[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hey friends. I know the very basic equipment but not even that one, what am I to buy in order to start completely from scratch?

I'm guessing:

Bunsen burner
Distilling equipment
vials phials and mixing things
scales
organisation/storage

what else?

Thank you friends I wish you the best let's have a good thread
>>
BUMP
>>
>>29295441
Bunsen burners are fine but hotplate is a must, you need temperature control, below flame temp (plus the burner isn't worth anything unless you have gas). Also if you wanna do some actual chemistry you'll need oxidizing and reducing agents for a lot of things, and those will probably be hardest to come by, sodium nitrite is good, borohydride is good, look up some stuff related to that.

Other useful equipment:
UV lamp
filters + filter flask
latex tubing (best general chemical resistance; good for connecting nitrogen/vac lines)
a vacuum pump
Nitrogen (for creating inert atmosphere)
large heavy plastic bag (for filling with nitrogen for inert atmosphere)
acids and bases (can get good HCl and hydroxides from most hardware stores)

I'll post some more later if I think of anything good

t.chemist
>>
>>29295788
thank you for this
would you available for courses of sorts? keeping anon of course
I can pay and help you in other areas if you want/need
thank you again I appreciate the reply a lot
>>
>>29295441
i recommend that you make very good friends with a local borosilicate glassblower who knows how to make industrial/lab stuff. the glass part of the gear you'll need is hard to ship, and very pricey.
>>
>>29295829
pyrex cooking glassware is borosilicate, so for at-home things that's a pretty good way to get around the high cost of scientific glassware. People overestimate how accurate your glassware needs to actually be because as long as you have an accurate scale, you can measure your volumes out by volume = density/mass , accurate glassware is just a timesaver and if you're doing this as a hobby it's not really a big deal.
>>
>>29295873
>>29295829
Thank you, noted both.
>>
File: checkem.gif (437 KB, 400x400)
437 KB
437 KB GIF
bump
>>
>>29295441
>what else?

just language here
i'm not allowed to use the stove
>>
If you want to get started with alchemy, don't waste time with Bunsen burner and lab equipment. Alchemy is a spiritual discipline, not a physical discipline; you are the Lead which must be transmuted.

Do the chemistry stuff if it's your fancy, but don't confuse it with alchemy itself.

If you want to do alchemy or any esoteric practice, the best thing to do is to live virtuously and go through the metaphysical equivalent of a shower: get rid of bad habits, vices, any psychological problems or so. The Lead must be cleaned and polished before operations can commence.

This book is a very nice intro to esotericism in general, and particularly through the symbolism of the alchemical and Kabbalistic tradition:

https://mega.nz/file/lI8WjQKQ#bxA3LXWxl7ZSvLt5_-53W4P13qu9_ehTjr6YcdOfLFs
>>
>>29296830
Thank you for the clarification but to clarify it myself, I know all this.
I'm looking to specifically create tinctures and extract things from plants and compounds
thankyou for the link friend
>>
>>29295441
You're going to want to invest in a workspace. By that I mean a work surface that is resistant to anything you might spill on it, some kind of ventilation (a fume hood would be ideal), and proper measuring equipment. Get some micropipettes, tips are cheap af.
Get some equipment from bluelab (pH, TDS probes).
After that, it will depend on what you intend to do. Like others have said, you'll want a hot plate, (if you need something to stay at 0 C, use an ice water bath). But short of stocking a lab's worth of equipment, try and figure out what you want to do, and see how many pieces they share.
>>
>>29295873
Exactly, spend your money to get precision in your measuring equipment, rather than in your mixing containers.
>>
>>29296871
What makes that "alchemy" rather than "chemistry"?
>>
>>29295811
This post glows hard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.