[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 48k1co1gx4z31.png (1.8 MB, 1280x960)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
i am forgotten...
>>
I used to blob as Byzantium and Ottomans. It was epic.
>>
Until now, friend. Some people are discussing what game to play as Poland in another thread. I might just have to load up EU3 IN ( the only version I have ) and prove the IRRESISTIBLE IMPERIAL MIGHT OF HOLY POLAND!
>>
File: 20210827211033_1.jpg (984 KB, 2560x1440)
984 KB
984 KB JPG
>>847227
What a clean map. Here is GrossPreussens vassalfucking all of Europe.
>>
>>847227
Only problem I had with Eu3 was world conquest. Every time I played it I would invariably find it was just a lot easier to world conquest rather than sit back and let shit happen to me. Even when I was well under BB limit every cunt would try to start shit with me. Spain giving me shit? Wipe them out. Oh, now the Austrians want to start shit? Wipe them out. Fucking Milanese, man, always starting shit. Wipe them out. Granted it would take quite a few wars, and France was always a bastard to beat, but eventually I would snowball to the point where a world conquest was an afterthought and the only way to ensure peace. I partially blame the Universities for this. As I expanded the only way to keep up the tech race was to seize other Universities. People would get start shit with me over that. So I had to wipe them out.
>>
>>847227
>screenshot saved
>>
I still prefer EU3 with MEIOU or Death and Taxes over EU4.
>>
>>847325
congrats you discovered what is referred to as the security dilemma
>>
File: EU3_12.jpg (676 KB, 1920x1080)
676 KB
676 KB JPG
>only 3 pictures in my 2021 subfolder of EU3
It really is forgotten
>>847325
World conquests in Paradox games are fucking boring because once you've won the first major world war then you just snowball out of control and after that it's more of a repetitive chore, not a challenge. It's more fun to leave rivals alive so you have someone to fight throughout the game.
>>
>>847869
I can't even find any EU3 screenshots right now. Have I really not played it on my current machine? Seems impossible with all the thousands of hours I used to put into this game. I should fire her up for old time's sake.
>>
>>847227
soul the game
That being said it is pretty ugly. It tries to be a map of a text-book, but what the fuck is all the glowing water?
>>
Ok I did it, I'm playing EU3 again. First war with Castille went well. Aragon helped.
>>
>>847227
Citation needed.
On the other hand, the main reason I returned is that I strongly dislike the direction in which 3.0 of MEIOU for EU4 is going, so there is that
>>
I prefer EU3 way of handling economy and sliders for centralisation etc.
>>
Also converting a province and dealing with rebellions are way more realistic in EU3.
>>
>>848682
I miss sliders in general. They were neat. But what I miss most in terms of EU is population. Fuck pops, fuck development abstraction, I just want a fucking counter displaying my province's capital.

>>848686
>way more fun in EU3
ftfy
>>
>>848693
Yeah, watching a backward province with 1k population developing and rivaling Paris or London was good and added to the fun.
>>
>>848693
There's a mod called Il Principe that makes pops way more important due to a change in the tax and manpower formulas, which makes it a lot more dynamic as opposed to some provinces just having a high base tax throughout the entire game.
>>
File: EU3_84.jpg (723 KB, 1920x1080)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
me blob
>>
>>848927
I always appreciate a nice Italy blob. Good job
>>
>>848952
I very rarely play Italy, all the minors and non-HRE Italian states are in a pretty shitty spot to expand inside Europe and Milan has to deal with Austria, it's just a really troublesome early game compared to other European unification tags.
>>
>>847794
Is that what its called? I just called it "wiping out cunts who started shit"
>>847869
That seems equally pointless and boring. Knowing you have won but leaving a few alive just so you can have a war, personal union, compete for colonies,or whatever, later on. Bit like a cat playing with a half dead mouse.
>>
Any good EU3 mod other than MEIOU (no, Magna Mundi isn't good, it's a fucking meme)?
>>
>>847869
>Like a retard leaving defeated countries on life support, for you are too big of a pussy to finish them off
>All of it instead of doing some sort of personal challenge instead
Yawn... call me when you get interesting ideas for a change
>>
>>847227
The agency mechanic was so much better than mana.
>>
>>848963
>>848959
You can buff the AI so that they're not neutered for the rest of the game when you beat them once.
>>
>>848960
CanOmer's Map if you just want vanilla but with a much better looking map
EU3+/WAMMO for a slower, less chaotic experience
MiscMods for rebalanced vanilla and more content
More Province Mod same as above
History and Empires for turbocharged EU3, economy is bigger, sliders and NIs are more powerful, even the AI tends to blob up and field HUGE armies, more tech and army groups (Spanish, Germans etc get their own unit tech tree so Longbows are a unique English unit and so on)
Phoenix for Steppe Wolf memes
Death&Taxes if you want D&T, I only played it seriously when it was relatively new and was just vanilla+ for casuals, I don't know how severe the bloat has become now
>>
>>849088
>Beat country to the ground
>It has fifth of its territory, quarter of army and no navy now
>Dude, totally not neutered! Just buff the AI
You are a special kind of moron. The cat and mouse comparison couldn't be more spot on
>>
>>849110
You're either being disingenuous or retarded
>>
>>849094
Also the OG Meiou and D&T "sequel" mod 'HRE improvement project' I believe.
>>
>>849094
D&T is still just a better vanilla with a nicer map.
>>
>>849126
>He said, while pretending that a country gutted and looted is any sort of challenge, because it has improved AI
Next thing, you gonna insist OPMs allied against you are actually dangerous, because there are 6 of them and there is only one poor unified France of you.
>>
>>849257
To be fair in 3 OPM could be some sort of annoyance, especially if they focused on trade or moneymaking. They would not beat France 9 times out of 10, but they would put up a decent fight against a unified Holland fiptpor example.
>>
I still play it
>>
My fav was playing France, the easiest country, and seeing how fast I could color the map entirely blue. Got it down to 1567. Was fielding nearly 1 million men in armies by the end.
>>
>>849451
First time I could field a 1Mil. army and could support it I knew I built a strong economy.
>>
>>849243
D&T has so much content it's more of an overhaul mod at this point instead of a lite vanilla+ mod.
>>849257
Why are you so mad that you're going out of your way to argue against a strawman? Is this some kind of /gsg/ shitposting autism that you can't drop for ever a few posts to have a nice discussion in a non-/vg/ thread?
>>
>>850153
>That retard
>Strawman
Anon, I think you are overestimating the "keep your rivals forever, AI can handle it" retard as someone capable of strawmanning, rather than just simply stupid as shit.
>>
>>850310
Are you having this much trouble keeping up with the posts?
>>
>>847227
how do i fucking play this heeeeeeeelp
>>
>>850346
Are you having specific problems or do you just want general gameplay tips?
>>
Is this game worth playing if I already played 4? How come, if so?
>>
>>850359
The core gameplay is different enough to warrant playing both if you like these kinds of games. EU4 is primarily designed around monarch points, EU3 isn't.
>>
>>850350
general gameplay tips
>>
>>848960
Magna Mundi is unironically the best way to play EU3.
>>
>>850410
Don't bother with non-European nations when you're a noob, even if they look big (like Ming or the Golden Horde) they're noob traps that are difficult to play. Castille is generally regarded as the easiest nation to play - France, England, Burgundy and Austria are also really strong large nations but they inevitably have to fight other strong large nations early on so that can be a bit daunting - Castille doesn't have that problem.
Lower your army and naval maintenance when not at war, this is your biggest money saver early in the game. You shouldn't need more than 25-30% military spending to crush rebels.
If your stability isn't at +3 then maxing stability investment should always be your #1 priority when setting economic sliders. If it is at 3 then you usually want to dump all your tech into a single slider to hit important milestones (gov 4 for your first NI, prod 8 for workshops, gov 9, 10 and 11 for two NIs and a great cultural decision in your capital, trade 15 for monopolies, land 18 for first gunpowder units) and so on. You don't have to worry about this too much in the beginning but learning which tech milestones are important to rush will improve your gameplay by a lot.
Military Drill is generally a good first NI if you plan to fight a lot of wars. National Ideas have unique events related to them and sometimes have unique decisions unlocked by them, learning these events and ideas are also something that will let you powergame harder.
Don't be afraid to mint and accrue some inflation if you need to, it's worth it if it will let you big a big army to win a pivotal war or spam infrastructure across your realm. If you have lots of inflation reduction then don't passively mint - that's bad because it means you're investing less into your tech. It's better to mint up, accrue inflation and then go back to dumping all investment into tech while inflation is burning off.
Don't have too much infamy at once, it tanks your trading capabilities.
Going to bed
>>
>>850359
You have less control over things in EU3 and a lot of what you do is just setting up certain conditions. For instance, converting a province isn't done by just clicking a button and waiting a while, it's done by clicking a button and waiting an indeterminate amount of time with a mode time of completion of about X months away. It could convert in the X time as expected, it could never convert, or it could convert before you lift your finger off the mouse button as you click down "convert".

A big part of EU3 was that it was trying to make a cool history game without being autistic or hand-holding, so it would rely on lots of abstractions to make the system work. You do the thing and maybe it works after a while, that's all. This is in opposition to how EU4 does it, where you just save up points and then spend them on the thing and the results are entirely predictable. The only thing 100% certain in EU3 is how quickly you gain cores and what your tax income will be.

BTW do not play EU3 without expansions. The game didn't really become good until the 2nd-4th expansions, but most people consider the 5th expansion to have been an overall downgrade being as the only cool thing it did was make the map graphics nice, which mods could do in earlier versions.
>>
>>850410
Don't get too close to infamy limit because AI tend to gang up on you even before you go rogue. Also, there are various events that give you BB points and some are much more likely to happen the nearer you are to said limit. There much to say about EU3, I think the wiki can help.
>>
>>850466
Is there any kind of unique "flavor" for individual nations?
>>
>>850825
Some of the big nations had some flavor, but it was surface level. Even release EU4 had more flavor for individual nations.
>>
>>850825
None whatsoever in the slightest, the way it should be. These are abstraction games. What's unique about your nation isn't actually unique, and in reality anyone can build a wonder or whatever, so that's how it works in the game. What is interesting is that you have problems to overcome/goals to achieve and you go do those with differences being things like your religion, what good provinces you own, how much money you've saved up, how much culture you've saved up (used to buy advisers), basically how you managed everything.

There's very little bullshit about the wacky nation that did the silly thing and that was so random, regardless of how it fucks up gameplay.
>>
>>850933
Exactly, in EU3 you could transform Switzerland into a new Prussia manipulating sliders and NI. Of course it takes years and you have to sacrifice economic power and research, you know the way it happened in RL.
>>
>>850825
Yes, but not that much. Big, historically signification nations tend to have unique missions (England has missions to conquer Ireland, subjugate Scotland, Bavaria gets missions to expand into some other minor German nations etc), decisions (some big nations get around 3-4, that's it) and very rarely they have unique events, like Scotland's highlander event. If the nation you're playing has a new formable tag, a unique mission or two and a unique decision then that's considered a lot of flavor for EU3.
>>
>>847227
>divine wind
might as well play eu4 1.0 then
>>
>>847227
>it takes 50 years to core
Unironically loved this, it really made cores valuable and limited expansion, because if the majority of your country is uncored you'll get fucked.
>>
>>851520
>play inside the HRE
>claims on our rivals fires several times in a few decades
Free real estate, though it's kinda bullshit how buildings are destroyed when you take non-cored provinces.
>>
>>851532
>though it's kinda bullshit how buildings are destroyed when you take non-cored provinces.
It's called "scorched earth", anon. Strategy as old as writing, if not older
>>
>>851630
>poland inherits lithuania through a person union
>before this happens the lithuanians decide to destroy all their infrastructure despite this transition of power happening peacefully
It's just a garbage mechanic to be honest. It would be better to represent it though the horde mechanics where some buildings can get destroyed upon province occupation in the form of looting.
>>
>>847227
so much better than 4
>>
>>851635
It's an universal mechanic that acknowledges 99% of land ownership changes in the game is via conquest.
It never cease to amaze me how butthurt EU4 kiddos are about mechanics from previous games, for they are "unfair". Bitch, it's a literal board game with bunch of simplification, why you are expecting simulationist approach is anyone's guess.
Getting personal union, short for scripted events, is near impossible in EU3. You could have a point about vassals, since those are easier to come by, but the bottom line remains unchanged. It's a simplified system that exists to compensate for conquest.
>>
>>852951
>It's an universal mechanic that acknowledges 99% of land ownership changes in the game is via conquest.
No, and even then it's still only uncored conquest.
>It never cease to amaze me how butthurt EU4 kiddos are about mechanics from previous games, for they are "unfair"
I don't play EU4, I tried the beta and hated it
>Getting personal union, short for scripted events, is near impossible in EU3.
It is incredibly easy and the fact that you don't know this reveals that you don't know shit about EU3.
>You could have a point about vassals, since those are easier to come by, but the bottom line remains unchanged. It's a simplified system that exists to compensate for conquest.
The same problem remains between cored and uncored vassals. It's just a bad, unreasonable mechanic.
>>
Wasn't the thing about destroying all buildings on uncored conquest a Divine Wind addition?
>>
>>852988
I can't remember when it was added, magistrates being necessary for building stuff was a DW addition but I'm not sure when building destruction was added. It's really easy to remove though so it's no biggie.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.