[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: capsule_616x353.jpg (112 KB, 616x353)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
This is out on steam today, thinking of buying it.

I know some of you have played it, I really like Rome 2 so figure I might give this a shot.
What are your thoughts?
>>
i'm mostly interested in it for the 'mythos' dlc, looks like fun
>>
>>750448
The base game is fine. Its a competent TW game but has nothing to really pull you into multiple campaigns other than the whole trojan vs greek thing, so maybe you play one or two on each side if that.

Mythos seems fun, and could be an interesting spin on making a fantasy TW game that isn't set in a place with tons of different races.

The historical mode I'm less optimistic about, I expect it will essentially be a test run to see if a lot of the more "modern" mechanics from 3k and TWWH can play in a historical title. Could be good, and at minimum comes with the base game.
>>
It's a cut-down version of what Rome 2 SHOULD have been. Doesn't have as many features but at least they all work.

I like the new resource system but gold is too hard to get because the AI stripmines it too fast.
>>
>>750693
I like TWR2 a lot and the choices for factions was really nice, especially with DEI, does Troy have more than just those 2 factions?

The best part for games for me is the mechanics, the politics, and the world building you can create
>>
i'm having fun with it
>>
>>750448
got all the usual problems any post warhammer tw has. shit balance and exploity as fuck gameplay. it doesn't even look half as good as the warhammer games do either so I have no idea who could enjoy this.
>>
>>750788
touch grass volound
>>
>>750797

lol that retard commie lives rent free in your head, moron
>>
>>750788
But you could say that for every TW game
>>
>>750448
I literally bought it for the Amazons. Specifically because they can promote troops which should have been a thing for a long time.

Plan to play them again. Is good that the Mythos adds flying harpies since there was basically zero reason to get Truth behind the Myth harpies as amazons.
>>
>>750448
I really liked the Troy's resouce system and the sacrificing to the gods looked like it has potential. It's a shame that everything else is so shitty. As soon as the the Troyan war begins, everything turns into "guess where the next army will sail out of the fog of war and sack your city the same turn". Very immersive to have 10 AI factions shit out full stacks of 20s every turn and send them over to you, where they kamikaze into some settlement before you catch up with them the next turn and they die. The most battles I fought in this game were settlement garrisons vs invaders, always the same composition for my defending army, always the same shitty caverns settlement map and always the same, drawn out strat to beat a much larger aggressor. It got old quickly.
>>
>>750448
I like that it has a more diverse economy system
>>
>>750448
The battles in this game are so trash. Everything just devolves into slow ass infantry chasing archers all over the map. Even the chariots are slow.
>>
got it for free on the chink store
have they fixed the resource system so it can't be cheesed? haven't played since I got it. plus only reason I'll come back to it is when a mod is made that deletes the women.
>>
>>750699
Not really. One of the Amazons kinda does her own thing, but both of them are under the troy banner. Honestly though I wouldn't be shocked to see more factions pop up in a dlc, but obviously you'd be better off waiting until that actually happens.
>>
>>751051
You have to go on the offensive, otherwise this will just happen forever. The huge water between the two sides is just too much room to hide stacks, its better to start island hopping asap so you can control where the enemy stacks will pop up since they prioritize your closest settlements.
>>
>>753075
The amazons were mentioned in the illiad
>>
I'll play TW when the AI is able to fight battles.
>>
File: 1621148294245.png (2.31 MB, 1235x1084)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB PNG
>>753075
The Amazonians are mentioned in the Iliad, and in the sequel of the Homeric Epics, they are a part of the war. This has nothing to do with an agenda you think you're enlightening everyone about. If you actually cared about correct representation in the Iliad, you would complain that the Mythical units should not be present in the game, considering they are not in the poem.
Maybe stop browsing pol for 5 minutes and actually make an informed decision based on your own research for once.
>>
>>753075
Just kill them yourself if you hate them so much.
>>
What campaigns, mythos or otherwise, are the most fun? Even if you think it's a shitty TW, which start would you say has the best chance of the player finishing a game? Briefly tried the "truth behind the myth" Agamemnon and ran out of interest very quickly.
>>
>>750448
>I really like Rome 2
Lol
>>
>>750448
I have hundreds of hours in Rome 2 DEI and imo troy is the absolute worst TW game, a steaming turd.
>>
>>753902
>>753911
I don't give a fuck about the Iliad or accurate representation you simp cuck. it's a game therefore I can have whatever onion or taste about it I want right? that's the logic you cucks use right?
>hurr durr it's a game so women have to be there it doesn't have to be realistic
you can't have your cake and eat it too. it's a game therefore nothing matters therefore if I don't like women in it I don't have to get on my knees and suck your dick about it I can have whatever viewpoint I want you faggot nigger and my viewpoint is I'm tired of seeing women in military capacities I don't give a fuck whether it was mentioned in the myth I don't play the game for the myth I play it for the era in the timeline. so keep your simp shit to yourself if you would prefer a game comprised entirely of women that's you're prerogative.
I will never understand how the same people who stand on a soapbox and preach about understanding and moral superiority are the same people who are so vicious and straight cunts to anyone who doesn't share the exact same onions as them. I don't give a fuck about your tastes in games or how you think they should be. I don't want niggers or women in any game regardless of the authenticity of it.
>>
>>753920
impossible to do before the big war starts as I like to play as Odysseus and the women always declare themselves as my rival. I believe that happens around turn 50. you cannot destroy them before that point in 50 turns.
>>
>>754795
>>754790
Bet you love that the Greeks had a female goddess who represented war.
>>
>>754790
>don't have to get on my knees and suck your dick
You'd clearly like it though
>>
>>750448
It's too complicated, like RPG levels of stupid level complicated. Just got play Sparta campaign R2

also
>not getting it for free day 1
inb4 muh epic gamestore
>>
>>753075
>not liking amazon mommy
Too bad she is the horde faction tho.
>>
File: 1563855321293.jpg (32 KB, 700x700)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>754790
>have whatever onion and taste
>the exact same onions
>>
>>754790
Fuck off newfag election tourist
>>
>>754790
>I don't want elements of mythology in an era known because of its ties to Greek mythology because they're women
>It's not history even though the Amazons have legit historical basis
Damn bro you just went absolute full retard
>>
>>757379
>>757535
don't care. don't care about authenticity. this is what you cucks don't get.
>ha! see you have to like women because it's a fantasy game!
>ha! see you have to like women because women existed therefore it's historically accurate!
>ha! see you have to like women because of mythology!
>NOT MY HECKIN FEMALERINOS
don't care. don't give a shit about whether it's historically accurate, whether it's fantasy or not, don't even care if women existed. don't want em.
>>
>>757970
It's a game, not a homo simulator
>>
>>757038
Look for woman with small eyes
In big eyes is the devil
And strong legs for love making
>>
So what does it do that the WH entries don't do?
I'm curious about it because I like the myth idea, but at the same time I can get more fantastical units over in the other one, at least seemingly. So what about systems or other things?
>>
>>754790
>>757970
>not wanting to fuck an amazon
Are yuo gay?
>>
File: file.png (52 KB, 418x106)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
This is actually kind of surprising to me. I thought Troy was par for the course for CA releases, and that the paypiggies would lap it up since it's basically WH but with shinier graphics.
>>
gonna play it when a crack is out.
no way im paying full price+dlc for this bullshit
>>
>>759202
its because WH kiddies dont play much outside of WH. its not a real history game despite the tacked on "history" mode same as with 3K. however, unlike 3K, it doesnt have the chink audience to boost its numbers so thats why its numbers are so poor.
>>
>>759396
The chinese were the ones reviewbombing 3k though. The english reviews never dipped below mostly positive. And comparing 3k to troy, they're the same level of 'historic'.
>>
>>759396
>its numbers are so poor.
Um sweetums you're forgetting the S E V E N M I L L I O N.
>>
>>759202
The battles are terrible in Troy. They might be the least fun battles that I've ever experienced in any Total War game.
>>
>>759398
I was thinking of player numbers but the chinese review bombing is due to CA shenanigans. Troy has a 4k peak lol, its pretty bad and shows that WH people are mostly in it for WH and unless they can mend things over with the chinese with 3k2, they need to do a proper history game right.
>>
>>750448
Have they fixed the fucking warscape engine so that units dont do one on one duels yet? How the fuck can they release 4+ games (i stopped buying them after rome 2) with this game breaking shit
>>
>>762328
Yes they had to for Warhammer. It's still a dogshit engine, but several bandaids have been applied.
>>
>>755131
>completely disregards the post to be even more soi
pottery
>>
>>762666
They seriously fixed it? You can no get multiple men attacking one guy now so that flanking a unit actually works? I might check out troy then
>>
>>751042
Nice, I've had the Amazon DLC for a year and never touched it
I might have to try them out
>>
>>764438
That's been in for a long time
What we get now is entire units running through enemy units like their shieldwall isn't even there.
>>
>>764553
Super easy to fix. Equalize their masses in battle_entities and they can't push shit.
>>
>>765192
Didn't know about that.
I'll have to add a no mass mod alongside my no morale mod too
>>
>>765563
Why no morale?
>>
>>765612
Just get tired of the enemy army routing in 2 minutes
>>
>>765618
Yeah fair enough. Routing is how battles are won but it is too quick.
>>
Got it for free off epic.

I think it's mediocre at best. Bronze age warfare just isn't that interesting compared to the other total wars. The mythic units don't make up for it. If you want heroic psudo-history then three kingdoms does it better. If you want fantasy then total war is what you want.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.