[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 13 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: DOA6_Demo_Hitomi_C1.jpg (114 KB, 920x1080)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
why doesn't it exist
>>
Mma enthusiasts are gay and love to see men wearing boxers wrestling
The "what about women mma" argument doesnt work because women pro fighters are hard tomboys trannies or punks
>>
>>102430
Kudo, combat sambo, ARB (russian Army Hand-to-Hand Combat)
>>
>>102434
and also modern sport jiu-jitsu
>>
>>102430
>he doesn't watch Ganryujima
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzfDnoVp68
>>
>>102437
Isnt that org dead
>>
You're going to have to get more kinds of jacket wrestling styles into the common world before there's enough people who want to see it in MMA. I'd be willing to bet that most fight hardcore fans aren't really aware of it unless they're big fans of judo, let alone casual bar watcher guy.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 259x195)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>102430

It needs to be done in stages. I.e. mixed striking competitions led to kickboxing. Mixed grappling competitions led to submission wrestling. The combination led to MMA.

There's no unified gi striking competition, tho Karate Combat seems partly there. There's no unified gi grappling competition, Freestyle Judo is too small to be considered.

So at best you will get hybrid arts that try to combine aspects like Kudo or German Jiu Jitsu.
>>
>>102475
>There's no unified gi grappling competition
Any BJJ competition
>>
File: pull.jpg (49 KB, 720x483)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>102492

Do BJJ comps have rules similar to ADCC that give negative points for guard pulls, while rewarding takedowns and throws?
>>
>>102496
>Do BJJ comps have rules similar to ADCC that give negative points for guard pulls
I thought ADCC IS THAT ruleset that not gives you negative points for guard pull, but I'm not sure. My friend grappler told me that there is only one big organizations that allows guard pulls without penalties and I remembered that it is ADCC, but maybe I'm wrong
>>
>>102430
Combat Sambo was explicitly designed to combine striking and grappling in a gi in a format where you can run a bracket at a normal wrestling meet.
>>
>>102500

Exactly but ADCC is no-gi? So it's not a unified gi grappling comp..
>>
>>102530

True. But no one does it outside Russia. And it's considered it's own hybrid art like Kudo rather than a unified competition like MMA?
>>
>>102532
>unified competition like MMA
It is. It's basically sport for third division wrestlers and samboists and boxers who still want to compete. There is no specialized combat sambo schools for children for example (because it's not a sport where you can teach children from scratch), it's more like what you do after 18-20 years old having some base. I can prove this with combat sambo coach interview in which he says this and also that if combat samboists wants to improve punches he goes to boxing, if he wants to improve ground game he trains with grapplers etc but the interview in russian.

t. anon from Russia
>>
>>102568

Fair enough. Great sport. Sad we're probably not going to see much of it in the West now due to the current political situation.

IMHO Karate Combat opening up to Taekwondo competitors and being flexible in the term karate I.e. including Kempo practitioners; means its the closest to a unified full contact Gi striking competition in the West, since American full-contact Karate turned into American Kickboxing then died when Muay Thai destroyed them with low kicks then completely disappeared when MMA became popular.
>>
>>102532
There's no international interest for any form of gi mma, be it sambo or kudo, so it's kinda a moot point.

>>102568
Of the "gi mma" sports, FIAS runs combat sambo the most professionally imo.
>>
>>102601

It seems the opposite to me. Internationally wouldn't Eastern Europe, Russia, large swathes of Asia be interested in a gi based MMA competition, as opposed to the Western UFC model with its pro wrestling like characters?
>>
>>102629
while the “drama” might be a draw, thats; A not the entirety of mma’s draw, it also has a moreBoxerish “athlete” feel to it that draws in the more general sports audiences decently internationally, and B japs are pretty into pro wrestling style theatrics as well.

the gi’s biggest draw audience wise is a sense of “traditionalism” more then anything, especially in the east, so it doesnt quite mesh so well with a “new rules light thing”, outside of one offs like Pride.
>>
>>102629
I think the tactics and techniques of jacket wrestling are broadly more interesting, and adding striking makes for -dare I say- a more realistic contest for self-defense purposes, since people usually wear clothes.
>>
>>102430
I want to make Hitomi a mother!
>>
>>102650
I'd expect the other jacketed styles would be receptive towards something like what Bravo is attempting with combat bjj. Most of the mongol/irish/etc types tend to have a personality that would enjoy the pancrase style open palm/knee/shin techniques as openers to a throw.
>>
>>102689
>combat bjj

Interesting. I haven't had a chance to watch Combat BJJ yet. Does it have the negative points for guard pulls that ADCC submission wrestling does? As that's my biggest problem with competitive BJJ..
>>
>>102691
There's a one minute limit on remaining standing, which is easy enough to ignore from a wrestling standpoint. You can't even win on points, so guard pulling probably happens as an attack. You either sub, tko, or time out. There is an overtime, but I can't find the specifics of overtime win/loss. Strikes are only allowed when both are down, and down is either a knee or ass. So counter striking a guard pull is possible, but might feel awkward if you're a Couture style dirty boxing wrestler.
>>
3/4 of the the fights would be the ref could call time so they can fix thier pajamas.
>>
File: origin.jpg (27 KB, 476x634)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>103299

This. I fucking hate wearing a Gi. I understand it made sense before modern fabrics used in Rash guards and fight shorts were invented. But there's really no use for them now. Uncomfortable, pointless, unrealsitic, larping shite are Gi arts.
>>
>>103299
The sambo jacket does a good job of keeping the belt in place.
>>
>>102650
Yah, but a lot of people and a lot of places where t shirts, not thick cotten bath robes. I guess its illustrative of winter jackets in temperate to cold climates though.

Try throwing someone with a t-shirt. It doesnt work very well. Tends to just stretch out, tear, get taken off or on the offchance it might work 1/6th of the time.
>>
>>103299
>>103347
I wish there was a modernised combat clothing that better represents modern cloths, but dont get torn to shit in trainging. Maybe something like a fencing jacket. or a modified hoodie.
>>
>>103408
Datsusara has a generic "martial arts uniform" that's made from the same material as a gi, but in a more general pattern. There are some HEMA gear companies making hoodies for fencing use as well.
>>
>>103425
this looks like the loose cloths african american elderlies wear to seem more ethnic, but black instead of pastel colored.
>fencing hoody
?
>>
>>103347
gi introduces different friction and new levers
>>
>>103406
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJvtPTpd4A

Certainly the gi is traditional of a certain subset of East and Central Asian dress, but it was also meant to imitate things that people wore in daily life (and was durable enough to get years of training).

>>103408
A less elastic hoodie would be a good modern take on a jacket wrestling uniform in a world where people don't wear blazers and suits much anymore.
>>
>>103469
Yah, I specifically said in colder weather stuff its decent, but not so much with t-shirts and wifebeaters. It might work with some thicker collared shirts though. I know from backyard wrestling, most t shirts do not work well for Judo throws that utilize clothing holds instead of body holds. again, because they ter/stretch easily due to their light nature.

But yes, I do think a less elastic hoodie would work well. Especially seeing how double breasted outerwear with firm easily manipulatable breast holds (overcoats, blazers, etc) are no where near as popular as they once were. Id say its more likely to have a slip on hoody or a zippered jacket.
>>
File: NogivsGi.jpg (46 KB, 1024x550)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>103408

What's wrong with a rash guard and fight shorts?
>>
>>103474
With a t-shirt, I think it would look a lot like Georgian folk wrestling.
>>
>>103484
rash gaurds stretch with too much force and do not simulate most common attires. Not that rashgaurds are rare, just not as common as t shirts or jackets or sweatshirts.
>>103490
Maybe, But I also think that it might look like bar brawling (holding on to your opponents shirt with one hand for control and bludgeoning with the other.) SInce you can still control them, just not necissarily throw them in any which way (though in some ways). Think there were some writtings of this style of fighting in britian irland (the pub fight kinda look)
>>
File: download (1).gif (43 B, 1x1)
43 B
43 B GIF
>>103495

True but I think people overthink pub/bar fights/self defence. Most drunk ass dudes aren't going to be able to defend against a boxing combo followed by a Muay Thai combo followed by a double leg takedown followed by GnP or a basic submission.

Like they might be able to defend against one of those but not the combination so micromanaging what clothing you train against other than with your own comfort in mind seems kinda moot.
>>
>>103496
well, I wasnt necessarily referring to the situation of a drunk, but just generally someone with lighter upperwear. Humans grip strength is pretty good, so if somone doesn't want to let go of your shirt, its hard to stop them.
>>
>>103426
>>103426
https://www.woodenswords.com/SPES_HEMA_Hoodie_350N_p/spes-j.hoodie.htm

Hoodie made from the same fabric that protective fencing jackets are made.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.