[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 13 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1113959225600.gif (870 KB, 400x300)
870 KB
870 KB GIF
Can we have SRPG thread?
>>
>>765667
sure why not
I am playing Eternal Poison on emulator
combat is decent - biggest problem is leveling auxiliary units but I like voice acting and characters
>>
>>765667
Sauce?
>>
>>765692
First time hearing about it actually, SRPG as genre seems to be a black hole you always find something new from time they were made huge amounts.
>>765750
SRW F Final
https://youtu.be/TJpx7zDlStg?t=138
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (174 KB, 1280x720)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Does sunrider count?
>>
>>765771
why not, looks like SRPG to me
those attacks is one hell of a "tight budget" type, brings a tear to my eyes
>>
File: file.png (1.95 MB, 1280x720)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
Mercenary Saga is okay FF-wannabe franchise from japanese indie devs, have been going since 3DS, with fresh ports to Switch.
>>
File: file.png (645 KB, 680x444)
645 KB
645 KB PNG
I thought Dark Deity was good. Not amazing, but good. There are some balance issues though, and the game is even more broken with a low or 1 character run with weapon upgrades and buyable stat increases. At least the characters that are genuinely capable of soloing need to at least make it to level 10 first.
>>
>>765771
How is the actual gameplay? How much of it is a Visual Novel compared to actual gameplay? I am interested in playing it mechanically, but I am not sure if I want to play through a whole visual novel for it.
>>
>>769853
I thought it was terrible. Horrible balance aside, it was just plain boring. The maps had nothing going on. No side objectives; well they couldn't have side objectives anyway since they structured things so there was no way to actually reward you. Weapons are inherent to the character so you can't find fun loot and characters auto-join. The maps never 'evolved,' what you saw at the beginning of the stage was what you got. Nothing pushed you. 95% of the game was just throwing your character out there and hitting the skip turn button. And some of the things made it so blatantly obvious that they released it as soon as they could once they got shown off at E3. Like some of the save buttons just straight up didn't work. "But they fixed it later!"

It's one of those games that ended up so bad that I looked into its development history because I was genuinely a bit annoyed. Reading over the things they claimed in their kickstarter was just hilarious. "No map is just 'kill the enemies'" they said; oops, almost every map is just that. Apparently two of the main devs were business students who had just graduated. Well I guess they learned that with marketing and rubbing elbows with the right people, they can get a ton of sales even if their product sucks. Now I'm angry again.

Sorry anon, I'm not trying to shit on you, I just really don't want anyone to get tricked into buying this game because, in my opinion, there are no redeeming qualities. Even the plot was bad.
>>
>>769854
Try it. The first one was nice, after that it goes downhill.

They cut the english voice-over, the VN parts get progressively more harem-y. The combat breaks down in later missions when there are too many enemies at once. Most of your actions no longer matter and it's just about placing your few AoE attacks properly.
>>
>>765667
And then they proceed to do nothing about its ridiculous range the next time it shows up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwmtze7EZ_E
>>
File: 1455200647620.gif (933 KB, 180x135)
933 KB
933 KB GIF
>>770164
I mean, why they would do anything about it?
It's the Ideon.
Seems like fair treatment to me.
>>
I got Chaos Galaxy on the recommendation of one of the anons here and have been enjoying it. Best way I can describe it would be a Pokemon Conquest spiritual successor with a competent ai and more strategic depth.
>>
>>765667
>SRPG
Spanish RPGs?
>>
>>765667
I really want to play a bunch of SRPGs but I'm autistic and I have to start every game with the first original entry
I find that a lot of famicom and SNES srpgs are extremely samey after the first 5 to 6 chapters and then give up and never continue the series sadly
>>
>>769854
I only played the first. It had some nice ideas, some not so nice ideas. The combat was best early on, in my opinion.

I liked how armor got progressively worse as ships got damaged, that was a nice mechanic that unfortunately wasn't as relevant as I'd have liked.

The worst mechanic was enemy missiles and flak. You basically had to clump your entire fleet together if you didn't want to get obliterated by them, which really hurt the tactics.

From memory, it was definitely weighted heavily towards the combat elements over the visual novel elements.
>>
>>772181
I'm worse because I insist on this but also on doing it with hardware.
>>
File: file.png (194 KB, 218x309)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>772181
start with newer series, like ones from ps2 era or something, or just standalones
But if you are can't into repetition, genre may be not for you, at least for now.
It took me years till I started properly diving into games and finishing them.
No need to hurry anywhere
>>
File: Shining Force Camp.png (1.43 MB, 1000x703)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>>765771
I kinda wanted to get into this because the premise seemed fun enough but the combat just didn't really hit it, it was pretty janky to me. Also the mech designs weren't that great but that's details.

>>775178
I need to get around to actually playing RoR, it's got some cool stuff but man was it also slow as all hell for not a whole lot of addition to the combat system. But it was cool.
Kinda wish they'd just gone full fictional with the setup tho instead of alt history tho, but that's personal autism.

>>772181
Valkyria Chronicles, four games in total all pretty recent. Fun as all hell to me at least but note it's also more of a "how do I cheese this fight/encounter" and puzzle game more than it is a pure SRPG in the sense that you can often find the dumbest strategies to get past stuff. But you can also play it pretty normally with killing all enemies on the maps and stuff, which is satisfying.
Shining Force, you get four or so entries in total for the SRPG ones, maybe a few more with the more recent ones but those are JP only half the time. There's some missing QoL features but it's a simple SRPG series.
Also stuff like Banner Saga and other more recent stuff like that.
Then there's also just one off games out there too if you look for them. i.e. the recent Fae Tactics, Battletech, Feda for an old SNES one. I'm sure you can find quite a few that don't have Fire Emblem levels entries to their series if you look for it.
>>
File: GoXXXo.png (91 KB, 350x270)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
We are month and a day away from SRW 30 worldwide release.
Never expected that to happen.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.