[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 0.jpg (37 KB, 480x360)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033FWxL22A0
>half the units are women
YAAASSSSSSS QWEEEEENS SLAY DEM DEMONS
>>
File: eba.jpg (110 KB, 522x522)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>764753
Design is quite good compared to kislev, its fantasy but is much more in line with eastern exaggerated fashion, very nice tzeentch units with hover knights and pink/blue horrors (reskinned forsaken tho)
Sadly its also pozzed as shit with women everywhere, at least BManon will be happy
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.33 MB, 1199x2019)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>764753
>Cathay doesn't get its most iconic unit.
>>
HOLY FRI*GING EPIC
Loved those steampunk airships and air battles. Reminds me of Kharadron Overlords and their Aether War against Tzeentch's forces. CA sure did their damn research.

Loved those roaring big monsters, it's equally fun in every single trailer they make.

And I already love that Cathay LL, THIS is how you make good strong female character. Her speech was so inspiring and epic.

I love you CA :)
>>
Looks meh. More and more I feel like WH3 will be shit and CA just pulled off a lucky one with Mortal Empires.
Why does Cathay look like it was ripped from AoS and fused with cheap anime?
>>
>>764753
CHINA WILL GROW LARGER GWAILO
>>
>>764753
Wow another worthless cgi trailer with no gameplay. Who fucking watches these anymore? What a waste of time. Anyways enjoy your 3 faction launch (all 4 chaos armies are going to be the same just with reskins and maybe a texture or two swapped)
>>
>>764753
>small girls with giant grenade launchers
Do they need appeal to weebs really that hard ?
>>
>>764753
No fantasy jackie chan, no buy from me
>>
>medieval fantasy
>flying cities/zeppelins
>gunpower

WoW ruined a whole genre.
>>
>>764866
>he thinks WoW put gunpowder in medieval fantasy
anon, Warcraft was derived from Warhammer Fantasy
>>
>>764866
Why are you even commenting if you don't know the most basic details of Warhammer lore?
>>
>>764866
No one show him Clan Skryre
>>
>>764753
It doesn't look like Warhammer anymore, but it could spawn lots of interesting mods with those female models.
>>
File: 1530076329010.jpg (92 KB, 581x767)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>764936
>why doesn't china look like western europe
>>
>>764938
Idiot, Warhammer 1 and 2 are more or less a low fantasy setting. Warhammer 3 looks like high fantasy, would be okay for the demonic factions. But the difference between the old and new human factions is really big. The Empire can't even recruit generic wizards to lead theire armies and Kislev and Cathay are filled with all kinds of magical stuff.
>>
File: 1509273546925.png (91 KB, 645x729)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>764943
>Warhammer 1 and 2 are more or less a low fantasy setting
>>
File: quattro.jpg (21 KB, 258x322)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>764943
>Warhammer 1 and 2 are more or less a low fantasy setting.
You have zero idea what low fantasy is. And if you think Cathay is "too magic" for Warhammer, I bet you have some choice words for the high elves and tomb kings.
>Kislev and Cathay are filled with all kinds of magical stuff.
Based on what? 3 minute trailers showcasing their magic-using legendary lords?
>>
File: sunb8er.png (235 KB, 1500x1500)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>764943
>Warhammer 1 and 2 are more or less a low fantasy setting.
>>
File: batzorig.jpg (54 KB, 500x500)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>764753
But there's one they fear...
>>
>>764953
The hobgoblin khanate?
>>
>>764950
>You have zero idea what low fantasy is. And if you think Cathay is "too magic" for Warhammer, I bet you have some choice words for the high elves and tomb kings.
How can it be that Kislev has already at launch as much magic units as the high elves have with all theire DLCs? They have not much of that stuff in lore, where they mainly acted as an shock cavalery and ranged faction.
>>
>>764958
>How can it be that Kislev has already at launch as much magic units as the high elves have with all theire DLCs?
The hell are you on about?
>>
>>764958
Bear cavalry isn't magic, Anon.
>>
>>764958
>They have not much of that stuff in lore, where they mainly acted as an shock cavalery and ranged faction.
As they are in TW, almost all of their infantry are melee/ranged hybrids.
>>
>>764960
The roster for kislev is already out, they have as much magic weapons and spirit beasts as the High Elves have now from the start. Most of the magical High Elv stuff got added in via DLC later on. Kislev isn't lore friendly from my point of view, they made it into an high fantasy Age of Shitmar civ.
>>
>>764964
You're right, the roster is out and it's clear you haven't read it if you think Kislev is on par with the High Elves in terms of magic units.
>>
You have a general on /lgbt/,go back there.
>>
>>764753
She ain't a queen. Nor an Empress. She's the daughter of the Dragon Emperor.
>>
>>764943
>Warhammer
>High Fantasy
MORON. Trying to put Warhammer Fantasy into any fantasy category is plain moronity. It's high, low, dark fantasies with fantasy kitchen sink and sword and sorcery thrown in along with black humor. Everyone trying to put Warhammer Fantasy into a specific category of fantasy is automatically a moron.
>>
>>765073
Their two starting LL's seem to be her and her brother, both children of the Dragon Emperor?

Cathay will probably be in a civil war situation at game start, with multiple warring factions splitting the nation and preventing the player from starting as a gigantic powerhouse.
>>
>>765082
>Their two starting LL's seem to be her and her brother, both children of the Dragon Emperor?
OK, this is something. Wondering if later DLCs will introduce more siblings or will we have at least someone like the Monkey King? Time will tell.
>Cathay will probably be in a civil war situation at game start, with multiple warring factions splitting the nation and preventing the player from starting as a gigantic powerhouse.
Now this will be interesting. Kislev has Ice Witches vs Orthodoxy (but I still hope for Gospodar and Ungol conflict) while Cathay has a power struggle brewing. Nice. Bonus if the Cathay campaign will involve Tzeentch trying to profit from this.
>>
>>765086
>Instead, their children provide a much more interesting prospect for the game, they are still extremely powerful characters with compelling family dynamics (spoiler, the siblings don’t get on), but with all the responsibilities of ruling and protecting great swathes of Cathay.

Pretty much confirms they plan to have more siblings.
>>
>>765092
>>Pretty much confirms they plan to have more siblings.
Oh well, no Monkey King then...OR MAYBE? Who knows? Depends on how much they want to milk the game.
>>
As a WHFB player, Cathay looks great. Definitely lived up to my hopes after hearing GW was actually going to give them a roster. The amount of morons having meltdowns because they think Empire and Bretonnia are representative of the entire setting is quite remarkable.

>>764786
Anyone who thinks Cathay looks more like an AoS faction here than a WHFB one simply hasn't played AoS. We literally still don't have a single original AoS faction with vanilla human rank & file soldiers.
>>
>>765094
Maybe they will have him as odd one out with different campaign mechanics at some point. They don't all have to be (literal) dragon princes. Lizards have a horde lord, so it's not like we didn't have odd ones, though that one is actually garbage so maybe not a good example.
>>
>>764943
>low fantasy
>high fantasy
Idiot words that mean nothing.
>>
File: cathay dragon.png (3.48 MB, 1920x1080)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB PNG
>>764753
I guess we know why Imrik is so far east
>>
I still wish for proper naval warfare. Granted, CA would probably make a hash of it, as they've done in the past, but the game doesn't feel complete without it.
>>
>>764753
>>half the units are women
my penis enjoys this particular detail
>>
>>764764
>fantasy China
>vs
>fantasy Slavs (all the Slavs)
What was the expectation from Kiev- I mean Kislev?

>>764954
The Mongols. I mean the Ungols.
>>
>>765269
I think you mean
>Fantasy China
>vs
>Fantasy BEARS BEARS ICE MAGIC BEARS
>>
>>764753
This looked better than I thought it would, I will remain cautiously optimistic about Cathay.
Still going to play Ogres on launch though.
>>
File: anastasiabullshit.png (52 KB, 578x285)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>765269

Actual
Slavic
FOLKLORE

Kislev has been flanderized to a comical level, to the extent I can hear the soldiers singing IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT I WILL FIND HERRRRRR while they march behind ebin epoch bear riders ecksdee whenever I think of any of the Kislev preview trailers

I can somewhat understand the developers/Games Workshop wanting to lean in to the idea that Kislev isn't "really" slavic, it's ~~~~~~fantasy~~~~~~~, so it can't owe any clear genetic fealty to any one slavic country's myths or folktales, but at the same time, the impression makes me feel like it'd be as if they took the Empire and removed steamtanks and the schools of magic, then replaced them with Leiderhosen wearing Shtosstrubenmeisters who use the Lore of Oktober to smite their enemies and put them fucking EVERYWHERE.
>>
File: 1563983254517.jpg (54 KB, 475x441)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>765104
They absolutely mean something, you clueless goober. Just because you don't understand how subgenres work doesn't mean they're meaningless. Five minutes of surface-level research and you would know that.
>>
>>765344
Kislev has always been a featureless blend of Russia parodies that exists as a boundary between the protagonists and the antagonists of Warhammer. It's a bunch of English nerds taking the piss, get over it.
>>
>>765365
Yes, but that is vastly superior to BEARS BEARS, ICE MAGIC, BEARS, BEARS.
Kislev as it exists now is closer to an Age of Sigmar style, everything must be over the top, faction than it is a more grounded fantasy faction.
>>
>>765368
>watch 2 minute trailer showcasing the faction legendary lord
>convince self no lore beyond those 2 minutes of footage exist
>...because
>get angry
Have you tried not doing this, anon?
>>
>>765374
Eastern Euros are always angry.
>>
>>764943
It's magic, fantasy China. If it didn't look ridiculous it'd look wrong. I'm still not sold on Kislev but Cathay looks perfect.
>>
>>765374
Nearly this entire site is infested with emotionally trigger-happy doomsayers. I can't imagine how miserable they must be when they *don't* have access to a keyboard.
>>
File: 1622375380628.jpg (96 KB, 802x840)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>765368
>everything must be over the top, faction than it is a more grounded fantasy faction.
Warhammer is not "grounded fantasy fiction", and even more so with CA's interpretation of it. It's like you guys mandela-effected a false memory of Warhammer as some kind of low key, grounded mudcore aesthetic. Larger-than-life has been the rule for the last 2 games. This is a setting where cities are so massive they look as if they stretch into infinity with architecturally preposterous giga-castles. This is a setting where CA's homebrew offshoot of chaos marauders are goofy viking exaggerations that ride giant woolly mammoths into battle. CA even homebrewed a faction of vampire pirates that basically field undead mecha built out of ship parts and giant zombie sinew along said giant enemy crabs and zombie gunner suspended by giant bats.
That there are people complaining that Kislev and Cathay are too "over the top" as if that's some kind of egregious departure from Warhammer or the TWW series' aesthetic has me wheezing.
>>
>>765385
Moderate and sensible opinions don't get (You)s.
>>
>>765403
Imagine chasing a meager ~10-30 (You)s for attention here instead of hundreds or thousands elsewhere. I've been on 4chan for 9 years now and it's been more tiring each year than the last, but that's probably more on my end than anyone else's.
>>
>>765365
>It's a bunch of English nerds taking the piss, get over it.
Just wait they read the Nippon lore...
>>
>>764769
Bro, you are going to lose social credit points
>>
>>764753
There will be the actual Dragon Emperor faction, right?
RIGHT?
>>
>>765555
in the trailer she mentioned she’s the ruler of the north province which implies there will probably be a playable southern province leader
>>
>>765374
You seem to have misunderstood my post, I like kislev a lot as a faction, I just don't care for the new take on them, which is a flanderisation of the faction.
No need to be needlessly contentious.
>>
>>765387
>Warhammer is not "grounded fantasy fiction"
Of course it is, just because fantastical things exist in the setting, does not change the fact that 99% of the setting is grounded. I personally don't really like CAs take on the warhammer world as they have very much made everything needlessly over the top, which combined with the way they've designed the vanilla game so that you have no restrictions on army composition and the game encourages doomstack armies of what are supposed to be very rare units. Thankfully, there are mods to fix the second part and the first can actually be pretty easily ignored most of the time.
I actually don't have a problem with Cathays aesthetic so far, the faction actually seems to be a lot more grounded than I was expecting.
>>
>>765555
No, the Dragon Emperor is way too OP to actually show up in the game, all the Cathay factions are lead by his squabbling children, which I think is actually a pretty decent way to handle this.
>>
>>765608

I just hope there's a convincing lore reason for the Dragon Emperor to not get off his ass if say, all of his awful children get beaten to death.

Corpse Emperor on a Jade Throne when.
>>
>YAAAAS Chinese and Slavic queen slay! Look how ancient and wise Cathay is, and how Kislev singlehandedly stopped chaos!
Warhammer is about Empire’s struggle against chaos along with elves dwarfs and other tolkienesque factions, not this cheap diversity fantasy shit. Enjoy your pozzed chink ruskie tranny propaganda, I’m done with this shit franchise
>>
>>765100
We'll see but I really do want him in.
>>765202
Well duh. Hoping also that Miao Ying will have some unique lines for Imrik addressing his interest in Dragons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4DVyt8yuFA&ab_channel=Tarriff
>>765344
Agreed. Hoping however that when the DLCs roll out then we'll get stuff that will even out at least the BEARS part. I want Frostfiends, Giant Elks, Ungol units, Hags and Hagmothers along with the latter having the ability to shapeshift into the Aspect of The Ancient Widow. You know, the almost 8-foot tall monster lady that can just with brute force alone slaughter an entire regiment of Chaos Chosen and tear them to ribbons as if they were made out of wet paper.
>>
She is apparently the SUPREME MATRIARCH.
My only comment is that she will never be Gelt.
How'd you reckon Cathay will go down in China?
>>
File: wushu.jpg (71 KB, 900x599)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>765685

Unironically not enough Wushu bullshit.

China's public is currently knee-deep in the power-fantasy escapism that the U.S. rocketed through in the 70's and 80's. They have little interest in being evenly match against anything because being evenly matched is an admission of relative weakness, and weakness is for decadent, fru-fru sissies, not powerful, hard-working men.
>>
>>765688
this
they are building national mythos now so they are over the top and will not admit any perceived weakness
>>
>>764753
wake me up when they release Ogres and Chaos dwarves
>>
>>765688
I wonder if they integrate this stuff.
Qi MAXXING would be fun.
>>
>>765688
>>765695
Well that's the beginning of the end for their power and civilisation then.
You can't teach your people that you're immune to threats and don't have to work to be better and expect to continue functioning.
Didn't work for Rome, or Britain or the US, so why keep trying?
>>
>>765387
vidya secondaries need to get the rope
>>
>>764753
Looks generic as fuck, none of that old Warhammer charm that GW has been so determined to erase. Can't be helped I guess, Priestley and everyone else are gone, nothing but chucklefucks and suits left at GW. To be honest though, I was never going to play Cathay much just like I won't play Kislev and don't play Empire or Helves either. Boring vanilla Order human factions are just dull to me.
>>
>>765709
they sell lie to the population but then they start believing them
don't believe your lies anons
>>
>>764786
I don't think it looks great or anything, but it looks nothing like AoS. This is far more generic, AoS is anything but generic, for instance AoS is absolutely hideously ugly, but it's ugly in a very distinct way.
>>764788
Why do you act like this is the first time a video game has featured fantasy China? I've been playing as China since Age of Empires 2, same as any other culture that's represented in games.
>>
>>764866
Dark Elves already have floating mountains, and Dwarfs have zeppelins and air balloons (not in-game yet) and even fucking helicopters, not to mention the Skaven's ratshit technology. Gunpowder has been integral to Warhammer Fantasy from the start.
>>764936
All the old guard who made Warhammer what it was are gone. Nothing GW ever makes will ever have that feeling again, sadly enough.
>>
File: cyclesofhistory.png (1.9 MB, 1039x1900)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
>>765709

It's not that anyone's "trying" to be that way. It's the natural consequence of riding the historical revolution from Underdog to Superpower. You'd have to try to keep those feelings and ideas at bay to be really trying at something. It's much easier to indulge them and passively coddle them.

Whiiiich is often what the most austere and ridiculously damaging death throes of powerful Empires are - the overcorrection against the head-strong blunderers, which we often mistake for being the times of the greatest achievement, but it's because we're looking at the product and not the production.

Victorian England did not make the men who made Victorian England - it made the men who made the syphillitic deathspiral of the 20th century England. It was itself the whiplash strong correction against the hedonistic age before it, which was a product of the height of British conquest and wealth.

The fact is, the "Good men make good times," chant that's become so popular is just a simplification of what the Greeks observed but in a more academic and scientific sense - there is a natural ebb and flow, rise and fall of the aggregation of power and it almost always seems to terminate in an earth shattering crash. However just because this is the natural cycle doesn't mean it's meritorious or inevitable. Wallowing in shit and dying of dysentery is the natural state of humans, and yet we now live in houses take medicine.

The ultimate end-goal of every modern political philosophy is to break this cycle for as long as possible, because the end step of the cycle is always dysentery.

On a related topic, I'm pretty sure the genesis of game studios follows the same pattern. We will have to see if CA has broken the cycle of "Weak first game makes good second game makes studio-killingly bad third game."
>>
>>765729
I think that's a massive oversimplification, an attempt to take the Big Man theory of history and stretching it over the whole populace. There are absolutely Big Men in history, but if you ask me, what makes them big is that they invented. Napoleon, Genghis Khan, huge catalysts for invention and social reform. Rome grew great because Scipio and others looked at what Hannibal did and learned from it, and revolutionized warfare as a result. Inventions give countries advantages. Inventions in material use, in resource gathering (mining, agriculture, metallurgy etc.), in economy, social fabric, politics, military organization and many other things. But it's hard as hell to stay ahead of the invention curve for centuries. After you've invented something which gives you an advantage, others will start looking to catch up, and they can look at what you've already invented, and one good idea doesn't automatically lead to other similarly good ideas. Rome invented new ways of fighting, new ways of organizing society, new ways of politics, and it gave them an edge. As time went by, these advantages let them conquer others. As time kept going by, many things changed inside their borders, and outside their borders. Their enemies grew more advanced, and Rome itself struggled to come up with enough new inventions to let them gain the upper hand again. Then outside circumstances happened, with huge ethnic immigrations from outside their borders. Rome couldn't handle it, but I don't think Rome could ever have handled it. If it had happened two centuries earlier, I bet the result would've been the same.
Similarly with 20th century England, circumstances were very different from the 19th century. I don't think the 19th century British would've done much better solving the 20th century problems. Even Napoleon grew tired and outdated and eventually lost, as he failed to stay ahead of the curve he himself had once spearheaded.
>>
>>765616
Redpill me on this Dragon Emperor, the way I hear it Cathay was swarmed by skavens and destroyed during End Times but the way he’s being talked about here it seems he could have stopped this and the End Times if he’s judged too OP for a faction leader, when Archaon and Supreme Frog are in.
>>
>>765749
Think of it this way: if he's like the human or elven gods, then did those gods manage to save the world from Chaos? No. Can one entity, no matter how powerful, be everywhere in a huge country the size of the Old World? No, he can be at one place, win any battle in that area, but the enemies are advancing in fifty other places as well.
>>
>>765729
>>765748
Suppose what it boils down to is that constant success requires constant struggle, but most people stuggle to get to the top so they can stop having to fight for everything.
But gamewise, I think CA is going to make the mistake of putting in too many 'cool' monsters, and potentially forget that you need a lot of lower end stuff to make those extra things seems special.
A necrofex colossus doesn't seem half as impressive when next to a dragon a warsphinx a rogue idol etc as it does when its next to simple infantry.
I hope I'm wrong though.
>>
File: 1631581265431.jpg (80 KB, 640x628)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
WILL THERE BE A FUCKING RANDOM MAP/CAMPAIGN GENERATOR?
I'M TIRED OF BEING FORCED TO PLAY OTHER FACTIONS ONCE THE MAIN CAMPAIGN IS OVER.
>>
>>765769
No, that is never going to happen.
>>
>>765769
That feature is being saved for AOS total war.
>>
>>765762
The problem with constant struggle is that just because you have been winning, it doesn't mean you'll keep on winning. If that was the case, then Rome never would've fallen, because Rome was always in conflict, and its late period Emperors were often soldiers.
>>
File: Trols.jpg (339 KB, 1280x720)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
>>765387
>It's like you guys mandela-effected a false memory of Warhammer as some kind of low key, grounded mudcore aesthetic
Because Warhammer Fantasy very clearly has a mudcore aesthetic. Pic related is from a rulebook. Most of the setting is centered on the Old World, which is the Empire, Tilea, Estalia, and Bretonnia. Look at how fantastical and "larger-than-life" their rosters are. Look at how societies are described there - a common theme of the Old World (including Kislev) is normal people fighting against unspeakable monsters. Greenskins, Chaos, and the Vampire Counts all exist to drive this point home.
Then look at Kislev in TWW. Their motifs are bears and ice, and bears and ice. Their streltsy have combi-weapons - which makes no sense, for an impoverished frontier nation. Doubly so when the only canonical faction that has combi-guns are the Chaos Dwarves, who are renowned for their technological expertise.

>That there are people complaining that Kislev and Cathay are too "over the top" as if that's some kind of egregious departure from Warhammer or the TWW series' aesthetic has me wheezing.
You miss the point, then. People aren't saying that Kislev and Cathay are a departure from the TWW series' aesthetic. They're saying that the TWW series' aesthetic is a departure from what Warhammer Fantasy is about.
>>
why anyone even expecting anything of value from warhammer title?
train is gone. we warcraft now
>>
>>765748
>There are absolutely Big Men in history, but if you ask me, what makes them big is that they invented
I would disagree there. Most of them, especially in European History, were great because they understood their times and were able to exploit them. Caesar and Napoleon were great, not because of their innovation, but because they brought their societies into the present. Genghis Khan is another story, but much of his success comes from the accumulation of experience in warfare that the Mongols had - the conquests come less from his innovation, and more from his ability to keep the Mongols unified.

>I don't think the 19th century British would've done much better solving the 20th century problems
If I'm going to be honest, I think they would have done worse. 19th century Britain comes across as a golden age that only occurred because of their work in the 18th century and the fallout of the Napoleonic wars. The First World War ultimately came about because of the Victorian understanding of the world, warfare, and diplomacy, and that was what started the woes of the British Empire.

>>765762
>constant success requires constant struggle, but most people stuggle to get to the top so they can stop having to fight for everything.
Yes, but also no.
When an underdog is fighting for success, cohesion becomes important, and loyalty to the group is a prime virtue. Many of Rome's initial heroes were renowned for their sacrifice and duty, rather than military exploits. When a society reaches the top, the need for that cohesion and unity disappears, and backstabbing and politics start to surface - the guardians of the social order grow lax and arrogant, and the system becomes stale and ineffective.
>>
>>765623
Kislev's whole thing is fighting Chaos invasions and being the Empire's Bro

Cathay's only lore is big wall and Tzeentch cults
>>
>>765831
>we warcraft now
Did I wake up in 2006
>>
>>764866
Warhammer was never medieval fantasy, it was renaissance fantasy
>>
>>765623
>CA says since game 1 they're going to include the whole world map over 3 games
>get mad when they do that
lmao you will not be missed
>>
>>764866
TWW ruined a franchise but not because of gunpowder
>>
>>765616
According to the devs, it's because the Dragon Emperor and Moon Empress are basically demi-gods detached from mortal affairs, so they leave their kids who hate each other in charge of the hands-on stuff which is going to be a source of conflict in the game.
>>
>>765827
>Then look at the Empire in TWW. Their motifs are skulls and comets, and skulls and comets.
Damn, you make a good point.
>>
>>765896
While it is true that TWW completely ignored the cults of Ulric, Taal, and Morr, that applies nowhere near as much. Artillery and steam tanks have no skull imagery, nor comet imagery. And the Imperial Colleges of Magic have barely anything to do with skulls or comets.
The only units that have anything to do with skulls or comets are those from the Cult of Sigmar, knightly orders, and generals. Though the screaming about the Twin-Tailed Comet and the Heldenhammer by state troops can get annoying.
>>
File: 2113.png (1.74 MB, 976x1350)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
>>764866
>Bitching about Gunpowder
>In fucking Warhammer
From the start there's been entire army lists dedicated to the use of guns
>>
>>765900
This. Plus, Warhammer is probably the fantasy setting that implements gunpowder best.
>>
File: 1608817376967.jpg (205 KB, 800x800)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>764769
>>
I'm curious what all the new Legendary Lords will be for Total Warhammer 3 down the line.
>>
>>765837
>but because they brought their societies into the present
That is invention in the way I'm using the word, which may be a bit too broadly. They reformed, revolutionized, remade or whatever else one can call it the social and political structure, among many other things. Genghis did unify the Mongols, but he wasn't the first steppe nomad to do something like that, not by a long shot, but what set him apart was that he remade the fabric of Mongol society and tribal loyalties into something very different, and as he conquered, he actively absorbed knowledge and methods from societies he met or conquered, then he built on that and created a unique model of empire building from what he learned, and unlike most "barbarian hordes" built a lasting empire in lands filled with ethnicities different from his own. Their military experience and extreme discipline of course made it all possible, but if he'd just relied on what was there, he would've failed. Instead he took that experience and remade the Mongol military and social fabric.
"Reform" might be a better word for it the social, economic, political etc. aspects, if you wish. But what I mean is that their success wasn't built on being "good men" but on finding, "inventing" better way of doing things than others. Ceasar, Napoleon and Genghis, they didn't just make good use of what was already there, they reformed what was already there, and made it work better (usually).
>>
File: chin7.jpg (62 KB, 640x644)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>764769
>>
>>765930
Monkey king is probably going to happen, if he wasn't retconned out of existence. Does anyone know when the new army books are supposed to drop? As soon as they do we'll at least have a good idea as to who we can expect to show up
>>
Looks generic and boring desu.
>>
>>765688
Three hours a week, Wang. Remember. Also this game is doomed to be banned in China, they'll find one reason or another.
>>
>>765965
>That is invention in the way I'm using the word, which may be a bit too broadly. They reformed, revolutionized, remade or whatever else one can call it the social and political structure, among many other things
Then it seems we were in agreement. I just find that "invention" credits them with the discovery of the founding ideals, when their successes are often grounded in a long context of their societies. Napoleon's law codes, for example, exist only because of Enlightenment thinking and philosophy that started as early as the 1600s (e.g. Descartes).
>>
>>764834
>wee
>>>/r/eddit
>>
File: oiotkf8uwjc71.jpg (43 KB, 828x820)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>766003
>>
>>765623
meds schizo
>>
>>765888
How can he be missed when he'll be here for years shitposting about how he's finished with the franchise and this general?
>>
>>766024
>and this general?
Oops, this isn't the general, wrong TWW thread. Oh well.
>>
>>764826
It shows off unit and faction design.
>>
>>765104
>Low Fantasy
Magic is relatively rare in most civilisations, it's used but it's not common enough to have a significant impact on the life of average people so life and technology can be easily compared to a historical time period
>High Fantasy
Magic is common and powerful, and has a significant impact. The lives of people can be compared to a time period but the technology will likely be very different as magic enables standards of living above what the technology of the time could, and or stunts technological progress. Or augments it resulting in magictech shit although that's almost it's own genre.

It's not hard bro. There's more magical people's in Warhammer although it does follow, especially for the Human nations, the general traits of low fantasy.
Just because your low fantasy doesn't mean you can't have skeleton empires and mighty magic elf nations.

Some random examples, Witcher low fantasy, Warcraft High, Elder Scrolls High, LOTR Low(In the third age at least, don't know much about the rest of the lore).
>>
>>766042
>LOTR Low
LOTR is just mythological in scope the whole way through. Each age has less magic than the previous, since the First Age was defined entirely by the Valar, who are god-like beings. Most of the Silmarillion is in the Second Age, where you have Elves go toe-to-toe with these Valar and even men can kill dragons single-handed. But even the Third Age features magic heavily (especially among Elves and Gondor), though it's more subtle in nature.

Low/high fantasy applies mainly to modern RPG settings. That's why most of your other examples work (though I would say that the Witcher has some high fantasy/folklore aspects to it that differentiate it from "low fantasy")
>>
>>766042
>LOTR Low(In the third age at least, don't know much about the rest of the lore).
Everything I've heard about the before times of LOTR sounds absolutely nuts, down to geographic features being shifted and used as fortifications in the ongoing war.
>>
>>766045
>though I would say that the Witcher has some high fantasy/folklore aspects to it that differentiate it from "low fantasy"
Yeah the witcher is a bit more in the middle upon examination, even if on the outside it looks more low.
It's a bit of an odd one, personally I usually use magic and mages rather than just fantastical things to determine the height of fantasy. But the Witcher does have a lot of curses and mystical things going on.
On the other hand that might just be a consequence of who you play and where you go in the Witcher. You run into most of the magic individuals every game and are naturally seeking curses and bad shit. I remember Witcher 1 being a bit more lacking in magic, although still had it's fair share.

Haven't read the books so couldn't comment on what it's like in them.
>>
>>765344
Games workshop and or Creative Assembly deserves painful deaths for fucking up streltsy, nothing else matters.
>>
>>765374
Theres a gameplay trailer showing a bunch of units and their whole roster has been revealed.
>>
File: flatfrog.jpg (3 KB, 124x125)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>764753
Tzeentch units are hype
Cathay units are meh
>>
>>765900
They have balloon mounted 50-cal machine guns in Warhammer?
>>
>>766064
Machine guns and airships both exist in warhammer, as do nuclear weapons, video calls and submarines as well.
>>
File: doggoposting.jpg (73 KB, 612x612)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>766066
>video calls
kek
>>
File: Rat patrol.png (973 KB, 600x897)
973 KB
973 KB PNG
>>766073
Truly the Skaven are the most mighty and advanced race in the warhammer world.
>>
File: 23424.jpg (52 KB, 512x385)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>766064
Yes, you retard.
Anything you might be whining about has already been done and more by either the dorfs or the skaven.
>>
>>764866
>zeppelins
Those tiny hot air balloons aren't zeppelins

This is a zeppelin lad.
>>
Get back to your containment general on /vg/ you fucking furfag degenerates
>>
>>766098
/pol/ is raiding it right now
>>
>>764943
Isn't the technical distinction between low and high fantasy that low fantasy occurs on earth while high fantasy occurs on a separate universe? So like marvel would be low fantasy while tolkien is high fantasy.
>>
>>765086
>>765092
Could very much see it as a dynamic similar to the troy one with priam and hector.

>>765100
Almost certainly. He's unique enough that you can give potentially justify a partially combined roster like arkhan and a great opportunity to give him unique campaign mechanics separate from the sibling drama. It screams dlc.
>>
>>764753
No bikini armor no fun
>>
>>766115
Amazons should be added as a minor faction in Lustria
>>
>>766117
They should hire me as the guy that decides the art direction of the game.
>>
>>765608
>>765616
>>765749
>>765751
This just proves Warhammer as a setting was always just edgy gay-parody world and requires tons of mental gymnastics and jumping through hoops to make a lick of sense.
>>
File: CATHAY.webm (2.86 MB, 1280x528)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>765749
It's retcon obviously and he was never intended to be so powerful until now so none of past lore world threatening events will make sense now. Whether it's Storm of Chaos, the End Times or even creation of the Great Vortex.

Him being god tier is stupidly retarded AoS style design.
>>
>>764826
all of your statements are already proven false
>>
>>766110
The discussion is about if a faction fits Total War Warhammer 3 you absolute mongoloid.
>>
>>764964
>NOOO WHY KISLEV ISNT A RESKIN OF THE EMPIRE
>>
>>765344
>Kislev has been flanderized to a comical level

GOOD, warhammer has always been about extremes
>>
>>764753
>its another game where "aerial" combat is locked to a 2d plane
>pepe sad.jpg
just give me the giant world map. quit fucking around.
>>
Ind and Nippon too pls
>>
>>766187
I think Ind has a real chance at getting in, Nippon will depend on how far east they stretch the map
>>
>>766206
If they stretch the map I could see Nippon coming right after Chorfs.
>>
>>766206
I could see Nippon just being a single skaven island territory for Clan Eshin.
>>
>>766206
no nippon, it would interfere with the kowtow to china
>>
>>766110
Lmao shut up you powerless bitch
>>
>>766110
Poor little histoid crying all alone.
>>
File: 161240941784.jpg (268 KB, 965x685)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>764753
>>
>>766187
>>766206
>upsetting the chinese market
Oh you sweet summer child
>>
>>766226
>>766215
You guys are idiots, China regularly consumes Japanese anime shit.
>>
>>766215
Eh, honestly I think they would take more issue with Ind, since they have border clashes with them.
>>766226
Truth be told the biggest road block to fantasy India showing up is IRL India, I recall a pajeet anon a while back said that CA wouldn't touch it because India throws a shitfit whenever their folklore/religious imagery appears in western fiction and don't want to deal with it.
>>
>>764943
Absolutely retarded opinion. I hope this was bait
>>
>>766064
Dwarf War Balloons and Thunderbarges say hello.
>>
>>766111
I know that Zhao The Iron Dragon has been sniffing some warpstone, got a constantly growing cabal of sorcerers and Miao and the rest are actually worried over him.
>>
>>766227
These /pol/ zoomers don't know shit about shit, they only believe things which confirm their bias, then they exaggerate those things for fun and end up believing their own exaggerations. Total corruption of the brain.
>>
File: carrying the team.jpg (1.04 MB, 3200x2400)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>
File: 1616117390981.jpg (71 KB, 1017x785)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>766222
I've never understood why anons complain about factions or characters they don't like being added to their games. Like if they hate china so much shouldn't they be glad they get to murder some cathay changs playing as tzeentch or whatever?
>>
File: 1629034064343.jpg (37 KB, 720x418)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>766348
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with that. Adding mlp faction wouldn't be bad either for atmosphere of game, after all you would be able to just le kill them

Also add nazis. So what that they are too modern? If you don't like them they can be killed anyway.
>>
>>766108
Nobody ever used those terms in such retarded way, save for pretentious retards who read that Wikipedia article
>>
>>765387
CA utterly ruined Warhammer atmosphere with quips, meme characters and units, bad color palette and bloated unit rosters since they fully embraced Radious approach of game design. They realized players would buy any dlc with new units, no matter how redundant and not fitting for faction they are. Especially if they add le ebin monsterino all redditors and ecelebs will have their mouths over it so now every faction gets some big monster despite it not fitting their playstyle and they make a point of making them roar in every single fucking trailer.

First Vermintide, Mark of Chaos, med2 mod and Mordheim are how Warhammer should feel like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ua2pP31yE
>>
>>766258
>India thtows a shitfit over their folklore
I don't remember the outrage over Asura's Wrath.
>>
File: 1614831401883.png (1.67 MB, 1458x1977)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>766443
But they're not adding an mlp or nazi faction though? You're talking like I'm some kind of asshat anon. I mean of course I agree with you that if CA adds random wacky factions and shit it would be bad. But isn't Cathay in the original lore? We've already got kraut humans, french humans and slav humans in the game, so adding ching chong humans now is not that outlandish. I didn't say it's okay to add bullshit to the game just because we could just le kill them. I was saying that, as long as it fits the settings, adding factions you don't like is not a bad thing because now you have an adversary to play against.
>>
>>766332
DAMMIT FRANZ!!! STOP PULLING OFF THIS FESTIVAL OF RIDICULE AND HELP OUT HERE!!
>>
>trailer looks like something a 12-year-old would find cool
>thread has almost 0 talk about gameplay
>instead a bunch of people are sperging about dumb looking fantasy aircraft
So this is the power of fantasoys.
>>
>>766523
>thread has almost 0 talk about gameplay
Everyone already knows what the gameplay is like, there's nothing to talk about.
>>
>>766523
>>thread has almost 0 talk about gameplay
Maybe when we get actual unit stats to work with we can. Otherwise we only have "they're a defensive faction" to work with.
>>
>>766443
You might actually be retarded
>>
>>766108
That makes absolutely no sense. Whoever came up with and shills that definition is a retard.
>>
>>766507
>But isn't Cathay in the original lore?
A bit yeah, although they appear fairly different to how I remember them being described in Warhammer Fantasy back in the day.
>>
>>766881
They were always described as Fantasy China and being a mighty empire ruled by dragons that never was involved in any plot because they are on the other side of the planet from the Old World past the mountains.

They at least got more description than Nippon, which was just that place where the Skaven learned how to be ninjas from.
>>
>>764866
>medieval fantasy
>Warhammer
bro are you retarded
it's Renaissance era fantasy
>>
>>766446
>>766875
I'm just asking. Its not a distinction I like, since urban fantasy basically then is 90% of what low fantasy would be but that's what I was told the terms meant.
>>
>>766452
>mordheim
That was a pretty good game. Had so much potential too. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't talked about much here on /vst/. For me it's basically a better battle brother that captures the warhammer atmostphere very well.
>>
Is the Moon Empress in the original lore, or is she a CA invention.
>>766452
Med 2 mod is so much better than TWW, the battles actually feel like battles, and they don't end in 5 minutes, and best of all there are actual animations for combat, rather than just flying kicks.
>>
>>766458
Nah, but they did for Smite
>>
>>766085
>>766096
>>
>>764753
i hate you warhammer fags so much
>>
>>767184
Jealousy is unattractive.
>>
>>766523
You're either profoundly stupid or baiting.
>>
>>767040
>Moon Empress
I hope she wears a qipao and you can see her fuckin delicious pale Chinese ass
>>
File: 1593128220263.jpg (110 KB, 600x1013)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>765616
>>765749
>>765894
>"How do we solve the problem of this corner that we have deliberately written ourselves into?"
>"I know, let's make these too-powerful characters into retards. No one ever notices when writers do this."
>>
>>766108
>high fantasy occurs on a separate universe
>tolkien is high fantasy
Presuming you're talking about the stories set in Middle-Earth, then no: because Middle-Earth is one part a continent on the world of Arda, which is our actual Earth before recorded history began. The pretence of The Lord of The Rings is that it's Tolkien's own translation of a discovered relic; the Red Book of Westmarch, revealing the unknown history of Earth.
>>
>>767311
>that image
What?
>>
>>767345
>>767311
>In 1983, the nations of the world agreed to the Oslo Disarmament, severely limiting the size of nuclear arsenals. However, this led to a proliferation of biological and chemical weapons.
>By the early 1990s a fanatical Irish nationalist government had declared war on the UK, conquered Northern Ireland, and expelled the Protestants from that region. In August 1992, Irish commandos introduced LSD into the water supplies of much of the UK. Under the influence of the drug, the Prime Minister and Parliament ordered the use of nuclear weapons against Ireland and her allies, South Africa and China. The Commonwealth backed the UK in the emerging World War III, and the United States joined the British side after Chinese missiles, targeting the Canadian Great Plains, struck inside the US. By this time widespread biological warfare was in effect, with missile-born pathogens targeting both agriculture and human populations. One week after the beginning of the war, China invaded the Soviet Union. Israel remained the only major neutral great power. By the end of 1992, half of the world's population was dead; 90% had perished from plague and famine by 1994.
>Later, Texas declared independence from the United States as the Second Republic of Texas; due to Texas' large oil reserves and refineries its recovery was an important strategic objective. During negotiations in Oklahoma City, U.S. President Clairewood was kidnapped by Texas Rangers and held captive in Texas, while the United States languished under the heavy-handed but ineffective leadership of Vice President William Mallow. War between the two nations continued; a Texan offensive into Louisiana in May 1999 was repulsed, but only after war crimes were committed by Texan forces operating under the command of the Sons of the Alamo, a radical paramilitary group.
>>
File: What in the goddamn.jpg (107 KB, 1024x768)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>767381
>>
>>767381
Hang on, Texas is the bad guy?
>>
>>765623
How can you be racist or xenophobic when I bet you probably hate most of your fellow white neighbors, school mates and coworkers, and have more in common with freaks, geeks and nerds of all kinds on the internet?
>>
>>765623
You know absolutely nothing about Warhammer you clown. You being "done" with it is a blessing.
>>
>>767381
I love how all of these alt history scenarios have Ireland conquering Northern Ireland from the UK.
The Irish barely have a military, they can't conquer anything.
They might get the north through demographics or through guerrilla warfare, but their army aren't going to manage.
>>
>>765623
Anon, I'm sorry to break it to you, but warhammer was never about that, it was about you buying miniature toys to have pretend battles with all this time, it was always about it, its not fucking LOTR
>>
File: Old Khopesh.jpg (102 KB, 1200x1055)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>CA and GW already saying they won't touch Araby
>>
File: 1589479896660.jpg (422 KB, 750x650)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>767040
>CA invention
CA didn't invent shit, GW is taking the credit over everything new. If you think this is anything other than a big brain move by GW to sell new miniatures you're sorely mistaken.
>>
File: 1549992325853.jpg (134 KB, 800x1067)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>767040
All those factions are designed by GW and will be in their new miniature game that will be called The Old World or something like this. They are done by those same people that do AoS and nu40k of course so that's why Kislev and Cathay look so off.

I'm almost certain you will be able to use those models to play AoS too. >inb4 Tzaangors are in roster of Tzeentch because nobody still wants to buy them, so they need to be everywhere and better promoted.
>>
>>764943
Yeah the army of Aztec Lizard people led by their Frog Shaman fighting against the Undead Skeleton Egyptians and the Rat people was pretty low fantasy, practically real life
>>
>>767323
>The pretence of The Lord of The Rings is that it's Tolkien's own translation of a discovered relic; the Red Book of Westmarch, revealing the unknown history of Earth.
Yeah, but everyone ignores that because it's stupid and cringe.
>>
>>766881
If countries have names like Araby, Cathay, Ind and Nippon, there is no need to expand the lore for anyone to recognize what they probably are about, specially when they are localized exactly where Araby, Cathay, India and Nihon are on the real world map.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.