[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 84 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1573295565780.jpg (222 KB, 980x500)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
No working legs? No Problem edition
Post Pictures of rides, discuss rides. Post your bike and where you are, there may be a hot single anon in your area.
Threadly question: Which injuries kept you off the bike? I've had a few crashes where I thought I had to take a break from riding but it turned out that pedalling didn't hurt me at all. These include spraining my ankle when I lost my rear on dry leaves on dust, tearing open my knee in 2 crashes, and breaking my toe while rock climbing. I think COVID might keep me off the MTB for a while but only because the technical climbs I like doing make my heart rate spike way higher than a steady climb on road.
FAQ:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Used hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
Used full suspension
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike.
This is a handy guide. Not comprehensive but a good guide for american riders. Europeans and Asians have access to other brands.
https://youtu.be/p_xdAi1xVDE
https://youtu.be/ihlQDGClCbs

Previous Thread: >>95377
>>
Just got into a car crash I was thinking about bringing my bike with me but thank God I didn't.
>>
>>102997
I get the whole "I won't let my disabilities keep me down" shit, but I cannot help but feel like this is fucking retarded. A completely normal person engaging in extreme sports is sometimes thought to be a little crazy, suicidal even. If you're going to do this why not just get to it and start playing Russian roulette.
>>
>>102997

Only real value brand is radon i fear:

https://www.radon-bikes.de/mountainbike/fullsuspension/
>>
File: funni_joke.jpg (1.26 MB, 3577x2057)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>102997
>Which injuries kept you off the bike?
I've slipped a disc or something in my back which sucks. Trying to take it easy for a while so I can ride later in the summer. Really bummed out about it.
And that hard bump from when I hit leg above my ankle still isn't gone.

>>103030
I don't think I could give it up even if disabled.

Figure I'd finally post my bike to this place, if anyone sees me say hi.
>>
File: hsssss.png (406 KB, 484x899)
406 KB
406 KB PNG
It's insane how many people are falling for this snake oil shit. I really don't get how there are now two companies dedicated to making a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
>>
Saw someone explaining pump/jump technique in terms of row/antirow on YouTube last night, took it to the local pump track today and it clicked. I fucking love the sense of satisfaction I get from this sport pretty much every time I ride.

>>103026
Is the car a write off? Hope you and anyone else involved are ok, that's the most important thing.
>>
>>103030
I understand why they do it but it makes me wince how none of their adaptives ever seem to have a rollcage fitted. Imagine how much you would hate yourself if you went from para to quad through misadventure.
>Want to an hero
>Tfw no arms

>>103111
Hello fellow bong
>>
>>103144
I am guessing you have never ride chinless before. The front chain ring not rotating as the suspension cycles does create a decent amount of kick back.
>>
>>103158
>ride chinless
Yeah never done that before, ridden chainless though. I like it makes me concentrate on conserving speed

Pedal kickback is a non factor for modern mtb suspension. The rotation induced from the bike moving through travel won't be fast enough to exceed the speed difference between the hub and freehub.
Dtswiss published a paper on it ages ago.
What you think is pedal kickback is just the feeling of the chain oscillating.
You can even watch pinkbike's huck to flat slow-mos which would be the worst case scenario, the chains are never under tension. It's all fuckin snake oil.
>>
>>103164
https://youtu.be/XGxYZ9Rh2t4
Pedal kickback isn't even an issue unless you're descending in the granny gear. Maybe at pro level riding with consistent big hits, but for us, even in middle gears, it's not an issue.
>>
>>103148
Car looks bad probably a write off, everybody's fine, I wasn't driving and we got rear ended by some 20y/o chick who can't stay off her fucking phone. This is her 5th car accident and 2nd time rear ending someone.
>>
>>103164
>>103171
Thanks for confirming you haven't rode a bike chainless before. Also, that video just confirms that riders will be experience some degree of kick back when riding.

Like all aftermarket parts, anti-kick back devices are not for everyone. They are for riders seeking to optimise their bike. Don't get salty that you are too poor to afford nice things.
>>
File: 1619237840955.jpg (894 KB, 2048x2730)
894 KB
894 KB JPG
Fuck this gay internal routed shit.

Fitting an angle set at the moment and ditching the cables-thru stem design the bike came out with from factory. This is honestly so much of a fuck about just to change the headset out for a different one I don't think I even want to own this bike any more
>>
>>103219
Lol nevermind now I understand why these companies are succeeding
>>
>>103245
...because they make products that noticably improve the functionality of the bike and advancing MTB?

I garuntee you hated on dropper posts when they were first released.
>>
>>103236
> This is honestly so much of a fuck about just to change the headset out for a different one I don't think I even want to own this bike any more

You own an eBike, just pay for a shop to work on it instead of getting salty.
>>
>>103245
>>103249
*advancing MTB tech.
>>
>>103250
eBikes are based af no cap
I'm buying one in the future fr
>>
File: ajonabike1.jpg (75 KB, 667x500)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>103264
get one now. A ton of barely ridden eMTBs are showing up in the FB marketplace for my area (SF Bay) because the fat boomers and lazy filipinos who bought them thought they were going to be mountain bikers when the pandemic hit and then it proved to be too tough for them even with boost mode doing all the work
>>
>>103274
I am bikemaxxed at the moment.
Only been riding 6 months and already got two. No space or budget for anything else.
>>
Anons today I learned that I hate trails where the directions switch by the day. I went to Michigan to visit family and brought my MTB. This also about me hating xc riding, it's like road riding but worse because you don't have any significant hills to climb or decend. Or at least the trails in central Michigan just suck ass. All of them are greens with no real elevation gains or losses, it may say black or blue on the trail designation but they are all greens with no exceptions. The only thing that differentiates them is how hard of an optional feature they put on an 8 mile trail. The features ranging from green to blue difficulty with a random unsanctioned double black skinny off in the woods somewhere. Anyways trails with directional days are the worst, they couldn't decide which way to make their flat xc trail so they decided to make it both ways and alternate it on different days. Then the 60 year old xc rider in a full face on the green trail bitches at you about putting him and his 7mph at risk for riding up the 6ft wide trail In the opposite direction to go session the unsanctioned double black skinny. Nobody even says anything when pedaling up to the top on faster dh trails. XC trails always attract the worst riders, and I don't know why. Xc riding sucks, dealing with Xc riders sucks and driving to go ride xc sucks.
>>
>>103250
Just no, no matter how much I hate working on my own bikes I just don't trust any shop 'mechanic' any more. Had too many parts left loose, wrong fluid used, bullshitted about problems that I just do my own repairs now.

Also I have covid so I can't actually take it to a shop at the moment.
>>
>>103349
Sound like shit trails, you should dig your own
I have no quarrel with xc personally but I hate /n/iggers with a passion
>>
File: 1580129882204.jpg (2.37 MB, 2730x2048)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>103236
I have an ebike again now, and with an actually decent head angle, not the 66 degrees it came with. This week il get a 160 or 170mm air shaft for the fork and hopefully all that gets it feeling a bit more enduro-ey and a bit less boomer-on-a-rail-trail-hasnt-ridden-a-bike-in-50-years spec.
>>
File: 1651491865098.jpg (1.71 MB, 2730x2048)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>103396
Also put this one back to non-mullet config. That stack height is a bit disturbing I think il cut the steerer down once I'm allowed back at work
>>
Any tips on finding riding buddies?
I like riding on my own but I'm finding progression slow, had a few minor crashes and there's always the fear at the back of my mind I'm going to really fuck myself up and be alone in the woods.
>>
>>103396
>>103401

Ha I have similar bikes. I also changed the ha on the ebike from 66,5 to 64,5 with an angleset. Why didn't you like the Mullet?
>>
>>103634
Join local facebook mtb groups. I've ridden with a few people from them that my friend has invited to ride with us. For me, I just talk to other riders on the trails and ask them about their bikes, or if I'm not sure where I'm going, I ask them for directions and then they usually offer to lead me and show me the way. The best buddy I've met on the trail is a guy whose bike I geeked over (Revel Ranger) and then we just kept running into each other at the same park and riding at other places, next thing you know, I meet his whole family and I'm meeting homemade pizza at his house on the 4th of July
>>
>>103661
Sounds nice anon, enjoy. I don't use fb but have got chatting to people at the trails whenever I see them so realistically that's how.
Problem is I'm quite bad socially, increasingly aware of that fact and anxious as a result. I find it easy enough to exchange a few pleasantries but usually end up running away beyond that.
Other issue is I've been deliberately going riding at quiet times because I don't want to look shit infront of the 15 year old kiddies and other 30+ year old boomers who can actually shred kek. I am getting better now though
>>
>>103708
I'm not really a social guy either. I'm only friendly and outgoing when I'm on a bike. I just compliment people on their bike, ask them how they like it, ask them what they've ridden today, and that's usually it. I do the same when I'm road cycling or if I see another motorcyclist with a really interesting bike like an MV Agusta.
You could also try going to group rides. I'm personally not a fan of them because they kick up way too much dust and I hate being followed but others are really into them.
There are a lot of other solo riders out there too, people don't care that you're socially awkward because they're already happy to talk to someone else who is into the same thing they are.
>>
Knowing that racist white from here are riding my local trails has made me less likely to chat with strangers on the trails.
>>
>>103728
? no racism ITT, you're actually the first to mention race at all - projecting much ?
>>
>>103731
No. Just knowing you guys post on 4chan. You know there's a bunch of other boards here that people crosspost on.
>>
File: 1613402860443.png (220 KB, 300x300)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>103728
>t.h1b1 silicon valley pajeet who got his indian ego crushed
>>
>>103636
I loved the mullet, just the fork and wheel had to go back on the ebike.

I did have a plan of going out and buying a PE grip2 for the ebike and putting the rhythm off the focus on the mondraker but I'm not totally sure on that now as the ebike isn't really my favorite bike and I'm kinda over spending money on it. Also I'm saving for a jetski.
>>
>>103708
Those kids know they are fast and don't really care that you are slower than them, so long as pull off to the side to get out of their way. Don't worry about them.

A good way to get faster is to strike up a conversation with those kids (they are super easy to talk to) and ask if you can follow them down a trail. The fastest runs I've ever done were following some 12 year old who was absolutely flying
>>
>>103734
Heh, the only pajeets I've seen on mountain bikes at my usual park were on sub $800 basic trek hardtails and pre-2010 entry level full suspensions. They were about to ride down a really fun black trail with a gnarly rock garden that comes out of nowhere and I'm pretty sure they all crashed because they didn't heed our warnings.
>>
>>103734
Not a pajeet. I was born in the USA.
>>
>>103741
I don't care if you are a USA born pajeet, as long as you aren't an asshole, or weird. But theres no need to project racism onto people in this thread just because it's on 4chan. The only people who's skin color you know online are those who bring it up.
>>
I've never encountered racism in the mtb community because everyone hates equestrians, hikers, and dog walkers too much to hate other riders for their skin color or culture
>>
>>103728
Can you kindly fuck off with your woke-ism. Woke-ism is wrecking so many things in society, I don't want it to wreck my passion in life.
>>
>>103786
I'm not even of pajeet ancestry. Why are you so fixated on them?

>>103789
Same. I just didn't realize there was a decent amount of riders in my area using this website.

>>103825
Woke-ism? Where?
>>
>>103825
>>103830

Are you guys the ones who tried to derail the last thread with /biz/ chat? Can you kindly fuck off?

At least try and keep your posts somewhat MTB related
>>
Is it worth getting a more expensive hard tail? Currently on a 100mm cannondale trail 7 but I feel like I need at least 120mm suspension to some of the jumps and drops I do, plus sometimes I do urban freerides.
>>
>>103883
Get anything other than an xc bike and you will be fine. Travel does not limit how hard you ride for the most part, geometry and component strength do.
>>103830
Also I though you were a pajeet because I understood your last post to mean that you were not a pajeet because you were born in the United States. Not that you were not a pajeet. And we're born in the United States
>>
>>103883
Yes and no. Your head angle on that bike is super steep (68 degrees) which is probably a lot of the problem here, moreso than your suspension travel. There are a couple of things you could do to slacken it out, like fitting an angle headset or trying to find a cheap used 27.5" wheel to fit on the back, but then you start fucking up the rest of the bikes geometry and itvwont be a very good bike to own or ride, even if it does feel a lot better on drops and jumps.

Like the poster above said, it's probably just as much about your suspension travel as it is the overall geo of the bike.
>>
File: PXL_20220702_205407988.jpg (3.89 MB, 4080x3072)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
I got back to the park for my 2nd ride since getting over covid. I thought I would take it easy so my heart doesn't explode but I ended up taking it slow because my front tire washed out on a dusty berm and I almost ate it on my first lap on the dual slalom. It's hard when the berm that you could always trust betrays you.
I also rode the snake again and holy fuck, I almost fell off it a few times. Another rider here told me I have to wheelie my way off of one if it goes south but it's hard to switch to that mindset since I'm balancing as slow as I can on it.
>>
File: PXL_20220528_210733493.jpg (923 KB, 2040x1536)
923 KB
923 KB JPG
>>104130
Here's the snake. It's not hard to ride, just very nervewracking. Feels like I'm 6ft up in the air. I wish there were more features like this in the area but Californians don't like riding those north shore features canadians love. Camp Tamarancho has a small skills section but it's so much harder to ride stuff like that on the long wheelbase 29er that I bring there than it is on a short 26er.
>>
>>103236
When I got my bike I wanted 2 things. Simple cable routing and rim brakes. Fuck all the faff.
>>
>>102997
The price list is pretentious
You can get good bikes for cheap now
>>
>>103349
You sound like a whiny bitch
>>
>>103732
Jesus christ you must be a troll lmao
>>
I talked to a Yeti rider yesterday at the bike park and she confirmed that Yetis and the infinity link really are as good Yeti claims they are and it dunks hard on the SC Hightower she used to have. I'd get a Yeti SB150 frame and build that up with the 170mm Zeb Ultimate I have but holy fug are they expensive new. They're much cheaper used but Yeti has a lifetime warranty on the infinity link and the frame.
>>
File: 1576158557828.jpg (1.43 MB, 2730x2048)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>104138
When I bought my last few bikes I only wanted fox +Shimano, so that's just what I bought.

But then the other day this kid offered to trade me this DH bike for my old Trance that I'd been trying to sell for a while, so I've got my first SRAM drivetrain! It shifts a lot better than I thought it would. Now I just need to find somewhere to ride it.

Tbh the only place I can think of is Rotorua.. so I guess il be taking 2 bikes next time I go there
>>
>>104252
> I've got my first SRAM drivetrain! It shifts a lot better than I thought it would.

Well duh. The people who complain about Sram are the people who are too lazy to take the time to learn how to set up and maintain it.
>>
I'm a total newbie and I've been riding with hiking boots when going out.
I got tired of my feet slipping off the pedals so I switched to some chuck taylors I had and it felt way better.
Until I get real shoes are my all stars good enough?
>>
>>104386
They'll be fine. MTB shoes are much more stiff, they stick to pedals much better, and don't get torn up by the pins. I used to think my trail running shoes were good enough but I immediately noticed the performance and comfort improvements when I got real mtb shoes. I had a much better time climbing.
>>
>>104335
Up untill now I've avoided SRAM because I've had friends buy bikes with (admittedly entry level) SRAM components on them and they have failed really quickly. Plastic derailleur linkages breaking or wearing out in under a year of riding type of thing, or brakes that never feel right without forcing extra fluid into them when finishing up a bleed.
>>
I hated SRAM because I had NX Eagle and it just never worked no matter what I did so I dumped it hard for Shimano XT. I currently have GX AXS and it works and I'll admit that GX, X01, and XX1 are good but I'll stick with Shimano for mechanical groupsets. I find Shimano shifting to be on par with SRAM's electronic, and maybe just a little bit faster.
I think I'll be staying away from SRAM for road groupsets. I've heard too many negative things about their FDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ
>>
>>104386
>riding with hiking boots
>all stars
Kek
Perhaps, just get mtb shoes and increase pin height for ultimate grip. They'll flex under load, offer little grip and no protection. For xc leasure its fine but beyond that its a no from me.
Protection is quite overlooked, I've hit my foot several times on rocks and one particular time I hit the rock so hard it was enough to slightly deform the front part. Just look at Isabeau Courdier's foot lmao.
>>
>>104469
What the fug how does that even occur

Ok I'm not planning on using the all stars forever but money is tight right now so I just want to keep learning and have the best shoe possible without spending more.

Would mtn biking shoes even save you from gore like that?
>>
>>103030
Im type 1 diabetic ( no complications) and my doctor was a little wary. I dont do anything above the tamest of intermediate trails though
>>
>>102997
Probably a silly question , but at 38 am I too old to start this? I am not fooling myself into thinking Ill be doing Downhill or advanced trails. It just looks like a fun activity and I am at the point in my life where I can afford a nice setup if I really like it and again it genuinely looks like a blast
>>
>>104483
No such thing as being too old. My friend got back into at 42 and I regularly ride with boomers with more stamina and skill than me. They also ride with no pads(don't do this) and frequently go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9iuSVnfisI
>>
>>104484
Thats pretty cool , I saw that video and its pretty cool. But I suppose I should at least rent a bike to see if I like the whole experience. Thanks for the info
>>
>>104485
*pretty amazing , typing like a dummy today. Regardless thank you
>>
>>104475
IF you will get on tech rocky terrain and pass close to rocks fast while descending I would advise to get mtb shoes, there are many under 80 $€and there are sales right now on several websites. If you are taking your time and not really pushing yourself then you should be good. No need to get freeriders for XC or just learning to mtb on mellow trails
>>
>>104483
I can't say what the experience is like for older riders personally because I'm only 20 years old, but my dad started a few years ago and he's nearing 60. He loves it and he's actually pretty damn good at tech trails.
>>
>>104475
Considering she is a professional mountain biker competing at an international level, who was wearing proper mtb shoes, it won’t protect you from injuries at a world-class competitive speed/force/momentum. This is unlikely to happen to you
>>
Went mountain biking for the first time today, surprised how hard Green World was even though its a green.
>>
https://youtu.be/LkMBvntR1cM

megavalanche was real sloppy this year apparently
>>
>>104712
youtube compression and the gopro effect always make this race look "not that bad". It's 43 minutes of downhill and I can handle maybe 3 minutes of it at a time. With how common mechanical failures are in this case, it looks like they would greatly benefit from tire inserts.I haven't been able to see it, but are they on a full gear range or are they using DH gears? Even if they did have a full SRAM 10-52T gear range, the pro riders wouldn't be using it to climb faster.
>>
>>104455
Having rode both SRAM and Shimano on the road and MTB, there is minimal difference. It literally comes down to preference and what coke stocked on your bike.
>>
>>104407
SRAM NX and SX are trash and really only exist to provide manufacturers a 12 sd option for entry level MTBs. They will wear out quick if you do any serious riding. As for SRAM brakes, IMO they are better than Shimano. But they have to be set up and serviced properly, which is difficult if you don't know what your are doing/have experience. You also need to bleed SRAM when you buy a new bike/brake set because they have been sitting around in a factory for a year or more having air get into the line.
>>
>>104787
My first-gen codes went without any bleeds whatsoever from 2011 to 2019 and were still just fine. Always used and stored in a dry environment above freezing, but still
>>
I was on vacation and went to Marquette Michigan, and it has some awesome riding. They have tech and rock rolls. And some awesome Freeride trails. Pic related is the only picture I have of me since I rode alone all day.
>>
Fellas, I think I'm finally over COVID and back to normal. I've been doing easy rides on my gravel bike to gauge my recovery and I'm ready to get back to mountain biking this weekend. I'm going to go to Skeggs Point because I really like that the entrance to Giant Salamander has a lot of trees...this won't be worth the climb out but I have to see if I can still do 2700ft and I don't want to race myself like I usually do
>>
How often should you service your suspensions? I'm on third year of my kona 153 dl.
>>
>>104916
Check your manual. Rockshox is every 50 hours for basic air can or fork lower leg service, FOX is 30 hours, this is retain small bump sensitivity. Both say service it every year
>>
>>104918
Fox actually says to not do the 50 hour service (because that’s what normal people do, not fox-authorized retail service centers) and to just send your shock back to them every 125 hours, where they do a 50-hour lower leg oil change as well as a damper oil change (which is usually called a 200-hour service)

You can notice a decrease on small bump sensitivity within just weeks of a 50-hour service, there’s no problem doing it more often than normal, and fox forks 50-hour service is pretty much the exact same process as rockshox (who does say a 50-hour can be performed at home)
>>
>>104925
Honestly, I don't even notice a decrease in performance even when I'm at the end of a service interval. I mostly do it as preventative maintenance since I can't just look inside the components to see if it's still clean. It takes me less than an hour to service both of them anyway
>>
>>104926
A freshly lubed fork is fucking amazing with how smooth and responsive it is, I would do a lower service every week if I had some kinda system to get it done in 15 minutes rather than 30 minutes + looking for that stupid long thin stick I use to push rags into the lowers
>>
>>104941
What takes me the longest is trying to find my tools, especially a dowel for cleaning the insides. I find Rockshox forks to be easier to service since they don't have crush washers that have to be replaced like Fox forks. I never really got the responsiveness and smoothness of a freshly serviced fork since my fork and shock lose pressure in the first 2 rides and then I'm always thinking about how much I lost and if it's still safe for me to hit some air
>>
>>104962
Usually putting the stanchions back into the dust wipers is what takes me longer than it should. Also my Lyrik does use crush washers at the bottom of the shafts, they’re “not” reuseable but I’ve reused them without any issues (now I have a $15 bag of tons of crush washers and 35mm foam rings)
>>
>>104962
I think something is wrong with your fork/shock if it is loosing air pressure that quickly. Mine loose pressure as well, but only 3-5psi in a month. For me a lower leg service takes 4 hours but I wash the old oil out with dawn dish soap or a mild degreaser and hot water, the other 3 hours are spent setting the lowers in the sun and then putting a blow dryer onto each leg to dry them out. Also I have a MK1 cane creek helm and the feel before/after a service is incredibly different, but the difference is less noticeable when it heats up on a long decent.
>>
>>105068
It just loses psi on the first ride and only in the rear shock, I think I'm not cycling the shock correctly or enough. For my most recent rebuild, I thought about the fork too much and I forgot to set the rebound settings to what I had them at before
>>
>>105097
Alright, I thought that you lost significant pressure every ride.
What I do for my suspension settings is I write them down the date in a little book along with notes on how it felt and on what trail.
>>
>>105100
My strava titles and descriptions are nothing but technical nonsense, PSI settings and personal thoughts about recent or future upgrades
>>
I went mountain biking for the first time in a month and since beating covid, it was 2700ft of climbing and 13 miles in total distance, it was probably too much. 2700ft over 13 miles is actually easy when done at a park like Camp Tamarancho, but those 2700ft were really over 3 miles. El Corte de Madera is some rough shit, ebikes aren't allowed there, and the rangers will jump out of the trees to ticket them so only the masochistic riders come here.
It was pain, I am tired, I'll be back

Here's a video of a much better rider than me riding the trail my picture is from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBivNnngtEw
>>
>decide to try taking good ol' commuter '09 Avalanche to the local XC trail
>fucking hate the shitty Suntour
>lovingly for first time in eternity clean'n'grease the anvil-weight XCR-LO
>decide to try something interesting
>install old/used Fox foam rings inside and squirt in just a bit of Fox Gold oil
>suddenly becomes as responsive and comfy as the Fox Factory 32 RLC next to it
It still brake dives like an Olympian, the lockout stopped working ages ago and I'm still not confident enough to point it down jumps/drops over 6 feet, but I didn't expect an improvement like this, felt humbling that the old Suntour'd Avalanche handled nearly as well as the Santa Cruz Nickel I usually take out, a different experience but just as pleasant, went through shitty roots, hastily half-assed plywood bridges, questionably maintained ridges in the path and a few feet of air and didn't murder me or even seize once.
>>
>>105288
Funny how the number one benefit of coil shocks fully transfers down to the absolute bottom end. I mean it’s just stanchions bushings and a spring, but still, people pay good money to get that buttery super-active suspension response (but with a stronger chassis and damping that actually accomplishes something)
>>
My dirt jumper makes me really wish high end 26ers were still being built. It's so much fun how nimble they are and how hitting a bump sends you flying.
>>
>>105289
>damping
Even with all that improvement, the damper is still pretty dogshit yeah, though the rigid as a fucking rock GT frame paired with that means my knees are pretty sore, but maybe all that frame weight kept low kept me from flying over the bars all day.
>>105291
>26ers
They're not ideal for many things at all but today the 26ers(2.1 CST Critters) on the Avalanche handled far better than I expected and outpaced my buddy on a 29er(2.2 Ardent Races) Marlin 8 on all features/terrains except corners with deep, loose dust, though I had to run my tires at 28~ psi since they're still tubed and I definitely had to put in more grip than I would for my 27.5'd Nickel on the really bumpy declines. Probably is that I've just a lot of time and experience with this bike but now I've started thinking it could be far more capable than I thought if I could gather some money to tack on some wider 26er Arch's
>>
>>105298
After riding DH again for a year after not riding since 2010, I decided to try out my old 2008 enduro bike for a run or two and immediately set a #9 record time on a very popular blue trail, I’ve never beat that time with my 2019 bike or my 2021 bike

Maybe because the trail was built when 26” was the only option, maybe there was enough switchbacks and corners that modern bikes just weren’t ideal, maybe my 26 x 2.0” tires were slipping around so much more that I just rolled with it and let myself go 110% down the mountain, I don’t know, but the clock doesnt lie
>>
>>105291
The v3 banshee rune will run 26er wheels. You can also switch dropouts and run 27.5
>>
File: IMG_20220711_172932~2 (1).jpg (3.1 MB, 3000x4000)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Fucking adidas
>>
>>105355
I still have a pair of Impacts from 2012 before Adidas bought them. They're falling apart but I still like them better than my newer Freeriders.
>>
File: PXL_20220710_181103498.jpg (261 KB, 768x1020)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
I like my FiveTen TrailCross LTs but the first time I put them on, I pulled up on the tongue and ripped the loop with the logo on it. Aside from that, it shows no other signs of wear aside from all the dust.
Speaking of my shoes, when I was walking my bike up this section of the trail yesterday, I saw a lot of shoeprints from the same shoes and other FiveTens. It gave me a good chuckle. If I hadn't seem someone ride up it before, I wouldn't think it was possible but you need a lot of speed entering it and then power and technique to get you up the rest of it.
>>
SF Bay Area folks, JMP Enduro may get cancelled.
>>
>>105368
I saw. They have the permits but they may be revoked because riders can go above 15mph speed limit, which, I did not even know existed on the downhills. Now they want us to call in on a town hall meeting and beg to close the trails to pedestrians to eliminate the risk.
>>
>>105374
I assumed the trails would be closed to peds anyways. Bay Area really isn't that friendly to mtb.
>>
>>105382
Yeah it's fucked up that the birthplace of the sport and home to many top manufacturers is so cucked but it makes sense. Unlike the riders in other states, we have to share our trails with so much more other people. Mt. Tam, the mountain from "mountain" biking is only good for road cycling and gravel cycling. I'll ride my gravel bike there eventually though, sometimes a fella just wants to crush a climb and see some pretty sights.
>>
>>105384
Yeah I get annoyed seeing redneck ass places like Arkansas having awesome MTB infrastructure but then I have to remember that no one wants to move to that shithole so they have to try and attract people to it. Meanwhile dumbasses are moving here in droves and I wish they'd stop. Even SoCal has more interesting trail systems than we do up here.
>>
>>105391
>>105384
I can ride from my house to mt diablo and mtb is banned from all the single track shit. I ride it anyways but there is definitely enough bikers around to warrant mtb only trails.

You can get any trail to yourself in the East bay if you go when its above 85 degrees lol.
>>
>>105402
Heh, I like to go to JMP during the heatwaves because it's about 15F cooler up there than it is in Fremont and most of the walkies and riders stay home.
How are the Mt. Diablo trails? My friend keeps shilling Discovery Bay to me but the closest trails are on the east side of the mountain. I like Fremont because although there is no good singletrack here, there are several great places within 20 minutes of driving, and a lot more within an hour. I'm right in between the North Bay and Santa Cruz trails as well.
>>
>>105402
I ride there too. I can ride to there from Shell Ridge if I'm riding trails on that side. I like the singletrack on the Clayton side but I end up having to drive there from my place.
>>
>sick-ass black diamond jump trail built last year, super steep with humongous berms, feels like fucking SSX, local race held using that trail
>this year no sign of it whatsoever, removed from maps (not “closed” just gone), entrance was graded into a passing service road
I waited until the final chairlift, hiked around and found it, it hasn’t been maintained at all but it’s still there and the first 200ft look just fine to me aside from the pinecones everywhere. Am I ethically good to ride it? The never said the trail was closed and due to sorryass state the world is in right now none of the employees have been working long enough to know what the trail even is
>>
>>105416
Just ride it, what's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>105408
Damn I thought Discovery Bay was just a bunch of houses.

>>105416
I assume it's in a bikepark because you mentioned chairlift. Have you tried asking the park staff?
>>
>>105416
Its on park property, and seems to be in working order. To me it seems like this is the beginning of one of the "secret" trails on the mountain. Go ride it, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Unless the bike park likes to cut passes without warning.
>>
>>105451
It is just a bunch of houses. Trailforks shows the nearest trails being Black Diamond Mines, and Morgan Territory, but Morgan Territory is a 50 minute drive since it's not a direct route. It looks like there are flat dirt roads that run along the canals which would be fine for gravel cycling but it's all flat and they may be private.
Discovery Bay is cheap, but I'd rather move somewhere else with closer trails but then I'm away from friends and family. I guess I'll just have to work harder or marry a rich chinese girl who doesn't have a fetish for blue eyes.
>>
>>105463
>>105451
In 4 weeks all the employees will be replaced again. I bet the trail builder is the only person there who knows it exists

Also the park is running 11-7, but it’s technically open for pedal-up biking sunrise to sunset, I feel like that kinda removes all liability and should let me do whatever the hell I want, it’s “special use” forest service land if that means anything legally
>>
>>105464
Anything going East on Hwy 4 from Baypoint on is where poor people go to live so they can afford big houses with a massive downside of being forced to be dependent on their car and having to come shit up West Contra Costa County where they commute to for work and entertainment.
>>
>>105468
I think that means that it is forest service land and the resort has permission to have their chairlift there. I believe it means that the mountain itself is public property while only the lift is private property. So you can bike to the top and ride down even without a pass. It should be good to go ride. Any other anons correct me if I am wrong
>>
>heavy rain for weeks
>every pause is on weekdays when i am working and it's dark by the time i get home, trails are too wet anyway
>finally some good days for mtb
>crash in a really lame spot and hit my head only 10 minutes into my first ride
>concussion
>have to take a week off work and riding
>rain for weeks again
>one nice weekend
>get the flu
it feels like i've been stuck inside or on the road bike for months :(
>>
>>105523
Anon at this point just go to the dh park on weekends and bring mud tires. You will have much more fun.
>>
oh fuck, medium EVIL Wreckoning frames just landed in stock. I'm very tempted to buy one now since there is no ETA on Insurgent frames. As much as I love my current EVIL, I feel like I should also be sampling bikes from other manufacturers like a Deviate Claymore, Forbidden Dreadnought, Transition Spire, or Revel Rail 29. I've seen a lot of people say the Wreckoning feels like a Following, but bigger, which is a pro and a con since I already have a Following and love it.
>>
>>105615
For me it's the Chamois Hagar.
>>
>>105615
Everyone says they want to try different brands but nobody ever buys a BMC
>>
>>105617
I don't think I've seen a BMC mountain bike where I live. I've seen people on the roadbikes around here though.
>>
>>105617
I've actually interested in the SCOR 4060LT(SCOR is BMC's cool MTB spin-off) but it uses a pressfit BB and I don't want to buy or make a bearing press when I already have a tool for threaded BBs. Yeah I know that's a stupid reason. The neat things are that it uses a SRAM UDH, it's ready out of the box to set up as a mullet without messing up the frame geometry so no Ziggy Link like Forbidden, and I can order it without a shock so I can put in my own choice.
I wrote this post 3 times, first time I wrote up a bunch of excuses for why I won't get one but then as I read the product page, I ended up convincing myself that maybe I should get one.

alright, maybe I will consider building a SCOR, the bike doesn't give me a boner like EVIL does but I recognize it as an excellent choice.
>>
>>105523
Sounds like you live in Sydney dude.
>>
>>105617
Bmc does not make an Enduro or downhill bike so why would I buy one when I only ride Enduro/downhill? If I buy a dh bike I would look for either a good deal or get a nice banshee legend since it has literally every feature I would want in a bike. I think a bianchi xc bike would be cool though.
>>
>>105104
Wise man, I also do titles on eventful stuff like when I meet someone, ride in snow or its rainy but most of times I just put the date. Or stuff like this
>>
>>105675
I crashed into an older lady today and it was 100% my fault and I was too scared to mention it unless she happens to be a part of the one super-generic local strava group I’ve ever joined
Left that encounter realizing how irresponsible underbiking is, I would’ve absolutely braked in time if I wasn’t on a rigid steel frame with 40mm tires, that shit flies in the spring but not moon-dust summer
>>
>>105668
BMC does make enduros but not under the name BMC, they do it under the name SCOR
My friend had an entry level Bianchi XC bike, it was good for an entry level xc hardtail. I wish Italian manufacturers would make mountain bikes so they could bring over that SOVL and PASSIONE that makes their bikes so fun to ride. I have an italian motorcycle and italian gravel bike and they're so much more fun than other bikes in a way that can't be quantified or explained. Wilier does make mountain bikes but they're entry level hardtails, eMTBs, and very high end XC race bikes.
>>
>>105667
wollongong, but close enough
also just found out it's actually covid :(
>>
>>105723
That sucks, I just had it. I'm fully vaccinated so I got over it quickly with no lasting effects. It was just one shitty night for me, then I was really tired and sore the next 2 days, then I spent the next week taking it easy and coughing out phlegm. Doctors recommend returning to light exercise at least 2 weeks after the fever dies down but I was back to doing normal rides before the 2 weeks.
>>
>>105280
Good on you anon. The temperatures must not have helped during that time of day, right?
>>
just moved from Ontario to BC, now living surrounded by mountains. Looking for a top quality intermediate trail bike to replace my old Kona. Just starting to mountain bike seriously and not looking to kill my bank account. I wanted the Calibre Triple B but it's not available anywhere. Any suggestions on a bike of this quality around the same price? Not really looking to spend more than 2500-3000 CAD.
>>
>>105758
It was hotter when I left at around 2pm but I would describe it as a warm day. It's a thick forest so I was barely exposed to the sun. When I was packing my stuff up, I took one gulp of water and then my hydration pack was empty. El Corte de Madera is always a hard climb no matter what the weather is.
I have now ridden Manzanita trail enough times to have the difficult parts memorized so now I'm ready to go balls out the next time I go there. I really recommend this park and this trail to people in the area but holy fuck, the climb out of there will make a man out of you. At least it's not Henry W. Coe State Park. Every rider I've talked to who has ridden there says it has the hardest climbs in the bay
>>
JMP Enduro is back on, boys.
>>
>>105776
Even though I'm not competing, that's good. I do so much of my riding there that I'm better at riding on blown out, dusty trails than I am trails that actually have grip.
I'll be riding there today at around 5. I haven't ridden there in over a month
>>
>>105769
siskiu t8, a bit over 3000 but you won't find any full sus trail (new) near the quality for the price point
>>
>>104252
ah mate plenty good places to take a DH here, adventure park in CHCH is the obvious choice youre pretty much under-biked on an enduro rig there.
Nelson has some epic spots if you arrange a few days of shuttles in advance - the Gorge, Cable Bay, Fringe Hill all have near or over 1000m descent each run and no shortage of grade 5+
>>
>>104483
do it. if you think youll enjoy it you probably will the only thing that might hold you back is base fitness for getting up the hills in the first place but you could start working on that today, literally now get off t'internet and go for a jog.

Ive never really been into fitness but since starting mtb at 30yr two years ago ive never been more motivated to get stronger and healthier because all of that equals longer rides and more fun on the bike.
>>
>>104485
eh yeah but if going for a rental make sure they take the time to get it set up comfortable to you, suspension pressure, brake lever angle & position, handlebar angle/height, saddle height, tyre pressure etc.

these are all things that took me a while to dial in on my own bike when i started out
>>
File: PXL_20220715_012527945.jpg (1.01 MB, 2040x1536)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Good day of riding except for the damn loose dog on Cinderella. I hate that these damn walkies ignore all the "keep dogs on leash at all times" signs then shit up the park by leaving "Lost Dog" fliers all over the place which make me feel bad because I sympathize with them as a dog keeper.
Both my friends flaked on me today so I ended up riding with two guys I met on the trail and they were so damn high they forgot I was riding with them and kept inviting me to ride with them. I was really worried when the one that was too high almost fucking rode off the trail into a steep ravine. I couldn't ride these trails if I was drunk, I'm going to crash and get hurt. Drunk riding is for road and easy gravel trails.
>>
>>105815
>when they leave the dog shit in bags right in the middle of the trail
>>
>>105823
Whoever invented “compostable dog bags” should be responsible for all the shits that were picked off the ground, put into a bag, and then immediately set back down
>>
>>105751
pretty much the same for me, i'm also fully vaxxed. my worst day was sunday and every time i tried riding since my lungs took a real beating. did manage to get a good amount in today though. got a new thomson seatpost for my rigid karate monkey and i feel pretty good about it :)
>>
Previous model race face atlas pedals are $70 on rei's website. That's a pretty good deal, I'm not getting any but I figured one of you might want some.

https://www.rei.com/product/100427/race-face-atlas-platform-pedals
>>
>>105850
Thanks, those will make good replacements for my Oneup alloys if I prematurely destroy them
>>
just pulled the trigger on a Wreckoning V3 frame. RIP my wallet and free space. I don't even know where I'm going to stick the box.
>>
>>105883
kek I'm waiting on delivery of a Forbidden Druid frame. I have most of my parts already. I was about to buy another car but wife said no more cars. I bought a new bike instead. I don't even have space for it right now.
>>
I’m about to get my fifth $3000 bike and nobody is there to stop me, virginity rocks
>>
>>105892
Not sure if you're trying to flex but onto my 10th bike lel. Wife is tired of having 4 cars one of which is an ongoing track car. Nothing wrong if you're a virgin. As long as you're not driven to simp for e-girls or shoot people then you're completely fine despite whatever failed normies on 4chan tell you.
>>
File: p4pb22730006.jpg (180 KB, 800x533)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>105892
Sell 2 of those and buy an UNNO Burn
>>
>>105899
>that low standover
>>
File: bikechad.jpg (381 KB, 500x699)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>105884
I take it you're the homie with the Offering? I guess that's why you're selling it. I rode a Druid with a Push ElevenSix and it's a pretty sick bike but the shock creaked a ton. The owner said they fixed it with the newer models. I was considering getting a Dreadnought but it didn't seem like as good a choice as the Wreckoning for what I want to do.

I just have an RS Zeb Ultimate 170mm 29" fork, a WTB Silverado saddle, an ENVE M7 carbon handlebar, and I ordered an e*13 LG1 carbon crankset a few days ago since they were 21% off. I told myself I wouldn't ever get carbon cranks because of all the pedal strikes I used to get but the price was too good.
I really want to get GX AXS again but it's so unnecessary, I may just buy x01 mechanical or XT or XTR if I can find the long cage models in stock just so I don't get tempted to spend $600 on it again
>>
>>105909
>I take it you're the homie with the Offering?
What?

I'm not really into that whole wireless shifting stuff. The only thing I should have to charge before my bike ride is my phone and my Garmin. That automatic shifting for Shimano motor e-bikes looks really cool though. If I was an e-biker then I would want that wireless automatic shifting to go with my e-assist.
>>
>>105913
My mistake, I thought you were the guy with the EVIL Offering.

Wireless shifting is cool but it's not really better. You're paying double for the convenience of a really fast and easy setup, never having to mess with cables and fiddling with cable tension to get it just right, and additional crash protection. I don't recommend it unless you really enjoy riding the types of parks where you have to shift constantly as you go into and out of technical climbs and chunky descents where being caught in the low gear could rip your RD out.
I never worry about the battery because it lasts a really long time, it charges very fast, and I always pack everything hours in advance and do checks to make sure I have everything before I leave. I always pack the battery and my Wahoo into my pocket so I can tap my pocket to be sure I have it before I set off. That being said, sometimes I do fuckup because I forgot my helmet on my last ride of 2021 and had to drive back home, so I could forget the battery or drop it while moving the gear to my car.
>>
>>105918
Damn I hate forgetting shit. I'm pretty good about checking my bike and my gear before driving off. If I'm hitting trails closer to home and pedaling the whole way I've forgotten my water bottle and had to turn around after a few miles.
>>
>>105892
>>105898
can u shred tho
>>
>>105927
Yeah. Wanna go shred then?
>>
>>105898
We all know the 90’s hardrocks dont count
>>
File: 1615322664362.jpg (1.74 MB, 2730x2048)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>105805
I do really want to check out that wairoa gorge, unfortunately I'm in the north island (wairarapa). I'd love to do a trip down south with all my bikes on the back of my van but my partner doesn't ride and she would pack a shit of I ditched her for multiple days in a row to go riding. Need to work out a trip with the boys. 4 of us all going down with 2-3 bikes each might be a bit by excessive.

Got out today on my the ebike to the trails overloading oking wainuiomata and the lower Hutt valley. Super boggy, because it's been raining all week. first time out with the angle headset and 170mm air shaft in the fork (was 150) and it is riding so good now. I think the plastic headset it had before might have been fucked too.
>>
>>106143
Clearly I can't take photos. The focus is mine, the Merida is my mates. It's a really good bike, desu I actually prefer it to my bike I just couldn't get one because there was no stock anywhere
>>
File: 1657762714544.jpg (47 KB, 720x719)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
So I remebered there's a sale so I went shopping for a bew rear brake as mine mt520 is kill. MT5s or Saints? Mt5s pair(I think but too good to be true) are 80€ and saint rear is 180€. I was going to get an XT mt8120 but then I saw tye maguras mt5s AND THEN the saint at the same price. But whats the difference between XTRs and Saints.

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11919-freins-complets/P-233272-magura_front_rear_mt5_disc_brake
>>
>>106158
Jesus fuck and on other website there's mt7s at 150€
>>
>>106159
Saint is at 170€ here
>>
>>106159
They are the mt7s pro.

Wtf do I buy? (((They))) are tempting me to consoom, and I will but I cam't decide
>>
Shimano has far easier bleeding and I have all the tools. I still need to buy an adaptor and new rotor as my 180mm wobbles and I'll go 200mm

So MT7 or SAINT?
150-170€
>>
Went for saint, saw magura is made by g*rmans
>>
>>106172
Weeb.
>>
I found hayes dominion a4s for the same price as saints. Wat do?
>>
>>106244
Get them. I have them on my bike and I will only own Hayes Dominions A4s from now on. The brake bleed is piss easy, they have a lot of adjustability, they're durable, they look cool, they're powerful and they can grab instantly if you set them up that way, the modulation is excellent, I've ridden down some long descents with a lot of peds where I had to ride the brakes down the whole way and they didn't fade or cook at all.
The downsides are that if you want to change out the brake pads, you have to pull them out from the bottom so the brake caliper or wheel has to come off. I've also seen a complaint by a guy who needed to replace a small part and Hayes refused to sell it to him.
They use DOT brake fluid, just don't get it on your bike and wipe it off if you do
>>
>>106143
whenever Ive gone chch Ive flown which is real easy, same with rotorua and once to nelson, otherwise ferry then roadtrip to nelson. but yeah if you want to get a good couple days its gotta be a dedicated trip with other riders for suuure.

wainui is hectic in the wet huh, super slippy clay im wellington in wellington and do 95% of my riding here so I know all about that lol

Mt Vic is probably the only really reliable spot in the wet season, pine forest so sandy soil that drains easy and facing the prevailing wind so dries out from that too. actually a lot of makara is still good in the wet but polhill, wainui, belmont all get super slick.

170mm must be a pretty hefty upgrade from 150, i know i felt a huge different going from pikes to my 36s
>>
>>106290
Yeah there was a lot of fucking about deciding between 160 and 170. Slackening the head angle did drop the front of the bike a little, so the longer fork brought it back up and then some.

I have only ridden Mt Vic once recently, in the rain. I didn't like how slick the roots all were and got kinda lost on the way down. There's a club ride (wairarapa club) going over to Mt Vic at the end of the month I think il go to, they are a bunch of old women and guaranteed to get lost and not know where any of the trails are either so I may just head over to mapuia or makara instead.
>>
> cleaning out closet
> toss out some shit
> still nowhere near enough room to keep a frame
> not even if I get rid of my Bionicle collection
I hope this frame comes wrapped in bubblewrap because the box is definitely not fitting anywhere
>>
>>106394
You hang your spare frames from hooks on the wall
>>
>>106395
That could work if I attach it to a loop and hang it in my closet with the shirts
>>
just bought a ~6k USD e-bike, full suspension.

What are the best mods/tweaks/preventative protection i can apply to my bike to keep it in good shape?

Opinions on cleaning, is IPA a good substance to use on surfaces & shocks for cleaning? How do i treat surfaces after cleaning, silicon spray?

Oil or liquid wax or hot waxing on chain?

Bike is for commuting as well as for fun on weekends.
>>
File: PXL_20220718_200223322.jpg (3.23 MB, 4080x3072)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB JPG
Just got my Wreckoning V3 in the mail and I tied a belt through the headtube and hung it in my closet. OneUp and PNW droppers are in stock so I may as well bite the bullet now and order one. I've had both, they're both great, so this is hard. I've only ever used PNW loam droppers and they're amazing, is there any reason I should get a wolftooth instead or something by another brand?

>>106409
Get ISC Racer tape and apply it to all the parts of the frame where it would come in contact with anything such as cables(ESPECIALLY where the brake cable rubs up on the headtube), bags, tubes, a bike rack, zip ties, fenders, etc.
For washing, I use Muc-Off bike wash since it's gentle on components and it's good at getting the dirt off before I even scrub it. On suspension components, I use WPL Forkboost fork seal lubricant every few rides to clean the dirt off the seals.
Everyone has their preferred chain lube they swear by, I prefer Muc-Off since it's biodegradable, performs well, and it's simple to apply, but what I really recommend is a chain cleaning tool like Pedro's Chain Pig or the Park Tool Chain Scrubber. It makes cleaning so much easier and faster, and it's better at cleaning the chain than using a brush or rags with a degreaser.
>>
>>106413
Meant I've only ever used PNW Loam Levers for the dropper lever
>>
>>106409
Keep the chain lubed and disassemble the frame and wash it every year or two. Wipe the crud off of fork and dropper stanchions and keep up on fork services and there should be no need to use any “fork fluids”. And yeah, frame protection tape where you might get paint chips or cable rub (other guys right, cable rub is shockingly damaging)

You’re gonna get made fun of if you commute with a spotlessly clean $6000 full suspension ebike, it’s designed to tumble down cliffs
>>
>>106409
Don't use iso or silicon spray. Iso is too harsh and it'll eventually take the shine off the paint. And silicone spray will just end up on the brake rotors and fuck them.

Just use regular car wash w/warm water to wash the frame. Brush it down with a soft brush and wash it off with a low pressure hose. Don't ever use a waterblaster/power washer on it. And even be careful with some of the harsher jets you'll get from your garden hose, don't point them at the bottom bracket or wheel hubs or you'll fuck those too.
>>
>>106409
Mods:
- a wolftooth or similar dropper lever.
- DSD Runt cartridge for the fork.
- tyre inserts, I rate Gnarly from CrawftWorx.
- good tubeless valves, I rate eThirteen.

Cleaning:
- Clean with what you have. Car wash is fine if you don't want to pay ridicously money for bike specific stuff. That being said, the pink stuff from MuchOff is amazing.
- Silicon spray if you want the bike to look extra nice.

Lube:
- of all the lubes I have tried MucOff's C3 ceramic lube is the best. Grab a bottle of dry and wet lube and use as the conditions require.
>>
>>106497
> - tyre inserts, I rate Gnarly from CrawftWorx.

How could I forget this. Either go tubeless, get tire inserts, or both. Tire malfunctions are the only reasons I was ever late to work. I've only had two punctures outside of commuting, I get several of them every month while commuting, my tire liners had so many dents in them from thorns attempting to go through it looked like they came wrinkly from the factory. The funny thing is that I still ride through that route for my fun rides and I get nothing.
>>
>estimated sweat loss: 3150ml
>>
>>106502
>implying tire inserts will prevent punctures from thorns and other shit
Kek. Just go tubeless
>>106409
>chain
You can use wd 40, it cleans and protects it
>tire
Go tubeless
>suspension
For the fork, use some sort of wraps like picrel to protect it from rocks and dust hitting you expensie kashima(I assume its this) coating. You can also apply suspension oil after everyride, finishline has a good one https://youtu.be/nYBJrkGIS_4
>apply some sort of wax lr silicon spray after cleaning or ride. Put wraps or stickers as very high temperatures can soften the glue that bonds the tubes together. consequently, the tubes may move if you ride your bike soon after it has heated in strong direct sunlight. the movement is small but addative over time if repeatedly exposed - leading to failure, assuming its carbon
>brakes
You can apply wd40 on the calliper to keep it clean and degrease it as it will leak over time
>washing
When you wash it, do a mix of water, soap, brake cleaner and bleach. 50% water and equal parts of soap/brake cleaner/bleach.
>>
>>106522
>imagine the wear on tires
I suffer thinking of my tires when I ride 30 min in hot pavement to reach the trail and in the way back.
>>
>>106554
some tire inserts do prevent flats but I recommended them because if he does get one of those really bad punctures that doesn't seal and his bead comes off, he can still roll on them and get to work on time instead of having to walk the rest of the way or spend a few minutes sticking a tube in there. I'm assuming he'll be riding on the street where a piece of glass can slash his tire or he can get a fat puncture that can rip into the rim tape if he runs over a screw
>>
>>106554
Nah tubeless is shit

>Impossible to get the tire on
>Sealant sprays all over the place
>Cant repair as soon as you hit a rock garden
>Expensive as shit

Inserts are better. Take my advice or say goodbye to your tires
>>
>>106409
Like another anon said put some heli tape or frame protection where the cables rub. I have had cables rub down to bare metal and into the aluminum on another bike of mine. For mods I would get odi 2 clamp lock on grips with some ODI style bar ends. Further up I posted a link to REI for $70 race face atlas pedals they are top of the line and usually go for $180 that would be a good upgrade. But composite pedals are nearly just as good for cheaper and don't have the finish scrape off.
>>
>>106554
What are you on anon? Why would you use wd40 to clean and lube your chain and to "clean" your brake caliper. It's going to get on his rotor/pads.
>>
>be in facebook groups for local mountain bikers
>it's facebook so most of us are in our late 20's and up
>many adults can't figure out how to bunnyhop without clipless pedals
Did none of these guys grow up cruising the neighborhood on BMX bikes with their friends? I remember figuring it one afternoon with my friends when I was like 13 in the mid nineties. We had no youtube to find tutorials.
>>
>>106624
90% of mountain bikers are not very skilled, And can't ride anything harder than a blue. What are you expecting. Go to a popular trailhead see what trails people actually ride. Its the blue and green trails.
>>
>>106634
It's just weird. I knew a bunch of guys who were BMX'ers. Dirtjumping, skateparks, street riding, etc. They were urban types. They grew up to get into fixies and alley cat races. It's a shame they didn't get into mtb.
>>
>>106615
>Impossible to get the tire on
Thats on the tire, not tubeless
>Sealant sprays all over the place
Seat tire before putting sealant, sealant goes at the end
>cant repair as soon as it hits rock garden
It does unless the slash it quite big, at this point the ride is ruined, and inserts will only allow you to make it home
>Expensive as shit
Lmao what? How is it expensive? 1L which is enough for several tires is at most 20€, beyond that and you are getting scammed
>>106620
If someone managed to sell this guy an Emtb for commuting I might aswell give him retarded ideas
>>
>>106554
Is this a joke?

I swear, just because you can set up a derailleur and know a bit about bike geo doesn't mean you are the be-all end-all of bike mechanics and that your witches concoction of solvents and detergents is going to do any good for the finish on anybodies bike.
>>
>>106634
This is true. And the worst is that many bike park cater to them, I was looking to go to LesGets but the whole park was full of manicured flow trails. Blue, RED flow trails everywhere. The only trail worth riding in that whole damn place is FREERIDE DU CANYON https://youtu.be/8fsmPiZ4VwQ.
Many parks I looked forward to go are like this, its pretty shit. They all cater to the bongs norf FC riders who have never seen a trail with more than 100m of descent. Alpe d'Huez(east part) shit, Les 2 Alpes shit gone like that. At least there are some good parks that have many tech singletrack trails. Shit parks just label trails depending on the amount of jumps like that one on the walmart town
>>
>>106655
Someone sold that anon an emtb for commuting, I'm curious on how retarded he can be
>>
>>106663
why is an emtb bad for commuting + some leisure driving every now and then?
>>
>>106667
It's not, so long as you actually use it.

So many reign E+1s or turbo levos coming up for sale on marketplace at the moment done <100km with descriptions like "I bought this to ride to work but it's not for me" and they have been sitting on these $10k+ ebikes for 9 months not even using them, when people actually looking to buy these bikes to use as mountain bikes are getting told "none in stock in the whole country, next shipment in March is already sold out so you will have to pre-order one now for August". That fucks me off. But if you ARE going to ride the bike, good on you - fill ya boots.
>>
File: bikebaby03.jpg (1.05 MB, 2048x1152)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Feels good to get better at riding. I've been taking new, sketchier lines through my trails and taking the old ones faster. I did feel my DHF/DHR tires drifting through a fast and rocky section. It could have been marbles but I was going too fast to tell.
>>106724
There are so many high end eMTBs with under 50 miles going up for sale in SF Bay. It's ridiculous that these guys are so pathetically weak willed that even with a motor doing the heavy lifting, it's still too much for them. The funny thing is that there is a local normie facebook group for mountain bikes called Bay Area Mountain Bikers and every week some boomer writes an essay about how his feelings are hurt because some salty guys don't consider him a real mountain biker because he's on an e-bike.
The guys I really feel bad for(not really, breeders btfo) are the ones who bought their wives decent MTBs and then sell them after only one ride because they weren't into it. You know those guys must have gotten so much shit about how they don't spend enough time together, and the wife insisted that they would get into it together and be one of those couples who travels the country in a van hitting up all the parks and vlogging about it. Then they go on one ride, don't understand how gears work at all so they're always in the wrong gear, go OTB, actually cry from the pain, and then that's it.
>>
>>106661
Exactly, the good MTB trails tend to be old logging roads, hiking trails, or just something that a mountain biker built and was eventually legitimized. The problem near me is that all the cool features get torn down. The only features that stay are the ones that look physically impossible to a random hiker. Any gap over 20 feet and they can't comprehend that its a jump, so it gets to stay.
>>
>>106768
Every time someone tries discussing bootleg trails it's always some Mexican. It's like they can't read the rules. At least don't use the real trail names.
>>
>>106768
>and the wife insisted that they would get into it together and be one of those couples who travels the country in a van hitting up all the parks and vlogging about it. Then they go on one ride, don't understand how gears work at all so they're always in the wrong gear, go OTB, actually cry from the pain, and then that's it.

Have you been watching me or something?
>>
File: PXL_20220717_143455538.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x2268)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Still buzzing from the epic trails of last weekend
>>
>>106661
Fucking christ you don't go to les gets for the listed trails you go there for the secrets if at all. That trail you posted isn't even rideable anymore since they built some weird art thing at the bottom.
Les Gets is blown 24/7 because it's where touring companies take the joeys and kiddies.

Lmao'ing that you're looking at PDS and complaining that one of the many possible bike parks to go to there has too many blues and reds. If you're in PDS and don't like flow there's other options like Champery, pleney and morgins and chatel.

>My local reds are boring and my blacks only have 2ft drops so these reds must also be shit
Most of the grading there is at least 1 below what it would be in the UK.

>>106774
> good MTB trails tend to be old logging roads, hiking trails
>waaah muh 20ft gaps
tell me you can't ride without telling me you can't ride
Fuckin state of /xs
>>
>>106784
Yes

When you hear twigs snapping or bushes rustling. It's rarely ever a wild animal.
>>
Where my bay niggas at
>>
>>106870
Working from home. Riding some east bay stuff after work.
>>
File: PXL_20220129_183030483.jpg (1.14 MB, 2040x1536)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>106870
I was at JMP yesterday. Hit a root at very low speed on the connector between 15 Second trail and Cinderella which almost knocked me off the bike and I almost did the splits. I was too distracted with the conversation I was having with my riding buddy since we were talking about classic conspiracy theories(government sanctioned psychics). I'm at the gym mondays and wednesdays but I'm free to ride after 4 the other weekdays.
>>
>>106878
>>106884
Imagine having jobs
>>
>>106946
you don't know how salty it makes me that there are people in my regional facebook groups that are always riding during wagie hours.
>>
>>106667
Mtbs require a lot more maintenance than care than commuting bikes, think of f1 cars for commuting. Tires will cause alot of drag. Unnecessary suspension. And assuming you live in a city, you'll get sand nigs, niggs, crack/meth heads stealing bikes
>>
>>107019
Literally me
>>
Went trail riding at night for the first time, saw a bunny as right as I started and was terrified of wildlife for the rest of the ride. Luckily it was all little mice bros, owls eating little mice bros, and big black cicada-looking things standing still all over the place
>>
File: PXL_20220107_014647140.jpg (341 KB, 2040x1536)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>107073
Night riding is really fun but I can only handle a certain amount of it by myself before the spook level reaches critical and I have to bail. I know it's just animals out there but the darkness just makes me paranoid since it activates the primal survival instinct. There was a time I was mountain biking and right before I hit a jump(this is the first jump on Big Trees at JMP for my Bay Area homies), this small black humanoid figure flew right in front of me without making a sound. I asked my friend if he saw it too or am I just seeing things, he saw it too. When I think about it, this was probably an owl about to pounce on a rodent since it was completely silent and the silhouette matches up, but at the time, all me and my friend could think was "FUCK THIS, WE'RE OUT OF HERE"
Didn't stop me from coming back, you're damn right I'm riding in the winter.
>>
>>107073
>>107076
Don't get eaten by mountain lions.
>>
File: trail thing.png (3.35 MB, 2300x1067)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB PNG
>>106806
fuck you, I will fight you on this.

Old logging roads are far better compared to the "dedicated bike trails" that are being built currently.

Old logging roads don't need to have a maximum grade or follow IMBA standards, like having rolling grades, and no more than a 15% grade. All fun logging roads trails are 1000-3000 feet of downhill. Every single new trail that is built where I live sucks. They all are flat with a grade reversal every 30 feet for drainage, and look like pic related on the right.

The only good dedicated bike trails are at downhill parks, or travelling to where they don't build smooth 5 foot wide paths, with no jumps or other features.
>>
>>107082
A mountain lion did cross the path in front of my friend when he was finishing up a solo night ride over at Joaquin Miller Park, this is especially surprising because this park in the middle of a large neighborhood that sees a lot of traffic and it's not out in the sticks, it's still high up in the hills though. I think about that every time I'm riding at night.
My scariest encounter happened at around 7am when I went on a solo hike out in a place called Horseshoe Lake up in the mountains across the bay. There weren't any cars in the parking lot so it was really just me out there. Just as I get to the lake, I hear a loud roar which stops me dead in my tracks, I stop to think about whether or not I should turn back but I decide to keep going, a few steps later, I hear something very close to me and large run behind the bushes and crunch up branches. Then I turned around and climbed up the exposed part of the mountain instead.
Still a nice place to ride when it's not scary. Very easy trails so you can ride them on a gravel bike but you can take fun lines through there on a full squish. The best trail in the immediate vicinity is one called White Oak
>>
>>107101
Where do you live? Logging roads might be different between your guys regions.
>>
>>107101
North Carolina, most logging trails were made in the 1900-50's an have since grown over into singletrack.
>>
File: PXL_20220406_004130244.jpg (397 KB, 2040x1536)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>107132
That explains it, logging roads here in California are smooth since they're still used by service vehicles. I don't even know how the singletrack was formed.
>>
>>107135
That does explain it. Thanks for time cali-anon
>>
>>107101
Logging roads are for 8-axle semi trucks specifically built for crude mountain trail roads and freshly excavated dirt “roads”
They are soft and slippery as fuck, inconsistent elevation with wild grades and no rolling features and they’re covered in debris
>>
File: 1627589479710.gif (3.24 MB, 343x498)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB GIF
>Mfw I entered the rock garden with the "wrong" foot forward
Am I the only one like this?
>>
File: mtvic.jpg (470 KB, 1200x800)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>106342
hah, well hopefully its dried out a bit by then - some work has been done on the flowy start section but hasnt been opened yet.

That club ride might be a lil out of their depth by the sounds of it, the best trails on vic are all the short steep ones that drop down toward town (Damiens, Groms, Rock Drop, V&A, TTS) and theyre all pretty much G5.

Apart from that theres park bench which is newly refurbished G4, probably one of the easier tracks although has a big root fan and some tricky off camber soil sections.
and of course super D which runs the long way lenghtways down the hill which is probably what theyll be riding, its not one continuous trail it links Hippies, Hospital jumps, Bomb hole (very rooty) then traverses over to some fairly fast but tight stuff before some real smooth new berm section by the water tower, cross the road and go into trevor which although not steep has some fairly chunky roots and tight corners.

I love it - riding there regularly will only serve to improve your tech skills massively and incredible to have a spot like that almost right in the centre of town
>>
Damn I love shopping on Pinkbike. A lot of small bike shops use it as their online storefront so you can get stuff that's out of stock from the bigger retailers and for a lower price. I just saved $40 off MSRP on another set of Hayes Dominion A4 for my new build and I didn't pay any tax or shipping on it either so I saved even more.
I was a little tempted to get the higher end T4s which save 100 grams per set by using titanium but this isn't a weight weenie build and I didn't want to pay an extra $200
>>
>>107101
My trails resemble those of left with some parts like the right to rest the fingers a bit, then chunk to no end. 10/10 dented rims.
>>107230
>then you try to change it
>OTB
>>107252
Unfortunately PB is for NA only and bongs, nothing elsewhere
>>
question: can yall tell when a mtb used to ride bmx?
>>
>>107261
Nah, we cannot see the squish
>>
>>104109
Okay so I’m thinking about getting the Janis dragon. Are there any equivalents to that? My lbs keeps jerking me around about ordering one even though I literally have the cash.
>>
>>105815
I do this with edibles and when I hit the dh and am going fast I swear I see shit in the trees lol. Shits crazy I usually take about 700mg and drive to the trails the. About ten minutes in it starts hittin and I feel crazy.
>>
Guys I went riding at 6AM (sunrise was 6:24) and pumped my tires up to 25 and 23.5 PSI, by the time I finished my second ride at 9:30AM my tires are now 27.5 and 26 PSI on the same gauge. Normally I burp tires or lose pressure mysteriously during a ride, and I think it’s only gone up 15°F since then.
I knew heat increasing pressure was a thing, but holy shit I need to rethink things now
>>
>>107342
>I knew heat increasing pressure was a thing, but holy shit I need to rethink things now

I've heard road tires explode in the summer heat. It sounds like a gunshot since the pressure is supposed to be 60-90psi depending on the setup. I know it was the heat that caused this because the bike was still on the car.
>>
>>107261
excuse me, can yall tell when a mtb'er used to ride bmx

cuase i ride bmx and i was thinking of picking up mtb-ing to dab on no-style mtb-ers
>>
>>107396
Yeah, they keep complaining about how hard climbing and pedalling is, and you can hear them mutter "I wish I shelled out more for that Bullitt" beneath their raggedy breaths when they're 200ft into an 800 ft climb to the trailhead.
>>
Fat old dudes that rode bmx in the nineties brag about being fast on the downs while whining on the climbs. Then they end up to tired to shred the downs.
>>
>>107423
i have bad knees and i cant/wont do climbs. i guess thats why i dont mtb.
>>
>>107333
commencal meta ht, is around the same level, the new trek roscoe is around the same, I am sure kona has a honzo variant that matches what you are looking for. The Banshee paradox is upmarket, along with the cromag rootdown. I would look into a Dartmoor Hornet. I have a 2021 frame and it did everything I wanted it to including riding and clearing Southeast Style at Kanuga bike park. But on longer decents a hardtail will kill your hands. The only upgrade you need to ride a hardtail like a full squish are clipless pedals, a downhill rear rim, dh casing tire, and a rear tire insert. I hope this helps
>>107396
I can tell because they are 29 years+ haven't touched a bike in a year and then when I go to ride with them they can't actually get to the top, and if they do they do it while cursing their 32lb entry level trail bike they bought in 2013 with a maintenance plan of only replace it when it breaks. Meanwhile everybody else has no problem with their 40lb enduro bikes going up the shallow grade climbing trail.
>>
File: PXL_20220424_211626968.jpg (736 KB, 2040x1536)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
>>107451
Get a dirt jumper if you have a park near you. It's a good complement to a mountain bike since you can keep sessioning berms, jumps, and drops over and over. If you crash the bike and wreck it, so what? It's under $1000.

>>107439
These are simultaneously the number 1 customer for ebikes, and the guys who hate ebikes the most
>>
>>107454
aside from complaining about climbs, are they dabbing on the downhill runs? are the downhill runs full of jumps or is that just like whistler and some secret pro trails
>>
File: dirtjumps.jpg (121 KB, 600x833)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>107455
everyone keeps telling me to get one for bmx jumps.... oh jeeze... but i guess theyre better /shrug
>>
>>107459
they can't really ride downhill, or atleast the ones I rode with, because they don't know how to corner. I only rode down a blue, but they crashed 3 times and I had to go back to make sure they were okay. also for consitancy i am this anon >>107454
>>
File: rock gap.jpg (275 KB, 1000x666)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>107459
My friends who used to ride bmx and dj that also got into mountain biking are all very good at riding flow trails, but tend to struggle on technical sections.
>are the downhill runs full of jumps or is that just like whistler and some secret pro trails
Depends on the trail system. Most bike parks will have flow trails that specifically do not have technical sections, only big jumps and berms. Most of the more advanced technical trails will have jumps and bonus gaps if you ride fast enough
>>
>ride with former BMX'ers
>they get gassed too easily on climbs
>can't corner for shit
>can't handle chattery trails
>don't how how to approach roots or rock gardens
>can style on man made perfectly sculpted jumps
Before any nerds get mad about how there are pro downhillers that used to BMX, I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about millenials and gen x'ers who haven't done anything athletic since they quit BMX after growing up.
>>
BMX is a great base to have to get into MTB but the people who think they're going to be great at it right out of the gate because they rode BMX are like the same guys at the motorcycle training course who think they have it in the bag because they've been riding dirt bikes since they were kids. Then they fail the written and practical parts of the exam, then get a street bike a month later that they can't handle, they ride unlicensed, and in the first month, they crash without wearing proper gear doing a basic maneuver they needed to be able to perform to pass the riding exam.
Climbing is the best part of mountain biking once you develop the skills and stamina to go uphill. The best reason to develop downhill skills are so you can get to the start of the trail faster so you can do the climb again. BMX grugs are missing out
>>
thank you for the insight

-lazy bmxer
>>
>>107480
this is pretty much it. Climbing can be fun, but I like going downhill the most, which is why I developed the skills and stamina to go uphill. I still have a ways to go though. I can only climb 2000ft in an hour. which is good but I can only do it for about 2 hours before I slow down to around 1000 feet per hour, I think it might be nutrition related but idk.
I have a 60 mile 10,500 foot of climbing xc race this Sunday so wish me luck. Also a question for xc anons. Would going to go ride park the day before significantly hurt my performance on the day of?. This is my first XC race.
>>
Dirt biking before riding on the street is the best thing you can do for you safety, you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>107497
I didn't say dirt biking is bad for street biking, I said the opposite of that. I'm talking about the guys who think street riding is going to be the exact same thing as dirt biking so they get cocky and fail the exams because they didn't bother to learn anything, then crash because they didn't learn learn the fundamentals for street riding or they thought riding a 250cc lightweight dirt bike on a dirt track would immediately prepare them for riding an R1 or 900lb Harley in the street with road hazards and traffic. And yes, there were guys like this in my course.Dirt biking is a strong foundation because you already know how to ride a bike and handle it well, but there is more to street riding than being able to control the motorcycle well.
Likewise, mountain biking is more than just jumps, tricks, and riding at high speed. BMX won't prepare you for technical climbs and technical descents, but the balance and skills it teaches form a strong foundation and are far better than starting from nothing.
>>
>>105678
i cant help but chuckle a little every time i hear someone say "ridged steel 90s MTB."
>>
>>105899
nice dutch step-through
>>
File: smol_anon_had_fun.jpg (528 KB, 775x1600)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
South Texas has diddly squat barely anything for MTB trails and most of them are pretty trash, clogged with inexperienced newbies on questionable equipment they bought on impulse, not often maintained and in some cases plain built wrong or just boring but I finally took my lil' Nickel and tried the newish~ Doolittle trail and though it's pretty small I felt like saying "Finally, some good fucking singletrack". The dusty switchbacks are super fun and cloudy to flick and they actually bothered to throw in some clever features like using old concrete masses for jump ramps, passthroughs and berms through the only 2 loops it has of which actually have good fall line and direction and no constant claustrophobic 40 pound bushes of cacti rape surrounding you at all times, just plenty of brush and a bunch of 2 inch hackberry thorns if you fall in the certain wrong spots. No rock gardens but there were some exceptionally cluttered slopes that felt like one, I'm not sure why some parts of the loops are marked Orange when they're too tame to be called Freeride but other parts were appropriately marked Blue or Red, strange thing but the sign at the trailhead also does call itself for "Intermediate and Advanced riders only". I liked this trail but I'd still like to move back somewhere where there's more than one or two good trails and it's not nearing or over 100 degrees from Sunrise to Sunset. None of this yet mentioning my darling Nickel, it's technically outdated and even in it's day was such a niche and weird bike but I can't help but be in love with it still, it's always my one bike that JUST WERKS no matter where I take it and it's just lots of fun in spite of the Chris King memebearings all over it and the Fox Floats being more than capable components in their own right.
>>
>>107480
I've met a lot of dirtbikers who turned to mountain bikes after having too many serious injuries on the dirt bikes. The ones I've personally known rip. Taught me a good bit about cornering.

>>107512
Makes me think of /n/ memes.
>>
File: IMG_8972.png (36 KB, 214x240)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Had my first huge tumble of the season today
>be me
>riding double black tech downhill @ bike park
>been running this trail repeatedly this year
>have really good run down it, find all the right lines, going really fast, etc.
>rock gardens, drops and switchbacks are no problem
>riding through very last feature at the bottom
>it's a wide, flat, tall bermed left hand corner
>no rocks embedded in it
>built perfectly for the speed you take into it
>so easy a kid on one of those push bikes could do it
>riding through it
>lose my front wheel grip
>instantly go over the bars
>fuck up my brand new riding jersey
>break the visor off my full face
>my handlebars are somehow bent
>huge gash in my right arm from my lower-forearm to my elbow
>I'm not sure whether or not I separated my shoulder
>mfw
>>
>>107512
Uhm excuse me It’s a $2800 deluxe memecycle from 2022
>>
File: 1633143546363.png (73 KB, 300x300)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>107539
The marketing term is "gravel bike"
>>
File: 1657763329269.jpg (54 KB, 600x604)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>107480
>Climbing is the best part of mountain biking
>>
>>107538
Post arm
>>
>>107454
It did help. On my local trails the dh is not too long, there is a specialized alloy stump jumper I’m looking at in another store since it’s around the same price.
>>
File: PXL_20220723_144745121.jpg (881 KB, 2040x1536)
881 KB
881 KB JPG
I woke up at 5:30 to ride at JMP so I could catch the early morning fog and it was worth it. No hikers or riders on the trail, I saw 4 rabbits, and there was so much dew dripping off the leaves that it was raining a decent amount on some sections. It got my bike really dirty but it was due for a wash anyway. I never ride without eye protection but it was too foggy for goggles today, I ended up catching a wet leaf in the eye right as I entered a root garden and it almost made me eat shit. I did end up crashing really hard on Castle Park DH but my bike and I are fine, my Wahoo took the brunt of the impact. The start of that trail is really gnarly but it's not fun, I probably won't be riding it again.
>>
>>107633
>I never ride without eye protection
Why? Its not like a knee, elbow, collarbone, it can't be replaced. Where you ride(bay area) it must be dusty and have quite a lot of bugs
>>
>>107645
You misunderstood my post, I always ride with eye protection. You just listed most of the reasons why I ride with eye protection. Today the goggles were fogging up too much because of the mist and all the steam coming off my head, so I couldn't use them and rode without them so I could see. There were some branches at eye level I had to duck under, normally I just take them straight to the face.
>>
>>107633
What part of Castle Park? It gets sketchy at the bottom.

>>107645
ESL detected.
>>
>>107681
I crashed soon after the jank log drops since I was going too fast for my comfort and tried to slow down for a corner since I don't know what is coming up next. I don't think I rode it all the way to the bottom, when I got to the fork, I decided to go left which connects to the switchbacks at the end of Cindy which surprised me because in all the time I've ridden that trail, I had no idea there was a trail to the right.
I'm not a fan of fast, straight, steep trails like this, I like turns, chunk, and lots of line choice to make repeat rides feel new
>>
>>107681
>ESL detected
Si. use googles
>>
>>107777
Yeah that's a weird trail. I still find it fun just to have some variation when I go there since I'm usually just lapping Cindy and Chappy. There are a few narrower trails to play on but I usually wait until it's a little later when there are less people in the park since bikes aren't allowed on those particular trails.
>>
>>107809
I don't mind looping the same trails over and over there, every park I visit gets compared to JMP anyway. I still have a lot of fun on Big Trees. I can always find a new lines on that trail, I'm usually Strava's local legend on that route because I tend to ride it at least twice when I'm there. Same with Palos Colorados, I have a lot of fun on that whenever I'm there. I feel like everyone who goes to JMP only goes there for Cindy and Chappy because they're the gnarliest trails there which is too bad because Big Trees, Palos Colorados, the downhill part of Westridge, Steps and Stone, the pump track, Bishop's Walk, some parts of Sinawik, and 15 Second Trail(now renamed to Bayview) are all really fun.
I'm probably going back to JMP on tuesday. I would do another early morning ride there on saturday but I'll be in Half Moon Bay for a big gravel ride
>>
File: joker07.png (477 KB, 853x480)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>107543
It is, and I'm tired of pretending it's not.
>>
> friend wants to ride at JMP
> says he has another group of dudes who want to ride too
> hell yeah
> They want to start from Dunn Trail(fire road at the bottom of the park) and continuously climb that and the fire road network for at least an hour to get to the top of the park
> they don't want to try our usual route which is about 30 minutes of climbing and descending on fun green trails to get to the top of the park, we ride most of the main blue and black trails, and the ride ends with taking the flow trail back to the cars.
I don't know what the hell is up with these guys. Climbing is fun when it's on fun trails and you have to get over rocks and roots. They just want a long grind which I've done a few times and it's only enjoyable at night when it gets spooky. I'm down for long boring climbs, but when I'm on my gravel bike, I have a different mindset on mountain bikes. I just hope my friend manages to convince them to try our route or maybe wearing my road helmet for this will get me amped up for the grind.
>>
>that white dude on the facebook group who is getting mad at some Asian dude for for telling people at JMP to watch out for ghetto hoodrats
>that same white dude who keeps accusing everyone else of being racist for using terms like ghetto and hood
>>
File: mexicanwojak02.png (629 KB, 1182x730)
629 KB
629 KB PNG
>>107994
I think I know which one you're talking about. Luckily I'm obviously mexican with an obviously mexican name which makes these types cower in fear. I absolutely hate BAMBI so I have it hidden. I would leave it entirely but sometimes they have promo codes.
I've noticed that it's at the start of the summer when bike thefts ramp up, and it lasts for like a month then they lay low for the heat to die down. One of the thefts happened right in front of my friend's Tesla but the piece of shit harddrive was corrupted so he wasn't able to get any footage to help the victim out.
>>
>>107996
but damn, BAMBI does have a lot of hoes though.
>>
>>107997
Most of 'em are hella old. There was some teenage girl that kept talking about her Audi and hella old dudes were creepin' on her.

>>107996
Yeah I'm not sure if that dude is a troll or not. Sounds like a cuck 'cause I think he has black kids. Weird that he doesn't realize how many Mexicans there are in that group.
>>
>>108002
not that dude, but I am pretty sure that is the anon with the nice orange and blue evil. I am an east coast fag and of the sizeably large mexican population here not very many ride bikes. I only know about 5, and all of the other mexicans I see at the Downhill park travel from other places.
>>
>>108010
You are right, I am the anon with the orange and blue EVIL.
The weird thing is that there are a lot of mexican riders here, but I just never see them. There was one time there were 5 of them at a spot I was at and then I never saw any ever again. 95% of the riders I encounter are white or filipinos. I think it's because I wake up early to beat the crowds and you're not waking up a bean early on the weekend unless you're paying them or shaking them. One of the guys I regularly ride with is a Salvadoreño and I have to keep calling and texting him to wake up for weekend rides, and that's if he didn't get drunk the night before. I prefer to have a friend with me in case I get hurt, but if none come with me, then I'll just make a friend on the trail
>>
Any Arizona anons? I'm going to Litchfield Park in October for a business meeting and I'm planning to bring my mtb so I can ride the trails there. There are a shitload of trails nearby on Trailforks, which ones should I ride and avoid? Should I skip them entirely and go somewhere else since I'll already be in the state? Pirate Trails to the south looks like a promising place since it has a good mix of greens, blues, blacks, and reds so I'll be able to get a good gauge of how the difficulty is ranked there compared to how the trails in California are ranked.
>>
>>107988
The ride was fine. I keep on forgetting the climb isn't as long as boring as I remember it. There are some neat tech sections on sandstone and grueling climbs
>>
Damn I love being able to have a nice house in a nice neighborhood with many options to ride singletrack right from my front door. Any other fellow SF bay area anons know this awesome feel of not having to rely on your car to get trail access?
>>
>>109068
not an SF bay area anon here, sounds like the dream, I usually have to drive about an hour to go ride anything fun, that or I build a trail on the mountain behind my house.
>>
File: 1617517174050.jpg (68 KB, 658x901)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>109068
>Can ride to trails from home
I took for granted how great this is, and was retarded enough to think it would be worth it to move to spend less on living costs. Went from riding 3+ times a week on nice trails to riding only once a week on underwhelming trails that I have to drive at least half an hour to reach. Do not make the same mistake as me bros, it's not even close to worth it
>>
Looking for a full-face MTB helmet. Any recommendations?
>>
>>109071
It's pretty nice. Must be nice to have a mountain right behind the house. Why would you even drive anywhere when you can make your own trails then? To get to my mountain is maybe like 10 mile bike ride from home, like 4 miles to the trail head and like 6 miles through some hills until I can get to the climb up the mountain. I've been exploring and finding a lot of trails in those hills. Protip: if your LBS does group rides join a few and you might find some local goods. There are other trailheads about 4 miles from my house in different directions that either takes me up some nice ridges or to some more hills with some fun trails.

>>109124
You from the bay? Did you get memed into buying a mcmansion in Tracy or Mountain house?
>>
>>109068
Not really, I'm in Fremont so I'm right in between everything but I don't have to drive for more than 30 minutes to get to great trails or Lake Cunningham bike park. The location is also good because the coastal, North Bay, and Santa Cruz trails are all an hour away. Pleasanton-Sunol Ridge would be 15 minutes away if there wasn't always traffic on Niles Canyon. There is lots of great gravel and road right out my door and that's what I choose to ride most of the time. There is some lame singletrack at Dry Creek/Garin but riding that on a gravel bike makes it feel like a double black diamond on a mountain bike.

>>109157
IXS Trigger FF if you're not a downhill racer. It's lightweight, well ventilated, and feels like an open face, so it's great for every day trail rides, but it's not strong enough to protect you if you were competing in EWS and crashed into a tree.
>>
>>102997
What do you all do about chain stretch? Im not a poorfag and i dont go that hard on the trails but fuck spending money on supposed premium chains. Like who are you kidding i know its probably some taiwan kmc stuff.
>>
>>109163
Nice. I have the same commute time to Santa Cruz, north bay, and midpen as you. I guess I'm taking my situation for granted with having trail access in a rideable distance from home. There are people that are actually happy to live around pajeets and have to commute to their bike rides kek.
>>
File: myhome.png (659 KB, 640x804)
659 KB
659 KB PNG
>>109166
The pajeets aren't so bad when they're your neighbors and give you delicious curry and naan. I already smell like shit when I sweat from the regular stuff I eat so now I just sweat a different odor
>>
>>109124
>30 minute drive to trails
>once a week
I drive 30 minutes to trails 3-4 times a week, and additionally drive 3 hours to trails like twice a month in the summer
>>
>>109162
My local bike shop is an hour drive.
The reason I don't build my own trails is that they are a fuck ton of work. It takes me an hour just to bench 20 feet of trail. Also, behind my house it's very steep and I am not going to buy an excavator so all the trail I do is handcut.
All of it looks like pic related for steepness.
Pic related is also where I want to make a trail, but the rock roll in the background is a challenge because there is nowhere to stop afterwards. I can barely walk up and down let alone ride down it.
>>
File: IMG_20220731_163331883~2.jpg (1.49 MB, 1495x3888)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>109199
Forgot to include pic related
>>
File: IMG_20220731_160630378~2.jpg (3.07 MB, 2817x3186)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>109199
Rock roll pic, it's mostly covered with dirt right now but if I make it part of the trail all the dirt is going to get washed off.
>>
>>109196
Jesus that's no way to live.
>>
>>109202
Don’t forget the 30 minute drive to work and the 30 minute drive back 5 times a week
God bless america
>>
>>109228
I'm glad I don't commute anymore, I'm out the door as soon as I clock out. I actually wake up earlier on weekends to go ride than I do on weekdays for work.
>>
File: 1648404388922.jpg (50 KB, 960x960)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>109162
>You from the bay? Did you get memed into buying a mcmansion in Tracy or Mountain house?
Naw, just moochmaxxing in ontario (canada) for the last bit of my degree.
>>109196
>I drive 30 minutes to trails 3-4 times a week, and additionally drive 3 hours to trails like twice a month in the summer
Damn, that sounds pretty rough. You need to experience it to know how nice it is to be able to bike from your place to the trailhead in a few minutes. Driving to the trails was pretty much only for special occasions like going to the bike park, or multi-day trips to notorious mtb destinations.
>>
>>109250
>Damn, that sounds pretty rough. You need to experience it to know how nice it is to be able to bike from your place to the trailhead in a few minutes. Driving to the trails was pretty much only for special occasions like going to the bike park, or multi-day trips to notorious mtb destinations.
That's pretty normal in certain parts of the SF Bay Area for people to live in a big house even if it's in a city that's made up of sprawling residential areas and strip malls. I started mountain biking when I was younger so when I was looking to buy a house I was trying to find somewhere close to good jobs and close enough to trails that I can just ride to them.
>>
>>109280
>I was trying to find somewhere close to good jobs and close enough to trails that I can just ride to them.
I check trailforks before I check zillow. I was just contacted by a recruiter for a $130k-$160k/yr job I don't want to do so it looks like I would be making a lot more money when I leave my current job and move up, but it seems like the best places to live for riding lack in everything else.
>>
A chilly 82° tonight…
Also niterider is garbage, spend the extra cash and get a big dick light setup
>>
Also when I swapped tires before the night ride, I noticed the rim tape on my rear wheel looked like absolute shit. I was ready to seat the tire and call it a night but shockingly it held air, the whole ride too.
So if sealant gets under the rim tape and into the spoke holes, how likely is it that I’ll damage my coated aluminum nipples or the carbon rims?
Picture of my big dick light setup because pictures are fun
>>
>be boomer
>watch tutorials on how to bunnyhop but cant figure it out
>buy training devices to teach themselves to manual
>pay someone to teach you how to ride a trail
>buys cones to do practice cornering drills at the park instead of just riding a trail
>>
File: ebikers.jpg (234 KB, 1284x963)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>109674
> buy state of the art Specialized Turbo Levo for $15k
> use it a few times on flat unpaved trails with too many dogs and hikers and once at a park with real trails
> list it for sale with under 50 miles with the reason you don't have time to ride it even though you do nothing productive with your free time
> get mad and rant at people on the regional mtb facebook group when they say ebikers are lazy and aren't real riders
better yet
> be woman
> watch videos of women riders living the van life and travelling the continent shredding trails with their partners
> have dreams of living a life like that and vlogging from the van
> buy Juliana or make husband buy you an mtb
> ride it once
> don't understand how gears work, how hard climbing is for beginners, brake modulation, or body positioning, and don't understand anything you're being told about how to ride
> put it up for sale at a huge loss
> go to REI or North Face to buy premium hiking gear because you're a hiker now
OR
> be woman
> only ride once a month at the womens' group ride
> get absolutely spanked by the geriatric women who have been doing nothing but riding since they started working in their 20s

Check out this monstrosity I found in the Canyon group. This german boomer tried to show off his brand new Neuron:ON eMTB and we tried telling him that he's going to destroy his components if he keeps riding it like this without making some changes, and instead of saying "thanks for the advice", he just deleted his post.
Try to list everything wrong with it, I'll give you a hint, look at the moving parts.
But hey, at least he doesn't have a dork disc, wouldn't want people to think you're new to riding
>>
>>109674

>>109674
>buy training devices to teach themselves to manual
This always cracks me the fuck up. My zoomer daughters taught themselves how to manual and pump around just from watching me fuck around on a bmx bike.
>>
File: file.png (1.42 MB, 1596x1003)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>102997
3 years ago I tried to do something stupid and I went over the handlebars and hit the ground. Must've broken some ribs in the back because I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours at a time for a whole month. 3 years later I still feel sore but it's starting to slowly go away. I just roll over stuff now and don't do any jumps.

Got a Kona Process 153dl
>>
>>109683
>that bike
This is a worksafe board, anon. You know better.

> be woman
> only ride once a month at the womens' group ride
> get absolutely spanked by the geriatric women who have been doing nothing but riding since they started working in their 20s
Women riders are weird. Either they are noobs who will quit soon or they're pretty decent at riding. A lot of females I ride with will not ride alone. I cant tell if they are scared of being raped or they just want someone to chat with. I dont mind either way I guess cause they're usually qt and can shred.

>>109685
I don't get it, man. Most skills are pretty intuitive but maybe a lot of riders haven't been athletic most of their lives? My friends who stuck with mountain biking and got good had backgrounds in either school sports, skating, or bmx.
>>
>>109701
I'm not knocking women for preferring to ride in groups, there are plenty of men like that too, and they have good reason to worry about ride alone. But some of them will ONLY ride in groups and only do group rides so they spend barely any time riding so they're weak at every group ride and think it's always supposed to be that hard. So when I'm on the trails, I only encounter women riders when there is a group ride and the young women are always slow as shit, not in climbing shape, and always in the back, meanwhile the front of the group are women who are much older but are strong as hell because they've been riding multiple times per week, every week, since the 1980s. Something has to be called "class" or "boot camp" for them to come out of the house to do something social. It's too bad, riding gets more fun the more you do it and I don't know how they can stand to only ride on Swift or Peloton bikes, it's so fucking boring riding without moving.
>>
File: catcat.jpg (169 KB, 1222x916)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
worth moving from a fox x2 air to a dhx2 coil for a fat enduro bike lads? sick of the 2022 one constantly wearing seals
>>
File: 1658681540996246.jpg (100 KB, 717x510)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>109683
>that mudguard ziptied to the stanchions
>>
>>109764
Coil>air on rear
I took my shock for service after 2 years and they didn't find a single issue with it. The only problem is finding the correct spring. You need to remove the shock from frame and change coil.
>>109685
I can only do the english bunny hop, I used to be able to do the american one bit I can't now. I don't find manuals useful so never bothered
>>
>>109850
>The only problem is finding the correct spring. You need to remove the shock from frame and change coil.
My Wreckoning V3 comes with a RS super deluxe coil but the damn thing is a 350lb spring when I need 400lbs for my weight and riding(I like it firm). Most people just dump it and spend $1200 on a Push 11.6 or EXT Storia.
I watched a video on how to switch out the spring and it's stupid simple since you just remove the shock and twist the parts out with your barehands, but if this came with an air shock, I'd just have to put more air in the shock instead of going through all this and spending another $40 to get the right spring
>>
>>109844
Take a look at the dropper post. The first I noticed when I saw the image is that the front fender is on backwards and mounted too high
>>
See you fellas at Demo tomorrow at 8am
>>
File: IMG_20220806_010013627.jpg (3.01 MB, 3264x2448)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
8 hours and a trip to the bike shop later I swapped the rims on my bike, because when I built my wheels the first time I accidentally used not tubeless ready rims.
Old rims in pic related are 27.5 Halo SAS

I am going to bed, I may not ride tomorrow depending on the weather.
>>
File: PXL_20220806_170247262.jpg (1.01 MB, 2040x1536)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Fun ride at Demo today. I was the only one wearing knee and elbow pads in my group, and I was the only one who didn't crash.
>>
File: PXL_20220806_171912357.jpg (1.11 MB, 2040x1536)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
Found out today that a lift service bike park is opening next weekend in Twain Harte. That's great news because it's only 2 hours away from me, the next closest lift service bikes parks are 3 hours away and the one that's supposed to open an hour away in Gilroy just barely got approval and won't be built for a long time
>>
Starling Sturn or Santa Cruz V10?
>>
ok I went out and bought some mtn biking shoes and it feels like they help a lot. Like I'm more 'connected' to the chain on my bike.
My feet still slip here and there which makes me wonder if I should go clipless but I'll probably chill with the flats for a while so I can build up my confidence.
>>
>>109996
that is funky
>>
>>107517
>Makes me think of /n/ memes.
my thoughts exactly
>>
>>110028
It could be your pedals or how you're standing on them.
>>
File: PXL_20220729_203244543.jpg (166 KB, 964x1286)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>110046
This is what my pedals look like, should I get ones that 'grab' the shoes more?
When I stand on them I try to place the balls of my feet on the pedals.
>>
>>110074
Yeah, I would get ones with metal pins(you will hit your shins with them, and it will hurt).
The resin/composite Crankbrothers Stamp pedals are great if you're on a budget but I've read a lot of complaints that the spindle is too big so it prevents them from making full contact with the shoe but that has not been my experiences at all with them and I've used them on a mountain bike for bombing down rock gardens, and on a dirt jumper for jumps and slaloms. I haven't used the One Up composite pedals, but I use the alloy pedals and those are great so I don't expect the resin to be a downgrade. There are plenty of other great composite options, at this point, I'm only buying alloy for the bling factor
>>
>>110080
Interesting, thx for the info. My shop within riding distance has these for sale:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-pedals/platform-pedals/bontrager-line-elite-mtb-pedal-set/p/23423/

How would you compare the stamps vs the bontragers?
>>
>>110082
They should both be good pedals, it looks like those don't have a bump around the spindle so if you are one of those people who doesn't grip on the crankbros pedals, then you'll grip on these.
>>
>>110082
Those should be good.
>>
>>110037
V10 is pretty funky looking too
>>
File: 5245212.jpg (203 KB, 960x720)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
I broke my Walmart bike taking it off drops and over rocks my first time mountain biking and it barely made it back to the parking lot. I have little money and I want to get back at it. This bike is going for $150 used one town over from me. Should I jump on it?
>>
>>110180
That was probably $250 brand new, 15 years ago
>>
>>110180
Do you have a bike park near you? When I say bike park, I mean a place with a pump track and jump lines, not a regional park with walkers where you can ride a bike. If you do, I recommend you keep saving up and buy a dirt jumper, you can get a really good used one for under $1000. It'll have all the jumps and drops you crave and you won't have to climb as much and you can keep sessioning them. I have an $8000 mountain bike and I'm building another one for $9k, my $800 dirt jumper is just as fun(probably more fun when I'm in the zone) but serves a different niche
Also that bike you posted is just going to break, those aren't real mountain bikes. They're made for getting around on roads and the suspensions are for people who think they need a suspension fork to keep their wrists from shattering from riding on the road. I know you're itching to get back out there, but keep saving up to get something that can actually survive what you want to do. The Canyon Stoic is about $1200 new, but I believe you can find one used, or its competition, for under $1000. Lots of people are trying to get rid of their covid MTBs now that they can go out again so you won't have trouble finding a bike, but you're not getting anything good for $250 if they know what they have
>>
>>110206
>>110187
Thanks for the advice. I'll take my time and do more research before pulling the trigger. Still, a part of me wants to buy it anyway and absolutely thrash it.
>>
>>110217
Maybe don't put too much weight in the "you are thinking of buying X, but what you really need is Y so you should buy Z" advice. Go buy a mountain bike, a dirt jumper is a totally different kind of bike. Go buy yourself a hardtail with at minimum hydraulic disc brakes, 120mm of travel and 67 degree or less head angle. Should be able to get something like that for a bit less than $700 secondhand. Wheel size doesn't matter too much, though 29" will be a bit easier for a beginner.
>>
File: PXL_20220808_191906819.jpg (2.38 MB, 4032x3024)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
woooo I got some real pedals. Pretty wild to me that they just have goddamn screws sticking out that poke into the bottom of my shoe.
My feet are definitely not moving around anymore, to the point where I have to make sure I plant correctly the first time I put my foot down. I guess it sounds obvious but I'm so used to being able to slide my foot on the pedal.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.