[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1635132689159.png (249 KB, 676x676)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
I'm going to start a meditation practice. What are the best methods?
I'm confused because there are so many and I'm not sure what the most "effective" one is. I'm interested in both eastern methods and western hermetic ones (like Franz Bardon's system). How do I choose?
>>
bump
>>
Transcendental meditation involves simply repeating a mantra of three meaningless syllables for 20 minutes twice a day. Last syllable being ohm. Attach no meaning to it. Morning and night. Just focus on realistic your mantra. When you're distracting by thoughts (some are useful) acknowledge then and return to the mantra.
>>
Make the room totally dark and silent, even unplug your refrigerator if it makes a lot of noise.

And just sit, try to keep your back straight because that promotes not falling asleep but don't overdo it or think about it.

Then just sit, just sit and watch, watch how you feel, watch how you think.

Watch how you want to "achieve things through meditation".

Watch how you may think "Maybe I'm loosing my time, maybe this is the wrong method".

Watch how you may feel fear in the presence of thoughts that "You'll never become enlightened and you are just losing your time".

Watch how your body may feel aches and uncomfortable and how you want to readjust it.

Watch how you may think "But if I do that then I'm not doing good meditation! I shouldn't do this!"

Watch how you "Want to go somewhere else through meditation because the here and now is unpleasant and wrong"

Watch how you may think "No! I won't escape from those bad and unpleasant feelings of the here and now, I will sit and fight them, and solve them and and and"

Watch, my friend, watch.

Watch how you may remember this post and say "I should watch! I should watch! THIS is what I should DO! Anything else is bad! This random guy on 4chan said it!"

And try to realize that all those things I mentioned above are not you but just thoughts.

But don't "try" to realize, there is no "correct way". There is just is.

Worlds are useless in meditation, just sit and be, and feel.

And watch, watch yourself being and feeling.
>>
>>31842391
That's what David Lynch does, right?
>>31842856
This is great, thanks
>>
>>31842264
Relax each part of your body from head to toe.

I recommend the Silva method centering exercise and the autogenic training if you are a westerner.

Eastern meditation methods (not thinking about anything, focusing on a candle etc.) don't work for westerners. Go as deep as you can.

Then you will find out what everyone is talking about and why people have done it for thousands of years.
>>
Is Metta a good meditation practice for anxiety?
>>
>>31842264
Perhaps not what is the best. Meditate on nothingness. Death. The nothingness after life. The nothingness before you were born. And what it all means when you envision it, and whether one can or cannot envision a state of absolute nothingness/non-experience. You dont have to do this for very long. Unless you want to of course.
>>
>>31844357
To that end. Observe the going ons in your mind. How the thoughts go in and out, as if they were clouds moving across the sky.
>>
>>31842264
https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Illuminated-Meditation-Integrating-Mindfulness/dp/1501156985 best book by far
Many people have attained the jhanas and stream-entry with it
Go see r/tmi
>>
I have a doubt.
Been conscious breathing for hours now, I'm feeling slightly light headed.
I'm not sure if it's the endorphins or I'm doing something wrong.
Is it normal to feel light headed with mindful breathing?
>>
>>31844458
Certain breath patterns can lead to light-headness yeah
>>
>>31844458
Describe your mindful breathing. Are you being forceful? Why? Your natural breathing shouldn't leave you feeling light headed.
>>
>>31842264
the best is just to fuck off and threw all your expectation, meditation is meditation, there is no best but one that suit yourself
>>
>>31844913
This.
As vulgar as this anon is, he is right.
You have your own path, just sit and feel, forget all the worlds and readings you have done.
Just sit and stay still and you will feel what you gotta do - you may follow your breath, your thoughts, your body sensations.
Just sit!
>>
>>31844287

Could be, but worthwhile otherwise.
>>
>>31842391
But why meditate on nothing, when you can meditate on the names of God?
Whatever you meditate on you will develop awareness of. You can still your thoughts in God, rather than in emptiness.
>>
Obligatory /fringe/ meditation archive thread
https://archive(dot)ph/lQE5j
>>
Hemi sync. The gameway experience. it uses binatural beats and will take you in weeks to places regular meditation uses years.
>>
>>31842264

Sitting meditation, pic related.
>>
>>31842264
Meditation is about observation, acceptance and letting go. Just sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes, observe your thought, accept them as they are, let them go. You might focus on your breath if that help.

Start slowly, maybe 3-5 minutes per session if you it's more comfortable for you.

Whatever happens remember we're not perfect, we're not imperfect, we are.
>>
>>31842264
void meditation.
>>
>>31842264
That’s a cool pepe
>>
>>31845208
what if i have shitty posture and can't mantain a good one for more than 30 secs while sitting
>>
>>31845239
Then you need exercise not meditation.
>>
>>31845096
That is a loaded question because that is not what Buddhists do.

You're trying to pick a fight with Buddhism for what? Mind you, I saw you do this before.
>>
>>31844997
>>31845096
>>31845337

See, I know what you're doing and this thread would have died after my Metta comment.
>>
>>31845239
You can also do standing or walking meditation or even meditation in a chair or laying down.
>>
>>31845239
That's what yogasanas are for, find a true hardcore teacher and strengthen those back muscles!
>>
>>31842264
here are 209 guided meditations with different methods
do them all and you will be a master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azGKv5lWkeI&list=PLKv1KCSKwOo_BfNnb5vLcwouInskcEhqL
>>
>>31845096
If you meditate on meaningless syllables it becomes a meaningless focal point of concentration and the effect on your mind from this process is why you do it. It takes you deeper into your kind where the waves are less choppy. That's why it's a good technique, there's no specific being, dogma, system, beliefs.
>>
Focusing on your breathing with your legs crossed sitting up straight is a good way to meditate. The Buddha said that Mindfulness of Breathing was one of the most effective ways to spiritually grow and was a way to achieve the higher meditative states (jhanas). If you can clear your mind like that it is really calming. It's also a good way to take time to reflect on your day,
>>
>>31844722
>>31844680
I-m breathing slowly, I-m not being forceful, just paying attention to it.
I think it might be the coffee, because my heart was beating pretty fast before
>>
>>31842264
Binaural beats are the ultimate meditation cheat code. Use an app tho and not that fake shit on YouTube
Monroe gateway project is good too
>>
For strengthening the back I do headstands, against a wall, lowering your feet to the floor and then up. So if your feet are expectations, you bring em up and then down.
>>
>>31845347
Do you realize you're not replying to the same person?
>>
>>31846160
I see.
A religious mantra accomplishes the exact same, plus benefits of connecting with the deity, but is not suited for a non-religious person.
So it's a valid path for non-religious people, but it is kind of strange to remove God from religion, but everyone needs to start somewhere.
>>
>>31844997
I'm trying to control my anxiety, what should I be doing
>>
>>31842391
Can you give example about the mantra ?!
>>
>>31845096
>May not a man take muddy water and make it clear by keeping still?
—Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
>Empty yourself of everything. Let the mind become still. The ten thousand things rise and fall while the Self watches their return. They grow and flourish and then Return to the Source. Returning to the Source is stillness, which is the Way of Nature.
—Lao Tzu, Tao Te
>>
>>31851174
But he believes that evil and good are one and the same so fuck him
>>
does any of you meditate through exercise?
I really like that method personally
>>
>>31842264
>How do I choose?
The relevant question here is - "what is your goal?".

I notice that a lot of people who say they "want to meditate" have no tangible goal. They aren't trying to attain any abilities (they don't take the lore literally/seriously).

So if your goal is literally just to "quiet your mind" and "be still", you already do the best form of meditation for you, it's called sleeping lol.

As for me, I'm going to be following Franz Bardon's system, but I actually take his writings seriously and literally. If I thought of meditation as just a means to "relax", or "clear my mind", or "achieve a "higher" state of consciousness", or <insert other vague pointless thing>, I would not bother wasting my time to meditate. I could get way more out of simply sleeping than meditating in that case.

There has to be some tangible benefit to me doing something or else it's a waste of time to me.

I made a free audiobook of Initiation Into Hermetics here: >>31782223

>>31851357
>does any of you meditate through exercise?
Aren't those two things the exact opposite of eachother?.
>>
>>31851413
My goal is inner peace. More specifically, I really struggle with anxiety and overthinking, and I want to be able to let go of bad feelings, transform anxiety into peace, and abide in that.
>>
>>31851413
>Aren't those two things the exact opposite of eachother?.
i don't know, running really helps me with meditation
steady pace cardio is the best way i get to meditate personally
I don't overdo it at first, I'll run about 20 mins at a 8-9km/h pace, and play the same song in a loop
Then, I'll pump the speed up, and as I feel more tired, it's when ego and willpower has to kick in for a bit. After I fight the urge to stop, it's when the real meditation kicks in, and I'm out of my thoughts completely.
My body will be running, but my mind will be on another plane of existence
I have to say that I'm NOT an experienced runner, or really a runner to begin with, however. Maybe someone who does this for more time than I do has to add on this
I also do lift weights, and apply the same meditation method of willpower as in running there, especially when going for rep PRs
Maybe it has to do with conjuring extreme willpower to pull through that gives the otherwordly state feeling afterwards, idk, but I really like this method personally
>>
>>31851421
>My goal is inner peace.
You're looking for something vague and subjective. You're looking for a placebo. I've never had extremes of anxiety, but I don't know why you'd want to get rid of "overthinking", that's always been a perk for me that has helped me think ahead and get the things I want, and avoid a lot of trouble in the future.

I am very paranoid, and sometimes it's annoying, but a lot of the time it's been beneficial to me, because I think about things that never cross most peoples minds, that leads to me being innovative and planning ahead.

Anxiety isn't necessarily a bad thing either. It's your body responding to perceived stress. It's your body telling you that you are inadequate, because if you were "doing your best in life" you wouldn't have any reason to feel anxiety. You should take the "notice" from your body and improve yourself. Well that's the way I look at it lol.

For example, pain is your body telling you that you made a mistake or you placed yourself in circumstances that are unfavorable. Your body has a natural "punishment vs reward system".

This is the problem with the whole "new age" mindset. Peace is not something you can simply manifest. Peace comes from changing your surroundings and increasing your resources. It's a very material thing.

You can take a master of meditation and place him in a poverty stricken, war torn place in Africa, ruled by a violent militant regime, and there will be no peace in his life, the peace will come after he gets killed.

Stop trying to make the physical, spiritual. You want peace, build your wealth and escape the life you are currently stuck in. Using meditation for the goal you have is like how people with troubles drink alcohol. It's a bandaid over a gaping wound, you'll still have to deal with the life problems that make you have anxiety and keep you overthinking.

There is no escape from the problems of the material world without a material means (outside of death).
>>
>>31851501
I disagree
>>
>>31851458
>running really helps me with meditation
What does the word "meditate" mean to you?

I would think that a racing heart is the opposite of meditation. Being calm is kind of "core" to what meditation is.

I mean if you reversed the first sentence you gave, would it make sense to you:
>>31851357
>does any of you meditate through exercise?
"does any of you exercise through meditation?"

Would sitting still and doing breathing exercises help anyone burn calories and/or build muscle?

Do you consider sitting still a form of exercise?
>>
>>31851507
>I disagree
Ok then, good luck. But what I'm saying is common sense. If you have anxiety because you struggle to pay bills or you live in a dangerous crime ridden area. You can do as many meditation sessions as you want, it won't help you pay bills and it won't protect you from the burglar that breaks into your apartment/house to rob you lol.

The anxiety will still be there, you're just trying to put a bandaid over it.

If anything you are treating meditation like a form of escapism to ignore your real life problems.

Reality doesn't care how calm and relaxed you are. Your bills are still due, your problems in life will still exist.
>>
>>31851517
What if your mind is only calm when your body is busy doing something?

I mean QiGong is active meditation, Yoga is sometimes active meditation.
>>
>>31851533
Not him but, You could say you could meditate for a prepared mind set for the time comes to do what you must, you will do it without fail to protect yourself or property.

Sort of a warrior's mind set meditation, what people do in martial arts classes in Seiza.
>>
>>31851571
>What if your mind is only calm when your body is busy doing something?
Your body isn't calm though, that's part of meditation.

>>31851571
>I mean QiGong is active meditation, Yoga is sometimes active meditation.
Those examples (like hatha yoga) are not just meditation, their focus is usually on improvement on the physical body. They are a combination of physical exercise and meditation techniques.

Hatha yoga would definitely be something you like. Look into it if you don't know about it already. I'm sure you already do.

All I can say is I've never been calm while building up a sweat lol.

>>31851585
>Not him but, You could say you could meditate for a prepared mind set for the time comes to do what you must, you will do it without fail to protect yourself or property.
Doesn't sound like what that guy is doing though. He's trying to use meditation as a means to reduce anxiety and overthinking. He's trying to use it for escapism. I'm suggestion is that he focus on changing the things in his life that make him feel anxious or make him overthink.
>>
>>31851533
>If you have anxiety because you struggle to pay bills or you live in a dangerous crime ridden area
I don't
>>
>>31851631
>I don't
That was just an example. The point is, it's material problems causing your anxiety, so you have to address those material problems, because after you're done meditating (trying to ignore them) you're going to have to get back to reality and be at the mercy of them anyways.
>>
>>31851649
>it's material problems causing your anxiety
It's not
>>
>>31851657
>It's not
You can keep telling yourself that if you want. I garuntee if you were a millionaire real estate owner, who didn't have to work a day, and spent his time traveling and spending time with beautiful women, you wouldn't be posting on here asking about meditation to address "anxiety" or "overthinking".

You'd have nothing to be anxious about and you wouldn't have to overthink anything because your life would pretty much be an endless vacation.

Good luck, but I'm telling you now, after you waste your time attaining meditation techniques the anxiety and overthinking will still remain (unless you placebo yourself with it).

Now I'm done. It's a waste of time to continue such a one sided conversation.
>>
>>31851712
>I'm done.
Ok
Anyone have any suggestions for >>31851421?
>>
>>31851723
>Anyone have any suggestions for >>31851421?
There are no correct answers to an incorrect question.
>>
>>31851756
Anyone else I mean
>>
>>31851760
>Anyone else I mean
Don't (You) me in the question then lol. Anyone else can see your first post you know? ;)
>>
>>31851517
>What does the word "meditate" mean to you?
reaching a state of mind that is outside of what I experience normally, and also, connecting more with the things around me
I've meditated while sitting still (and had my most intense experience while doing so), but running helps me more with meditation on a day to day basis
also while I've gotten to more extreme states of mind with sitting meditation, much of the time, I don't feel like I'm achieving much through it
running however, always makes me the state of mind I want to, and I can always completely clear my mind while running
it's not that "my body is moving" after the willpower phase, I feel like there is no body
Also keep in mind, that, with running, your breath has to be consistent anyway. Listening to the same repetitive song, that goes along with the beat of the legs running, and the breathing itself, does wonders imo
Of course I guess it can't work for everyone, but it has been really beneficial to me
I'm curious if others have tried similar techniques, combining exercise and meditation

what about yogabros? Is it worth it?
>>
>>31851785
>I'm curious if others have tried similar techniques, combining exercise and meditation
Look into hatha yoga.
>>
>>31842264
https://library.dhammasukha.org/uploads/1/2/8/6/12865490/the_path_to_nibbana__d_johnson_f18.pdf
>>
>>31851712
Must be nice being so deluded
>>
>>31846684
Any apps in particular that you recommend?
>>
>>31851881
>Must be nice being so deluded
Notice that you could not address the argument lol. Who's the deluded on again?
>>
>>31842264
put this on and meditate over some black fucking coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO-2rDf3SXg
>>
>>31851421
https://youtu.be/Kn_KILZYEkc
Same thing just 6r the anxiety away
T. Suffered from anxiety and I'm much better now
>>
>>31852006
Thank you anon
>>
>>31852035
You're very welcome. Please, give his way a shot, with some weeks, maybe even days you'll notice the difference. Don't believe me, just do it and you'll see for yourself. I hope you find what you're looking for.
>>
>>31842264
>>31844962
>>
>>31851421
>>31828511
>>
File: 1652413680291.jpg (107 KB, 606x822)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>31851413
which kinds of meditation would be best for the following things?
>hightening magical perception and ESP
>connecting with your soul and will
>astral projecting
>>
>>31851355
You can perform evil with good intentions and good with evil intentions. Dao is straightforward balance like karma. The point is to not judge because it perverts the perception of reality, you get the answer you want rather than the answer.
>>
>>31851174
He's talking about emptiness/void meditation.
Not about one-pointed concentration on a meaningless string of words.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.