[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 56784587456786.jpg (35 KB, 900x506)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Is Black Friday actually a thing still? I ask because: from Best Buy to Wal-Mart to Target to Newegg to Amazon to (I could list shit for days, but you get the idea - everywhere you can buy stuff, from online to in-store brick n mortar), everywhere unlocks/opens/makes available their "Black Friday" prices AND the actual sale products anywhere from one day to a week before the actual day. Personally, I have several friends and family who were all chatting today about having their BF shopping already, some had theirs done since this past Monday.
So I ask (and please, present evidence, counter arguments, contrarianism, etc): is Black Friday actually a thing? Like... are there (big, HUGE) businesses that actually wait until the clock rolls over from THUR to FRI midnight and not only drastically drop prices for products already available but rolls out products that were heretofore unseen and for crazy low prices?
(bonus question: this same applies to Cyber Monday..)
>>
You're asking what's the policy on every single one of those stores. How the fuck would we know, they can run their stores however the fuck they want. Don't ask us, ask them.
>>
>>1286612
Who said anything about policy? I'm asking about a concept in general.
>>
File: black-friday-7.png (981 KB, 900x698)
981 KB
981 KB PNG
>>1286607
i assume they have their sales early to prevent pic related lol
>>
>>1286616
But that's my point. Why go to Dilards specifically on FRI when they've had the sale prices and inventory out since like Tuesday? Do stores even do this shit anymore??
>>
>>1286607
Every year on the news you used to see people fighting for things. I guess the stores worked out that it's bad publicity, or thier legal teams decided it's not worth the risk of injury or possible death.
It's all bullshit marketing these days anyway.
>>
>>1286617
>specifically on FRI
short answer is that most people are busy this week and don't want to go shopping right after work on mon, tues. on wednesday, they are usually traveling (by car) to a family's house. on thursday most americans are busy obviously with cooking and shit
friday is the first "free" day people have during the break, and stores know it
>>
>>1286617
>Do stores even do this shit anymore??
Individual stores in chains can vary in behavior each year, so there is no correct answer to post for your naive question. Some stores will even put out closeout or obsolete items at their normal extra low closeout prices because black friday shoppers will buy them up.

>specifically on FRI
The purpose is to convince shoppers on the 4 day holiday weekend to come into the store and see the NON-advertised items for sale. As to why stores bother to have a big sales day, as >>1286621 said, it is the free day during a four-day holiday weekend that the whole family can even go out to shop together. One other factor driving the sales is that stores know shoppers have a limited purchase list for the holiday gift period. Once people buy these items, that removes it from their list. So the stores try to set prices to encourage you to fill your shopping list from their location instead of from the competitor also setting a sales price trying to get you to enter their store.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.