[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Exploding head syndrome (EHS) is an abnormal sensory perception during sleep in which a person experiences unreal noises that are loud and of short duration when falling asleep or waking up.
The cause of exploding head syndrome is unknown.
What is the cause, /x/?
>>
>>27742090
It's unknown, apparantly
>>
Have had an insanely loud transient "pop" at the moment of falling asleep few times. Sounded similar to switching inputs on an old audio amplifier.
>>
>>27742178
I found out what this was because one morning I woke to what sounded like a bomb going off, leapt out of bed still almost asleep, and my bf asked what was wrong. There was no explosion.
>>
Happens to me when I'm really tired, just as I fall asleep. It's different every time and has been everything from people talking to explosions to just strange noises really
>>
>>27742090
Playing too many video games without sleeping and fulfilling contracts without monetary gane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phVQZrb2AdA
>>
>>27742090
I've experienced this once it was weird, it was at the height of my anxiety.

>Trying to fall asleep one night
>What sounds like a tyre screech goes off in my ear
>Shoot up out of bed
>Wtf?!!!
>Lay back down
>Drifting off
>Gunshot.mp3!!
>Decide to experiment with it
>Try to keep myself in that sleep limbo butter zone that seemed to trigger it
>heard everything from the mario coin ping to car door slamming.

Always just one, very short, very loud sound every minute or so. Never experienced it before or since.
>>
>>27742090
I’ve heard all kinds of things during both hypnagogia and hypnopompia. It’s usually voices but it can also be random things like a beer can falling on the floor beside me or the loud sound of thunder. The voices I’ve heard have been both from people I know and don’t know/can’t identify. It is very brief and it usually sounds like they are in mid conversation talking to someone else. I’ve also heard an angry Arabic(?) man arguing very loudly and also a female Swedish radio voice talking about icy roads somewhere in that country.
As far as I can determine it’s like my brain is attempting to tune in to dreamland but sloppily leaves the volume high while tuning in to all kinds of other random shit instead. But other times it’s far more deliberate, like it’s meant for me to hear it, like aggressive sounding whispers and growls coming from a specific place in my bedroom (corner just below the ceiling). While both phenomena occur during same state of mind I think they are very different and separate from each other, but beyond that I don’t know what to think.
>>
>>27742090
scanners messing with your head
>>
I've had this since I was a kid, it usually happens when my mind is racing when I'm trying to fall asleep. The sound changes just about every time (door slam, thunder, loud pop. Etc) and afterwards it's like I can't hold on to a thought, if that makes sense,
>>
>>27742170
I would love to know what it really is, happens to me a couple of times a month - not like it's a sligjt noise or something you could ignore, either... like somone dropping an engine block on the kitchen floor from aboit roof height.
>>
>>27742090
I never had disturbed sleep except for a small handful of times. One time I was woken up by my dad because he said I was screaming like I was being murdered, and when I woke up to him shaking me by the shoulder I laughed hysterically for five minutes.
The one other time I woke up to what I thought was a demon screaming as loud as a car crash outside my house, I screamed awake with tears in my eyes and my family swore there was no such sound. Never heard of EHS but I've experienced it exactly once apparently.
>>
Had this a few times, usually when trying to sleep after being at a music festival for like 3 days.
Scary as hell, first time it happened sent me into a panic attack
>>
>>27742090
>Exploding head syndrome
I used to suffer from that for 20 years. It could happen easy 5/10 times a year. One time, immediately after it had happened, I realized (don't ask me how) that what I was hearing was the last moment of a previous life when I had committed suicide with a firearm...I didn't hear/think/feel etc., I just knew as fact. It hasn't happened since or again in at least 5 years..
>>
>>27743929
Dude, that stuff is scary. I'd love to know about my oast lives, though.
>>
>>27742090
I get this but its usually a womans voice shouting my name urgently. The interesting one is hearing my moms young voice, i hear her voice shouting as if to wake me up but its her when she was in her 30s when i was a kid. Sometimes i hear a door creaking loudly or again, a woman's voice saying some random word.
>>
>>27742090
happened to me once. Scared me a bit, but i just got some more sleep and it never happened again
>>
>>27742090
bump
>>
File: gwrm7hiwhpn21.jpg (241 KB, 1079x1757)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>
>>27742090
>>27743929
>>27745744
For me it usually sounds like an adult man, maybe middle aged, with a loud brief shout. lower pitch. Has happened in several months though.

closest i could find is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfKZLIEzZ0
>>
>>27745942
Thats a lot less comforting than a mothers voice, damn
>>
>>27745942
Jeez, that's worse than an explosion !!
>>
File: 1613749032337.jpg (28 KB, 720x480)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>27742090
Experienced before. One morning I woke up to the sound of a piano falling through my ceiling near my bed. To my surprise my room looked exactly the same upon waking up so nothing actually happened.
>>
>>27747598
>>27743760
>>27742854
What's interesting to me is the feeling that it is a sound in the waking world. Normally when one awakes, one knows that one has been dreaming.
It's almost like a spasm of the middle ear or something.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.