[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: header.jpg (63 KB, 460x215)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
So will this be as bad as everybody says? Im kinda hyped cause I love the first movie (i like the other two aswell). Havent read the book so I dont bother the missing power suits and so on. Any infos from you Inside guys :^)
>>
>>905706
The anime series is unironically the best adaptation.
>>
>>905716
But is it a satire ? Thats what I like bou the movies most and I also hope for the game
>>
you can play the demo for yourself and see op. when it came out, some people were disappointed, most thought they had a decently fun game on their hands that needed serious polishing in terms of animations, sounds, etc.
in my opinion, based on the few missions they had, the game will live or die based on its mission design. in my opinion they managed to strike a good balance between bug pressure and your ability to go out and clear the map. the bugs spawned just often enough to keep up the pressure but not so often that i couldn't go out and gradually secure and fortify strategic locations.

whether they manage to strike the right balance in all the missions in the final game, remains to be seen.
whether they manage to complete the badly needed polishing by release date (end of march iirc), remains to be seen.
and yes, the game was tongue in cheek in action. whether it was satirical... eeeeh idk. seemed to be the classic "brass is callous and sometimes incompetent and doesn't care about saving soldier and civilian lives". not exactly incisive enough to be called satire in my opinion.
>>
oh, and power suits will probably be in. steam store description says they're in and some screenshots feature troops wearing power armor similar to the one in the western cartoon and terran ascendancy. and also giant marauder suits similar to the ones in the third movie. i'm guessing those will act more like tanks or artillery than mobile power armored infantry though
>>
>>905706
im hype for this game.
>>
>the other two
You have seen invasion and traitor of mars right? they are great, especially traitor of mars.
>>
>>905706
I recall /vst/ really liking the demo. I'm a bit hyped.
>>
>>912516
all I remember from those are the cgi showers and titties. was something like the bugs hijack a ship on mars and crash land on earth, then have some kinda super weapon that can nuke the planet right?
>>
>>905706
The way the soldiers stand perfectly still when they are being shredded to pieces by giant arachnids completely ruin it for me.
Also, the bugs move a bit slowly to my taste.
Will probably pass, even if I was hyped by the idea.
>>
Who said it was gonna be bad? Contrarian retards from /v/? As far as I saw, it was very well received.
>>
>>905721
Starship Troopers Chronicles is not a parody, no. It's great though. Also, read the book, it's very well done and not at all the fascist propaganda the movie would have you believe.
>>
>>914947
The movie is more faithful to the book than people realize. Neumeier and Van Dien had an interesting discussion on the ST3 commentary about how they both follow the format of WW2 films about civilians who join the cause. The book does this through long philosophical monologues but you can't make a good movie like that.
>>
>>915016
>The movie is more faithful to the book than people realize.
having recently re-read the book, I strongly suspect Verhoeven was bullshitting about the
>yeah I read half of it then gave up lol
and it was just a big shitpost, and the movie certainly isn't mocking the book or Heinlein, more like America at the time.
>>
>What people wanted and expected
They Are Billions but Starship Troopers

>What we got
Halo Wars: Starship Troopers.

Fuck off fuck off fuck off. Halo Wars is fun but that shit is the least interesting type of RTS for fucking Starship Troopers.
>>
>>915095
He didn't read the book but the screenwriter did and he made the main cast read it lol
>>
>>905721
this better be bait
>>
I think it's gonna rock.

Let's hope.
>>
>>915310
>>>/v/
Head home.
>>
File: 1604257065290.jpg (96 KB, 890x656)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>905721
No, unlike the movie, it is not a failed satire of a strawman ideology assumed to be espoused in the novel by the retard in charge of the adaptation of a book he publicly and proudly admitted he didn't read.
this bait was just my favorite flavor, fuck you
>>
>>915310
eh why halo wars? i don't see it to be honest.
you've got decent sized bug swarms, you've got static defenses being very important, you have regions indicated by arrows where bug smarms keep spawning from outside of the map and attacking you
admittedly i've only played halo wars for a few hours before getting bored but i don't see the resemblance.
>>
>adapting the Mobile Infantry from the movie rather than the book
Snooze. I don't even like the movies. Did they choose it just because it's iconic? The book version is way more suited for a game.
>>
>>915500
you mean those bunnyhopping suits? how would that work in vidya form? terran ascendancy had jump packs but they were useful only extremely rarely and didn't impact gameplay much at all.
>>
>>905706
Terran Ascendancy on GOG when?
>>
>>915016
The movie is a parody in which the protagonist is a sheep bought into a dishonest fascist system, the book is not. It's fundamentally impossible for the movie to be faithful to the book under these circumstances.
>>
>>914947
>Also, read the book, it's very well done and not at all the fascist propaganda the movie would have you believe.
It literally pauses the narrative to insert a long monologue about how much better the world is where only the military is allowed to hold political power.
>>
File: file.png (2.43 MB, 1280x720)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
The movie completely raped some scenes like the explanation about why a world where you can nuke a planet by pushing a button still needs infantry grunts, which it basically skipped over with a dumb joke, but on the whole its storyline is more coherent than the book's political rambling, and the book's action scenes would be hard to translate to the screen.
>>
lifelong pirate here, just tried to pull up the demo again to play and i can't? i've never used steam before so i want to know if i'm just fucking something up or if steam allows devs to put up demos for like a month or two and then take them away from players. my demo folder is still just over 7 GB so i don't think i accidentally uninstalled it or something. i can understand not allowing any new people to download it but actually keeping people who have it downloaded from playing it?
>>
>>918289
>if steam allows devs to put up demos for like a month or two and then take them away from players.
Absolutely. Do you never do those free weekends some devs have? For example, Amplitude usually has their games be free to download and play for about a week every year and then you can't anymore without buying it
>>
>>918946
>i've never used steam before
Oh right, I forgot that part immediately. So yeah. They do that. A lot.
>>
>>918144
not fascism
>>
>>915440
Not helpful to think of the movie and book as being related really. It's not supposed to be a response to what Heinlein wrote about. As you mention, Verhoeven didn't even read it. He just took the concept of space marines shooting bugs and ran with it. It's Verhoeven's idea of what sort of movie would be produced by a fascist society and it's pretty fucking funny and good as far as that goes.

Showgirls was the same thing for sexploitation but people aren't ready for that re-appraisal.
>>
>>918946
>>918947
yeah i've heard that companies do these free weekends but i never thought of those as demos. you're giving access to the full game so it makes sense it'd be time limited. demos i've always considered to be like one of the early missions that you get to replay over and over to generate hype and keep people tide over until the full game comes out. if a demo is out, it's out and people are free to play it whenever they like. but then again, this isn't exactly a normal demo either since you could tell it was unfinished like a beta, with missing sounds and possibly animations so maybe they pulled it because they decided it might be harmful in the long run. on the other hand i have memories of playing the sid meier's gettysburg demo to death because it had a scenario randomizer and it was clearly just a small part of a finished game, not a work in progress. i probably ended up putting more hours in the demo than i ultimately did in the final game.
so what can i do with the 7 gigs on my hard drive? shove them up my ass? there's no way to make it run anymore?
>>
>>919053
>so what can i do with the 7 gigs on my hard drive? shove them up my ass? there's no way to make it run anymore?
Once the game is out, the demo will probably be public again
Steam does these "demo fest" for a few days, and the limited availability of the demo helps building hype and forces you to play them right now instead of having them sitting forever in your backlog
Not saying it's necessarily a good thing, but i think it does make sense business-wise
>>
>>916680
It depends on the game. Plenty of action or FPS games have jump suits, and it work very strongly in a milsim-type experience. For strategy, I think it depends on real time or turn-based. Real time would need to deliberately slow the pace, to avoid twitchy Starcraft shit.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.