[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

/sdg/
Skydive general
No whuffos allowed.

Current news:
Looks like the son of VP of the USPA has broken some rules, as well as his ankles when he took bachelor contestant Rachel on a tandem skydive.

Dumb fuck did a low turn on final and fuckin smashed his shit up.

Surprisingly the USPA will probably let him keep his tandem rating even though he’s a 20yo retard who’s mom owns a DZ and is on the board for USPA

nepotism for sure
>>
Bump because there’s apparently no actual skydivers on 4chan lol
>>
>>12777
they all died on impact
>>
I began in summer 2.5 years ago, but kinda lost motivation (even before covid) mainly because skydiving is a lot of waiting. Still, I'm pretty happy i tried it.
>>
>>12922
“Hurry up and wait”
That’s how it goes bro.

Get back into it
>>
File: IMG_2485.jpg (734 KB, 1536x2048)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
>>12265

kek, holy fuck, there's actually a skydiving general

what rig is everyone jumping and why am I wrong for getting a mirage?
>>
I have 9 jumps and then I wrecked my shoulder. I don't think I'm allowed here lol
>>
>>13051
>>12922

It's definitely more that in the beginning when you're slow as fuck at packing and have wind limits as a student. When you get into it more, you can crank out as many in a day as fast as you can pack.
>>
>>12265
Started skydiving in 2002 and moved on to base jumping in 2004. Made a couple hundred jumps, I will always love base jumping but skydiving was always such a case of blue balls. Too many rules, too much sitting around the dz, and way too much dz drama. It was pretty fun being in the air though.
>>
>>16955
Oh yeah, harness/container is an infinity. It's fine.
>>
fucking based general
But i am too poor to do skydiving, i had to stop after 10 jumps
fuck
>>
>mfw too poor to buy own pack
>mfw have enough for rentals
>mfw I know i should just stop for a few months to save for one
>mfw I'm only holding myself back

why am I poor

>>15607 Mirage is solid. Theyre what I used throughout my A-levels.
>>
>>17946

Kek, just save up for a real rig
>>
Best way to get into skydiving?
>>
>>19048
Find a dropzone: https://www.dropzone.com/dropzones/
Do a tandem jump
Decide if you enjoy it enough to continue
>>
>>19048

Order gear from wish
Pay local pilot to drop you
Learn by doing
>>
Fuck yeah skydiving thread !! 220 jumps here but I'm on a break because of work,can't wait to get back in the sky
>>
Pilot guy here. Don’t really wanna jump out of the plane. Seems like a pretty high risk doing it hundreds or even thousands of times.
>>
>>12922
Been working to A for 2.5 years. Fucking shit weather here.
>>
File: 1612338811179.gif (2.28 MB, 187x155)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB GIF
>>22758

Wouldn't you have to repeat jumps constantly? Most A-License courses are designed to be completed within a few months at most
>>
>>22762
Yeah I was wondering about that too. I'd have to repeat the last stage I did at the end of the prior season, after a separate dive they called an "air bath". Just making sure I covered dive flow fundamentals in those basically, and got a log entry without grading. I'd really like to continue but probably won't unless I move again. FL and VA had good weather and DZs, so I'm kicking myself in the ass for not starting while I lived there.
>>
>>12265
I'm hoping to get into skydiving this summer or the next. I've always wanted to do it scince childhood but never took the step to actually doing it. It's kinda expensive but it looks totally worth it. Going to do a tandem first, i think, my local club gives a discount to the cert course if you do a tandem with them first. Any tips for someone who wants to get into this sport?
>>
>>22859
Do the tandem, and also hang around and take it all in. Watch, talk to folks, and listen. You won't know exactly what's going on yet but you'll start getting a feel for things. Skydivers are generally cool and friendly. You'll probably meet some welcoming folks to ask some questions. If you want to get into then ask about their AFF program. https://uspa.org/skydiveschool/4
>>
>>23350
>>22859
Oops almost forgot. You can talk to them about the discount and AFF before the tandem. If they know you're interested in AFF they'll set you up with a student log book, log the tandem, and the tandem instructor may do some coaching on the way down, let you pull the chute and do some maneuvers under canopy.
>>
>>23350
>>23351
Thank you very much for the info, i appreciate it. I am not in the US, but i'm really looking forward to getting into skydiving courses. I'll do the tandem first though, that seems like a good place to start.
>>
>>21942
What do you fly? Do you wear a chute in case you need to bail?
>>
Why make a collapsible pilot chute a feature of a rig for an extra 2mph of wind reduction, it seems retarded imo its not worth the risk of the idiot user forgetting to cock the PC?
>>
>>12777
AFF-I here
>>
>>23502
Captain goes down with his ship
>>
>>23836
>>23502
Some planes when used in skydiving operations require the pilot to wear a bailout chute

Some planes recommend it, and it's always the pilots choice.
>>
>>23841
Maybe if everyone else on board had a parachute, I’d wear one too. Probably won’t dive drive though and will just become a cfi
>>
why the fuck is it so expensive. I don't know about USA but in france it's 30-40e a jump when you hav a licence. Overall it's around 10k for 300 jumps if i recall my calculations
>>
>>24474

In the US it's around $25 per jump on average, though licensing costs around $2500 and gear costs anywhere from $3000-$8000
>>
>>23505

A collapsible pilot chute will normally improve acanopy’s glide, make it easier to land, and will often let the canopy turn more smoothly and handle turbulence better. Some people believe that collapsible pilot chutes are not necessary on larger canopies, but the fact is they can improve performance on any size canopy.

Even a relatively large canopy may have a full glide speed of 30 mph or more. At this speed, an inflated pilot chute creates a substantial amount of drag, and has a significant effect on the canopy’s performance.
>>
>>24600
all of this is so fucking cool, i wish i was rich so i could get into this sport.
>>
>>23886
uh in skydiving operations other than taking someone right seat, everyone is wearing a parachute.

The recommendation comes from the airplane manufacturer and is based on the likelyhood that skydiving operations could result in a catastrophic failure of the aircraft.

Twin Otter? No one wears a bailout rig.

Caravan and 206/402? Every pilot I know wears one.

Pac? Half of pilots wear it.

Being a skydiving pilot is awesome, the people are generally cool and you get paid by the load it's steady work.
>>
>>24474
It comes down to your gear being expensive. A fully stocked rig is about 3k-7k US. Another 200-600 for helmet, goggles, altimeter.

The jump ticket reflects the price of fuel, the plane maint. and the pay for the pilot.

It's anywhere from $400-900 an hour to fly a plane, excluding fuel and pilot, and thats 2-3 loads per hour.
>>
>>23505
Good question.

For students, the PC isn't collapsable for that reason of safety.

For sport rigs, it has an effect on canopy shape and performance, the the effect that on sub 120s, a lot of people have removable pilotchutes that they take off following the opening.
>>
>>24928
Call your local dropzone and ask if you can come work as a packer. It's the best paid job on the DZ, and many people get into the sport by doing this to fund their way.

You can make 20-80 an hour packing.
>>
>>25018
>work as a packer
yes lets let any ol' joe who walks in do this life-or-death precision job. Are you sure anon? I'd actually love that, if it isn't too difficult.
>>
>>25037
Yes. You are trained and supervised while working by an FAA certified rigger.

Theres just three things to you need to do to eliminate 99% of all canopy malfunctions, and they are easy (Stow the brakes, cock the pilot cute, and prep the slider).

If you tell then you are there to hustle and work, they will train you.

You are paid per packjob, and a some DZs require you have your own LLC ($100-500 a year depending on the state, its just an online form).

It's a physically demanding job, but it pays well. You get tips from funjumpers you pack from too

What state are you in, I can help direct you.
>>
>>25082
I'm not in the United States, I'm sorry to say. But that sounds very interesting, i would definatly be interested in that.
>>
>>25098
unsure how euros do it - wouldn't hurt to call the local dz and ask
>>
>>25101
Thanks for the help, anon, i appreciate it.
>>
>>12265
I'm gonna be doing my first slack line jump in a couple of weeks, anything I should know that the instructors haven't covered?
>>
>>25492
nope, listen to them
>>
>>25013
Do you need to be rated to skydive yourself to be a skydive pilot? I haven’t looked much into it
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>23836
Based Sky King.
>>
>>25509
Oh no definitely I'm not a retard, just wondering if there's any tips you lads might have, or things you'd be happy to know before your first jump. Also in terms of attire, are sweatpants or jeans and a long sleeve shirt good to go? I was told only not to wear baggy shit.
>>
>>25520
No. You need to have your commercial rating.

Bail out rigs are emergency use only and good luck.

>>25640
You are going to be wearing a jumpsuit over your clothes, so yeah dress comfy.

Remember that every skydive carries about the same risk as driving for 45 miles on the highway, and have fun.
>>
Whats yalls experience with recurrency? filthy a-license here had to go two months with no jumps because I was out to sea. Think I have to do FJC again or just a coach refresh?
>>
File: IMG_2612.jpg (887 KB, 1080x1115)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
>>15607
nothing wrong with mirage brother
>>
>>25640
>You are going to be wearing a jumpsuit over your clothes, so yeah dress comfy.
I will not be wearing a jumpsuit, they specifically told us to dress appropriately
>>
File: moe-v-parapack.jpg (11 KB, 183x275)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>12780
> party till impact

>>12265
I know the other TM in that video, he has a DZ in Morgantown, WV. I wonder if the manufacturer is going to go after them for doing a little bit a crew as well.

>>16142
Stick around man, you made a couple of jumps so you're cool.

>>21942
I'm a pilot too, it's not as bad as you think. The gear is pretty bullet proof if you maintain it correctly and follow proper procedures just like everything else in aviation.

>>24600
I got to be honest but I don't buy this argument unless you're on a sub 110 ft fully elliptical canopy with thin lines. For everyone else the drag from the PC is negligible. It's just manufacturer marketing.

>>26151
I took a 4 year break at 220 jumps and just did a hop and pop at 3k out of a 182 to get recurrent. Helps that I was a pilot and never left the air. You won't have to do a FJC course again, probably just have to go up with an instructor.
>>
>>26774
>>>24600
>I got to be honest but I don't buy this argument unless you're on a sub 110 ft fully elliptical canopy with thin lines. For everyone else the drag from the PC is negligible. It's just manufacturer marketing.

not true, stop talking
>>
>>26860
Bullshit dude. You're telling me that someone on a NAV 260 needs a collapsible PC? Fuck outta here.
>>
File: 1601746791199.jpg (55 KB, 1002x797)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>26156

mah nig
>>
>>26901

Not that anon, poster from 24600 here.

I think that it's a good idea for people, especially students on a NAV, to use a collapsible pilot chute.

It's inevitable they're going to downsize (unless you're a landwhale), better to learn once and get it drilled into you how to cock a pilot chute; rather than have to relearn a critical skill down the line
>>
>>26327

Don't wear a hoodie, the hood flaps like crazy.

Don't wear anything baggie like jackets, when you're falling the material may cover your emergency handles (on your chest).

Don't wear sandals, they may fall off, but also don't wear high-top boots, in case you have a bad landing it may cause a sprain. Just wear regular shoes.

Temperature at altitude can be up to -30F lower than on the ground, and during freefall there is windchill to keep in mind. Make sure to wear thin layers rather than a big thick article of clothing, just like skiing.

Otherwise, have fun!
>>
>>15607
JAV
>>
>>27073
So jeans/sweatpants and a not too baggy thermal long sleeve shirt and some running shoes should be g2g?
>>
>>27403

That's exactly what I wear when I go jumping and don't feel like wearing a jumpsuit, you're gucci
>>
>>27521
Awesome thanks bud! I'm psyched and spookd at the same time
>>
File: IMG_9992.jpg (509 KB, 1763x1101)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
Been on 4chins for 15 years and never thought I would ever see a skydiving general.
>>
>>12265
What do if I want to get into wingsuit diving but I hated skydiving?
>>
Would it be odd to go skydiving for the first time without telling my friends and family?
>>
>>28034

You need a minimum of 200 skydiving jumps, so good luck with that :^)

>>28232

Not at all, it's very safe, but you ask the average person and they'll think you've got a death wish or something
>>
>>28232
I told my parents I'm taking a skydiving course, but didn't tell them when my jumps are lol
>>
>>28034
Depends - do you wanna wingsuit base jump? Then quit right now before you kill yourself.

Do you wanna wingsuit in the sky? Stick with skydiving for 200 jumps - do a lot of tracking and angle flying, even get a tracking suit. I have friends who took the course at 200 and have done nothing but wingsuit for the last 4 years.
>>
>>28232
Absolutely not. Do it for you, focus on the experience not putting on a show for people. That first jump changed my life and I was alone. Since then I've made 2k jumps, been around the world and made the best friends of my life in this sport.
>>
>>28361
Those late night bonfires after a sunset pull drinking beers
>>
>>28418
fuck yea
>>
>>27863
I used to make them on /ASP/
>>
>>28360
>>28240
Is there no way to buy a suit illegally before 200?
>>
>>28655
You can buy a suit sure, but no one will let you near a plane. And if you want to base jump with zero experience, lmao, there's easier ways to kill yourself.
>>
>>27068
>lets have people on FJC learn about cocking a pilot chute

No.

The premise is that as per my original post >>23505 its pointless, like >>26774 said it's marketing BS that is making skydiving less safe for no tangible benefit for 99.9% of jumpers.
>>
>>28852
I'm not joking when I say this - my turn rig is a nav 200 with non collapseable pilot chute, and my main is a JFX 99.

When you get to a 170 and below, a non collapseable pilot chute will steal 1-3mph foreward speed and is noticeable, not only for running a pattern, but in the effect it has pulling on the top skin of the center cell when reinflating and turning. It's not a gimmick.
>>
>>28823
Oh cool. And this is not really illegal, it's just against USPA guidelines, right?
>>
>>29023
It’s illegal and you’ll eventually die
>>
>>29138
Lol I'm pretty sure the federal government does not regulate recreational skydiving
>>
>>29023
>>29138
>>29159
AFF-I here - I could put my grandmother in a VK64 and toss her out of the airplane by herself with no training and it would be legal as far as the Feds are concerned.

But seriously - get the 200 jumps. There's a lot to learn in terms of navigation, landing off, flying your canopy, group freefall skills, body position, handling speed that you will need in wingsuiting, as well as nailing stable exits so you don't hit the tail and kill everyone,or end up in a flatspin and no pull. Also you're going to want a longer bridle on your pilot chute, and will quickly outgrow the beginner wingsuit you learn on (that most instructors let you fly for free).

It's a good thing it's a 200 jump minimum. Could you buy a wingsuit on facebook, toss it on and jump out somewhere? Possibly, most likely unless someone knew you they wouldn't stop you, but you would also most likely end up with an AAD fire, a two out from a PC in tow, or going in due to a flatspin.
>>
>>29169
Yeah I obviously understand /why/ there's a 200-jump minimum, it's just that I really didn't enjoy skydiving, so I'm not sure I'm really up for more of it
>>
>>29180
What don't you like about it? What about wingsuiting do you like?
>>
>>29195
Well wingsuiting looks cool and I just want to try it, but the first and only time I skydove I had an extremely negative reaction. I thought I was ready, and consciously felt safe and committed, but my body absolutely freaked the fuck out. It was pure terror. I was hyperventilating, I couldn't breathe, my heart was absolutely racing, and it was just awful. When I got to the ground I fell over and could not walk because I had no control of myself, and everyone was laughing at me because I looked like a faggot. It was so weird because I was consciously not scared or worried but my body was and there was this huge disconnect. I was also all cold (probably underdressed) and it was a really weird feeling of all the air rushing in my face, that I was not prepared for. So I don't know, I still am interested in wingsuit flying, but I don't really want to force myself to skydive (which I'm not really into) again.
>>
>>29294
Try going to the wind tunnel if there's one nearby. Also don't stare at the ground. You got sensory overload,, it's common among first time jumpers, a lot are even unresponsive in the air

Give it another shot or fly in the wind tunnel to see if you like it
>>
>>29294

Totally natural reaction to your first time jumping out of a freaking plane!

Don't get down, you feeling cold and losing control is common from a massive adrenaline dump.

Also, don't feel embarassed from retards laughing at you.
>>
>>29492
Do you think it will go away if I keep jumping?
>>
>>29538
Yeah you desensitize quickly (6-10 jumps)
>>
Bump for anyone who wants to skydive - YES YOUR FIRST JUMP CAN BE WITH YOUR OWN PARACHUTE

Its called AFF, it's a training class followed by a jump with two instructors holding your harness for stability and to pull for you if you freeze up.

Generally a tandem is recommended but almost 20 percent of the sport never did a single tandem.
>>
>>29940
If only there were tandem wingsuits
>>
>>29538

Yeah, honestly, try another tandem and see how you feel.

My first time skydiving (tandem) I can barely remember I was freaking out so much. Decided to do a second tandem to see how it was now that I knew what to expect.

Suffice to say it went great, signed up for the AFF course there and then. Been jumping since.

Still, didn't get over the door fear until jump 19 or so. But, the adrenaline dump on the first jump is typically limited to the first jump.
>>
>>29949

Do you realize that wingsuiting involves skydiving? You jump out at the same height, you experience a bit of free fall and you're under a canopy afterwards.
>>
>>30115

yeah but it's different
>>
I'm doing my first static line jump on the 10th, I'm hyped lads
>>
>>32273
get to a windtunnel m8
>>
>>32310
No windtunnels in my country, and shit's expensive too, I'll get to it eventually
>>
>Was thinking of syncing $1k (1 hour) on learning back flying in tunnel.
>racked up 1 hour, 45 mins of tunnel time & completed Flyer Level 1 on IBA
>Got off AFF in 2020
>Tunnel time help immensely
>However was only able to do 1 solo before work got in the way
>Currently waiting for student stuff to resume at local DZ

Advice on approaching back flying? Tried it before in my last tunnel session but was only able to get somewhat stable before getting stuck in a left turn.
>>
File: vog.png (356 KB, 593x596)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
Anyone here tried out the VOG audible and have an opinion on it?
>>
>>32510
It takes a bit to click before you get it, take your time and think about it
>>
>>32798
Never heardof it
>>
File: 1606235222845.png (194 KB, 758x644)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
Guys I need advice. I have 129 jumps but I haven't jumped since Feb of 2020 due to covid and shit. I was jumping a Sabre 2 135 that I have about 9 jumps on as I just bought it right before my DZ got shut down. I was 131lbs when I was jumping it but I'm 151 at 5'10" now. You guys think it's a mistake jumping straight into the 135 again? Should I sell and get a bigger rig? Kinda nervous desu, I was landing fine with it before.
>>
i did two tandem jumps last summer it was one of the coolest things i've ever done. however i have no interest in doing another tandem. whats the quickest way to get to solo jumping?
>>
>>34305
Quickest? Go to some shithole south american, south east asian, or african country and jump, they don't give a shit.
>>
First slack jump this Saturday lads, I've never done a tandem or anything similar so I'm both scared and psyched, pray for me
>>
>>34358
kek. i was thinking like an online class or an indoor training facility?

i don't want to have some dude ask me to step into the harness and fasten it for me again. it's worth it in the end, but i would really like to jump on my own. having some dude strapped to your back kinda takes away from the experience. first time he made me feel safe, second time i was just like "bro i wish you weren't here"
>>
>>34204
Upsize to a 150 for about 15 jumps at least, get the timing and piloting back before you consider going back to the 135. The short lines make it so you can gain more acceleration to the ground and injure yourself quicker

T. Jumps at a 2.4 wingloading
>>
>>34305
Go to uspa's website find a dz that does AFF.

You take an 8 hour course in the ground and jump with two instructors holding you, and you have your own parachute
>>
>>34204
Good advice here >>34777

Ask to borrow a 150 from someone at your DZ.

Failing that, ask for a low pass at 5k so you don't have to worry about traffic, and do a good amount of practice stages and flares up high.

Run a good pattern, and if you stage too high, remember to hold it for a second or two and slowly finish the flare as your feet touch down.

If the ground is coming up fast and it's going to hurt or injure you - you can never stab out hard enough.

I've landed the sabre2 135 no stage no flare at 140 pounds.
>>
>>34876
>stab out
Newbie here, what does this mean?
>>
>>34909
Pulling your toggles as hard as you can for full flare. Typically it's used to describe people who can't swoop, who turn too low to complete a turn before planing outand have to stab downwards to avoid injuring themselves.

It has the effect of (if you have enough vertical space) giving you lift and increasing your altitude
>>
>>34924
Is that only for smaller chutes? I can't imagine my student parachute getting lift from a full flare, if anything I'd stall it out.
>>
>>34927
my turn rig for the last two years was a Nav200 and I currently weight about 155.

Yes. If you (at full flight, or even better, during the late state of the recovery arc following a turn) you pull both toggles down into a flare, the Nav will pop up.

It can stall if you hold it there.
>>
>>34934
In fact we have had students break ankles on landing by going full flare at 10 feet instead of staging, popping up 5-10 feet, and letting go of the toggles.
>>
>>34706

Look into AFF or Static Line, and go for your A-license.

Training to be a skydiver doesn't necessarily include doing a tandem, but it's a good thing you did a tandem and enjoyed it.
>>
>>34876
How much do you think I could even get for my rig man? I've noticed rig prices have gone up a bunch as with everything else.

Mirge g4 with literally every single option (MARD, stainless steel, FF friendly, hook knife etc ) less than 50 jumps
Sabre 2 135, october 2019 MFR date, less than 20 jumps
PD Optimum 143 no rides, 3 repacks
Cypress 2 expert until 2027

Everything other than the main has a 2015 manufacture date and was bought new together.
>>
>>35712
I have no idea what gear is worth, I got sponsored in college and bought new gear at 40% discount, started with a 170 and now put a 99 in it...

I would say that in general take about $1-1.75 off the canopy per jump.

Mirages sell well. Are you going to get out of the sport?
>>
>>35712

Dunno, ask a rigger kek
>>
File: IMG_2064.jpg (148 KB, 684x912)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
$4000-$5000 probably just look at the gear pages of facebook and you should get a good idea of what everything goes for
>>
>my first AFF jump

https://streamable.com/msivr
>>
>>37097
Not bad brother
>>
>>37097
Damn that was a long ass open I thought you were gonna have to cut for a while
>>
>>37152
>>37214
Thank you senpai

Yes very long opening and line twists + landing in forest. Was first jump had no reference on normal opening. Lucky the pilot chute managed to do its job in the finish.
>>
>>37097
>>37274

Watching that I audibly yelled "what the fuck" when you just hung there with your bag out, top kek my man
>>
>>37274
Did they not teach you what a good opening looks like and how to deal with malfunctions and when to cut? Lol
>>
>>12265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq-54gox6-k
>>
Never skydived before and just went for my AFF and completed it. Also had two solo jumps. I want to buy gear but its so expensive in New Zealand.
>>
>>38808
Commit crime and steal it
>>
>>38862
Crime is illegal in New Zealand
>>
>>38971
Join a BLM peaceful protest and acquire anything you want for free
>>
>>12265
Paragliding/speedflying is way more fun than skydiving and has less deadtime in my opinion.
>>
>>38808
Become a packer
>>
>>39295
I already have a job
>>
File: 1605925505631.jpg (23 KB, 470x325)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>39258

good for you
>>
>>39421
Welp, if it's expensive and you need the cash, pack on the weekends to subsidize your gear purchase.
>>
Did 4 static line jumps, shit is cash, can't wait to get off the fag rope and start pulling my own shit. I'm hooked already.
>>
>>40738
just wait till you get to go head down brother
>>
>>41038
I honestly can't fucking wait, probably won't get to do any jumps this weekend or next, but I wanna get through them asap and start getting some free falling in the mix too. Hoping to get my loicense by October/November
>>
>>12265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzW_5x1M4Uc
>>
File: Helmet Sizing.png (27 KB, 731x694)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
My head is 57.8cm what do lads
>>
>>41434
sizing a helmet without trying it on is a gamble. with my last motorcycle helmet i was right on the borderline like you are and i went to the larger size and it feels perfect.
>>
>>41439
Bit of a difficult situation for me as I have to order from overseas. I think I'll go with XL
>>
>>41226
God that looks so fun.

I got my A license in 2019 but havent done a single jump since. I'd like to get back into it soon and maybe get my own chute the only size ive done is 360 any advice on where to start?
>>
https://youtu.be/8bEba7CaNKg

Seriously guys?? This is how you die.
Some of them look experienced as well.....
>>
>>41657
>360
Do you mean 260
>>
>>41701
No it was a 9 cell 360 sq ft canopy I'd have to dig up my log but I think I did 25-30 jumps with it.
>>
>>41708

Do they even make 360ft canopies outside of tandem wings? A buddy of mine just bought a PD Nav 300 and I'm pretty sure that's the biggest sport canopy on the market
>>
File: mp360.png (702 KB, 630x658)
702 KB
702 KB PNG
>>41896
It isn't really a sport chute we did a lot of jumping with weighted bags as well hence the big size. Ill link to the company that I went through

https://www.cpsworld.com/equipment/main-canopies/military-phoenix-mp-series/
>>
>>41920

kek, why tho
>>
>>12265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDfUEUPmtWw
>>
>>25013
twotter/caravan pilot here. can confirm, wear a chute in the caravan, tail is low enough for idiots (mostly wingsuits) to deploy early and hit the tail. Used to fly a van with 2 nice shin imprints on the tail where a wingsuit broke his 2 legs.

No chute in the twotter because seat doesn't go back far enough, the prop is in the way of of me bailing out, and anyways the tail is higher and the twotter is build like a fucking tank.
>>
>>12265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocwDTsIvQE
>>
From NL guys.
First did my tandem dive in Florida, kinda made me feel alive and if i was cheating on nature Just with scuba, i feels like i am cheating mother nature by breathing underwater.

So to get it clear
The AFF means i learn to skydive by myself, including how to parachute properly?

Does this mean, that if there is a nice summer day i can rent gear, book a spot on the plane (EUR 28 for 13000 feet) and jump off solo? Assuming there are other people in the plane that are also jumping alone or in a group.

>or is there something between the AFF and able to rent gear and jump alone?
>>
>>44994

Also wondering, is the person packing your reserve chute and the person packing your main chute different? I can assume if (lets say) i make a mistake packing my chute, there is a likelyhood that i also made a mistake with my reserve. Hence the two-person principle, just a tought i had in my head.
>>
File: 1620184065367.png (277 KB, 469x452)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
>>44769

why does this average tandem video have 4 million views

>>44994
>>44995

AFF jumps 1-8 get you cleared to jump solo and do coach jumps. At jump 25 you can get your A-license. Your A-license lets you do basically everything (jump with other people, do everything based on your skill level rather than on your jump number, etc)

When you get your A-license, then yes, you can rent gear (or buy your own gear and not pay rental fees). Go to the dropzone, pay for the ride up to altitude, and jump out!

You'll get bored of jumping solo pretty rapidly, as it's hard to improve your skills on your own, you'll want to jump with others and do cool stuff

--------

The person who packs your reserve is an FAA rigger, who has gone through a long process to make sure they can pack your reserve perfectly. This is your backup so you want to be sure it's going to work. It needs to be repacked every 180 days if you want to keep jumping.

The main chute is packed by yourself, or you can pay someone to pack it for you, this person doesn't need to have any qualification to pack. The main is much easier to pack than the reserve, and needs to be packed each jump.

The chance of a malfuctioning main canopy is about 1 in 1000. The chance of a double malfunction is closer to 1 in a million.
>>
>>44996
>why does this average tandem video have 4 million views
No idea. I just pulled a video to bump the thread.
>>
File: 1579541198913.jpg (28 KB, 211x212)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>44997

I kneel anon-sama
>>
>>44996

Thanks for the explanation, a few more questions.

So what exactly is a coach jump? Do i have to pay for the coach and myself to jump? Is that like jump 7 and 8 of the AFF. He jumps with me, but only intervenes when necessary?
>>
File: 1550003931393.png (497 KB, 593x671)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>>45001

Coach jumps are jumps where you need to jump with someone with a coach rating. A coach rating can be had by anyone with at least 100 jumps and a B license.

Coach jumps typically cost around 50-80 bucks, because you're paying for your own jump, their jump, and their teaching ability. They'll basically be there to help improve your jump by doing practice drills in the air, using hand signals to correct your form, and debriefing the jump afterward. It's similar to the final stages of AFF, although cheaper as you're not paying for AFF instruction, and the coach may not necessarily have an AFF-instructor rating.

In my opinion they're a bit of a cashgrab by the DZ. But you need to do coach jumps before you can get your A-license, though you can probably get away with doing regular jumps (with people or solo) depending on your DZ. When you get your A-license you're under no obligation to do coach jumps anymore.
>>
>>45271
AFF-I here

It's not a cash grab - Coach jumps are where you learn group freefall abilities - tracking, docking, levels and exits - as well as gear maintenance, exit separation, spotting, basic canopy skills, and aircraft exit order.

If you've ever seen someone come out of Spaceland's A License in a week program, you can recognize why this is important - since they aren't getting paid for these jumps. I've had 3 people come out of their programs and either almost kill me on a jump, or someone in the next group. Another said "What's three ring maintenance?" after having a baglock and a cutaway that didn't separate off the rings.

Done properly, it's about 1+ hour of instruction per jump and this is where the main skydiving ability comes from - but only if the coach is good and proper.
>>
>>41920
>>41896
Yeah military canopies for jumping with 150-250 pounds of gear
>>
>>41434
Put someone elses on, or get a Cookie like a professional.
>>
HELLO SKYDIVING FELLOWS, I LOVE TO FALL FROM HIGH PLACES, IM A SKYDIVER FOR SURE, I FLY A RAVEN 390FT WITH A 7TU RESERVE, IN A DOLPHIN CONTAINER. 12.000 JUMPS SKYGOD HERE HELLO
>>
File: 1616605663342.jpg (246 KB, 1080x1080)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>jump at skydive spain
>top notch safety
>can't get on plane without having aad checked by load master
>multiple checks on the ground and before exit

>go back home jumping
>ask for gear check
>hear audible sighing
>can get on plain w/o having gear check
>been on loads without a jump master with some n00b larping as a jump
master

Not sure which view on skydiving I prefer.
>>
>>46866
I need to know who this girl is
>>
>>46981
you need to shut the fuck up
>>
File: 1554250179239.gif (204 KB, 404x416)
204 KB
204 KB GIF
>>47373

I kneel anon-sama
>>
File: 1620872014465.jpg (496 KB, 1242x1396)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
story and question time

Maybe you guys can help me out. I did my first IAD dive Sunday. It was fucking awesome and I'd like to continue doing this. Its a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

However, the landing got fucked up and I ended up faceplanting and flipping over my head AND feet, landing face/chest down in the dirt. Basically doing a 450 degree flip. I could feel a hard impact was coming up in the last second or two and I'm pretty sure I nailed the skydiver roll, otherwise I might have a cast on my legs and/or a broken neck and would not be bitching to you people.

The jump itself went great, and I was being radioed in from 1000 feet. I was partially flaring/trying to slow down a lot from 1000 (staging area I think?) to 600 (first turn?) to 300 (final approach). Guess I was just being a pussy. I didn't get any "stop flaring" instructions until what I am going to guesstimate was around 150 feet. At that point, and its a bit hazy cause shit got really real real quick, my radio instructor tells me to let go of the flares. I didn't feel comfortable doing so cause I wanted to slow the fuck down but wasn't gonna contradict what the radio instructor said, so I did it. I let the flares out and for some reason didn't really pick up speed that much, (from what I can tell, again its hazy). After a second or two, radio man yells "flare flare flare flare!" but again, no real noticeable change in speed and I end up slamming into the ground.

I never got an explanation as to what happened. Clearly I didn't know what the fuck was going on, and after the landing I was too dazed to even think about asking. The people I went with said I got 3-4 holy shit's from the experienced skydivers that were waiting for the next ride, and I also got a "tough motherfucker" from a jacked looking dude and some painkillers from another guy who seemed to really give a shit about how I was doing. Props to that dude.
>>
File: 1588367377505.jpg (144 KB, 750x1000)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>48008
So yay, I can take a hit and get back up. But what I really want to know is, from this story, can you people tell me what the fuck happened here? I have my own theory from my own research I've done in the days since, but idk how accurate it is.
>Coming in around 300 feet
>Partially flaring because I'm a pussy
>Shouldn't have been flaring, flaring was likely fucking my canopy up
>radio instructor somehow doesn't notice my arms holding a fucking half flare
>Due to my canopy being fucked from flaring, radio instructor tells me to stop flaring so I can gain some control and final stopping power back
>but its already too fucking late
>letting go of the flares just causes me to speed up
>gain some speed but not enough to really fuck me up
>radio guy panics, screams at me to flare
>I flare, but my canopy is fucked from the constant changes in a short period of time, and the small amount of slowing down isn't enough for anything but a hard as fuck landing

This might be bullshit. Let me know if it is. What do you fegs think?

Second question here is, should I go back there? The diving is cheap as fuck, everyone was friendly, and the instructor that actually taught us and went up in the plane to throw us out was great. But I am pretty sure I was let down in a big way by the radio guy. Ultimately yeah, you are responsible for yourself flying a canopy, but if you're a first time jumper, aren't you supposed to be able to trust the dude radioing you instructions? It was hazy and I barely remember it, but I am pretty sure he apologized to me, and my friends said the people watching felt I got bad instructions to stop flaring judging by how I dove into the ground.
I felt I wasn't going to go back unless I felt I could trust myself to land myself, or the instructors, and right now I don't see a good reason to trust either.

And thanks for reading my long ass story. I really did enjoy the jump a fuckton, but given what happened I am really on the fence about continuing.
>>
Take the /freefall/ pill, don’t pack a parachute. The adrenaline rush would be insane
>>
>>48008
>>48009
This you? https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyDiving/comments/neoei0/level_5_aff_failed_landing/
>>
File: 1596167501493.gif (1.68 MB, 276x360)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>48526
lmao holy shit no, I did an IAD dive. But thats eerily similar. Maybe instead of yelling to flare at what looks like under 5 ft in that vid, my radio guy yelled flare at somewhere between 5-10 ft. So mine wasn't as bad. Interesting debate in that thread, basically exactly what I've been learning.

tl;dr learn to land completely on your own and get it down solid or don't fucking bother cause some jackass on the ground is just gonna make it worse
>>
>>48528
I did my only 4 jumps so far with a slack line and no landing assistance, as did every other of the 14 or so people in my group. I never even knew you could have someone on the ground assisting you, the instructors basically told us how/what to do and expected us to pull it of. No one got hurt as far as I know. I kinda feel if I had some dude screaming in my ear after I've just flung myself out of a plane for the first time it would only disorient me and make me panic, doing shit on my own really helped methinks. I got two really soft landings, one where I stumbled and fell, and one where I stayed on my feet in those 4 jumps
>>
>>48533
How do you land with a slackline?

But yeah. The landing instruction situation at my DZ for the AFF/IAD divers was...kinda shit imo looking back on this. I know I'm a newb but we got 15-20 mins of instruction on how to do it on the instruction day, which was rained out. Then when I come back roughly 3-4 weeks later do they drill you at all on what to do? Nah, just how to exit the plane, make sure you arch and how to deploy your spare. Nothing about landing.
I feel like thats reversed from what it should be. The only sure thing is that you're gonna land, they should have drilled how to land way more. Or at least tested that we knew wtf to do. I didn't know shit about what to do coming in for the landing, looking back on it it seems increasingly insane.
I think I nailed the PLF though, which might be one of the two reasons I walked away mostly fine, instead of the guy in the reddit thread who apparently had to be driven to the hospital.
>>
>>48545
>How do you land with a slackline?
I meant static line, I'm retarded and also tired. It's the same shit as if you opened your own chute during aff/iad, there's really no difference. I guess the only difference was the instruction part, because they drilled emergency procedures and landing a whole lot.
>>
>>48528
We teach two things - Stage and Flare.

Stage you start about 12 feet off the ground - you pull down to about halfway point until you plane out stopping your vertical descent - then you wait a second or two and finish with a flare which stops your forward speed.
>>
>>48744
The taught us two things at the Sneed DZ - Seed and Feed.
>>
>>48833
What a coincidence, they also taught us two things at Chucks DZ
>>
>>48956
what fun places
>>
What are the odds this rig costs under $10k
>>
>>51173
The container alone costs nearly $6500

My best friend does the canopy training for them
>>
>>51309

Damn
>>
File: afcy9qsr76w61.jpg (121 KB, 640x640)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Infuriating weather today. Hot and clear, but right on the edge of being safe to jump with wind. Five students at the DZ (way more than normal) and one half hour it's calm enough, then as we suit em up it pops back up again. They waited 7 fucking hours to jump and we suited them up twice only to have to yank em when the gusts picked up by 2 knots.

I'm used to hurrying up and waiting. But I fucking hate doing that to students. They had their whole day ruined. I know, nothing anyone can do. I'm just blowing off steam.
>>
>>51656
I've spent two whole days at the DZ as a student waiting for winds to come down and they never did....
>>
>>51662
Yeah. Its probably just getting to me as I am new to teaching. It sucked to see them come in all hyped the fuck up, and gradually just fucking die over the course of 7 hours and 90+ degree heat until they one by one gave up. Oh, and the wind died down. If they had waited one more hour they could have gotten a jump in. But I don't think they even cared at that point. This was easily the most students we've had at once here and it just leaves a real sour taste in my mouth to have literally all of them bust hard like that.

I'll be in a better mood tomorrow guys I promise.
>>
>>51699
Yeah it's rough, we used to operate Thursday-Sunday and a few years ago there was 3 weekends in a row we couldn't get any students up due to weather days, and winds. It sucks to tell them and drain their enthusiasm but theres no real way around it.
>>
>>51656
>>51699
I thought this was my DZ you're talking about but then figured you're american
>>
>>12265
Did it a couple of times in Australia, but I lost motivation when I moved to Berlin. The weather is a nightmare and the sight is horrible

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.