[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 66 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dfgdgf.jpg (452 KB, 1761x954)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
The Pro's
>Massive 1:1 scale real time battles
>Even time itself is scaled 1:1
>Ridiculously deep simulation, wind, air temperature and moisture affects trajectories, temperatures affect viscosity of fuel oil in vehicles, blood loss, organ damage and failure of individual troops affects ability to either fight on or live, every armour plate thickness on every vehicle and impacts of all types of projectile simulated, chance of penetration fully calculated, shells breaking up and fragments pinging around inside the tank causing damage to crew, systems and equipment etc
>Most realistic command and communications system modeled on realities of battlefield comms, voice, telephone, radio, signal flares etc
>Massive battlefields, hundreds of square kilometres topographically accurate depictions based on satellite imagery and air recon photography from the time
>Understanding and use of real world tactics not only helpful, they are essential in order to do well
>Battlefield deformation and persistence, craters from artillery, destroyed buildings, wrecked equipment, dead troops, destroyed buildings etc litter the field for the rest of the operation
>Incredibly kino, manages to conjure atmosphere like no other game out there, from the lighting to the landscape, it's a wonderfully evocative representation of man killing man in the natural world.
>Weather and day/night cycles fully simulated, the sun rises or falls, mist hangs in the air but may slowly clear if that's what was reported by commanders at the time, heavy rain and snow severely affects not just your units ability to see but also to hear the enemy

1/2
>>
File: tthht.jpg (133 KB, 1191x662)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
The cons (some of which can be seen as pro's)
>Zero balancing, this is a simulation not a 'game', forces are based upon what was there at the time, not on what would be fair.
>Single player only, no multiplayer, probably just as well with the focus on realism and accuracy over fairness
>Counter intuitive UI unlike anything else, takes a lot of effort to understand
>Deep knowledge of contemporary military doctrine and of all the equipment at play required in order to excel, if you send the wrong guns Against the wrong tanks you will get wrecked
>Physics are generally amazing but not perfect, the fact that tank tracks can dig deep into soft ground is great unless it results in tomb-stoning
>There can be long periods of relative inactivity, this is not a game you can play for a quick fix (except in 'Come to battle mode' which is an arcadey side game), campaigns allow you to replay operations that lasted up to 2-3 days, sometimes playing through the same 2-3 hour time period multiple times at various positions along the front line, it's not all action, but when it does explode into violence it's like nothing else in terms of sheer ferocity and intensity.

I think it's a masterpiece, flawed and imperfect but an absolute gem from a tiny team, if you like your military themed gaming dry, realistic and historically accurate then there is nothing else out there that can hope to compete, it's kino as fuck, can deliver some of the most dramatic and even traumatic battlefield experiences in gaming, but it requires the player to invest time and effort, not something everyone is either prepared or able to do.
>>
File: hjklhj.jpg (44 KB, 1728x945)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
No game I played managed to suck me in like this game, I have memories from battles that are seared into my brain, some of them are just snapshots, like a small skirmish where an AT team managed to hold of medium tanks long enough for the reinforcements to arrive, others involve whole campaigns, like the time my depleted forces managed to slog their way through enemy lines and knee deep snow to reach the highway with their supply trucks, this game spins narratives and tells stories like no other, and the player can be put into so many different types of situation, the sheer variety of tactical challenges that are thrown up is astonishing, every battle teaches you valuable lessons and each campaign is an education. Win or lose every time you play you gain experience and understanding, and if you are able to extract the right lessons you will get better at commanding limited resources in the fraught conditions of the Eastern Front.
>>
>>898356
Are Gravitrannies the Rick and Morty fans of the RTS world?
>>
>>898377
Nah, that would be historical Total Wartards
>>
>>898377
They are Life is Strange fans of the RTS world.
>>
>>898377
nah, that's Eugenfans
>>
File: 1284918261289.png (300 KB, 671x613)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
>>898356
tfw no larger dynamic campaign
>>
File: punished.jpg (64 KB, 1856x985)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
night_postman's mod just had an upgrade

https://steamcommunity.com/app/312980/discussions/0/1642041106353358037/
>>
Never had a campaign without the AI opponent completely ruining it. It's something incomprehensible.

> Let's keep randomly driving our main armored force under heavy AT fire for minutes until it's all incapacitated.

>Let's expend all our infantry in the first battle by leaving perfectly defensible positions and marching into MG fire for 20 minutes

Long story short, AI generally can't harm you without your consent. Good thing for autismo power fantasy, bad thing for a simulation game.
>>
>>898414
>t. minmaxing fantasy faggot
>>
The AI is shit, so by extension the game is shit.
Once you have won the battle of "understanding the unintuitive UI" you no longer lose unless you want to lose.

Its scale is nice, and it allows for a quite nice cinematic experience. Although here too the AI tries to thwart your fun in my experience. The immersive cinematic experience is quickly ruined when an entire column of tanks drives into the woods, gets stuck, does a little dance to get unstuck, then literally reverses uphill into your AT positions. Not that this happens all the time, but it happens often enough to be too often in my experience.

I find the game best suited for screenshots and short clips/webms, at which point it arguably stops being a game and it starts feeling more like some sort of WW2 editor/sandbox for setpieces.
>>
>>900444
The AI can't read your mind, they can try to guess where the player units are, when they know where they are they won't charge towards AT guns with their tanks unless they have superiority in numbers or they are caught in the open. If you think its too easy just play the hardest campaigns.
>>
>>900449
No, I am just talking about straight up wonky AI actions. You don't drive tanks up a hill in reverse.

Most of the time the AI seems to follow the starcraft protoss mantra of combat tactics: 1A
>>
File: girl_ist_panzer.png (208 KB, 540x524)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
anyone who complains about bad AI is an npc irl with single digit hours in the game
and anyone who complains about the UI pirated the game
the battle AI is unironically god tier and there are constant updates rolling out.

real life battles didn't happen optimally according to this strange semi-historic idealist fantasy autists on this board have in their heads.

anyways, I'm here to get my dick sucked, such is the best part of graviteam threads.
>>
>>898357
The UI is not counterintuitive, it's just shit. Graviteam also suffers from the classic Eastern Bloc strategy game issue, which is concentrating a lot of resources into tank autism and neglecting infantry combat near totally. I mean, come on. Close Combat managed compelling infantry combat with 2D paint graphics and Combat Mission did it with Lego men with cardboard weapons, no reason Russians couldn't do the same.
>>
>>901206
>the battle AI is unironically god tier
toptier fantasium, it quite literally just grabs all its units and attack moves into objectives with teribble pathfinding to boot, ensuring the entire thing turns into clowncar silliness.

You make it sound like the shit the AI pulls can be put down to the chaos and blundering historically found on these battlefields. It isn't, it is just the typical dumb AI/pathfinding shittery that you find in pretty much every single other RTS game.
>>
>>901216
>uffers from the classic Eastern Bloc strategy game issue
This x1000. So tiring to see yet another russiaboo have so much content made, and all of it be the same fucking tanks on plains and steppes. The eastern equivalent of every western WW2 game covering fucking Normandy.
>>
>>898377
They're the Gooch Grundy’s X-Decathlon fans of the RTS world.
>>
File: image0.jpg (29 KB, 800x465)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>901206
>stop complaining just consoom
>retarded ai is realistic you don't get it
holy cope
>>
>>901216
>Russians
Ukrainians. Russians do know how to make a good strategy game and not just a bloat of mechanics for the sake of it. Case in point: K-D Lab and MiST Land South/GFI Russia.
>>
Incredible game, AI is as good as anything else out there, flawed and imperfect sure, but that's AI for you, considering the amount of depth and detail these games have I think the AI is an incredible achievement from a tiny developer.

Also poor understanding of how to issue commands and when and where to use certain modifiers will result in batty AI behaviour, but that's purely down to the player.
>>
File: ai.jpg (161 KB, 640x940)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
Critics of the AI BTFO by the famously fiery dev

https://steamcommunity.com/app/312980/discussions/0/3198117849816101047/
>>
>Regiments, a game made by 1 man, unironically has better AI than this game made by an entire team
Fucks sake, Graviteam just can't win.
>>
>>901216
>which is concentrating a lot of resources into tank autism and neglecting infantry combat near totally
This, im so tired of tank-wank
>>
>>901318
Team of 2-3 boomer hohols.

>>901302
https://www.youtube.com/c/Tonci87/videos
Boomer ramblings btfo by someone actually playing the game. Chouigui Pass Campaign specifically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KulMTweJMa0&t=3963s
Like wtf is going on minutes 40 to 46th? A pz III for some reason leaves a dominating position which allowed it to rekt a couple of stuarts and starts driving somewhere while receiving gunfire from several directions. No reaction, no manuevering, effectively no returning fire, just driving somewhere. And then the retarded standoff around 46th minute mark. What even is this? Lol the enemies don't work in this game.
>>
>>901334
Combat Mission gets away with having just a tactical AI because the devs said "fuck it, no AI ever made can do proper fire and movement" and just preplanned the AI. Graviteam devs should look into that. I get it, making an AI for a realistic game is straight up an impossible task. An AI that can set up killzones and preplan fire missions is one step away from Skynet anyway.
>>
>>901268
Normany can be pretty poggers, but I want the Ardennes campaign.
>>
>>901266
>it quite literally just grabs all its units and attack moves into objectives
it literally, does not
read the manual and play a campaign lol
>>
File: Untitled.png (268 KB, 669x248)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>901448
Sorry to break it to you, my guy, but AI in GTMF is utter shit, among the worst that I've seen in strategy games. Shame, really. It would be fun as fuck in MP.
>>
>>898357
>Counter intuitive UI
I've never understood this one, I thought the UI, especially giving orders was super easy to grasp
>>
>>901448
I played them all, and the only conclusion I can come to from that, is that I am fucking retarded for buying them over and over expecting something different and improved.
The AI was shit back then, it is shit now. I am sure he has worked on improving it, but it doesn't show, so he might as well have not bothered.
The only thing the AI is consistent in, is sending its units into a turkeyshoot killzones to be slaughtered.

I get it, AI is fucking hard to do. Just don't expect people to swoon over your game when you make it reliant on something that will essentially always be shit by definition, at least with our current tech.

Combat mission is a more enjoyable game in that regard, and its because it recognizes doing AI is fucking impossible currently, so it circumvents the problem by not having a 100% freeform tactical AI.
>>
I had some kino moments on combat mission using excel for dynamic campaigns back in the day
I had some kino moments on Graviteam Tactics playing some campaigns
You enjoy these games because you are autistic so you get amazed by the immersion and the shit happening
I had the same feeling when exploring on Elite Dangerous, let me say that exploring on ED requires 0 skill, literally zero, but the wallpaper generator and the schizo storyline you create for yourself is all worth it
If you want competitiveness and outplaying a human player you can always just play SD2 in 1v1 or playing a fighting game
>>
File: 184121.jpg (343 KB, 1080x1300)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>901582
>>901699
go into the settings and turn on enemy visibility
you can easily watch the paperclip ai move around and execute all sorts of different plans. your views on how the game interacts with you is wrong, it's doing a lot more than you think. Surely you just copied this opinion from elsewhere and didn't really come to the conclusion the ai attack moves everything yourself, surely you can't be this ignorant of something as simple as how a game plays.
>>
>>902103
All those "plans" amount to nothing and are in effect the same as "1A".
I have seen the AI throw arty on its own arty units. I have seen it charge several squads over open ground to get mown down by multiple MGs crossfiring, only for it to then send more squads moments later. I have seen it destroy its own tanks by them being in each other's line of fire (point blank firing into friendly tanks' asses). I have seen it drive soft vehicles into areas I have incendiaried. Tanks rushing into wooded areas that I have filled with dug in infantry, without infantry support of its own.

Honestly, you have to be fucking lobotomized to lose, and the only time you will is while figuring out the UI and mechanics (manual is ukranian Engrish).

The game is best played in campaigns in which you are on a hard offensive and the AI is doing nothing but defending positions, giving it very little to fuck up. Something like mius front played from the Russian side, but even then the AI as German will do dumb shit like use its super duper extremely limited AT capability in offensive maneuvers for no real reason (losing platoon of marders on the first turn, fucking retarded)
>>
>>902122
I'm sorry this game doesn't follow your ideal war fantasy
>>
>>902136
Nobody expects it to. I simply expect to have an AI that doesn't do its best to break immersion and form no challenge whatsoever.
Vid related and shit like it, that is too say AI/Pathfinding bullshit, happens far too fucking often:

https://youtu.be/hPLk995yReo?t=2365

Show me these great plans and tactical decisions the AI in your game is making (or in a youtube vid for all I care). Hell, show me an AI managing to anything more than A-moving into objectives.

The game is hardly a game, this >>901925 is a more honest and accurate description of graviteam games.
>>
>>902136
How is not wanting a completely retarded AI the same as wanting an ideal war fantasy? Is that what my ask is?
Not wanting an AI wasting all its squads charging the same MG positions over and over is the same as wanting an ideal war fantasy?
Wanting to play against an AI that doesn't completely obliterate itself with its own arty, before I even get the chance to do it myself, is the same as wanting an ideal war fantasy?

I don't want or need perfect AI performing 5D chess mindgames on me, I just want it to be an obstacle of some degree at least. More often then not it is undermining itself, which should be my fucking 'job' as its opponent.
>>
why do you guys act like the AI is supposed to be amazing? I bet you entitled people think unions are good
>>
>>902122
>I have seen the AI throw arty on its own arty units. I have seen it charge several squads over open ground to get mown down by multiple MGs crossfiring, only for it to then send more squads moments later. I have seen it destroy its own tanks by them being in each other's line of fire (point blank firing into friendly tanks' asses). I have seen it drive soft vehicles into areas I have incendiaried. Tanks rushing into wooded areas that I have filled with dug in infantry, without infantry support of its own.
Thats pretty realistic honestly.
All of those things happened pretty often on eastern front.
>>
Great game, not for everyone and thank God for that, but those who do get it know what it is.
>>
>>902156
>to anything more than A-moving into objectives.

For one they won't even move towards objectives if they don't have enough soldiers, second the AI does probe attacks and doesn't just send the entirety of their army on attack especially if they don't have the numbers, third i've seen the AI use terrain skillfully many times, like tanks trying to flank guns that they spotted by using the top of a hill as a cover.
>>902167
In all the times that i played Graviteam i saw only once the AI trying to overpower a strong defensive position by using just infantry, they did that because they had a lot more soldiers than me.
>>
File: yang-sipping-stops.jpg (92 KB, 960x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Graviteam is an alright babbie's first strategy sim. It has pretty graphics, undemanding learning curve, a well known setting, and even a child can outplay the AI - a very good entry point in the genre for RTS and goi$ players. The problem is that it's too newcomer friendly, so players refuse to advance to more sophisticated and demanding games and get forever stuck "watching WW2 epic war kino". While players who actually like the genre play a vast variety of games, the graviteam bunch copy pastes the same arguments for years while larping as adepts of the best sim ever.
>>
>>902621
Name a better WW2 RTS that isn't arcadey bullshit
>>
>>902585
It would be, if you couldn't tell that it is simply the AI derping. You cann tell its the AI derping because more often than not it will do the typical "shitty orders/pathfinding dance"
>>
>>902603
So you can't show me anything, as expected.
>>
>>898356
in a world where Combat Mission exists, Graviteam is outdated and obsolete
go over to battlefront.com and buy Red Thunder, you'll never touch Graviteam again
>>
>>902726
Combat Mission.
>>
>>902726
Command Ops 2
>>
File: 0nf1854kkl751.jpg (193 KB, 750x1125)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>902821
yo check out this vid
>https://youtu.be/hPLk995yReo?t=2365
seems good to me
unironically, even
>>902816
wanna know how I know you don't even know?
>>
>>902934
>https://youtu.be/hPLk995yReo?t=2365
Thats pretty realistic honestly.
All of those things happened pretty often on eastern front.
>>
I think that's the main issue, if you consider the game some kind of solvable boardgame or a simulation of sorts
If you consider some strategy games as a boardgame, you try to have an AI that tries to exploit the mechanics of the game to its fullest
If you consider the game a simulation of sorts, you want the AI to make decisions based on uncertainty but never really exploiting completely everything
For example those videos of the AI acting weird... Well there are tons of reports of tank crews doing really stupid shit, for example in the Tigers in the Mud book, even if the book is wehraboo'y the author still gives examples of really stupid tank crews blowing themselves up. One of the stories is about a JagdTiger that went up to a hill to shoot some shermans, and the tank crewmen panicked and instead of rolling back they went sideways and exposed the side and backs of the tank at some at guns that were pointblank in front of them along the shermans, then once the tank started cooking nobody could escape because they got in the way of each other while trying to get out of the tank

So again, I feel CM and Graviteam offer good simulation of sorts with genuine situations, but they don't have an AI that tries to exploit the game to the fullest, its authentic enough to give memorable experiences, but for competitiveness its better to play an arcade game against players, however the game will have some cheesy shit that is just completely unbelievable as a result
>>
>>902853
>>902846
yikes, looks like neither of those games have threads. Could it be because they're pieces of shit who have to parasitically latch on to every Graviteam thread that comes around?
>>
>>902962
That happens pretty often in my games of steel fury kharkov too
>>
File: (you).png (197 KB, 558x491)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>903098
Have a (You), based retard.
>>
>>898356
How do I learn to play this without watching literally 8 hours of tutorials by some monotone goober on Youtube?
>>
>>903204
CM: Overpriced, unfinished, bloated, doesn't run on modern PCs, clunky outdated controls (even worse than GT), worse graphics, worse AI, less detailed simulation, more expensive

I could go on
>>
I played Graviteam for a week. It has the potential to be fun but is highly Russiaboo and the baffling behavior of its mechanics comes with no real instruction. You just have to experience how weird it is in order to have a 'real' playthrough later. Ie: Calling in a plane for air support and they don't show up for 15 real-time minutes. Meaning you pretty much should call them in immediately at the start of the round and hope you're in a position to use them effectively thereafter. Things like that.
>>
>>898357
The cons
>German artillery and tanks utterly useless against Russian tanks in all situations, always
>>
>>902846
Combat Mission is unintentional jank, and its fanbase rags on Graviteam because it does what CM can't: intentional jank.
>>
>>902621
>The problem is that it's too newcomer friendly, so players refuse to advance to more sophisticated and demanding games
This reeks of someone who played a single operational turn, watched the tactical mode for 5 minutes, and thinks they mastered the game. You've probably never played an operation all the way through, let alone one that's 17 turns.
GT filters microfags the most, because they either had one good micro and don't realize that will end up being 5% of the battle operationally, or their micros inevitably go to shit because units getting confused and the accumulation of chaos is part of the game, and they hate it. GT is about big picture goals and adapting.
>>
>>901355
>combat mission
>good
now this is bait
>>
>>903436
Do the 7 turn campaign that comes with Mius Front a couple times
>>
>>903529
Thanks fella
>>
File: fghf.jpg (137 KB, 1180x619)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>902962
Let's take a proper look at this...
>Enemy drives straight into armoured column
>Friendlies all around
>They see it, that is clear from the turrets following it, but there's clearly confusion, as you'd expect in such a situation
>Within a minute it's taken out with no losses to friendly forces

What is so terrible about the way that played out? You can here the ADHD in the streamers voice as he expects an RTS type instakill, but you have to think about it, there's a lot of dust being kicked up, these armoured units have very limited optics, literal slits that are best for viewing over middle to long distances when stationary, something that close driving past would be almost impossible to even positively identify, like trying to identify the make and model of a truck that speeds past your front door while peering through the letterbox, then you have to weigh up the risk involved in engaging the enemy with so many comrades around and in extreme close proximity, not to mention selection of correct ordinance and possible reloading and re calibrating of the sights, all of which is simulated in this game.

The fact is that there was no bad behaviour by the AI in that situation at all, it was dealt with just about as well as could be expected in real life, almost text book if you're going to be hyperbolic about it.
>>
>>903765
I've only played like an hour of Graviteam so I dunno shit but it looks like a clear case of a disconnect between the omniscient player and the unit AI
Sure, a real-life person inside those Pz 3s will have trouble seeing what the fuck is going on. But I don't, I can clearly see a T-34 driving right into my column. What's the point of giving the player perfect sight if he can't use it?
>>
File: soyjak.png (222 KB, 600x598)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>stop complaining just consoom
>retarded ai is realistic you don't get it
>>
File: 1514829999777.jpg (26 KB, 680x453)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>play our shitty 2d tile games right now!!!!
>>
>>903789
assuming u have fog of war turned on, u can only seewhat ur units have LOS of. However, if your team as a whole has LOS of an enemy it doesn't mean that each individual unit in ur team has LOS or is even aware of the enemy presence. If a spotter on top of a hill has LOS u will see the enemy, but a unit hiding behind that hill will not know of the enemy unless that unit has a radio link established or verbal comms w/ the unit who does see it. U can tell if ur selected unit has true LOS if u look @ the color of the enemy while they are selected. Enemy units will have a different color when a unit w/ true LOS is selected vs when they are unaware of the enemy (that's why u see the enemy as reds and yellows etc.)
>>
>>903875
But that's exactly the disconnect I talked about. You know perfectly where the enemy unit is and then desperately try to get your units to be able to shoot at it
It's like a halfway point between being an actual general (who doesn't know the exact enemy position) and a regular RTS player (who doesn't have to worry about his units' LOS)
If that had been an ambush with a few T-34s, his column would have been fucked. Actually now that I think about it, the real stupid thing is that the tanks are buttoned up while marching. Can you control that or do they just stay buttoned up?
>>
>>903885
Forgot to say: I should just play more of the game but back when I tried it out for a bit, my (infantry) units also refused to shoot at enemies 3 meters away so I started looking up tutorials
>>
>>903885
>>903888

This video might help ur confusion getting ur infantry to shoot, but the game is slowed down a little in its own abstract way, so even if an enemy is standing right in front of a guy, it may take like 5-10 seconds for them to react by meleeing or throwing a grenade.

It's been a while since I played but if u mean by not "buttoning the tanks" as having the guy stick his head out of the cupula then u might be able to achieve this by selecting a less cautious move order like a regular move or whatever
>>
>>903899
forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kqptl6oU28&list=PLCBrvMbpFquPdqD3PY1DK4PW3CsOoC6PG&index=28
>>
>>903899
Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a long-ass list of grognard games I wanna get into, unfortunately
>but if u mean by not "buttoning the tanks" as having the guy stick his head out of the cupula then u might be able to achieve this by selecting a less cautious move order like a regular move or whatever
Ah I see. And yes, buttoning up a tank means closing all the hatches so you can't get hit by small arms fire
>>
>>898414
Yep
>>
>>898414
touche
>>
File: shit or bust.jpg (181 KB, 1845x703)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>903789
The fact that the enemy units is visible indicates at least one, maybe only one of your units has seen it, but which unit/s? Without the right UI options activated we can't know, but probably not a tank commander plus gunner, at least not at the start.

This is where so many people go wrong with this game, and it is understandable, like you say there's a disconnect between the player and the AI, but that should and could be easily over ridden by simply remembering that it's a simulation rather than an RTS game.

Personally I choose to play the game in a way that stops me feeling these frustrations, I keep the camera down at ground level, always keeping within a short distance of where my units are, i only use binoculars from commanders positions and I elevate the camera according to the eye level of those units, lower in trenches or prone, higher from tank turrets etc.

This increases the authenticity of the experience for me, definitely amplifies immersion and really makes me feel like I'm there with the troops, when something happens like we see in that vid try viewing it from the troops perspective, literally get down in the dirt and look around and you'll see how little sense you can actually extract from the ensuing chaos. Then you don't get so annoyed with the AI for not seeing what you see because you can't see it wither.

TL;DR - Birdseye view is for fags
>>
>>903930
>Personally I choose to play the game in a way that stops me feeling these frustrations, I keep the camera down at ground level
I've tried this and it really puts in to perspective just how vast a battlefield is, how hard units can be to find, and how chaotic things can easily get.
>>
>>903930
And what do you do if you have multiple squads with their own objectives in different parts of the map?
>>
>>903934
bro this isn't starcraft ur not playing koreans w/ 400 apm you have time to move between them and issue orders/assess the situation
>>
>>903935
The point is how do you know when you should switch between units
>>
>>903937
Depends on how detailed the orders were that you gave to the other squad
>45 minutes in to the battle? They should be executing X order
>>
>>903934
I open the map, see where the action is happening, select a unit marker (or alternatively a unit card on the bottom of the screen) then click the eyeglass button which takes me straight to them at eye level. I never see shit from the tree tops. I would love it though if they allowed the cam to lock to aircraft, I would happily make that one solitary exception.
>>
>>903939
As a real commander you would be getting feedback though, not just hoping they're doing their thing
I guess you just check when the game shouts WE ENGAGED THE ENEMY at you?
>>903940
huh
>>
>>903941
>I guess you just check when the game shouts WE ENGAGED THE ENEMY at you?
That could be the equivalent of a runner
>>
The moment I realized Graviteam was more autismal than I thought was when I watched a tutorial and the guy deployed his troops but then went "no we have to go to eye level to make sure they actually have line of sight of the deployment area"
>>
>>903941
oh I guess ur asking how do u know when u become under attack. You can easily hear gunfire erupting, plus you can just zoom out and ur units will have little engagement indicators above them I think, plus you also get a pop up notification that ur under fire
>>
>>903944
Naw I was asking how this specific anon does it in his immersed playstyle
>>
File: stay with me brother.jpg (224 KB, 1628x759)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Sometimes I watch small isolated incidents and moments in this game and almost feel ashamed, think of the 99% that goes completely unnoticed, out of sight, in quiet forgotten corners of the battlefield.
>>
File: assault on korotich.jpg (352 KB, 1780x1076)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
8 March 1943 17:00
Time to hit the town
>>
File: Plan.png (1.56 MB, 1571x851)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
No pissing around here, we have to cover the open ground quickly and establish a foothold in the outskirts of the town. Will send an expedition force to investigate the area to the NE if only to ensure the recon group can't be hit from behind, clear that out or if there's nothing there link up with recon and join the main assault.
>>
File: conditions.jpg (137 KB, 1701x941)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Early evening, dark will cover our advance, al;though the russians are bound to have an abundance of flares and artillery, of which we have none. -7 degrees means potential for mechanical issues with our tanks, and of course the deep snow and ice won't help either.
>>
File: map.png (2.12 MB, 1359x1063)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB PNG
Looking at the layout of the land, very few roads leading into town, obvious choke points and potential for ambush, not to mention land mines. Will use the main road that cuts across the map to move my armour, stretching it out along the road before turnoing to fave the town, probably send pz III's down the road to korotich north but the resr I'mm push across the fields, slow and cumbersome but much greater feild of fire and reduced vulnerability to ambush, will send a smal;l force from the commune on the left towards NW korotich too, but expect serious resistance there, more of a diversionary maneuver designed to take pressure off the main attacking force.
>>
File: Bacher.jpg (88 KB, 1090x992)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
We have 33 tanks, mostly pzIII's but some IV's and II's too, will use the II's primarily as scouts and to draw enemy fire in order to count the enemy guns. Over 1300 men, mostly SS panzer grenadiers, we have high quality troops and hardware, well trained, highly motivated and with great leadership, but we face similarly invested and very well entrenched Russians with possible air support and definite artillery support in abundance, we are going to take a hell of a pounding here no matter what. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Meet Oberleutnant Neils Bacher, he's got a proper shift in front of him, no pressure.
>>
>>904242
>trigger discipline wasn't invented yet
>>
File: prep.png (1.36 MB, 1272x873)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
Deployment complete and initial orders are set, give the battlegroup in the north 45 minutes to investigate the farmstead, then it's all forces to converge upon the primary objective.
>>
File: sweep.jpg (189 KB, 1794x995)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Already the ominous sound of heavy artillery rounds coming from the south, but so far in the north all is quiet.
>>
File: pzg.jpg (120 KB, 1300x971)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Meanwhile Bacher spreads his tanks and panzergrens along the main road that stretches in front of the town
>>
File: CONVOY.jpg (101 KB, 1586x894)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>
File: march.jpg (148 KB, 1693x823)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>
File: sitrep.png (1.14 MB, 1566x777)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>
File: aktion.png (611 KB, 855x604)
611 KB
611 KB PNG
First contact!

We found the Russins tripwire, at the crossroads there is what appears to be a smallish force with entrenched units on either side of the road, there is also some as yet unidentified field artillery in the orchards to the south.
Vanguard tanks have popped smoke and the infantry has already began dispersing throughout the treeline looking for cover, the recon force can be seen just up ahead and their lead PzIII has already been immobilized, perhaps by mortart fire, although the crew and weapons systems remain intact.

We are relying on speed, we can't give them time to zero in on our units, so the order has been given for both battlegroups to assault the trenches and heavy weapons teams while we still have something of a numbers advantage.
>>
>>904294
Keep up with the AAR anon, this is pretty interesting. What's the damage on the Panzer III?
>>
File: upfdate 1.png (2.31 MB, 1891x1066)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB PNG
>>904519
Just woke up, will continue with this a bit later, Pz III is now back in action, it may have been temporarily stuck, or maybe had light damage which has been repaired, both recon pz III's are moving along the road towards the crossroads which we now 'possess' (although enemies are still present) where they'll hold position with the infantry while the main force assaults the positions identified from the opposite direction.

More enemy positions have been
>>
File: ambush2.jpg (166 KB, 1878x941)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
The ambush at the crossroads has at least a couple of AT guns, but with SS units coming at them from two directions and wioth them being cut off from their main stronghold it should be a farily simple matter to silence them, so far no tanks have sustained damage but the Soviets position is well entrenched and I expect to sustain some losses during the assault.
>>
File: exchanging blows.jpg (147 KB, 1780x1001)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>
Just spotted the first of the enemies armoured units, 2 light tanks at the crossroads and an as yet unseen tank moving up the road from Korotich. The lead tanks from the main assault have been ordered to take the road left away from the town to bring their guns onto the entrenched tanks rear, assuming the get there quickly and don't recieve any hits to their sides they should deal with this threat quite easily.

Recon is setting up a defensive shield to cover the enemy forces in the SE and the tank plus whatever else is coming up the road, the main force continues down the highway ready to attack anything they see.
>>
File: 2 to 1.png (3.16 MB, 1708x1779)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB PNG
That tank coming up the road was a T-34, it came at speed and knocked out two of the vanguard tanks, one permanently, however the recon Pz III managed to get a few shots into it's turret and it looks like the fuel tank exploded.

The two light tanks have been taken out and the crossroads is now secure.
>>
File: across the track.jpg (120 KB, 1317x731)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Meanwhile on the west side of the town our second assault group is exchanging blows across the railway tracks, they'll move onto the enemy in a few minutes, the farmstead has been secured too and those forces are moving towards recon position from where they'll stage an assault on the SE defences once they get their breath back
>>
File: it begins.jpg (127 KB, 1728x576)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
The western force crosses the tracks, light tanks first in order to draw enemy fire and help us hain a clearer picture of what lays ahead, support teams are already setting yp to rain down mortar and MG fire on any defensive positions
>>
File: north.jpg (181 KB, 1374x808)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
Slight change oif plan in the north, while Bachers forces mount their assault on the northern edge, the recon force use the cover of the orchard to move up into the buildings overlooking the SE enemy entrenchments, from here they'll be better placed to support Jegels Farmstead expeditionary force when they fall upon those positions to their SE
>>
>>898356
Every single fucking Gravitranny thread devolves into screenshot larping, which I think is the strongest argument that there's no real substance to the game.
>>
File: development.png (2.11 MB, 1696x1059)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
A fascinating development, the Russians upon seeing our forces moving into the hoses, have sent a force out of the town in what looks like and attempt to outflank us. Obviously they don't know about the Farmstead force moving their way, nor do they know about the reserve force that is currently moving down that main highway, but regardless a sneaky move and one that could have caused real problems, it gives though an opportunity, hammer and anvil type trapo can be laid where that force finds itself hopelessly caught between our jaws.

On the west side our forces have so far met with little resystance, but the real drama will unfold in the narrow roads and when our tanks are in among the buildings, no doubt stashes of molovs are already being broken out.
>>
File: into the maze.jpg (237 KB, 1870x1009)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>
File: hammer.jpg (321 KB, 1901x1029)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>
File: Anvil.jpg (341 KB, 1716x961)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: acceptance.jpg (256 KB, 1770x973)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>
File: CQC.jpg (125 KB, 1475x1044)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>
File: endgame.jpg (117 KB, 1556x540)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
18:15

All keypoints are ours, there are still pockets of resistance, mainly in the town but also to the north, especially in the orchards.

We have sustained heavy losses as expected, but overall the operation is going well. No doubt as we push deeper into the town we will meet more stiff resistance, and there are soviet reinforcements on the way, so the race is on to clear as much of the urban area as we can in order to establish defensive positions and withstand the coming counter attack.
>>
File: results.png (1.99 MB, 1703x3004)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB PNG
We had massive superiority in terms of men and machines, but they had the benefit of defensive posture complete with minefields, entrenchments, artillery support and plenty of ability to stop armour within the confined spaces of the town, however ultimately we did well sustaining acceptable losses. The next turn will be much more of a test, our units will be tired, supplies will be less abundant and the enemy defences far more concentrated. A good start but in this game that couns for little.
>>
File: results.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>904679
Graviteam has potential to have substance to it, but this potential is ruined by not having MP or non-retarded AI. There is plenty of cool mechanics (a ton of bugs too), but you don't need to even be aware of any of them to absolutely roll over the enemy.
>>
>>904756
>just over 2 KDR
is that good
>>
File: kek.jpg (372 KB, 2560x1440)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
>>904760
It's alright.
>>
File: lol.png (1.12 MB, 792x685)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>904679
>Every thread about this game on this strategy gaming focused image board, ends up containing images and accounts of strategy gameplay WTF!!!

It has plenty of substance, it's just that it's lack of gamey mechanics can feel like bugs and design flaws - to retards.
>>
File: bush_los2.jpg (936 KB, 2560x1440)
936 KB
936 KB JPG
>lack of gamey mechanics
This is what retarded gravitrannies actually believe.
>>
File: blind.png (1.09 MB, 1920x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>lack of gamey mechanics
"Gravitranny" is a very fitting term. Both RL trannies and gravitrannies are totally consumed by their delusions. They straight up ignore gamey shit even when the dev himself says that he indeed added gamey shit.
>>
>>904802
>>904780
What are some games with no gamey mechanics?
>>
File: visibility.png (133 KB, 624x382)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>lack of gamey mechanics
I like it when Andrey himself absolutely btfos gravitards.
>>
File: los_hill.jpg (385 KB, 1920x1080)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
You don't understand, bros. When units see and engage enemies obstructed by a fucking hill - it's not a bug, it's lack of gamey mechanics.
>>
Answer the question
>>
>>904825
Your question is irrelevant. A gravitard made up a lie to try to present his beloved game as a diamond with no flaws - something gravitards love to do. His lies were exposed for everyone to see. Cute attempts at deflection won't help.
>>
>>904825
VBS 2
>>
>>904833
why are you seething so hard? Did the game spit you out?
>>
He can't even name a game that doesn't have gamey mechanics lel
>>904836
Hm I doubt the enemy behaves perfectly realistically even in those training sims
>>
>>904839
I don't like shills, and gravitards are the most obnoxious shills I've seen. The game itself is alright.
>>
>>904859
But you're the only obnoxious poster in here
>>
>>904861
That's just another one of your delusions.
>>
File: 1s1kis.jpg (81 KB, 423x600)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>904780
>>904802
>>904815
>>904821
here's a few (you)'s
now put on your thinking cap and look at what you posted pls
you are a legitimate retard, completely unaware of yourself lol
>>
Why do CMtards always show up in these threads? Just go and start your own ffs, imagine taking time out of your day to tell people you don't know about stuff you don't like, beyond retarded.
>>
>>904947
what's CM, precious?
>>
>>904821
>what are radios
>what is arcing fire
confirmed dummythicc
>>
>>904947
Because they know their shit game would be even more poorly received than they attempt to make graviteam be
>>
>>904947
Real CMtards play both and acknowledge that both games have different focus.
>>
Any truth to the rumours that they are planning on making a Falklands war game?
>>
File: Capture12.png (47 KB, 1879x178)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
Today I will remind them
>>
>>905384
I don't know anything about the Falklands game, but it is confirmed they are making an Iran-Iraq war DLC for Mius Front :)
>>
>>904947
CMtards cannot even post screenshots of their game without being laughed out of the thread, much less video.
Every single complaint they have about GT goes double for CM, from braindead AI that results in soldiers that should be fighting each other sitting in the same room (while squads from BOTH sides shoot into that room they saw their allies JUST enter) to units looking like they're not seeing things they should see (because CM has zero helper tools while GT does)

The only thing CM has over GT is multiplayer, but when the rest of the game is such trash it doesn't really matter, especially when it barely receives updates while GT is constantly evolving such as with the new artillery system.
>>
File: Untitled.png (20 KB, 884x130)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Today I will remind them
>>
>>905910
Gravitrannies are unironically the worst posters on this site. Holy shit, no wonder they were ran off /vg/.
>>
>>905917
I'm an avid Combat Mission fan and cuckoldry enthusiast, and I agree.
>>
>>905910
>>905917
>>905920
>>>/vst/
Really though, make a combat mission thread so the whole board can laugh at you as much as we do
>>
Combat Mission is the better game. But Graviteam nonetheless does a lot of exciting things.
>>
>>905841
Based and truth pilled
>>
>>905890
Did someone say video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_KDhxdRFg
>>
Why zoomers get triggered by AAR's? it's a staple of 2000's kino forums shitposting, back in the days you would have dedicated AAR threads filled with screenshots and schizo roleplay
>>
>>906380
NPC's larping as autists
>>
Gravitrannies are the Rick and Morty fans of the RTS world, and I say RTS instead of Wargame because honestly, Graviteam doesn't portray real war. It's a movie game larping as a wargame.
>>
>>907280
the visual novel of RTS games
>>
File: neo.png (472 KB, 622x768)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
>>907291
lol yea you right.
>>
File: 1631680246641.gif (506 KB, 250x195)
506 KB
506 KB GIF
>>907291
>>907295
>>907280
>>905920
>>905917
>>905910
>>
File: snow storm.jpg (172 KB, 1881x970)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Great to see this game popping up occasionally on this board, grossly misunderstood and under appreciated title, just started playing the second part of 'Raid', kino af, perfect for playing in the winter especially here where it's snowing hard, look out the window and I see a landscape not too dissimilar to those depicted on the monitor.
>>
>>905920
That's kind of weird. Can't be a coincidence. I'm big into swinger stuff and cuckoldry, and a lot of the guys I've met at parties happen to be big into similar games. Definitely Combat Mission. Even did a Combat Mission LAN party while our wives were busy. It's kinda obscure in the grand scheme of things. Any other Combat Mission fans can attest?
>>
>>909304
Are you from around Phoenix? I thought that anon was just trolling, but I went to a duck/swinger party and we played Combat Mission.
>>
>>909653
cuck/swinger*
>>
File: 1600651201711.jpg (59 KB, 1024x885)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>898356
>new artillery update
>>
Whoever has the last 3 Mius Front DLC should upload the contents of their addon folder to a friendly hosting service
>>
>>910850
imagine being so poor you have to beg for small parcels of a videogame online
>>
>>911046
imagine being so poor that you have to posture about money on 4chan
>>
>>911047
>begs for free stuff on a videogame forum
>someone points out that this is pathetic
>n-n-no actually you're poor
lmaoing @ ur life
>>
>>911046
I noticed that a lot of gravishills pirate the game. I guess they believe that shilling the game here is more than enough support for the developer on their part.
>>
>>910850
What funny is IF new DLC add new unit it added into base game Only operation itself that require DLC to play
>>
the only torrent of the game doesn't have the ui update, is this why so many here complain about it?
>>
>>911063
>I noticed that a lot of gravishills pirate the game.
combatrannies really can't just leave these threads alone lmao
>>
>>911049
>he doesn't pirate everything regardless of economic status
>he shills about the moral value of paying off multinational corporations and bankers on 4chan
>for free
>>
>if you own a business you're an evil international corporate banker
commies really made a mistake absorbing these retarded troons
>>
lol it's an indie dev mad his shitty game got pirated
>>
>>911171
Rent free.
>>
File: 20210715173446_1.jpg (554 KB, 1920x1080)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
>>911194
I'm shattered
>>
>>911191
>devs of graviteam are a multinational corporation
l m a o p o o r
m
a
o
p
o
o
r
>>
>>911171
Eh, Combatrannies doesn't really come out well when you pronounce it. Gravitrannies sounds good when you say it.
Try Combatards instead.
>>
>>911209
It's clear the combatrannies have the autistic obsession with this game
>>
>>911209
Neither one works because it just sounds like they're into combat
Clearly the solution is Combat Mishits
>>
>>911209
Cuckbat Mission, from the sounds of it.
>>
>>911218
>>911943
These are both solid. A good insult needs to roll off the tongue. Take Gravitranny for example, all the syllables lean into each other. It's fun to say.
>>
Guys, I finally managed to stop playing this game
it's really quite good, a few hundred hours between the two and I still haven't solved most the campaigns
the krauts in peleshi and krasnaya polyana have been my favorite

>>911063
>>911171
>>911209
>>911216
>>911218
>>911943
>>911950
cringe
>>
>>912514
the english r gr8 fun if u have tunisia
>>
>>911159
Are you okay?
>>
>>913411
That was a perfectly understandable ESL sentence and not stroke-y at all
>>
Any torrent with the latest dlcs?
>>
>>913888
poor
>>
File: YES.jpg (129 KB, 1600x900)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>913893
>>
Playing Tunisia. I'm relatively new to the game. This battle went fairly well so far, infantry charges repelled but now a full tank force is charging my positions and my units are in disarray. My 4-vehicle anti tank team is in retreat and can't really cope with the german tank fire anyway. Other than that i only have infantry units with no real anti tank capabilities but we are holed down in bunkers and should be difficult to be eliminated. Anyway, with so many german tanks the situation looks really dire. Is it now the right move to withdraw? And is there any way before hand to know what units my opponent is bringing? I feel a bit helpless.
>>
File: 20220115021158_1.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>915339
and forgot the screenshot like a retard
>>
I really tried to like this game. It is a good game, but the UI just kills it for me. I remember I was playing an Angola scenario in one of the DLC. I was super hyped about moving my troops behind a ditch and sneaking by the enemy, then I couldn't figure out how to use a TOW. Shit really fucking sucked. In Close Combat it's just click and drag and you can either do it or you can't based on certain circumstances. but nooooooo Graviteam Tactics has to be all fucking convoluted about it.
>>
>>915339
>>915341
Graviteam isn't a zero sum game. Think like a commander, not an RTS player. If your units are getting aimlessly killed, withdraw. There are reasons you might not, like delay. And sometimes a good in paper goes to shit anyway.
>>
>>915466
>then I couldn't figure out how to use a TOW
Did you figure it out or did you hit that one roadblock and it threw you completely off from the game?
>>
>>915499
What i wonder is: is there even a way to counter tanks without heavy weapons? are the panzers at this time immune to mg fire or can i perhaps immobolize and damage a bunch of tanks as long as my position is relatively safe from their fire? (spread out trenches and lots of mg weapons)
>>
File: 9y1da0wwc2l21.jpg (69 KB, 854x754)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>915763
Just use your anti tank rocks
>>
File: 20220115154642_1.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1080)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
lord have mercy
>>
>>915763
yes, all armor have a 'sights quality' that's affected by lots of things. if the tanks aren't buttoned up, you can get lucky and snipe the driver / commander. the after battle screen can show what bullets did any damage to the tanks, such as small arms fire taking out a headlight or a or cracking some optics. magdumping at tanks and praying is a bad idea though.
just be autistic about terrain and know what range and angle your at guns need against certain tanks.
>>
>>
>>915884
Schizo AI
>>
>>915861
Range and terrain is huge for understanding tanks. That's why Tunisia has that ballistics thing to show you angles, etc. It's very easy to get utterly wiped against heavier tanks while you have smaller guns with lighter tanks. But inversely, a swarm of light tanks can overtake a smaller unit of heavy tanks at close range. It's about maneuver. But not rapid instant gratification kind.
Say you're on an open field with all your armor pretty close, and decide "I will now tactically flank," and perform a rapid flanking order. Chances are you'll simply be spotted then shot at, and it will negate what you were going for. You need to consider the enemy's own sighting capabilities, range, how engaged they are, and how cohesive they are (which isn't particularly an obvious "number"). This is why sometimes mere infantry artillery can help against armor, because it can be a suppressing and confusing element while the actual AT weapons do their job.
>>
>>916652
>a swarm of light tanks can overtake a smaller unit of heavy tanks
But I should mention: that depends a lot on the kinds of tanks, so you should know a little bit about the different models you have vs. what they might have.
>>
>>915884
Did that grass get set on fire by the force of braking?
Maybe this game isn't so bad
>>
Why are the devs so allergic to late war?
All this time, Operation Star and Mius Front and they still haven't done anything for 1944+. I want my T-34/85s and IS-2s
>>
>>917436
Because Germans would instantly win every time
>>
>>917440
Why? The tigers and panthers in korotich drive all across the map as retardedly as any other AI controlled tank while being fired from all sides.
>>
>>917436
1942 the war was still undecided
by 1944 the germans were so demoralized that anything that happens in videogames is literal fan fiction
just read something like tigers on the mud, germans really had it rough from late 1943 and mutiny was a real probability every single month
>>
>>917820
Because their tanks would smash everything if the game doesn't model them breaking down every 10 steps
>>
File: 20220117182951_1.jpg (529 KB, 2560x1440)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
What a massive battle, with three battlefields taking place. i'm at a clear numerical disadvantage and most of my tanks were damaged at the onset. So far its been going well though. I lured the opponent into the Lessouda and then swarmed the place with my infantry. I think their infantry is getting annihilated. What you guys also refrained from telling me, despite me asking two times about Infantry vs. Tanks effectiveness, is how incredibly lethal infantry is at close range, swarming them with molotovs and AT grenades. My troops on the left hid in the trenches and are now swarming the opponents tank group, while my reversed 3 tanks are picking off their advancing infantry. God, i love this game
>>
>>898357
>I think it's a masterpiece
A game with "Zero balancing" is not capable of being a masterpiece.
>>
>>918999
life is the biggest masterpiece and it has zero balance
>>
>>919000
God isn't real, however.
>>
>>919000
>>918999
>two trips in a row
>zero balance gets zero
>masterpiece gets 9 after calling out zero
scary schizo shit
>>
>>918999
How is "do better than real commanders, with the shitty forces they had at the time" not fun as hell
>>
File: incendiary.jpg (1.2 MB, 3840x2160)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>919086
It's only fun if you enjoy hardship and struggle, but if you're fragile and weak and incapable of putting in the effort it's going to be a drag.
>>
Is there any reason as to why the game doesn't simulate ammunition correctly? Vehicles have a shit ton of ammunition in entirely ahistorical manners. Seems to me like the next step to simulate tactical ammunition supply.
>>
>>919086
Because it's too easy in this game. Also OoBs are wrong anyway.
>>
>>919648
How much ammo do they have?
>>
File: advance.jpg (149 KB, 1751x844)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>919648
I know this is bait but fuck it, I'll bite. If there is one thing this game simulates better than any other game in existence it's ammunition, the amounts are based upon reports of the time, every single round and shell is accounted for and supplies get used up the behaviour of units is altered accordingly, as they start to run out they become more cautious etc. Resupply is simulated and even the stocks from whence resupply is drawn are based upon actual historical records.

So yeah, they simulate ammunition correctly. But then you already knew that.
>>
>>919709
>Also OoBs are wrong anyway.
*angry andrey noises*
>>
>>919864
>The armament consisted of one 105 mm M2A1 howitzer (equipped with eight rounds of ammunition) with a single .50 caliber (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine gun (equipped with 300 rounds of ammunition) for local defense.[1][2]

In-game they have 40+ shots
>>
>>919970
Ever heard of reloading
>>
>>919970
the in game encyclopedia is correct, but who knows where all this ammo comes from on the battlefield
I dont think theres physically enough space aboard for so many large rounds
>>
>>920072
Imagine two tiers of shelves each side of the wall with shells held vertically
>>
>>920072
my guess is you'd know if you read the US field manuals related to running artillery (they probably even have one specifically for SPGs), there's no way those things would only fire 8 rounds in one engagement, probably not even in one single barrage.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/PDFs/FM17-63.pdf

Seems that, like with the unmotorized pieces, the ammunition carriers for SPGs are also obfuscated. Each howitzer had its own dedicated ammo carrier (another half-track) and both vehicles also had a towed trailer. Outside of the T19 itself there were two men on the ammo carrier (+ its driver) dedicated to just preparing ammo for the cannoneers. The ammo carrier also had a mounted .30 cal for perimeter defense.

The ammunition itself was stacked in shade by groups of 75 max, and ideally in a trench to reduce risk. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see how much ammo would be given to a single ammunition carrier for movement, my guess is not more than 75 split between the T19, its trailer, the ammo carrier, and its trailer.
>>
>>920182
I don't really care what gets you off
>>
>>920211
>Seems that, like with the unmotorized pieces, the ammunition carriers for SPGs are also obfuscated. Each howitzer had its own dedicated ammo carrier (another half-track) and both vehicles also had a towed trailer. Outside of the T19 itself there were two men on the ammo carrier (+ its driver) dedicated to just preparing ammo for the cannoneers. The ammo carrier also had a mounted .30 cal for perimeter defense.
>The ammunition itself was stacked in shade by groups of 75 max, and ideally in a trench to reduce risk. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see how much ammo would be given to a single ammunition carrier for movement, my guess is not more than 75 split between the T19, its trailer, the ammo carrier, and its trailer.

Thats what my initial post was about. I wish this was simulated as well.
>>
>>920229
100? think u'd be surprised
>>
>>904780
>This kills the gravitranny
>>
File: 1633639513978.gif (697 KB, 512x512)
697 KB
697 KB GIF
>>924034
>another day another 0 combat mission threads
>>
The game is clearly niche, I don't understand why people go apeshit against it, I mean those who play graviteam tactics must be enjoying it, its not like they are pretending or anything
>>
How's Tank Warfare compared to Graviteam Tactics?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/549080/Tank_Warfare_Tunisia_1943/?curator_clanid=3822248
>>
File: t-34 column ambush.webm (2.84 MB, 860x482)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
Because of this thread I will have to reinstall Graviteam even if I suck at it

>>924495
For me personally, it runs like shit compared to normal Graviteam. Don't know why.
>>
File: 20210805_2422.webm (2.89 MB, 1952x1080)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
>>924495
They are the same game and get the same updates (tunisia just gets the updates a couple weeks later)
tunisia goes on sale more often and for less, doesn't get new dlc, and has some easier operations to learn on.
I really dig the African theater more so than some frozen shithole.
FUCK those useless willys jeeps with the backwards facing AT guns though. Most incapable pieces of equipment ever to be trusted on a battlefield.
>>
>>924495
same game, just a different theatre/campaigns. I prefer it cuz afrikakorps/desert rats is fun. Although I'm not sure that the british regiments u play in it are them. Hopefully they add that in the future. Would love to use crusader VI tanks in it
>>
Would love to see graviteam explore western europe. It's just that the game engine, for infantry, is more geared towards open fields. They'd have to adopt squad UI more like CM to pull off the more urban western european theatre I think
>>
>>916708
It's just Eastern European game design. All these neat details nobody else does that amount to jack shit when the rest of the game is incredible jank
>>
>>924739
i dont understand whats supposed to be janky about Graviteam games. One of the strengths is how intuitive is to use.
>>
>>924793
I think the big problem is that the best way to control the game (space bar, set up order & click, drag direction the group should be facing at end of order) isn't obvious. There's never a single reason to ever use the 'default' right click method which doesn't allow you to set a facing, and doing so results in dumb stuff.
>>
I’m convinced the same person makes this thread on here and Reddit. The writing style and tone and general length are always the same. There’s literally only 11 people playing right now even in peek ruskie time so there is like 0 interest for this game outside this one shill.
>>
>>925042
every thread has the same few posters, the same arguments and the same shitposts.

I don't think steamcharts is accurate, steam has a hard time tracking my hours in mius / steel fury kharkov, and the steam forums seems pretty alive.
>>
File: jericho.jpg (229 KB, 1193x658)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
Gane is pure kino and like others have said the UI isn't at all clunky, it's very intuitive. Never had so much fun having my ass handed to me.
>>
>>898377
>midwit normies thinking they’re smart
Nah, that would be civ fans
>>
>>925042
I don't know because I don't go on fucking reddit you fucking redditor stay there
>>
>>925042
I'm seeing 23 on Mius front and 7 on Tunisia, while CM is at 33, so pretty even unless there's more than CMSF 2 on steam
>>
>>917436
They openly said it's too much work so they'd rather shit out easy DLC.
>>
>>924670
Not enough granularity in small unit tactics for the western front to be enjoyed, smallest unit is the squad and buildings have to be overhauled.
>>
too many people misunderstand this game, they try to play it like RTS or squad tactic game, but is not game like this, you need to consider smallest unit = platoon, but platoon is only part of company, and so you must think of company as main unit with platoon as sub units. Forget squads.

When you understand this simple fact the game takes on a new appearance entirely, and the game does a very good job of handling everything at the platoon and squad level, but of course you need to remember it's still just a game made by a small team designed to run on mediocre home entertainment PC, so there are always going to be limitations to what's possible.

So you must assume the role of battalion commander for the operational phase, and then assume the role of the senior commander on the feild in each tactical battle, stop trying to tell all the individual squads what to do, leave it alone, stop the micromanage ADHD clicking and think big, if it's a defensive battle then surer, take your time during deployment as the clock isn't running ans so it's fair to assume the roles of each and every company, platoon and even squad commander for this segment, but if it's an offensive battle forget all that, formulate your plan taking into account the forces and supplies at your disposal, paying attention to the terrain and weather conditions, the condition of your forces, the potential disposition of the enemy etc and give braod brushstroke commands to each company, and let them figure out how to best carry yourt orders out.

And I don't pretend there is some mastermind AI at work here, but there is a very clever set of algorithms and behavioral modifiers that mean your units will generally behave in a logical way, and they will react in logical ways if you just resit the temptation to spam orders to each and every soldier.

1/2
>>
2/2
And then the game reveals itself, you send a company to march by track or road to the forest, then spread out and move in a wide frontal formation through the forest towards the objective which they shall proceed to assault, they will do this as well as you ewill see in any game ever made, if you leave the buttons alone, don't panic, relax, like in all battles the plan is set and orders are given, commanders aty HQ aren't going to know that 1st squad from B platoon Company Alpha has strayed beyond the treeline, your role at this point is spectator, som just enjoy the shoe.

Observe how companies move with light infantry in the front and support weapons behind, in a fractal display this is echoed from the squad level up though platoons and companys, support units support, they attack from range, if you stop trying to tell them where to aim their weapons they will hear about it through the chains of command, yes, spotters will seek out line of sight automatically and comms teams will race to keep the lines open, there will be smoke signals and shouts carrying information that will eventually reach the mortar team.

and watch then how the battle unfolds, if you go in close and focus on one particular vehicle that has got stuck, and get angry and frustrated that he cant see through the tiny narrow slits what you see from the sky then you are going to miss the entire point, watch the battle, all of it, let the simple but brilliant behaviors and carefully coded reactions to various stimuli play out organically and then you willsee how this game lives.
>>
>>926755
>>926758
Why is this constantly spammed in graviteam threads? This is absolutely obvious to everyone and the command point system makes it impossible to baby individual squads. Everyone who spend a few hours to understand the game, knows this. Who are you even adressing?
>>
>game made on the premise that "you shouldn't micro every single squad"
>drag select a combined arms force with elements from different platoons
>give an order
>every single unit in the involved platoons tries to execute the order, even the ones not selected, resulting in squads that should have held position moving around
>have to select single squads and order them individually to avoid this

>select a whole platoon
>give a movement order
>every squad moves to a random point around the center of their current formation and gets stuck there, most probably in some kind of waypoint before actually moving where they should
>have to select single squads and order them individually to avoid this

>have every kind of button to auto deploy units with a number of available factors
>doesn't work and most of the formations ends up in shitty places with no forward LOS
>have to select single squads and deploy them individually to avoid this
>>
>>927808
The idea is that a deliberate lack of micro compensates for the ineptness of the enemy AI. If Graviteam was a multiplayer game, you'd absolutely need to micromanage the shit out of your troops.
>>
>>926758
>>926755
I'm lurking this thread because I bounced off the game hard years ago. This will actually help me immensely, I'll stop telling my squad to attack and then worrying why soldier #75 isn't shooting RIGHT NOW
>>
>>926755
>>926758
Yeah, this took me a while ti get my head around, was always fixating on individual tanks or heavy weapons and getting annoyed that they weren't doing what I would be doing in thier position, armed as I am with God view.

Also like the other anon mentioned, drag selecting random groups and then getting mad that the whole front gets fucked up, of course now I realize each unit is its its own command hierarchy, I also know now that the game can handle commands at the platoon level and assuming you use the correct modifiers you will get pretty much the results you're looking for.

I can see why people get fucked off and think it's broken or that the AI is dumb, that's what I thought the first dozen or so times I tried to get into it, but in fact it's quite an elegant little game that when played correctly pretty much gives you what you've always wanted from a real time tactical war game.
>>
>>927813
If Graviteam was a multiplayer game it'd be the best RTS of all time mostly BECAUSE of the anti-micro command system.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.