[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Version2_17.jpg (112 KB, 620x465)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
If you haven't played Spellforce 1 in the past 6 months, the developers added a major update out of nowhere that improves the game significantly - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/39540/view/3113651356100192240

A modding scene for 1 has also sprung up since 2018, and there are already several major overhaul mods. The most ambitious of these is Spellforce Reimagined, which adds a ton of new fully voiceacted content to the OC and a playable undead faction. Worth checking out if you love the game. https://www.nexusmods.com/spellforce1/mods/5

Spellforce 3 Reforced is coming out on December 7th as well. The main features are...

- A major rework of the OC to use the same mechanics as the expansion
- Journey mode - 3's version of free game mode from 1 & 2. Supports custom maps.
- Arena mode - An endless wave based survival mode
- Gamepad support (will simultaneously launch on consoles)

Personally I am most excited for Journey mode. It should have been in the game at release, along with a third person camera.
My only concerns are that the game will be dumbed down for consoles, and that they wont give you the option to retain the slower vanilla gameplay experience, as flawed as it was.
>>
>>848616
If I already own Spellforce 3 and its expanions on GOG, will I get the Reforced for free or will I have to buy it again?
Also, I wonder if Reforced is adding new content to the campaign, because I could swear that a lot of companion content was cut from the vanilla game.
>>
>>848656
Reforced was promised as a free update, but I don't know exactly how it will work with the expansions. The most we have to go on is this playstation store page
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4389-CUSA28725_00-SPELLFORCE3PS4US
>>
Came back to this thread because I feel like ranting for a moment. While I think 3 is currently a good game and respect Grimlore for supporting it for so long, I still can't help but feel annoyed that it has taken over four years and two paid expansions for it to ALMOST reach feature-parity with the first game released in 2003 (it's still missing a lot of cool shit like day/night cycles and third person perspective), which is frequently on sale for $2. And while 3 is far more accessible and polished than 1, it doesn't even come close to matching its ambition, creativity, and uniqueness. Everything from gameplay to the story to the worldbuilding has been greatly streamlined and made to feel more generic. Many people mistake Spellforce for a generic Warcraft clone, even though it's anything but. It seems like Grimlore made that mistake as well, because the game feels far more like Warcraft 4 than a true Spellforce successor. Maybe it was intentional though. Afterall, Warcraft 3 sold 10x more than Spellforce did back in the day. At least Grimlore made an attempt to listen to fans after the game released, and they are obviously talented too. I wouldn't be opposed to them making a Spellforce 4 at any rate.
>>
>>848747
Games are more expensive to make now and RTS is a dead genre. Not to mention weird Eurojank hybrid genres are already niche as fuck. I'm amazed it got made at all.
>>
>>849545
dumbass have you been in a coma for the past few years, theres a huge resurgence in rts
>>
>>849590
Nah
>>
>>849590
huh?
>>
Sell me on this game. From what I’m reading this game is a rpg/rts? It sounded like someone took warcraft 3 but expanded on the rpg aspect.
>>
>>850041
So it's not really much like Warcraft 3. It just looks that way from the aesthetic.
First off, Spellforce is as much of an RPG as it is an RTS. There are 8 attributes, 7 "classes", 16 specialization skills, and over 100 scaling abilities. Sounds complex, right? Well so is the RTS aspect of the gameplay.
You have 6 distinctive races that each have their own unique buildings, resources, and units. What's more, is that on some maps you have to control multiple races, allowing for some creative unit compositions.
Time in the three campaigns is divided between traditional RTS missions and RPG style adventure maps with sidequests. You also have 'free game mode,' which allows you to create a new character and play adventure/skirmish maps with friends, earning loot and XP that can be carried over.
Spellforce might appear like generic fantasy, but it's actually set in a post-apocalyptic world where a cataclysmic event shattered the world into floating islands connected only by portals. I don't want to spoil the story, but let me just say that it's crazy. The atmosphere and soundtrack are also fantastic.
My only warning is that the game is rather janky and has some high difficulty spikes. The voiceacting is also corny as hell. For me though, all of that adds to the game's charm.

There's a lot more that I could say about it, but that should be enough to give you an idea whether it's worth your time. It's certainly not for everyone.
>>
>>850079
It sounds interesting. So from OPs post the first game got an update so would you say start at 1?
>>
>>850113
I'd say so. 1 is the best, but it's an acquired taste. 2 & 3 are more palatable to a casual RTS fan, but they both miss the mark in regards to what made 1 special. You don't need to play 1 in order to enjoy 2 & 3.
>>
>>850079
>The voiceacting is also corny as hell.
ILLUUUUSIONS! TO MEEEEEEEE!
>>
File: Spellforce 3 races.png (551 KB, 540x544)
551 KB
551 KB PNG
for me it's Elves > Humans >>>>>>POWER GAP>>>>>> Orcs
I literally picked the Elves every time the choice came up, Orcs are stupid niggers who need to go back to Barga Gor and Humans don't have those meme shrines of Elen who wreck entire AI armies because 9 times out of 10 they're too dumb to build catapults
I haven't played the expansions yet tho
>>
>>852171
All three factions are rather samey in vanilla. They went through some alterations in the expansions, but they still don't feel as distinctive as 1.
In multiplayer, I believe the current meta is that Orcs are the strongest faction in the game and Elves are the weakest.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.