[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 11 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Distant_Worlds_cover.jpg (99 KB, 463x215)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Redpill me on DW:U. Is it Stellaris, but good? How's the AI? Suicidal or passable? Aggressive or passive? How's the performance? Does it have cool strategic decisions or is it a solved game? What about the game's private sector? Is it well simulated or just a marketing gimmick?
>>
>>850210
>How's the AI? Suicidal or passable? Aggressive or passive?
Depends on your settings. The settings are very modular, so you can fine-tune for however aggressive/passive/strong/weak you want the ai to be.

>How's the performance?
I never had issue with performance at any point during playing.

>Does it have cool strategic decisions or is it a solved game?
It is randomly generated world. Is EU3/4 or CK2 or Stellaris a "solved game"? What does "solved game" mean? The game has a lot of different tech paths, you could go for a heavy tank with a gravity well that paralyzes enemy ships coupled with fast ships that move in to torpedo when enemy is stuck, or carrier based fleets, or something else. You can also go for boarding and transports with teched armies to occupy planets rather than blockading them. With all said, there's fun variations you can do. There are 3 main weapon tech paths, and in vanilla one path of main weapons is clearly better than the others when you reach the end of the tech tree, but this is fixed in mods.

>What about the game's private sector? Is it well simulated or just a marketing gimmick?
They build private transport ships that buy/transport stuff from your resource-gathering outposts, they can apparently build resource-gathering stations themselves but for me it always felt more efficient to just build all of them myself. If you need to build a ship in your shipyard private ships have to go get the materials and transport them there. It is neat, but not some super important aspect of the game in my opinion.

All in all fun but flawed game, looking forward to dw2.
>>
>>850228
>What does "solved game" mean?
Solved game means that there is one clear way of winning, i.e. Stellaris is a solved game because the general strategy is:
>colonize as much defensible clusters as possible
>have enough alloys to scare off AIs
>maximize science and unity production
>outtech the AI
>win
Civ 4 isn't a solved game (in spite of existence of clearly OP strategies like GP spam), because it forces you to do strategic decisions and react to changes in the world, i.e. another empire got Hinduism before you, so you need to shift your strategy to rush Monotheism for Judaism.
>>
>>850228
>All in all fun but flawed game
What are the flaws?
>>
>>850241
There are many different ways to play, and various races also fit different playstyles. Exterminate neighbours, or conquer and enslave them, or make a multicultural state, or just colonize with your own species, or do diplomacy.

>>850245
Lots of micromanagement needed, from invading planets with transports and getting them loaded up and ready to move on to another planet, building stations, organizing fleets, setting up and sending out arrays and sensors, dealing with pirates, having to redesign all your ships every time you reach a new key tech.
The game is pretty fun when you start out and it kept me going for a good 250~ hours, but the longer the game goes on the more stuff is going on everywhere and it becomes sort of messy. For the right person all of this can be very rewarding though, and it definitely is those times you hit a sweet-spot in ship design and fleet composition, give it a try.
>>
Isn't DW2 coming out sometime soon?
>>
>>850210
private sector is a meme in the game, but I like the idea of having to compete with another piece of your own empire, kinda removes the central planned economy perfect rational state that most strategy games reflect. Really needed a coherent way to see prices of goods though. I would say it's *solved* in the way that you're going to throttle taxing to a bare minimum for most of the game to encourage growth until pops hit max. Government styles are fluff mostly because they don't make hard changes in how your gov functions, just adjusts multipliers.

And most of the technologies are boring.
>>
>>850333
>soon
its been pushed hella way back to 2022.
>>850245
like most strategy games, AI is so so. they fail at ship designs and army management. though early game, pirates can be a real pain in the ass makes for a good challenge.
>>
>>850210
>Is it Stellaris, but good?
/r/ing that 'what you wanted/what you got' meme for DW
to summarize, its looks like a plain spess 4x, but in reality its some deep spreadsheed spesship building combined with some deep economic simulator
best way to play imo is to just go full manual with scarce galaxy and roleplay the expanse

>>850678
>its been pushed hella way back to 2022.
shiet, haven't heard from it for a while as well, any big news?
>>
>>850210
>solved game
even to this day im not really sure what the meta is for ship building beyond maybe having multiple/redundant parts so if one gets broken there's still a second one
>>
My only gripe with this game is ships not patrolling what I ordered them to patrol.
>>
>>850710
>any big news?
not that i know, its been pushed back to 2022 for EA.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (99 KB, 624x578)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>850861
correction, full release looks to be in 2022
>>
>>850861
>>850865
good news, but has there been any of those development diary showcase or something?
>>
>>851323
There has been some gameplay from almost a year ago and some from half a year ago. Just look up the yt channel of the developer.
>>
>>851323
yes six so far, probably another one next month
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1531540/announcements/detail/3101285480906607415
just go through the announcements. the one linked above goes through the economy.
>>
>>850747
Because ship combat is unresponsive.

>>850316
Different ways to play and one way to win.
>>
>>850865
dont do DW2, just focus on AI optimization, also just polish this rough diamond which distant worlds is

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.