[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 12.jpg (299 KB, 1152x1122)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Professional cross-domain military simulator that you can get on steam for measly $80 - or torrent for free! Don't forget to renew your autism prescription though, you'll need it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (604 KB, 2480x1653)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
I've been meaning to make a scenario for quite some time. This is a considerable time sink, because I want to make something rooted in reality, and this requires doing research on top of fiddling with the editor.
Recent border tensions between Kosovo and Serbia offered an opportunity for an interesting what-if scenario. A dispute over legality of car plates escalated in a standoff with both civilians and military involved. My scenario will assume that the standoff escalated further in an armed conflict.
Kosovo war happened in 1998-1999, but the official declaration of independence happened mere 13 years ago. Kosovo is backed by NATO and has its own armed forces - Kosovo Security Force. Following the Ahtisaari Plan, KSF is not allowed to possess heavy weaponry, but this part of the treaty is enforced very loosely. During and after the war Kosovo hoarded and smuggled in various equipment, including MANPADs, infantry and heavy mortars, legacy ATGM. This stuff is very likely to be hidden in storages and used to arm government-controlled paramilitary groups that operate in the partially recognized republic.
Additionally, KSF have purchased light armoured vehicles from Turkey and received 55 M1117 Guardian vehicles for free from USA.
Serbia's military potential is significantly higher. It possesses a vast arsenal of heavy weaponry and an actual air force. But Serbia cannot just unleash it on Kosovo without suffering political consequences.
>>
File: 2.jpg (313 KB, 2000x890)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>790333
I'm not versed in the politics of Serbia and Kosovo, so I had to do some research. The current president of Kosovo is Vjosa Osmani. She was born in Yugoslavia and lived there during the Kosovo War. She graduated from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, USA. Overall, she strikes me as your typical Western protege governing the remnant of a successful colour revolution.
The current prime minister of Kosovo is Albin Kurti, ironically a lookalike of Zeljko Raznatovic. He is a radical who rose to power as a leader of student protests in Kosovo before the war. In 2018 he was sentenced to a prison term for setting off tear gas in the parliament. Quite a character.
North of Kosovo is populated mostly by Serbs and de facto adheres to Serbian laws and regulations. A separatist region in a separatist republic, I wonder what could go wrong here. This region was the scene of a similar conflict exactly ten years ago on a very similar basis. Both conflicts have been initiated by Kosovo. The ongoing conflict seems to be much less explosive than in 2011 (that one actually had casualties and almost resulted in a war). The most likely reason for the latest escalation is the upcoming elections in both Serbia and Kosovo - big shots are farming political points.
A brief escalation to a shooting war is very unlikely in reality, but it's still plausible. A limited fire exchange would be quickly shut down by NATO slapping the wrists of both parties. Serbia would lose the most regardless of its response to a provocation. Respond too little - piss off the Kosovo's Serbs and nationalists on your undisputed soil. Respond too hard - receive sanctions and potentially get forced to loosen the grip on the borders. A lot of parties in the current Kosovo administration would get a lot of points for such venture, they just need to find an unfortunate scapegoat to blame for the provocation.
>>
File: 3.jpg (101 KB, 750x500)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>790337
So here is the premise for my scenario. Kosovo's mobile groups armed with mortars sneak up to the border and shell Serbian border bases. Serbia's objective is to patrol the borders, intercept suspicious elements and, should they open fire, quickly shut them down.
I think it's an overall neat idea. It's going to be a rather simple scenario that utilizes the ground combat capabilities of CMO. We also get a chance to play with relatively rare and fun platforms.
It's ambitious for the first scenario, but I want to make both sides playable.
Kosovo's objective is to kill and destroy Serbian stuff. I won't penalize them too hard for their own losses.
Serbia's task is to avoid losses, identify and track suspicious contacts and be able to get rid of them. Serbia's side will be penalized for firing first.
Both sides will receive a heavy penalty for killing civilians.
>>
File: 4.png (1.95 MB, 1920x1080)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
>>790338
The first step is to add Serbian airbases. CMO has a database of prebuilt airports and airbases, so it takes a few clicks to add them on the map. However these airbases are fully modelled, and each of them is like a hundred objects. Since I don't expect Kosovo to attack these bases, I will replace them with single-unit airfields for optimization purposes. The main difference is that single-unit airfields can only be attacked with nukes.
>>
File: 5.png (1.01 MB, 1920x1080)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>790340
Next I need to fill the airbases with planes and helicopters. I can go a bit autistic here due to the abundance of public data.
flightglobal.com has a free PDF with accurate numbers for each aircraft type.
scramble.nl has a very thorough information for military aircraft and will be my primary source of info.
A recent addition to the Serbian air fleet is six Chinese CH-92A drones. This particular drone model has not been added to CMO yet, but judging from the photos and specifications it's very similar to an earlier model in the CASC Rainbow series - CH-3. So I'll add six of those for now.
I don't know what callsigns Serbian are using, so I'll just use the appropriate squadrons. The UAVs seem to belong to a recently reestablished 353rd Intelligence Surveillance squadron https://rusieurope.eu/commentary/chinese-drones-serbian-skies
>>
File: 6.png (2.44 MB, 1920x1080)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB PNG
>>790343
Now the fun part begins. I need to add some Serbian border bases. The location of military bases is rarely publicly available, so I have to make a step into OSINT territory.
The largest one - Cepotina - can be straight up found on Google, so this one is easy. It's kinda too large and important for a "limited provocation", but fuck it, let's roll with it.
Satellite maps in CMO have poor resolution if you zoom in, so I'll use google and yandex to get a better view.
>>
File: 7.png (1 MB, 1920x1080)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>790375
Here is how it looks like in CMO. I'll add some personnel here and there, but not too much. When provocations like this happen, the attacker usually "leaks" a warning that allows the adversary to mitigate losses by moving personnel somewhere safe.
>>
File: 8.png (2.31 MB, 1920x1080)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB PNG
>>790420
Another base I could find online is Trmka. It's a small outpost in the middle of nowhere. http://wikimapia.org/29887509/Military-object
The Rudnica base was mentioned in the news, but I couldn't find the exact coordinates this time. This object to the east of the village is the most likely candidate that I could spot.
>>
File: 9.png (3.53 MB, 1920x1080)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB PNG
>>790421
There is a new base in Kopaonik, fairly easy to spot - it's on the top right in the picture. I'm not sure if I want to add it to the list of targets. It's a mountain resort, there is way too many civilian objects around it. And it's really high up in the mountains. Doesn't seem like a plausible target to me, but then again, neither is Cepotina.
Kopaonik is a cool place to explore. There is another base to the south of the town, with a radome. The radome is empty, by the way. https://www.b92.net/eng/news/world.php?yyyy=2020&mm=11&dd=26&nav_id=109768 It's reasonably far away from the town, may be I should add this one.
>>
File: 10.png (3.8 MB, 1920x1080)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB PNG
>>790422
This one looks cool. This base is just 10 km away from Cepotina and 2.5 km away from a border checkpoint. Looks like an air defense installation. It's gonna be the last one I'll add.
>>
File: 11.png (3 MB, 1920x1080)
3 MB
3 MB PNG
>>790427
Almost done with the foundation. I need to add civilian traffic to make things more interesting for Serbia. After this I need to fill the magazines of airbases and figure out the armament for the attack groups. I'll call it a day for now.
>>
inconceivably based.
keep it up, anon.
>>
>>790326
Sim? I have yet to see it sim anything properly. The database is fantastic and the best thing you will ever get without having the DoD issue you clearance.
But its simming is kinda dogshit, in part because the AI is very weak and there is, at least when I last played, still no multiplayer option. So you just end up autisiming through a missions that could have been done by doing what is basically the same as StarCraft 1A as toss.

Making your own missions is arguably more fun, but now you are doing the job of the dev and paying for the privilege, at this point being a 4chan janni is more desirable, last I checked they don't pay for their jobbing yet.
>>
>>791327
Are you sure you've played Command? Because
>AI is very weak
there is no AI in this game. Not in the sense that it's really dumb - there is literally no AI period. Only individual units have AI, and you can (and often should) configure every aspect of it. Whatever your adversary is doing is preprogrammed by the scenario maker, so basically you're playing PBEM.
>no multiplayer option
There is a player-made PBEM utility. https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4948663 Works perfectly. Real-time MP is limited to the professional version.
>you are doing the job of the dev
The dev's job is to make the simulator. Making and sharing scenarios or just testing stuff out is how you play simulators.
>you just end up autisiming through a missions that could have been done by doing what is basically the same as StarCraft 1A as toss
I don't think you understand what this is. It's not an RTT game designed specifically to challenge the player with vanilla missions or campaigns. CMO is a simulator. It simulates how real life equipment and physics work. And it does it unlike anything else on the commercial market. You or other players use it as a foundation to build and test scenarios - historical or what-if ones. If you can beat a scenario just by ordering your units to attack the opponent's stuff, it means that it would be more or less the same in real life. There are scenarios where getting a high score is very difficult though and requires good technical knowledge, wits and a bit of luck.
Also most of the DLC campaigns and scenarios were made by players who actually got paid for it. The developers themselves were once merely players of the Command's predecessor - Harpoon. At some point they got fed up with the Harpoon's developer and made their own thing, which happened to be good enough to earn government contracts. The backbone of the CMO's community goes back a long way.
>>
Holy shit you guys are autistic as fuck
>>
File: 12.png (2.93 MB, 1920x1080)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB PNG
A small update for today.
I went ahead and added 17 civilian cars driving along the mountain roads. Since the roads are not actually modelled, the cars move awkwardly here and there, but nothing crazy.
I also added a fixed no-fly zone for Serbia above the Kosovo's populated area. The northern part where Serbs live is a fair play though.
Now I have to delve into some basic scripting.
>>
File: 13.png (1.61 MB, 1920x1080)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>791761
CMO lets you add LUA scripts to define all kinds of logic in your scenarios. You don't need it for very basic scenarios, but it's the only way to dynamically generate and manage units. And it's really useful for just creating stuff in bulk.
A recent addition to CMO is the ability to add weapons to units. You can do all kinds of crazy shit with it, like attaching Stingers to a Virginia submarine so you can resurface it (MANPADs won't fire when the sub is submerged, no cheating allowed) and dab on ASW helicopters Soviet style.
This is what I'll use to arm the Kosovo's attack groups. CMO doesn't have the fancy Turkish armored vehicles, so I'll stick with good old Humvees and sprinkle some M1117 ASV. I'm going to use twin Strela-2M for anti air and generic 81mm mortars for attacking the bases.
Pic related is the script that generates one of the two attack groups. It makes one or two Guardian ASV and a random amount of Humvees armed with mortars and MANPADs. The placement is randomized within an area.
>>
File: lua.png (270 KB, 1920x1080)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>791763
Some kind dude created a Command API library for a VSCode's lua intellisense extension. Writing scripts is really comfy now.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5069590
The Kosovo's side scripting is almost done. I generate two groups and assign random bases as targets. I've ran a few tests, and it works just fine. However, the mortars quickly run out of ammo, so realistically each group will only be able to attack a single base.
I'll leave it at that for now. The next step is to write a script that generates air patrol and strike missions for the Serbia side.
>>
File: 14.png (1.87 MB, 1920x1080)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
>>793398
Before that I need to deal with one very basic thing - the exact date and time of the scenario. This is important, because I will actually use the real life weather conditions that were present in the area.
Weather in CMO is not localized, so whatever you set is applied globally. It kinda sucks, but it's not really crucial unless you make a scenario that spans over a very large area.
I'll use the weather in Leposavić town south of Rudnica.
https://freemeteo.co.uk/weather/leposavic/history/daily-history/?gid=788731&date=2021-09-28&station=4441&language=english&country=Kosovo
To make things more fun and engaging for Serbia, I picked a day when it rained. It was not raining the whole day, so I made the weather dynamic with time-triggered events.
>>
Nigga I won't buy your game, but I will play it
>>
>>793672
Fair. I believe you can update a pirated version if you download the patches from matrix forums: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5087285
This is also where you can get the scenarios: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4720273
>>
>>793669
Based anon, very nice write up.
>>
I'm not interested in playing the game, but this writeup is pretty cool.
>>
>>791327
That's because it's not really a product per se, it's a planning and simulation tool, used by Generals and shit. Their primary audience is Defense departments, with a hacked down retail version for old boomers and young autists. Even Combat Mission made a version for the professional armies. Dunno what the differences are though, but 16 year old me absolutely dunked on those Syrians in Shock Force.
>>
>>795039
I was interested in playing the game until I saw the walls of text this autismo was typing just to bump the thread. Too bad OP didn't spend some of that time describing the game. Oh well, dead game dead thread.
Eat shit, retard OP. Next time make a thread that other people will want to read instead of just a pointless essay on nothing relevant.
>>
File: 15.png (2.88 MB, 1920x1080)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB PNG
I appreciate the cheeky bumps, bros.
Creating missions for the Serbian Air Force is similar to just playing the scenario.
I created two recon patrol missions for the UAVs and J-22s - one in the north, one in the south.
Hinds with ATGM missiles are patrolling a large gap on the east. They might be a bit too potent against the Humvees, so I don't want to put them nearby the bases. However, they will prevent the Kosovo player from cheesing by moving through this gap and around the main patrol routes.
Areas around the bases are patrolled by mostly unarmed helicopters.
Strike packages will be on station in shifts east of Leskovac town. They will investigate any contact in the prosecution area marked with red and attack targets identified as hostile. I enabled gun strafing so that players have an option of scoring an aircraft kill by baiting it on a vehicle and then ambushing with MANPADs.
Overall this is not the most efficient use of planes. Maneuvering at low altitudes is how you run out of fuel really fast. But I've got enough planes to last until the scenario ends.
>>
File: 16.png (1.91 MB, 1920x1080)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
>>797933
The entire area has a rather high elevation - 1700-3000 feet, with ridges reaching 5000 feet. Clouds are starting to form at 7000 feet, which doesn't leave much room for the recon aircraft to fly. On the other hand, even a moving vehicle can be difficult to spot in the dense vegetation, so you actually do want to fly lower. I ordered the recon aircraft to fly at 6500 feet above the sea level.
Regular helicopters don't have any special recon equipment and can't see shit unless they fly below 300 ft. You don't even need MANPADs to hit them at this altitude.
Pic related - Orao spotted an attacking group that moved out of a forest into the croplands. A lone civilian vehicle is driving along the road.
I ran a few tests and had to adjust the altitudes and patrol routes a little bit to cover the worst gaps. With patience and a bit of luck the attacker can overrun one or two bases and retreat with minimum losses - the trick is to stick to forests. For Serbia this mission is significantly easier. The Chinese UAVs have very good cameras, the player just needs to spot both groups, manually trail them with the drones and drop some payloads when the Humvees open fire.
I really like how civilian traffic messes up things for Serbia by adding clutter. Even Kosovo can suffer from it, mortar shells have a significant dispersion, which is made even worse due to the wind. So they can accidentally hit some cars driving past the Rudnica base, which is otherwise an easy target. I think I'll spend some time adding even more cars.
>>
>>795798
it's not even a game really
>>
File: combat.webm (2.85 MB, 1280x720)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB WEBM
>>798300
Correct, it's primarily a learning tool that you can have fun with.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2.08 MB, 1920x1080)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
Scenario is done. Took me a while to do the boring part of configuring the scoring system. I also added some fluff like checkpoint buildings, more civilian traffic, and of course briefings for both sides.
Still needs a bit of polish, but I'll deal with it after more playtesting.
>>
The new Red Tide campaign plus a free update is out.
https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv
>>
File: Untitled.png (835 KB, 1558x874)
835 KB
835 KB PNG
>>803331
fucking kek
>>
lol i like this game alot
>>
>>791327
making ur own scenarios is like 99% of the fun of the game
I don't even play other peeps scnaarios any more, i just like smashing taiwan
>>
>>790326
When is this going to come with proper multiplayer and/or a halfway decent AI. It is fun and all, but right now I am finding the game only as good as the scenario maker's effort.
Like the scenario anon is describing in this thread, kino, good research etc. sound fun, bringing forward the best of the game. But that is hardly the "default" mode of the game. Which brings up the next problem; challenge. It is very fucking hard to make a mission or scenario challenging and fun when you are the one making it, without having to spend more time on making it than playing it. I mean,in other games that is what you usually pay devs to do.

Feels like I am dicking about in an engine rather than playing a game most of the time, which yaknow, is kinda fun, but also kinda steep @8wageslavehours.
>>
Seems fun but a bit too complex, any anons got an webm showing it off? i think i might be interested
>>
>>808491
Imagine google maps satellite overlay, with symbols moving around on them while you spend most of your time studying literal unironic spreadhsheets, and not the fancy colorful PDXI ones, but just the oldskool black and white accountancy ones.
It is fun if you like military hardware and are playing yourself. You will likely have more fun watching paint dry than WATCHING someone play the game.
>>
i know everything about this game literally everything

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.