[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/w/ - Anime/Wallpapers

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 6144 KB.
  • Images smaller than 480x600 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: OS-Tan XP.jpg (490 KB, 1600x1200)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>
File: OS-Tan Archlinux.png (1.88 MB, 1920x1080)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
>>
File: OS-Tan Debian.jpg (484 KB, 1024x768)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>
File: OS-Tan Debian.png (633 KB, 1920x1080)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
>>
File: OS-Tan Debian 2.png (617 KB, 1920x1202)
617 KB
617 KB PNG
>>
File: OS-Tan Debian 3.png (485 KB, 1920x1080)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
>>
File: OS-Tan Ubuntu.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1200)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>
File: OS-Tan Windows 7.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1200)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>
File: OS-Tan Windows Bluescreen.jpg (384 KB, 1600x1200)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>
File: gentoonep.png (969 KB, 1920x1200)
969 KB
969 KB PNG
>>
>>
File: minty.png (533 KB, 1920x1080)
533 KB
533 KB PNG
>>
File: w.png (873 KB, 1920x1080)
873 KB
873 KB PNG
hi boys
>>
File: 1621475780061.png (2.49 MB, 3840x2160)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
If someone on Windows is looking to get into using Linux, what should they learn?
Also what would be a good starting distro?
>>
>>2201409
Just load up mint or ubuntu on a virtual machine and use it for a few weeks. After you get comfortable with linux, go for a more advanced distro like arch/debian/gentoo
>>
File: thumbs_up.jpg (320 KB, 1920x1080)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>2201409
mint
>>
>>2201409
Ubuntu for having access to shitloads of resources for help, Linux mint for windows like UI, Manjaro for having access to Arch user repository without screwing around with arch installs
>>
>>2201369
Weren't there more papers of this format? Potentially for other distros aswell?
>>
fixed up a wallpaper for a windows me build
used waifu2x for noise reduction on highest; worked pretty well
>>
>>2204235
and for those of you who like your taskbars double height:
>>
>>2204236
finally, if you want all of her visible with a double height task bar, here you go
>>
>>2204237
oops, forgot noise reduction
>>
File: 1611695835552.png (477 KB, 1920x1080)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>2203501
like this?
>>
>>2204887
Yeah, I think they're pretty funny
>>
Any NeXT/OpenStep papes?
>>
>>2201409
Install Gentoo
>>
bump
>>
>>2204974
Go back to /g/
>>
>>2201409

Start by using OpenSUSE in a VM. Or any distro that seems interesting. But starting point should be some commonly used pre-packaged and pre-configured distribution such as OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint, etc. so that you have access to community for help and tips, its distro specific documentation and other resources. Check IRC and Discord channels for these distros.

Do not install drivers for your hardware directly from manufacturer's website.

Use distro specific software/package manager to install things. There are GUIs for them but it often in my opinion tends to be easier to just use CLI versions of dnf, apt, pacman, portage, etc. instead of Gnome Software or alike.

Try different desktop environments such as KDE Plasma and Gnome to figure out what feels best for you. Main difference between Plasma and Gnome is the widget toolkit used to write programs for the desktop which determines its look and feel. KDE Plasma uses Qt and look and feels like MS-Windows.

Gnome is macOS-like but does many things in its own way. Gnome is usually the "default" desktop on Linux but it tends to split opinions. Its toolkit GTK+ and libraries are used to build most of the other desktop environments in Linux such as Mint's Cinnamon, or the famous XFCE which resemble MS-Windows more.

Use Linux at least one year on real hardware before attempting to move to any advanced distribution such as Gentoo, Arch, SourceMage, etc. However I wouldn't recommend it for most users. The main benefit of distribution such as Arch is usually marginally better performance, slightly newer software and ability to have the system configured just the way you want it to be in exchange for a lot of your time.

Maintaining advanced distributions also take a lot of time and knowledge. There are iterations such as Manjaro (based on Arch) which automate a lot of this and make it easier to use. So rather than moving to Arch directly it might make more sense to first move to Manjaro before jumping to Arch.
>>
>>2201409
I felt the driver tip needs more clarification...

Do not install hardware device drivers such as graphics card drivers from e.g. nVidia's website. There are a lot of web pages that instruct how to do this but do not follow them! You most likely do not know how to install a compiler, compile your own kernel modules, and how to load them at boot time.

Fortunately you do not have to know. Usually Linux kernel comes with the most drivers baked in. For example when it comes to graphics cards Intel and AyyMD master race people will always have their official latest free graphics drivers as long at they have the latest kernel.

In AMD's case instead of their official supported free driver (named AMDGPU) you could enable extra features by installing their proprietary driver (called AMDGPU-Pro). However that's not required to play games from Steam for example.

nVidia is PIA. There is an unofficial semi-free driver for their older graphics cards which comes with the Linux kernel (it's called nouveau). However to get most performance out of their hardware, nVidia proprietary official driver is needed.

Most user-friendly distributions pre-package this official nvidia driver as much as nVidia's license agreement allows it. However a lot of times they cannot ship it with the distribution. So for example with OpenSUSE a separate nVidia repository has to be added and separate pre-packaged driver has to be installed. There are instructions to do this and it's two commands in CLI or few simple clicks in YaST (their configuration framework tool). nVidia officially supports OpenSUSE as well.

There are distros which do bundle nVidia drivers as well. Probably most known is PopOS! which is based on Ubuntu and intended for System76 built PCs. But can be used in any PC just the same.

What further complicates this is the choise for graphics backend between X and Wayland. nVidia has poor Wayland support because they don't play the ball. But that's a story for another time.
>>
>>2206518

That's a cool short introduction for noobs.
>>
>>2206519
Thanks, anon. I'll be using an AMD card once I manage to get one.
I'll look into OpenSUSE, although I've heard that Mint and Ubuntu are good starting points for beginners as well.
Any particular reason to choose OpenSUSE over others?
>>
File: mint2.png (514 KB, 1920x1080)
514 KB
514 KB PNG
>>2203501
>>
>>
File: lolis.png (1.02 MB, 2560x1440)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>2203501
>>
File: lolis.png (1003 KB, 2560x1440)
1003 KB
1003 KB PNG
made another one, open to suggestions for future ones
>>
Anyone got more Windows or IOS?
>>
>>2206885
I have tons for windows
I'll try to remember to post them here later. If I forget and don't post in the next couple days, just reply to me again and I'll remember.
>>
File: wallhaven-mdpgl8.png (771 KB, 1600x795)
771 KB
771 KB PNG
>>2206575

OpenSUSE Leap is the official cost-free version of commercial SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop distribution (SLED). As of Leap 15.3 users receive the same security & feature updates as SUSE's paying enterprise customers do & at the same time. It has a strong branding and is one of the oldest actively maintained distros.

Leap is a highly optimised distro with good performance metrics. This is due SLED being meant for professionals that do e.g. audio work, graphic design, 3D modelling, CAD/CAM, and such. This benefits users of OpenSUSE Leap in such a way that it's a very good platform for gaming & multimedia. Ubuntu (and Mint as a derivative of Ubuntu) tend to have performance issues & memory consumption problems on desktop.

Notable distro specific feature of OpenSUSE is YaST. It allows you to make deep system configuration changes from GUI without a need to touch CLI. In other distros you do have to actually know how to use multiple separate CLI/GUI utils to perform config tasks and have knowledge of how to edit plain-text config files in /etc directory but with YaST you can use single GUI to perform most of these changes.

YaST can also be used to perform system upgrades, install software, partition disks & more. It enables use of OBS (Open Build Service) & one-click-install of software through a web interface.

It provides users with vanilla versions of KDE Plasma and Gnome.

Here is also couple reasons why not use OpenSUSE:

OpenSUSE defaults to BTRFS file system which is a piss poor attempt at cloning some features of ZFS. Ubuntu offers the actual ZFS support out-of-box. However use of either is not adviced for desktop users whom should use ext4. Ubuntu & Mint default to ext4.

YaST has a tendency to restrict you from making "stupid" decisions over how to admin your own system. This restricts the very freedoms that you'd choose to use Linux for. But new users might want this "safe-guard" which is why I tend to suggest OpenSUSE for new users.
>>
File: mint.png (478 KB, 822x1139)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>2206918
I'm fairly certain I've seen that and pic related for other distros like Arch.
Does anyone have it?
>>
why is there no manjaro tan yet :(

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.