[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 165 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Dawn of Man.png (3.65 MB, 1920x1080)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB PNG
what are some comfy city/base builders /vst/ likes?
I've been playing Dawn of Man, taking care of a tribe of grugs is pretty chill
>>
Comfy game really needed more going on though
>>
>>791741
Ostriv is the peak of the whole sub-genre. It also makes all the Slavs seethe at each other, which is an added bonus
>>
Any actually hard/challenging/engaging games?

Sadly a lot of these games quickly become trivial once you overcome some basic needs, which leaves me wishing for more.
Sort of related, I recommend Factory Town. It's closer to Factorio than city builders, in fact I'd call it Factorio with a city building theme. It's extremely comfy and engaging in the same way Factorio is.

Very based dev that keeps pumping updates out
>>
File: wr.jpg (48 KB, 460x215)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>
File: comfy chernobyl.jpg (607 KB, 1256x2116)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
>>791790
>mfw Soviet Electro starts playing
confirmed comfy
>>
>>791790
Comfy until you go full autarky and have to micromanage everything.
>>
>>791783
factory town is based and deserves more attention
>>
>>791741
>Dawn of Man
literally just
>build thing
>you unlock thing 2!
>build thing 2
>you unlock thing 3!
>build thing 3
>game complete
0 actual decisions for the player to make. terrible game honestly
>>
File: timberborn.jpg (525 KB, 1920x1080)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
Timberborn is great
not a 10/10 yet but I have faith
>>
>>791766
>It also makes all the Slavs seethe at each other, which is an added bonus
kek, why?
>>
File: 1627638854324.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1080)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>791890
I had a decent time doing one 'playthrough', maybe it was just comfy, but I really do feel 0 desire to play it again.
>>
>>791915
i liked it but after one playthrough you have seen it all. even all the maps feel the same
>>
>>791914
cause thats not how you spell an island
>>
>>791741
Foundations if you want a little ant colony, mods are fun too
>>
>>791914
Russians are mad, because the only Cyrillic version of the game is in Ukrainian (native of the dev).
Ukrainians are mad for it being presented as setting up a Russian colony.
Belarusians are mad because it makes copious references to Ukrainian and Russian customs and cuisine.
Poles are mad because szlachta isn't included and its apparently free, Rus peasants.
Everyone else meanwhile just sits and laughs
>>
besides the cities and sim city games

settlers series
highly recommend children of the nile
black and white 1 and 2
banished is the classic steam game.
>>
>>791783
>>791896
ffs I want to try these but they're early access.
>>
I found base building in Cryofall to be pretty comfy. I just saw that they put in a local mode and personal servers. I’m considering spinning one up for friend/family. The official servers are not bad, friendly community relative to other games of the genre (a couple years ago) but the wipes every couple months sent me elsewhere.
>>
>>791741
Anno. If you just want to make efficient/nice looking cities you can turn the AI down or off.
>>
>>793067
I wish someone would try the CotN approach to economy again. With simulated families living in their homes with jobs and craftsmen running shops and getting their own mats trying to make a profit instead of the player running a communist 5 year plan for his nameless population digits.
>>
File: Chadkhenaten.png (777 KB, 1202x782)
777 KB
777 KB PNG
>>793067
>banished
>starving simulator
>comfy
nah
I do agree that children of the nile is peak comfy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfpIr4GMrc
lovely OST too
>>
>>791790
>>791799
slav city builder is definitely one of my favorite games ever, not only its comfy city building, but resource management, supply chain and etc

>>791741
While I liked this initially it felt very grindy for some reason, a lot of micro in having to hunt animals and whatnot, don't remember if it was early access too
how feature complete is it now?
>>
>>793680
>>793067
Banished is definitely peak comfy, I think the starving challenge makes it a lot more interesting and satisfying when you do make a sustainable village, having to deal with seasonal effect of things do give more of a tact passage of time,
the colonial charter mod adds a lot of great content, however my issue with it is the lack of depth and eventual limitations of the game, like grid, plane only, resource gathering and stuff like that, these are not too much of a deal but got on my nerves as time went on
>>
>>791783
>Sadly a lot of these games quickly become trivial once you overcome some basic needs

Thats so true, most of these early access games never have a good middle/end game.
>>
File: 1628691269289.jpg (226 KB, 1200x1219)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>792970
>laughing in Balkanese
>>
>>791896
Man I knew this was gonna hit just in the right spots, I just love water autism,
while playing Skylines I was hoping for more intricate water reservoir and consumption mechanics, and this does just that
>>
>>791783
oxygen not included is the obvious answer. Insanely deep end game, extreme map diversity, and things are always breaking or running out without feeling unfair or RNGish. I don't know if I'd call it comfy or the same vibe as any of the games in this thread but thought I should mention it
>>
Just in time
>>
>>791783
>>793713
Came here to check how this game (Dawn of Man) measures up in this regard. Banished and Endzone both did nothing for me for this reason. Damn the man who introduced Early Access to the world.
>>
This game is very addictive, holy crap
>>
>>791741
Anno.
Any Anno just pick which era you like best.
>>
>>795214
Is the town supposed to be flooded?
>>
>>793067
Children of the Nile brings back so much comfy memories and nostalgia. Definitely one that's worth checking out.
>>
>>795226
nope, lmao,
I was just messing with the floodgates, turns out two were too little for the river flow
keep in mind this was before me realizing you have to maximize the most of green land while prefering to build urban areas uphill
>>
>>795214
What's so good about it. I can see there are water mechanics, but isn't that just a gimmick? You can build a semi-realistic dam, but besides that isn't it just a regular city builder?
>>
>>791766
No, but seriously, memes aside, Ostriv is really solid in its own niche.
>>
>Early Access
>Early Access
>Early Access
>Early Access
>Early Access
What the fuck is wrong with city builders. Everything is half-finished and moving at the pace of two new buildings a year.
>>
>>791741
Is Surviving Mars any good? It's 75% off on steam right now...
>>
>>793067
>>793482
>>795231

CotN is my favourite classic city builder. As >>793482 says, it's really neat that it has a properly developed private economy rather than the communist hive-city of most historical city builders.

I liked to look at the family histories - see a family move from the villages to be farmers, then shop keepers, then scribes.
>>
>>795272
Its fun for a couple of play thoughs. Not really a classic or anything.

Make sure you get the terraforming DLC, it makes it much more fun.
>>
>>795272
I'd say worth it for that price
Think I played for some 20 hours before getting tired of the orange landscape
>>
Any love for Songs of Syx?

It really satisfies my autism.
>>
>>795253
>Factory Town
thats because big studios dont make em anymore its all indie devs
>>
>>793482
>I wish someone would try the CotN approach to economy again. With simulated families living in their homes with jobs and craftsmen running shops and getting their own mats trying to make a profit instead of the player running a communist 5 year plan for his nameless population digits.
>>795277
>it's really neat that it has a properly developed private economy rather than the communist hive-city of most historical city builders.
Can you guys elaborate please? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>794083
Terrible, when you reach 100~150 pop you have pretty much beaten the game, unless you care for doing nothing but waiting for invasions that will kill 0~1 villagers of ur town.
>>
>>795334
You build businesses/houses, and families move in to the houses. For example, you build a "farmer's house", and a family moves in and becomes farmers, you you build a "bakery", and a family moves in and becomes bakers.

Houses/businesses are either public sector or private sector. Public sector businesses include bakers, scribes, or brick makers. Public sector buildings are built with bricks from the state's brickmakers, and public sector families are paid in food from the state's granaries. Private sector businesses include farmers, servants, or shop keepers. Private sector businesses earn payment by providing services, and the buildings cost nothing to build (the family builds the building with their own resources).

A special case is farmers - when there is a harvest, some of the crop goes to the farmer's family, some goes to the noble family that owns the fields, and some goes to the state.

All your state expenditure (soldiers, monument building, providing public services) is funded by taxing farmers. Shop keepers, entertainers, nobles and servants have no direct interaction with the state. If you designate too many shops, the shop keepers will be poor and sad because they can't make enough sales. If your shopkeepers become very rich, they can afford to send their children to school to become literate - providing educated people to become state servants like scribes, priests, or overseers.

The system isn't super deep, but it is fun, and a really noticably different mechanic to the 'traditional' Impressions Games model. I wish it had taken off more.
>>
>>795416
That sounds really cool, unfortunately it seems any attempt at making realistic economy city builders is a thing of the past
>>
>>795416
>>795539
Lords and Villeins is kinda going for that. Obviously it's another pixel indie early acces shit, but still they try at least.

You are the lord of the village and you assign a family a farmland set that you collect 30% of the harvest as tax and that gets out into yoru private storage and you can sell that back to people or use it. All households generally own what they produce, you taxes aside, and will trade with each other. So the family that you assigned forest will sell logs and planks and the farmers will buy those to build their house and sell grains. It's pretty decent feudalism simulator. It also has different ways and taxation schemes on the land that the peasants work and shit.
>>
>>795559
Thanks, I'll check it out. I was a bit turned off by the art style on first glance, but it sounds like it has interesting mechanics.
>>
File: Europe.gif (1.37 MB, 640x513)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>791741
Dawn of Man is really comfy, real shame the game is extremely short and there is no variation in builds, so each game will always play out the same
love the theme though, wish more games did stone age
>>
File: 1619215098802.png (311 KB, 344x410)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
>>796164
Ancient Cities can still turn out ok, r-right?
>>
>>791741
I like oxygen not included. Comfy when you get the game down. Can be stressful at first.
>>
>>791783
>Sadly a lot of these games quickly become trivial once you overcome some basic needs

Is Anno like this too? I quickly lose motivation when it's clear you can't lose anymore
>>
>>791766
>>795242
From what I remember from very early access version, it really looked awful with wash white snow and not much unique features yet, what has it got going for itself nowadays?
>>
>>796283
You can really lose in anno. Technically there is warfare but it's not really central to the game.
Anno is about building the massive supply chain required to advance people to the highest social class. You will need to secure resources from multiple islands, different pop types and possibly different maps.
Like, in 1800 you will need rum at some point, but that can't be produced on original map, you need to discover new world and build a mexican settlement there that has it's own needs tree and shit.
>>
>>796461
My PC is pretty shit so I was considering playing one of the 2D Annos. Which is better, 1602 or 1503?
>>
>>796521
Never got around to playing 1602 extensively but I like 1503
>>
>>796521
Oh. 1503 is probably the only anno game I haven't played so I don't really know anything about it. 1602 should be playable, I remember it being fine, but it's been a while and I haven't played that extensively either.
Earliest anno I played a lot was 1701. The classic anno is usually considered 1404, it has most stuff before weird ubishit.. shit started holding them hostage. I think i prefer 1701 of that era though, if only out of nostalgia because I played it more first. I don't like the medieval setting.
Even on a shit PC you probably are going to be able to play either, but not sure how shit are we talking.
My all time favourite is probably 2070 though despite that being a bit of a heretical choice.
>>
>>796169
maybe in 3 years. its a tech demo at this stage
>>
>>791803
You thought building communism is easy, comrade? It's hard work! Just as Marx taught us, we are to work.
>>
>>795253
At least with indie EA you'll get updates for free. With big publishers you'd have to pay for DLCs for a """finished""" game.
>>
any good historical city builder come out recently?
I played Nebuchanezzar and didn't think much of it
>>
>>796321
>Didn't play a game for +4 years
>Bad-mouths it anyway
>>
>>791783
Frostpunk is great at engaging and creating tension/immersion, and it gets pretty hard at the hardest difficulties, but the replayability is limited.
>>
>>791890
It's a thinking man's game, you wouldent get it
>>
File: Dawn of Man.gif (1.91 MB, 1200x675)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB GIF
>>796164
played through the whole thing Paleolithic to Iron Age in 7h38m
it's fun and comfy but there isn't really any replay value, you'll end up researching every single tech and building every possible building, no such thing as different cultures to choose from or different playstyles to implement
still I liked it well enough and watching an empty lakeside field turn into a prosperous celtic village was cool, pic related is my little village
>>
File: anno.jpg (758 KB, 1920x1080)
758 KB
758 KB JPG
>>791741
Can't go wrong with Anno1404. People will hate the land combat, but i liked it. Bunch of big mods too. Pic related with IAAM
>>
Even the well-made games of this genre are crippled by the fear of the developers to provide any sort of real challenge. You make it through a couple of lean years at the start and boom you've got enough huge surpluses that any tension evaporates and you'd have to actively go out of your way to see your settlement fail.

Ostriv is definitely by far the most promising and innovative of the genre (and doesn't let up the challenge). I'm always puzzled why the Banished guy didn't make a sequel since the game sold over two million copies and he was a one man team. Even a solid expansion pack or something would have definitely been worth his while.
>>
Best city builder with roman aesthetics?
>>
>>798367
Timberborn is good for creating a challenge. I'm playing it in hard, the droughts get worse over time which forces you to expand further and further to build more intricate dams and reservoirs. It's really neat. It's a really good mechanic to avoid the usual problem city builders have with a lack of challenge.
>>
>>798161
seems like there is a missing step from mudhuts into early wooden or stone buildings, like in banished
if we actually got to see the evolution into a village form it could be really neat, don't quite remember but I think this was featured in its teaser trailer several years ago
>>
>>798419
CivCity: Rome.
Caesar series is a barely playable mess, and variety of clones has their own flaws.
CC:R isn't even a good game by itself, it just sucks the least
>>
>>798605
>seems like there is a missing step from mudhuts into early wooden or stone buildings
There really isn't. You go from shacks to simple wood-and-mud huts, then iron age huts.
Reminder this is a game based on North European and outright Nordic excavations for the related periods, not some sort of generic prehistory or Hollywood take on it. Which is ironic, given it was made by bunch of Spaniards
>>
>>798740
>Caesar series is a barely playable mess
Confirmed retard.
>>
>>798752
yeah later I looked into the trailer video to see its see its actual stone huts and whatnot, it just seen very similar from the top up like anon's timelapse here >>798161
anyway, looks decent enough, I might give it a try later on after I get enough from Timberborn
>>
>>791741
Well, if you posted dawn of man then maybe you would like Ancient Cities.
>>
>>800370
>Ancient Cities
abandonware
>>
>>795281
I've been circling around it for some time. Is it difficult to learn? The screenshots trigger my Dorf Fortress PTSD.
>>
>>800427
I bounced off it one time, but on a subsequent try I got the hang of it.

Definitely easier that DF.
>>
>>793898
>I just love water autism,
i do too. I'm keeping an eye on that game for now.
You might really like Dwarf Fortress for water/magma autism.
>>
File: 1620838967107.png (196 KB, 781x719)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>800390
>>800370
what went wrong?
>>
Ostriv is pure soul and they can take as long as they want. I want to see realistic iron mining
>>
>>800640
looks cool
kinda reminds me of Foundation but without the vomit inducing artstyle
>>
>>800640
kinda like banished
>>
>>800795
They all look like Banished.
>>
File: image_original.jpg (43 KB, 570x400)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
islanders is a fun city builder puzzle game
>>
>>800604
I bought and played it recently.

The core water/dam mechanic is *really* good, and I had a lot of fun fiddling with that. But the city building aspects are a little thin right now. It needs a lot more content here to be good - for example, alcohol, clothes, housing tiers, furniture, trade to make it a 'proper' city builder.
>>
>>800795
It literally started as "Banished, but Ukrainian"
>>
>>798804
>t. never played any of the four Caesar games
Call me back once you try them, you dumb slut.
C3, which is probably the one you are familiar with, is just brain-dead game. Impression city builders are great - just not the "flagship" Caesar. Pharaoh and Emperor are easily the best and I'd rather play fucking Poseidon shitness than even bother with C3 again, not to mention the mess that C2 and 4 are (C1 meanwhile is just SimCity with bare-bones warfare)
>>
File: tired cheetah.png (646 KB, 797x648)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
>game anon recommends looks dope
>look it up
>"Early Access Game Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops. Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more
>>
>>800849
I still to this day think that Caesar IV looks really really good. It just doesn't offer a lot of options for being creative with your builds.
>>
File: 1625030483264.png (138 KB, 433x334)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>800894
welcome to city builders
>>
>>800994
>I still to this day think that Caesar IV looks really really good
I'd suggest visiting an optician, but there is a good chance you are already wearing glasses - and not just the rose-tinted ones.
>>
>>800894
>Newfag nigger reads an early disclaimer for the first time in his life
>He also wanted to buy the game
Get a load of this fuckwit
>>
>>800894
Yea anon once the game is officially 'released' it's incapable of having bugs. Check out Cyberpunk for how retarded the people are who still act like EA means a lack of quality
>>
>>800894
>2021
>There are still people who don't understand how EA works
>There are still people who get butthurt over the whole concept
If people are telling you the game is good, why are you throwing a bitch-fest over it being EA?
>>
>>801257
Because both kinds of EA suck
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (207 KB, 1280x720)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>801075
Just look at this soul.
>>
>>801646
Considering city builders from Impressions had some of the most intricate 2D graphics, this is the definition of soulless: a cheap, janky, half-baked mid-00s "we are modern now, we are in 3D, aren't you thrilled?" bullshit.
>>
>>801708
And to be more specific - Emperor had.
Any game after Emperor feels like a step down, no matter what they are trying to do (including all the shitty modern 2D games that just scream "cheapo" at you).
>>
File: 1634707451493.jpg (644 KB, 800x1139)
644 KB
644 KB JPG
can't be the only one that enjoyed this badboy
>>
>>801926
It's basically Caesar 4, if Caesar 4 wasn't shit and boring.
>>
>>801952
Man you are mad
>>
>>800427
Not at all. Definitely worth playing in the current state, and it has plenty of potential too. Balance in the latest revision is quite forgiving, I finished with a ~6k city without struggling.
>>
File: soviet republic.jpg (93 KB, 616x353)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
da tovarish
>>
>>803668
call me when everything is in a grid
>>
File: Subnautica compact base.jpg (956 KB, 1600x900)
956 KB
956 KB JPG
>>791741
Not exactly a strategy game but I had fun building this comfy base.
>>
I loved dawn of man, after 100 hours or so I think my time with it is finished. Might have to look at some mods
>>
File: nordland_screen17.jpg (310 KB, 1024x768)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
As far as settlement building goes, I swear by Cultures
>>
>>801926
Too bad about the lazy workers bug
>>
File: medieval farm.jpg (534 KB, 1172x1600)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
God I hope Manor Lords turns out good...
>>
File: cultures8thwonder.png (3.81 MB, 1920x1080)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB PNG
>>808080
Based and cultured anon, this series is such a hidden gem. I wish it had a more active community with a modding side to it.
>>
>>808080
The comfiest shit, I guess it could be tedious for a lot of people but the pace is easygoing. Unless you get into combat that is, which is janky as hell.
>>
>>809896
>A game by a well-known scam artist
>Ever actually made
>And good
The game, along with the dev studio, exists solely to qualify for a start-up benefits from both Polish unemployment bureau and EU funds. The guy behind it all pulled few such scams already while still a student.
>>
>>809995
Can you elaborate plz
>>
>>809999
Elaborate on what?
In Poland, there is an institution known as PUP - Powiatowy Urząd Pracy - which is your standard, "county"-tier institution to handle unemployment. One of their ways of doing so is providing funding for starting your own small business, up to a sum of 20 (and in rare cases 25) thousand złotych, as long as you provide a solid business plan and don't mind copious amount of paperwork. That's about 4500 euro, which is a lot of money in Poland - enough to rent an office for a year, furnish it and set up a bureau or something like that, or a very small workshop with specialised tools. Or, you know, a game-dev company, especially an indie one
In the same time, EU is offering gorillion of various funds for the sake of elevating the disparities between member countries and their own sub-regions. Poland is the biggest beneficiary of those, with entire social class of people that live off those funds, or prop otherwise completely unprofitable businesses with stream of outside cash a famous case of a furniture maker that for five years bounced off accounts with various funds, just to maintain the solvency and thus qualify for the general grant on being a "craftsmanship furniture maker"... and once that project was done, selling all the equipment, in mint, unpacked conditions, because the company never produced a single piece of furniture, existing only on paper
Slavic Magic is a company set up by a guy who spend his entire uni time siphoning variety of EU, university and local grants for variety of projects that existed only on paper, allowing him to live comfortably without working at anything at all, but always having new, fresh ideas for new, well-prospecting businesses. And since he "works" in IT, it's not that hard to present yourself as "well-prospecting". His game dev studio is just that - a shell company, which provided an idea of the game project and made a tech demo sufficient to qualify for handful of "start-up" grants
>>
>>809999
If you check the KRS registry (a nation-wide registry which includes all the companies and the basic data on it), the company was registered on his home address of over a year, despite officially taking money for office space in the same time - never to actually rent any. It only changed once he HAD TO rent an actual office - and used that for few other financial benefits in turn.
Agriculture and IT are the two sectors where the sky and your imagination is the limit when it comes to scamming for money support from governmental and EU bodies. Because you can literally do nothing, and still qualify for loads of money, as long as the papers check out. And any sort of control or inspection is near-impossible, because you can't prove that an IT company or a homestead aren't actually producing the related "goods".
>>
>>810025
>Slavic Magic is a company set up by a guy who spend his entire uni time siphoning variety of EU, university and local grants for variety of projects that existed only on paper, allowing him to live comfortably without working at anything at all
based NEET, too bad the game might just be a meme
>>
>>810035
If you want to have a finished game, try Medieval Dynasty. It's completely different thing gameplay-wise, but it's still a village builder that very quickly goes into comfy territory. And it's an actual game that's being continuously developed, rather than a meme-tier scam.
>>
>>805268
Go play anno, mormon faggot
>>
>>809927
It's such a bother, too. Some of the maps have wolves hidden away in the far corners so unless you scout them all thoroughly with some soldiers, you'll end up losing a scout or woodcutter to them eventually.
>>
>>801709
Is Emperor the absolute best game in the series ? I've picked it up recently and adore how aesthetics are an actually important statistic you gotta keep an eye on, and all the added QoL stuff makes it much more fun and relaxed compared to something like Pharaoh
>>
File: monke gets the news.png (851 KB, 667x936)
851 KB
851 KB PNG
>>809995
>>810025
well that is sad
next thing you'll be telling me all those ancient egypt and ancient mesopotamia city building games are scams too
>>
>>810262
In the general ratings - sure.
Pharaoh still wins in the "construct complex and fuck-huge monuments" department, but overally, Emperor is the right balance and amount of everything that makes Impression city builders great, with least of the obtuse shit nor brain-dead difficulty (looking at you, Zeus)
>>
>>810659
Nebuchadnezzar is a game by just two guys, so this is inverse - it's a small project by two people enjoying Impressions Games games and wanted to create something similar in their spare time. For whatever reason the game ended up having urealistic expectations on player side, which lead to lukewarm reception of something that was never intended to be a small game about building small city.
There is also that Aztec game, which is absolutely great, but it's even worse in this department, since it's a one guy project and it's going at snails pace.
>>
>>810242
Wolves in Cultures are the reason why I scout with a Hero if there is one or soldiers. Those fucks are super evil.

But you know what's even worse? Wolves in FUCKING CHESTS. Heck there was even a single scenario in 8th Wonder that was about eradicating the fuckers.
>>
>>796164
>Chad scandinavian hunter-gatherers keeping at it for longer than everyone else
>Chad basque for being so unique and mysterious and stcking around despite being smol
Based
>>
>>805495
Yeah, I wish there was a city builder spin-off of this. Could even do it first-person perhaps. Collecting resources to build dwellings so that NPC's can do the same.
>>
>>810045
>If you want to have a finished game, try Medieval Dynasty
wait I thought that was a multiplayer survival thing
>>
>>811156
It's a single player village builder. The whole "survival" aspect of it is like first hour or so. Your goal is to be a village mayor, starting from your own hut and then getting the whole thing going. The only downside is that it's really fucking small scale - 10 inhabitants is considered a big deal, rather than starting out.
>>
>>810675
>do the first few missions easily
>don't pay too much attention to Feng shui
>town functions great, plenty of food variety and jobs for everyone
>Feng Shui reaches "shame of ancestors" levels
>people stop working and start stabbing each other in the streets, whole town goes to shit within months
Lesson learned, the colour of the blueprint is much more than a suggestion
>>
>>811680
It all depends on how much you insist on ignoring it. Rule of a thumb is that every 10th building can be mismatched, and if you keep the rating lower than that, even better.
Doing a 100% harmonious cities is a daunting task and not even always possible.
>>
>>811156
It's a mix of everything. Think of it as if Banished and Minecraft had a child, and the aim was comfy in a world of shit (the setting is the classic Polish grim-derp fantasy, the actual game and gameplay is super-lighthearted and idealistic). Even if it won't click for you, worth trying for the unique blend of everything. Also, it really feels good when your village eventually turns into fully functional community, rather than random hodge-podge of bare basic buildings.
>>
>>815627
Oh, and for added bonus, since this is a game by dirty poor Poles, it runs on a decade old hardware and on XP, while looking like it does. No, really.
>>
>>811680
>>Feng Shui reaches "shame of ancestors" levels
>>people stop working and start stabbing each other in the streets
shit, so that is what happened in the US in the last few years
>>
>>813443
Ever since I started paying attention it hasn't caused me any issues anymore, I just place the occasional low Feng Shui building if I absolutely need to place something like a maintenance tower somewhere
Honestly the only thing giving me trouble so far has been the behaviour of nearby cities refusing to trade even after sending them 20+ shipments of goods they desire, which is a bit irritating because it's obvious they're not actually trying to play their own game and just wanna screw over the player, but the rest of the game is fantastic

>>815762
Yea kek it was kinda funny how the engineer would pass by their house to perform routine maintenance and they'd just chase him down the road and stab him for no fucking reason
>>
>>815770
>Yea kek it was kinda funny how the engineer would pass by their house to perform routine maintenance and they'd just chase him down the road and stab him for no fucking reason
happens all the time in the states now
>>
>>815770
>Honestly the only thing giving me trouble so far has been the behaviour of nearby cities refusing to trade
A quick question:
When do you send your requests?
A common mistake people make is sending envoy with gift and not waiting for the envoy return. All sort of script fuckery cause that your envoy with request travels faster than envoys with gifts (this is a bug, rather than a feature), and whole lot of people get screwed over, since they end up in a loop of
>Send gifts
>Send request
>Request arrives first
>Is refused, further tanking ratings
>Gifts reach destination, increase ratings, but not enough to succeed with request
>Player send new gifts and envoys
>Death spiral begins
>Now requests will keep tanking the reputation, while gifts will be less and less valuable, while also being unable to achieve their goal
>>
>>791741
i will mention Cliff Empire, it's almost never discussed but extremely comfy. the dev abandoned it and it doesn't have too much replayability, but it's very unique, definitely worth playing in my opinion
>>
>>815908
ah ye no I always wait for the notification that my gift has arrived before even sending the request, I think I just underestimate how much shit you gotta give to certain AIs before they agree to trade with you: it just didn't make much sense in my head how you could send over 12 shipments of ceramics to some dude that NEEDS ceramics and then they'd be like "yea nah I really don't wanna trade with you sorry mate"
This coupled with the fact that I ended up with a vassal once and he'd just spam my inbox with the "you're a bad guy, I don't wanna give you a tribute" EVERY SINGLE MONTH frustrated me a bit, but now it's smooth sailing
>>
>>815776
>tfw feng shui/harmony might be real
Well, shit.
>>
>>795253
You're actually insane if you don't go EA as an indie dev, especially with a genre like city builders which is harmed far less by it since adding elements piecemeal is easier. Since you'll get your product out there and start selling sooner, you need less capital to get started. Since EA is normally buggy, people are more accepting of initial flaws. Most importantly the regular drip-feed of updates keeps bringing players back, creating bursts of engagement for steam to boost your game and for your game to be talked about. This leads to the game growing and far more final sales, compared to a traditional launch where you basically just release your game out, it maybe gets a few sales, then dies.
>>
>>801646
>Hygiène Prévention
Of course the french would think that preventing hygiene would be a good thing.
>>
>>816631
>You're actually insane if you don't go EA as an indie dev
Nta, but not really.
>Since you'll get your product out there and start selling sooner, you need less capital to get started
This is how you never finish your game - because you already gained 80% of the money there was to gain during early-to-mid development. This is literally why endless early access is a thing - there is just no point finishing the game.
>updates keeps bringing players back,
Factually wrong, unless you keep a regular schelude and announce plan of your updates, then sticking to it, while the changes are sweeping and noticable, rather than incemential.
>creating bursts of engagement for steam to boost your game
Literally the exact reverse of what really happens
>This leads to the game growing and far more final sales
You are just clueless and at this point all that's left is laughing at you. Alternatively, you are deluded and ignored past DECADE of indie games and early access.

Because the game you've described is Project Zomboid. That's what you get for applying your "principles". And endless EA with no end in sight and no actual reason to deliver.
>>
>>816631
>>816933
In fact, I can't think of a single strategy game that was DELIVERED to finished state using EA and only a handful of games in general that went for EA model and didn't end up in endless EA - and in all cases they were done by professionals who simply needed cash right here, right now, but knew what they were doing. Your typical indie game in EA is something that's no longer in development after 6 months on average (and the money milked in first 3), or an endless project that goes nowhere. It's a fucking "industry" standard for quite a while. And it takes a genuinely clueless newfag that stayed the fuck away from the whole business for past few years to still be this fucking clueless and naive.
>>
>>791741
My enormous boner for early human history kept me playing this game for way longer than it would normally. It's fun but you start to run out of fun things to do rather quickly and I find the game to be rather easy even on the hardest difficulty. Still tho, fun game, but content updates are sparse.
>>
>>816933
>Factually wrong
Please look at the steam player charts for literally any early access game.
>Literally the exact reverse of what really happens
>Alternatively, you are deluded and ignored past DECADE of indie games and early access.
Surely, you have actual statistics to back this up, right? All those successful, non-EA city builders from the past half decade really stack up. And yes, half-decade. Shit from 2015 and earlier does not count, the market has transformed since then completely. I get that you don't realize this, because you're blind to the actual realities of game development, but it's a simple fact any anybody that's even vaguely worked on indie games during both periods can tell you that, as can objective statistics like the number of games released.
>>816940
>everyone that doesn't agree with my sweeping generalizations is clueless, you HAVE to agree with me and ignore facts because I feel that way
>>
File: Screenshot (7).png (128 KB, 587x251)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>815908
The part where they killed their own traders while invading my city was a 200 IQ play, truly
>>
>>816940
>I can't think of a single strategy game that was DELIVERED to finished state using EA
It's opposite for me, every EA game I got was finished sooner or later, stop buying into obvious scams like manor lord and maybe you won't have to generalize so much.
>>
>>817125
>stop buying
lmao

Nobody sane buys games, not to mention early access ones
>>
>>798161
>there isn't really any replay value
The developer is infamous for abandoning games halfway through. He abandoned the mars colony sim halfway through too.
>>
File: mfw grudge.jpg (358 KB, 1116x800)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
any of the Dwarf base builders good? I was searching there seem to be quite a few of them, but they mostly look like reskins of other games
>King Under The Mountain
>Hammerting
>Beneath the Mountain
>StoneDeep
>Hammerhelm
>DwarfCorp
have you anons played any of these?
one looks exactly like "Rimworld... but Dwarves!" and another like "Dungeon Keeper... but Dwarves!", so it is not promising
>>
>>817164
>No true Scotsman
>>
>>793927
ONI looks and starts like a DF/RimWorld colony builder, but past the first few weeks it's really more like Factorio, but less repetitive/spammy.
I recommend it to anyone.
>>
I tried to play simcity societies again. Ended up uninstalling which accidentally deleted my games folder. Fucking hell
>>
>>801257
because early access implies that it can be even better. so why would i beta test some shitstain of a game when i can wait out for the whole product?
>>
>>810990
>Wolves in FUCKING CHESTS
i hated that shit so much and that one campaign mission which is pure combat
>>
>>819821
>t. utterly clueless
>>
>>819693
>If you aren't stupid enough to buy games, you are using no true scotsman eristics
Consider suicide due to your vanton stupidity
>>
Anno is super comfy, so long as you consider it purely as a city builder and not the economic strategy game that it pretends to be. If you want a conquest/diplomacy/economic victory then you'll get bored fast. If you want to min max the game as you play, you'll realize there's a money cap you hit fairly quickly and get bored fast.

Taking the time to actually make organic looking cities that are still actually functional with all public services and needs supplied is just the right mix to be comfy, aesthetic but still functional. >>777580
>>
>>819260

>rimworld but with dwarves

Like Dwarf Fortress?
>>
File: Dwarf Fortress.jpg (138 KB, 779x634)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>820439
>Like Dwarf Fortress
nowhere near that level of autism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-uDEt-iyRk
it really just looks like rimworld with dwarves
>>
What do you guys think about Cultures Northland and 8th Wonder of the World?
>>
File: aven colony.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080)
573 KB
573 KB JPG
Has anyone played this Aven Colony game? It's free on the >epic games store so I'll be giving it a try later, just curious to know any anon's thoughts on it.
>>
File: Builders of Egypt.jpg (307 KB, 1921x1183)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
I'm one to be hopeful after playing the demo.
>>
>>821519
It's the missing 2/7 from the 5/7. Don't bother

>>822024
>He thinks this game will be ever finished
Hahahahahaha... Oh wait, you actually mean it
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: Builders of Scam.png (3.05 MB, 952x1737)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB PNG
>>822024
listen anon, I really want a good historical city builder
but there's no fucking way this "Builders of" thing isn't a scam for desperate Impressionfags
three games, all specifically targetting the same subjects as the old Impression games, popping out of nowhere at the same time isn't normal
there's definitely something fishy going on here
>>
>>820576
I like the series in general, although I've never played the 8th Wonder. It seems like more of the same from Cultures 2.
Still, the game is really comfy if sometimes autistic as fuck.
>>
>>822390
>It's the missing 2/7 from the 5/7. Don't bother
What?
>>
>>822467
It's fucking confusing. Strategy Labs develops all of them, but BoG and BoC are also made by BLUM Entertainment and Live Motion Games respectively. PlayWay publishes BoE and BoC, while CreativeForge publishes BoE and BoG. I understand the concept of outsourcing the work or even having three different studios to essentially make the same game with different theme, but this is just silly.
>>
Im wanting
>Medieval or renaissance setting
>External and internal threats
>3d if possible
>A mix of comfy and challege
>>
>>791790
Absolutely not comfy
>>
>>823786
Anno 1404
>>
Can't find any good new builder, I am tired of playing the old games.
help me
>>
>>824225
look harder
>>
>>824309
I asked here to not look myself
>>
>>805495
If I could just get the new base modules from Below Zero into the base game I'd be set for life.
>>
>>824166
Ive tried it, im not sure why but couldnt really get into it
>>
>>824490
What about it put you off? Because it's about as comfy as you'll get, best to look for challenge otherwise.
>>
>>822785
>Not knowing the 5/7 meme
How new are you?
>>
>>823786
If you don't really need 3D, then Imperialism 2 is your game.
>>
>>823786
The Guild 2?
>>
>>796164
>tfw I am from the earliest Neolithic farmer area in Greece (not Crete). I look half serb half Egyptian tho
>>
I want a good sci-fi city builder... I beg of you...
>>
>>824584
Been here 10 years. If I knew what that was at some point I've got no idea now.
>>
>>816702
>Hygiène et Prévention
you forgot a keyword. "et" means "and".
>>
>>825808
Nta, but google "5/7", you dumb cunt
>>
>>800640
>malorussian banished
Seems alright at the very least, I felt that Banished could have used a bit more structured progression.
>>
>>819706
Happened to me once with Civilization 5, always install games under at least 2 folders
>>
>>808023
How did you spend that long with it? Every playthrough is that same and a playthrough is less than 10 hours
>>
>>826300
The only bad thing about Ostriv is the glacial pace of development. But hey, there IS development for it, rather than just nothing, so if you have another 2-5 years to wait, the game will be finally ready. Plus it's fully playable and enjoyable for past 2 years at least, when it stopped having memory hemorrhages (couldn't even name that shit leaks. that's how huge the problem was).
>>
>>793680
>starving simulator
Just go gathering hut first, it's that easy.
>>
>>795235
Not him but I've started playing with it. It feels heavily inspired by banished, but with a lot more complexity to it. There's a drought cycle in the game, with droughts getting progressively longer. So a big part of the game is drought-proofing your town, which involves what are basically engineering projects to control water levels and create reservoirs to irrigate your land and provide drinking water, without flooding your town. You also rely on water for reliable power for things like mills (lumber, grist, paper) which are needed for more sophisticated buildings and amenities for your beavers.

Another way the game deviates from Banished is it actually has cosmetic additions you can add to your town (benches, statues, shrubbery, decorative roofs, etc). These additions are fairly inexpensive so the player isn't really restricted in adding them. The game also has a lot of verticality to it, with the ability to build multi-story complexes with walkways and stairs in a variety of configurations, which was a lot of fun for me to play with, designing cool multi-level housing complexes with bridges and walkways spanning the main streets through town, nestling recreation areas in groves of trees, etc. I played on normal difficulty though, so the survival challenge demanded a significant part of my attention, but I imagine on easy the game would be a pretty relaxing and you could focus mostly on designing a comfy, aesthetic town.

As for where the game currently falls short: as mentioned the happiness / satisfaction system doesn't seem to have much point to it yet, it's just a number to increase for its own sake. Production chains are currently pretty short and simple so economy is mostly about expanding new districts, very like Banished in that respect, and like Banished the result is a very wide, but shallow, town where you essentially set up the same small economy in different districts. It's really the drought cycle that keeps it interesting for now.
>>
File: 1636411615066.jpg (28 KB, 460x215)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Thoughts on this? Looks good but I usually stay way from early access games.
>>
>>826574
I only spent 30 hours on the game, but for me, it's not a game I want to beat, I just like to chill out in-game. I pick a comfy little spot to settle that is nowhere near optimal, but each of my 3 different settlements have something that makes them unique in terms of geography. Gameplay-wise, it's the same mechanics, buildings, tech every time, but I have my own autistic head canon that makes every village have it's own soul. I also don't give a shit if villagers die, micromanaging them goes against my philosophy of just relaxing, so some of them may die due to a tiger attack and sometimes half of them die from starvation on an errand to do god knows what even though there is enough food (let's face it, the AI is pretty retarded). Population only trickles back slowly because I don't stack cheap prestige buildings, I only build what "makes sense" for the village. It's just peak comfy for this kind of play style, banished never achieved the same feeling for me, Anno gets tedious as soon as you need to trade goods between islands and I don't play EA games on principle, so I can't comment on the several other clones that have sprung up.
>>
>>827437
It doesn't even look good and it plays like shit.
>>
>>827437
It's pretty bare bones and I really don't care for that art style.
>>
>>791741
I like Imperium Civitas saga. You can make nice Roman cities and trade, and if you get a bit bored you can play on a map with barbarian tribes to fight a bit, although it is very simple combat.
>>
>>827443
Sounds pretty comfy. I'll try it if it gets really cheap.
>>
>>827678
Don't.
Just pirate the game straight, for it really is one of those "play once and never again" games, even for the comfy feel.
>>
>>827437
i played a shitton of cartoony strategy games but this one is straight up looks bad, also gameplay is too barebones to be enjoyable
>>
>>820541
not the anon you're responding to but Dwarf Fortress is the absolute most comfy base builder possible.
the complexity and "autism" is really overreported and exaggerated. at it's core, DF is a fairly easy game but with endless possibilities and a delightfully wide possibility for absolutely pointless but fun routes to take in building your fort. these infinite possibilities for pointless tasks clutters your menu and overwhelms new players, but your fort can really survive and thrive if you only have decent halls, a ready supply of plump helmet spawn for brewing and a means to make food via fishing, farming or hunting. when faced with outside threats you can basically just wall yourself off. when faced with overpopulation due to immigration, you can also just wall yourself off (or just massacre them)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide this page should be more than enough to get you started on the fun.
also, the steam version for DF that might come out next year will have a much better UI, even me as a ascii purist for like 6 years, I'm hyped as fuck for it
>>
>>827437
Not great imo, it's a tiny game and on gog so you can easily try it for yourself though.
>>
>>825443
Is the Guild 3 still extremely shit?
>>
>>791741
Has anyone tried Settlement Survival? I've heard of it referred to as a successor to Banished.
>>
>>828912
Looks comfy
>>
File: settlement-survival-demo.jpg (664 KB, 1920x1080)
664 KB
664 KB JPG
>>828913
Look at that waterwheel.
>>
>>828917
Look at that castle!
OK, I'll stop spamming and wait for comments from people who actually tried the game.
>>
>>828294
Let's put it in the most polite way imaginable:
It crashes more than it runs
>>
>>791890
I mean they are cavemen, it's not like there's an awful lot for them to do or ways they can develop without starting and agricultural revolution and changing into a new time period.
>>
File: file.png (546 KB, 2897x3730)
546 KB
546 KB PNG
>>828266
>"the complexity is overreported"
>open tutorial link
>pic is the first thing you see
you sure about that son?
>>
>>832602
Do a simple flowchart filters you?
>>
>>832602
>Dig into a soil layer to make some gardens and get planting all four crop seeds
Congrats you're now effectively self sufficient for food, drink and clothing
>Dig some channels, one to bring in fresh water, another to seal off the entrance to the base and build a drawbridge
Congrats you're now effectively protected against almost everything that will attack you unless you've started in some utter hellscape.

You're now in a position to go at whatever pace you want to.
>>
>>820541
dwarf fortress really is not that complicated. Also seeing as most these types of games are inspired by dwarf fortress learning how to play dwarf fotress is truly the apex
>>
> df is easy
> just wall yourself
Armok is disappointed with you. Why are you even playing? To eat plump helmets and drink plump helmets juice? Entrance to your fortress should be huge, decorated with statues and engravings, so the whole army column could march into it. The moment you walled yourself, made entrance to you impossible, you are not longer a dwarf, you are a creature more miserable than a mud worm.
>>
>>833779
Because to get anywhere near that part, you kinda have to learn the byzantine way of managing troops and equipment, how the medical system works and that's a good 6 hours at least just to get to the point where you aren't spending most of your time reading wiki pages.

Starting DF is easy, getting to the fun stuff is hard, if newbies are overwhelmed from the beginning, they never reach the fun stuff.
>>
File: unknown.png (2.03 MB, 1366x768)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
>>791766
played this game because of this post, man i really love this game, but its still feels very WIP in some aspects, but other than that i loved it, i love the gridless system that allowed me to build more natural looking town/villages, now on my 24th year with around 160 pop, i dont play it very much right now because of thesis tho

earlier screenshot from a week before
>>
>>827357
Comfy.
>>
>>833779
>Just shoot yourself in the leg and deliberately play like a total fucking retard, so the game can be SUPERBRUTALTURBO difficult!
... and then you faggots wonder why you are a laughing stock
>>
File: Burd Approves.jpg (133 KB, 830x515)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>833898
Glad you enjoyed it
>>
>>828912
That's a terrible name but it looks very promising.
>>
>>810025
Why the fuck would you build that much of the game for a supposed scam?
>>
>>791790
This game would be absolutely perfect if it was just a 2d grid where each building occupies blocks of space, it would be a 10/10, but building anything is so tedious right now, always have to fiddle around until it fits.
>>
Why theres so many early access city building games? Is that easy to build one now? How do I even start?
>>
>>828912
>referred to as a successor to Banished
Such many cases

>>828921
Does it have modular building like that other game?
It looks good despite that shit grid to the right, but what core gameplay is like?
>>
>>833898
bro? Your windows?
>>
>No mention of Tropico
I have so much fucking fun playing Tropico 4 and just vibing to the music that I don't know where to start.
>>
>>793898
Timberborn has water autism?

Welp, up my wishlist it goes
>>
>>795281
Tried the demo, really enticing, but I kinda hit the hurdle of "How the fuck do I move the not-dwarves that die if the sun winks at them and the blue giants into appropriate housing?"
>>
>>836600
How are the newer Tropico games?
>>
>>795281
It's pretty cool, though the UI is kind of a mess and it seems way too easy
I like how you can easily scale super large. However, I often felt like I lacked the tools to really get a grasp of what's going on via the UI. Trading/Taxing seems too good, I dislike how you can essentially do away with industries by hyperfocusing on specific ones and importing the difference. Maybe there should be a sort of demand system where your gainz go down if you flood the market too hard. All in all quite nice, lots of potential still
>>
>>836926
It's the classic tale of "let's make bunch of good games and then being contractually obligated to keep making games, even if we reached perfect game already".
In short - don't bother with anything that's after 4
>>
>>836926
>>837024
I've heard bad things about 5 and good things about 6
>>
>>828912
>a successor to Banished.
It and like 6 other games. Banished is quickly becoming the Roman Empire of medieval city builders in everybody wants to carry its legacy.
>>
>>837392
The "good" things about 6 boil down to "it's not as bad as 5"
It's still inferior and pointless game when compared with 3-4 and brings a fuckload of terrible mechanics from 5 anyway.

>>837404
So far all my bets are on Ostriv, since it's the closest thing, while also being its own thing. And most importantly, it works.
>>
File: file.png (1.85 MB, 1024x768)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB PNG
>>836600
I have such strong nostalgia for original isometric look I never even thought of playing 3D installments.
>>
>>837553
4 is absolutely worth your time, it's writing is truly spectacular.
>>
File: file.png (179 KB, 734x266)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>837562
hm, funny thing is I have it and actually seem have played it way back 9 years ago and forgot about it.
now I feel old.
Well, I guess it'll be good idea to revisit during long winter nights.
>>
>>833727
this
you can take your time learning the other stuff, if you die you die oh well just reroll and dig a new hole
>>
>>837540
Like?
>>
>>832602
This is like that old guide for wargame:rd that was 100 pages long.
Just pseud redditors trying to make themselves feel smart for playing a video game.
>>
>>837638
... like what? Your question is so ambiguous, I don't even know which part of my post you are asking about.
>>
>>837726
terrible mechanics.
>>
>>837562
Is #4 also the best one in terms of gameplay?
>>
File: all smiles.png (832 KB, 1240x1118)
832 KB
832 KB PNG
>Factory Town full release out this week
>Hammerting full release out this week
I'm gonna try factory town first
good times soon :)
>>
>>792824
It literally is how you spell "island" if you are using Latin alphabet for Ukrainian language
>>
>>837728
>1UPT and hexes
>useless trade
>meaningless "government" options
>>
>>838598
Like the original anon said, Ostriv makes Russians seethe endlessly, because the dev told them to fuck off and that he's not going to make Russian localisation, so they can take their claim that "Ukrainian is just Russian dialect" and shove it. Cue seething going over 9000
>>
>>838581
How is Hammerting? 2D view's got me interested
>>
>>791783
FactoryTown recently had it's 1.0 release and is half off. I bought it but quickly ran into a number of instances where the villager pathing gets messed up and suddenly they stop doing their jobs and just huddle around a building. I've tried just about everything it needs to shake them out of it, but they're stuck holding a resource then you really can't have them do anything else.

Game seems comfy but needs a little more time in the oven.
>>
>>843738
If 2 villagers bump into eachother and they can't find another path, they will forget their order and sit there

Make your paths wider and give your villager more routes and space for them to move around
>>
>>800640
VGH…
>>
File deleted.
Reccs for someone new to the RTS and base building genre?
AoE2 did not click with me
>>
When will we get a mix of Banished, CK2 and The Guild ?
>>
>>844876
You WILL never get the ideal dynasty builder.
>>
>>845260
Why live ?
>>
File: comfy.jpg (85 KB, 786x439)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
I just got Banished for like $6.50 on Steam, what am I in for? Just looking to chill a bit. I've never played these games before, so how do you "win"?
>>
>>849485
You won't win on your first or second try, just know that. I'd say, just have fun figuring the game out, it's incredibly comfy. There's no win condition either so I'd say you win when you're stable enough that there's no chance you ever die off.
>>
>>848542
Agree. Goodbye, cruel world - off to the recycling tanks and become one with the whole people.
>>
>>838669
I'm a couple hours in and so far it's piss easy, the obscene amount of money you make selling granite pillars means I've never had money problems all game plus dorfs are tough bastards and no one has died the entire game despite constant attacks
I'll tel you more as the game progresses
>>
pic related is kinda of decent, pretty good for at least 1 playthrough
not too hard or too creative, but very polished, makes me think of a merge between frostpunk and surviving mars
>>
>>850694
its called surviving the aftermath btw
>>
>>850694
>>850696
>Paradox
can't wait for the mutant faces DLC for only 9,99€
>>
File: file.png (3.62 MB, 1920x1080)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB PNG
>>850694
>>850696
Looks like an Endzone ripoff.
>>
>>850694
>pic related is kinda of decent,
It's fucking horrible and going at snail's pace, too.

>>851823
Ironically, Endzone is a rip-off here, but that comes from the fact how ungodly slow is the development of the PDX clusterfuck. Slow and clueless, since that's the biggest issue they are having. Endzone got their shit together from the start and people behind it knew exactly what they wanted to do, rather than stumbling around in the darkness doing one random idea at a time.
>>
I redownloaded Tropico 4 a while ago for some dictatorial comfiness but now you there's a fucking third-party launch and you have to create and account.
Uninstalled.
>>
>>851990
>It's fucking horrible and going at snail's pace, too.
its already finished you dimwit, whats so bad about it anyway?
>>
>>851823
>>850696
>>850694

what grinds my gears about games like these is that romans and medieval peasants were able to build presentable houses but in these games post apocalypse survivors choose to live in shacks like it's Tembisa every time.

even when eyeties were plundering older roman buildings, they still built in a similar way and built nice looking dwellings. did the nuclear war kill everyone's sense of aesthetics and their ability to build out of more than corrugated fucking iron? even the blacks in the townships build houses out of breezeblocks and bricks with discrete rooms and corrugated iron roofs as soon as they can afford to.
>>
>>852522
>It's already finished
Oh wow, it only took two years of EA and it's out for a week, guess I should celebrate or something... as if there was a reason to
>whats so bad
You would have to follow the development of it to truly grasp how clueless it is and how much depended on random whims of the devs and equally random suggestions from the playerbase (since it was never about actually listening to feedback people were giving).
Play Endzone if you want an actual game with anything even resembling idea what it even wants to be about. Play StA if you want to play proof of a concept game.
Both are shit in the long run, for different reasons
>>
>>852531
I know it's only semi-related, but I find it hilarious how one of the first big mods to FO4 was one that allowed you to build normal structures. Not kit-bashed shit out of scraps and random bits, but actual walls and roofs.
>>
>>852531
>romans and medieval peasants were able to build presentable houses
Romans and medieval people had access to functional industries, or at the very least the knowledge on how to build a house was transmitted generations after generation
I'm not sure a lot of people would be able to do it today after a nuclear apocalypse.
Also Endzone released an expansion pack about the post-post apocalypse, with concrete and actual building materials making a comeback.
>>
>>852946
>Oh wow, it only took two years of EA and it's out for a week
its like you're retarded for distorting the meaning of EA or just being a prick altogether
>You would have to follow the development of it to truly grasp
So what is bad is in the past in now, oh wow...
to be fair, I did remember seeing a very early half baked version of this, and then completely went under and never heard about it again since recently
but that's exactly what EARLY ACCESS is about, judging a game in on going development is just retarded, and you just yourself to blame for expecting something else
>>
>>844876
>>845260
>>848542
>>849995
What about this game? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1129580/Medieval_Dynasty/

See more:
>>810045
>>811170
>>815627
>>
>>853381
Is there a lot of grinding involved in this? I hate when games waste my time
>>
>>795281
gib tips
>>
>>853381
I don't know. I've never felt the comfy vibes on this game. It also lacks so much depth, and cannot satisfy my micromanagement autism like Banished (with CC) can.

I've been thinking for a while about gamedev. That's what I want. A deeper Banished, that kepted the soul.
>>
>>853696
You and the trillion other copycats. Please don't go into gamedev if all you want is to shit out yet another Banished clone that'll never leave early access.
>>
>>853696
>deeper Banished, that kepted the soul.
It's written 'kepteth".
t. autist
>>
>>853638
yes
>>
>>853638
Not really.
Once you figure out the systems in it, what initially appears to be grind turns out being you just playing the game wrong.
To elaborate: at first it looks like improving your gathering skill is nigh impossible, while you need thousands of related XP and it seems to be going on snails pace. But then you start felling down trees for an actual village and you get 2-3 levels per day of that skill. Or how farming seems to be this daunting task where you will never get enough XP to even learn how to dig wells... until you make a 5x10 field (which is small by games standard) and once you are done with it, you are 3 levels up.

tl;dr the levels are pretty easy to gain, as long as play your game organically and building a village, rather than trying to do anything else. Game's fine and while I'd argue if it's a strategy at all (it's literally a Med village sim), it's solid play.
>>
>>853696
Just play Ostriv, instead of producing another pointless and soulless clone
Also
>medieval dynasty
>never felt the comfy vibes
You might have actual autism
>>
>>853825
I'm too much of an autist to do early access
>>853899
I'm not Englsih sorry
>>854458
It's the third person view I think
>>
>>800636
The devs don't know what they're doing and are in over their heads. Definitely do not buy because the chance of the game getting abandoned is high.
>>
>>852037
No you don't, I never had to login and was able to just launch the game.
>>
>>854472
>It's the third person view I think
The game is in first person, so thanks for making it clear you didn't even bother to check it out before bitching about it.
>>
>>854550
hm, maybe they removed it.
>>
>>800636
>at it's price
>at it is price
>>
>>854562
I'm not English sorry
>>
>>855819
You better be sorry
>>
>>855819
>>855924
>You better be sorry
Yeah, he better be.
>>
File: file.png (3.53 MB, 1920x1080)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB PNG
>>791766
Ditto. It's stupidly comfy
>>
>>856388
I despise that you can't manually build roads
>>
>>857190
Nah, that's fine.
What isn't is that walkers ALWAYS walk in the most straight path between objects. Eventually you have roads that make sense and bazillion of retarded paths that never, ever, under any circumstances, grew back. This is especially jarring of you are doing a slow build, so you end up with perma-trails across entire village from that, rather than an actual road
>>
>>851990
>Endzone got their shit together from the start and people behind it knew exactly what they wanted to do, rather than stumbling around in the darkness doing one random idea at a time.

Endzone is an absolute pile of shit game where the devs have no idea what they are doing because they are unironica Gretta worshipers. That entire game is fucking ass and their expansion is a classic case of "We aren't fixing any of the problems so we are just going to add a bunch of shit that is super OP or no longer requires the mechanic that we will never fix."
>>
>>857367
Nta, but is this some new /pol/ meme I'm not schizoid enough to get?
>>
>>857464
Nah. Devs are unironic green peace cucks. Just look at their suggestions and ideas sections on the steam forums. Players have been suggesting things like proper factories, power plants and a much better use of the polution mechanic but the devs literally told people to fuck off becuse it doesn't alline with their politics because that would require them to admit that solar panels in a nuclear holocaust doesn't make sense and that non-green energy is more efficiant in making power than a windmill. They also have direct links to Gretta's orginization on the forums as well and that half of the EA money was sent to some retarded green oginzation that said they would plant a tree for every game purchase which turned out to of course be complete bullshit.

Game was only in EA for a year before they went to 1.0 after saying that they were going to be in development a lot longer. Once they announced 1.0 they also announced the expansion as well. None of the issues people kept being up about the game where ever addressed and a lot of stuff have simply been left unchanged and abandoned such as with combat and raiders. Worse is that the expansion just adds a bunch of bullshit buildings that doesn't actually add or improve the game or the mechanics but instead just "delete" them out entierly, such as with power where instead of giving us actual power plants they just added a very easy to get upgrade to houses and a few low level buildings where they just produce their own.
>>
I like City Builders with a little bit of combat too, I can't help it, I wanna see cool units fighting each other. Anno series is the only city builder with fun combat imo
>>
>>857597
what do you think about stronghold 2?
>>
File: 1633708808085.jpg (2.43 MB, 1280x1024)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
SimCity 4
>>
>>857616
Man, I wish that game was easier to mod. It's from that awful era where you already had games capable of easily handling mods, but still structured in a way that makes it hard to pile mods, while not offering any sort of tools for it.
>>
File: The Settlers.jpg (104 KB, 750x422)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
thoughts on this series? does it have a decent combat system?
>>
>>857236
the grasses grew back if the road rarely walked on again, you could build free decoratios like fences (thats covered with hedges, if you like) to prevent walkers to create abstract lines, but it is quite tedious to do especially when your town start to grow bigger
>>
>>857616
This pic makes me rock hard.
>>
>>795272
I enjoyed it
>>
>>859438
>Settlers
>Combat
Making it combat heavy literally killed the series.
It's a logistical puzzle game about watching your settlers building things.
Play 1 to get confused by controls and bored by pace (this was even an issue when it came out)
Play 2-4 to see what's good about this series.
Play 5 to gouge your eyes out
Play 6-7 to feel like a mobile nigger
>>
>>862266
How does 6 have mobile gameplay?
>>
>>857770
managing SC4 mods made me want to puke back in the day, and I'm certain it's the same now
>>
>>862325
I ended up just using OldShoe's pack, because it had everything pre-compiled and tested to work together. If I had to combine almost 50 mods on myself, I would just play it vanilla.
Jesus Christ, SC4 is so close to being THE best game ever made, but since it came about 2-3 years too early, it has all the limitations of its era fighting hard against its greatness
>>
>>795272
they sell like half of game mechanics as dlc.
decide if you want to pay for all that to get "full" experience or not
>>
>>862380
Nta, but if you are buying PDX games, you deserve nothing but contempt.
Said that, both Surviving Mars and Aftermath aren't worth even pirating.
>>
>>862382
hey, my first and last Paradox game was Stellaris. well aside of EU1 way back in the day and I don't remember where I get it from.
I learned my lesson the hard way.
Base Surviving Mars was "free" for grabs on Steam on limited time, and man it is barebones, makes sense why they made this "demo" as a freebie.
>>
>>862259
>elevated pipes when you don't need them
i really hate that

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.