[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nc.png (30 KB, 730x315)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
I got an old anime in 1080p but the group that released it did it in a ridiculously big files, a season could easily go for 1 terabyte.

Old anime in good quality (obviously before crunchy and funi existed) is hard to find so i want it to be the best quality, without it being an unnecesarily big file.

How can i re-encode it to a realistic size while making sure i will ABSOLUTELY NOT lose any quality?

All i know is that it's "h264 8 Bits".
>>
>All i know is that it's "h264 8 Bits".
Also, the audio is FLAC 2.0 and FLAC 5.1.
That's probably making the file too large, still maybe the video can be re-encoded to make it a more realistic size.
>>
>>1204833
You're not going to re-encode them without losing at least a bit of quality. It's a matter of how much you can reduce the filesize without you realizing there's a difference in quality.
>>
>>1204833
You can use StaxRip to re-encode the files to H.265 in lossless mode. But I doubt the size improvement would be worth the time it would take.

As >>1204843 said, you're better off going for a good enough lossy encode.

>>1204842
FLAC audio isn't that big. Use MKVCleaver (assuming the files are MKV) to unmux the tracks and see for yourself. If you're going for lossy, you can encode the audio to Opus, but it'll still only be a small improvement compared to video.
>>
>>1204833
>Re-encoding show without losing quality?
No.
>How can i re-encode it to a realistic size while making sure i will ABSOLUTELY NOT lose any quality?
You cannot. Error quantization occurs every time you transcode.
>a season could easily go for 1 terabyte.
Sounds like a BD remux. 3 gigs per episode is on the upper end of what releases get, and there are people who claim to be fine with 300 megs per ep but I'm not convinced those people aren't watching on their phones. If they are bd remuxes you should be able to safely encode to avc 10 bit with a crf of 10-22 depending on your tolerances and the content. https://guide.encode.moe/encoding/codecs/x264.html
>>
>>1204833
if you are keeping them for archival purposes you want to keep them as is. if for personal use, then I would use h265 with a special aac codec. maybe something like this;
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:a libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_he_v2 -r:a 8000 -b:a 3k -c:v libx265 -crf 32 -preset slow -tune grain output.mkv

or just use lossless h265
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.265
>>
>>1204833
What's the file type and size of each video, and what's their video bit rate?
The video bit rate is most important to quality and will be a big factor in the size of the file. Audio bit rate does little to determine file size.

small video bit rate number = smaller file = lower picture quality
high video bit rate number = larger file = better picture quality
>>
>>1204959
The bitrate is 12.1 Mb/s.
Like anon >>1204867 says, the source seems to be BDs of size of 2-3gb per episode.
Feels like too much considering 500mb or so episodes (from another release) have similar quality.
I am looking to decrease them in size while keeping the best possible quality.
>>
File: 1652548280774.jpg (42 KB, 517x593)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1205042
>The bitrate is 12.1 Mb/s.
>>
File: bt.png (25 KB, 440x447)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>1205059
I suppose that bitrate is a little too big, based on that pic?
That's the average, some episodes have 13mb/s like this one.
It's too much, and the quality isn't all that great, since it's an old anime the video is GRAINY, there are other versions where it's not grainy (probably manipulated by the group that released it) and weight much less, but this one is "complete" while the others are incomplete.

So, i guess trying to decrease the size a little won't REALLY make an impact on an old show with grainy frames.
>>
File: 0e1.jpg (40 KB, 500x500)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1204867
I tried this guide and downloaded all the tools required but vsscript gives errors and overall nothing works.
>>1204945
>>1204851
Ah, so my only hope is try to mess with some FFMPEG parameters and hope for the best.
>>
>>1205077
ffmpeg is not that scary, just search "ffmpeg how to do X" and stack overflow should answer you. also the command in >>1204945 doesn't include data and subtitle channels because uuuuuh, I forgot them lol. This should work

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:a libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_he_v2 -r:a 8000 -b:a 3k -c:v libx265 -crf 32 -preset slow -tune grain -map 0:s -map 0:d output.mkv

this will use aac-he for audio, h265 for video and just copy subtitles and data. If your ffmpeg doesn't have aac-he you can swap "-c:a libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_he_v2 -r:a 8000 -b:a 3k" for "-c:a libopus"
>>
File: 1652557584291.png (136 KB, 910x391)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>1205077
>>1205112

as for your questions, yes that bitrate is, in fact, too high. I selected "grain" instead of "animation" thinking you might want to preserve grain since you went this far for a lossless version. also you can increase or decrease "preset" to increase efficiency. when it says "very slow" it means "an hour for 1 minute of video"
>>
you encoder hounds are forgetting to ask what the target playback machine is before suggesting profiles

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.