[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Round

/box/ is a community home to the sport of boxing. Post tips, questions, gear and routines relating to the training of boxing as an amateur sport. Discussion of professional boxing is welcome as well
>>
>>11964
Professional boxing belongs on /sp/
>>
>>12198
But boxing is an extreme sport. You can get punched in the face!
>>
get the f out , this place belongs to the streets now
>>
I joined what might be the worst boxing gym a few months ago.
>also offer krav maga classes
>no punching bags
>I'm the only one in shape there
>coach didn't know the standard is to have the dominant hand behind
>he doesn't let we spar because he doesn't want blood in the floor because it will scare the women there (i guess he doesn't know light sparring is a thing)
I'm a kickboxer and joined because I wanted to get a better punching game to compensate my short reach, but honestly I think I'm better off training on my own. I started meeting with a friend to spar boxing in a park and I feel like is helping me more than that gym.
>>
yo
>>
>>12603
Yeah it is, but professional sports belongs on sp, we don't have /UFC/ here for a reason, but there are mma threads.
>>
>>14337
Yeah, but by the same logic boxing should have thread here as well. /sp/ is for spectators, the pro matches, the show. /xsp/ is for the art of boxing, the sportsmen, amateur or otherwise.
>>
>>14345
There already are people in /box/ who box. This shit doesn't belong here
>>
>>14345
I'm not saying it shouldn't have a thread, this is a thread, just saying professional boxing belongs on SP and discussion of training boxing and things related to that belongs on here.
>>
>>11964
based. American Martial Arts are the best. Boxing & Wrestling stomps all.
>>
File: 1541076246288.png (655 KB, 847x1200)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
is discussing Boxing portrayed in Manga allowed here?
>>
>>11964
literally not extreme.
fuck off you stupid fucking niggers
>>
>>14345
FUCKING FUCK OFFFFFF
>>
I hope I'll find a gym soon. I'm at least 10 years too old to start boxing, but I love it too much.
For now working on my cardio, core and losing weight.
>>
>>12198
>>14337
That's complete bullshit. Judo is an Olympic sport and so is fencing. BJJ has its own sports league as well. Wrestling also has a sports league. Why can't boxing be here for the people who practice it? It's a Martial Art just like the rest.
>>
>>13470
>coach didn't know the standard is to have the dominant hand behind
What the fuck?
>>
>>11964
>Tips
Don't ever get into boxing unless you have subhuman IQ and want to be a vegetable

>Questions
are boxers shoot retarded?

>Gear
a comfy snack and a safe seat while I watch 2 retards cause permanent brain damage to each other for my entertainment.

>Routines
Routinely laugh at it being a ""sport""

>Discussion of professional boxing
PUnCh you in Da FaCe but only professionally. ok, retard
>>
File: thisisbait.png (66 KB, 625x626)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>14969
>>
fist fencing is the /extreme/ sport of gents
>>
>>13470
That sucks, but I understand. He's not running a boxing gym, he's running a fitness business, and women are, by far, the better customers in the fitness industry.
>buy more clothes and gear
>sign up for group classes where the trainers scale their time
>often get their friends to sign up with them wherever they work out
>all in addition to paying the standard monthly membership fee
So it makes sense that he'd tone the intensity down to protect his income. But it does, clearly, show that it's not a real boxing gym.
>>
>>14426
no, especially not when it's a jobber like Gaolose Wangsabad.
>>
>>12198
Is this a shitpost?
>>
boastin this pistoric thread
>>
>>13470
Man my local boxing gym isn't even open.
>>
Learning to box with a m8 who has a very small bit of experience usuing youtube videos. Shit's good fun. Anything I should know for the post-coof times when I go to an actual gym? Beyond having decent cardio and obvious shit like that.
>>
I've small hands, thin forearms and weak wrists. Everytime I do push ups or lift weights my wrists hurt. It seems I've genetically bad upper body. Will this have a affect on boxing? should I still pick up boxing or just look for a different martial art?
>>
File: Jeff Mayweather.jpg (95 KB, 1280x824)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Posting good shit:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnwa0x
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnwavc
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnwblv
Good shit for beginners
>>
>>11964
At least make the thread about bare-knuckle boxing or something. Professional boxing is not an extreme sport and belongs on /sp/.
>>
>>16690
Thanks, bro.
>>
>>16740
It probably still don't replace in person advice from a trainer, but it's a lot better than some youtube bullshit
>>
>>16690
>sounds like he can barely remember his own name while giving his credentials
wew lad. I know I'm never going to be taking big headshots from professionals but this shit reminds me as a novice that I need to move my head more
>>
>>11964
Lately I've been going to a boxing gym every day, I started in about december since that's when gyms reopened in my state. I work out for about 1.5-2 hours, working with my coach and then doing a few rounds on the heavy bag, speed bag, and sometimes the double end bag and finishing off with calisthenics and jumping rope. I've been progressing at a pretty good rate, but with one or two things I need to work on. First is that I let opportunities to hit slip by too often, where I'll have a moment that I could lean in and give a left hook to the body, but won't because I either don't recognize it quickly enough or because I don't think I'm in a good situation to throw the punch. The other issue I have is caused by regulations, where my state and therefore my gym don't allow sparring at the moment. Because I can't spar, it feels like I'm not getting any good chances to work on my skills. I've been working with some of my friends outside the gym so that we can spar together, but I just wish I could get more work in. Any recommendations for either of these? I think they're related issues, but what do you think I can do as a substitute for sparring? Should I just shadowbox and light spar with my friends until gyms allow sparring again?
>>
>>16762
Does he? I don't know he sounds good to me. He sounds a bit like the Street Fighter boxer
>>
File: Valdez-Berchelt.webm (2.37 MB, 1280x720)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB WEBM
>>16692
This isn't extreme to you?
>>
>>17207
>Reply
No.
>>
Can someone answer this? >>16637
>>
>>16692
Bare-knuckle boxing would be a good thread to have on /xs/ now that you mention it. It'd fit in better with the motif of the board as well.
>>
File: pushup bars.jpg (89 KB, 1500x1148)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>18152
Why not try boxing anyway? Go to a gym and see how you do. Only you can decide what works for you.
You don't have to be the best at boxing. As long as it's fun for you, you're not wasting time or anything.
Also, tried these things for pushups? They're supposedly better for your wrists
>>
>>18255
I suppose so. I just wanted to know how important shape and structure of hands and forearms were in boxing. I used to go to gym with my friend, I couldn't even do half of the reps my friend did when it came to bench press lying down. But I easily beat him in leg game. My arms feel really weak.
>>
The moment I reach 90kg in my weightloss is the moment I go to the first boxing gym I find.
I'd even get the covid vaccine if I have to. Life's too dull without fighting, and boxing is peak fighting.
Only downside is having to attend classes with children as an adult, because I imagine adult classes are rare.
>>
could shoulder roll/philly shell be used in any scenario that isn't a boxing bout?
>>
>>20228
For short periods of time probably but it'd be difficult especially with no gloves
>>
>>20228
I have seen Dustin Poirier doing it for brief moments.
>>
>>20228
Dustin Poirier and Bobby Green have used it in MMA successfully.

webm unrelated
>>
Should I practice boxing if i'm a manlet?
>>
>>20626
boxing is peak manlet sport after motorsport and lifting
>>
I wanna get punched in the face and punch people in their faces but I was told Im highly susceptible to detached retinas cause my vision is mega bad. -13 prescription.
How can I live my dream of getting shit on by people faster and stronger than me?
>>
>>21219
A kick centric martial art maybe?
>>
>>21225
Yes, because a kick to the head is so much better.
>>
>>18925
Just work out your arms and wrist? If you think you might hurt yourself throwing a punch you probably won't be punching your hardest.
>>
>>14426
based
ironically im pretty sure using boxing's techniques in tandem with kickboxing is moreso "american" kickboxing. Though labels just tend to hold you back so i usually just use it in tandem with muay thai because thats just not the retarded thing to do
>>
>>16786
Yeah ultimately shadowboxing is the preferred action. If you know your friends arent any risk and use masks or just dont venture out much and blah blah, then i dont see why not go with moderate sparring. Though ofc its best y'all use masks just for safety and whatnot. So if you're okay with that then go ahead. But for now i'd say just get your muscle memory working, weight shifting, weaving etc. Even if its just shadowboxing you can still work with some setups or again, muscle memory. Work those combos flawlessy along with footwork for the time being is ultimately the best option whether you wanna spar or not
>>
>>20626
yes.
t.5'4"
[spoiler]if its for self defense second best would be jiu-jitsu but thats only if you're nimble and can climb people's backs like a gremlin. [/spoiler]
>>
>>22406
I'm not really worried about coof, moreso that my friends are as stupid as I am and might not be worthwhile sparring partners. I don't know if a shitty partner is better than shadowboxing in the long run,
>>
>>16601
If a pro with a shit record asks you to spar kindly decline his offer. He will fucking body you just to get his confidence up.
>>
what glove size is better for bag work: 12oz, 14oz or 16oz?
>>
>>22998
16oz, it's what you use in the gym or in a match, so it's what you should get used to using.
>>
File: The_Boxer.png (359 KB, 619x897)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>14426
I started reading this manhwa from Webtoon, it's pretty cool: https://www.webtoons.com/en/sports/the-boxer/list?title_no=2027
>>
>reading gookshit
disgusting.
>>
>>21219
At -13 you won't be able to see your opponent never mind judge distance. BJJ for you if to want a combat sport.
>>
>>13470
Krav maga is such an ugly sport. There should be more focus on being able to defend oneself in style, meaning not resorting to extreme violence, like you do in judo, wrestling and even boxing. You'll notice that a person who has practiced krav maga is prone to showing off their 'skill' at any time where in reality de-escalate the situation would be better. This might be because the boxer is more humble and knows what he's capable of, and as someone who's done amateur boxing and has undergone extensive training to even be mediocre (which I am) I can safely say that even a mediocre boxer is still a deadly threat to most normal people walking around day to day. With that in mind you'll often see that serious boxers of any caliber will go out of their way to avoid a fight in real life, both to save their hapless would-be victim, and to save themselves from an almost guaranteed murder charge.
>>
RIP Hagler
>>
>>25168
MMA fags have the same mentality as Kravmagoos.
The less you LARP the more you humble
>>
>117-111
>Estrada winning 2nd and 3rd

Even if Chocolatito is getting noticeably older, this bullshit should not stand.
>>
>>11964
how to deal with pressure fighters?
>>
>>27012
WHy is this always asked, so much information out there already.
Use the jab and lead hook mixed with footwork to stay on the outside and circle out, learn to smother their work when they inevitably get on the inside (change levels use hand and head control)
>>
I have been wanting to get into boxing but I have never been in a fight in my life. Are there any youtubers or content creators that can detail how to throw a proper punch AND they know what they are talking about? Like when I throw a jab, it feels weak and airy. When I throw a right cross(?), it feels heavy and off balance at the same time as not feeling very powerful. Maybe its because I am just striking the air though. How did you learn how to throw a punch?
>>
Don't box, but I used to do Sanda.
How do you prevent getting uppercutted? I usually stand with my arms far from face, and it's okay for kickboxing, but a former boxer guy just effortlessly popped my head up during training we had.
>>
>>28434
>arms far from face
Try pushing into his shoulder or head, and move after your counters
>>
>>27012
You need better cardio

>>28413
>Why is this always asked?
People have shitty cardio and are looking for a trick.
The trick is 5k every day.
>>
>>16637
No. I've lady frame too and I'm quIte a heavy puncher myself. The tr1ck 1s to workout the forearms or your gr1pp1ng muscles. Do front planks but 1n a f1st post1on. Then try to only use one arm for support. 1tll be hard at f1rst, but try to keep 1t aroud a few seconds each arm and then slowly get 1t up. Eventually youll have rock hard f1sts. Thats about 1t. Gr1p t1ght before punch1ng.
>>
>>28434
Smack h1s uppers down.
>>28429
No. Go to a reputable gym.
>>22998
Depends how heavy the bag 1s and what you want to pract1ce
>>18925
L1terally doesnt matter. Lanky guys throw snapp1er punches, tank1er guys throw slower puncher that h1t l1ke a truck, usually.
>>
Is paying for a private trainer worth it?
I've read some horror stories of trainers discouraging clients from joining a gym or sparring because they don't want to lose clients
>>
Hey fellas I've been training for a year, I have a strong punch however I'm still slow and sometimes I'm unable to dodge the punches.
I want to improve this any tips?
>>
>>29112
Have you been getting under the slip bag or getting in the ring and practicing? You can even do defense only drills with a friend, where they just throw punches at you and you try to block or slip. If you want to duck and weave faster, keep practicing the motions. Bodyweight squats can help a bit, especially if you try to do them quickly.
>>
>>14407
Football is the strongest martial art
>>
>>15467
I always admired the way Tyson Fury scored touches.
>>
>>23681
Its way too overexaggerated. Don't go there if you're looking for actual boxing. read Rikudou or Hajime no Ippo.
>>
>>28563
>trick is wing chun
ftfy
>>
>>13470
I've thought about taking up boxing but gyms in my area sound about like that one. There's one legit boxing gym but it's for kids and it's basically all black in the hood, the rest of the options are literal strip mall mcdojos.
>>
>>30450
I'd just go to the one in the hood then. Just make sure that they have actual competitors. That's how I chose my last two boxing gyms.
>>
>>11964
That rat Stipe is getting his face caved in. Looking forward to the salt from racists.
>>
>>31432
racist here, not even mad.
Francis looked real good, like a different fighter altogether. Patient, more crisp and versatile, better tdd.
If he stays like this he's gonna be champ a long time. Mad respect.
>>
>>31449
Patient Francis is the scariest guy I've ever seen
>>
Anybody know what this shit on the heavy bag is called? Mine ripped and I need to know if I can replace it or if I just need to buy a new bag altogether.
>>
>>32613
where it ripped and how much does your bag weight?
you usually can just sew it back together but you gotta buy a stronger thread I think it's a nylon one.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (45 KB, 1080x1260)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
How are everlast punching bags?
Currently I have a cheap bootleg punching bag and it clearly is of bad quality, but it's been holding 100lbs/45kg no problem. I want a heavier one (at least 170lbs/75) and I know mine won't support that much.
I live in a shithole and the only name brand I can find is everlast but the description always says the max weight is 45kg.
Can I try and push it or 100lbs is truly the heaviest I can find?
>>
>>33052
you could try pushing it but depending on how much you overstuff your bag you could break the straps that connect your bag to the chain. A cheap and durable option is to build a heavy bag out of tires. I've done it before and it works well.
>>
/box/ on /sp/ is trash. it used to be one of the best generals a few years ago.
>>
>>33588
Not the anon you were responding to but do tire heavy bags fuck up your gloves?
>>
>>34152
they haven't so far and I'm using fairly cheap gloves I got from Ringside Boxing. But if they do start getting fucked up, you could just cover the tire bag with a tarp or something.
>>
>>14407
>american martial arts
>boxing and wrestling
Dear lord anon
>>
File: t3 lx hg.jpg (31 KB, 474x474)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
What headgear do you guys use for sparring? I just ordered pic related to match my gloves.
>>
>>22401
Most of the best muay thai boxers have done boxing as well

https://youtu.be/ZN_RwV91Ig4

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.