[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tsg_day_out.jpg (353 KB, 1280x720)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
The Surfing General

First edition edition

>how do I learn to surf?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwL5_57C6w

>How do I pick the right board?
Use a volume calculator, and find the right board type for your local break or waves you want to ride
https://www.jsindustries.com/volume-calculator
https://www.boardcave.com/surfboard-volume-calculator

>how do I know if the waves are good?
go check surfline or magicseaweed for reports
>>
>>121893
>First edition

We had a thread for more than a year here. It probably still hasn't reached page 10.
>>
>>121974
That was the pilot edition now we are officially having our first edition edition
>>
File: 1661993112097295.jpg (69 KB, 430x311)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>121893
Nigger
>>
>>121893
Fuck off we're full
>>
Bodyboarders welcome?
>>
>>122345
no
>>
>>122526
Lame
I’m a manlet (5’6”)
What size surf board can I get so I can stop body boarding ?
>>
>>122345
no go start a dick dragger general
>>122565
7ft 6 soft top or something gay like that
>>
>moving to MA soon
>read online that cape cod can be a good spot for surfing if you ignore sharks and such
>everywhere on the internet it says the best time of the year for cape surfing is starting at sept
>been checking magicseaweed all sept - oct on some cape beaches
>no star/1 (unfilled) star 99% of the time and the other 1% isn't much better with 2 full stars being the max I've ever seen EVER
>check some beach cams too so I can confirm the info is right and it always is
This feels like shit. Whoever wrote those articles about MA surfing must have been on fucking weed.
>>
>>123025
>MA
Wouldn't it be cold as fuck as well? you're basically in canada up there
>>
How much better are reef and point breaks than beach breaks? I've surfed a fair amount of beach breaks but nothing else, are they actually that shitty?
>>
>>123755
My scale from fun to intense goes
>Beachies
>Point breaks
>Reefs
>Slabs

However I'd rather any of the later 3 on a big day over a beachies. More predictable and less like to get caught with 10 on the head.
>>
>>123755
A good point break can be God tier good. Like legitimately the most fun I can imagine having
>Same wave everytime
>Perfect wall
>30 second rides
>Do whatever you want
That said there are good and shit points
Reefs can be good but hitting the bottom is quite painful and you can't be as carefree as a beachy but normally you can really feel the power difference to a beachy
>>
>>123789
>A good point break can be God tier good. Like legitimately the most fun I can imagine having

Agreed, plus you can paddle out around them rather than through like a beach break.
When two or more connect it's possible to ride so long your legs get tired and you'll kick out with some wave left just so you can rest.
River mouths and estuaries can also be a blast with similar consistency and often a combintion of current and bottom shape that produces deep bowls that jack up quickly, especially where a jetty is involved.
My home spot for years was like that: jump in the current to get out, wait at the takeoff spot next to the jetty for a big bowl to form around and launch you, play around across the channel then off the lip and glide ahead on the other side just in time for the sandbar to engage like a point break and if you want connect from that to the beach break on the inside.
The other cool thing with that jetty was that there was a refractive action so that a swell would come straight in and look promising but not peak until it was way inside, and way further away from the jetty....but right behind it peeling off the rocks was the refraction that was angled about 30° from the first wave and would produce that big bowl effect.
That first wave was super enticing so it would distract and draw the uninitiated and impatient away from the real takeoff spot behind it...then you had less interference and an audience as you got the best waves over and over and over and over.
>>
anyone here kitesurf?
>>
>>124109
sounds fun whats the break?

What do you guys ride?
>>
>>124504
I'm taking a wild guess of Moruya. But that would be random as fuck.
>>
>>122345
oi cunt
>>
>>124228
I do in San Francisco
>>
>>124109
It's called a peak you kook faggot.
>>
Based
>>
Galveston Texas
Flagship
9'1" Senator performance LB
>>
>>123755
Beachies are absolutely dogshit compared to a good point / reef. The wave always breaks over the same spot in the same way so it's very predictable and perfect for practicing your turns, you won't have to paddle like an idiot to get out and especially on big days that really is very nice
>>
>>121893
Should I do windsurfing or Wing Foiling?
>>
>>125494
location of your intended body of water?
>>
>>125539
I live by a large river with some small islands and no beaches
>>
File: hatch.jpg (36 KB, 480x360)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>125608

it's going to depend a lot on how the wind works where you are, but I know there are some people doing absolutely batshit crazy cool wingfoil runs from the Hatchery in the columbia river.

My vague understanding is that they are basically able to foil across the wind, upstream against the current, then just come back down with the current so they get like a downwinder type scenario without having to shuttle.

You're going to want to check out and keep an eye on wind forecast websites and go scout places you think you might want to get on the water. Wings are a lot easier to get in to compact launch sites than windsurf gear.
>>
>>125494
you should get a surfboard you gay homosexual wind surfing is a democrat sport for sissies
>>
>>126150
It's literally impossible to surf where I live otherwise I would
>>
>>125608
Can you surf the river

Anyone watching the challenger series
>>
I live near galveston. I tried surfing once but it was a short board that was too short and the time I went out it was choppy and shit breaks. Nearly died getting back to shore. What size board do I need to learn with the kind of crappy surf Galveston gets. I do know generally when good surf is supposed to be occurring so its possible I will see 5+ waves eventually.
>>
>>127515
Weight height age physical fitness level? This all matters. Also, do you want a strictly beginner board or, something you'll enjoy for years?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.