[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What do you guys think?
>>
>>837855
Also wondering if there are any similar games you'd recommend.
>>
Gameplay sounds very interesting but my dog could vomit better shit than the portrait graphics
>>
>>838004
Use anime portraits replacer
>>
File: Ardennes.jpg (580 KB, 1012x1132)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
Hyped for DC: Ardennes desu
>>
>>837855
Good game I do not have the time to put into it. It's way to slow.
>>
>>838004
Imagine playing serious wargames for graphics

Graphics quality add nothing to the game and average wargame fans don't play these games for pretty looks but just for military autism
>>
>>837855
fun at first
looks deep and interesting
but when you play more you can easily see how shallow it is and how mechanics are convoluted
sadly its disappointing
>>
>>838018
Wouldn't hurt to get more people playing wargames with better graphics.
>>
>>838005
How does one replace portraits? I'm done with halfbreed-nigger#152 being my secretary.
>>
>>837855
>SCHWARZSTEIN
>Blackrock
What did OP mean by this?
>>
>>838057
Care to elaborate?
>>838175
not my pic, google
>>
>>838206
not him but fuck the idea of "Roll for policy changes" holy shit the number of games I have had to restart because my shit tier secretary doesn't have the skill to raise taxes makes me lose my mind.
To do ANY policy/government changes you must first somehow roll well on the RNG deck and pull the policy card you want, then pray you roll well enough when playing that card to have its effect happen. Holy shit this system sucks so fucking much
>>
>>837855
great game.
great mechanics.
Literally only game that can actually boast that each game is entirely different, different weapons different troops, different factions, different maps. Its all procedural.

Anyone that says its shallow, they are just projecting their inability to read and comprehend cause there used to clickfest games that dont require critical thinking skills just memorization.

Read the manual. If you dont your probably one of the people i just mentioned.
>>
>>838233
>different weapons different troops
Literally what?
Weapons tech tree is always the same, Ballistics -> Advanced Ballistics -> Gas powered weapons -> Laser -> Plasma
iirc
>>
Excellent game, it scratches the itches of mine that Paradox games no longer can satisfy. I actually very much like the minimalistic graphic choices of the game.
>>
>>838018
>Graphics quality add nothing to the game
They can detract from it though. A literal placeholder silhoutte would be better. Hell I play roguelikes in ASCII because the tiles always look ugly.
>>
>>838206
>>Care to elaborate?
>logistic is kind of shit, there is no local supplies usage, the supplies must go to HQ and then back to what need them, the supply bases actually don't store supply, can't set priority units to resupply, and the whole supply system is weird(like loosing efficiency because crossroads which lead that best supply net is straight line and you need to play with signs all the time)
>yes your whole army cans starve if cut from HQ even if local provinces are full producing food and oil etc
>planet generation is kind of pointless as RNG can give you totally boring one to play and you need to reroll many times to actually get interesting to play(or with right settings), waste of time in general
>models/subunits projects are kind of weird, like there are 20mm howitzers(and yes 88mm too), and small guns have same mobility of big ones, can't mount guns on armored cars, can't make technicals(armed trucks), filters/env suits kind of pointless(don't even need to put them on vehicles which is silly)
>unit and formations developments is weird again
>like you need to invent XX division
>instead of inventing unit and then forming formations with them(in similar way to developing models)
>can't rearm or modernize militias, or integrate them into your army, or attach them to formations
>economy rely on rarecoin(selling rare metals on market) or excesscoin(selling over the limit supplies at premium price), you can't really run it on taxes and stuff
>AI isn't smart and just rely on brute force, don't follow same supply/logistic rules so only full encirclement are useful
I like it actually but its also slow, extremely slow on AI turns
over all its rather tiresome to play and after honey moon the lacking elements don't let me enjoy it
>>
when you get used to the awful ui and sometimes cryptic mechanics,its a great game, one of the best of its kind in many years
>>
>>838237
>Weapons tech tree is always the same,
You have to create a design with those weapons, which is a Roll depending on multiple factors that dictate the overall effectiveness of the design, and even after that you have to do field testing to produce a better mk2.

You are referring to the tech tree, the weapons that use that tech are entirely procedural. Read the manual faggot.
>>
>>838310
This game is literally a tard filter. Its casual-repellent. Makes me love the game even more.
>>
>>838241
/thread
>>
>>838448
Retards need to learn that genuine criticisms of game aren't a filter, but actual game flaws.
>>838296
^ this is what turned me off too.
>>
do turns still take 5 minutes
>>
>>838556
yeah
>>
>>838296
My biggest gripe is that AI can spawn roads in mountains no issues if you cut off their logistics network from the units being supplied. Also minors are unaffected by being completely out of supply and will sit indefinitely on a map square on what is 90% of the time planet completely devoid of breathable atmosphere and potentially fatal because of local life or toxic air.
>>
>>838447
>the weapons that use that tech are entirely procedural
I did and thats not true, the weapons have set damage from the get go, it only improves with new models. Read the manual, the damage values are there
>>
>>837858
Similar in what way?
The hex warfare is done much better in Decisive Campaigns, there are two games that do smaller campaigns from ww2, and one that does the entirety of eastern front with roleplay elements (ie Hitler demands you capture specific objectives and you have to do so, even if it is not what you really want to do strategically). It also has a simple version of the card system that impacts the campaign in various ways.

SMAC is the same style of conquer the planet, but without the hex warfare.

>>838226
Learn what the different leaders actually do. The game is not at fault if you don't understand how to get the cards you want to spawn, or how to distribute pp to the various sections of the government. Rolling for tax increase is an incredibly easy roll, and again you shouldn't get all your money from taxes in the first place, so I think you must be doing something wrong.

>>838004
And modern 3D plastic models are better? SE has charm and I'm not even being ironic, it feels like one of the those great games with soul you played 20-15 years ago, that simply don't get released anymore.
>>
>>838006
So, has anyone bought the new game from Vic?
>>
>>838709
>And modern 3D plastic models are better? SE has charm and I'm not even being ironic, it feels like one of the those great games with soul you played 20-15 years ago, that simply don't get released anymore.
Most are actually. And no one even brought up 3D models. If anything the models in the game look like 90's early 3D. But the graphics aren't really an issue, I just thought you are wrong to claim that most games don't have better visual details.
>>
>>838570
>My biggest gripe is that AI can spawn roads in mountains no issues if you cut off their logistics network from the units being supplied
Yeah that's bullshit and really detracts from the logistical aspects of the game when you really can't cut the enemy's logistics unless you completely encircle them
>>
>>839144
I think it'd be too hard for him to implement an AI that can handle logistics without cheating. The system is already convoluted as is, maybe if he simplified it and made more sense of it would work better.
>inb4 read the manual autist
Already did, logistics is one of the weakest bits in this game despite having some of the biggest depth.
>>
I wish there were a true PvE option, like you're the only human regime on the planet and there are gorillions of Ancient Aliens, zombies and whatnot. That way nobody would care if the AI plays by different rules while allowing the developer to handcraft more challenging scenarios for the player.
>>
>>838568
what a shame. i had fun the game for a bit, but the loooong turns put me off. and the cheating AI
>>
Just bought the game, give me a few starting tips. The freefolk milita is shitting on me, the other regimes amass troops at an insane rate while I can't even get my economy to produce a surplus to supply the few brigades I have.
>>
>>839380
Build MG infantry (single divisions at first, not an entire corps) to hold the line, they are the most cost efficient and very strong in defense. Use the corps you spawn with to attack, and build a light tank division to roll over militia and raiders (might need to research it first, depending on tech level). Branch out along roads from your capital and try to find an extra city early on that you can storm and capture.

For infrastructure you should build up your metal mine fast, and then get Industry. Building scavengers in ruins are good for metal, rares and oil early on, and you should build higher level truck station when you can afford it to keep supplies running. Sell surplus rare minerals for money.
>>
>>839380
1) Explore all clay around you. Check what faction the clay belongs to, try not to expand too much too soon if it is a minor faction. Farmers and nomads are fine, but slavers can have some impressive manpower early on. Buy MG infantry independent divisions to hold the line. Check terrain type by hoovering your mouse over the graphics, should tell how much entrenchment you can get by sitting on a tile. More you sit the stronger your defense becomes, which is what you need early on. Don't attack unless you are sure, defending is an easier way of killing off enemy militia.
2)Build either a scavenging outpost or a metal mine. If you don't have any tiles for scavenging (ruins) privatize the one in your capital. Personally I keep it there for the private market. Economic council will let you find more metal and other deposits.
3)Get your metal income per turn to around 200 and then build industry in your capital.
4)Reduce wages for almost all leaders. Leave reserves at 0 because fuck them. Be careful about what factions you appease, you don't want one with opposing ideology as they'll be a pain in the ass to deal with. Capability ranking is the most important one, a IV will quickly learn to be better than a very experienced I or II.
5)Check structural design for each unit. If below 100, try making a new one. Otherwise just build up on it.
6)destroy all minors and nomads around and once you have your first 4 councils you're basically out of early game
7)then just read how logistics work and the actual game against AI is very easy from that point on
>>
>>839402
>>839428
Thanks bros, so I should always go for divisions? Never battalion or regiment size?
Apart from selling and reducing expenses is there any way to deal with income? You seem to need a crazy amount of workers to get enough water for enough food for enough fuel. Or do I just neglect production of those and buy them off the market until I have enough pop?
>>
>>839481
Also, when you look at the world map in the beginning of the game, if the region is called "Something Territory" it means there is no city there, explore it but focus on the other regions first, because those will have cities to capture.
>>
>>839481
At the start go for the smallest ones. Later on you can go bigger once you have the economy and logistics to support it. You can upgrade your units to a bigger size if you click on them, and then on the right hand screen access their unit administration tab.
>>
>>839493
Only capture as much land as to prevent a sudden invasion if you have no border guards. Otherwise the land is quite useless, bar for a chance for prospecting to happen. Try sending in spies as soon as possible to reveal if there are any useful hex perks in territories. Something like +20IP can be extremely useful early on. A key to growing a big population is hoarding all free settlements. Your natural growth is barely around 500 a turn, whereas with loads of free settlers you can go up to 5k a turn.
Spies will take care of 90% of exploration of the actual game map.
>>
>>838568
>>838556
>>839373

lol imagine being a poor fag without a m.2
my turns take less than 30 seconds.
Also ai doesnt "cheat"
there is no A.I ever made that doesnt have some advantages over the player.
Hop on multiplayer and get your ass stomped.
>>
>>838593
>I did and thats not true, the weapons have set damage from the get go,
Your retarded. Read the manual you illiteral moron. There are many ROLL factors that overall determine the design. To improve models you get new tech and field testing. You literally know nothing about the game kid, fuck out of here and back to plebbit where you can circle jerk with the other hearts of cancer casual scum.
>>
>>839380
dont listen to any of these faggots most of them have no idea about the game. Just read the manaul and start on a small map and work you way up.
>>
>>839509
Just stay in /v/ if you're going to be scribbling your posts out of pure shit. Are you Vic?
>>
>>839517
Show one tip that was wrong.
>>
>>839513
Whoah... a different structural design value that is mostly random really changes the game everytiem... it's not like they all follow the same, linear tech progression with some variation in damages... it's so coool and non-linear bro! Each playthrough a treasure.
>>
>>839530
Your design council also heavily influences the rolls, which each council member is procedural, and has unique stats. Go ahead i challenge you to replicate those exact stats in that unit.
Go on, im waiting.
>>
>>839428
>clay

reddit is that way
>>
>>839541
It's still just a few numbers variations. Extra damage or lack of it won't change your run significantly. It's not very meaningful.
>>839545
I've been here longer than any nu-4chan(nel) 2016 electiontard or 2020 corona lockdown newfags. No, YOU fuck off.
>>
>>839541
Design council is literally all one stat, which is model design btw. Anyone with decent INT rating and at least level III capability will develop to be a decent designer with a few turns of practice building upon already present presets. Getting decent leaders isn't that hard, more often than not I have at least 3 III's and possibly 1 IV before round 20.
>>
>>839604
And what else, imrpov and 6th sense? I don't think those actually affect design rolls.
>>
>>839545
faggot
>>
>>839600
>>839604
Damage control and goal shifting.
I said they were different each game.
which is true due to the amount of factors involved in making the model. If you cant replicate a units exact stats then thats probably because its procedural as I stated in the begging. Your opinion on what is considering "meaningful difference" is irrelevant
>>
>>839523
>Show one tip that was wrong.
Implying that reading the manual isnt the best tip. Never said your tips were wrong, but doesnt mean they are the best advice to new players who dont even know the core mechanics of the game. I do appreciate your advice to new players, but its up to them to actually learn and understand the game for themselves. you can give them tips all day and night but until they understand the underlying mechanics, its just bloat.
>>
What do Bunker assets exactly do? The description says they protect assets from battle damage which is really cool but do they do nothing for troops actually stationed on that tile?
>>
>>840054
It's still doesn't change the fact that the technology tree always follows the same progression in terms of advancements, etc. You having +2 soft attack on the first infantry unit in this run doesn't really change the game in a meaningful way. It's like saying each Morrowind playthrough in each dungeon is unique because there is random loot. Technically it is correct, but you'd be splitting straws at that point.
>factors making the model
Yes, but it's not that different from my Morrowind comparison. At the end of the game you will still use the same exact linear progression for technology and advancements.
>irrelevant
If you had two brain cells you'd realize it is because you just spent your time writing out arguments as to why you don't think so. Stop trying so hard to fit in with le epik 4chins, writing buzzwords and sounding like an edgy tard doesn't make you right. You're the only one changing goals, because initially you wrote that this game is so speshul and unique every time due to how technology and advancement plays out, but you were rightfully corrected (not by me) that it's mostly linear and what is random are some parameters that don't change the game in a meaningful way. Fact is once you figure out how to handle the initial steps, each playthrough is braindead easy because the AI is predictable and easy to beat. Unless you're playing against real players you're playing on beginner mode.
>muh manual
Lots of shit isn't explained there nearly enough or in good depth, it doesn't help that the creator is a massive ESL. I read it, but I also learnt the game by playing and reading online posts for 10 mins. It's like asking someone to learn maths by reading calculus books back to back rather than starting easy and practicing your way into it.
>>
"""Unique""" unit development Shadow Empire experience:
>pray to god your structural isn't sub-100
>it isn't
>whew
>if it is pray to god you have a decent cabinet and someone with le epik unique and speshul trait of design (only trait it needs) and >30 INT and at least III capability (i.e. 50% of games)
>whew got it, now i can redesign this shit as opposed to straight up putting on decent tech improvements
>don't have this leader
>spend next 10 - 15 turns spamming recruit junior and other recruitment cards and accepting every candidate until this is sorted
>every single game still progresses slapping on the same upgrades and same techs on every unit
Such a unique experience.
>>
File: Autistic little man.jpg (64 KB, 618x326)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>840060
>yfw
>>
>>840060
Jesus no one reads the manual first before playing, you start off by playing around with the game and getting a feel, and then go to manual if you need more explanations. There's no point in learning about everything in the game before even playing it. Following my advice they'll get a feel for the game and figure out things as they go. Even the fucking manual basically says just get metal and industry points to build economy lmao. I feel like you think this game is just 2 advanced and 2 kool for cazzies and you're such a patrician for getting it, but really, this game isn't all that, the systems are fairly easy to understand, and even then they are not necessarily good, like the logistics system. Still an amazing game considering it's a one man effort.
>>
>>837858
Emperor of the Fading Suns
SE is basically modernization of that game
>>
I think it's a really solid game but man the actual games are too long. Are there any shorter 4x / wargames that you guys recommend? Something where I could finish a game in 2 to 3 nights, playing maybe 2 to 3 hours per night.
>>
>>841069
vic is based for including that card
>>
>>841270
>2 advanced and 2 kool for cazzies
yes.
>>
So how does freefolk migration work? Im losing a few thousand every turn, but only a few hundred migrate to my city.
>>
>>842866
Do you happen to be losing territory?
Free folks live in cities, if, say a minor, takes one of their cities within your empire, their number would go down.
>>
>>837855
I think I would play if it weren't indie-tier unfinished game no.8382 that slytherine/matrix put out at a triple A pricepoint.
>>
>>838018
This isn't a wargame, it's a 4x larping as a wargame.
>>
>>842943
No Im currently holding on all fronts. Maybe they migrate to other cities since they are closer? My pop happiness is around 70
>>
>>837855
A great example of how adding more features and complexity does not make a better game if the features and complexity are added without thought.
Also the AI is proper trash and just shoves counters into your counters mindlessly untill either you or it dies.

I can't think of a single reason to play thuis, other than to pretend I am a smartypants for having mastered so much complexity.
>>
>vidya with more manual reading than my irl hexncounter wargames
>doesn't offer the same level of freedom or depth as my irl hexncounter wargames
I don't get the appeal here. It isn't even multiplayer. Your knly enemy is your own lack of understanding game mechanics, as the AI poses no threat to the combined effort of two braincells (let alone more).
>>
>>842980
>>842986
It's not a great game, but there are a lot of interesting systems and complexity to it. If one guy can get this much done, imagine if a decent studio cared to implement half of it.
>>
>>842986
>. It isn't even multiplayer.
it literally is though. you dont have to lie about the game.
>>
>>842969
I don't think Free Folk can migrate anywhere to anywhere other than your cities.
>>
>>838296
What would be a better 4x game, then?
>>
>>837855
I haven't played this game since last fall. How much has changed?
>>
>>838226
Real life politics is a series of dice rolls. Stop being a little bitch.
>>
>>844689
>What would be a better 4x game, then?
In general or in this specific branch?
don't get me wrong I liked it when i was playing it but its not great game
many designs are quite baffling and some serve little purpose other than look complicated
i wish it would be better or there would be similar but better game but its niche branch of niche genre and we lack capable autists to get more of it
>>
>>845039
very cool now wheres all the epic good games you play that are better than this one
>>
>>845266
Civilization series
>>
>>844749
fucking your mom is a series of dice rolls and I roll a 12 every time
>>
File: germ.jpg (633 KB, 1920x1080)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
>>839099
It seems only I have. Nice of him to get rid of cartoony style of Shadow Empire.
Thank you, based Vic.
>>
>>845902
SE had a cartoony style? I always though thats 3d is just bad, not a stylistic choice but solo dev limitation
>>
Bump.
>>
>>838296
>there is no local supplies usage,
build another SHQ and manage the supplies there
>>
>>846710
be retarded faggot somewhere else
>>
>>846713
You even get supply bases that extend your range, go play War in the East is you want even more HQs.
>>
>>846713
You even get airbridges you ingrate. Name one game that implements resupply by holodomoring the local farmers.
>>
>>846760
Hegemony Gold lets your armies steal food from local farms iirc, it's much easier to campaign in harvest time since you can live off the land essentially
>>
Contrarians always try to conflate "using local resources first instead of sending them to the SHQ" with "stealing from farmers." Which is fucking stupid. The farmers are making food for the government which they're going to send the SHQ on the next turn. Same with oil, energy, atomics. I'm not asking to steal private resources from the private economy, I'm asking for government resources to not have to flow to the SHQ first to get their government stamp if approval before flowing right back down the same roads so the military can use them. It's not stealing, the goods already belong to the government.
>>
>>846788
checked, does that starve the farmers??
>>
>>846848
It denies food to the enemy's city it's connected to, which can lead to the city and the troops defending it starving if you cut off enough food.
If it's your own territory then it just takes the food directly from the farm, instead of needing to go through the road network to your city and then to your army. So basically what this anon was saying
>>846811
>>
>>845298
Thanks, I shall completely disregard your previous posts
>>
>>847253
Ok, rabid fanboy.
>>
>>845298
The drooling Gooberfuck thinks Civilization is better!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh sweet Jesus!
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>847284
You bet, Firaxiscuck
>>
>>838502
Tard=filtered
>>
File: shadowemp.jpg (63 KB, 949x341)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Do your part, nigs
>>
>>843101
>>842969

Whats your Civilization score, whats your average QoL? If you cities are a heaping pile of scrap, and are only happy cause they are being bribed or have guns pointed at them at all times being ruled by a dictator no one is going to want to immigrate. You must attract the free folk to win them over, I.E infrastructure, No crime, Lots of food, water, sanitation and libaries (QoL buildings) ect.
>>
>>843081
you'll soon realize 90% of the "criticisms" of this game are by literal abhuman troglodytes who got comp stomped 10 turns in by some petty marauders and instantly refund it "claiming its bad cuz i said so" and they will come up with a whole host of reasons to justify their decision whilst knowing literally nothing about the game or even its core mechanics. Hence why i preach to read the manual so you can verify whether someone's criticisms are relevant or just left over excrement from their inflamed anuses after the AI gave em' a rough pounding.
>>
>>841270
>ust 2 advanced and 2 kool for cazzies and you're such a patrician for getting it.
Yes.
>>
>>840728
TL;DR
>>
>>839604
>Design council is literally all one stat
Yes ONE stat out of dozens that can affect rolls. Being scientific or engineer, Having 6th sense helps with all rolls, Improv helps, also the Tier of the council member, i can go on but its pointless your retarded and this game isnt for you.
>>839607
Yes they do, your just talking out of your ass.
6th sense adds to all rolls, Improv helps a council member make rolls on things that are outside his expertise ect ect
>>
>>838570
>>839144
>"My biggest gripe is that AI can spawn roads in mountains no issues "
Its' been patched. Read the changelogs.
>>
>>849237
Since when Anon?
>>849233
>Yes ONE stat out of dozens that can affect rolls. Being scientific or engineer, Having 6th sense helps with all rolls, Improv helps, also the Tier of the council member, i can go on but its pointless your retarded and this game isnt for you.
I enjoyed it enough to have at least 100 hundred hours in it lol. I am also going to pay for it once the puts out a new update.
>>
>>849233
I mean by your own logic each run of Crusader Kings II is vastly different from one an another just because there are random stats involved. Which anyone with a modicum of experience knows isn't really the case in a MEANINGFUL way. Understand what I am saying; I don't mean that playthroughs are the same, they are just not that different from one another in that aspect of the game in a MEANINGFUL sense.
And design council only rolls for design stat when it comes to INT stats. Improv is fairly useless then, only 6th sense has some minor impact I'd guess. You make the game sounds more advanced than it really is, and in general it's a good descriptor for Shadow Empire: something that appears to be more advanced than it really is. I don't get why are you such a rabid fanboy and why can'y you tolerate people thinking it's not all that.
>>
>>849284
because its a damn good game. I never said it was "everything and a bag of chips" but compared to whats been coming out, yeah im gonna shill hard for it because its a step in the right direction
>>
File: 1.07.png (65 KB, 651x492)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>849279
Since forever ago
and yeah i understand that, im waiting for the naval update then im gonna dump 1k hours into it and do what hearts of iron never could dream of.
>>
>>849284
Probably because everyone on this website is a faggot who only enjoys shit talking everything. People like you always mention that these games suck or aren't as complex as some game you are alluding to and then never give a recommendation of your own. Name (1) game that does everything this one does but better. lol you can't
>>
>>849621
It's a loaded question because it implies that more stats = better game. I had much more fun playing a shitty Source mod called Fistful of Frags, are you going to argue that no, you can't just rate games by how much fun you had with them?
inb4 its not as smurt
read a book then
>>
>>849851
>deflection
Your the one who called the game shallow. In comparison to what? Tell the whole class about this mechanically deep sci fi wargame you are playing that is so much better, but as I said
>lol you can't
and I think you just proved that to the entire thread with your faggoty non answer
>>
Tbh, I get the complaints. I still haven't reached the endgame in my 30 hours of playtime. Planet generation and early game are by far the best parts of the game, I just keep restarting when I get too big.
Other Vic's titles are GOAT, though. More focused on actual wargaming. I can't recommend enough his new Ardennes game. Go fucking buy it, if you're a fan.
>>
>>850146
You're not special for "getting" what is basically a glorified board game.
>>
>>850233
>Ardennes
>another world war rts
I would have never even looked at anything vic made if it wasn't for shadow empire, there's 1000 different ww1/2 games out there and I just ignore them. I like scifi and fantasy shit.
>>
>>850744
>rts
inb4 someone argues over my typo
>>
>>850343
I never said I was, I just wanted you to backup your shit talk with an example of another game but you can't so you spout literal non-sequiturs.
>>
>>849621
>Name (1) game that does everything this one does but better. lol you can't
This is a retarded and impossible standard to meet.

How about you give an example first so we can see how it's done? Choose a game, any game, then name a game which does "everything it does but better". I bet you can't.
>>
>>849851
Dude all games are just a series of 1's and 0's
its how the mechanics utilize those numbers to create a fun and engaging game. Unless your a zoomer who just wants pretty pictures and flashy lights while on rails the entire time and "one and done" type games. You dont understand the coding wizardry that is involved in making something like this, thats why its so special and held in such high regard, because honestly not many people in the world can do what Vic has done. Just admit this game is one of a kind. Thats all were trying to say.
>>
Any AI mods yet, or is it still the chungus cluwne brigade throwing chits at me in the hope I'll simply buckle under the pressure of a poorly directed war of attrition?
>>
>>850744
His WW2 games are only related to WW2 with regard to the military units. Geopolitically speaking they have nothing to do with ww2
>>
>>850883
Sure thing boss, Graviteam vs steel division. A perfect example of a game that is not only more mechanically complex but also more realistic at the same time. There are lots of hex based wargames, surely you can name at least (1) hex based scifi 4x game better shadow empire.
>>
>>850954
>brigades
lol get gud.
try fighting a 3-front war against 100's of divisions
>>
>>850791
If you actually follow the thread of argument, it's about you claiming each game has non-linear weaponry research and progression, which is bs.
>>
>>850975
>There are lots of hex based wargames, surely you can name at least (1) hex based scifi 4x game better shadow empire.
Okay, this is at least better than the previous requirement for an example of a game which is better in every way. But why does the example game need to be 4X, and why does the setting need to be science fiction? Both of those are rare in wargaming, and the combination is probably unique to shadow empires.

Actually, let's say I concede that there's no better game than shadow empires in that space. What point are you trying to make with this? Are you trying to argue that parts of a game can't be considered flawed unless another game comes along and does the whole thing better?
>>
>>850975
>There are lots of hex based wargames, surely you can name at least (1) hex based scifi 4x game better shadow empire.
Emperor of the Fading Suns
Ez
>>
>>850744

Just play it broheim it's not like anything else.
>>
>>851244
Vicbros... how will we recover?
>>
>>841813
Conquest of Elysium 5 is my choice for a light 4x, just stick with small or medium sized maps and you can easily get through a game in under a week as there isn't much bloat but you have to roll with the randomness/roguelikeness.

>>843032
This is my take as well - the gameplay is a mixed bag but the ideas are incredibly interesting and make the game worth playing to anyone burned out on Civ.

I ended up winning 2 games and kinda burned out, really looking forward to the navy update as I think continent/Island play will really alleviate the tedious logistics.

>>851244
SE is way more playable/complete than Fading Suns but I do see a lot of similarities.
>>
>>852219
>I ended up winning 2 games
How much time did you spend on one? I just reroll after a few turns of boring advance-build road gameplay loop.
>>
>>852278
Probably around 30 hours for my first game (not counting my separate "tutorial" game that I played for like 20 turns and abandoned) and 10 hours for my second win.

My first full game was a full sized ice-world with only 3 majors in the ruins of megalopolises all on the same side of the planet in a "valley" between massive mountain ranges beyond which was nomad and raider territory. I wasted a lot of time fighting ineffectively against slavers but eventually built up a capable army with a few tanks capable of dominating the open ice plains of our valley. I spied on and eventually backstabbed the nearest rival city state when I saw them move troops to deal with raiders, winning swiftly but having to fend off their loyalist army. The second he of the game was just expanding down the valley the the south pole where the final major was based, forcing me to master logistics out of necessity as nomad incursions were a constant petty threat. Having only 3 majors made the game manageable, it would have been painfully tedious to conquer every last corner.

The second win was a small moon where I specifically set out to blitz win. Used diplomacy (which is OP) to annex the Farmers between me and another major, found nuke, invaded and nuked first major and got the victory message for owning most of the territory. Just kept playing for fun to siege down the remaining major.

So I guess my advice is to play with fewer majors and/or small maps.
>>
>>851238
>Are you trying to argue that parts of a game can't be considered flawed unless another game comes along and does the whole thing better?
You said it was shallow. Well, compared to what exactly? I'm sick of entering every thread and seeing the garbage you cretins shit out.
>game x is shit!
why
>Its shallow and the AI is le bad!
Ok great, now that we've established that you hate every strategy game, can you give me this deep game with good AI you are playing?
>lol no
>>
It’s kind of mediocre. There’s a problem with a lot of strategy games playing single player where you are either so far ahead you’re unstoppable or getting crushed without a chance. This game has basically no meaningful multiplayer capability so there’s no way around it.
The logistics system is interesting at first, but during a conquest it gets old quickly. I enjoy developing new unit types and researching tech. The decisions system is pretty good, I think it could benefit from more longer running story/event chains, rather than a succession of “this guy fucked up, now everybody hates you”
The biggest problem I. This game is that the AI takes too long to move and usually doesn’t know how to fight, wars usually devolve into the ai retreating 1 tile at a time each turn for many turns. Or the AI fails at logistics and destroys its own supply
>>
>>853861
>It’s kind of mediocre.
Lame take. You can call it janky, unpolished, having faulty logistics, having bad AI etc., but the ONE thing you cannot call it is mediocre. There is nothing like SE on the market at the moment except perhaps Fading Suns, the closest comparison regarding new-ish games could be WitE. I don't even play SE regularly, but quite a few of its mechanics are stuck in my mind to this day.
>>
>>846760
are you fucking retarded anon?
I am asking not for foraging but for using locally produced and stored supplies - that in game are transported to SHQ and then transported back to units
>>846710
that its a option but its pain in the ass
that its the biggest problem with this game - as soon as mystery of how it works is gone its simply not fun
>>
>>845266
not much desu
there is nothing really similar to this outside maybe Emperor of the Fading Suns
from 4x i usually play RoTP(MoO 1) and Stellar Monarch
the thing is the game could be good and have potential but its buried under busywork, weird designs and boring stuff
>>
>>853886
he is right tho
sure I want to like it and its somewhat interesting but it is what it is
a mediocre game
>>
File: 57eo.gif (857 KB, 475x202)
857 KB
857 KB GIF
>>854341
>it is what it is
Midwit identified, target locked.
>>
>>854341
>spending all your free time defending a game when several people have called it mediocre
>>
>>854594
tell me then what part of the game is great then
>>
I dunno why people are upset here
The game is great. I wish Vic spends more time on the AI
I do wish we get a remake of the EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS with its great writing and atmosphere
>that feel when you see worlds falling to synmbionts one after another
Thrre was a remake attempt (project phoenix) but it is dead.
>>
>>854894
Great ways to identify a midwit:
>Rather than justify statements, makes vague statements such as "it is what it is" without providing supporting evidence
>When called out refuses to provide additional details
>Moves goal posts, for example if he is asked why something is "mediocre" he will put the onus on the long suffering high IQ poster to provide evidence why the game is "great"
>High propensity towards approved leftism, is probably is interested in polyamory and posts on his namefag social media about his Fauci-ouchie
>Height: N/A as it is less than six foot

>>855094
Agree but to be fair developing AI at this level should basically be someone's fulltime job and Vince does it all on his own. My dream is that he gets a team to make a proper sequel that cuts some of the fat/refines what is already there.
>>
>>855209
>>>/pol/
>>
Shadow Empire is awesome. The only problem is that it’s essentially a solved game. The AI can’t really compete once you understand the basics and there’s essentially no gut punches or unforeseen consequences to your actions (barring failing the robo AI skill check which can fuck you up incredibly hard holy shit). But games still usually play out very differently despite that, but it’s still a game that takes an incredibly long time to play that will mostly inevitably play out the same each time. Also some design choices are silly, like how upgrading industry and farms especially takes an absurdly inefficient amount of population. A lot of stuff could be and should be streamlined but other things, like logistics, should be expanded on. Mainly resource should actually just spawn where they’re produced, rather than being magically teleported to your HQ and then sent out from there. It would add an extra layer of complexity that’s perfectly logical and intuitive in regards to things like food and fuel. Naturally if your armies are deployed near food it’s easy to supply them with food, and same with oil for your vehicles. Conversely trying to feed and oil your armies far from your agricultural and industrial sectors should require serious infrastructure investment to pull off.
>>
>>855257
I thought transporting goods from production hexes to SHQ takes logistics points or whatever they are called.
>>
>>855257
>>855269
When something is produced it is added to the zone inventory and then is sent to the SHQ if possible. Zones still have their own inventory and will store things even if cut off from the SHQ, which they will then send later on when they can. They can use their own inventory to feed their pops, construct buildings and so on. It's only really sending things to other zones and your troops that requires a connection. The SHQ is weird though, since it counts both as a central storage with its own weight but its storage capacity comes from taking a part of the storage of each zone.

Anyway to your question, it doesn't take logistic points to go from the production hexes to the zone inventory, but it does take them to go from the zone's city to the SHQ.
>>
>>837855
I liked it but I haven't been playing it lately. I've moved back into tactics over strat for the time being.
>>
>>838018
>>838245
The graphics were fine and a placeholder would look like shit. The real answer is not to have graphics at all or to set it up so people release their own mod packs for faces.

The whole point of the style was to facilitate changes designs on people and models. Most games wouldn't bother to make them age in real time, for instance.
Vic did something good there but it wasn't polished up to the spastic standards of a lot of people.

That said, as someone who also likes ascii stuff you're 100% right in that imagination can do all the work for you - but not a lot of people have an imagination they're willing to dust off these days.
I'm surprised Dominions as the traction it does with its basic sprite based graphics.
>>
>>850343
Board games are more often than not funner than video games and frankly in terms of mechanics are almost always more complex outside of the limitiations of needing to use dice for RNG and being restricted to math that won't bog the game down too much.
Like the most complex RPG systems in video games are all those ripped from TTRPGs.
Imagine being a paradoxfag and coping about shitty warsims in a wargaming thread.
>>
>>855316
>paradox
rent free
>>
>>855209
so you can't even give one example of why this game is great?
>buh muh midwit
whatever give examples
or there is none?
>>
>>855752
I’m not that anon but here are things that make SE stand out:
>its a sci-fi, but a proper wargame, as much as you can create a wargame based on fictional elements
Just this thing makes it very interesting. I have yet to see other sci fi wargames with mutants, giant mechas and aliens.
>fantastic planet generation
I spend more tie generating planets than playing. Of course theres more to be done in this sphere but already its fun.
>with all that its also a 4x set in dystopian places.
Moon is a Hars Mistress.

I admit that Emperor of te fading suns had better writing, graphics and depth, but we are not getting EOFS any time soon.
Maybe SE2 will be like it.
>>
>>855752
A nice combination of 4X with detailed wargaming mechanics that require more thinking than "bro just send ur dumstack at them lmao"

Interesting planet generation mechanic that actually influences games - you wont really have an airforce on a planet with heavy gravity, and a barren planet with no conditions for live won't really have any oil (aside from other difficulties) so forget having huge batalions of tanks

At the same time you may start on a jungle planet rich in natural resources and with perfect conditions to sustain life... only to find that there indeed is plenty of life on that planet and that it doesn't really like you.

The goverment mechanics are pretty good and you can do a fair amount of roleplay, playing as a diplomat gathering minor nations under your banner, powerful conqueror or cruel despot

It's just a pretty cool strategy that's a couple levels above the average 4x games we've been getting which just settled on copying civ v
>>
>>856311
Midwit bully here - agree with your takes. Planet generation is inspired and creates such a great narrative element both in terms of the materials available but also in planting a unique sense of place into your mind each game.

The card system is also brilliant, and I generally hate deck builders. I think it needs refinement, but having a base cost of actions AND a mix of control (your alignment impacts what cards you get) and randomness (cards are randomly drawn) creates a really interesting puzzle to optimize your decisions/regime policy.

Biggest pitfall is the overly involved logistics which makes the late game borderline unplayable on large worlds.
>>
>>850975
Graviteam vs a Steel Division
Never played either, but I’m curious which are you saying is better here?
>>
What is the goal?
>>
>>857111
Acquire more than 50% of hexes on the map
>>
>>857124
Population percentage also factors in victory points, not just land.
So you can push yourself over the edge by using WMDs to depopulate your biggest rivals.
>>
>>856967
I like graviteam better. Used to like steel division but fell off when the paid divisions came out and stomped everything. Never really played single player
>>
Vic you son of a bitch let me rename unit and formation types freely

"MG Infantry" is a shit name, don't make me manually rename them to Rifle Brigades

LET ME CALL MY MECH UNITS "DRAGOONS" AAAAAA

Can you change the name if you customize a formation? Haven't gotten far enough to bother doing that since I started playing again
>>
File: 1610904139167.jpg (36 KB, 400x469)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Why the fuck does logistics function like some water river that sprouts from the mystical mountain named SHQ instead of supplies going where they need to be. High IQ and realistic design right here. I would also like to make stockpiles on the frontline but apparently this river can't be stored. That ammo can't be saved for a few months, oh no, it would spoil. Does anyone even bother to make a 2nd SHQ?
>>
Man, really wish Ardennes Offensive would come to Steam soon, maybe some of you plebs would play it.
>>
>>859079
I would consider it.
t. pleb
>>
>>844689
In general and niche enough that nobody here will like it? Star Ruler 2 with the expansion. Haven't tried the openSR pack yet but I bought the base game on release years ago, very fun with hard AIs or friends.
>>
>>859576
Looks like fun, gonna check it out
>>
>>859079
nope
i won't even bother pirating it
>>
>>859598
Just make sure you learn the ship creator first using the sandbox, and save some designs for use ingame. The AI typically uses randomly generated ships that can either btfo the originals or get utterly fucked by them.
>>
>>858857
>Vic you son of a bitch let me rename unit and formation types freely
Go to "Unit Administration" on the right panel when you have the unit selected. Read the manual before you complain.
>>
>>860817
I can (and do) rename each individual unit in that page.

I mean being able to rename unit and formation TYPES, i.e. set the name once globally and now all my MG Infantry brigades are named "Rifle Brigade" when they spawn, all their battalions are named "Rifle Battalions", etc. A minor decrease in the work needed to immulse myself vs doing it manually.

Again I think it may be possible with the new formation customization that the staff council can do, but it's quite expensive to get enough customization points and it's not in the manual so.
>>
>>861344
Been months since I played by I remember doing exactly this- I believe from the Researched Unit Types page. Was cool giving my units thematic names that fit our planet type/regime alignment
>>
>>861475
Oh really? Are you sure you're not talking about renaming models? I've clicked on all the Formation Type pages I can find and haven't found a rename option
>>
>>861503
You can name the formations when you create/modify them. I'm not sure they can be re-named.
>>
>>861518
Ah, yeah, that's what I figured, that I had to use the Customize Formation feature to rename them. Hoped I could do it for free, oh well
>>
>>861344
>I mean being able to rename unit and formation TYPES
Thats dumb. Theres no reason to do that.
>>
>>862228

I'm a free man. I dont need to have reason, COMMIE.
>>
>>862291
Absolutely BTFO the newfag statist. Glorious day. I shall re-read the American Constitution and declare Indepandence (I'm so un-free I do not know how to spell it, I am European, forgive me)
>>
>>862291
based and REDpilled
I want my Rifle Brigades too
t.Sovietsympathizer
>>
>>861344
>formation TYPES
the whole discover formation system is so fucking dumb and convulted
>>
>>862312
Spelling mistakes do not matter if you know the
meaning freedom in your heart. Also the joke here is that I'm from one of the more socialist euro-states and can only dream. But I will keep dreaming.

Also I hate it how my battalions turn into brigades and regiments into corps if I combine multiple types of units into the same custom formation. I want to have my regimental combat teams with multiple support arms in tow, even if it is not effective. Because reasons.
>>
>>862330
This. My formation list is full of redundant earlier versions of later formations, when I've created all sorts of combinations. I understand the point of discovering models and creating them, but the OOB creator is just odd.
>>
>>862417
the model creator is also not great but well, formations are really fucking obtuse
I don't really think wtf dev was thinking or on what sort of medication he was when he was getting this sort of idea
>>
>>862228
It is for IMMULSION. I want to be IMMULSED in my empire's culture.

>>862429
It almost makes sense, because the journey from, for example, tanks being invented and proper armored divisions being formed was a pretty long and tortured one, so it makes sense you'd want to model operational developments as well as technological ones.

But on the other hand, in Shadow Empire I can wake up bright and early on the very first day after the first prototype of the very first tank is completed (model development) and order 3,600 of them to be formed into an independent army, so that kind of falls flat.

I think there are better ways to still have the "we're figuring out how to use this new weapon on a strategic level" process be included (which I like), but the current system is a little rough.
>>
>>862228
Since I cant hide all use the useless bloat formations when creating a new unit, it should let me rename them to [USELESS SHIT IGNORE]
>>
>>862621
but infantry is always going to be infantry
tanks are always gonna be tanks
artillery is always gonna be artillery. but you can always rename the unit to whatever you want, use your imagination.
>>
I took the smallworld pill
Best decision I've ever made
>>
>>865643
how small we talking
>>
>>865735
Lowest roll small sized planets. Seth, Hydra etc.
>>
I wish I was smart enough for this game :(
>>
>>865916
you are anon. Just start small, and read the manual. Youll get it.
>>
>>857790
based
>>
>>837855
>do you guys think?
No, a debilitating infliction.
>>
>>837855
An interesting game completely, utterly and entirely bottlenecked by a beyond shit AI.
A lot of time went into the making of this game, sadly none of it went into giving you an interesting and or challenging opponent. Your main opponent will be the mechanics and mastering them.

Should have designed it with multiplayer in mind, if WitP can be multiplayer despite its scale, then so could this have been.
>>
>>866755
Shadow Empire is multiplayer though
>>
>>866472
Bad advice as the manual is overwhelming and poorly written. It's a great reference item but just sitting down and reading it is not fun for most.

New anon, just look up "The Edmon Ruthlessly Simplified Starting Guide" for shadow empire on YouTube, once you know how to build some machine gunners you can just turtle and have fun learning the game at your own pace for a bit.

>>866755
>Should have designed it with multiplayer in mind
Agree the AI is weak but disagree MP focus fixes anything, large scale turn based strategy multiplayer is beyond niche though and SE's gameplay loop is even less suited to it than Dominions.
>>
>>866770
Yes, but as >>866774 points out, not really.

I don't see any solution to this "problem" other than giving you either human opponents, or designing/programming an AI of putting up a fight. The latter of those two is several orders of magnitude harder to do with our current techs.

What I basically would have liked is a SE(ish) game that was designed from the ground up with MP in mind.
>>
File: se_devlog_dec7_small-1.jpg (144 KB, 640x484)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>837855
New dev post from Vic just now:
https://www.vrdesigns.net/?p=2111
>>
>>866903
navychads... we're gonna make it
>>
>>867031
>being excited for a feature that was already in his previous game
On the same engine no less.
>>
>>867037
So what if he has similar mechanics in another game - he's adding it, free of charge, as an additional mechanic/game style to a different game. And it's not just additive, it's multiplicative to the other SE mechanics as I've been ranting in these threads for ages that navy will be awesome on its own but also likely alleviate a lot of the logistics fiddlyness
>>
>>867076
naval logistics will probably just be implemented the same way as air bridges currently. But that would make multi-continent empires very tedious, so I hope not.
>>
>>867267
In his last eXplorminate interview Vic said he was leaning towards a large "sector based" (not hex) Naval system so wouldn't that imply it would be different to flow through possibly snaking Naval routes or isolated fleets?
>>
My turn times are getting unmanageable...
>>
>>867611 (check)
You're a spoiled little brat, one turn per day should be more than sufficient.
>>
>>867611
take the small world pill
>>
>>867031
>>866903

OH HAIL MIGHTY VIC!!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.