[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 11 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DCPoland.jpg (788 KB, 1920x1080)
788 KB
788 KB JPG
Anyone like old school hex and counter games? Something about ugly ass simplistic graphics appeals to me.

Playing Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris right now. Those Poles are tough as fuck, mostly becasue of the time limit. I got right up to Lodz and Warsaw in my last game but couldn't rack it. I'm going to try again and focus on taking secondary objectives and racking up VP points that way.
>>
>Anyone like old school hex and counter games?
Hell yeah brother
Last year i enjoyed Strategic Command WW1.
Pretty nice change from usual ww2 fare wargames stick to.
>>
>>915483
Played Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa multiple times, but no matter how well I do initially, I never get an opportunity to actually stop and refurbish the units, meaning my men run out of steam and then I can't push anymore no matter how hard I try. Can't get past Reval in the north, and even capturing Smolensk is l an arduous task in the centre.
>>
>>915483
I love the decisive campaign games. I just bought the newest one (Ardennes Offensive) and the narrowed the scale down to battalion. Its really good
>>
>>915529
Is there more or less chit shuffling than the other games?
>>
File: screeny1.jpg (1.31 MB, 1920x1080)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>916438
The smaller scenarios seem to be similar but the main campaigns have a TON of units.
>>
>>915507
Fantastic game. Once you've punched through consecutive Russian lines on each front a couple of times/gotten past the natural land barriers that are utter cancer if they manage to get entrenched infantry on them, you want to have your units move into Sustained Offensive Doctrine.

In terms of rest/refits, you need to stick to what you consider each army's area of responsibility on the front, and make arrangements a couple of turns in advance to make sure the units are either out of the firing line or on a quiet section.

Generally speaking the main caps on readiness (the offensive capabilities stat) is your supply rather than fatigue (which shouldn't really be cucking you until November onwards)- are you managing your trucks/trains effectively?
>>
>>916497
Damn those graphics actually look good
>>
>>915483
>Sosnowice
>>
I prefer ATG because I feel like I have a better handle on the amount of counters.
>>
File: AO.jpg (1.09 MB, 1920x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>916872
Agreed, the graphics and the new battalion scale are what grabbed my attention, also the Ardennes offensive being an interesting campaign didn't hurt either. I grabbed this screenshot to try to give you an idea of scale in the main scenario and its probably half of the map, its the most I could zoom out
>>
>>917121
Just to clarify, half of the very eastern edge of the map, the map goes west all the way to Namur
>>
>>917121

Looks beautiful. Turn off hexes for screenshots though!
>>
What do I start with? Just War in the East?
>>
>>917443

Hell no! Decisive Campaigns or Advanced Tactics Gold.
>>
>>917497
>Decisive Campaigns
Isn't that the one where you keep having to listen to Hitler's stupid demands or you get shot?
Sounds fun
>>
>>917502

Yes some of them

There's more to it than that. You have to balance relationships with Hitler, your generals, the SS, and what you actually want to accomplish.

[Spoiler]yes you can let the SS "mop up" partisans [/spoiler]
>>
>>917502
Boyfriend dungeon 42
>>
>>917502
Barbarosa is the only game like that. The rest are mostly military focused.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2.53 MB, 1920x1080)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB PNG
>>917121
by comparison this is the campaign for Case Blue
>>
>>917652
Case blue is the only decisive campaigns game I don't own, waiting for the next sale
>>
>>917528
Well I'm gonna get Barbarossa then cause it sounds nice to have some strategy aspects outside of shuffling counters
>>917514
>You have to balance relationships with Hitler, your generals, the SS, and what you actually want to accomplish
Yeah sounds awesome
>>
>>917121
I never understood counters with fancy grafix
the entire point of NATO counters is seeing information at a glance
adding some shitty picture of a track means you can't tell shit apart without zooming in
>>
>>917847
I think they look neat
You can also switch them to basic nato counters
>>
>>917851
they look neat in the bottom left in the detail view
but on the actual map it takes you 100x longer to figure out what kinda forces are in an area
>>
>>917847
The real reason for NATO counters is that printing was very limited in 50s-70s and high res computer screens didn’t exist. It was a great way display lots of information I’m not that much space, and allowed for models of battles to be built quickly. In decisive campaigns I actually prefer the little outlines of men and tanks when looking at things from a distance, then I switch to NATO counters when actually planning out combats
>>
File: counter.png (3 KB, 25x34)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>918203
yeah and needing to display a lot of information clearly in limited space is still their function
if you're gonna draw fancy pictures on them, you should make them bigger
I can't even tell what I'm looking at
>>
>>918351
Agreed. I wish it didn’t look so low res when you zoomed out too

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.