[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 130 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

get in here
>>
>>111
>>
>>104
I can sense the unstable energy of 1000 picrels of bikes leaning on things...
>>
BROS!
>>
BASED!
What bikes do you fags have?
Nukeproof Scout mogs all tbqh
>>
>>104
Such a weird concept to talk about biking on a chinese little boy enthusiast forum.

I'll I wanna say is if you want complete nirvana for a sustained half hour. Go to Whistler and go all the way up on the second lift and do:

>Freight Train to Dirt Merchant to A-Line

You just can't beat it.
>>
>>2005
>>1835
>>
File: godziek_innnsbruck.jpg (46 KB, 480x360)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
For me, it's Dawid Godziek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1iqvcQfsfI
>>
File: 1607846261453.jpg (776 KB, 1200x569)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
Just making sure,
winter fat biking isn't considered mtb or an extreme sport for that mater, yes or no?
>>
>>104
mountain biking is on >>>/n/. Please delete this thread and leave quietly.
>>
>>2362
slopestyle & other forms of competitive MTB belong here. Hobbyists/personal use go on /n/
>>
>>2405
>split the community
smart thinking there. why not keep it all on >>>/n/ together with the 100 other cycling threads and sports?
>>
>>2232
Epic run
>>
>>2232
For me it's Greg Minaar.
>>
>>1835
just a diamondback hook
kinda want to get a nicer bike but this bike has gotten me thru at least 3 seasons now
>>
>>1835
Commencal Meta AM 29. Hoping that the Canadian border opens up this summer but if it doesn't I'll try take it to Oakridge and some stuff out by Coeur d'Alene.
>>2362
MTB threads were pretty common on /out/ and occasionally /asp/. Biking as a basic form of transportation vs. for thrills belong on different boards imo.
>>
don't mind me just posting super-obvious videos
https://youtu.be/EqYgAX6D43Q
https://youtu.be/y8ryQOiX05k
https://youtu.be/1p0ck5We5sU
https://youtu.be/Dpnh6yLj_OA
>>
>>104
Just bought my first mtb ever, rockhopper elite. Should be delivered in a couple weeks. Can't wait to finally start enjoying the mountains in summer as well, niggers.
>>
>>4211
holy shit that chainless run
>>
File: emil.png (996 KB, 860x1075)
996 KB
996 KB PNG
Emil Johannson wins Joyride 2019
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/videos/joyride-2019-winning-run
>>
>>1835
Banshee Titan.
Fully coil sprung and aluminium. Its a 40lb tank of a bike but I love it.
>>
I drove back home in my underwear because I was covered in mud. I run the same trails all the time at Joaquin Miller Park and it's always fun
>>
>>4211
I love the announcers
>>
havent riden in two weeks, fuck february man
>>
>>2047
nice, i really like the older style straight angles on bikes. the new ones all have funky curves. i know the geometry is better or w/e but i dont really care for the newer look
>>
>>4211
mann the mountain of hell looks so damn fun, good shit
>>
>>1835
I have a 2010 Nishiki Colorado. Its pretty good for what I use it for.
>>
>>5843
Check out the strive, the frame is basically a triangle and looks really nice. Plus the shapeshifter is quite cool, pretty handy.
>>
>>4211
>https://youtu.be/1p0ck5We5sU [Remove]
Amazing. That place looks beautiful and clean.
>>
>>1835
>Nukeproof Scout
based
2021 Specialized Rockhopper 29 with Rockshox Recon overforked to 120mm
>>4585
Nice to see a fellow RH owner. Do yourself a favor and get a good pair of flat pedals. [spoiler]did you go tubless? You better have![/spoiler]
>>
>>104
Used to downhill mountain bike when I was younger but quit after I broke my collar bone doing it, it was a fun hobby but I can't he fucked getting mangled all the time. An old friend who was super into it has so many broken bones and is so full of metal it's ridiculous. Pretty sure he's broken the same wrist at least 2 or 3 times
>>
File: MVDP.jpg (1.33 MB, 2048x1280)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Downhill is not real mountainbiking. For me, its cross-country.
>>
>>1835
Hardtail bro! I have a Salsa Timberjack
>>
>>6470

???????????
>>
Is trials riding allowed here?
>>
Patrician taste
>>
>>7008
same bike dude, i'm gonna ride that thing down the entire continental divide this summer
>>
File: gdmbt.png (2.19 MB, 996x1984)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
>>8303
wrong map
>>
>>1374
This
>>
>>8303
Jelly, are you soloing or riding in a group?

How are you preparing for the trip?
>>
>>10553
Planning on soloing but I'm trying to talk my dad & one of my brothers into joining me for at least a couple stretches. They could both use an adventure.

Just planning to prep by riding the shit out of my local trails and spending at least a night testing my setup with full gear. It's giving me a good reason to learn bike maintenance too, and I think I'm gonna convert the Timberjack into tubeless for it. I'm so fuckin stoked.
>>
>>1835
Norco Range C1 (2020). She chews up whatever I throw at her, except tight up hill switch backs. She is just to fucking fat for that.
>>
>>4211
I remember watching the Mountain of Hell video and wanting to train for it but I'm a complete noob when it comes to biking. I am in impeccable shape so don't think the transition would be that bad but how long would it take someone to be ready for that course?
>>
File: pepe mtb.jpg (1.02 MB, 1920x1280)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>1835
It's an RSD Wildcat for me
Also have an intense m9 for downhill, and a RSD Triumph for dicking around on
>>
>>10972
Good pic
>>
>>4669
https://youtu.be/4F9abk0IxQQ
>>
>>1835
An upgraded overforked Sync'r.

>>3666
Throw a dropper and good rubber on it and ride it until you're hitting stuff the bike can't handle. Wouldn't sweat having a mid-entry bike.
>>
File: PXL_20210224_090403918~2.jpg (3.12 MB, 4032x3024)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
>>11143
Forgot pic.
>>
File: fuckyou.png (147 KB, 500x481)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>north shore
>off beaten trail
>feature giving me some troubles
>reach in my backpack, pull out my trusty hand sledge
>bash a few dozen boards in

Any /destruction/ riders here?
>>
>>1835

Canyon Spectral 29 CF 8. Burgtec bits all over. Wild Enduros. Hell of a rig.
>>
File: PXL_20210203_151147910.jpg (2.68 MB, 2000x1500)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>>1835
>>
Do we have enough SF Bay /xs/tremists for a mtb meet?
>>
File: IMG_20210104_162526.jpg (178 KB, 650x866)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Holy shit an MTB thread, lets get this shit started
>HE BOUGHT A CANYON
>>
File: IMG_20200718_200943.jpg (243 KB, 1155x866)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>11655
Oh that's what a 2018 growler?
I have the 2019 version, ran that shit into the ground and bent the fuck out of the rim, I scratched the fuck out of the side walls, the routing on the dropper post is probably all fucked up.

Still about to sell it for $100 less than I got it at retail.

Thank fuck for thirsty fucks out there buying anything with two wheels.
>>
File: 20210216_173845.jpg (3.57 MB, 4032x2268)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
For me
It Holy Cross
The best brand
>>
>>12273
Hello Canyon bro
>>
>>12280
2019 fusion 40 actually. Its more of a XC bike than the growler. I also bent the fuck out of the rear rim and had it replaced lol.
>>
File: IMG_20200620_111256.jpg (1.73 MB, 1866x2560)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
Mine with swords
>>
>>4211
thank you
>>
>>5633
based spectral owners unite!
>>
>>6470
lol what a fag
>>
>>5633
this is not dirty
>>
>>13453
Georgia?
>>
File: yousickenme.jpg (15 KB, 300x323)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>6470
those skinny ass forks
>>
>>2232
One of four riders in the FMB world tour who I think is actually progressing the sport.

Always a good time to watch.
>>
File: 1612516513411.png (424 KB, 766x695)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
>see cute brown hair blue eyed girl on the trails today
>looked and sounded pretty young
>tfw she was with some fat kid on a sweet pivot
They were both shredders too
>>
>>15418
Yes
>>
Just put in a new drivetrain on this fast cunt. Forgot why I don't do this myself.
>>
>>15682

tfw no shredder gf :/
>>
>>16926

I know that feel
>>
>>4211
Retarded degenerate mtb video crew get in here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZj9tfCbUE
>>
>>16967
Man, these guys look fucking stupid.

Who rides berms with one foot of the pedals?
>>
>>17011
>Who rides berms with one foot of the pedals?
People who dont know how to ride berms.
>>
File: n1xoZuw.png (894 KB, 1027x583)
894 KB
894 KB PNG
>>17018
The perfect way to ride a berm. Just skip the first 90% of the berm and put your foot down in the very end.
>>
>>17018
>>17059
And don't forget it's also very important that you sit down for maximum aero.
>>
kek I didnt even notice they were sitting. Feeling the g's push the seat up your ass.
>>
>>15682
There were some cute girls on the trails yesterday but the problem is that they really were teenage girls.

I'm 28
>>
>>17078
Walnut Creek, CA? I just thought she was a petite college aged girl until I heard her talk and realized she had to be a highschool freshman.
>>
>>17011
>>17018
>>17060
I feel personally attacked. I don't have many spots to practice riding berms at my favorite park where I can screw it up and not fall down a steep and jagged hillside. I brake through them like a tard
>>
>>17082
The only attacking that should be happening is from you at the berm. Just practice bro. Watch some proper edits or tutorials on YouTube. Then go practice.
>>
>>17081
Close, this was Joaquin Miller Park. There was a middle school or high school training group there trying to ride up a rock garden and a few of them were girls. Considering how much faster girls mature than boys, I'd say they couldn't be older than 15.
There was this other time there was this woman there on a Juliana and she was the perfect mix of in shape and thicc but her being there with what looked like her mom was one of the many reasons I didn't talk to her. I'm friendlier in the middle of the trail, not at the very start and they looked like they were in a rush to get to riding and so was I.

>>17086
ehh, I can do some berms fine but there are these switchbacks that specifically kick my ass and I have to brake and put my foot down otherwise I'll fall down the steep canyon
>>
>>17011
>He will never know the joy of just speedwaying the fuck out of everything

Have fun with your "Traction" gravitycuck.
Good to see that this board has proved straight away that mountain bikers are just as boring these days wherever you find them, honestly with Ebikes and trailforks and all that shit we're going to be the new road cycling soon.
>>
>>17082
Breaking through a berm is absolutely fine if you don't feel comfortable taking it at full speed. Take it step by step and you'll get there eventually.

Just make sure to watch a proper guide and don't do anything the retards in that video are doing. Matt Jones has a decent guide on Youtube if I remember correctly.
>>
>>17094
>Breaking through a berm is absolutely fine

Literally don't listen to this fucking retard ever, jesus christ.
Where you can, do all your braking before berms and then coast through, yeah you'll find yourself dragging the brakes at times where you're going a bit fast, but aim not to actively brake whilst you're actually in the berm.

The reason those guys are fucking fast is that they're good riders who are dicking about. This board is going to be fucking hilarious for shitty technique advice.
>>
File: 1537135365083.jpg (80 KB, 720x717)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>17090
Both of these replies were to the same person btw. Hows JMP these days? I want to go but I got tired of having to stop for hikers. I heard I can go in the morning but how early do I have to go exactly?

>mfw last time i rode there some middle aged white guy wanted to do laps on cindy and chappy with me but kept trying to convince me to use the bus as a shuttle to the top
>>
>>17100
Sunday mornings are better for avoiding hikers but it's a mixed bag. Sometimes they'll be in the worst part and they won't move, most times they'll be good about it and get out of the way
>>
File: 1535352728400.jpg (337 KB, 1288x1356)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>17101
How early we talking?
>>
>>17104
We used to ride at 10 on saturdays but we rode on sunday this weekend since we rode Hayward Plunge on saturday(long climb, long descent, worth it)
We got there at 9. The hikers on sunday seem to be better than the hikers on saturday. It's like all the judgemental boomers and casuals are there on saturday and sunday has the hobbyists who are more aware and know to share the trails
We're going thursday around 4. Would you happen to be the guy in /dbt/ who told me to go in the afternoons on weekdays?
>>
>>17120
>Would you happen to be the guy in /dbt/ who told me to go in the afternoons on weekdays?
That sounds like something I'd post about JMP pre-covid.
>>
File: 1535336015021.gif (943 KB, 1280x720)
943 KB
943 KB GIF
>>17186
Fuck I forgot to post an Olivia with my reply.
>>
>>16926
Why plow bitches when you can plow through a rock garden
>>
>>6470
ok dirt roadie
>>
>>17304
Exactly. I'm at the most successful I've ever been but I don't want to waste time on women and relationships because they'll get in the way of mountain biking
>>
>>17729
What does all that even have to do with mountain lmoa
>>
File: nomorewomen.jpg (53 KB, 560x564)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>17734
Weekend mornings are for mtb, the afternoon and night is for recovery so I can get ready for the next day. No time for thots, I belong to the mountain
>>
>>17737
How though? I get like 10 mile rides in after work on the weekdays I dont lift. Helps that I work from home. I hit up the mountains for 20-25 mile enduro rides on the weekends. Oh I'm married btw. Oh yeah I happen to own a house and have a bad habit of building fast cars.
>>
have the same bike as picrel except handlebars are original. my dad bought it in the 90s. love this thing,
>>
File: notimeforwhores.jpg (29 KB, 512x482)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>17764
no time for women in between mtb, gravel cycling, road cycling, motorcycling, video games, and spending time with the boys
>>
>>16967
Fuck, those park rats are cringe. All they know how to ride is A line at whistler, and that is poorly.
>>
>>17098
What >>17094 said is perfectly reasonable. You yourself even agree that it is okay to brake through berms.

> The reason those guys are fucking fast is that they're good riders who are dicking about.
They really are not. You can see that their bike control is pretty meh. Put them on a trail with any kind of tech and they will struggle.
>>
>>18295
Never aim to brake through berms though, you're going to learn better bike control by coasting though berms slowly than you are by skidding when you shit yourself because you're going too fast.

>Bike control is meh
Riding bikes on mid school geo with jacked up forks and 24" on the back and still riding like that.
I've seen those guys ride in person, they are decent riders, trust me.

>>18294
God, other people having fun is awful isn't it?
>>
I'll be riding berms tomorrow. I'll take them faster this time.
>>
>>18375
Do it m8, get your braking done beforehand where you can, hit them square on and pump. Speedyspeedytime.
>>
>>18384
That's what I always do but then I chicken out and still ride the brakes a bit. I feel like I'm going to come out at a bad angle. I'll just send it tomorrow on a "safe" corner and try my best to keep it under control
>>
>>18412
That's fair man, it all takes time. One way to practice is to find a deep berm, go into it at a speed you absoutely know you don't need to touch the brakes, and then try and pump to come out faster, once you figure that out try and get railing a berm to feel like that every time.
>>
>>18299
> Riding bikes on mid school geo with jacked up forks and 24" on the back and still riding like that.
You mean squaring off berms and hitting a groomed jump line? That is too amazing. The only time they go close to tech the guy is struggling to keep up with the bike.

> I've seen those guys ride in person, they are decent riders, trust me.
At 58 seconds one of them nearly throws himself over the handle bars. At 1:30 the bike is getting away from the rider and he isn't fully in control of it. At 2:06 the second rider is jumping with his knees together as if he is gripping the frame with them to pull the rear wheel up. At 3:14 a lot of them are landing heavy on either the front or the rear wheel.

> God, other people having fun is awful isn't it?
They made an edit that a 15 year old would make. If they want their clothing line to be taken serious, don't make cringy content.

>>18384
>>18375
> hit them square on
Don't square off berms. You lose so much of your moment.
>>
>>18624
You gave him a longer reply than he deserved. Nigga is probably the nigga in the video. the
>>
>>18624
>Making that
>Thinking they want to be taken seriously instead of just doing things for the craic

Fuck me man, riding bikes is a kids hobby, you should all fucking know that, that's the reason it's fun, it's just dicking about in the woods with absoultely zero purpose other than fun (And maybe fitness if you're weird about it) .
Go shave your legs, butter your arse and larp as your favourite race team if you want to take yourself so seriously.
>>
File: p4pb12503260.jpg (120 KB, 800x514)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Southern California basically watching all of 2020 wreck the absolute shit out of every trail with the combination of everyone and their mother deciding to go out and hike combined with the 0 rain we got.

Fuck man, all the nicest trails are just powdered dust now, dry and pounded to shit so traction doesn't exist... just dust so deep that if you pass within 50ft of the next guy you can't even see what the fuck is infront of you from it flying in the air.

I just want some fucking rain.
>>
>>18917
I think trails everywhere are nuked man (Bonglander here), my local was busier than I've ever seen it in my life during lockdowns, and everydick and his dog buying Ebikes and then riding over the winter has just turned everything into 6 inch deep ruts.

If there are any hacker frens on here pls destroy Trailforks and strava to stop all the squids and kooks wrecking nice trails immediately.
>>
>>19012
my favorite is the skidders who go around turns like it's tokyo drift and just absolutely over turn any kind of shape it might've held at one point
>>
File: 1603882304107.jpg (25 KB, 700x368)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Any sf bay area peeps wanna ride this weekend? Gonna have to take it easy cause Friday night I'm doing squats and deadlifts. Either something local in 925/510 or heading to demo. If I do demo I'd like to try and hit braille, flow, and sawpit so its gonna be a long day. I'm not white fyi since that's a consideration to people on 4chan.
>>
>>15624
Who are the others? Besides Emil of course
>>
>>19294
I do JMP in oakland every saturday unless it rains
Im actually going there right now
>>
>>19367
I'm going there soon too. I hope you're not the dude I normally ride with.
I ride the black Canyon Spectral
>>
>>19403
>>19367
Where do you guys park? I heard of hella break ins lately.
>>
>>19410
We park at the parking lot next to the ranger station. I've heard of a lot of break ins too. One of the guys we ride with said that he parks down near the fire station and rides Sinawik Trail up since there are less break ins there.

>>19294
I usually ride JMP in Oakland on weekends, usually saturday from 9am-1pm. I want to move to sundays since it seems like the hikers are a lot better than the usual bored casuals who have no spatial awareness or etiquette. We might go again this saturday just because it's going to rain all next week
>>
>>19414
Is it even possible to get at least one hiker free run down cindy or chappy? I usually do 5-6 laps alternating those trails. Are the water fountains still working? I might try to get there like 6am-7am.
>>
>>19420
>Is it even possible to get at least one hiker free run down cindy or chappy?
Yea if you go early enough
>5-6 laps
shieeet i can barely do 3-4 between cindy and big tress
Also one water fountain works on big trees by the benches
>>
>>19458
>shieeet i can barely do 3-4 between cindy and big tress
I bet you could squeeze out two more laps if you're already doing that many.
>Also one water fountain works on big trees by the benches
Okay I remember that one. I used to refill either there or right before chappy.
>>
Night riding at JMP is spooky shit.
>>
>>18917

well that's climate change for you
>>
File: LUNAAATIC.jpg (78 KB, 770x800)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Any toronto fags here? what type of build do you recommend for a beginner doing crotherswoods
>>
>tfw comfy 7am trail riding before the endurobros crowd up the place
>>
>>6333
Well, still haven't received the bike, the faggot said it will arrive March 20th. Thought he was fucking with me and went to another shop to ask if they had it, and the dude showed me the pc where it said it would be stocked "end of March". Fuck this bike drought that's been going on. But yeah I'm pretty sure I will go tubeless. Any pedals you recommend?
>>
>>20316
I know that feel. I was supposed to have my new gravel bike this week but the ship date got pushed back a "couple of weeks"
I use Crank Brothers Stamp pedals on my Canyon Spectral. I've never slipped off when I've actually had my weight on them.
>>
>change rotor and brake pads
>midway through
>where the fuck are my tools

Just moved, pretty sure I should bleed this but have no idea where I packed it. Guess I'll just ride with my brakes only suggesting I stop at best when I slam them to the bar.
>>
>>20087
Sauga fag here, no trails for miles plz send help
>>
>>20410
5mm allens can walk, I'm sure of it. Torx also bastards for running away.

>>20437
What happened to you guys? I get the impression riding was a huge thing in the 00s there. Also do you have a link to somewhere to watch that finnish dh doc
>>
File: sad2.jpg (14 KB, 360x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
> mfw can't ride next saturday because I have a funeral to attend

Send it for me and my uncle
>>
File: 20181014_142642_HDR.jpg (1.92 MB, 1920x1440)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>20087
>crotherswoods
Never been there myself, but there is not a single trail in ontario that isn't rideable on a 100mm hardtail, so look for hardtails with 100-120mm of travel. Maybe consider a short travel full sus if you're a boomer with bad knees. Also, a dropper post will make riding infinitely better, so make sure you price in getting one if the bikes you're looking at don't come with one from the factory.
>>20437
You need to drive at least half an hour to get anywhere worthwhile, sorry fren.
>>
>>21006
That is a very tasty bikecycle friend
>>
File: Screenshot_132.png (2.43 MB, 1253x789)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
>>1835
>>
>>4211
>DANNY STAY ON YOUR BIKE
lmao
>>
>>6470
Not riding downhill on a fully rigid XC bike like the OG mountain bikers.
>>
I bought a trek Fuel 90 w/full suspension on ebay. My body Is ready. It gets here on the 16th. It's my first adult mountain bike.
>>
I have a rockshox reba fork gathering dust in my garage, from like 2012. I think it has 120mm travel and would only fit 26" wheels. Was going to build up a full sus XC/Trail bike with it. But that never happened. I suppose I should sell it, or I could find a cheap hardtail with dogshit forks and 26" wheels but otherwise ok and switch it to that.
>>
File: manlet.jpg (56 KB, 620x465)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Is Seth the synthesis of manlet rage?
>>
>>25203
hes cute
>>
>>24908
Have fun man. Full suspension bikes are a lot of maintenance but it's easy.
>>
File: 20201104_113221.jpg (3.33 MB, 4032x3024)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>1835
Commencal Meta AM V4.2

Unfortunately, this is the only Pic I have. Wish it was brushed aluminum, not orange. But it looks nicer in person.
>>
>>25241
> Full suspension bikes are a lot of maintenance

The are really not. Once-twice are year you pull the suspension off and service it. Other than that, it is the same maintenance as any other bike.
>>
>>25337
That's a lot of maintenance.
>>
>>25337
>>25241
>>25342
Do you guys have any good suggestions for YouTube videos regarding servicing those parts? I work on cars so I should be able to handle it.
>>
>>25372
I'm not sure how different they are between manufacturers but I used this video to service my rear shock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zxH-gVJ8cI
and this one to service my fork
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGKEprUi1c
The vise isn't necessary if you have a strong dad to help put the air can back together but if you're working alone, then definitely get it to make it easier.

>>25337
I clean my seals with fork boost lube after every ride and I frequently try to clean the gunk out of my drivetrain. It's not necessary but it does prolong longevity. California trails are either really dusty or really muddy, there isn't much hero dirt.
>>
>>25378
I also forgot to say. You can clean the foam rings on a fork but it's sort of annoying to do. You can buy them really cheap so I would just recommend replacing them.
>>
File: bike-smol.jpg (1.98 MB, 4624x3472)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>1835
bought this one 2 weeks ago. it's a 2016 canyon spectral. i think it was the top end alloy model. first full suspension bike, really happy with it.
>>
>>25378
Cool thank you. I'll check that out when I get a chance. Much appreciated. Will post pic of bike when it arrives. Someone who's well versed in MTB should make a beginners guide for this general.
>>
>>25342
> That's a lot of maintenance.
God fucking forbid that you have to do any maintenance on your bike. Are you so fucking lazy that you do not wash your bike?

>>25372
Rockshoxs, I imagine fox too, have super detail guides on their website for how to pull the specific fork or shock apart and service it.

>>25378
Worth it? I spray my fork and shock with water and wipe down with a towel making sure I wipe off any grit around the seal.
>>
>>25719
It definitely pulls out a lot of dirt but the foam rings in my fork were still dirty as hell, could have been way worse without the lube. The air can was clean as hell. I think the biggest benefit is for the dropper post.
>>
>>25759
>I think the biggest benefit is for the dropper post.
True. The dropper that came with my bike end up seized because it is in a perfect position for my rear tyre to through dirt at it.
>>
>>25719
It's more maintenance than would be required on a rigid bike or hardtail and also more specialised maintenance. Maybe it's worth if for the extra abilities you get from more suspension, but there's definitely a trade off, especially if you're having to take the shock apart and understand the adjustments, changing seals etc.
>>
File: PXL_20210313_214752129~3.jpg (881 KB, 2188x1012)
881 KB
881 KB JPG
So I mulleted my 26er.

>>17771
Preload the heck out of everything and turn it into a gravel grinder.
>>
>>25850
>It's more maintenance than would be required on a rigid bike or hardtail and also more specialised maintenance.

Not really. It takes like 5 minutes to uninstall/install a fork or shock. 30 minutes to pull it apart, clean, swap the wipers/foam/seals, refill oil, and reassemble. Probably a similar amount of time to bleed the damper. Suspension really isnt that difficult or time consuming to work on (unless you are pulling apart the damper, which you would never do anyway). Especially consider you do it 1-2 times a year depending on how much you ride.

Why are you so ignorant of full suspension bikes?
>>
New to mountain biking. Should I get the Marlin 5 and upgrade it later or should I just save up to get a 1k bike?
>>
>>26834
What kind of riding do you want to do?
>>
>>26836
My friends and I have been riding single track, I wouldnt say it was too extreme. And I would like to try to hit some jumps.
>>
File: file.png (556 KB, 1060x596)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
>>26838
maybe consider something a bit more slack and modern like pic related? too bad it's always out of stock.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/stoic/stoic-3/2659.html
>>
File: sparky.jpg (1.31 MB, 1920x1440)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>1835
Scott Spark 950, pic related is from the day I bought it last year. Just got back from a ride.
>>
My Santa Cruz Bullit is showing up on friday STOKED
>>
>>26995
>Santa Cruz
>mullet
>ebike
behold, the ultimate meme machine
>>
>>17011
>>17018
>>17059
>>17060
When you've ridden the same trail hundreds of times you have to get a little creative every once in a while. So trying to do an entire lap foot out flat out in the seat is a pretty good way to do that and have a good bit of fun, it's pretty common in bike parks if you ever go to one. Can't tell if this is bait but I bit, so I guess it worked...
>>
>>17082
go find a pump track, after that go find some course with alot of berms
>>
>>25203
nah, he is just a short dude. bonus for making everything he rides look bigger
>>
>>25719
yeah, the bike shop near me charges a flat rate of $150 to do a full service of a shock or a fork. at that price i just buy all of the tools and parts and oils i need and only pay around $130, then the next time is only around $35 for the actual service kits
>>
>>27172
This is the way to go, unless you're a mechanical retard who is confused by a wrench.
>>
>>6268
>https://youtu.be/1p0ck5We5sU
indeed
>>
>getting back into riding after 4 years off from huge injury
>been fishing for a Gravelbike restock waiting to grab one since I think they'll be my best bet since I mostly ride in town
>just fucking love the aesthetics of Hardtails
it's so fucking hard for me to fucking actually pick up a gravelbike, even when any of the shops in town get one that I want I know it's just going to kill me to not have a hardtail, I just like them so much lmao
>>
>>27157
If you watch any of their other videos you can see that is how they always ride. Also, you can cleaning see that they generally don't have good bike control.
>>
File: triumph.jpg (572 KB, 1500x1000)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
>>21141
Thanks m80
>>26013
Dangerously based. Mullet is the way of the future
>>29235
Just get a hardtail then, fren. Then you can use it as an mtb for trail riding, and switch to drop bars and semi slick tires for gravel. Also, make sure it's a steel frame
>>
MTB tomorrow.Where are my SF Bay Area wagies?
>>
>>29279
Diggin it, I really want to get one of the new ragley blue pigs and run it singlespeed
>>
File: 20201220_224504.jpg (2.73 MB, 3225x1814)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>10708
Uuuuuuuu another Norco range bro. But I'm the pokr fag with the 2020 A2 kek. Switchbacks are impossible for me. Also a question what spring rate do you use? And at what sag is the rear shock when you use it?
>>
>>30722
Nah bro. Your frame and shock is still a solid platform to build a great bike from. Is that uphill switch backs? They are next to impossible. You really need to committee to it and not worry about falling over.

I am about 90-100 kg riding an XL and I am pretty sure it is a 650 spring. I aimed for closer to 30% sag. It is important to note I am running a DSD runt in my lyrics which allows me to run a higher sag on my forks and I match my shock sag to it.
>>
>>19289
>>19012
>>18917
Sounds like you need to get better. One race weekend does the same thing. Trails change, and get more difficult (which is a good thing) - get over it.
>>
>>29235
pro tip
, just get an old rigid mountainbike, they are the same as the gravel bikes now.
>>
I just went mountain biking with my friends for the first time. I used my old Roadmaster that I got from Walmart years ago (pic rel) and absolutely destroyed it going over drops. Ended up riding back to the lot with loose pedals and the back wheel crooked and scraping the frame. It was fucking awesome.
>>
>>30304
Where you ride
>>
File: 1588856292096.jpg (31 KB, 378x378)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>Sounds like you need to get better. One race weekend does the same thing. Trails change, and get more difficult (which is a good thing) - get over it.
>>
>>31418
Get a Giant or some other decent brand with cheap options.
>>
File: 1613966741097.png (33 KB, 600x800)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>30703
Nice, Ragleys are pretty based. Not sure how I feel about the 63.75 head tube angle, but it looks like it would be pretty fun if you're mainly gonna use it for descending. You should also check out Marino bikes if you're not in a huge rush and are ok with building up a bike from parts. $250 for a fully custom steel frame
>>31335
This anon knows what's up, gravel bikes are such a meme. I'm convinced the only reason "gravel" bikes exist is because most people know hybrids are pretty gay, so they had to change the marketing to make hybrids more appealing.
>>
>>31917
Where I live is all max 10 minute climbs and short trails so schlacck is all good as long as you aren't massively overbiked. Will probably put a 160 on it too so should be fun.

Kinda fancied a marino originally but have heard some not so wonderful things about the drop out strength, I always fuck up the back end of bikes and the last non dj hardtail I had a I bent the rear triangle so bad the wheel stopped turning.

Kid who rides locally had one of the sick full sus frames that marino did and mashed the rear triangle and he is probably about 8st max so I didn't fancy trying it out at about 14st.

All given the price and options are rad as fuck but heard mixed reviews.
>>
>>30800
>switchbacks
Both, I am scared to lose balance and go face first in a rock.
I am running 30 40% depending on what I am using so idk if I should go for a 50+ lbs spring
>>
I put on a 50mm instead of a 80mm stem because everyone told me it'll make the bike handle much better, but I can't notice the difference at all. Am I retarded?
>>
>>31981
You just need to trust the bike. It can capably handle pretty much anything you throw at it. You just need ride it confidently.
JFC 30-40% sag. Get yourself a new spring. If your current sag is closer to 40% get a spring 100+ heavier than what your current is.
>>
>>31994
Probably a little bit, 30mm is a reasonable difference, depends on your bike/bar set up as well though. Most modern bike designs other than xc bikes are broadly designed around 25-60mm stems.
>>
>>31418
pics? sounds rad.
>>31917
>hybrids are gay
lol why? you have to be 18 to post on this site
>>31994
go less and go fast
>>
Im currently inbetween these two bikes, for getting me started in the hobby/sport of mtb.

Vitus Nucleus 27 VR for 907€

Or ZR TEAM 8.0 for 1034€
>>
File: IMG_20210329_164656_1.jpg (2.33 MB, 1500x2000)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
I want to do my first singletrail. This is it. I'm afraid of being too slow and getting in the way of actual experienced people. How fast should I go really, so that I'm not a cunt to anyone, but also don't kill myself?
>>
>>32125
Just try to find an opening when there's nobody behind you or move out of the way if there is. No need to overthink this, practice is how you get better.
>>
>>104
I hope this the right place. I am kinda getting into biking, I have a really old mtb from 15 years ago (use it with my dad) and I just ride on offroad, some hills (mostly roads). Is there a way to keep track of your kms and let it sync with apples health?
>>
>>32127
Okay yeah I stopped dead at the start of the trail yesterday since I wasn't sure about the etiquette here. Gonna do it today. Thanks anon.
>>
>>32128
Easiest option is to download strava to your mobile phone and carry it with you when you ride. More expensive option is to buy yourself a garmin or wahoo that attaches to your bike and syncs with strava on your phone.
>>
>>32141
nice thanks anon. I just start doing it casually so strava should be a good option.
>>
>>31981
Don't enter them at 40 mph.
>>
File: Wide Bars.jpg (37 KB, 650x488)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>32028
just run a negative stem bro
>>
File: Excellent.jpg (53 KB, 468x700)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>32125
Don't stop in the middle of the trail. If you do stop move your body and bike off of the tread. Yield to bikers coming uphill.
>>
>>1835
Cannondale habit
>>
>>1835
tomac vanish 160
>>
Is the Fidlock over-rated or is really that good?
>>
File: 29063.jpg (76 KB, 600x600)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>32128
If you just want to measure how far you've gone and your average/max speeds get a cheap cycling computer like pic related. Batteries last essentially forever and it's easier to use than fucking with some app on your phone.
>>
>>32229
I rate them. But the bottle do not hold that much water
>>
>>1835
This is mine.
Can’t wait for the snow to melt. She’s ready.
>>
>>31448
We ride Joaquin Miller Park. Black Canyon Spectral, this better not be you Santa Cruz friend because we already ride together
>>
>>1835
Just copped a brand-new stumpy, I’m finally out of hardtail hell.
>>
>>32425
yeah ill keep a look out for group of autists
>>
I got a predicament bros, I got a job at a trek bike shop and I start in two weeks. I applied at another sporting goods store that has a bike department and now I am going to interview next week for a position as a bike floor guy. Idk which one I wanna work at cause I never have worked at a bike shop before. What yall think? Should I just stick with trek? The sporting goods place is a bit closer though and I know a few people who work there. I am hesitant to quit trek though cause they gave me a job.
>>
>>32577
Sporting goods store= you get magnas and schwinns 90% of the time. Also trek associates get crazy stupid deals if they complete Trek’s training modules so I hear.
>>
>>32583
Forgot to mention that it’s typically easier to work on common problems with modern higher end bikes than with old bikes or BSOs, so a higher end, more dedicated shop might be easier and more enjoyable on a daily basis, even if the work has to be of a higher quality to adhere to the shop’s standards. Coworkers make a big difference though so make sure wherever you go, it has a decent laid back culture or at least not a toxic one.
>>
>>32577
This anon >>32587 makes a good point, as far as I'm aware Trek don't do any of the stupid "Our own standard" shit like Spesh do, is it an actual trek owned concept store type thing or just a bike shop that deals exclusively/mostly with Trek? if it's just a bike store that's probably good, concept store though be wary of them having super retarded company policy on certain things.
>>
>>32577
Rei is pretty good from what I hear
>>
File: DSC06770.jpg (883 KB, 1606x1073)
883 KB
883 KB JPG
Any downhill bros in here? Buying demo 8 650B last year was the best decision ever. I've never felt so confident on a bike before.
>>
>>2340
it can be
>>
File: 1617283729303.jpg (18 KB, 445x427)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2340
No, its just cross country in snow and with a bike with fat tires. And XC is just road biking but with dirt and some rocks. Basically you are being a roadie, so back to /n/igger.
>>
>>32019
I will try on the 3rd week of april since I have vacations, there are some tricky switchbacks I want to try and my full face arrives sometime next week. Will try to check in the bike shop some spring.
>>32171
I want to be like richie rude entering at 10000kph or like florian nicolaï here fast and smooth as fuck at 1:14 https://youtu.be/L1TI0Uw9-48
>>
>>33100
Dh bikes are fucking great if you've got a shuttle or a lift, but 170-180 bikes are so fucking easy to pedal now that they're kind of redundant, but that doesn't make them any less fun.
>>
>>32576
We're the only riders there who aren't white or filipinos
>>
Any enduro chads doing this this summer? They just announced registrations at 16h tuesday
>>
>>33442
What’s the point if you’re 6 feet away
>>
>>33730
How tf will that work?
>>
Can anyone recommend a good straiggt steerer fork? Seems like my only options are rockshox and suntour
>>
File: 1617283655017.jpg (45 KB, 694x564)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>33730
>whats the poijt if you re 6 ft away
What did (you) mean by this?
>>
>>19337
Fedko & Rogatkin.
>>
Anyone watching Crankworx Innsbruck this June?

What are your predictions, other than Emil winning?
>>
>>33766
Not really answering your point, but since you mentioned Innsbruck, anyone that knows the area and can recommend me the best trail to start downhill? I've been reading about the Arzler Alm Trail but when I get there, I really don't feel like it's made for complete beginners.
Only "light" one I've seen while googling is The Chainless One at Innsbruck Bike Park, but that's not even open yet.
Would really appreciate any suggestions on which trail to do and survive as a total newbie.
>>
>>33918
>its not made for complete beginners
Downhill is not for complete beginners. You must first start riding trail, not dh, you will never learn the basics. Don't just hop on the "I saw a cool downhill edit on yt and now I will do DH when I've never ridden in dirt before" train hype, start with trail and you'll be doing progress.
Kek I just checked, you are better off learning to ride in arzler alm trail, its smooth and seems very forgiving with plenty of line choices, flow and not many bumps. The chainless one is pure BS that is a thin fireroad with dirt mounds and can be done with gravel bikes, the only thing i can think off that trail would work is for warmup(and there are better warmups that this shit) and getting used to high speed jumps, nothing else. Remember dh trails are not blue green jump trails you see on whistler, that shit can be done in xc bikes and even gravel bikes. Just ride bmx for that, and bmx is hard since keeping speed for those jumps is no joke
https://youtu.be/bxPFZuUea3I this is dh, keeping speed over bumps, rock gardens, and sketchy lines where one would usually brake is the dh art.

https://youtu.be/zZ1HH2VAQtM this its best ridden with >150mm bikes since they are more agile and jumps are small. Although this mf is crazy af going that fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJLfiBejs8B/?igshid=14t0kivbw2rsj he didn't fall since he knows how to ride chunky stuff, knkws to control the bike and the bike absorbed good hits also, he didn't start riding dh on smooth jump trails, you're better off riding downhill on fireroads going fast as fuck trying to controlling the bike without berms in turns kek
>>
nice edit. Tfw no gf to shred with ;_;

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-goofy-times-and-fast-lines-in-girls-gotta-eat-dirt.html
>>
>>34234
Appreciate the input, Anon. The way you wrote makes it seem as though initially you thought I should not do either of the ones I mentioned, but after seeing Arzler Alm, you think it's fine for me to learn. Is this correct? You think I should just go for it in the Arzler Alm one already? People here do say it is fine for beginners as well, maybe I'm just being a pussy. I hope that's the case, as I really want to experience this trail asap.
>>
>>34287

Innsbruck is a shitty place for mtb. Austria in general is very hostile to mtb as long as you don't pay. You aren't even allowed to ride on fireroads.

I'd suggest buying an Enduro doitall bike with 160mm travel as you can ride basically anything with it. Then go for green and blue trails on trailguide and trailforks in your are.

Good areas with flowy but also challenging trails when you get better for beginners are Freiburg, Pfälzer Wald, Vinschgau, wallis. Also the flowtrail concept is OK for beginners. There are good ones in Bikepark like Sölden, Serfaus or brandnertal. Porters du soleil tends to be really blown out with big braking bumps already mid season. Just learn the basics and ride always below your limit because injuries will set you back.
>>
>>34252
ya this was sick
>>
File: 1615921865011.png (50 KB, 600x361)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>34252
Fug, they actually look like they'd be fun to ride with. I wish girls like that existed around these parts. The only ones that ride around here are roadies and grabblers (basically roadies). Life is unfair bros.
>>
>>34309
Thanks a lot for the advice and the recommendations! It sounds like a good way to go. Much appreciated Anon.
>>
File: max_ripton_co_2_207308.jpg (944 KB, 1333x2000)
944 KB
944 KB JPG
>>34316

yeah, really hard to come by and get to know girls that shredd
>>
File: 1612477896969.jpg (152 KB, 800x1200)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>34316
I met one 2 weeks ago. Since I'm not horny at all when I ride, all I cared about was asking her about her Canyon Neuron since I ride a Spectral.

Before that, a PAWG on a Juliana rode past me while I was sitting down taking a break.
I only encounter sexy roadies when I'm on my motorcycle and they don't give a shit about my Ducati, if only they could see my 3T Exploro Racemax
>>
>>34372

Girls don't care that much about technical details. It's only important that you have the right brand and it's expensive
>>
>>34287
Yes, thats what I meant, ride the arzler alm trail and it will teach you technical and give you the important confidence over chunky terrain. Technical riding is overlooked and overshadowed by huge jumps. In races, where riders reduce or gain time is on technical sections. Checkout the second part of this Cathrovision(after 9:15) https://youtu.be/BI6m-lEcsKk. See how choosing the correct line and doing technical stuff properly reduces time. If you add all this sections it gives you big differences. Too bad he doesn't do cathrovision anymore. Yes, man up and ride it.
>>34309
Enduro bikes are capable of doing it all but also short travel enduro bikes are very capable.
>>
>>34462
Alright yeah I see how a place like in the video would be pretty much an instant fall for me.
>Yes, man up and ride it.
Just what I needed to hear, thanks again Anon.
>>
File: 1615323241040.jpg (566 KB, 700x806)
566 KB
566 KB JPG
>>34471
Ygmi
>>
groadie here i live in a place with loads of sandstone so big chunky stuff and drops my gravel bike doesnt like. there are some nice fire trails and the gravel bike is great for commuting so i love it but id be able to do way more trails if i got something w suspension and higher bolume tyres. i dont know much about mtb but i like the look and simplicity of hardtails. should i get a marlin
>>
>>35141
should mention theres a massive mtb scene around here and its fuckin beautiful but i have no friends so don't have anyone to ask for advice. cheers lads
>>
>>35141
>>35142
Quite a few different marlins anon. I would check out /bbg/ on /n/ and give them a budget.
>>
>>35145
thanks mate. should have been more specific, thinking of a 7 since i can afford it and it seems to be available real close to me. i'll do a bit more research before buying anything for sure. more just wanted to see if i was on the right track
>>
>>35148
It's not a bad bike but personally when I was shopping around that price for my hardtail I made getting an airfork a priority. I understand getting any bike is hard right now though.
>>
What is everything to do with mtb eyewateringly expensive?
>>
File: 1.jpg (267 KB, 958x718)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>1835
A fun one.
>>25281
Strip it, brushed ally looks sick.
>>32405
MOONRAKER
>>
>>35208
Will you trust handlebars to some chink carbon maker? Helmet to chinks? Brakes to chinks? Only thing I would use as chink products are mudguards, grips, rubber seals, plastic shit. Rather pay for name brand carbon frame than to buy a chink frame off aliexpress for it to snap in half and I'l leave me in a wheelchair. Sure clothing is expensive asf, only thing I pay are shorts and gloves. Idc about shirts or socks, they can be chink but I rather have then done by a skillful vietnamese child. Tried chink shorts but were uncomfortable and velco fell off quite easily. Mineral oil? I bought total lhm plus and its the same shit. Don't buy parktool, way too pricy and way above point of diminishing returns. Degreaser? Multipurpose kitchen degreaser(strong one though). Only lubricant mtb specific are 2 finishline wet and dry chain lubes. Just buy stuff at sales man, you save alot. Its also expensive bc customers earn alot so there's market for expensive stuff. Also keeps niggers at bay.
>>
>>35208
Also check used market? Pretty good stuff out there(pinkbike). Bought my bike(>>30722) at a very very good price and bought a pike rct3 for my now stolen bike. Everything was in mint condition, I'll check the range's fork this week as service is due before summer
>>
Anyone in Oslo can recommend me trails around the city? Both in Tryvannshøyden/Frognerseteren and the other hills surrounding the city.
>>
File: MetaTr29.jpg (114 KB, 559x707)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>25281
Meta Tr 29 Alloy Boi reporting in
>>
>>35462

https://trailguide.net/
https://mtbmap.no/
https://www.trailforks.com/
>>
>>35540
>>35462
Fuck me. I live in Innsbruck and I was kinda content with the apparently low amount of proper trails around here. After seeing what is around Oslo, I now understand the guy who said Austria is not MTB friendly. Holy shit.
>>
>>35540
I've already checked out all those, I was just looking for personal opinions and such.

>>35557
>Austria is not MTB friendly
How could such a mountainous country that is also rich and outdoors-focused on a cultural level be MTB unfriendly? Keep in mind that you won't find more than 300 meters of elevation loss in the area immediately around the city, so it's not all so great. If you want a proper bike park you need to go to either Hafjell or Hovden I think, that's about 2 and 4 hours of driving respectively according to google.
>>
>>35329
Off yourself, cretin.
>>
>>35329
Parktool is actually good. It's either parktool or chinkshit if you're looking for tools
>>
>>35329
>Literally 95% of bike parts are made by about 4 factories in Taiwan
>Asian shit bad, buy TRUE MURICAN SHIT (*made in taiwan)

Good one retard
>>
>>35607
>It's either parktool or chinkshit
I find this hard to believe.
>>
>>35563
>won't find more than 300 meters of elevation loss in the area immediately around the city
Well I guess the altitude on ours makes it a bit better, I have the Nordkette Singletrail which is 1000m elevation loss practically in my backyard. But still I'm jealous of the amount of choice you guys have.

>How could such a mountainous country that is also rich and outdoors-focused on a cultural level be MTB unfriendly
I don't know. They like to talk about it a lot, have a whole "bike city Innsbruck" thing going on, but the amount of maintained proper mtb trails we have available is really low compared to Oslo. Like around 8 in the immediate vicinity.
>>
>>35616
He's talking about mainlander chink shit made by companies that only exist for a week. Not island chinkshit like Topeak

>>35620
That's everything that's on amazon. You either pay for parktool or gamble on 橘子鸡 SPEEDY BIKE PUMP
>>
>>35623
Why not from other cheaper brads like bizmann or stuff like that?
>>
>>35623
>橘子鸡 SPEEDY BIKE PUMP
Not all of them are like this. The crafty bugmen are starting to disguise themselves, or at least try to. I saw some shit from some "Cycorld" brand. I googled it and they actually made a website, trying to make it look legit and not chinkshit. Best part is:
>Cycorld is founded by the young Couple Bourne and Amy, who knew each other during cycling in America. We are delicated to provide the top quality cycling products to our fellow cyclists.
>>
>>35563

>How could such a mountainous country that is also rich and outdoors-focused on a cultural level be MTB unfriendly?

Very conservative and everything is ruled by boomers. It's even forbidden to ride fireroads. There are some bike ghettos like Sölden and Saalbach but outside of them they hate bikers. Innsbruck is nice if you like vert stuff, like really steep and rocky trails. Not much flow there. And although they have the bike festival and everything they close trails and stuff because they also don't like bikers there.
>>
i've got a gary fisher wahoo with some real old tires, what's a good replacement?
>>
>>35665
Mondraker Foxy R Carbon
>>
>>35638
>It's even forbidden to ride fireroads
But why?
>And although they have the bike festival and everything they close trails and stuff because they also don't like bikers there.
So you mean that these are local regulations?
>>
>>35329
thats why you dont get carbon chinkshit, aluminium t6 6061 chinkshit is where its at. Part of it is knowing what you can skimp out on. wheels are something you cant skimp out on. even for the cheapest set of good wheels you are going to be paying $400+. But random shit like cable ends, cable crimps, tubeless valves, are ok to skimp out on. anything that your safety depends on needs to be name brand, you can get chinkshit if you do your research right, the fooker pedals are good quality. anything that is a vital component of the bike get the brand name stuff, unless you want your brakes to stop working, your bars to snap, your wheels to taco. or your cranks/pedals to fall off. Mountain biking is not really that expensive of a hobby, as a poorfag you can get an old all mountain bike used. but you are going to be spending all of your money on consumables and service, and specialty tools. I bought a nice enduro bike for $700 and spend around $400 on all the specialty tools, and misc parts, and fluids. compare that to car guys who spend 2k on tires.
>>
File: IMG_20190801_055645.jpg (532 KB, 1249x937)
532 KB
532 KB JPG
>>35665
Hello fellow wahoo anon, depends on what kind of riding your doing.
>>
>>35739

>But why?

because in europe hunting is bound to hunting grounds that are in the possesion of wealthy and influential people on a regional level. Then there is the agricultural and hiking lobby and they are all intertwined. They all hate mountainbikers and do everything to keep them out of the woods.

>So you mean that these are local regulations?

In austria every fireroad is off limits for bikers if its not specifically allowed. Some regions do this because they want money from tourists. In austria everything is built around the winter tourism, so they try to keep the bikers in their lift access areas where they have to pay and out of the natural singletrails. This leads to paradox situations like innsbruck where they do marketing stuff like crankworks and shiny images of mountainbikers riding officially forbidden trails to lurk people into the region which ar mostly boomers that are ok riding paved roads.

see here for enternatinment:

https://www.fb.com/YouLikeItBikeIt/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jGlEnBNIY
>>
>>35940
>All hate mountain bikers and do everything to keep them out of the woods

Yeah bongland is pretty much the same for this, horse riders are viewed as having some "Right" to be there despite mostly being chronic retards on dangerous 1t+ animals with shitty training, and bikes are viewed as inherently dangerous to everyone else.

The bit that's really funny here though is the amount of places where bikes are "Banned" with no penalty

>Ban mtb in certain woods
>People instantly start building more trails instead of listening to landowner becuase what the fuck are they going to do about it, ban us?
>>
>>35665
any $100 90s rigid
>>
>>35960
>horse riders are viewed as having some "Right" to be

while i agree horse riders shouldn't be there its no comparison.
how many horse riders do you actually meet on a path? maybe one a day if you're lucky probably not even a single one
how many bikes do you pass? hundreds, thousands all riden by people who arguably shouldnt be on one (boomers)
>>
stay the fuck out of my woods
>>
Fuck horse riders. People get butthurt about dog shit being everywhere but a massive steaming pile of horseshit gets a pass
>>
>>35960
> >People instantly start building more trails instead of listening to landowner becuase what the fuck are they going to do about it, ban us?

My home city has recently drawn up plans to officially expand the "off road biking" trail networks (most isn't officially sanctioned but just left in place by the government) and had a community consultation period. All the environmental groups are up in arms about it because they think officially expanding "off road biking" trail networks is going to result in the destruction of nature. This is despite everyone who rides an MTB telling them there are studies showing that MTB trails have the same environmental impact as walking trails (which are okay with the environmental groups for some reason) and that an officially expanded trail network that caters to the wants of the MTBing community will reduce the number of illegal trails built in a non-environmentally friendly manner. Environmentalists are retarded.
>>
>>35940
Hunting is VERY popular here (there's lots of civilian-owned weapons), just like winter sports (Norway has more olympic medals in those than any other country despite a small population) so it's not like coexistence is impossible. But I guess boomers and NIMBYs will nag no matter what.

>>36226
>Environmentalists are retarded.
You see, 100 years ago a good chunk of these people would be church-going religious zealots. Nowadays they have to congregate around some other moralistic system of beliefs, or at least something they perceive as such, no matter if it's actually religious or secular. Because that's just the way they are, it's in their genes to be pearl-clutching busybodies that have to protect stuff against things they think of as harmful or that they simply dislike. They have conclusions and reality must bend in order to adapt to those, just like when creationists tell people that fossils are just a trick of the devil to test their faith.
>>
Is it even possible or a good idea to upgrade a budget bike into something more rideable? Or should i go cheap and then go up to a new and proper midrange bike?
I've reached the limits of what my cheap old XC bike can do and worry if i go for one of the budget "proper" mountain bikes it's not going be that big of a step up and i'm going to be stuck if i can't upgrade the parts on it bit by bit, since the nicer looking above/around 1000 dollar bikes are already out of budget for me right now.
>>
>>36268
I would save money until you can get a mid tier MTB. You will just be wasting money on something that doesn't perform all that well and you will have to replace soon enough.
>>
>>36261

>Norway

well for once austria or central europe in general are way more densly populated than scandinavia so there will always be more conflicts. Especially since corona mtbing, cycling and other outdoor activities have exploded. Then there is there is a hunting grounds system in place where people rent or posess the right to hunt there - nobody else. Its like renting a flat basically and you can do what you want there in terms of hunting and other activities. So they have a strong interest in keeping their hunting ground free of any disturbance. There is a law that everyone is free to move in the woods but they would ban everyone if they could and they do everything for it.

>>36268

Depends what you wanna ride but usually its not worth it because modern, more capable bikes have got progressive geometry and are stiffer and more capable in almost every regard. I would try to get the best deal for something that has progressive slackish geometry and decent suspension tha at least can be upgraded cartridge wise. Something like Yari comes to mind - you can bascially make it better than a lyric with aftermarket cartridges. But usually buying complete bike with your desired components is the cheapest way instead of buying aftermarket.
>>
>>36290
>austria or central europe in general are way more densly populated than scandinavia
I think this might be an issue, but at the same time Oslo is not a small city so in the area around it I'd expect to see a similar density.
>Especially since corona mtbing, cycling and other outdoor activities have exploded.
Has this lead to any changes in the last months?
>people rent or posess the right to hunt there - nobody else.
But only for hunting right? You should still be able to move through that area.
>>
>>36298

>Has this lead to any changes in the last months?

yes, many trails were closed and in bavaria your bike can now be seized if you ride a trail that is closed for bikers

>But only for hunting right? You should still be able to move through that area.

yeah, in germany there is a free tresspassing law if you are on foot you basically can wander through any wood you want but for bikes more and more trails and even fireroads get closed. New signs are popping up almost daily. In my county riding trails narrower than 2 meters is generally forbidden so I'm used to eat forbidden fruits only but usually you don't get caught, but that could change
>>
>>36311
Damn, that's fucked up. How has the MTB community responded there?
>>
>>36268
so anon, your xc bike has to have a few things for you to be able to upgrade it piece by piece. it should have boost wheel spacing, a tapered fork, and quick release wheels.
I would go for a fork upgrade first.
Get a fox 34 or 36 or the rockshox equivalent, get the longest travel you are willing to tolerate, I would say 160 mm max, second is to get stronger wheels, my personal preference is to get cheap downhill wheels, used or new. once you have a nice long travel tapered fork and nice wheels, you should be able to get a new frame bottom bracket, and cranks. then you should be able to keep the same brakes, bars, shifters, cassette, gears, derailure, and headset. (your headset may not be compatable with the new frame)

Also buying a used full suspension frame on pinkbike (shock included) is a great way to upgrade to full suspension.
>>
>>36510
>fox 34/36 160 mm
>on an xc bike
Those forks are thru axle only anyway, there's no QR version available, do you even know what you are talking about?
>>
>>36525
sorry, I meant to say through axle.
this is just what i did with trail bike. I started off with an xc bike and eventually upgraded everything. now i have the bike that all of the upgrades are on, and the xc bike that i reassembled out of my parts bin.
>>
>>36330

MTB community is very fragmented. Only thing that connects us is consooming. But now a few bike companies and clubs are doing something but its too early to tell if it will work.

The problem is that our opponents are well organized and sit at the right place to decide things.
>>
>>36589
I know that here there's been some back and forth between the different parties in the last few years, but it seems that nothing significant came out of it and there haven't really been any changes.
>>
Mtb guy here. Why though is biking culture so god damn soft? It’s centered around buying a 5k bikes then buying 1k worth of gear. All the YouTube stuff like pink bike is weak as hell, plus bike gear looks pretty gay. I wear jeans when I go downhill biking, fuck this dentist sport
>>
>>36680
>I wear jeans when I go downhill biking
Bait.
>>
>>36680
Cool bait.
>>
>>36731
not a joke
>>
>>36731
He doesn’t pedal or sit down, makes sense
Also what about that dh guy with a silly Scandinavian name he wears stretchy jeans the “denim destroyer”
>>
>>36680

maybe those jorts are for you then:

>>34252
>>
>>36918
God I wish I was that bike
>>
>>36920

imagine the smell
>>
>>36920

I wish I was her
>>
Anyone else here around 6 feet tall? If so do you ride 27.5 or 29? 27.5 seems more agile but I'm on a 26 rn and really just want some comfort more than anything
>>
>>37275
27.5 vs 29 is overrated, all that matter is tires over 2.4” thick
6’0” with 29” hardtail and 27.5” enduro and 26” enduro
>>
>>34555
Just wanted to say that the weather finally allowed me to go today. And I did. And crashed a couple of times. And it was FUCKING AWESOME. Thanks for the encouragement man, this shit was all I expected it to be!
>>
File: 1616675916894.jpg (57 KB, 464x380)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>36930
>>36918
>>
>>35569
Back to /n/
>>
File: 20210415_190240.jpg (3.83 MB, 3386x2497)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
Where ma /hardtail/ chads at?
>>
>>37674
>walmart bike
>dork disc
>>
>>37686

Doesn't look like Walmart bike to me
>>
>>2410
>>2362
A bit late here but /n/ has been absolute garbage for cycling discussion for some time now. It's been invaded by unracer autists that force their shit in every single bike thread and make discussion about any form of cycling impossible. Roadies have already migrated to /sp/ so there's no harm moving the MTB discussion here.
>>
Just broke my Giant Reign 29's rim. What should I replace it with? 28 spokes, 30mm internal rim. I live in EU.
>>
>>37758
>>37758
>What should I replace it with?
I have running these for like 2 years and they have been great.

https://rovalcomponents.com/collections/trail/products/traverse-carbon
>>
>>37756

I never heard about the term 'unracing' but mtb is very focused about 'having fun' obviously while going fast and wild. I'd say 70-80% of mtbers never take part in races regularly. Its more about flow for them.
>>
>>37767
Apparently "unracers avoid the spandex-clad posturing of competitive cycling and ride for the pure joy of it.". But it manifests as people aggressively hating on people approaching cycling with a competitive mindset and hate on technological advancements because it is not how you are suppose to ride a bike.
>>
>>37753
Viathon is walmart's brand of bikes.
>>
>>37686
>You can't use anything less than $5k or else you're a poorfag who has shamed his family by using such atrocities on my elitist MTB trails
>>
>>37775

Well its a hardtail with a chink carbon frame and decent components. I don't see a problem here. Most frames are made by the same company in china or taiwan if its specialized or walmart. Especially hardtail frames are not hard to make. No fancy kinematics, no bearings etc.
>>
>>37795

boutique brands just do the r&d in first world countries and then let them manufacture in asia and slap their label on it:

www.astroeng.com.tw

Then they sell it to boomers for 15k
>>
>>35462
So no one from Oslo then?
>>
>>37821

This board draws a small audience. If you are a beginner then try to go for the green/blue trails on tralguide/forks and use the elevation graph to see if its more xc/dh oriented and choose your preference from there.
>>
>>37848
I have some experience and I already checked out those, I was just looking for the personal opinion of local riders.
>>
You gotta flip a lot of burgers to get to where I am in life
>>
An old pic at a bike park in 2019
>>
>>37923
>filename related
We all know you just went the dick sucking route instead.
>>
>>36680
Enduro homogenisation fucked everything up.

Till about 2010 when no one had heard of enduro, MTB was super fractured into little discipline based groups, everyone got on but you could usually tell exactly what kind of rider someone was from the way they dressed.

Enduro was the thing that came along where companies realised that they could force all their DH racers over to it so they were riding bikes that the average guy can actually ride and think he's fast on. Then along with the advent of Strava it became about convincing everyone they were a racer and the CONSOOM was all to make you go fast, not to make it more fun.

The really shitty part of that was that it killed a bunch of the small brands who did really niche stuff and didn't catch up quick enough. Web content wise, I think the issue with youtube is that the style of content that is easiest to push on there is inherently shit, pinkbike is just an industry mouthpiece that's more about big company bumlicking for sponsor money than anything.

The only interesting thing is that the sport has now got big enough there is vaguely an "Underground" thing forming, in that there are mags such as Shredder that areun't there to appease the industry. Basically I think MTB needs to go the way of surfing and completely split in two and seperate any racing/competitive aspects out from just riding for fun, can you imagine a bike that was purely designed to be enjoyable to ride? Madness.

TLDR: Enduro was pushed en masse as it's the easiest lowest common denominator to sell any cunt a bike and expensive gear.

>>37923
Nice, spring or coil z1?
>>
File: 20210228_112917.jpg (3.33 MB, 3024x2800)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
For me
It's Holy Cross
The best 2wheel brand
>>
File: 1618056801837.gif (255 KB, 300x243)
255 KB
255 KB GIF
>>38009
Mirin'. It would match my orange googles. Try putting some orange grips or a renthal bar for max performance.
>>
>>37923
Where is this?
>>
>>38009
get some orange or blue i9 wheels to match the bike
>>
>>38002
>can you imagine a bike that was purely designed to be enjoyable to ride? Madness.
Something tells me you have a narrow definition of enjoyable. Also, enduro would have become popular on its own anyway, industry shilling only sped up the process.
>>
>>38002
Well disregarding that “enduro” has been a motorcycle race format for decades and the fact that “enduro” has been used in mountain biking since before 2000, that specialized has been suing people over the name “enduro” for a while, regardless if it means the same back then as now, I don’t think that the all-mountain bicycle is responsible for the wild consumerism in mtb. Rampant consumerism has been around since mtb started, it piggybacked straight from 80-90’s road biking and grew more than ever in mtb because unlike road biking, the “latest and greatest” actually does something to help you. I mean the post you replied to is obvious bait but I think you’re missing the point here, “enduro” in 2005 is barely “trail” in 2020, “all-mountain” doesn’t exist and “freeride” is dead, I don’t think it’s the bike disciplines that are driving sales, the “all-mountain” bike just happens to be the most versatile bike so that’s what is sold to everybody
>>
>>38002
Air and it’ll likely stay air since I don’t want to commit to a non-reversible swap. I think forks with bigass air chamber are plenty linear enough and stiction is rarely a concern for me, maybe in the future but for now my next suspension purchase is a new EXT storia rear shock for this >>37927
>>38042
Idaho, get pine forests, rolling plains and dusty desert all within a 30 minute ride
>>
>>38056
Tight, haven't tried one of their shocks but had EXT springs before and they're the bits on other shocks.
Yeah fair enough, just curious as I've got a coil set on order at the minute as I dig coil sproingers.

>>38052
>Word has other uses therefore your argument is invalid

Good one.

What I mean is they found a way to make the most mass appeal bike the center of technical innovation and therefore sales in the sport, middle aged middle class guys are the cash cow of this sport, most of them aren't strong enough to ride a DH bike or good enough to do it well, but market racing at them and stick them on a 160mm bike on trails suited to a 130mm trail bike and they'll think they're a fucking hero.

>The "All mountain" bike just happens to be the most versatile bike so that's what is sold to everybody

That was literally my point but that they've geared the whole sport to pander to the riding of those bikes, pushing other disciplines aside, and targeted everything at the middle aged cash cow riders.
>>
>>38098
I mean DH and XC have always existed as extremes, there’s a reason those haven’t actually changed intention-wise much from a design standpoint, they’re already at the extremes, they can take whatever compromises they want in pursuit of downhill or efficiency performance
The “compromise” bike will always be the one that will need constant development because it has the biggest demographic of buyers. yeah I also think it’s funny how the modern enduro bike has become the go-to for basically 100% of riding styles but this was the deal 10 years ago, 20 years ago, the most average bike will appeal to the most riders, and the most average bike will make the most compromises which means it stands to benefit the most from new tech
I mean yeah, most people want a bike that handles confidently and safely downhill while still being capable of pedaling uphill, people have been asking for that for 30 years, that’s the most generic definition of mountain biking
>>
what drivetrain is the best from a budget perspective and will still be around in about a year or two. I am running a 9speed right now, and cant find any derailures with clutches. I like to do all mountain riding, because I can't afford downhill lift tickets
>>
>>38103
>wall of text
>nothing of value said
>>
>>38119
Sram NX eagle
>>
>>38119
Shimano XT 12speed is probably better than NX but requires a different hub, sram GX and higher also needs a different hub, NX doesn’t need a new hub which is the only reason I recommend it
>>
>>38119
Microshift advent, IF you can find it
>>
>>38141
You do realise that >>38119 cannot run Eagle because his bike is so old it does not use the same hubspacing?
>>
>>38098
> stick them on a 160mm bike on trails suited to a 130mm trail bike and they'll think they're a fucking hero.

In the next 5 years we will see more short travel bikes being spec'd with aggressive enduro like geometry while enduro bikes will become more focus towards down hill riding. We are already seeing it with the 2020 Norco Optic and enduro bikes now being spec'd with 38's or Zed forks and a coil shock. DESU, the only reason anyone (who was not racing or lived on terrain to justify it) had to buy an enduro bike was the geometry and more powerful brakes. If you can get that in a short travel bike everyone will move to it.

> That was literally my point but that they've geared the whole sport to pander to the riding of those bikes, pushing other disciplines aside, and targeted everything at the middle aged cash cow riders.
It has always been like that and XC and DH are going strong.
>>
>>38142
I upgraded my 12 speed NX eagle to Shimano XT. I actually crashed and damaged my XT shifter and it still shifts smoother and better than NX ever did
>>
>>38172
NX Eagle runs on HG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.