[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 6621993581623771493gol1.png (812 KB, 1607x1042)
812 KB
812 KB PNG
REMNANTS OF THE PRECURSORS 1.0 IS OUT BITCHES!

https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors
>>
>>888946
Looks like shit lmao. tell me more
>>
>>888972

Why you should try it:
https://old.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/ro17o0/remnants_of_the_precursors_is_officially_released/

(Sorry for linking reddit)
>>
>>888946
>download it
>cool graphics and shit
>ok click new game
>select human race
>leader picture is some tranny mutt morph
>whatever don't have to look at it
>start game
>advisor is a nigger
nah fuck off
>>
File: 41.png (2.85 MB, 1920x1080)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB PNG
>>
>>889017
Διος Μιο
>>
File: nig.png (160 KB, 441x310)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>
File: scientist.png (2.5 MB, 1920x1080)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB PNG
and of course the scientist is a woman
>>
File: Human_MOO1_Diplomacy.png (7 KB, 497x260)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
here's a comparison to MOO1 humans, can you spot the difference?
>>
the spy portrait is also a negro, what a hideous game
black hands will never touch this game so the logical conclusion is that it was made as a cuck fetish for the author
>>
>>889017
More like Blyatrov II.
>>
You are mentally ill
>>
>>889039
not as much as the artist making those portraits
>>
>>888996
>(Sorry for linking reddit)

C'mon now this board is for adults.
>>
This board is fucking shit.
>>
I don't know what's your problem guys, it's pretty realistic for how the globohomo united Earth would look like. Kinda reminds of my custom human empire in Stellaris where the mutt goyim were the servant species under the kikes. I'm less then enthusiastic for aliens being boring space animals, though. Completely devoid of any creativity.
>>
>MoO1
Odd choice but ok.

>>889017
>human

>>889020
>>889021
I think I'm more angry at the outfits than anything else. That woman's head looks photoshopped on. The hair especially just isn't practical with that collar.
>>
>>889017
>>889020
>>889021

Wtf lmao. I ain’t touching that shit. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>889203
>That woman's head looks photoshopped on
That's because it actually is. Not even the real life basis for that picture looks so bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Seager
>>
>>889015
yeah
the dev is some american boomer who hired some cali artist
overall art style is more of downgrade to original cartoon fluffy aliens
>>
>>889211
jesus christ
>>
>>888946
I have never seen a more mobile-looking interface. Disgusting
>>
>>889022
Idealized cartoon depictions trump ugly photo-realistic paintings when it comes to engaging the imagination.

Give me the strong chinned hero, or the soft skinned beauty over whatever the heck >>889017 is.
>>
Is this, dare I say, GOTY?
>>
File: image6-1.png (1.14 MB, 1022x1432)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>889315
>>
>someone makes a 1 for 1 recreation of a classic game with better ui, ai and useability
>game has a nigger in it so im not gonna touch or play it it
>fuck this dev he wont get my money

The game is litreally free and a pure soul project how mentally ill is this board?
>>
>>889866
Make it open source so I can remove the niggers then.
>>
>>889866
>Shit like >>889017
>pure soul
You need an exorcist.
>>
>>889181
>my custom human empire in Stellaris where the mutt goyim were the servant species
ah, someone else who loves doing that
>>
>>889866
I'm not going to play as "humans" anyway, but what does it have going for it?
>>
>>888946
It already felt feature complete back when I played it a year ago. Is this the version where he’s starting to add new stuff beyond moo1 or is that holding for 1.x?

Anyway, this game was great back when I tries it. The beautiful simplicity of moo1 but with modern QoL and graphics,
>>
File: GirenZabi.jpg (78 KB, 480x600)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>889022
SIEG ZEON
SIEG ZEON
SIEG ZEON
>>
>>889866
>1:1 remake
So what's even the point apart from having god awful art?
MoO 1 and 2 are still good games to this day, there isn't any reason to play this remake. The only way would be for the dev to make this open-source(which doesn't seem the case according to the other post) to make modding easier.
>>
File: Darklock Lose.jpg (305 KB, 1229x768)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>889923
The main reason to play this remake
>superior game customization options (stars larger than 100, can have up to 49 opposing empires in the same game)
>far better AI that is actually competitive, with the option to use an even more brutally efficient AI that is hyper optimized
>a game that runs far better than the original MOO in terms of speed, usability and the similar
Humans do look pretty odd but they do have the coolest looking ground soldiers, for the 5 seconds you see them anyway.
I just find it infinitly amusing that we see some black guy in a 4x game and people swear off the game like its diseased.
You can just not play as the Humans if you don't want to see them. The other races look cooler anyway.
>>
>>889866
art is bad(not only for humans) and they added extra lore to factions that is unnecessary
outside this - its sure better but desu I would prefer original cartoon art and minimalistic lore
>>
>>889909
moo humans were more like star trek
>>
>>889017
What the fuck is that disgusting thing holy shit lmao
If that's what the Ur-Quan slave-shielded, good.
>>
>>889877
>>889923
It's open source.

https://github.com/rayfowler/rotp-public
>>
>>889017
I don't know if they intended to make an anti-semitic stereotype, but they've definitely succeeded.
>>
>>889017
i thought you were memeing
>>
>>889209
>Wtf lmao. I ain’t touching that shit. Thanks for the heads up.
Same here, no fucking way.
>>
oh boy it's generic space 4x, now with more niggers
>>
>>889017
This kills the game
>>
>>888946
Tell me OP, is there any white male in that game that is depicted in a positive light?
>>
File: 7A1E2vP.jpg (189 KB, 1386x875)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>890210
Here's a pic of the human council meeting.
>>
>>889017
>humans
>diplomats
How did this become the cliche? Humans have spent the entirety of their history fighting each other and waving their dicks around. They're not incapable of diplomacy but it certainly doesn't come naturally to most of them. Out of thousands of years they finally get 1 span of about 75 years where some of them don't fight each other as much as they'd like(mostly because they invented nuclear weapons and immediately hoarded enough to turn their planet inside out ten times over) and suddenly they all start acting like they're a species of master negotiators.
>>
File: 1501769337867.jpg (586 KB, 1024x1008)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
>>890229
sold
>>
>>888946
>colony is established
>time to think if we want to send people there!
kek
>>889017
wtf is that creature lol
>>
File: Spy_Base.png (313 KB, 600x768)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>890246
This game takes place in the timeline where North Korea took over the world, that's a distant relative to the Kim's.
Nice spies though
>>890241
They try to justify it as less of humans being some star-trek tier nice species, and more that humans in this setting are better at hiding their true intentions and acting diplomatic than most other alien species are.
>>888946
Say what you will about the game, but I think it has some damn good writing. This is the 'Human' military defeat text
> Your best laid plans have been permanently foiled. Yours was a species that had weathered hardships both external and self-inflicted. But here, in the depths of space, your people found a hardship they could not endure from foes they could not hope to match. Even when they stood united in the face of this common enemy, humanity's strength and ingenuity proved to be outclassed at every level, and an empire that prided itself on the ability to maintain strong diplomatic ties fell to those it could not use said diplomacy against. There will be no more dreams from the people of Earth, no more writings, no more art, and no more songs. The hopeful voice of humanity that once sung out across the cosmos is now no more than a lilting refrain, replaced briefly by a baleful dirge, and then by a silence that will last into eternity...
>>
>>890275
>but I think it has some damn good writing
you have shit taste but whatever, enjoy
>>
File: pedomoot.jpg (17 KB, 471x392)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
MoO2>MoO
deal with it faggots I don't care
>>
>>890275
>self hating thoughts is good writing
It's clear the guy in charge loathes humanity.
>>
File: You.png (189 KB, 416x413)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>890288
>>
File: Bulrathi_Loss.jpg (606 KB, 1229x768)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
>>890293
It is the defeat text, its more uplifting if you win, here's the text if you win by defeating the Galactic Republic as the Humans
>Your best laid plans have finally succeeded. "There can be no peace so long as the will of mankind is ignored." This was what you told the former Galactic Council as it betrayed you, and this is what you repeated to your people and your allies when the final battle ended in your victory. Years upon years of delicate political juggling and taxing diplomatic negotiations had been foiled in the final hour, but they were not for naught in the end. Now, you stand ready to take the throne, and you know that those brave enough to join you in your rebellion will have no reason to oppose your ascension. It was good for you to find kinship among some of the aliens that inhabited foreign stars, for they were instrumental in helping you achieve your goals of wiping out the false republic that built itself up before you. You will happily ensure that they take equal part in the building of this new future, and reap their equal share of the rewards as well. For the New Republic is no more, Triumvir: now begins the Grand Republic! Enjoy its challenges and its rewards: you have without a doubt earned them.
>>
>>890229
game is redeemed
>>
File: 1568322822262.jpg (118 KB, 363x500)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>890304
What did they change the Bulrathi into bears? Wheren't they some sort of thick lizards?
>>
File: Diplomat_Base.png (620 KB, 525x768)
620 KB
620 KB PNG
>>890311
Your thinking of the Sakkra, here is their depiction in the game
>>
File: mooraces.jpg (24 KB, 800x100)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>890311
no
Sakkra were lizards
Bulrathi were always bears, even started on Ursa
>>
>>890313
fuck, guess I was misled by MoO2's art since it has a bigger mp scene that's what I play 9 out of 10
>>
File: shill.jpg (37 KB, 355x360)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>888946
I'm not going to buy it because this is a shill thread
Tell your boss that the harder they try to market here, the more people won't buy their product
>>
>>890325
It is not for sale. You cannot buy it. It is free/libre open source software, as God and Richard Stallman intended.
>>
>>890304
>You will happily ensure that they take equal part in the building of this new future
>It was good for you to find kinship among some of the aliens that inhabited foreign stars
you're not fooling me
>>
>>890325
i actually think people here are mentally ill and also can't read
>>
I don't understand why developers choose to do this though. Who do they think is the audience for 4x games?

Women don't play these games, blacks don't play these games. Only europeans and a few white americanoids play these games. Why can't we have a nice sexy ambassador and an hot blonde advisor? These are ugly people and it makes the game ugly.
>>
File: Master_of_Orion_cover.jpg (74 KB, 640x736)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>890325
The game is FREE idiot. It's a fan project aimed at recreating Master of Orion 1 with a modern ui and modern ui functionality.
>>
>>890457
and a modern take on human representation :^)
>>
>>890470
If you really care that much about the art used. I think a more simplistic artstyle would have been better but I don't think he was allowed to make something that resembles the original too much.
>>
File: 1635279397606.png (138 KB, 345x367)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>889866
>how mentally ill is this board?
>>
>>889017
>humans
>diplomats
>>
>>890477 (checked)
I just don't like a tranny-looking long nose weirdo being the representative of humanity in my fictional video game universe
>>
>>890457
And the UI is fucking atrocious.
>>
>>890544
Well it's mostly the same but at least it works a lot better than the original.
>>
File: Faggot Alert.gif (2.04 MB, 839x644)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB GIF
>>890520
>it has tuh look liek meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!1111
>>
>>890241
>they

Uhh I think you just blew your cover. Where do you come from? Proxima?
>>
>>890556
It says human on the screen, I damn well expect it to look human.
>>
>>890476
I don't think he would get a DMCA for making the humans look too much like actual humans.
>>
>>890605
The dumb nigger actually wanted to rename humans to "earthlings" because he thought it would infringe copyright.
>>
>>889985
Yep. And then the remake came and introduced us to the Terran Khanate which is like the mirror-verse Empire from Star Trek to the Earthling's Federation.
>>
>>889017
why would you do this
>>
>>890605
That is not what I meant. I think he made an agreement that he could go on and publish his thing for free if the art was different than the original. For the art that is there, he got an artist to make something.

>>890611
Yeah that was really dissapointing for a pre order release. I got that game a couple of years ago but damn that faction has the exact same ship models. The voice acting of the Khanate is good though.
>>
>>890617
>I got that game a couple of years ago but damn that faction has the exact same ship models.
Yeah. Could've made them spikier or have the ships look much more aggressive.
>The voice acting of the Khanate is good though.
Indeed.
>>
Has anyone tried it yet? And is it fun?
>>
>>890664
Having fun? On MY 4chan?
>>
>>890664
I found a human portrait mod that replaced the ambassador with a cute brown female but sadly the links expired so I'm now looking into making my own mod.

You see, I'm not racist. I just hate ugly people.
>>
>>890694
based
>>
>>889866
>how mentally ill is this board?
Very

Keep in mind the people bitching about it don't even play strategy games, niggers or not, being /v/tards bitching about muh graphics. They are here just to shitpost.
>>
>>890608
It's because humans aren't open source and it would violate the game's FOSS license
>>
>>890664
I've been playing it all evening. Need to read the manual to understand what the fuck is going on. Empire/ship building is basic enough to feel like you're solving an optimization math problem, not too fond of it. Playing optimally involves lots of fiddling with sliders and autism. It's pretty old-school. I appreciate that shipbuilding feels a bit rock-paper-scissors, or missile-shield/laser-armor, I guess.

Starting to get into a war with a big faction,a few hours in and having fun so far, it has a different feeling to modern 4x games, it feels like everything you do is about war. With default settings 40 turns in I felt like I couldn't make any more progress without going out and fighting another empire, and all the empire building was about getting the production base to pump out the combat ships, research/design to come up with the most cost effective way to spend that production, and scouting to figure out which parts I'll need in the first place.
>>
>>889017
>Human
X to doubt
>>
>>889017
That's a blood-red flag there
>>
>>890893
This is the first sensible post on this thread since it started. Thank you.
>>
>>891006
Easily triggered. Need to unlearn that to become a better dev.
>>
I'm the developer. The black guy is Neil deGrasse Tyson and the scientist is Sara Seager. I like MOO1 and I like astronomy!

>>
>>890229
I will now play this game
>>
is capturing planets bugged or something?
>>
>>891006
>posts tell you what they don't like
>this is not sensible
>post tells you what they like
>this is sensible
retard
>>
File: FIoA.png (694 KB, 700x700)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
>>889017
Looks like an inbred royalty, I kind of like that 'alternative' look. At least it's different from the default humane humans who seek to explore the universe and make friends.
The bonus is lame and predictable though. With that kind of sinister-looking leader you'd expect an insane warmonger, who captures billions of slaves to erect huge monuments and cannibalizes alien flesh in hope of gaining their knowledge and becoming immortal.
>>
>>889956
>>a game that runs far better than the original MOO in terms of speed, usability and the similar
MOO is a DOS game released in 1993, if you are having problems running it on DOSbox or other arguably better DOS emulators then your modern hardware has a problem you need to get looked at ASAP. Maybe even replaced. I'm serious about this if there is any issues trying to run a DOS game by itself its almost always because your hardware is damaged because the only time you should have a speed issue with a DOS game is that its running too fast.
>>
>>889956
>You can just not play as the Humans if you don't want to see them.
Have you ever found a piece of mold on your food? It's kinda like stepping in dog shit, or a bird shitting on your shirt. Ever went to a public toilet, but couldn't even think about sitting on the seat? When your keys fall into an indescribable puddle of garbage on the street. Walk past an obese fat fucker that you can visually smell.

It's that kind of reaction. I need a shower after it.
>>
>>891397
Maybe he needs to increase the maximum cycles in his dosbox emulator? There's a key shortcut to do this and it makes your emulated games way faster.
>>
>>891479
>Maybe he needs to increase the maximum cycles in his dosbox emulator?
GOG DOSbox has the default cycles for MOO set pretty low. All you have to do is set it to 10,000 cycles in the text file. otherwise using your own DOSbox you should already have cycles set to a number you like which is somewhere around 30,000-50,000. The only reason to go low is because a game will break going too fast.
>>
>>889017
El goblino de las galaxias
>>
Its basically 1:1 copy of Master of Orion 1
And Master of Orion 2 is infinitely better since it has actually fun combat with tactics instead of stacks of spaceships
>>
>>891690
But 2 has a lot of unfun micro with building buildings everywhere. Sure at first it's fine but after you get a certain amount of planets and money no longer is an issue the game becomes tedious.
>also the ship design menu within the planet menu within the star system menu
Who thought that was a good idea?! The combat is better in 2 that is true though.
>>
>>891690
they are different games
MoO2 is more a civ in space
good game but MoO is my fav
>>
>>891698
>The combat is better in 2 that is true though
early when you can and do various sheningans
later its just tiresome and boring
>50 death stars moving
>>
>>889017
so? this is already what half of the government officials in the west look like, and i assume this is set way in the future
>>
>>890241
>humans
>diplomats
no anon they are not diplomats they are MERCHANTS
>>
>>891698
>micro
You can just queue that shit. Anyway pretty sure oldfag MP rules forced people to always have CA$H as the last thing in your queue for that reason since it never go away. After a while you can just go full money and buy all your autistic things rather than making them.
I've never had any problem with the micro.

>>891798
That's only in single player if you want to brute-force it. Even with a top-tier production planet, these ships still take around 6-10 turns to build or/and a fuck load of money.
You can just do a "scout battle", see their weakness and quickly convert your ship into the perfect counter. Each of those doom stars killed is a huge chunk of their economy down the shitter. Also 5 ships is better than a single doomstar since you can hit 5 places at once. You can win war via economy too, you know.
>>
>year 420

Hell yeah bro lmao haha
>>
>>892202
>dude
>>
File: Screenshot_5.png (19 KB, 1136x183)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>
>>892220
>shitlord
lol
lmao
>>
>>892220
kek
true american boomer
>>
>>892220
Imagine caring about anons and/or their playful shitposts.
>>
>>892220
>he actually paid for that
I think it's something in the water.
>>
File: 1611100904756.png (251 KB, 346x427)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
>>892496
>playful shitposts
>>
File: clowns.gif (1.28 MB, 530x484)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>892528
>boomer is used to his close circlejerk where every wrongthink is corrected
He'd have a heartattack on european forums.
>>
>>892220
Buck status: broken
>>
>>890241
I think the writer said that he wrote everything based around the pre-existing mechanics of the races, so humans were diplomats in the lore because mechanically they were diplomats in the original game. I thought the whole "one hand extending the olive branch, the other holding a dagger behind my back" thing was a decent enough way to frame it all things considered, but to each their own.
>>
File: butwait thereismore.png (87 KB, 1162x669)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>892220
>>
>>892598
Holy kek. Why does the dev guy have a hate boner for this board not liking the art for humans? People have hated the human art since it was introduced and I think the first mod for the game was one that changed it. Seems like a weird thing to start complaining about suddenly.
>>
>>892220
I swear this is like the four dev I see that goes "I made the humans ugly to make 4chan seethe, I am the best"
>>
>>892606
probably conditioned to get upvotes or some shit, just comes off as insane to other people
>>
File: tin-of-crap.jpg (37 KB, 900x582)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
something like this but unironic, like ok it's so shit that it's funny
but it's still shit
>>
>>892606
I could be wrong but I think they're most of all happy about making /pol/tards seethe over niggers and women
>>
>>892611
>>892611
>making /pol/tards seethe over niggers and women
there's people hating the race portrait a year ago when this board didn't even know the game existed, that's some 4d chess

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/lb5rai/alternative_human_diplomat_proposal/
>>
Humans seem hard to get right in 4x games. But this game goes above and beyond in making its representation of Humanity just ugly to look at.
Which is amusing because literally all the other Human portraits in the game look fine.
>>
>>892642
Maybe they try to check all their imaginary quota in a single pic so they're allowed to put tits and good looking people everywhere else
>>
>>892644
But this game isn't even some corporate shitshow, its a indie game made by one guy.
So the Humans have shit looking leaders but all the Aliens look fine?
I don't mind gruff or hard to look at leaders, but this looks like some clone experiment gone rogue
That other MOO like game that's been in perpetual development forever, Dominus Galaxies or something, at least has decent/gruff looking Humans, as an example.
>>
>>892644
Maybe the guy is a cheapass, paid for shitty art for the humans, and now is doing cope by going "IS SHIT TO PISS OFF RACIST"
>>
File: What are you.png (111 KB, 223x225)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>892649
I dunno, the ugly face aside the quality of the Human art seems good. All the other Humans look perfectly fine, its just the ambassador/leader/whatever that look like an aborted Kim-Jong-Un.
Personally it does not detract from the game, since I play Humans I never have to look at him. But I just find it baffling.
The ancient reasoning was because Human's don't look like supermodels (except all the other Humans and Aliens look great?), now its to own the racists on 4chan???
>>
>>890241
>their
>they're
>they
Somebody call X-COM
>>
>>892656
Doubtful. I'm not really picking up "I did this specifically to fuck with 4chan racis" ' vibes as much as I'm picking up "haha look at these racists seethe" vibes. Again, people were shitting on the Human advisor art since before we even knew about this game, doesn't really fit that the reasoning. I have no clue why he tried to make the art for this specific character so overwhelmingly repulsive. Maybe it was because the Humans in the game are duplicitous backstabbers so he wanted a slimy looking guy to be their representative? Either way I've modded that shit out and haven't thought about it since.
>>
>>892669
that... thing is supposed to be a woman
>>
>>892220
>shill his crap on 4chan
>go complain to r*ddit when people aren't sucking his dick hard enough
The simple fact that he unironically use r*ddit and shit on 4chan make me want to skip his shitty game.
>>
>>892598
>tourists faggots like these are the one shitting up MY 4chan
Mandatory lurking, IQ test and comprehensive board culture test are needed.
also those fags are too afraid to link this thread despite still being alive.
>>
What are the hardware requirement? Is it low since it's based on a 90s DOS game or is it high due to shitty bloat-tier programming?
After having played Carrier Command 2 and seeing the game running 1g of RAM, there is no fucking excuse for shitty map painting games to take so much resource.
>>
>If modders don't like these names, they are free to change them! All I ask is that you do not change any of the 9 alien names back to their MOO1 names.
What a fucking pussy. Does he really think he can get sued because of mods? Someone should make an un-ugly and un-cucked mod or fork.
>>
>humans are manipulative and malicious to aliens, and that this is the source of their diplomatic bonus.
Is this true or is it just that faggot ray shoehorning his head cannon into MoO1? If the faggot hate humans that much, it's no wonder why he purposefully made them ugly as fuck.
9/10 chance he's a misanthrope furry
>>
>>892669
>>892673
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh god i am laughing.
>>
>>892692
never mind that, the source code still refer to the race with their MoO names...
what a dumb nig, I bet half of what he's doing is for pity points and virtue signaling
>>
>>892683
you should read how they post, they are so lobotomized they can't even say anything negative for fear of being canceled by their peers
it's extreme puritanism
>>
File: 1143971904561.gif (944 KB, 360x240)
944 KB
944 KB GIF
>>892700
Yeah, sometime "people" (read:subversivefags) complain when they see a single "nigger" or "faggot" in a post citing"muh raycist is akshually newfag" or "trying too hard to fit".
While the latter might be true, it's also the best way to differentiate the tourists from the natives. Which is why I encourage everyone to have at least one ceremonial "nigger" in their post for good measure.
>>
>>892709
they physically can't write nigger or faggot, it's funny
I'm gonna go try the game now that someone fixed that portrait
>>
Is it just me or is this whole thread exactly like a reddit thread, except the prevailing updooted opinion is niggers bad?

Anyway, don't care about artwork in a strategy game, what changed from the original apart from AI?
>>
>>892761
>le exactly the same as le reddit just le reversed
xd
>>
>>892792
Unironically yes. Nu-4chan is a hivemind of contrarian underage retards obsessed with doing everything opposite of what reddit does.
>>
>>892807
Fix your ugly fucking art instead of being yet another cancer on MY 4chan, Ray.
>>
>>892648
>mutt
>boomer
>corporate bootlicker
>most likely a fag
anon, time when indies were based is long time over
>>
>>892656
>All the other Humans look perfectly fine
nah
they look less shitty but all are bad caricature
>>
>>892591
their writer suck ass anyway
also they don't really get why minimal writing present in original MoO was the best and ofcourse feel duty to infest game with their badly written bloat
>>
>>892669
>Either way I've modded that shit out and haven't thought about it since.
how
share the way with the free people of this board
>>
I just can't do it. I can't play humans in this game. Every time some event or research happens I am presented with these hideous faces and get repulsed. I'm gonna play some alien race.

It's uncanny valley shit.
>>
File: Humans MoO.png (120 KB, 981x930)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>892694
its his or his writer fanfiction
essentially you five sets that defined race in MoO(and zero of it was a fluff)
>research aptitude,
>starting relations with other races(like for example Birds and Cats didn't like each other much),
>AI governing personality(semi random), humans usually start as Honorable (may be Pacifistic and Aggressive) Diplomats(can be Industrialists and Technologists)
>the race perk(in this case being best ((merchants)) in galaxy)
>ship preference
that is all
no need for shitty fanfics and unnecessary fluff
>>
>>892709
hey you double nigger you will not force me to say nigger
NEVER
fucking 4chan racists, I swear
>>
>>892761
it have better UI, like you have mouse wheel support, or are able to set how many ships or missile bases you want to build
>read the human diplomat in chink voice
>>
File: Soldier_Base.png (589 KB, 620x768)
589 KB
589 KB PNG
>>892839
The writing only appears when you start a game, and when you win/lose. There's nothing in-between that get's in the way. You can also just instantly skip the texts. Its hardly a red mark on the game.
I just hate the human faces. Can someone make a mod that makes them all war their face-plates like the soldier does for 1 second?
>>
>>892761
As others have said it's just a smoother game. Totally worth it to try it out.. I mean hey it's free. Absolute virgin whiny autists in this thread, get the fuck off /vst/
>>
>>892851
stfu faggot
>>
File: 1404984463012.png (348 KB, 1244x479)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>>892840
4chan used to be better

>>892839
I mean in MoO2 they also get to be the only democratic race so I'm sure the original dev saw them more like Star Trek human ie friendly with everyone. Considering the Charismatic and Federation(imp. democracy) has bonus to multi-racial colonies.
Clearly humans being space-kikes is nonsensical, especially when there are 2 other races that does that(both in the subversive and merchant kind of way).
>>
>>892851
>samefagging in his shill thread
Game being free doesn't mean it should be free of criticism.
also why the fuck Java? Couldn't learn an actual language that isn't interpreted and thus run like aids compare to C/C++?
>>
File: old.jpg (50 KB, 600x600)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>892866
>pic
>>
File: OMoO_Humans.png (71 KB, 265x252)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>892866
I mean look at these MoFos
>>
File: 1378737044709.png (71 KB, 800x916)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>892878
They seem like honest hard-working individuals proud of their job and race/nation. Am I missing something?

>>892876
I miss him and the funposting mods. Now we're stuck with opaquefags being too busy being attention whores on trannycord.
>>
>>892866
You forgot the part the Human representative was literally Picard from TNG
>>
>not being able to enjoy the NTR-tier leader
you guys have shit taste
the artwork is damn good
>>
File: hearty keks.gif (435 KB, 305x205)
435 KB
435 KB GIF
>>892906
>>
>>892851
not going to play your troon sim
>>
File: goalbody.jpg (468 KB, 2504x1980)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>892895
I always though it was a reference to Rubinsky from LOGH, but I guess that would be a bit too hardcore for the 90s.

>>892906
Nah, it's just fucking ugly also it's a "female" just look at "her" b-b-boobs!
It doesn't ooze charisma nor has a pure smile like pic rel
A pale imitation that will never be nor will surpass the original(sound just like trannies now that I think about it)
>>
File: you are alright.gif (1.95 MB, 282x210)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>>892921
>>
>>892921
>lotgh
based
>>
File: 3727773628949.png (3.34 MB, 1920x1080)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB PNG
>>892824
What do you mean how? Just go to the subreddit for the game and download one of the mod packs that exist. There's nothing you have to do.
>>892866
>Portrayed in the art as a menagerie of ugly mutts
>Portrayed in the writing as a bunch of duplicitous space Jews
Is this a parody that is accidentally based?!
>>
>>889181
God damn Ascendency was so great. Too bad it got tedious as shit from mid-game on.
>>
>>892951
Could you link it please I cant seem to find it.
>>
>>892611
>I cut my dick off for /pol/ to seethe!
Kek, if that is not a mental illness I don't know what is.
Based /pol/ removes defective genes by using nothing but memes and shitposting.
>>
>>892958
I use Xilmi's Mod that tweaks some other stuff in the game but the art mod for the human advisor is called "Artwork-Mod by /u/Zestyclose_Pin3192". Google either of those and you should be set. Enjoy.
>>
File: 1459890514461.jpg (172 KB, 640x1440)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>892946
Too bad the remake is utter modern cancer.

>>892951
>mutts and kikes
Oh shit, even the fucking hands grubbing.
Imagine if the dev is a /pol/tard on 5 layers of sarcasm and irony and he's currently just falseflagging itt as some sort of reverse-psychology...
>>
>>889017
what the fuck
>>
>>892611 (check)
>boll bad >:(
>>
hey guys. I'm the dev again. I don't mind the hate b/c I know that's part of the deal here but I will address a few complaints:

--- the human diplomat was intentionally requested to be an old ugly grandma type. The point is that the humans in ROTP are a deceptive race and giving a false presentation to other races is part of their schtick

-- I know it's not fap-worthy until you have a grandma fetish. The game has always been free and open-source specifically to allow people to customize the game to their tastes. I have fully supported things like art mods for people who want to see something different

-- I chose Java because it's the #1 used language in the world and also fuck Microsoft. I you think ROTP is slow because I wrote it in Java, then I recommend you compare it to other 4X games because it's faster than most of them.

-- the scientist and the soldier are based on real-life astronomers. They are not coded SJW signaling. If Carl Sagan were still alive, he'd be in ROTP too

-- one point of the Human Council image was to show that the Humans in charge were actually physically endowed.

For those that like the game, I'm glad you do. It's free. For those that don't, that's fine too. Giving the game away free means people don't have leverage over me making the game the way I want to make it. Surely some people in here can at least appreciate that.
>>
>>893146
k boomer
>>
>>893146
>the human diplomat was intentionally requested to be an old ugly grandma type.
it's not fair, robots get cool titty fembot and humans get a granny
>>
>>893146
>If Carl Sagan were still alive, he'd be in ROTP too
I dont understand that point, using irl astronomers/space pioneers as a inspiration for portraits is a awesome idea and a way to pay homage but why them being still alive would be a requirement?
Why not have portraits inspired by Yuri Gagarin or Armstrong for eg?
>>
>>893146
Why did you go with MoO1 style of tactical combat instead of MoO2? It was quite a bizarre design choice. I know that this is supposed to be MoO1 "remake" but come one, everybody knows that MoO2 tactical combat > MoO1 tactical combat
>>
>>893234

You get all the boobies you want on the council image. The aliens get nothing!
>>
>>893246

In hindsight, that is a perfectly valid point and I would have chosen that. But once money is spent, it's spent. There was so much artwork to do and, even with a 6-year development process, we still got in just before the "deadline".

The human city image has someone with SAGAN on their cloak. The artist had originally put FOWLER on there and I had him change it.
>>
>>893248

Mainly because it was a MOO1 remake. Keep in mind that while MOO2 combat was more interesting, it's individual ship combat meant that you are really limited in how many ships you could send into combat, and large battles could get really tedious.

The MOO1 stack combat, while simpler, keeps small ships viable by allowing the player to throw huge stacks of them in combat.

There are some interesting things from MOO2 combat that could be worked into ROTP without giving up stack-based combat.

These captchas are a bitch, lol
>>
>>893266
Hey man, if you really are the dev, i appreciate posting here and on codex
Last time i played your game it was somewhere around version 0.7 or 0.8 and i enjoyed it. Good luck with your post 1.0 plans
>>
File: 1640471868762.jpg (938 KB, 900x1259)
938 KB
938 KB JPG
>>893146
but why have an ugly granny when you could have a hot granny?
t.hagfucker
>>
>>893274

You ask for the impossible! lol

I dunno, man. Part of me also really just wanted to get away from the egalitarian Star Trek trope that is so overdone in sci-fi. I didn't want the humans to be the "good guys" like they are presented everywhere. Not because I hate humans (I am definitely on Team Human) but just because it seemed boring. An ugly diplomat seemed like a good start.

Open source meant someone adusted it right away, which was 100% the point of opensource. I don't expect everyone to agree with every design choice I made.
>>
>>893269
I wonder how a mixed system where big ships play with MoO2 rules but smaller ships can stack would work
>>
>>893280
Good mix would be something like MoO2 combat but with smallest ships stacking up to 5 or 10, larger ones stacking up to 3 for example and capital ships not being able to stack.
Just a loose idea
>>
>>893248
stfu dumbfuck
MoO is strategic game not a tactical one
want tactical battles play something else
>>
>>893278
if you were going for subversion the humans still seem generic. why not a mandate of heaven type monarchy that uses heavy gene alteration, or a tech cult that uses mild time manipulation tech to create recursive research loops, or even nomadic anarchists with psychic shapeshifting spaceships?
>>
File: HappyArmorer.png (61 KB, 188x286)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>893278
>don't want make humans good guys
>so instead of soviets in space made them peak mixed (((merchants))) in space
oy vey
>>
>>893294

Well, I mean they still need to feel "Human" and this is the dawn of space travel so you can't get too crazy.

There was a short story about a dystopian society that was segregated by gender where the men did what they liked best, which was fight and fuck, and the women did all of the academic and diplomatic stuff. That's why the soldier is a guy, and he's black because he's Neil deGrasse Tyson.

That's obviously not the only way to do it but you have to pick something and go with it.
>>
>>893301
>(((soviets)))
>good guys
>>
File: Look at me.jpg (173 KB, 600x600)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>893309
yes
>>
>>893308
>dystopian society
>women did all of the academic and diplomatic stuff
I like when scifi wraps around back to reality.
>>
>>893316
ok that made me lol
>>
>>893294
Anon the game already has most of those, they're just in the non-human races.
>>
>>893301

Well, the trade bonuses for Humans are from the original MOO1. When MOO2 came out, the Gnolam race was very clearly "Jews in Space".

I've said this in other places, but I thought Wargaming's interpretation in MOO4 of the Gnolams as "golden calves" was inspired because it shows the emphasis on wealth while maintaining a very subtle nod to the Hebrew story about the goDlden calf.
>>
>>889021
that is not a woman
>>
>>888996
Master of Orion remake? More like Master of Orion demake. I will stick with the original.
>>
>>888946
why is this thread giving me a massive sense of deja vu
did this dev sperg out in the past or was it another space game
>>
>>893379
another
this one is just boomer
>>
>>893146
Can you do a Steam release? I know you hate proprietary software with a passion, but consider the following: Larger visibility for players leads to larger visibility for modders, which leads to more varied and more interesting mods. I like choice, you like choice, let's all have some choice.
>>
>>893480

I get asked this a lot so let me give you my rationale. Steam just hosts the game, it doesn't really market it. The people who find out about ROTP will do so outside of Steam and there's little difference at that point where they download it from. Of course some Steam loyalists will refuse to play it unless it's on Steam, but ok that's their choice not mine.

At the end of the day, I suspect that roughly the same number of people will download and play the game anyway.

Now if I were selling the game, I would consider putting it on Steam because there is money to be made by its recommendation algorithm and the crazy OCD a lot of gamers have about collecting games that they never play. But right now there's zero incentive. It doesn't help me, it doesn't make the game better, and it doesn't increase its awareness to more gamers.

I would rather people just download it for free and enjoy it. There's no need to inject a 3rd party into that.

Plus I've always thought that digital distribution makes developers lazy.
>>
>>889017
this makes perfect sense, the driving emotion of humans through history is mostly greed and trickery, war being a mostly unwelcome last resort to get their way. Most organized violence in history was done in the name of gaining/securing wealth.
>>
>>893496
My only counterargument is mods. Steam workshop integration makes it easier for the player to install mods, which is why many mod developers choose to distribute their mods there.

It's nice that anyone could fork your game in theory, but I don't think that's actually going to happen in practice. The best bet for seeing your game evolve, such as optional MoO2 combat, is mods.
>>
>>891363
>With that kind of sinister-looking leader you'd expect an insane warmonger, who captures billions of slaves to erect huge monuments and cannibalizes alien flesh in hope of gaining their knowledge and becoming immortal.
yeah they do all that, after they convince your own leaders it's for the mutual benefit of both species.
>>
File: 1581048323906.jpg (54 KB, 600x604)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>893308
>he's black because he's Neil deGrasse Tyson.
>>
>>893496
It's your game so fair play, I'd offer a counterpoint for you to consider in terms of marketing. Consider Amazon and the way it impacts people's purchasing decisions. Where someone who is more educated or less loyal to Amazon may Google "best XYZ 2021", how most people shop for products these days is: 1. Go to Amazon, 2: search for product, 3: sort by top rated by customer, 4: buy. There are a whole host of products unavailable on Amazon that are much better quality than what can be found there, but people are so caught up in ecosystems and convenience that they just stay within the Amazon sphere and never venture outside it. While steam is nowhere NEAR as shitty of a company as Amazon, it has a similar monopoly on digital pc game distribution, and there are a very significant number of people who stay inside the steam ecosystem for convenience and brand loyalty.

As I said it's your game and I'm not hear to argue with you one way or the other. But steam does a lot for marketing of indie games even indirectly just because of how big its sphere of influence is. Good luck on your game.
>>
>>893507
I'm kind of regretting my earlier stance on modding. Previously I just figured, "it's open-source, it's literally completely moddable".

But obviously people want to mix and match mods and that requires a lot more modularity and internal code support to make work.

Allowing custom races, text and music is a lot easier to do but it would be difficult to make mods that changed behavior without potentially breaking other mods that also changed behavior.

I just don't feel like making the game work like some giant lookup table of behavior. That would basically make it impossible to code an AI properly, and the strong AI is one of the key features of ROTP
>>
>>893507

Also, I think there are like 25 forks of the code repository right now. I'm not saying that's a lot, but it's not nothing. There are some pretty good mods in those repos.

I think now that 1.0 is out and the feature set is stabilized, someone in the community will probably take the reins and start integrating mods and feature changes. There are at least 3 people who have already made extensive changes to the code already, so the expertise is there.

At some point, I need to start looking to the next release.
>>
File: averageWargamer.jpg (40 KB, 704x396)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Is there another way to Send Transports from Planet A to Planet B besides the standard "Click Planet A, click 'Send Transports', Click Planet B"? I swear there was a way Ray
>>
>>893549

single planet to single planet you can do that. Although if you have a small empire, you might find that using Ctrl-T to open the transport pane and then Tabbing to your destination system might be easier.

If you are transporting from many systems to one system (like a mass invasion to an enemy planet), you can transport en masse from the Fleets screen. The advantage of this is you can click a check box to synch up the transports so they all arrive on the same turn (again, great for invasions).

That's it!
>>
>>893569
>fleets screen

that's it, thanks
>>
>>893234
The robots having very attractive looking representatives is the point. If you play as them you'll notice all the non-diplomat advisors look very aggressive or non-humanoid appearances.
The diplomats look attractive because that's what the Meklar want the universe to see.
>>
>>893592

That's correct. Each Meklar form is intended to be functional. The Meklar diplomat takes on a humanoid female appearance because most races are humanoid in some way.

The Meklar diplomat, by the way, was inspired by the femme robot in the movie Metropolis.

In addition, the Meklar city archtecture was patterned after the Art Deco style in that movie.
>>
>>893592
>The diplomats look attractive because that's what the Meklar want the universe to see
Well, most of races want to make good first impression, esp. backstabbing ones like Humans.
>>
>>893611

And of course old grandma would never stab you in the back. She brought cookies!
>>
>>893617
It doesn't look like grandma-with-cookies. It looks like failed genetic experiment that got to its post via nepotism or some other sort of non-meritocratic means.
>>
File: Combat_03.png (42 KB, 350x350)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>893622
I think the execution did not achieve the desired result
>>892951
This however I think swings the pendulum too far the other way. She now looks more like a supermodel, not a high level diplomat.
Personally I'd be interested in see all the Humans cloaked with masks and faceplates and cloaks akin to the soldier. A civilization of humanoids shrouding themselves, other civilizations witnessing their true forms either in high level meetings, death or from medical journals.
You'd also get away from issues regarding how "odd" humans tend to look in 4x settings.
>>
>>893146
your game is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>893636
you have Darloks already
>>893146
>art is bad(I like some of the background one from start page but some look like some random mishmash)
>simple 'cartoon' one like in original>photorealistic shit
>some alteration to a races just look and feel bad(like ffs you are doing remake why you reinventing a wheel in this case?)
>lore tibids are completely unnecessary(not even mention that are pulled from the ass(again above)
About gameplay
>dunno but AI didn't feel like it retain their personalities, definitely more passive, erratic is not erratic and it love trade deals to much
>it really have problems with finishing much weaker enemy
>invasions don't grant enemy factories
>can't use rebellions to switch enemy personalities and behavior
>>
>>893706
AI is subjective based on which AI type you are using. If you use the Modnar or Ximli one's they become far more aggressive, with Ximli being almost akin to fighting a hyper-aggressive min-maxing human player.
Personally I think losing factories on invasion's is fine only because you get to steal a lot of technology if you capture a lot of the factories.
>>
>>893712
that still don't explain erratic being totally subdued
>>
>>893146
Fair enough.
>>
>>893496
>it doesn't really market it.
you're missing the part where it will show up in search on steam, which is multiple times bigger exposure than anything you have done so far

steam is gigantic even when you're not actively advertising
>>
>>893636
>She now looks more like a supermodel
She looks like a mutt with makeup.
>>
>>893146
>until you have a grandma fetish
>until
>>
>>893636
>that
>supermodel
being anglo probably distorts your view, but that's an average looking young woman
except for the unfortunate shitskin
>>
>>893960
That's my problem, she looks too young for the position of a leader/diplomat.
>>
File: Devyani Khobragade.png (134 KB, 360x270)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>894025
Nonsense, she looks 30+ and seems modeled after the real life equivalent diplomat Devyani Khobragade from India.
>>
>>894027
DO NOT REDEEM THE PEACE TREATY! DO NOT REDEEM IT!
>>
>>893667

everyone has opinions. Your anonymous opinion is unfortunately far outnumbered by just about everyone who played the original game and has raved about it.

If you have any substantive criticisms of the game beyond an inability to fap to one of the images, I'm all ears. Otherwise, feel free to mod the game with all of your favorite porn stars!
>>
>>893874

Yeah, that's a common point but if you search for the game on google (which is far bigger than Steam) the top result is the free download page.

So in that regard I'm not really seeing how just being on Steam makes it easier to find. Like I said, there is a recommendation algorithm on Steam that would probably incrementally improve awareness.
>>
>>894047
>So in that regard I'm not really seeing how just being on Steam makes it easier to find
Tags, some people find new games either trough Steam "new releases" tab or trough tag-searching.
>>
File: jeribased_2.jpg (91 KB, 1080x1080)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>894044
checked and based
>>
>>894080
If someone modded the game with porn stars, I would watch that stream.

Well, for about 5-10 minutes anyway
>>
>>892974
>Too bad the remake is utter modern cancer.
never even gave it a shot after seeing the art style. what a disaster
>>
>>894030
>>894027
Good morning Sirs.

>>894044
>>894047
Good morning my Lady.
>>
>>894047
> search for the game on google
search for what? the exact same name as the game?

on steam you have many categories where your game will show up for all the poor gamers that browse the free category, it will be right there next to AAA strategy games free of charge
>>
>>894047
here if you don't believe random anonymous shit
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-130

take it from indie devs, steam is for you incomprehensibly larger market than you realize
>>
>>894047
Not incrementally, massively. Steam has 121 million active monthly users and 75% of the market share on pc digital distribution.
>>
>>888946
I think I've figured out the Fermi Paradox. Every intelligent life form in the universe stops reproducing and gets overrun with their equivalent to Sub-Saharan Africans before it's able to colonize space.
>>
>>894147

hmm, 121 million times $0 per game. I don't know how much that is, but it sounds like a lot more than without Steam
>>
I'm new to MoO1 / RotP and I'm getting my ass handed to me on Easy. Playing as Meklonar and having a tug of war with the Kholdan's.
>>
File: allRacesYear1253.png (1.61 MB, 1600x995)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>894161
Mentarans are out there killin' it. My fleet strength is vastly superior to them, and I'm hoping that the Mentaran's and Fiershan's fight each other while I take care of the Kholdan's and the Nazlok. We'll see how the game AI responds to each other. The Fiershan's are 'Ruthless Militarists' while the Mentaran's are 'Pacifist Technologists', so maybe the Fiershan's will start a fight?
>>
>>894161

I put a post on the rotp subreddit with some advice for new players and the first game.

The AI is pretty stout and the space monsters are brutal and they are causing lots of problems for new players. With that in mind, I wrote this post:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/rq39su/if_youve_never_played_moo1_or_rotp_play_your/
>>
>>894161
>>894164
>run away Psilons
dude you are fucked up
>>
>>894154
here's the thing lad, literally anyone can put "your" game on steam and there's fuck all you can do about it since the license allows it (GNU/GPL3 & CC by-nc-nd4)
it happened to other open source projects
do YOU want to be in control of the steam distribution and how it's presented or some random schmuck?
>>
>>894196

That's actually untrue. There are stricter licenses regarding the artwork, music and writing.
>>
>>894201
>There are stricter licenses regarding the artwork, music and writing.
if that was your intent, then you have applied the wrong license

https://github.com/rayfowler/rotp-public/blob/master/LICENSE

=======
ARTWORK
=======
All image files in this game are copyright by Peter Penev. They are:

// Licensed under the Creative Commons License,
// Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (the "License");
// you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
// You may obtain a copy of the License at
//
// https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
//

What this essentially means (read the license for full info):
1. you can distribute a game with these assets, but you cannot sell the game.
2. These assets cannot be altered.
3. Credits to Petar Penev must be preserved.

> 1. you can distribute a game with these assets, but you cannot sell the game.
anyone can legally upload your entire game on steam, assuming they credit you as author and don't alter the art/music
>>
addendum, this also means that the prettier human picture mod is illegal to distribute
>>
>>894206

They can't sell anything unless they replace all of the artwork, writing and music. Any code changes they make have to be open-sourced with the same license. Which means they will be distributing my game for me for free and they can never close the source for the game as long as my code is in it.

Saves me effort so I can work on the next release.
>>
>>894208

Pretty human artwork belongs to someone else. I have no idea what their license for that is.
>>
>>894227
that's exactly what I meant
steam version will have the dominant exposure and whoever does it will have control majority of your community

>>894228
the artwork is a derivative of the americanoid artwork in base game, has the same clothes and all just a replaced head
>>
>>894238

I totally get your point, but you are telling me that someone is going to pay $100 to distribute a game on Steam and pay for a new trademark (I own ROTP trademark) and do this for free?

What's their incentive? To control "my community"?

I dunno, man. If someone wants to do all of that work for free while raising awareness to my game, why should I stop them?
>>
>>894262
hey boomer
I just wanted to say that I hope you get raped by a nigger or die from corona like a faggot you are
>>
>>894262
you're free to wallow in obscurity with minimal exposure in an tiny subreddit if that's your ambition
>>
>>894362
LE EDGE XD
winning :^)
>>
>>894262
The point is that YOU should want to do it for your game because it will give you absurdly more exposure. More exposure means more people playing your game, more exposure means more people making mods for your game, more exposure means more interest for the kickstarter that you talk about in the pinned message on your subreddit, and more exposure means more people will see the work of you and everyone on your team. Ever look back at a product that didnt live up to expectations because it didnt do a simple thing and then think "wow why didnt they just do that?" Thats whats going on right now, and people on steam, on reddit, and on here are telling you that. Im trying to give advice in as friendly of a way as I can because I actually like your game. You think that releasing the game on the biggest distribution platform wont do anything, but you are flat out wrong. Theres even proof in this very thread from the Factorio devs. What more do you want?

>>894362
Got him, epic win /b/rother!
>>
you steamnigger seem to forget that to publish on steam you need to put foward a 100$ bond which you get back once you've made 1000$ in sales.... oh wait
>>
File: file.png (93 KB, 326x276)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>space council vote next turn
>in position to win - mine and allies vote should be enough to go over the edge
>space jellyfish arrives, kills my defense fleet and devours my capital, 120 billion dead
>population falls below my ally
>now my ally expects me to vote for him instead as he's above me in pop
>still not enough to win, council will reconvene in 25 years
it must've been sent by cryslonoids
>>
>>894425
I'll contribute a $10 donation if the Steam release has workshop support. Now we're down to $90.
>>
>>894544
the entire game is just a .js file i don't see how steam workshop could be integrated with it
>>
>>894397

It's still a bit more complicated. ROTP. All I will say is that various legal issues with WG are still unresolved but at least discussions are currently moving like cold molasses.
>>
>>894554
Would you become warmer towards Steam if WG became warmer towards you?
>>
>>894557
Absolutely. That is honestly the biggest roadblock right now but I don't really like discussing things that are going on with WG.

They have been very cool about the project but have definitely been involved in ensuring their IP is legally protected. But this project has always existed because WG was cool enough to allow it. That means I can't just start distributing on a platform like Steam without running shit by them.

It was a big win for me to get the ok to sell things like an ROTP manual or sourcebook.
>>
File: file.png (2.2 MB, 1607x1030)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
>>894450
aand everyone voted for cryslonoids in the next election, gg, I can't fight the rest of the galaxy.
Neat little game, I appreciate how you have to transition to politicking near the end of the game to win. Too bad I'm nazlok so everyone hates me. Not sure what I could've done to convince others to ally with me.
>>
>>894564
Have you asked them if it's okay to release on Steam?
>>
>>894575

discussions have been and continue to be ongoing. But I am an ant and not really a priority for their legal dept, so it progresses at their pace.

It's why the race names were changed so close to 1.0.
>>
i had my hopes with this remake but sadly it didn't deliver
its simply crap
>>
>>894671
It's simply MOO.
>>
>>894676
stripped of soul and shitted on
i think i just didn't really get all this ability of boomers to fuck everything they touch until now
>>
>>894677
>this ability of boomers to fuck everything they touch until now

boomers fucking is why you exist.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
>>
>>894677
You mean the very same generation that made the original MOO?
>>
>>894706

please, no logic. let's keep it fair.
>>
ray there is no way that's you and and there is no fuckin way you're posting in this thread. the game is solid, thanks for your efforts
>>
>>894703
fuck of boomer, die in a ditch
>>894706
not the same people anon and not the same time
>>
>>894708

ummm, who has two thumbs and boomer-shat on MOO1? THIS GUY
>>
>>894703
Please don't put that extra space between your greentext and your blacktext.

>>894707
>>894715
Please don't put that extra space between your redtext and your blacktext.
>>
>>894716

>
redtext
>>
>>894717
Friendly reminder that Tomorrow theme users are underage.
>>
@894718
retard I'm making fun of you mentioning redtext because it's such an absurd thing to do
"he can change theme"
"he allows cookies at all"
>>
>>894723
I'm here to help Ray fit in and be a true blue 4channeler. You're welcome, Ray!
>>
>>894726
thanks, but I can never be true blue until I am anonymous, which I obviously won't do for this thread. It's like the wild west in here and I have to go change my Depends like every 15 minutes.
>>
File: Capture.png (1.54 MB, 1588x987)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of production / BC. Each planet I have "makes" BC and I turn the various sliders to pump BC into those things (e.g. ship, def, ind, etc). What confuses me is how "higher level" things really effect my overall BC, namely ship maintenance, spy network, etc. See pic rel, especially Empire Spending at the bottom. So we're saying that each planet is giving up 34.5% of it's production for ship maintenance. If I do the math, each planet is giving up 34.5 + 3.7 + 12 + 5 = 55.2% of it's production (sounds like a LOT) in order to maintain these things in my empire. I'm guessing all of my numbers are normal except for Ship Maintenance, which is incredibly high. My spies indicate I have the strongest fleet among all of the other races, but I guess I'm really paying quite a bit to maintain them.

I also tried to send BC from my Treasury Funds to a newly-colonized planet in order to "boost" it's production but that didn't seem to do a damn thing. What am I missing here?

dub techno fits nicely with the game. very comfy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VZWeKGCMvQ
>>
File: brainlet.png (16 KB, 300x339)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>894820
Something isn't adding up because all of my colonies net BC is about 80% of their gross BC. I would expect net BC to be from the number I calculated above: roughly 55%.
>>
>>894824

you have a lot of trade income which is offsetting those expenses.

Also, colony production can't be boosted by more than 50% in a turn by reserve. If you send more than it can use, it will use it on subsequent turns.

A 50% boost on a tiny colony doesn't help at much at first, but it compounds like interest.
>>
File: induction.png (1.13 MB, 1262x1009)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
What's a good counter against a planet with a Shield Level of 5 and a Base level of 5 because I threw TEN (10) ships of pic related at the planet and it tore through my shit. At first I did Auto-Battle and was confused as to why I got wiped out but after re-doing the battle it appears that my ships are too Laser heavy?
>>
File: THE_FUTURE.png (601 KB, 570x570)
601 KB
601 KB PNG
>>894839
thanks Ray
>>
>>894841

the shields for their missile bases are their planetary shields plus their best deflector shield tech. Every bomb you drop does 3-12 or averages 7.5 points of damage. Their bases probably have shield levels of 7 or 8 so those bombs will not cut off.

Lasers are not effective weapons against planets. Their damage is halved by atmosphere.

It's a tech race. Research bigger bombs (or steal the tech if someone has it) or just throw tons of soldiers at the planet if you can spare the population.
>>
>>894841
enemy defense have 10 shield level defense which mean that nothing outside of some nuc bombs can do any damage
your best pick is small fast bombers with nothing but bombs and plenty of them
>>894839
only 50%?
in OG MoO you could boost it by 100%
>>
>>894820
you want follow colony ships with transport ships with plenty of population
>>
>>894860
I"m sorry. You are correct. It's 100%
>>
>>894870
you better apologize for shitty art you commissioned you fucking boomer
>>
>>894871
go find some tweezers and fap to that granny picture
>>
>>894873
not everyone into granny mutts you double nigger
>>
>>894875
dang it. I was hoping I had hit triple by now. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
>>
>>894877
no I seriously don't get it
>I love MoO
>so I will remake it for modern systems
>so it will be fixed and run better with more options and stuff
>and then I will take big shits all over it with new art and lore directions
why even bother then you faggot?
are you really can't sleep at night if you don't shit on some legacy? and drop your mutt fetishes on it?
how you can even look in mirror and think that you see decent human being?
>>
>>894883
so who's taking MOO1 away from you? You didn't explain that part.
>>
>>894893
i spit on you and your kind
>>
>>894883
How is the lore getting in the way of the game? The game is not interrupting the player every second turn with some lore text dump, you get 1 text when you start and 1 text when you lose/win.
>>
>>894895
the minimalist presentation of MoO is gone, replaced by modern looking shit and badly written fanfic
how you could even look at it and think its good?
you have no taste
>>
>>894898
> you have no taste
Or maybe you have covid
>>
>>894734
should probably name about r*ddit spacing because it's an easy way to fuck up your credibility
itt it work fine because of the boomer energy
>>
>>894921
probably learn*

also just learn to not reply to trolls
a single post calling them nigger is fine, but more and you're just playing in their hand
>>
>>894883
Fuck off retard. Stop shitting up the thread with your retarded niggershines. We get it, you hate the game and you hate boomers. Mod the game to have the original graphics and remove the writing if you hate it so damn much. Go be an autistic faggot somewhere else.
>>
>>889017
The pic that broke /vst/
>>
>>894944
fuck of you faggot
you have no taste and if you want to suck that boomer you can go and do it on reddit
>>
>>894945
I know, it cracks me up. You guys are killing me. Go mod the fucking game already. Oh wait, SOMEONE ALREADY DID so this whole thing is retarded
>>
>>894956
its still shit modded or not
>>
>>891397
You shouldn't be playing MoO 1 on DOSbox, but using the open source engine 1OoM instead. Much better and comes with quality of life features.
>>
>>893146
>--- the human diplomat was intentionally requested to be an old ugly grandma type.
To be fair, the diplomat picture is pretty extreme and will probably get some confused responses even from non-channers.
The people who get mad about a black man or a woman being scientists are just /pol/ schizos and can be ignored though.
>>
File: 1501197863351.png (357 KB, 900x506)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
>>889017
> "Mmmmyesss. Dios Mios they'll never find my gold but I will own all of the galaxy's. The first step is to take over their media" it says as it rubs its hands gleefully
>>
>>895028
Can you make a mod that actually puts this face on the diplomat?
>>
>>889017
WTF
>>
File: galaxy select.png (243 KB, 662x715)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
What did he mean by this
>>
>>895196
it must be darlocks
>>
>>895196
Spiral galaxies are dubious to me simply because the strongest empire's will boil down to whoever spawned in the galactic centre, meaning they have more opportunities to expand.
Its only counteracted if you have a massive galaxy size, but at that point the game becomes more of a massive slog.
>>
>>889017
But... why? All the aliens look good.
>>
>>892968
The link for the art mod is broken as of 9 fucking months ago.
>>
File: zorg.jpg (80 KB, 900x563)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>895223
The human in the game reminds me a bit of Gary Oldman in the Fifth Element
>>
WHY IS THE FUCKING GAME A SINGLE 10000GB FILE

jesus christ how hard is it to implement a folder structure conductive with modding
>>
File: nad3str.jpg (265 KB, 800x600)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>895230
is this you? put on your glasses
>>
>>895235
So you don't think there are any similarities?
>>
File: WinSplash.jpg (340 KB, 1229x768)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>imagine that you could put any of these as face of the humanity(yes even nigger) but put granny mystery meat instead
>>
>>889170
>board is for adults
lmao how ridiculous that sounds
>>
>>894956
What is the next step after this release? Do you plan on doing the same thing for MoO2?
Also don't mind these retards, they expect top notch art from free indie game. I'm finally glad I can play this outside of dosbox.
>>
>>895319
Ray has indicated he wants to make some new changes that deviate from MOO 1 gameplay, though its all still in the theorycraft state, essentially
>water planets
>new species with water planet preference
>revamp of terraforming
>hard to make planetary improvements that provide strategic benefits
He details it more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/rhatgx/general_outline_for_11_release/
>>
>>895245
>All those mysterymeats and mutts
>No Slavs as far as eye can see
As a proud POC (person of color) im appalled at the dev racism
>>
>>894883
If nothing else, it makes for a good conversation topic. Without it the thread would've lasted 10 replies max, half of them saying: 'fuck off shill'.
Instead, you get a bunch of hilariously offended folks threatening to mod in hentai avatars and concentration camps for blacks and stuff. It might not be the best publicity, but it's completely free.
>>
>>895319
>they expect top notch art
The bare minimum effort that I expect:
>light skin tone
>pretty face
>clear feminine features on females
>clear masculine features on males
That's literally it, it's not hard. It's not expensive. Why do you have to be retarded about it?
>>
>>895374
incels dot is forum is over there >>> https://incels.is/
>>
>>895375
Stop being racist against incels, they are people just like me and you
>>
>>895363
>concentration camps for blacks
You might be onto something there.
>>
File: Ssss_year1056.png (1.08 MB, 1601x1006)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
alright Raybros I am trying again, this time as the Sssssslaura. Just expanding hard this time. I gunned it for the 5 light-year warp speed tech. Is it a decent strategy to "butter up" the AI and give them BC and tech? I'd like to form an alliance with the Altairi, but as of right now they aren't even interested in a non-aggression pact.
>>
>>895439
I would never trade/gift any technology that boosts the economy or improves ship range or speed.
>>
>>895500
This, in any game that allows trading technology i always buy all the tech i can but never sell any.
>>
>>895500
>>895513
hmm so what's the general strategy for gaining relations with AI? I've found that I get a lot of relation bonuses for giving them technology, not so much for giving them BC.
>>
>>895513
Trading mundane tech for good tech is viable, though the AI is smart enough to not offer good tech easily at times.
If some empire is offering ship range bonus tech in exchange for some meh tech like long range scanners, do it.
>>
File: Ssss_year1114.png (1.24 MB, 1604x1019)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>895439
I have formed an alliance with the Altairi and we are now in a joint war against the Kholdan and the Fiershan. I'm interested to see how the Altairi AI fights this war.
>>
>>895533
just like in the real world, the positive effect of gifts is short-lived. The best way to get on someone's good side is to find out who they are at war with and join the fight. Trade treaties can also provide a nice benefit.

Watch out for the "paranoia" penalty. This happens whenever you are occupying a world that they were the first to colonize. This will always be a problem, but abandoning those colonies will remove the paranoia. It all depends on how badly you want to be friends...
>>
>>895319
Right now Petar is working on the artwork for a new aquatic race. No, not mermaids. Jeff is currently working on the background lore for each race for the eventual sourcebook and will write the game text for the new race when he starts getting artwork.

I will be sealing off 1.0 development with the next update so that I can finally focus on 2.0 development. There will be some new mechanics and strategic options, plus the new race. There is a decent chance I will be able to switch to multiple planets per system (up to 4) without breaking the slider model.
>>
File: Ssss_year1161.png (1.07 MB, 1604x1036)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>895571
thanks. I am pressing on the attack against the Fiershan's but I'm very worried about the Kholdan's, their fleet strength is absolutely insane.

the game isn't terribly clear as to what's happening to my ally, the Altairi. Maybe I'm just paying attention to that upper section of the map but I've had to use the Race History tool (very nifty by the way) to really figure out that the Kholdan's are really hurting the Altairi.
>>
>>895578
**not paying attention to that upper section
>>
>>895374
The only character that doesn't fit your ramblings is the weird diplomat which the are already mods that take care of.
>>895324
>No Slavs
>Council image that shows the leaders of humanity shows a Russian woman (and a German man for what it's worth).
Nice, I'd say play the game but since the image is near the beginning of the thread I'll just say stop being a faggot instead.
>>
>>895500
>>895513
>sell missile tech to the AI
>it's the best weapon they have so they spam them
>build up your fleet with jammers
>steamroll them
>>
>>895585
this guy gets AIs
>>
>>895575
So this new aquatic race will be a self-made one instead of one from MoO 2 or 3?
>>
>>895575
>aquatic race
>no fish tits
wasted potential, again
basic marketing 101: sex sells
>>
>>895667
Just because they're not mermaids doesn't mean there won't be fish tits.
There will be fish tits, right?
>>
>>895699
here ya go. https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/enfuturama/images/f/fb/Why_Must_I_Be_a_Crustacean_in_Love%3F_%28Main_Episode%29_-_112.png
>>
>>895641
It's intended to fill a gameplay niche in MOO1. The new races in MOO2 often don't fit in the MOO1 game design.
The Trilarians as a Lovecraftian race has been done to death, already, so we probably won't be going in that direction
>>
File: la atrocidad.jpg (374 KB, 700x835)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>889017
DIOS MIO
>>
>>895780
It looks like some kind of Asian Black Indian Spic mutt, which I guess is pretty accurate for the future of the human race
>>
human diplomat artwork mod
https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/rsd4i3/artwork_mod_for_rotp_10/
>>
>>895780
la creatura...
>>
File: salute.jpg (9 KB, 252x233)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>895956
based modders
>>
>>895956
Does this mean creating derivative works of ROTP art is allowed?
>>
>>889017
la creatura transgalactica...
>>
>>896040
that's a good point. Petar is the copyright holder for that, I should run it by him for his ok
>>
>>895956
>r*ddit
>>
Fowler? I hardly knew her!!
>>
>>896052
I literally made the same point earlier and you just brushed it off, I'm guessing you finally read your own license >>894208
>>
also holy fuck you just enabled monetization of the game on itch BUT YOU'RE TOO PUSSY TO ADD IT ON STEAM because of some copyright worries? what the fuck is this retardation
>>
File: barista.jpg (76 KB, 740x494)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>896136
have a cup of coffee on me Ray! cheers for a great game
>>
I am tweaking Ship and Tech for a given planet.. at 0 RP in Tech, I will make a ship in 3 years. I will still make that ship in 3 years if I take the Tech slider up to 43 RP. So with that said, is there any benefit in having (a) the Ship slider at 3 years and the Tech slider at 0 RP, or should I have (b) the Ship slider at 3 years and the Tech slider at 43 RP? Do I get "any more Ship" in scenario (a)?
>>
>>896136
Iirc his plan is to have free 1.0 but anything beyond that will be paid.
Funny guy this dev
>>
My missile bases keep getting destroyed but enemy spies and yet my Security Tax is up to the max up 10%. Is there anything else I can do to stop these enemy spies?
>>
>>896136
I talk to Wargaming and you don't.
>>
>>896157
f you max out ship spending, you'll be able to tune down spending in the final year... if you don't, that excessive spending will go towards building the next ship of that type qn the following turn.

If you switch to a new design "B" or stop shipbuildilng completely, that excess ship money you spent will be saved on the colonly and applied to the next ship you build. So you don't lose it.

If
>>
>>896203
>I talk to Wargaming
The company? The website? The genre of tabletop games? The genre of video games?
To what "wargaming" are you talking to?
>>
>>896203
Do you want me to talk to them? I can write them an email and ask them to greenlight Steam. I can even call them on the phone, if that works better.
>>
Ray, wtf? Can you confirm this >>896158???

You develop the ugliest remake I ever seen for free up until 1.0 but then CHARGE for further updates??? Why would I even bother to pay for that crap if I can get the original which has aged like wine?
>>
>>890241
War often requires diplomacy as well as great organisational capacity.
>>
>>896209
I think you should keep playing the original. No one is taking it from you. Anyone who actually likes ROTP can play that.
>>
>>896142
Thanks, it's appreciated! I also appreciate the troll letting everyone in the thread know while using it as a pretext to insult me. I need more enemies like that.
>>
>>896158
yea that would explain the hesitation, wouldn't want to compete with his own product is probably trying to release with original assets on this new engine and get a % of profit
I can't think of any other reason why anyone would give a fuck about what Wargaming has to say when you're already monetizing it
>>
>>896213
Look, Ray. I commend you for your work, coding something for 6 years straight requires serious dedication but if you want to make money, you could have just made your own game in the mean time. Copy MoO and add your twist or whatever, like Rimworld did with Dwarf Fortress, but don't just charge money for painting an existing game with a second coat. I would go full Nintendo and sue your ass if you did that to my game.
>>
>>896218
You are presuming a confrontational relationship with Wargaming that doesn't exist. I was never going to fly under their radar as they were aware of this project when it was literally 3 months old and Chris Keeling was one of the 12 people who volunteered to try out the first alpha.
This project has always been a derivative of their IP. They know it and I know it, and changing a few names in the language files isn't going to change that. So if they say no Steam, then it's no Steam. If they say shut down the project, then it shuts down. I didn't give a shit about monetization until the translation costs made me their bitch. fml, but a promise is a promise so I paid for them.
In the end, I've made the game I've always wanted to make and WG has been very cool to me throughout the entire life of the project, so I'm not going to fuck up what has been a good relationship with them.
>>
>>896233
????????? are you new mate
you literally released everything under gnu/gpl and creative commons
if they agreed to that, which they 100% did based on your words then there is absolutely fuck all they can legally do about a steam release
>>
>>896240
the code
>>
>>896247
I give up man you don't understand basic concepts or refuse to read what CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 entails, either way you're one dense motherfucker
>>
>>896259
I don't think you can read either. I have stated repeatedly that I did not start this project for money, so it's like you are asking me to fight a battle with WG that I have zero interest or incentive in doing. It's a free game for MOO1 fans that I made as a hobby, that's it. WG is cool with that. The src license is designed to share with other people, and that's the end of it. Why is that so complicated for people to understand?
>>
>>896205
The MoO rightsholders.
I thought the website at first and was confused, too.
>>
>>896259
You sound like someone who is versed enough in law to know that in cases like this it is not about what is or isn't legally permissible but is instead about what the rights holder will or won't allow. If at any time the rights holder doesn't like the project then they can threaten legal action and it goes away, even if the dev hasn't done anything legally wrong. Unless this guy is secretly loaded he almost certainly can't afford the legal fees that would go into defending his rights against WG and probably doesn't want to have to pull his game down for however many months the legal proceedings would take even if he could afford them. I'm all for dev bashing but the shitty biased legal system is at fault here, not necessarily him, and if WG says donations are OK but a Steam release isn't for whatever reason (which he seems to be hunting at) then that's where the line is for now, as nonsensical a line as it is.
>>
this fucking boomer, I swear
>>
>>896433
Hold on, why are you on the boomer board while not being a boomer?
>>
>>896437
this fucking amerikanski boomer, I swear
better?
>>
>>892691
extremely easy to run if you use a non-retarded number of planets (say <200)
>>
>>895218
dude its a swastika
>>
>>892691
Nothing written today will run on 90s era specs unless you write it in C and use 90s era video resolution and do things like limit galaxy size to 100 stars and AI opponents to 5.

ROTP can generate galaxies of tens of thousands of stars, up to 50 opponents and can run on a Raspberry Pi. Save game files are small and performance is tuned pretty well compared to space 4X games written by big studios
>>
>>896433
I'm 6 years younger than the guy who wrote the original game. It's boomers all the way down!
>>
>>893146
> I chose Java because it's the #1 used language in the world
lol no
>compare it to other 4X games
It's not just about speed and 9/10 4X games are turn-based which mean speed isn't that important.
>>
>>897526
there are poorly tuned 4X games that will melt your CPU. There are some that have ridiculously huge save game files that will eat up your drive space.
Tuning for performance is important for any game.
>>
>>897541
Don't compare yourself to PDX, those retards are on another plane of shitty coding. Even drunk pajeets high on meth could do better than them.
>>
>>897546
one rule of programming is that "your code" is obvious and trivial and any monkey could get it to work, whereas "my code" is complex and nuanced so obviously its going to take time and have bugs.
>>
>>897629
The only rule of programming is that you're a nigger if you don't build your own compiler.
I don't know what Terry have/would have said about interpreted language like Java and Python tho.
>>
File: 1640904301860.jpg (44 KB, 719x511)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>890427
I'm always willing to check out a free game in this genre but I have only seen whites and a handful of asians playing these games. The replies in this thread are too try hard for me. Just because it's free doesn't mean that it can't be shilled. Plenty of itch games get released as paid content on steam. The attitude of the dev or his fanbase is enough to avoid it. Just because it has a reddit thread doesn't mean it's shit, but calling people faggots doesn't bode well for it. Instead of taking constructive criticism, they double down on it. I don't have high hopes for it just based on how people are acting here.
>>
>>890427
I don't really understand your point either. You're assuming that every white person wants to have sexy, blonde avisors in their games? That's just your personal preference. You're asking why didn't the dev pander to your preferences, since you are the "audience"? Well, because he made the game for himself. I really doubt that the guy had the intention of targetting a specific audience with this game.

>>897685
Dude, it's MoO 1 with a better interface and AI. There's not much to check out if you've ever played the original in the past. If you like MoO then you'll like this one, if you don't then you won't.
>>
>>898109
oops I forgot my name
I'm trans btw
>>
>>898199
No one believes that lol. You need to be more believable.
>>
>>889170
That's why he apologized.
>>
>>897685
You shouldn't let the behaviors of others affect your outlook of things anon. Especially if that behavior is people calling other people faggot on 4chan.
>>
>>889017
>>
>>889866
90% of the troll posts are from a single nigger
>>
>>891397
>if you are having problems running it on DOSbox
i've been playing MOO for 30 fuckin years faggot. i was in the galciv 2 beta and some of my suggestions made it into the game. likewise, some of my suggestions made it into ROTP.
i'm just a truck driver who likes strategy games.
>>
>>890191
*the* generic space 4x
>>
>>890893
>It's pretty old-school.
in 1993 it shipped on 4 floppies.
>>
>>892598
>meklar scientist
>>
>>892807
just wait til they find the cool part of reddit
>>
>>893520
>coming in release 5.0
>>
>>894841
>What's a good counter
generic answer: speed
>>
>>895066
you could, if you weren't a fucking faggot.
>>
>>895196
bigdipper.jpg
>>
>>895439
in MOO i would have tried to take fieras and then altair immediately after.
>>
>>894206
It's totally stupid to create an open source game with such restrictive license for artwork. How others are supposed to contribute if alteration is not possible!?
NonCommercial is already against the spirit of GPL, but this can be somehow understood. NoDerivatives is a braindead choice and goes totally against the spirit of open source.

Seems there is a demand for MoO1 clone that:
- supports larger galaxies and more races like this one
- introduces better open-source artwork in the spirit of original
- isn't written in Java and isn't so bloated (1GB download for a MoO1 clone!? original was 10MB)
>>
>>896082
b'gock
>>
File: rotp.jpg (95 KB, 880x880)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>900209
>(1GB download for a MoO1 clone!? original was 10MB)
>>
>>889032
The fact you think you're being cucked as soon as you see a black person is pretty hilarious.
>>
>>889866
>a pure soul project
pure shit project you mean
>>
>>898109
>You're assuming that every white person wants to have sexy, blonde avisors in their games?

Not him, but yes. It may come off as a shock to you, but people enjoy looking at attractive women more than at LA CREATURA
>>
>>900230
There was an oversight in that image. About 60% of the 5.7% for text was actually font files. So it's really about 3.4% fonts, 2.3% actual text.

It would be impossible to create a modern game with nice images with a 10Mb download. There is a mod that shrinks all of those files down as small as possible and the total size drops to about 300M.
>>
>>890715
And then we have this retarded mutt right here who don't have any argument
>>
>>900112
Based and grizzled strategy vet
>>
>>892709
Niggers like you make my day
>>
>>888946
Literally the best 4X ever made fight me cunts
>>
>>889315
You would be correct :0
>>
>>889866
Extremely, edgefags need to go back to /pol/. Wish this board wasn’t ruined by man children with micro penises who need to out edge eachother like fucking autistic chimps
>>
>>900523
ok

What exactly makes it the best in the genre? If you look at it piece by piece, from the mechanics to graphics, sound design to ui design, there are plenty of games that outdo Precursors, even if you take a holistic approach. I am aware that it's a remake of an old classic and as such asset quality isn't the selling point but I still believe there are better 4x games even if I restrict my criticism to only the mechanics.
>>
>>900523
better than Distant Worlds? Genuinely asking, have never played MOO wondering if I should spend the time to jump in this
>>
>>900767
Look, I know I am the dev and I am biased, but I remade this game because I truly believe that the mechanics of this game are the best in the genre. So while I am happy to concede all of the points about graphics and animation (that shit is expensive), I think mechanically nothing beats MOO1 and, by extension, MOO1 plus improvemnts in ROTP.
>>
>>900523
I like MoO2 more, but I understand and respect your opinion.
>>
>>900798
MOO2 is undoubtedly a great game. What bounced me personally off of it was the colony micro. I was already getting that in the Civ series and it was nice to not have to deal with it in MOO1.
>>
>>900523
MoO2 is better, but that's ok I don't want to hurt your feeling.
Fags keep complaining about the micro, but you can just have a queue or the autobuild. You shouldn't need to micro more than 6 planet to win unless you're shit or autistic.
>>
>>900808
ok Jussie
>>
>>900209
You can reuse the assets for the art in the game as long as you give credit to the artist. There are mods already that do that and no one has gotten in trouble. This licensing thing is probably just because of that Stellaris mod bullshit from however many years ago it was. Just credit assets when you should and you'll be fine.
>>
I love cocks btw
>>
oops wrong thread, how do I delete my post?
>>
>>900831
If anyone wants to modify the assets, they need to contact the copyright holders per the license. Pretty straightforward.
>>
>>900842
What do we do if the copyright holder loses their email access, or dies?
>>
communists asking "but how can we best steal this"
>>
>>900794
So why not actually play MOO1? >>894996
>>
>>900794
>plus improvements in ROTP
mechanically sure, there is more options and better UI but seriously you missed on aesthetics, both graphics and music and alien interactions
>>
>>894996
actually good idea
thanks anon
at last it doesn't look like dogs vomit
>>
File: autism kamille.jpg (52 KB, 860x644)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
I really think now that the human leader is a reference to Rubinsky from LOGH. While playing MoO2 I noticed/remembered about the "Zeon Missile". There isn't anything "Zeon" outside of Gundam. If the devs knew about Gundam79 during the 90s, there is no way don't know about LOGH another big sci-fi novel/anime from Japan.

Now I will admit not being a big otaku during the 90s, but surely you got to be quite the big nerd to know about those during the 90s? Like fansubbed VHS trading tier at least.
>>
>>900936
Because MoO1 is missing a lot of quality of life features ... unless you play it using 1oom.
https://kilgoretroutmaskreplicant.gitlab.io/plain-html/

However, even then, Remnants sounds like it has much better AI opponents, but I don't know about that for sure.
>>
>>901825
anyone have compiled version?
>>
>>902022
Are you retarded? The binaries are there.
>>
>>902568
yes
>>
>>901825
>Remnants sounds like it has much better AI opponents, but I don't know about that for sure.
If you don't know then don't bother bringing that up as a point.
>>
>>902596
On normal difficulty, it doesn’t cheat at all, unlike moo1.
>>
>>901825
i played few matches and AI feel devoid of personality
even erratic one behave like good goy and love trade, never throw a fit
>>
>>902596
>If you don't know then don't bother bringing that up as a point.
I know that one of the AIs was made by the guy who also works on the AI for Gladius, which was one I liked.
>>
>>902693
Erratic leaders can randomly declare war though. Maybe you were just lucky. Have you played on very hard because they are ruthless at that setting. The strategy at that setting is turtle up with enough planets and out tech them.
>>
>>903032
Nevermind I thought you were talking about MoO1. I don't know about the ai of Remnants yet.
>>
>>890694
>You see, I'm not racist. I just hate ugly people.
So you hate yourself.
>>
>>900154
idk, even their porn is a bit attention seeky and weird
>>
File: 1450087986847.jpg (84 KB, 640x480)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>901762
Oh and the Artemis Net is a reference to the Artemis Necklace. There are too much refs to LOGH to be coincidental.
>>
Release 1.02 is now available at: https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors
>>
tfw found a glitch on moo2 even with all the patch

If you fight an enemy ship that lost its shield in a previous battle(system destroyed and no advanced dmg control), you will not be able to board it with the transporter. Game think the shield is up for the transporter but not for weapons so you will never be able to hit this phantom shield.
>>
>>902693
You're probably playing on too low of a difficulty, so the AI is too handicapped to think war is a good option.

If the AI feels it's outmatched, it will trade with neighbors to try to a) regain their footing and b) make themselves more appealing as an ally than a target.
>>
>>908466
things worked normally on same difficulty for MoO
and sure maybe AI is smarter but its more boring to play
>>
>>889017
>mixed race jew chink slav eurasian feminine thing
A likely future, but honestly lovecraftian
>>
>>900532
I'm completely serious, these are my actual opinions that I hold in real life, now go back to /r/4chan
>>
bamp
>>
>>889017
This design is so bad that I really like it. Now I think of humans as the jews of the setting.
>>
>>892220
>paid for that
I hope it was cheap lol
>>
>>889017
>human
That's a Bogdanoff, baby!
>that pic was a paid commission
lollin hard
>>
>>890022
>Check how hard it would be to do graphic mod
>It's animated through .txt files
https://github.com/rayfowler/rotp-public/tree/master/src/rotp/races/Human
>>
>>893349
IIRC it's actually an IRL female scientist.
>>
File: 1559259982064.jpg (121 KB, 1024x576)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>893146
If you really are the dev, thanks a lot for your version of Master of Orion 1. I only played MoO1 for the first time a couple of years ago and I liked it a lot. I enjoyed your more modern take on it a lot too but I have yet to play the current version.
>>
>>900801
What do you think of Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars? I liked it but I wish they based it on Master of Orion 1 instead of 2. It's also a shame they went with starlanes or hyperlanes or whatever the game would have been a lot better if it had free movement.
>>
>>915188
First of all, thanks for your comments. I amglad that you are enjoying ROTP!

With regards to MOO:CTS, it was made in the same mold as MOO2 so it has a lot of structural issues that existed in that game. Starlanes are always controversial and they seem like an artificial construct but I think a lot more players like them than we'd like to admit (as with real-time combat) or else WG would not have put them in the game.

I've said it elsewhere, but I do like how MOO:CTS was able to deftly transition the Gnolams away from the Space Jew trope in MOO2 while still nodding towards it (golden calves). I'll probably follow that model as well whenever ROTP2 comes out in the distant future.
>>
Runs pretty good so far compared to Free Orion which melts my weaker laptop. Because of certain design quirks I think I still prefer FO for the time being, though.
>>
>>915632
Ship design limit and no refit really irks a lot of people
>>
Hey Ray, how come you disappeared and stopped posting for many days after >>900848?
>>
>>915964
its part of the design
>>
>>915436
Thanks for your work, I have always felt that MOO successors have lost the plot so I am happy you are revisiting it
>>
>>889017
>duuuuhhh i human bean so i pick human bean
Get fucked.
>>
>>915968
I'm not here to bump this thread. If someone has questions, I'll answer them.
>>
>>916033
Here's a question:

>If anyone wants to modify the assets, they need to contact the copyright holders per the license. Pretty straightforward.
What do we do if the copyright holder loses their email access, or dies?
>>
>>916040
That's probably a question best answered by a copyright lawyer.
>>
I'll add my 2 cents. Not to try and convince you to do steam access, but I would like the auto-updating and workshop integration.

Also quick question: Can license-anon help with this? If I replace the art, music, and flavour writing and change the name, can I then add steam integration and sell the game? Not often you find a (good) finished game with such a permissive license. Reminds of the One-Hour One-Life game where the license allowed the chinese to sell the game on their app store. Might be able to make an easy few thousand by spamming it and raising awareness.
>>
>>889017
Ugly in a good way.
>>
>>916335
I have an informal agreement with Wargaming that involves them allowing the ROTP project to continue as long as the game is not sold. I cannot speak to how they would react to someone trying to sell a clone of a game that they consider part of their IP. Proceed at your own risk, imo.
>>
>>916111
based trips of shut-the-fuck-up
>>
Try it bros you will not regret.
>>
>>916335
>If I replace the art, music, and flavour writing and change the name, can I then add steam integration and sell the game?
Yes, if you do all of the above you can safely ignore any requests from original authors as long as you adhere to GNU/GPL3. Since you are no dealing with any art/lore assets which are under by-nc-nd4, you can legally upload and maintain your own open source fork on steam.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

You can also ignore whatever "wargaming" or anyone else cries about, as they do not hold any patents or copyright to any of the sourcecode involved. Some variable names and internal labels use names of MMO1 races I think, but that's too esoteric of a problem for me and can be solved by a simple rename without affecting anything.

tl:dr: ray released the source under GNU/GPL3 and there is literally nothing he can do to stop you from releasing your own fork, assuming you don't use his trademark and art/lore/sound assets which are under a non-derivative license. Even then the non-derivative assets only mean you can't modify the assets, not that you can't use them. You can still use them for non-commercial purposes as long as you credit the authors, even without the authors permission.
>>
I'd also like to add that Ray is a cuck that cucked himself out of money by not selling his game because a bigger corporation made a similar game.
>>
>>920825
its even worse than that
he is fucking retarded boomer
>commission art
>do not won right to it
>ask Wargaming for permissions
>still changes the names and design
>pay money for new design
>its fucking hideous
>claim to make MoO copy
>rewrite lore and interactions for the worse
I don't get it
if you want to meddle with lore/race designs/etc why just not make a clone with new one?
or at last hire artist who could keep with original aesthetics?
>>
>>920825
>>920869
yeah, he's a big retard
he could have not used the lore and just do a gameplay clone if it's that bad instead of pushing his retarded human backstabbing kike-mutt bullshit

people who hate human in sci-fi and fantasy setting are almost always furries and other delusional faggots like them
>>
>>920869
>>commission art
>>do not won right to it
It's surprising how common this retardation is in indie games. At least they can't revoke use of assets at any time, unlike in other retard-managed projects I've seen.
>>
I don't really get how he can look at RotP art or writing and think that its immersive or good
do all american boomers have that much shit taste?
>>
>>922632
This pic make the silicoïd look like innocence race, but in reality they are a bunch of dumb rock-eating faggots that bloat during early game and by the endgame their bullying of other races catch up to them and they die like little bitches
>>
File: moo_chibi_lineup.jpg (112 KB, 740x540)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>922661
>>
File: file.png (1.9 MB, 859x2435)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
>>922674
do people ever hired him to make something aside cortex command?
>>
>>922738
dunno
back to RotP
i think the game would be better if you replace current race graphics by stock photos of animals
>humans=monkeys
>mrsshan=cats
>sakra=lizards
>bulrathi=bears
>meklars=toasters
>psilons=octopus
>silicoid=rocks
>alkari=birds
>darlocks=coats on hangersor spiders
>klackons=ants
>>
>silicoidfags
>>
>>920825
ROTP was never made with the intention of turning a profit. I am not some needy indie developer trying to leech Kickstarter funds from strangers desperately trying to pretend I am the next Sid Meier or John Carmack.

ROTP was always made with the intention of burning some of the money that I had made as a professional developer in order to bring a forgotten classic game back to modern audiences, and especially the MOO1 gamers who were stuck playing in DOSBox. I honestly don't give a shit what some rando anon troll thinks about what I do. I enjoyed making the game, the emails I get from MOO1 players, and having a good working relationship with Wargaming, and there is absolutely nothing that anyone online can say or do to change that.

Spending money on a hobby that brings that much enjoyment to your life is always money well spent. I don't cuck myself in the pursuit of money, rather I use money to improve my life.
>>
>>924392
if you wanted bring back MoO1 than why you abandon its aesthetics?
if you secured good connection with wargaming there should be not a big deal to use old or even new MoO style
that is why I don't get you
its like you take old car, fix the engine and the interior and then shit on it and scrape it outside with nails, sure it may run better and be more comfortable but also looks like shit and stinks
explain this because its beyond my comprehension
and nobody trolling you , people just giving you honest opinions, if you are unable to deal with don't come here
>>
>>924970
Your opinion of the aesthetic is definitely in the fringe minority, even among MOO1 veterans. The good news for you is that no one has taken MOO1 away from you, so you can still continue to play it as always.
>>
>>925020
>Your opinion of the aesthetic is definitely in the fringe minority
What's your samplesize? Heavily moderated echo chambers where any dissenting opinion was long removed?
>>
>>925020
did you made any survey?
because if you count only your subreddit and think that its representative then you are simply delusional
>>
>>925176
Thanks for outing yourself. Literally two people have been banned from the subreddit over 5+ years and both for being consistently disruptive and argumentative.

I am very much a free speech advocate but that doesn't mean I'm going let people walk into my living room and piss on the rug just because they think it would be funny to see how I would react.
>>
>>926088
you really have your head full of shit if you think that anyone here would bother visiting reddit
stay in your echo chamber and smell your farts
>>
>>926088
>Thanks for outing yourself.
Where the fuck do you think you are friend?
>>
bamp

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.