[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: PA.1.png (1.03 MB, 1364x768)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
Does anyone else here enjoy SWEAW?

Currently checking out the Thrawn's Revenge mod
>>
>>759938
No I don’t. I don’t enjoy any Disney films or products.
>>
>>759942
It's a game from the early 2000s you nerd. Are you sure that you aren't a little princess ?
>>
>>759947
If I was a princess then you’d be one of my scullery maids and I’d take big runny dumps in my chamber pot and then watch you scrub it clean
>>
>>759962
lel
>>
>>759938
I truly despise ground battles in that game though.
>>
File: Coruscant_Campaign.jpg (372 KB, 1120x1200)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
>>759938
>>759942
The expanded universe had a lot of problems (really precious with movie characters, general autism and sturgeon's law)
But the general concept of the Imperial Civil War/New Republic Era was extremely kino
Man fuck The Mouse
>>
Empire at War is a really good casual game that's made timeless by mods. The fact the TR and AotR teams are still going today astounds me, especially with the ongoing massive plans TRs team has.
>>
>>760444
>ongoing massive plans TRs team has
Where can I find these plans?
>>
File: 1613131272006.png (107 KB, 1767x596)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>760483
Factions planned most likely will never finish all of them but nice to think about: https://youtu.be/1GkwwTZM2p4
Imperial Warlord space and ground roster reworks for 3.2: https://youtu.be/0FKc_QI5pF0
https://youtu.be/pc7tFvNx5Ug
CSA Ship Market: https://youtu.be/OXA9hbed-Hg
Along with the general points for the next version in 3.2 having released Hapes as a faction again with a fully realized roster with their core canonical ships and new designs they made based on their theme like they did with the Empire of the Hand. Along with the general bomber reworks and economic changes that are coming in Fall of the Republic as well.
>>
>>760483
>>
SWEAW Remake is the best space overhaul so far. I just hate that they took out all ground combat so it's just a space game
>>
>>760512
And added on to that, they are also behind the Fall of the Republic mod and have Kotor and Galactic civil war mods in the works.
>>
Just started a new hard difficulty Empire campaign in AotR mod. Probably the biggest issues at the beginning are money and that you are getting raped from all directions.
>>
Is there a mod or something to disable ground combat?
>>
>>760444
It might actually happen. The petroglyph patch that made most of this stuff possible and the added steam workshop support has really given mods more attention and momentum recently. If they could last up till now, its not a huge leap to assume they will last longer.
>>
>>762786
>>760808
>>
Do any mods have prequel era politics? I figured that would be some fun shit.
>>
>>764274
I think fall of the republic has some political elements but from what I can recall it is more like a side-feature. Planets have influence levels and if they get too low they'll switch sides or something. >>760512 this guy would probably know more than me.
>>
Is there a thrawn's revenge style mod set during the original trilogy? I know of awakening of the rebellion but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm talking something with the same scale as thrawns revenge/fall of the republic both strategically and tactically.
>>
>>764274
Fall of the Republic has a government system for the Republic and CIS but as the other anon mentioned they are more side features atm. The Republic has a naval commander system which lets you choose a Sector Commander and three Admirals as major space heroes, along with missions that increase your influence in the Senate to the point you can support Palpatine or Mon Mothma if you max it out. It's hard to max out in early era gcs though or historical ones and they have mentioned they'll adjust it in the future. The CIS meanwhile can incorporate their subfactions and gain their territory/new heroes through either completing similar missions or paying money to a specific faction.
>>764285
Thrawn's Revenge is set in the post-Endor Galactic Civil War period up to right before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion currently. The EaWX team is making a post-PT to OT era mod in Imperial Reign that'll come out in 2-3 years at the rate they're going currently kek
>>
>>764313
>that'll come out in 2-3 years at the rate they're going currently

weird, I would've thought it'd be the easiest one to make considering most of the assets already exist.
>>
I like the space battles but I hate ground battles. Apparently that's normal.
>>
>>764322
A lot of the assets they're making for FotR and Thrawn's Revenge can be put it in but according to Corey a lot of work for Imperial Reign will be background and event coding, compared to Revan's Revenge which is relatively simple outside of making new ship and ground assets just for it. They want to simulate the strategic and military aspects of organizing parts of the Empire or the distinct Rebel cells before they unify across right from the end of the Clone Wars to the end of the OT. desu it sounds far too ambitious for what Empire at War can even simulate in an engaging matter but that's their choice.
>>
File: 27372.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>playing thrawns revenge as remnant
>probe droid spots ackbar supported only by a couple frigates close by
>send fleet in, just send in a single star destroyer alone as the forward scout
>map features asteroids making a sort of 'valley' in the center of the map with clear space on either side
>point my SD at the mouth of the 'valley'
>ackbars fleet moves to engage
>wait until he reaches the center of the valley
>have 5 SD's enter hyperspace in front of him and 3 behind him, along with support ships on either side
>ships to the rear melt his engines so he cant get away
>fleet melts him within 30 seconds
>>
>>759938
I love it. Still actively play it and it's amazing a game from 2006 has not only an incredibly active modding scene but its largest and most ambitious mods have been made in the past few years.
>>
>>760936
I dream of the day that EaW will actually get a decent Kotor mod that's complete.
>>
>>764693
Thrawns Revenge team is working on one.
>>
>>764699
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib_YiGuOsdg

Thank you for making my day, anon.
>>
File: 2021-08-28_7.png (491 KB, 620x381)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
>no mention of EAW Remake

https://www.moddb.com/mods/empire-at-war-re/videos/20-t3-b-vs-25-tx-130#imagebox

Man is now fixing ground battles.
>>
>>764917
I've heard a lot of people say that ground battles are bad in comparison to space battles, but I always preferred ground battles to the space battles.

Anyone mind sharing what they feel makes them broken?
>>
I would play it again if the campaign only consisted of space battles. The land ones make me want to push rail spikes down my brain.
>>
>>759989
I like how forces of corruption sort of fixed parts of it by having there be corruption ground missions that are less like battles.
>>
>>765183
Not broken, just dull and simplistic. Awakening of the rebellion mod did an alright job of making them more engaging however.
>>
>>765183
people don't like a slow crawl for defense pads and command posts with braindead early 2000s ai with dogshit animations. especially when attacker wins 90% of battles by sitting and doing nothing until airstrikes and orbital bombardments
>>
>>765183
As well as the gameplay reasons already mentioned, the big draw (in terms of strategy games) of Star Wars is space battles and people want to play with the same iconic things they saw in the movies. Some people might be into Star War's ground combat, I guess, but the trilogy doesn't really provide enough material, so having a roster made up of mostly made-up stuff that wasn't in the movies doesn't offer any attractiveness even if you happen to really like Star Wars ground combat. Personally, I think it also doesn't make sense that space superiority doesn't just net you a win by default with no fuss.
>>
>>766285
i would say TCW was 50/50 space/Ground combat and everyone lpves the geonosis, umbara, kamino battles. I feel eaw ground battles suffer from the same jank as universe at war earth assault, units feel too disjointed and floaty, like control a bunch of geometry shapes on a flat ground.
>>
>>766285
I don't mind that space isn't an auto win, since bombing is generally not that effective at doing much more than knocking down buildings but I do think the bombing runs should have been much stronger, and there should have been a tangible benefit to having space superiority like extra reinforcement points or a battle timer for rebellion sneak attacks (wait to long and the spaceships just land with too many troops to overcome kind of thing). But yeah there's not enough material in the movies for all the land combat rosters, and that does hurt it.
>>
>>766158
Pretty much this. Ground combat feels more like a shitty tower defense that has zero to none variety between the planets. All those corridor type of maps want me to rip my dick off when I see AT-AT doing 180 degree turn because one squad is blocking the path.
>>
Instead of disabling ground combat, modders should replace it with some other gameplay mechanic. a TBS of some sort, or maybe a miniature grand strategy game.
>>
>>767993
EAWx is going in the right direction with the freespawn units from command points. I think a transition into a sort of tug of war game would be a lot better than what we have now and fits the half assed tower defense aspect with the defense posts really well
>>
>>759938
Has there been an update to the remake mod yet? I've been waiting on ground combat forever
>>
>>765183
Beng on the offensive sucks because infinite garrisons can and will be an absolute cancer to deal with, unless you just wait for airstrike/orbital to make it less painful, being on the defence sucks because lol airstike/orbital bombardemnt, unit pathfinding is dog shit and units are completely unresponsive, some maps are generally made to be painful meatgrinders like Mon Calamari with bottlenecked base area + 8 dwellings shitting out militia or Endor where you can be wiped out literally as you start the ground assault if an MPTL arty is present as a garrison unit, vanilla game is laughably scewed towards rebels with pretty much zero good units on the Empire roster.
>>
The new Assertor SSD model for TR is shown here, looks really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6c5h03TOZs
>>
File: gunships.jpg (58 KB, 1024x539)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>765183
ground battles are not interesting because the AI is particularly braindead. Takes forever to finish ground battles on many maps because they're big but empty, so you spend 5 minutes simply walking to a point of interest. To top it all off, the ground units are extremely ugly with terrible animations and sounds. It's just generally unpleasant to sit through. Long ago I just decided spam basic infantry into giga-deathballs and autoresolve all ground battles so I'd never have to play them again. Many mods have tried to fix them, but there just isn't enough control over the game engine to fix it.
>>
>>770994
I've had a lot of fun with the Fall of the Republic Ground battles. The new maps combined with the ai improvements remove a good amount of the tedium and the models are much more aesthetic. Kashyyyk is probably my favorite and they did a great job capturing the feeling of a beach defense.
>>
>>759938
Yes it's great
Ran like trash on computers when it came out since gaming PCs basically weren't a thing
If you could run it without 5-10 minute load times per mission you would have great fun
>>
>>771041
did they make air units and commandos not total dogshit?
>>
>>774999
LAATs and HMP Gunships are OP as fuck for both Republic and CIS. Clone Commandos are really great, I don't care for the Commando Droids that much but they're good anti-infantry, the Crab Droids are all around better on average though imo.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.