[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1652420449092m.jpg (53 KB, 1024x576)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I'm a bit slow and hazy. I was put in a car and told to just go, subsequently fucking it all up because I have no familiarity with the controls, the pedals, the mirrors, the buttons or mechanics, and I simultaneously had to watch out for cars and pedestrians. So I was overwhelmed and just called it.

How do I learn to drive for the first time when I'm a big dumb, smooth brained oaf?
>>
enroll in driver’s education
>>
>>1204648
there is no shortcut
if you have a good teacher he will let you do the first hour on roads without traffic just so you get used to the car friend of mine had two, while i drove through a less crowded small town after half an hour cause my dad made me drive before i even passed the theoretical exam
also every car is different, recently started a job where i drive a new postcar (just 10k kilometers driven) big difference to the old ones with 100k km, also both of them have more new tech than my own car which i dont even realize yet (like that beeping stuff when driving backwards)
just do it, dont worry anyone can drive a car
>>
Start without the traffic so you can begin to get the mechanical aspects down. If you want to be fancy, see if there are training grounds in your area (basically a set of roads on private land catered towards learners, you pay entry, you get insured, you can bumble around and try stuff out in a fake street network). If you don't want to be fancy about it - any empty parking lot will do (if a large office is closed on sundays, late at night by shopping malls, etc - just anywhere wide-open without cars or people).

If you have the option, start in a rural area. Lower traffic, less complicated roads and signage, fewer parked cars. Cities are terrible to learn driving.

Find a good, patient teacher. Obviously the person telling you "just go" isn't the right type for your preferred learning style.

Ultimately it's going to boil down to routine. You will become a more confident driver the more you drive, the more you can mentally automate the technical aspects, the more you get to know the area (signs and roads don't change often if ever, so if you already know them it's one less thing to worry about). Ultimately everything should happen automatically and you should be able to focus on traffic and pedestrians entirely.
The problem is there is no rule for how long this will take you (different people pick it up at different speeds) and if you already hate it, you tend to avoid it which turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy (you need lots and regular practice if you want to improve).

Some people are not cut out for it. I've always hated it, worried way too much, ended up making a few genuinely negative driving experiences. Haven't driven a car in 10 years. It's doable. I've later picked up motorbiking and I like it a whole lot more. No giant steel cage, better visibility and if I fuck up I just harm myself. I used to worry about rules and traffic and after 3 years of biking I noticed I was confidently speeding like everyone else, lol. Practice, man.
>>
>>1204652
>>1204653
Its spooky. My mind is usually groggy and theres so much to pay attention to simultaneously and move my foot and hands and head the right way also. I dont want to hurt anyone but it's a big giant machine
>>
>>1204689
- find a driving instructor you gel with. You can totally talk to them before paying for a bunch of lessons, and see if they're a good match for you or not
- learn to move the thing on a closed property like a car park or something, where there's nothing to run into and no-one else to worry about.
- that way you can isolate the individual tasks until you don't have to worry about each one of them, and then put them together

If you're the kind of person who needs to know how something works to understand how to work it, have a look on youtube for how gearboxes, engines, clutches, etc. actually work. Then you'll understand what you're actually doing when you bite the clutch and so on.
>>
File: qwe_download (6).jpg (37 KB, 630x630)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1204689
this >>1204696
its like learning to drive a bycicle just grown-up-edition, weird ways to move your feet for speeding up, added balance factor, you are a little bit faster and there are new tracks to drive onto, plus the rules
yet today you probably grab your bike and dont have second thoughts
>>
>>1204709
Actually I've never ridden a biycle.
>>
>>1204733
oh.
>>
>>1204648

If you were told to just work everything the first time you have a shitty teacher.
Normally for beginning the teacher will take over the pedals and gears so you can concentrate on the steering , just keeping the car straight on the road in real traffic, which is more than enough for a beginner.
Then he should guide you to a large empty parking lot for your first full control tries, reaching the insane speed of 20 km/h for the first time, first gear switching etc.
>>
>>1204770
I know
>>
>>1204773
>just keeping the car straight on the road in real traffic, which is more than enough for a beginner.
That just happens itself by magic, it's super-easy.

But it's probably the same reflex as >>1204733, which might explain OP's problem.
>>
>>1204937
Is there any cure?
>>
>>1204773
>>1204937
Okay, I just did the parking lot thing for an hour. It's hard enough turning and keeping it straight, I cant imagine how difficult an intersection will be theres so much input to take in and output to give at the same time. How do 16 year olds do this
>>
>>1204648
A lot of times people will take their kid's to a big parking lot and have them drive around the parts where there are no cars for a bit before getting on the road. Also, don't drive a standard until you know how to drive.
>>
>>1205119
>Also, don't drive a standard until you know how to drive.
With all do respect, its 2022
>>
>>1205132
What's that supposed to mean

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.