[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: ryzen.jpg (48 KB, 1000x1000)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
I've built systems from scratch before, but not in the last decade.

I'm going to buy all the parts to build this: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/CGzKHx/excellent-amd-gaming-build

Obviously, I also need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, too. What else? I know I need thermal paste. I'm going to buy a tube of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the CPU and heatsink. Anything else that's not listed on there? Additional case fans? Cables?
>>
>>615487
water cooling is a meme. get this for the CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V4H84953&Description=be%20quiet%20pure%20rock%20slim&cm_re=be_quiet_pure_rock_slim-_-9SIA68V4H84953-_-Product

theres also a bigger version called pure rock. which is $10 more.

other than that, looks good. also, there is an obscure fucking bug with those ryzen chips that strikes randomly depending on your parts.

if your computer starts freezing, as in, the screen literally freezes and mouse/kb dont work and monitor stuck on one frame, then you have it. the fix is you need to go into the motherboard and disable C-states, and set the PSU idle control to "typical." dont do this unless you have the freeze.
>>
>>615506
>water cooling is a meme.
Not if you live in some kind of ungodly hellhole like Nevada where it's 100 degrees at night.
>>
>>615506
>disable C-states
This can't be real, right? If it were p-states I would have said you had too low a voltage, but no idea what you can do to fix c-states.
>>
>>615487
>I know I need thermal paste
I'm pretty sure my Ryzen came with its own paste, no third party paste needed
>>
>>615534
C states are just the things that let the CPU use less power when its not being worked as hard.

on a very small minority of ryzen systems, due to reasons unknown, the C states goes full retard, and doesn't give it enough juice to keep the computer on.
>>
>>615537
>>615487
Also, Don't get G.Skill Ripjaws RAM, mine didn't work and I had to get Corsair's Vengeance ones instead
>>
>>615538
>>615540
Wait a fucking second... is that it!? I searched days for a solution and all answers were 'switch your RAM lol'
I'll be mad if it is.
>>
>>615541
i just built a ryzen build and was getting the freeze bug. you can find out more by googling 2700x freezing or ryzen sleep bug.

basically it only happens when the computer isnt being pushed to its limits. which is annoying as fuck because when you benchmark your shit its fine then it randomly freezes when you're doing nothing.

just go into the motherboard, disable C states. then for the PSU idle option, turn it to typical.

also, you might have to reinstall windows. but USUALLY, those BIOS fixes are good enough. try those first and youll most likely be good.
>>
>>615534
This has been a thing since Core2. C-state transitions involve a complex interplay between the OS and the uncore and usually the ACPI/UEFI power management code from the BIOS, and if there's bugs or incompatibilities in any of these, the uncore can shit the bed. At best this means getting jammed in an inappropriate C state, at worst this means your cores shut down and don't wake up.

Having a core stuck in idle when the OS thinks it's available and is scheduling kernel threads on it will lock your machine up just as well as having a core fuck up an instruction due to a lack of power.

Back when you were sticking 771 Xeons on 775, disabling automatic C-states was a great way to make a machine with a 771 processor and a 775 BIOS actually boot an OS.
>>
>>615545
Do you have any more obscure computer knowledge sempai
>>
>>615534
Anyway
>>615487
First of all, wait for Ryzen 3000 if you can
Like >>615506 said, water-cooling is a meme if you don't live in hell like >>615531
If you do, sped your money moving somewhere else

That part-picker list is complete shit:
2600X is good but you could grab the 2600 and overclock it yourself. Both come with a great CPU cooler so no need to buy a third-party one.
Look at mATX instead of ATX - are you seriously ever going to need all those PCI-E slots? Why have a PC take more room than it needs to. This means mATX motherboard and case.
Check memory compatibility with the motherboard manual before you buy it. You could get these instead if compatible: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
I'd recommend Samsung SSDs above all other brands (especially literal who brands); specifically the SAMSUNG 860 EVO, make sure you get 500GB minimum.
RTX2070 is whatever. If you want the features and performance then fine I guess, just don't buy cheap-ass ones like the MSI one in the list; EVGA offer 5-year warranty - have fun trying to get anywhere with ASUS, MSI or GIGABYTE.
The PSU looks pretty good.

All-in-all, 2/10
>>
>>615543
>basically it only happens when the computer isnt being pushed to its limits.
Hmm, that's weird, my problems arose when it WAS pushed to its limits, like during gaming. Normal, low intensity usage was fine.
>reinstall windows
Did it
>BIOS fixes
Did it also.
Thanks for the PSU tip though, I think I'll try it someday. This is getting kind of offtopic so I'll stop posting now, but thanks again
>>
>>615548
>Look at mATX instead of ATX
This is a bad suggestion if his case can fit both sizes. The only reason to get mATX, is if you want a smaller case that can only fit mATX.

Otherwise, what's the point? Also, mATX is a shit middle ground, if you want a small PC, get mini ITX.
>>
>>615548
>I'd recommend Samsung SSDs above all other brands

this this this fucking this. the ONLY SSD brands you should even THINK about touching are Samsung or Crucial. Western Digitial and Sandisk are okay too.

But Samsung is the king.
>>
>>615552
Or because it's cheaper, or because you're willing to take the risk or being raided by the agency that polices computers whose case is too big for their motherboard.
>>
>>615555
there aren't really any good quality mATX motherboards t b h. most of the mATX motherboards are cheap dogshit

the manufacturers at least try with the atx and mini itx boards
>>
>>615552
I suggested both micro ATX motherbaord AND case.
>This means mATX motherboard and case.
>>615552
Have fun trying to to do anything with your hands in an ITX build. You also need to get graphica cards with blower coolers for such builds. Also limited with HDD space or any for of expansions.
>>
>>615540
There are different Corsair Vengeance. Which one? RGB? Pro? LPX?
>>
>>615616
LPX, 16gb. Also I tried my friend's HyperX predators, they worked too.
>>
>>615548
>First of all, wait for Ryzen 3000 if you can

It sounds like that may be 4-6 months. Or is this supposed to be in 1-2 months?

>2600X is good but you could grab the 2600 and overclock it yourself.

Is this method just as reliable?

>DDR4-3000 Memory

I assume the 3000 is faster. Is faster than 3000 worth it?

>I'd recommend Samsung SSDs above all other brands

I agree.
>>
>>615735
ryzen 3 isnt until mid 2019 they said. probably june desu. just get ryzen + for now.
>>
Is it worth springing $8 for a tube of better thermal paste?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.