[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: boo.jpg (198 KB, 1630x795)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
I'm looking for books that go into exact detail about how the college system works, specifically for undergrads. Books that explain credits, gen ed requirements, and major specific courses so that I can optimize my college plan to be as efficient and quick as possible.
>>
>>1224041
You don't need to buy books for this anon (I just saved you a ton of money!).

Step 1: figure out if your field really needs a degree, or if you're just going to be spending your time getting yourself investing a ton of time, money, and mental energy getting brainwashed by some woke egghead who hasn't done practical work in your chosen area of study for years (i.e. the last time they "did" instead of "taught").

Step 2: Get what's called a degree audit sheet from your school(s) of choice for your chosen major. Most places have this, or a list of required credits in selected areas (X amount of major, X amount of gen ed, X amount of humanities, and so on). Once you have this, go to their course offerings, and compare this to your list. Some places have their prior semester's schedule available so you can get a general idea of what your school year will look like (if on a semester [fall/spring] system), or on a quarter system (two mini semesters in fall and spring). Most places do have some summer options if you want to grind through, but keep in mind that if you are the type that needs that summer break, this will sap your mental energy fast.

Step 3: know yourself, and set your schedule accordingly. If you are the type who can cram everything into a single or couple days classwise (see previous step about little or no breaks), then do so. That will leave your rest of the week free for doing homework, writing papers, job, etc. Find a good balance for downtime, but don't dick around and still expect to pull a good grade.

Step 4: Figure out your school's, professors', and peers' ideological leanings FAST! unless you are in agreement with them (and sometimes even if you are), fielding the wrong opinion in class, or on paper is an academic death sentence. The cliche about "hiding your power level" holds true if your dream school is 100% opposite you in ideology. Do the required work, keep your head down, and graduate.

continued next post
>>
Step 5: Finding a mentor, academic advisor, etc. Sometimes, you get assigned an academic advisor, and it's important to find out if this person is actually going to help you when push comes to shove, or they just sign your class forms and don't care otherwise. A good advisor will offer advice on classes, your major, and stuff like that if you need it (not your friend, but a professional resource to call on while you're enrolled). A good one will help when you're stuck fighting uphill against the school system, and a bad one will just sit back and act like you're just a name and number they see twice a year. Same with a mentor: some programs require an internship in your field (some assigned, some you find on your own). This is an important pick, because this person may be someone have as a professional contact later on down the road in life. A good one will show you the ropes, help you understand what being a professional starting out in your field is like, and give you some opportunities to learn your craft (not all are paid, so there's that). A bad one has you doing bitch work getting coffee and tells you nothing of value. Don't get me wrong, you will probably be doing some bitch work, but if all's you're doing is bitch work, you are most likely free labor and and likely going to learn much where you're at.

Step 6: Dating, partying, and all that. Some people go to school to party, some co to school to get married (women will deny this, but a chunk of the population go there seeking to find their spouse not a degree, especially if he's in the more profitable line of work or will be). Be mindful of your time, be mindful of doing something that could get you expelled (and a criminal record) and be mindful of gold diggers wanting to latch on to the future successful you. having said that, you can make great and lasting friendships here, and not ever woman is a gold digging whore. Use good judgment, or get some.
>>
Step 7: Stimulants are no substitute for sleep, rest, and taking a decent break to clear your head. The picture of the college student burning the midnight oil and a cup of (energy drink, coffee, or whatever), or worse, getting hooked on some more powerful stimulant is not a long term solution to shorting yourself on sleep. Same goes for proper diet and exercise. Take care of yourself, because filling your head with knowledge does no good if you destroyed your body to accomplish this. Get some sleep, take a break, and do some exercise. Your future self will thank you for this.

Step 8: Financial aid, and other miscellany. This part may be discouraging, but do your paperwork early, and talk to your financial aid office often for whatever help you can get if you are paying for your schooling (and yes, if you get loans, you WILL be paying for it, probably twice over). Even a little bit off helps. Be mindful that your accounts are paid and up to date, as it will impact everything from getting a parking pass to checking out books from your school library.

Step 9: You graduated, now what? Vaya Con Dios, mi amigo! But before you go, make sure that you actually get your diploma from your school. Most places do this a couple weeks after (as a final "we got your bills paid, and in case you did something stupid at graduation" insurance), so that. Also, probably a good idea to request a couple copies of your sealed transcripts from your school (check over your unsealed transcript first, just to make sure there's no mistakes). That way, if you decide to go on to pursue a higher degree (like a Master's, or even higher at some point, you overachieving madlad!) you don't get held up waiting for something you already have in hand.
>>
That's all I can think of for now...though if you ignored my advice and got some useless degree like feminist art history, enjoy working at starbucks along with all the other people who dropped the price of an expensive car (or a house, depending on the school) on a fancy piece of paper saying you are a highly educated moron.

I *did* try and warn you.
>>
talk to your fucking university student center. you don't need a book for this you fucking dweeb. also, 90% of university degrees are worthless so either get a degree that actually matters in the real world or join a trade.
>>
>>1224380
>>1224381
>>1224384
Thank you very much for this information Anon! I will definitely be considering this in the coming weeks.
>>1224392
Will do so as well. I'm not going to major in a meme degree with no job prospects.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.