta be careful boys.
>>
>>1236
High high a wall can you guys vault? With a running start and good clean grip I can top 11’ rn
>>
>>37515
Kek
>>
File: 0.jpg (35 KB, 679x382)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>37513
What a retard. Must have hit his head somewhere while flipping.
>>
>>34832
the architecture is a big reason.
American suburbs have no parkour areas
American cities are all skyscrapers and if there are any highrises the distance is too big between them to jump from
And rural america is just corn fields.
>>
>>38260
they got those mario gyms at least

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.