[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: setup.jpg (422 KB, 1981x433)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
Pic related is the setup: After about a month, I began getting intermittent I/O errors from reading the mounted dir of the hdd, fixed after reboot. Now, I am also getting USB disconnects.
Which of the three is the likely point of failure? I am currently trying a different USB port to see if that changes anything.
>>
File: dmesg.png (91 KB, 1561x644)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
Different USB port gives same results. Here is a dmesg at the time of failure.
>>
It seems that this may be a result of energy saving. I have disabled it and will see if it disconnects/fails again.
>>
>>1286707
>which of the three
Probably the enclosure, if it was the hard disk the enclosure would correctly relay IO errors instead of locking up.
>>
>>1286707
>Pic related is the setup
In the old days, I used external cases like you. But nowadays, I use external docks and plug the drives in and remove them as needed. Docks are more convenient as I can use multiple drives. They also let me store each drive in its antistatic envelope on the bookshelf.
>>
>>1286707
>Which of the three is the likely point of failure?
The USB 3.0 cable. Orico enclosures while cheap are pretty good, but being cheap it's obviously packed with a cheap cable
>>
>>1286762
>>1287285
Still getting errors. Will try to use a USB 2.0 cable and see if it persists. I also ordered an enclosure from a different brand.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.