[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 110 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: COMPANY_OF_CHADS_2.png (462 KB, 462x652)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
>Why yes, I'm thinking COH 2 is the best RTS game ever made, with the best RTS combat, balance, physics, atmosphere, audio design and voice lines, graphics, GUI, campaign and deep core gameplay.
>In fact I would be making as far to say it is probably the greatest strategy game of all time.
How could you tell?
>>
>>776812
the balance fucking sucks bro
>>
>>776812
it's OK, but the balance is atrocious at times and finding a decent team mate in this game is like trying to pull a long string of toothpicks out of your ass through your mouth without breaking the string
>>
>>776812
Your blatant brain damage
>>
>>776812
>WW2 game
>Can't even get WW2 right
Honestly it's more of a abstraction or parody of WW2 than anything else.
>>
Cohschizo I kneel. This is now the only CoH2 thread on the board.
>>
File: Sturmpioneers.jpg (181 KB, 500x500)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>776819
>>777369
L2p issue
>>777375
>muh akhsually
Nobody cares
>>
>>776812
Was shit.
>camera is shit.
>explosions are shit.
>impacts are shit.
>unites cap is shit.
>unites are shit.
>everything is shit.
Shit shit shit !
Being under a artillery barrage in CoH was so fucking intense. In CoH2 it's, muh, at best.
>>
File: 1628775743909.jpg (228 KB, 772x525)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>777926
the absolute state of coh1fags
>>
File: Osttruppen.jpg (267 KB, 800x1132)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>We will try capturing it for you, anon...
>>
>>777926
It's like they surgically removed all the soul from the game to make CoH 2. Even the sound design is inferior. You can definitely tell all the talented guys already left relic at that point.
>>
>>777950
>>777907
I know the fag who makes these on Steam and I hope he suffers a painful and long death
>>
File: 1629046976185.jpg (99 KB, 715x715)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>777926
>Hey look mom I said X is shit without explaining myself, are you proud of me yet
>>
File: cute shocks.jpg (267 KB, 800x1131)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>777985
But they are cute
>>
>>777375
I love the Commando comic style setting. Not everything needs to be austistically accurate.
>>
>>777950
unnerf osttruppen now relic
>>
Got it for free on steam ages ago but never got around to playing it.
>>
>>777926
Just don't mention CoH1, then CoH2 would be the best.
>>
>>777930
Pretty much.
I tried CoH2 again last week but stopped after 30 hours because it's still shit. Even when you lift the unit cap, you dont have that much fun.
>>777989
>camera is shit.
>explosions are shit.
>impacts are shit.
>unites cap is shit.
>unites are shit.
What did you missed ?
>>
>>778756
True, but the game carries itself as if it was this grim, brutal depiction of the Eastern Front when it simply isn't.
>>
I CANT TAKE THESE CHINKS SHITTING UP THE GAME ANYMORE
>>
>>776812
The drooling was definitely a hint.
>>
>>776819
git gud, blobber
>>
File: file.png (560 KB, 640x381)
560 KB
560 KB PNG
I miss these bastards like you wouldn't believe...
>>
File: Tanks.png (3 KB, 512x410)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>776812

>physics
>>
>>777985
Why?
>>
It's one of a kind RTS for sure. Can't say I could ever make a decision on what is the best RTS out there. Starcraft is nice but the micro is so intense it feels like a chore to play. C&C is fun as hell but it has so many cheese and instant turn around opportunities the matches are way too hectic. Coh2 has it's own bag of worms, but it's got a pacing I feel is more easily enjoyed. Balance is relative to each noob, but the people in charge of balancing it definitely don't listen to the community (and more importantly all the top ranked players) enough so it's hard to figure out what exactly they are trying to do.
>>
yes but it also runs like ass unfortunately
>>
>>781334
Yeah. It was always a rocky piece of junk. If CoH2 was a vehicle, it is a trash bucket running on coal in some mad max apocalypse. That said, the update from 32bit to 64 bit since its introduction to the XBOX PC store it has crashed way less often. I'd say from a crash every 3 games to... 1 in every 10?

It's not an improvement by any real standard but us CoH2 junkies will take whatever help there is.
>>
>>781331
I think the balance team relies on usage stats too much when balancing
>>
>all the vehicles that require micro and time wasting to change ammo types to target infantry or vehicles are allied
lol
>>
>>782321
Using OKW's HEAT rounds take a lot of skill, though.
>>
>>776812
It's fun but it's a meme
>>
>>782321
Filtered
>>
>>782321
>the 75 sherman switches between okay medium to great anti-infantry tank
>the 76 switches form okay medium to pseudo-tank destroyer
wtf are you complaining about?
The 75 HE is great and you don't have to sacrifice a medium like with the ostwind or centaur
The 76 is kinda shit on its own but it's a medium that doesn't get hard countered by panthers and it's really good against the anti-infantry tanks that rely on frontal armor like the sturmtiger and brummbar
And if you're so shit at the game that having such versatility at the press of a button is "time wasting" just go for the E8
Christ
>>
>>776812
>voice lines
Incorrect.
https://youtu.be/G4SpP7VBtA8
>>
>>783681
The point is, doing well with American units requires a higher level of skill. Therefore, at lower skill levels, the German player will usually win, but this is never accounted for by the balance team because its made up entirely of high-tier tryhards who want COH to be a competitive 1v1 game despite being totally unfit for that purpose.
>>
>>783831
>American units requires a higher level of skill
because their tanks are more versatile?
having a unit that performs 2 different roles is the opposite as "requiring more skill"
>and German wins at low skill levels because of this!
You think at low skill levels having riflemen and the stuart isn't enough of an advantage?
Or better yet, do you really think it boils down to noobs not switching ammo on their sherman tanks when by definition low skill level players lack fundamentals like using smoke, not floating, tech timing and remembering units?
Also are you so inexperienced that you don't know that an AP ammo sherman is still good against infantry, especially with the pintle upgrade?
>it's e-esport fault!
Nigga if you can't remember to press a button the problem is you, not the game
>>
>>783681
>The 76 is kinda shit on its own
It's the best medium tank in game
>>
>>783831
Or maybe you are unfit for using units efficiently
>>
>>784019
meh, stat-wise the E8 is better
Also the extra pen is pretty redundant when you have the jackson
I guess it comes down to taste, all the shermans are good imo
>>
>>784066
>stat-wise the E8 is better
It isn't, the 76 has better dps, ai performances, vet 0 anti heavy penetration mode, better at dps with normal round
>>
>>784522
The E8 has more armor, health and range
It can also spot for itself with the commander upgrade which makes it less likely to be caught out by ATguns, and imo survivability > DPS
but I'll tell you what I haven't really played much with the 76 I'll use it a bunch in the next few days and report back
>>
>>784704
Durability is almost always less preferable than dps, especially if it comes in the form of unreliable armor, and the ability to spot for itself is not as important as having the ability to engage all targets from vet 0.
Dps, timing and penetration are the most important features for vehicles, especially in 1vs1. Not only they establish the ability to drain of mp and harass the enemy before a counter is set up, but help vet up much faster and increase the performances earlier which agains snowballs the effectiveness of the vehicle, a 76mm Sherman will hit vet 3 much faster than easy 8, whcih needs vet 2 not to use focused aiming without being slow. The ability to take one more hit won't make up for dps, because at that point a normal Sherman and a Jackson are a far better combo, but the penetration gap of the 76 also allows it to counter Panthers and soft counters heavies
>>
File: E8rEHuEVEAk8tci.jpg (166 KB, 500x500)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Panzerfusiliers are CUTE
>>
>>784963
This.
>>
>>782321
Imagine complaining that you can switch between HE and AP rounds. The sherman is hands down one of the best medium options because the HE rounds are nasty with attack ground.
>>
>>783681
Funny how I see Panzer IVs being as effective at killing infantry, if not even better
>>
>>783681
On the other hand the PZIV is great at everything by default, there's asymmetric design, and then there's this nigger bussines.
>>
>>785475
>>785852
play osts then faggits, what's stopping ya?
>>
>>785859
I play everything, OST is just easy mode.
>>
>>785475
>>785852
>>785861
Screencap rank placement
>>
File: rank.png (181 KB, 710x602)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
>>785961
This might be a bad idea, but here, I don't have higher rank with Wehr becauase I haven't played them as much, and I have been trying to make Assault Grenadiers work and I lose more often than not with those guys, still fun though.
>>
>>786001
>duuuuh huurrr I don't play wehr as much xd that's why its of lower rank it's the assault grens fault xdddd I'm gay and black xd
Sorry buddy your rank just proved that sherman>P4 better luck next time LOSER
LOOOSER
>>
>>786003
Lovely.
>>
>>776812
It’s a good game
The balance is exceptionally

I’d basically consider it along with shogun 2 to be chess 2
>>
>>786001
You're decently ranked, even for 1v1 placement. 400-500 is decent enough in a player pool like CoH2. You do play team games more, but you still sit over 100 rounds in 1v1 as a whole.

While I disagree with you on the topic of PVI versus Sherman, I will concede that the PVI is the best generalist tank in the lot, but it's also just that. Versus HE rounds, it will never meet the same lethality at dropping models, especially if players start attack ground commands. In AP department, Sherman has a slightly higher penetration of 140-120 (Near to Far), while PVI has 125-110. That said, the two perform relatively the same in AP given that we have to account for the fact that Allies have typically smaller armor value while Axis typically has more padding for their troubles.
>>
File: Stats.png (17 KB, 480x962)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
For anyone who has qualms about the balance of this game, just going to leave this for y'all in case interested people are wondering why folks have so strong splits on what is balanced.

A majority of the casual player base has a preference to play 4v4 as it's always nice to have pals, and you can cover one another's weaknesses while solo is more a strict lesson on how to compose a balanced army. 4v4, axis has a much easier winrate because of the way the two factions are designed. Team games also give more chance to reach late-game super tanks that wehraboos tend to nut all over. In 1v1, axis actually has a harder time as allies has a much higher chance to shut down games, or exploit certain compositions that give them an easier start (for example, using light vehicles to bully OKW early game).

This is only this weeks stats, but the trend even on wider scales such as months will remain relatively the same. This game is balanced to a flexible degree depending on interpretation, with winrates fluctuating within the acceptable 10% ups and downs.
>>
>>786001
So what's exactly the problem here? You sit at equal levels for both axis and allies
What makes axis OP?
>>
File: xm6djdlias661.jpg (184 KB, 1170x1358)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
Sick of ww2 tbqh
Why not any of the following conflicts
>spanish civil war
>french war in indochina
>US vietnam war
>korean war
>first gulf war
any other underutilised conflicts you would like to see /vst/?
>>
>>786406
I already explained, I'm only equal because I'm not using the meta stuff when I play Wehr, I'm trying to make assault grens work.
>>
>niggas actually trying to argue balance based on the win percentages of a single player
lmao
>>
How does Men of War compare? The first COH kicked my ass I uninstalled out of frustration.
>>
>>786873
If you can't handle CoH then you'd be even more fucked with Men of War, that shit is micro hell.
>>
>>786206
I would honestly prefer COH to go more WIC and be balanced around 4v4 team games where each player fills an obviously unique role. Like, if you pick airborne, your own units are planes and air drops. If you pick armor, you get tanks but no infantry. If you pick infantry, you get troops and weapons teams but no tanks. Etc.
>>
>>786893
play wargame
>>
>>786580
>I'm only equal because I'm not using the meta stuff
Assault Grenadiers are meta
>>
>>787431
Since when? It seems like everyone thinks they're extremely situational.
>>
>>787492
I've been using Sturmgrens + Halftrack combos in both team and 1v1 games and I can fucking tell you they filter retards. Unless you're facing Assault Sections or Shocks, you're pretty much going to club them lest you're fighting tryhards who spams MGs. Just finished a 1v1 against USF with the AssGren --> PzGren build and it just fucking slaps at CQC. The only hard counter here are LVs but that gets negated pretty fucking quick by PzGrens. The rigel mines also help a lot denying them surprise pushes.

Honestly the casuals just utilize them like shocktroops when they aren't. They're built for fast quick hit-n-runs mostly targeting the enemy's team weapons and weaker infantry. At Vet3 they're even more dangerous that can compete against shocks, survivability also boosts with the 6-man upgrade.
>>
>>787492
>>787843

Assault Grenadiers are sort-of meta.
According to commanders picked over the last month, mechanized assault commander stands at the 3rd most picked commander (3272 matches) for 1v1 matches. In 4v4, it doesn't even hit top 5 since assault grenadiers have shit scaling to late game even with VSL upgrade. Like mentioned, it's a filter unit since it more or less bashes in people who can't properly respond to assault troops. There's some glaring issues with assault grens that typically see them literally never picked in tournaments, but in pubs they're easy game enders. Off the top of my head (excluding the scaling issue I already mentioned):

1. No snares whatsoever means any vehicle counterplay will more or less go unpunished (USF AA halftrack rush, Soviet T-70 meta, UKF UC Bren carrier rush).

2. Costly to reinforce, which doesn't help when their RA (received accuracy) is not as elite as stock army options like Panzer Grens

3. Overshadowed by Panzergrens that have much better vets, superior RA and far better DPS drop off over range.

4. Assault troops can't poke or do dps safely like standard LMG grens, which means you always have to try to close the distance. If an opponent has a solid reaction, you're going to drop models like mad before closing, reducing the DPS of the squad which means you'll lose the engagement at that point.
I tend to find ass grens still pretty deadly though, even with their current position in the game. 15 dps per model at vet 3 is fucking insane (almost the same as British commandos), and sprint helps them get in the position to close the distance. Grenade volley is okay and against scrubs who don't dodge you are getting free wipes. All in all, great pub stomp option.
>>
>>776812
G*D i love playing as US forces. Shits so diverse it makes reality look boomer tier
>>
>>788383
>censoring "God"
kike
>>
>>789322
Cool it with antisemitism, alright?
>>
>>789322
youre not supposed to say bad things to the Jews
>>
>>786478
WW2 is the perfect setting for a tactical RTS game, the tech is there for variety but not quite there for dumb shit like lockon missile
>>
>>782778
its a fun kind of meme tho
>>
>>789430
CoH 2 didn't give a shit, those loiters are a pain in the dick.
>>
>>789430
>but not quite there for dumb shit like lockon missile
coh2 has lock on artillery
>>
>>776812
Mainly your big, soft man tits and self-inflicted depression from drinking too many light beers well into 3am.
>>
Anyone ever try Men of War?
>>
File: 714.jpg (165 KB, 721x665)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>785859
I don't play g*rmans
>>
>>776812
AoE2 is the best RTS of all time
>>
>>789753
We know, 4digit shitter
>>
thanks relic for making the B4 complete trash
>>
>pak43 can shoot through buildings
lol fuck off
>>
>>789430
The Modern Combat Mod for COH1 proves you wrong.
>>
>>790897
>A half finished, dead mod still manages to shit all over coh 2
How the fuck do they manage these things?
>>
>>790894
>>pak43 can shoot through buildings
And that's a problem because?
>>
>>791065
While I find it better that the Pak43 can shoot through shotblockers for balance reasons, the complaint for it is probably how jarring it is for immersion. Even if we suspend disbelief that it's a game, the fact CoH lends a lot of its elements from WW2 means there's going to be expectations that it's going to be realistic. That, or just allies whinging despite the fact pak43 dies to most arty-callins with no chance of repairing.
>>
>>790204
why is the camera so freakin close to the ground? is this an fps?
>>
>>791635
It's a fairly low scale game, you don't handle that many units at once, however it would be really nice if one could zoom out a bit more.
>>
Man I tried playing 2v2s today to shake off the rust and I got my asshole penetrated
>>
File: 1617279454185.png (27 KB, 1173x105)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
Why does this game have so many balance whiners?
>>
>>776812
Im thinking you have brain damage. CoH1 was better.
>>
>>792180
Because a lot of people think they know the game in and out but hardly even know the basic DPS stats for them.

Also because these posts are usually made after losing to the faction they hate lmao
>>
>>792180
Because it's a historical game and people's opinions become way stronger when it's their favourite faction/vehicle that's doing badly.
>>
>>792216
>>792224
I think the point is CoH is a casual game first and foremost, it shouldn't be taken too seriously.
It was wayyy too much RNG for it to be considered competitive, comparing it to something like Starcraft or AoE2.
>>
>>792230
Nope, on the contrary, no matter how hard one can seethe at balance, games are won and lost by decision making, not by stats or RNG.
>>
>>792230
RNG is definitely a flavoring of the game, but I am inclined to agree with the other poster that it only plays to a small degree of the general outcome of engagements. Some elements in the game could do away with to abolish the big RNG punishments like random main gun crit or abandon vehicle. Originally, plane crashes were in here too, but thank God they more or less removed any threat it deals when crashing into people.
>>
File: 1375030613066.jpg (423 KB, 1280x960)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
>>792230
That's exactly what makes it so attractive to those whining people I think, since the game isn't trying to be realistic they can argue for different terms of "adaptation". Also unlike TRVE autism games there's way less people being filtered by CoH2 and therefore more people getting to whine.
Also NOD/GDI balancing is weird as fuck in a WW2 game, ESPECIALLY with Germans being designated brick shitfist GDI (we already have confirmation that they'll remain that way in CoH3 lmao), that contributes to a lot of whining too I think
>>
>>792246
Speaking of CoH3
Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty lackluster?
I watched Hans gameplay and it looks almost exactly the same as CoH2 with slightly different UI.
>>
>>792248
Played it myself and it looked pretty decent. For one, the faction design seems to be more than just "build tier building, make dudes".
>>
>>792248
DoW3 pretty much ensured that Relic isn't gonna try any fancy stuff with their next few games, it is what it is.
CoH2 also looked pretty lacklustre back in the THQ alpha desu and then it got even worse when Relic brought the VP speed down in the closed beta. Took many years for the game to become even decent and yet now it's pretty good.
>>
>>792248

Same. I'm not really an SP fan so the campaign looks nice but cmon nigga, I ain't here to play CoH/Total war. I'm going to wait until something like MP PvP Beta and see if the feeling continues. I remember feeling this way from CoH to CoH 2 but I ended up loving both games.
>>
>>792259
I hope so. Last good thing they made was CoH1.

DoW2 was decent but diverged too much from DoW1 instead of building on its success.

I dunno why relic do this, they make something successful and instead of improving on it, building on what worked they go in a different direction and fuck it up. Again and again. It's like they could actually take a leaf from EA or Activisions book. Those shitheads release Fifa and CoD every year and it's largely unchanged from previous years.
>>
>>786001
Lmao. This is what allied main ranks is when they said axis is op
>>
>>794331
To be fair, the ranks and levels are similar, but the win ratio is higher with both wehrmatch and okw.
>>
>>794464
>unironically trying to calculate stats for about 200 games each
nigga just win 2 games with USF and they're gonna be your top1
>>
>>794473
I guess my point is that it was easier to reach a higher win ratio with the Axis factions, not by a lot of course, but I don't know, maybe they're not that OP...
>>
>>794486
well then you are most likely retarded for trying to assume things based on such a small sample
>>
>>794487
Rude, but I deserve that.
>>
Why are rear echelons so fucking bad? Every other starting unit can be used in combat somewhat by REs are just absolute trash
>>
>>794999
park them in green cover and use volley fire, they can 1v1 sturmpios
>>
>>794999
They're okay
LMGs and riflenades make them decent against infantry and they're great zook carriers
imo their DPS isn't that terrible, RE spam is a legitimate strategy
>>
>>794999
RE has awful accuracy. This is the reason why they seem to do nothing against everything. It doesn't help that their received accuracy is basic so they drop like flies. That said, the veterancy of an extra model is great as it improves repair speed, and they are a great candidate for bazooka squads as the exp gain would be immediate.

That said, another small quirk of their dogass accuracy is that they actually do very well against kubelwagons and similar lightly armored vehicles. The target size is large enough that it's hard for them to miss, and thus the volume of their shots actually start to take effect.
>>
>>795534
>thus the volume of their shots actually start to take effect.
Does this mean that they should be better at point blank range? Against something that has a low ROF, like say, un-upgraded grenadiers or ostruppen?
>>
Damn the US at gun is actually pretty nice for 270mp, the vet 1 ability + the ammo is great.

Does anyone know if pathfinder crew view range + vet ability stack?
>>
>>795580
Yes. Funny enough, at 5 range, the rear echelon match volksgrenadiers at roughly 5 dps.
The problem is, the rear echelon's accuracy drops exponentially at more than 5 range. If you are not sure how far 5 range is, it is roughly the length of halftrack.
>>
File: 1634172176631.jpg (155 KB, 1080x1350)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>be me
>hate multiplayer but being a strategy gamer is an integral part of my identity so my mental state will collapse if I stop trying
>decide to play the campaign instead because I hit myself in the face and head when I lose mp games
>mfw I'm struggling against braindead AI and it's making me even more pissed off
I just got most of the way through the sniper partisan mission and Ania got fucking domed right when I was approaching the 3rd officer's camp and I have to start over now.

I hate this game so fucking much but I can't stop playing it. Please help me. Pic related.
>>
>>795661
Small tip that might help:
Set Classic Hotkeys to OFF
It makes it so that hotkeys are all positioned on the left hand. (e.g. qwer,asdf,zxcv)
Saves you a lot of headache and improves micro.
>>
>>795661
The campaign is bad, don't feel bad about screwing it up
for multiplayer literally just play with some frequency and you'll be better than 80% of players in a month
>>
>>795661
Are you a nigger? Try controlling your anger instead of chimping out at children's videogames
>A-Actually, I'm high T!!!1
Nope,you're a gorilla nigger monkey who can't control his emotions.
>>
File: 1605299199473.png (1.13 MB, 857x734)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>795661
>extremely young girls with extremely large breasts
>>
>>795661
>the absolute state of "strategy gamers"
>>
Hows the Rifle Company commander?
>>
>>795851
kinda disappointing
>>
>>795661
>being a strategy gamer is an integral part of my identity
Just let it go man, relax, it's fine.
>>
>>795851
It stopped being meta after they took away the cheese that was vetted up called-in riflemen. The EZ8 is not bad by any means, but isn't really a necessary upgrade as the regular sherman does the job quite well as is. It brings some good things, but overshadowed by other options that actually help fill in some weaknesses of the army.
>>
>>795868
>>795860
What are the most fun/best commanders and why?

I've gone from never playing usf to trying to git gud at them
>>
File: sturms.gif (3.66 MB, 438x288)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB GIF
>>795883
WC51 commander is pretty good
airborne is the nice because skill planes
the riflenade on RE one is also cool but the calliope got really nerfed now it dies to a sneeze
the two LMGs commanders are great, the priest is like shittier calliope but you can min-range wipe with it and it does fine.
Bulldozer doctrine can work too because ass engis are pretty neat, pic related
that being said I keep getting my asshole penetrated because I'm rusty as shit so maybe don't take my advice at face value
>>
>>777950
Never played coh2 (planning to) are there really RLA units in the game? Did those fuckers even see combat?
>>
>>795941
Yeah, there are ROA squads, but they are not very good.
IRL they did things like dig trenches and some antipartisan fighting, but they were not frontline units. They should have been base builder unit instead of the pioneers.
>>
File: campaign.jpg (151 KB, 1987x1059)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>795941
>>795952
Weren't like, half the fucken German units ROA when the game first came out? I remember seeing them everywhere in the campaign cutscenes + I swear German MG weapon teams had the ROA skins
>>
>>795984
Pretty sure they're supposed to be placeholders for every kind of German ally + ersatz-troops, they're used whenever the game needs a cannon fodder garrison.
But yeah, they're everywhere, I'm pretty sure they even show up in the fucking Berlin mission.
>>
>>776812
Relic peaked with impossible creatures.
>>
>>776812
>>In fact I would be making as far to say it is probably the greatest strategy game of all time.

It''s not strategy, it's tactics, real time tactices. Strategy is the broader scope of things, tactics is minor.

Also strategy, tactics requires thinking, for a while now it's been all about reaction time, if x does y then z sorta thing. Thats learning a pattern.
>>
>>796005
>new IP
>reddit spacing
>spews some retarded takes
sasuga
>>
>>796011
No such thing as reddit spacing you spaker. Just point out the flaws, please tell me how micro is strategic and not tactical.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=difference+between+stratagy+and+tactics

Learn.
>>
>>795998
>>795984
>>795952
>>795941
Remember when Relic answered to some criticism by saying that they researched this topic (ww2) thoroughly.
>>
File: 1603755032222.png (199 KB, 427x381)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>796013
>No such thing as reddit spacing
also bruh invest into some kind of spellchecker, this is getting emberassing
>>
>>796020
>>796020
>also bruh invest into some kind of spellchecker
>emberassing
>>
>>796020
Just admit you were wrong. There's a good chap.
>>
File: 1378582431098.gif (2.92 MB, 291x300)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB GIF
>>796005
Tactics is management of each particular engagement, like your few squads of conscripts vs an mg + some grens.
That engagement results in a tactical victory or loss, but the larger battle continues, the tug of war for resources, the wider decision-making is present in every match and in the meta layer with the selection of commanders and bulletins.
You know what else isn't strategy?
Logistics.
Building bases and mining resources in itself is a separate matter even though it's development is governed by strategy - just how every tactical engagement is governed by strategy by the virtue of determining what units participate in it, when and where it happens and what those units are fighting for.

tldr
>my dudes are fighting the bad guys, wat do?
Tactics answers this questions

>why are my units fighting, should they be fighting there, where should they be, what's my plan for this game and how does this battle fit into it and how it does it counter the other guy's plan?
Strategy answers this one

Coh2 can be very light on strategy when it comes to linear team game maps though, that much is obvious and I'm pretty sure that's the appeal of the mode, people just want to see the big tanks and artillery lob shells at each other.
>>
Anyone else think I&R Pathfinders are too strong?
They seem to wipe my volk/pio models with every shot, even on retreat.
>>
>>796048
Exactly, stat and tactics are different. But i would say CoH favours Tacs
>>
>>796056
Pathfinder replacing mainline infantry is a recent popular build order. They do have some glaring issues if played poorly, but the IR variant differs from them with having only 1 sniper variant in the squad while the regular variant has 2 snipers. This means the IR has a better dps output when forced to fight up close, as snipers have an inverse damage when range is involved. All that said, they're not very hardy squads and the snipers can only take into effect against models that have lost 40% of their hitpoints. Perosnally, I find them a strong unit, but expensive to reinforce and don't have any snares. It helps that the IR variant has that raw dog dirty arty call in, which makes them very tempting an option, though even then I wouldn't recommend building more than one in any army as manpower bleed is bad enough as is with USF.
>>
fuck me close the pocket is the most fucken broken ability in the entire game
>>
>>796949
Yeah. While it doesn't impact 1v1 scene as much, close the pocket typically ends game too easily in team matches. This is exasperated by maps like whiteball express where there are only two or so points to cut off to envelop the entire frontline. Funny as fuck to run with 4 Close the Pockets though.
>>
Unironically the best way to play COH is 4v4 compstomping. Shit, the Expert AI should have an even larger resource bonus IMO, just to make it really dicey. The sheer randomness of COH (along with 2's bullshit commanders) means making it a serious competitive 1v1 game is just a joke and shouldn't even be attempted.
>>
>>797039
Sure. I think it's valid for people to enjoy the AI difficulty. I personally don't enjoy it since the AI cheats by having more resource, maphack and multi-teching. It's just the Hard AI with cheats, more or less. Of course you could say that just means winning is more significant, but it's hard to be entertained by AI that sometimes donate weapon crews and going into bad engagements since it'll be like winning against a scrub.

CoH has RNG involved, but the general tactics dictate the result rather than random chance. There are some very specific RNG that I agree need to be rid of to truly be competitive ready, but there's plenty of tourneys and replay casts that show a great deal of potential.
>>
>>797048
>but the general tactics dictate the result rather than random chance
you would hope, but then you see a grenade land right in the middle of a tightly grouped squad and do almost fuck all
>>
>>797054
I love personal anecdotes that have no evidence to back it up. What kind of grenade? Are they in cover? You are aware that units standing inside cover take reduced damage from nades, right?
>>
>>797054
I've seen a mortar land in the middle of some guys and fuck all happens.
Then again, CoH 2 is very arcadey, if it tried to depict any sort of realism, the bitching about MG-42's would be immense.
>>
>>797054
out of all possible arguments you somehow picked the one that has zero RNG involved
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g89w_85hvlo
>>
File: sad.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>797219
>You are aware that units standing inside cover take reduced damage from nades, right?
wish i could believe you when i get an entire squad squad wiped by a grenadier rifle grenade
>>
>>797299
Did you try to move at the last second? Were your squads low on health when the grenade impact? If you moved at the last second, the damage reduction does not apply. And doesn't matter if you get them if your squad is low on health to begin with. These are basic mechanics patched in place to prevent one shots since they're never fun. It's not a case of believing or not.
>>
>>797299
I´m too lazy to read all the discussion, but a rifle granade to any unit in green cover it´s just going to take from 20 to 40% of the health and 0 to 1 models in my experience.
On yellow cover it´s a whole other story, i have consistently whiped out so many units becouse of retards like you who use yellow cover against nades, the problem is not the bonuses, rng´s or anything like that, it´s that a lot of yellow cover have the models too cramped together, with little to no spacing between them, so one detonation at the center of the formation gets them all taking the full migth of nade.
>>
basic build for brits? atm I go inf sex -> UC -> t2 -> ass officer -> mg/bolster inf -> engi/inf sex -> at gun or aec maybe
I want to fit a sniper in somewhere because the brit sniper is cool but he is so expensive and I don't really know what a good time is to get the mortar pit
>>
>>799669
>2 sections for the entire early game
so that's what team games do to a nigga
>>
>>799669
Mg->2 inf sec->t2->engie->at gun if light veichles otherwise t2 and save for comet

I find this build basic but it consistently wins games
>>
>>799669
>3 inf squads until bolster
>I just CAN'T field the sniper!!!
wtf are you using your manpower on?
>>
>enemy player gets two MG42s and spams assault grenadiers
>eventually get T70 and kill his two MG42s
>immediately leaves
honestly anyone who is like that should have their throat fucken crushed
>>
>>799828
>gets an easy win
>complains
???
>>
File: 1619637949691.png (43 KB, 657x527)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>799828
half the time when I play Axis 3v3 or 4v4 with my friends the enemy team just tries to sim city with americans or, in particular, brits and then leave when we destroy their stuff
>>
>>799858

3v3 and 4v4 is filled with the type of people who used to make Vire River Valley lobbies in CoH. I don't understand how people could say thats the way the game is meant to be played, let alone the mode that balance should think about.
>>
>>799858
>>799862
4v4 is Retard Zone, meant to unwind after a bad day, by screaming on children with brain problems not doing stuff properly.
Still there is that occasional fun game.
Like that one time in CoH1 where I cheesed the germs by ferrying MGs and Piats with Bren Carriers on their rears. Caused a mass retreat, and begun construction of 3 arty pieces.
Creeping Barrage'd their base for 10 minutes before they quit.
I was erect
>>
File: shit.jpg (737 KB, 1920x1080)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
>>799715
what are you on about, this actually uses all my mp (pic rel). Not that I am going to pretend this is a good build, I am new to coh and brits. I just figured getting a late sniper is not worth it, as it would be harder to get value out of it and it will die much easier. Do tell me when I should be getting it please.
>>799674
i like to rush the ass officer he seems pretty good
>>799684
i'll try it, but UC is a lot of fun
>>
>>799938
well if you really want it early you can go sniper instead of the officer depending on whether the map is close ranged or long ranged
or go IS, IS, officer, sniper, IS/engis
>I just figured getting a late sniper is not worth it
Nothing wrong with that aside form the opportunity cost as you probably want at least an HMG at some point
>as it would be harder to get value out of it
Pgrens and obers come out later and they're prime sniper targets
Sturms and HMGs are always on the field
You don't go sniper to win map control, you go sniper to bleed manpower
>and it will die much easier.
When you've got more squads on the field it's harder for the enemy to push or flank your sniper
and german light vehicles will have less of a window to get it before a "late" sniper comes out closer to the AEC
also there's the "countersniper" fresh sniper which is always worth it if you can pull it off
>>
How do I get better at playing OKW against Brits?
Feels like they can easily counter everything I have, while I don't have many options in return.
>>
>>800744
rely more on light vehicles since they don't have snares on the sections 221 and luchs in particular
preemptive rakketten and mines for the AEC, a couple of p4js into a panther
if emplacements are giving you trouble try firesturm for the incediary leig rounds
LMG obers should shit on bolstered bren sections no problem IIRC
finally sturmtiger to wipe team weapons, jagdtiger to outrange everything including ATemplacements, KT/tiger for general tank dominance.
Also the walking stuka is pretty good
>>
>>800744
Infantry Sections typically will out trade your volks from cover. It doesn't help that UC will shove and bleed you until you whip out AT for it. Your best bet is to always engage lone squads with paired up squads. UC is to be avoided if possible. Pfusiliers is an option to counter them, but they actually fare worse than Volks until they get their upgrades. Either way, you need to minimalize bleed and hold onto key points until you can either roll over the opponent with a surprise push into a flank or have the Brits make the mistake of attacking aggressively where their advantage is offset significantly. Mortar emplacements can be annoying but in 1v1 that takes away a significant portion of their manpower, which improves your chances of just pushing lone squads back. Counter with LEIG or just assault it if it's built somewhere too ambitious. Flame nades, rakaten, you know the drill. When I play Brits, my main woes are usually being pinched on timings. If I lose a flank or had my early AEC taken out, I am going to be taken a knotch down pretty significantly. Had people even pull a smart one on me by building a Luchs and luring the AEC into a mine before finishing it off with a Rakaten. More or less had my infantry sections punted around by the Luchs for a while as a result.

That said, even the top 10 players for the game in all factions bitch and moan about Brits so you're not the only one. Some even just immediately slam alt+f4 upon queueing with a Brit opponent. Not because they can't win, mind you, but it's too much work and they sometimes want to just play something easier.
>>
File: 6f0.jpg (38 KB, 758x644)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>799862
>the type of people who used to make Vire River Valley lobbies in CoH
>CoH1
>Lyon
>1v1 vs AI
>blow all bridges except one
>post snipers to prevent bridge repairs
>>
>>797004
>join 4v4 map
>host picks a corridor like map
>tfw only 2 points dividing bases from the map
>>
File: 1604746181771.jpg (64 KB, 682x1024)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>4v4 EXPERT COMP STOMP only
>>
god US is a waste of fucken time.

Everyone says riflemen are good but I get better luck with fucken conscripts
>>
>Have DShK set up
>two grenadiers with MG42s approach from directly infront
>they just gun down the DShK gunner
>kill every man as they get on the machinegun
What's the point in having 6 man team weapons if they're made of toilet paper?
>>
>>802101
They literally changed the MG formations so that doesn't happen nearly as much
>>
>>802106
well it still fucken happened
>>
>2v2 playing as axis
>win most early engagements
>have most map control
>get to the mid-game
>allied players start spamming out mortars, calliopes, katyushas
>suddenly all my infantry/weapons are getting instawiped
We still won, but holy shit was it infuriating.
Arty spam is like a noob crutch.
>>
>>797291
Anyone else this guy shouldn't try to be some sort of CoH streamer? He has zero personality.
>>
>>802476
>le personality xd
fuck your parasocial relationships
>>
>>802484
He's just boring as fuck to watch is all, I don't know why he tries, nigger isn't even that good, his guides are ok I suppose.
>>
>>802360
Yeah. When all else fails in 4v4, people will just sit back and arty. It's easy and requires a lot less input and attention. Your best bet is to have commanders that shut down that sort of play. Just recon and either dive bomb with IL-2 or anything of equal devastation.
>>
>>802533
Thing is, Calliopes are really hard to counter since they have the same armor/health as an actual tank.
Best options so far is to just ignore the arty spam and focus on cheap infantry to cap points and tanks to support, since they won't have as many actual forces to contend.
>>
>>802949
>since they have the same armor/health as an actual tank.
Not since the nerf, it now goes down in 3 hits
it's not as weak as a pwerfer but now it's relatively easy to punish a greed calliope
>>
>>802949
They're as weak as Scotts I feel like, they can get snared from full health IIRC.
>>
>>802949

They changed it bruh. 2 p4 shots are now enough to kill a Calli.
>>
>>802949
Calliopes are more a team game hazard as far as my knowledge goes, so I will proceed with that game mode in mind. It's definitely one of the more irksome rocket barrages as it's harder to just do a drive by on. That said, unlike its contemporaries, it typically requires the player to shove it as close as possible to ensure wipe. The best punish I can think of in that context is to listen to fog of war for the telltale noise of vehicles to either attack it preemptively or dodge early. It's not a cheap option so taking them out is always a good idea.
>>
Best OKW commanders?
Overwatch seems like great all-round choice for any gamemode, Jaegers are still great and they provide a lot of vision.
I usually choose between this or Scavenge.
Lately I've being trying out Grand Offensive and I am liking it more than Breakthrough. Tiger supported by pfuss blobs with seems to do really well. The fact that you can get double shrecks on a pfuss is super good, as OKW really lack AT without panthers.
>>
How the hell do you use riflemen effectively?
I do fine with bong sections, fine with conscripts, but as soon as I use riflemen I suck shit
>>
>>804338
Try to close the distance when it seems advantageous, riflemen ROF is good up close.
>>
>>804338
Against Ostheer your riflemen should easily beat un-upgraded grens, just push if their not in green cover.
Against OKW you can blob your riflemen and easily gain control in the early game since they have to tech to get and MG (which also sucks), their best counter to this is the flak halftrak so an early AT gun or stuart fucks it up.
>>
>>804338
Riflemen's optimal range is 5 range, with a dps of about 6 at vet 0 and nearly 10 at vet 3. This is considerably better than any other rifle squad, but the fact they benefit from close range means you have to be aggressive. Solo squads forced to run out of cover to close the distance will suffer in performance, while blobbing you can significantly cut down on the losses by microing squads to move when not focused on, then closing the gap to start having the DPS disparity take effect. Afterwards, it's just about getting them some sweet sweet BARs to double down on that close range adanvatage. Either way, they have a unique profile for base infantry squads. While not entirely helpless at medium range, they definitely benefit from close range a lot more than most.
>>
>>795903
This gif right here tells me it's not that good. It looks like a reskin of a game from 2005 with units standing in the open firing at each other from two or three meters away. Takes no advantage of scale or realism of the setting. Basically DoW1 but set in WWII, looks corny as hell compared to something like Steel Division where units are engaging each other across maps that are kilometers across and units have to take cover or concealment to not get ganked and the character of the historical setting sets the tone for gameplay. COH2 and games like it are just derivative and stale in comparison.
>>
>>776812
It is worse than its OWN predecessor. How the FUCK do you come to your conclusion.
>>
>>805130
It's a completely different style of game, it's not a realistic milsim by any means.
Cover is important, that's why units were dropping like flies in that gif.
>>
File: 1608896368923.png (30 KB, 128x128)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>it's the muh realism schizo again
>>
>>805130
All this text complaining about realism and he brings up the drivel that is paradox and steel division.

You are one dumb, dense, stupid motherfucker
>>
>>805130
Steel division sort of flopped desu. Personally I think its because of the sysreqs. The sort of person that enjoys "real" ww2 combat is not the sort of person who owns a beast of a machine, as most games in that genre are literally hex and chit based (e.g. war in the east). Not sure who they thought they were marketing it at, the "grognard" sitting on his RGB "battlestation" PC?
>>
are pathfinders good? When is a good time to get a pathfinder squad?
>>
>>805130
It's a videogame, it's not supposed to be a realistic simulation of war, do you also think that any infantry unit should die in one shot?
>>
>>805215
Rent-free, never mentioned Paradox. And Steel Division is way better.
>>805369
Yes. Because then you have to think about how you're using stuff.
>>805185
It's not even just about realism, it looks like a mobile game. You guys wonder why the rts genre is dying, it's pretty obvious from that gif, the genre hasn't changed in 15 years despite the fact that the capabilities of the engines have skyrocketed. I like the genre, I play shit like Dawn of War and love it, but you have to change the gameplay in substantial ways or people are going to stop buying HD reskins with minor mechanical changes for the price of a brand new game.
>>
>>776812
>his real time """strategy""" game has health bars
>>
>>805398
you have no idea what you are talking about and are completely clueless on basics of game design
>>
>>776812
Bro I get you like it but the best ever? Company of Heroes 2? That one out of all the strategy games?
>>
>>805407
so do legendary rts games like command and conquer, what's your point?
>>
>>805407
99% of RTS games have health bars, what are you on about retard?
>>
>>776812
Steel Division is unironically better.
Go play a game that isn't made by trannies.
>>
>>805185
Cope, tranny :)
>>
>>779480
Elaborate, please.
>>
>>783794
Good shit
>>
>>806233
The game is goofy. Its portrayal of combat is goofy. Its models are goofy, its voice lines are goofy, it's just silly and it wants to take it seriously.
The game is a parody without realizing it.
>>
>>806263
I see.
Guess you need to rely on slavs to make gritty atmosphere in games nowadays.
>>
>>805398
coh2 is from 2013 and has amounted a decent playerbase. fuck is your problem
>>
>>806263
Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.
I remember on release that the game tried all kinds of ways to just portray the story as some dark and gritty Soviet WW2 war crime tale, but it had so much bullshit in it that people just mocked it. Most players who still stick around more or less pretend campaign never happened.

If you can look past the whole lame launch and the fact it made an attempt for realism, the rest of the game feels just a light homage to the theme it lends from. Game has so many disconnects with realism for the sake of balance now that we're so many years down with patches, it is impossible to suggest it is realistic in any way. Wanting to argue it's realistic is only for LARPers and people with xXxSSUbermenschxXx as their handles.

That said, there are mods that went for the realism direction in the workshop and honestly I feel that it stops being as fun in a game. Losing squads almost instantly is realistic, but wholly frustrating in actual matches. Especially in titles like CoH where veterancy is a key gameplay element. Losing vet squads is a game changer in current meta, and realism mods I've experienced so far more or less turns the mechanic insignificant as things die instantly one way or another.

CoH2 isn't like its predecessor in many ways, but it is a game that has yet to have an alternative. I'm hooked on the gameplay of tactics over strategy, but other titles don't do it the same way. Iron Harvest was promising, but good God it was so shit on release I just lost faith.
>>
File: lol.jpg (77 KB, 1341x1021)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>Here's you senior COH3 dev team bro
>>
>>806454
Nice bait
That's the community manager.
>>
File: 1537310758704.jpg (118 KB, 558x640)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>805925
>>806056
Correct, those aren't strategy games either.
>>
>>806478
you will never be a woman
>>
>>806527
Cool. So long as I get to dick woman that's fine with me.
>>
File: 5jnqKCj.png (176 KB, 322x392)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
this game is absolute fucking shit
>>
>>807502
I don't understand what you're mad about?
Gren models have higher hp to compensate for lower squad size.
>>
>>807543
>fuckall total squad hp
>some how every single member of the squad is still alive
>>
>game came out in 2013
>no borderless windowed mode
that's pretty much my only gripe, I like the rest of the game
>>
>>807550
-window –fullwindow in steam launch settings and -forceactive so the sound still plays while you are tabbed out
>>
>>807557
Thanks babe, now all I need are friends that actually still play this game 8 years later
>>
>>807543
>>807546

Just so you know, all infantry models have 80hp regardless of what sort of squad they are. What separates survivability outside of squad size is actually their received accuracy modifier and armor (and only shock troops have armor value so it's mostly RA). Squads with really high RA like vetted up grens or infantry sections for brits tend to suffer less model drops during skirmishes with small-arms.

Certain things that RA can't help with are:
1. Main gun shots from tanks do not account for RA.
2. Same goes for mortars
3. Snipers ignore RA, and USF pathfinders prioritize low health models (40% HP) with an insta-crit.
>>
>>807563
If you're looking for people to play with, there's a couple communities on discord that host regular games or have regular players just hanging. CoH2.org has an active community, as does the youtube SkippyFx share his channel. The player skill level there is a little scrubby in their, but if you're starting out I think that's the preferred environment to learn without being bogged down with teammates that expect too much out of you.
>>
>>807502
>Vet 3 Grenadiers
Working as intended
>>
>>804276
Which mode?
For 1vs1 the holy trifecta is Overwatch as default, Grand Offensive against SOV and Luftwaffe
>>
>>805135
It's really not, it's superior in any way but singleplayer
>>
>>808776
I typically stick to team games, like 2v2 or 3v3.
What makes Grand Offensive particularly good against Soviets?
>>
>>808779
Soviets start with either efficient coverfighters with poor RA or assault infantry
A pure panzerfusiliers opening is not as disadvantaged as against WFA allies, since superior cover usage and proper use of sturmpioneers can grant you an edge in early fights. Panzerfusiliers have tier 0 at grenade that can counter microlights like the m3, and grenades that can help against 6 men team weapons. By rushing and preserving munitions, you can get g43 upgrades for your squads fast. When you do, you outgun every mainline infantry easily, and if you can rush it in time for 2CP infantry like shocks or guards, those will have a much harder time than they have with volks. Panzerfusiliers with g43double up as recon squad with flares and extended vision, so when you start outplaying your opponent on infantry combat and he decides to rely on team weapons, you can also counter them easily.
If timed and executed flawlessy, the x3 g43 rush allows you to rush Panzer IV without any light vehicle and without losing aggressiveness
>>
>>805398
>the genre hasn't changed in 15 years despite the fact that the capabilities of the engines have skyrocketed
When it did, we got flops like Steel Division and Eugen went bankrupt
Send Madhat my regards
>>
File: 1634750050741.jpg (137 KB, 463x453)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>799938
>Only 2 sections
>Bolster
>>
>>789425
>>789339
No "antisemitism" without semitism.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.