[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cp701lps9fa51.png (49 KB, 640x520)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-237-reworking-unity-part-one.1506491/
A New Year
A New Dev Diary
Another base system up for a rework (two actually).
Stellaris Thread.
>>
>>914153
They need to make proper sequel and not this shit. They changed concept and core mechanics completely since release and it's all janky and schizophrenic now. Just design proper sequel and make it good this time.
>>
>>914159
This “reworks” are for sequels. Stop this game-changing schizo shit.
>>
>>914159
>>914163
I agree although I still think the hyperlanes+pops changes were for the better.
>>
>>914153
Nice tau pulse rifle
>>
>>914153
Didn't they rant about how great the edict system will be for months? Looks like it's another feature that gets thrown out the window.

The biggest problems of the game still remain: Planet management is a core and warfare isn't fun so you never want to expant. Also there is never any reason to expand anyway as you're surrounded by a huge amount of habitable planets which you can terraform very early in the game.
>>
>>914179
Hyperlanes was definitely a change for the better. Makes the gameplay much more coherent & hyperlanes are peak SOVL for sci fi anyways
>>
>>914333
the problem is that AI is unable to play game and that war system sucks balls
>>
>>914333
No it made the game about corridors with slow imovable frontlines unless you have an overwhelming advantage. Movement is no longer part of a strategy. Chokepoints are now the places to defend instead of places that have something valuable that is worth defending. Even detection is now based on n number of jumps instead of an actual radius. The wack a mole chases of earlier versions weren't fun either but they made no effort into actually trying to make that work, they just gutted it and went for the most easy and unimaginative solution possible forcing one particular playstyle on all players.
>>
File: 1559948372936.png (36 KB, 857x701)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>914153
>rubber band mechanics for artificially slowing down tech builds
>more mechanics for artificially slowing down wide builds
Why not just fix their base mechanics so they're less unbalanced and less in favor of certain builds, instead of adding in new mechanics to deliberately hinder people who are playing the game correctly?
>>
>>914333
Wrong. Removing different FTLs was the first nail in the coffin.
>>
Removing different FTL methods was one of the few changes this game has ever made that favored actual gameplay over the reddit sandbox story generator crap that most of the game turned into.
>>
File: 1642116665651.png (53 KB, 640x518)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>914153
it's still absurd and meaningless global empire-wide mana, just turning it into kind of capacity to upkeep edicts and leaders wouldn't change anything.
>>
>>914626
I hope one day 4x devs around the world understand that Tall playstyles only work by stymieing Wide and therefore shouldn't exist at all.
>>
File: larping in stellaris.jpg (2.71 MB, 4032x3024)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>914153
>Unity should be a meaningful resource that represents the willingness of your empire to band together for the betterment of society and their resilience towards negative change.
Isn't this Empire Sprawl?
>Make tall play more viable
Why? Because you can't 1vs1 someone who owns half the galaxy?
>Several systems that used to cost Influence are now paid in Unity.
Sounds like day 1 the economy will be broken and influence is the new trash currency that will revert to its shitty original income but now it's only for claiming other systems.
>>914159
I agree, I have plenty of friends who bought it and liked none of the changes. They want to go back to 3 FTLs, 3 starting weapons and tile planets. Their taste might be awful but that was taken away from them.
>>914208
Makes me think of XCOM, it's a generic lego gun.
>>
>>914650
Tall playstyles exist only when developers stop thinking about "how will player expand? poor kitty will be sad if he will be unable to conquer a city" and will allow countries to form extensive defensive webs without "TOO MANY DEFENSIVE PACTS: -1000000" and "defensive pact will cost 30% of your political resource".
>>
>>914650
>>914660
>sprawlfags butthurt because exploiting shit AI got nerfed again
>>
>>914626
Because the game isn't fun for a lot of people? What is the fun in a strategy game with only one real strategy and the rest being vastly inferior?

>>914650
You are ignoring that wide has always had huge advantages in most games including stellaris. Distance doesn't matter in stellaris for anything other than moving fleets. Information doesn't need to travel, resources and products don't need to be moved. There's no cost associated with moving things arround. Wide has always had a massive advantage because the game rules give it that advantage, the devs choose to introduce rubber band mechanics to to mitigate these advantages. They didn't introduce any real logistics because they either can't program that, it would be to much work for too little gain because they would also need to program the ai for that, the games engine doesn't allow it because of performance issues.
>>
>>914671
Anon, the only way to stop exploitation of ai is making ai extremely opportunistic and responsive to actions of player, so when wide player claims a system, all neighbors get this signal and tear up his free wide boypussy if he is brave enough to attack instead of being eaten one by one. Adding artificial -5% research speed for every pop or +50% of damage for being small is not a solution.
>>
File: cool_shrimp.png (62 KB, 440x257)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>914153
>Still no Anomalocaris
The absolute state of paradox
>>
>>914656
thin your paints nigger
>>
>>914677
>What is the fun in a strategy game with only one real strategy and the rest being vastly inferior?
You lack reading comprehension. Please stay in school and try to learn something. For the time being, let me try to explain it so that retards like you can understand it.
>mechanics are balanced in a certain way
>that balance heavily favors a specific strategy (e.g. tech rushing)
>instead of rebalancing the mechanics so tech rushing is less dominant, they add rubberbanding so bad players can catch up more easily
This does nothing to change the fact that tech rushing is dominant and doesn't make alternative strategies better, it just adds a bonus for baddies who are behind to get a boost so they can catch up. It's literally ignoring the cause of the problem in favor of using a cheap[ trick to try and hide the symptoms.

I'm not against making more playstyles viable. Quite the opposite in fact, but adding catch-up mechanics doesn't make bad strategies good, it just rewards bad players. What I'm against is the idea that rubberbanding is a viable solution to the issue of overpowered strategy and anything other than a cheap hack to punish people for knowing how to play the game.
>>
>>914671
>exploiting shit AI got nerfed
How did it get nerfed exactly? Nothing in this update makes the AI any less shit or less likely to get exploited.
>>
Damn bro Algeria is really doing so much better than the United Kingdom, they're more than eight times as big.
As well know more land is more strong.
>>
>>915101
who are you replying to
>>
>>915413
That's a /gsg/schizo, you should ignore him.
>>
>>916659
Hiro should just collect IPs from /gsg/ for like a month or something and then permaban them all
It would drastically improve board quality, /vst/ was way better before those fags got here
>>
>>914153
Pacifism pic seems wrong, guy getting shot without resisting would be more authentic.
>>
>>914153
Don't mind the changes in Unity. I actually like those. But the changes to administration will make playing wide empires a complete pain.
>>
>>916736
Who even wants the old admin sistem back? Even small empires go under the 50 cap in no time, playing tall like this is just refusing to expand past your guaranteed habitability planets
>>
>>916820
In all honesty they could've made it that apart of administrative centers, cutting your empire into sectors should be more impactful and actually alleviate empire sprawl because the aforementioned sector has its own bureaucratic center that processes the paper works instead of the capital planet to process it all.
That or introduce a cultural path system that would allow to emphasize tall or wide playstyle...or even something in between.
>>
>>916659
I have never posted in /gsg/.
I am simply pointing out that the idea that wide is inherently better than tall is stupid.
Sometimes bigger is better, but not all size is the same.
>>
File: 3809151.png (545 KB, 1920x1080)
545 KB
545 KB PNG
>>914159
You seriously want current-year paradox to release another game? Stellaris is doing amazing (easily on of their best games). A sequel is completely unnecessary and this game could go for another ten years with DLC
>>
File: 2315125.png (3.9 MB, 3130x3084)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB PNG
>>916676
they have defensive buffs
>>
>>914585
>Chokepoints are now places to defend
That's what they've always been. Chokepoints have never been, and never will be "something valuable that is worth defending". You can't just use the word chokepoint to describe a thing of value you want to defend.
Granted you make a good point about detection, but that's the only thing of worth in your train wreck of a post. I guess you'd call it a chokepoint, wouldn't you?

>>914626
You really think the objectively correct way to play the game is to build wide and rush tech? Jesus, no wonder you guys hate this game, you're doing it you yourselves. Stellaris is an RPG wearing the skin of a strategy game, and to pretend otherwise is just plain ignorance.
>>
>>914585
>Chokepoints are now the places to defend
You sound like anime character
>>
No matter how many times I've tried it, I can never find what people find fun about Stellaris. And like, people seem to love it; yet the developers also seem to have torn out and replaced every mechanic in the game wholesale at some point or another, so they can't have loved it that much?
>>
>>918844
>I can never find what people find fun about Stellaris
It's some combination of empire creation, roleplaying and an actual modding community. At least that's what it is for me.
> yet the developers also seem to have torn out and replaced every mechanic in the game wholesale at some point or another,
Stellaris launched with an astounding lack of vision.
>>
>Still no manual sector management
Wake me when that DD comes out
>>
File: 1485108591573.png (174 KB, 423x427)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>914159
Agreed, with the current tile system every other planet has severe deficit, housing and employment problems because you can only build so much on the planets (which only affects the player because AI get gibs) but the population won't stop growing, which also causes the game to grind to a halt after 100 years, it's almost like they don't even playtest their own games or something.
>>
Any good Halo mods?
>>
>>914333
The problem with the three ftl systems weren't the three systems themselves. It was the fact that you didn't have to physically traverse a system to jump behind it, like you do now. That was why you had to play whack a mole and that was all they had to fix to make them workable.
>>
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-238-ascensions-betas-and-more.1507174/
>Planetary ascension tiers
>More Unity rework stuff
>zombie wagies
Open beta starts now too
>>
>>922553
Now unity is gonna be over-complicated too, do Stellaris devs have an obsession with every other mechanic requiring 10 different resources and production loops to function or are they just retarded?
>>
>>922553
Well, at least zombie pops benefit my >roleplaying
Hope that there's other ways to get zombo pops without being a megacorp.
>>
>>918844
It allows me to pretend my cracked political and philosophical views would be remotely workable on a pseudo-galactic scale.
>>
A friends wants me to start playing stelaris since he noticed me enjoying endless space 2. I'm not really convinced though.
>>
>>924457
You need to ditch that "friend" asap, he means you harm.
>>
>>922553
>zombies are 0% upkeep pops with 75% job efficiency
So basically robots but absolutely broken?
>>
>>924541
There is also the thing about it stacking together with budding. Basically you get +2 normal pop assembly with it.
>>
>>921495
There's a pretty based Star Trek mod but my potato runs it at about 5 FPS. It has some severe AI issues, or did last time I played it (2 years ago).
>>
>>914333
Everyone should've started with warp drives.
Hyperlanes could function as discoverable/buildable and optional super-highways for getting large fleets across the galaxy quickly.
Wormholes could be used exclusively by FEs to get around your fleets and go straight to glassing your planets. Or wormholes are a tech but come with the drawback that ships can only be sent through one at a time, making them the fastest means for a single ship to move around the galaxy but very dangerous for moving a fleet.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.