[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: switchd.png (11 KB, 1014x336)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
I have a laptop I want to segregate from my network, so I bought a TL-SG105 switch and set it up as shown in the picture. It seems like I can only get Internet on one line out of the switch, not both. Is a switch the wrong tool for the job, or is there some configuration step I'm missing?
>>
bampf
>>
>>1060834
Do you have multiple accounts with your ISP?

If not, you'll obviously need to be using a router to, well, route.
>>
>>1061023
>need to be using a router
Yes, I have a router (see diagram).
>>
>>1061050
I think he means another router. Like, I assume the router in the pic is connected to the switch on the uplink? Then who's routing the PC #2? If this is the case, you'd probably be better off using a (virtual) DMZ that your router probably supports. I've never done it, but I know it's for that; DMZ for the laptop. Another way would be to have a second router and put it under the first one, and have some NAT and firewall separating your laptop from everything else (which would be the physical equivalent to the DMZ setup). I don't suppose your switch would be able to do that. Disclaimer: I'm just talking out of my ass.
>>
>>1061054
Thanks for responding. I seem to recall my router has a DMZ, so I might use that as a last resort. What I don't understand is, if I can connect a PC directly to the modem, or modem-to-switch-to-router, why can't I do pic related? The output from the modem is Ethernet, after all.
>>
>>1061106
>if I can connect a PC directly to the modem
Hold on, now I'm confused. Are you implying that your modem is actually a gateway, or is it a legit modem? Modems modulate the signal, routers route the packets, and gateways do both cheaply and good enough for home stuff. What are the things you have? Is the modem a legit modem or a gateway your ISP gave you? Is the router a legit router, or a second gateway you bought?
>>
>>1061109
>Modems modulate the signal
ISPs have started calling routers-that-route-one-computer "modems" now.
>>
>>1061121
>ISPs have started calling routers-that-route-one-computer "modems" now.
Yes, they have done that for a couple decades, but modems also still exist. In his picture he has a modem and a router, so, is he actually using a real modem and a real router, or just two gateways, or a gateway and a router?
>>
>>1061124
I have no idea what a "gateway" is, but clearly his ISP would not have given him a "modem" and a router, if the "modem" was a router.
>>
>>1061148
He might've purchased the router himself or any other of many possible things. Are you acting dumb on purpose? Whether his ISP gave it to him doesn't matter at all. It could also be all stuff he bought, or a setup at his workplace; none of that matters. I just want to know what the things he has actually are to better understand his situation. That's a gateway in your picture. No, I'm not gonna call it a modem or a router, because then how would I differentiate from actual modems or routers he may have?
>>
>>1061157
>That's a gateway in your picture.
Odd, it doesn't say "gateway" anywhere on the box.
>No, I'm not gonna call it a modem or a router,
Odd, it literally says "modem router" on the box.
>>
>>1061159
And you probably don't have "idiot", "troll" or "ignorant" tattooed anywhere on your body, but you're still one. I'm done feeding you.
>>
>>1061180
Better phone up TP-Link and tell them they need to change the name of their router so you can not be wrong.
>>
>>1061106
>if I can connect a PC directly to the modem, or modem-to-switch-to-router, why can't I do pic related? The output from the modem is Ethernet, after all.
If you could connect all your PCs directly to the modem, why would they have given you a router?
>>
The user counter isn't adding up. Did >>1061233
really drive out the guy trying to help only so you could >>1061234 remain in the same confusion he was trying to clear out? Or is it OP trolling his own thread in some posts? I don't get it.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/complete-guide-to-modems-routers-and-gateways/
>Gateway is another term that means modem router.
By the way, a modem-router is not a router nor a modem. It is a gateway. Google is free newfriend.
>>
OP here. This is my modem. Coax goes in, Ethernet comes out. My router routes.
>>1061234
The modem has one Ethernet port. I bought the switch thinking I could split to the router and the laptop.
>>
>>1061343
This is, indeed, a modem and nothing else.

>I bought the switch thinking I could split to the router and the laptop.
It cannot. You will need a second router instead of that switch.
>>
>>1061351
Okay, thanks, but of what practical use is a switch, then? Router -> switch -> multiple PCs, I suppose.
>>
>>1061357
A router creates a subnetwork that cannot be accessed from outside (except through whatever exceptions you configure), and that presents to the outside as a single unit. Typical residential internet connections require both of these features -- you want your network closed off to the internet for security reasons (the internet is a scary place), and moreover your network must present itself as a single device because most ISPs only provide room for a single device per subscription. Which can be either a computer, or a router with any number of computers behind it (by far the most common arrangement for obvious reasons).

You are trying to create a second isolated subnetwork in your home network, which your existing router can do; but your ISP still needs your connection to only have a single apparent device on it. So, a second router.

A switch allows you to connect a larger number of devices to a subnetwork. It can enlarge a subnetwork, but it cannot create one on its own. You'll need one if you want to connect more (wired) devices to your PC#1 network than there are ports on your existing router. Or if you want to connect multiple devices in the same room that doesn't have the router in it, and you only want to lay one cable between the router and that room.
>>
>>1060834
>I have a laptop I want to segregate from my network
put it on a vlan, this is what vlans are made for
>>
>>1061492
Is that different from a router DMZ?
>>
>>1061664
yes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.