[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Argue against this meme.
>>
It's a simple and practical claim but it's bent to sound like we have a God-given purpose.
You can't really exist without providing your labor to someone else (unless you're a dependent, by definition).
>>
>>32555299
But God designed this world though.
>>
>>32555293
it's a random statement. You could perfectly say the exact opposite "we are in this world to rest, therefore the earth is not for working and suffering"
>>
What exactly is "merit" and why should it be earned?

It's bad faith because he's conflating the ordinary usage of the word "merit" and the Anselm of Canterbury definition (i.e., Christ's "treasury of merits").

Work and suffering may (emphasis on may) produce merit in someone's eyes, but why does God need to be appeased by our suffering?
>>
>>32555316

Except if everyone thought that, we would be completely fucked and everything would fall apart.
>>
>>32555309
Oh, yeah, that's fair. I'd say he built the basic laws of physics and now this is how we live, as per some original intent.

I like to get the taste of flat earth Bible literalism out of my throat whenever possible. But I mean that Liguori's claim would probably echo well across many cultures and religions.
>>
>>32555338
if everyone thought the world is for suffering life would be just as bad or even worse
>>
File: AveNostraSalvatia.png (392 KB, 600x679)
392 KB
392 KB PNG
>>32555309
Yahweh's a poser.

The true creator of the world lurks in the background, only the brave and the bold may meet him
>>
>>32555387
What is the purpose of life to you?
>>
>>32555338
We would simply revert to hunter gathers who's only concern is survival and passing the time. Lots of people live like this today. We don't really need computers and the stock market and all this bullshit.
>>
>>32555483
I disagree with both points of view. We need to strive for something called efficiency. Work smart, not hard.
>>
>>32555293
he is correct
you can grind merit here at an insane rate if you have the balls
if you lack balls your life will turn into hell
nice 93
>>
>>32555403
Realize that by virtue of the "divine spark" in you, you are all that you need. You don't need to derive your contentment from others. Part of the process includes exercising dominion over the darkness which holds control over your mind. And after dissolving everything that is holding you back, you can fully realize how much of a gift you have in your life to enjoy the love of God and others, even when humanity is at its lowest, most egoistic, most animalistic point.

I also believe that this is a process that isn't guaranteed in one life time, but eventually, you'll achieve eternal divinity.
>>
>>32555502
Then the meritorious should all be hot women with onlyfans. If there is a merit in what you've described, it's to be that of a hot woman with a huge onlyfans following, it is THE definition of working smart, not hard. It's the truest form of efficient work, the lowest amount of effort into the highest amount of return. I can scarcely imagine someone working less for that amount kmof cash.
>>
>>32555519
Can you tell me more? My suffering is great day in and day out, since the 2nd grade (the first time I truly remember comprehending what human suffering is)
What CAN I do with it?
>>
>>32555293
"We are in this world to love and care for each other" therefore the earh is not a place of work or suffering, but of love and peace"

There.
>>
>>32555293
It's wrong if you adhere to the doctrine of Sola Fide (grace by faith alone), which is scriptural. Works are proof of faith, but they are not absolving or grave-giving in and of themselves. God cares about what's in your heart, not how your charity looks on a balance sheet. Protestants and Orthodox alike believe this. I think the Catholics have a different doctrine, however.

If you're not a Christian that quote doesn't even speak to your moral or metaphysical context. Liguori isn't speaking to a universal principle. He's talking about doctrine exclusively. Even Buddhists don't think you're acquiring karma points just for suffering.
>>
>>32555733
>It's wrong if you adhere to the doctrine of Sola Fide (grace by faith alone), which is scriptural. Works are proof of faith, but they are not absolving or grave-giving in and of themselves. God cares about what's in your heart, not how your charity looks on a balance sheet. Protestants and Orthodox alike believe this. I think the Catholics have a different doctrine, however.

The Orthodox do not believe in Sola Fide, and they would contest that it's scriptural via their citation to the Book of James.

The Orthodox do reject, generally, the Augustinian developments of grace starting in the West from the 600s onward.
>>
>>32555733
liguori said objective beauty standards exist,that human beauty has hierarchical degrees...as someone who obsessed about his own face,i find such stuff horrible coming from a theologian
>>
>>32555293
completely wrong, what about the millions of children who suffered and still suffer, harsh conditions such as starvation, illness... gruesome deaths... and their parents losing their kids young... what about innocent people suffering for no fuckin reason just because they happened to be at the wrong place wrong time...

this is bullshit and you know it.
>>
File: 2ve32b9mc7oy.png (296 KB, 500x327)
296 KB
296 KB PNG
>>32555829
>>
It's the truth but low consciousness people (npc's) can't comprehend it.
>>
>>32555613
face it bravely. face it with a sense of justice. face it honestly. imagine you're a god and face it like you think the god would.
>>
>>32555602
There is something about production efficiency. But there is a catch. Tons more effort may be needed now vs. effort in the future. For example, look at the old buildings of Europe still there. They worked very hard but it was efficient because they lasted. In contrast, if your home gets demolished after 50-100 years, this isn't efficient because you have to have someone else build another one.
>>
We live in this world to contemplate it's beauty and have the opportunity to improve creation as it's created
Why would an all-loving creator make humans as slaves that have to prove their worthiness?
>>
>>32555861
im not an atheist

i know god exists

and i fucking hate him
>>
>>32555826
I mean he’s not wrong though. Some people are beautiful and can become models, others cannot (unless it’s through virtue signaling bullshit, “ let’s have our quota obese model “)

Doesn’t matter if it upsets your itty bitty feelings or not, grow up
>>
>>32556265
Because do you really think people are capable of improving creation on their own volition? For Christ’s sake your perception of “beauty” is warped just from you posting a socially degenerate weeb picture. Has drag queen story time made the world more beautiful?
>>
>>32555639
Based, wholeseome and true.
>>
>>32556520
Greco-Roman and Gothic architecture made the world a more beautiful place, Renaissance paintings and even anime
It's not because YOU are not capable that nobody else is
>>
>>32556503
thats why I stopped being a catholic, I wont worship a god who made Me personally a non-model,and this person isnt a kind person for enabling models,its akin to super-eugenics
>>
>>32556602
>>32556520
honestly all non-beatiful people should be gassed and we(im a non-beatiful male/plural use of we)would agree to it if be considered that fact we are hierarchically less than models.
himmler,stalin, bin laden...had such mighty men tried to fight for beauty,and for the extermination of the true Enemy,the true Infidel(human uncomeliness of face)...ah,well, wed have a world actually worth being sentient in
>>
>>32556761
We don't need to be that radical, ugly people could use masks and receive plastic surgeries from government, a fat/ugly tax could be applied
>>
>>32556794
its not about practical applications,its about onthological realities.
if i NEED surgery,but other young man DOESNT, im onthologically, pantheistcally of a lesser substance than him.
Its like, you know, a law of the universe which dictates supremacy for some,and the pit of oblivion for the rest
>>
>https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=bi_GCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT196&dq=alphonsus+liguori+vain+appearance&hl=es&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi89ayli7P5AhXgg5UCHfNICDI4FBDoAXoECAsQAg&safe=strict#v=onepage&q=vain&f=false
VAIN about looks? when this was written people probably still believed in spontaneous generation...does this author know what for a male,looks decide 90% of his life,work life,social,life,,everything?
>>
>>32555293
We are in this world to gain merit from God.
That is it.

rest is as important as work. the suffering has its role, sure, why not, but it doesn't mean that it cannot be alleviated.... so therefore earth is a place of ... what really, a place of good, of place of where you can do good, and that can be done through many ways not only work... cherishing someone is not work and suffering. being happy is not a task. suffering is not work.
etc..
>>
>https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=HRCgAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA216&dq=alphonsus+liguori+personal+appearance&hl=es&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwje7oWhkLP5AhW7kZUCHa5xAS4Q6AF6BAgJEAI&safe=strict#v=onepage&q=alphonsus%20liguori%20personal%20appearance&f=false
here alphonsus says "MORE beauty"...that implies there is an objective hierarchy of beauty which his god allots. he is praising models and shitting on everyone else,,even if he doesnt know it.
>>
>>32556503
>>32557186
>>
>>32557186
any fun ideas of non-sexual fun shit to do before I off myself?
>>
>>32557186
this NEEDS more attention.
this man was a lookist who praised prettyboys for their "Objective beauty"
>>
>>32555293
I mean the world is nothing but suffering and unachievable goals coupled with the misery of not achieving them. The world is suffering and that's clear as day, the question is why, why must we go through all this pain? Sometimes I think our creator is a sadist who gets off on our failures.
>>
File: amogus.jpg (92 KB, 840x846)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>32555293
alphonSUS????

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.