[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

CTP2 was really fun. Why don't more people remember it? Were the CTP games not that popular? Sea cities, mega mines, fusion hover tanks. Civ 3 never had any of that.
>>
They were too busy playing the actual Civilization games to care about a spin-off series which was just the same thing
>>
>>793575
I played CTP1 and 2 more than Civ 3 but I can't for the life of me say anything about the two, unlike civ 3
>>
>>793575
I never played it back then, Civ3 being my initial go to game
I heard there were quite a few good features very unique to the genre
but nowadays I can never get into it because weird unintuitive interface
please fill me in
>>
>>793575
>Keeps making "I am forgotten" threads
>For non-forgotten games
Fuck off already, shithead

As for CTP2 "failure" - Activision had no clue how to market it once they were forced to drop the "Civilization" part of the title. That's literally all. Gameplay-wise, it's Civ 2 with fancier graphics and futuristic timeline.
>>
>>793609
It had combat system akin to Imperialism (or you could just have standard combat from Civ games) and instead of workers, tile upgrades were done with literal workforce of your civ. There was also a bunch of gimmick units, lik laywers issuing C&D to enemy town, stealing their money as a result.
That's all that there was in terms of uniqueness to it. Game was just lackluster in the long run.
>>
>>793612
Who hurt you?
>>
>>793575
Yea, I remember really liking this one and missing some features when I got into the other Civilization games.
>>
>>793609
Only played the first one but
>No workers but you made public works that you could spend on improvements
>trade routes were visible in the map and could be raided
>sabotage units like slavers, preachers or lawers who did economic damage
>space layer that you could use to move troops fast around the map
>sea and space were able to be exploited thanks to sea and space cities
>orbital and anti-orbital warfare
>stacks limited to 9 units
>battles were done in a separate screen and were automatic
>Battles had melee and ranged units, if you didn't have melee, your range units would fight in the front (the economic damage units could also fight when the rest of the army was destroyed but they did minimum damage
>Some types of government gave you special units (IIRC theocracy gave you the preachers, technocracy gave you bitches with dual plasma guns)
>Polution and eco damage was a thing, but the tech tree went enough into the future that you could fix the damage, say fuck it and go live in the sea and space where you didn't get affected or full eco-terrorist and econuke cities into forests
>>
>>794533
It took quite a few things from Alpha Centauri. Was an interesting game.

I never understood much about the companies behind these games back then due to lack of internet and being 10. My progression was Civ 2 to Alpha Centauri to CTP2 to Civ 3. And it was a fucking culture shock hitting Civ 3 and all the stuff from AC and CTP2 just wasent there at all. Muh sea city :(
>>
>>794975
The lack of proper futurism is a big letdown in Civ games.
Even modern ones just settle on meme unit and call it a day.
Meantime CTP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPuU8Pq9D3Q
>>
>>794976
You can't have fun in videogames nowadays.
I remember I played shit-ton of Civ 2 - test of time and loads of options it came with. Especially Sci-fi one.
>>
how's the enemy AI in this? civ2-tier?
>>
>>794975
Funny enough, AC and CtP1 were released two months apart from each other.
>>
>>793575
The way resource gathering works felt weird at first, but later on in the game I can actually appreciate it for requiring less micromanagement
>>
>>798518
tell me more
>>
>>798870
The city radius is divided into the eight tiles immediately around the city and the other twelve further away.
Each of the first six population points gathers a sixth of all the resources in the inner circle and the twelve citizens beyond that start gathering a twelfth of the outer circle's total yield. Trade goods in the outer circle are also not available before city size 7.
>>
File: Apolyton1.jpg (131 KB, 800x600)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
This mod is a must for anyone and everyone playing CtP2:
http://motmod.ctp2.info/ctp-2-apolyton-edition.html
>>
I played it when i was a kid and I still think its better than main civ games. it has a lot of features and graphics that are much better
>>
>>799917
>and graphics that are much better
Best among the 2D Civs, especially compared to 3.
Like WTF is up with default Civ 3 terrain - everything's smeared and the forests look like the Jolly Green Giant's unkempt pubes.
>>
>>799589
so its basically a two tile city radius as in traditional civ? but I'm guessing the way pop is assigned is different?
>>
>>799974
You don't assign population to specific tiles, they basically auto-gather the entirety of each circle in order
First the inner circle of tiles has to reach 100% output, then on top of that the outer circle starts giving resources
This affects where tile improvements should be placed, starting with the inner circle
>>
>>800149
System was based. I can see spergs shitting on this though as it seems to take away their precious time wasting micromanagement.
>>
>>800149
>>800995
nah, I really prefer Humankind style though, Pandora had a similar focused approach to it
but honestly the minimalistic way Oriental Empires does it is the most sensical one
>>
>>794976
>>794978
Why do people care about/want futurism in their Civ-likes? They're always just ways for the devs to shoehorn politics in and they and the futuristic technologies always age horribly. I'd rather the chronological (and military) endgame be a dedicated WW1 equivalent and have more immersive and distinctive Antiquity-Medieval-Exploration ages than lasers squeezed into every orifice.
>>
>>793575
End game was too busy and weird.
>>
>>804102
because we like fun, unlike your brain which is on too much internet
>>
>>804102
>Fusion tank
>Ages horribly

Pick one.

Plus CTP2 comes from a time before everyone jammed politics into everything and companies started to openly take a political position on things. Back then companies just shut the fuck up and created stuff.
>>
>>804102
I'd suggest leaving the internet for a week and taking a walk outside, but I doubt your legs work anymore.
>>
>>804102
Boy, I can only imagine your reaction one day when you will find out SMAC and deride it for being leftist woke trash and useless futurism.
And then being surprised why everyone and their dog calls you a retard
>>
>>804102
You can pry my singularity stasis grav hovertank from my cold dead fingers.
>>
Since we are discussing futurism...
>Ecotopia
>Corporate Republic
>Technocracy
>Virtual Democracy
Which one?
>>
>>804519
Technocracy for sexy girls in bodysuits and plasma guns
>>
>>804519
Ecotopia, for the most effective way of eradicating your enemies.
If not that, VD is the best of the four in terms of benefits in all fields and CR is a total meme, even among an-cap memes.
>>
>>804564
I always found satisfying utterly destroying any annoying neighbor with Eco-Rangers.
Rest of nations that were not bigger than you, became scared shitless off nano-attacks and stopped ever DOWing me.
>>
does the game have ai as retarded as civ 3 or what? civ 3 is extremely comfy but the ai pisses me off whenever i try to play it between its inability to use many types of units (siege and anti-air) and its general autistic disposition towards the player (walking a warrior through my territory to explore then declaring war when i request it gone just to request peace without a battle a dozen turns later)
>>
>>807389
I didn't have time back then to play it out and figure out, but it can get somewhat passive if you use super weapons too much due to fear modifier.
Other than that its usually "enemy for life" after one slight in higher difficulty.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.