[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: owb_hoi4.png (503 KB, 512x512)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
Been playing Old World Blues for HoI4 again lately since I didn't really play a whole lot when I picked it up about a year ago, out of all the nations, which are some interesting ones that aren't the NCR, Caeser's Legion, or the Texan Brotherhood? I was doing a game as the TAA, but I wound up getting spitroasted by the Republic of Texas and Santa Anna while I was in a war against the Rio Grande Republic.

Any recommended division templates in here? I feel like only tanks really offer a significant amount of breakthrough for attacking, or Special Forces but those are pretty limited.
>>
I hate this AI Defense mechanic in Mexico
>>
>>750083
You think this thread is gonna need 500 posts to answer your question and discuss a mod for a game that already has multiple threads, or could you perhaps make a post in one of those threads and have your retarded question answered just as easily?
>>
>>750083
you could try playing as New Vegas or the Mojave brotherhood
>>
>>750090
I was really hoping for discussion on this particular mod without attempting to commandeer another mod's thread. I understand the frustration for those who do not like Hearts of Iron, but with the lack of a thread encompassing all mods of HoI4, there was no where else really to make it.

Plus, I don't expect to be the only one asking questions about aspects of the mod, and seeing as there's already been three posts in the past 20 minutes, it looks like there will be quite a bit of activity in here.
>>
>>750083
Check out the small tags north-west of the NCR, the mormon nations and the greenhouse themed AI-"goddess" somewhere around Vulpe's Legion, I forgot her name. I didn't play all of them, obviously, but the ones I did were fun and what I saw from the rest looked like they had decent mission trees and a nice background lore, too.

Vulpe's legion should be fun, too, but the one time I tried them I got roflstomped by some tech faction when I deviated from the mission tree and fabricated my own claims.
>>
>>750098
I forgot about Diana, that could be an interesting choice. My last game, she actually managed to woo Lanius and form a faction with him, but then they took on Caeser and lost horribly.

It looks like a lot of the north/northwest of the NCR have a religious theme to them, I saw one nation up there that was attempting to go on a crusade. Perhaps I'll give them or the Washington Brotherhood a try since I've never played in that region.

I tried to play WARDEN as the Hangdogs, but unless I cheese it and disband most of the Hangdogs' armies, I just get stomped since it only spawns eight divisions to work with, not even enough to form a good defensive line anywhere.
>>
>>750083
New Vegas are always fun.
>>
>>750125
Where exactly does New Vegas's mission tree go? I figured House always just wanted to build up New Vegas itself and mostly just exploit the surrounding factions, but does he actually start venturing out into the wasteland?
>>
File: dissapointed goat.png (103 KB, 482x382)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>750083
>OWB
>Not FODD
>>
File: truth.jpg (197 KB, 1200x1159)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>750097
>but with the lack of a thread encompassing all mods of HoI4
that's because pic related happens every time that gets tried.
>>
>>750287
>One is a meme mod for GoY$, based on content of a meme game
>The other is older than average GoY$ player
... and you're in any way surprised?
>>
Can anyone tell me the purpose of Militia units compared to infantry? Sure, they use only about three quarters of the guns to make, but they also only have three quarters of the stats of infantry.

At least with Enforcers being strictly better infantry it comes with the cost of a significant IC investment, militia vs infantry costs are absolutely trivial.
>>
>>750307

Its for garrisoning plus you can throw up a bunch for cheap to defend coastlines from naval invasions or whatever
>>
>>750290
Did they finally add more horse nations? Haven't played it for years, but the fact that they dedicated an entire continent for griffons was fucking disgusting.
>>
Does this need dlcs?
>>
>>750129
The other factions will eventually declare war on you through their focuses
>>
>>750083
Twin mothers is probably the most interesting nation in the mod and their goals and style of play is different from any other country. Not to mention that their lore is incredibly interesting and unique.
>>
>>750083
My advice to anyone that wants to play any mod. Check the files beforehand so you know what nations have trees.But to OWB, Oregon was pretty fun, I liked playing as the bonedancers, something about being an unapologetic warlord is refreshing when every other leader is a robot or some quirky personality.
>>
>>750395
I'm playing it without, but I don't know enough to realize if I'm missing stuff.
>>
>>750748
Because the mechanic didn't really work. They're adding it back it when it's fixed and fully functioning.
>>
>>750748
Try FODD instead of asking stupid questions.
It's better mod anyway
>>
>>750083
Any of the various supermutant nations. Twin Mothers.The mexican AIs. Vault City and New Reno (New Reno actually lets you form the enclave). Also, don't forget to check the game rules.
>>
>>750083
Is there somewhere to read the lore/information of all the original factions of the game?
>>
>>750936
I know I'm going to get shit for this but I'm just gonna bite the bullet, what is FODD? I've been into Hoi4 for years and I've never heard that acronym
>>
>>751407
https://www.moddb.com/mods/fallouts-doomsday-for-darkest-hour

It'd DH, which is Hoi2.5
>>
>>751419
ah ok, thank you
>>
File: 1560301901669.png (139 KB, 394x360)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
I'm having mod trouble now. I wanted to play old world blues with enclave reborn but now it won't work. I moved hard drives because I built a new computer in the fall but kaiserreich still works. I don't have any of the DLC either. I tried deleting all the mods from the folder (which is stored on a separate hdd for some reason) and it didn't help at all. Its just this one specific mod that doesn't want to work now and I don't know why
>>
>>751647
It'll probably still work on legacy OWB
>>
>>750097
>but with the lack of a thread encompassing all mods of HoI4, there was no where else really to make it.
those threads awlays boil down to shit throwing
>>
>>750351
To be fair, there are a few hors countries on that continent. From what I’ve heard, next up is a zebra continent (because apparently people still give a shit about the Fallout crossover), followed by a rework of horsland.
>>
>>750090
Who spit in your cereal?
>>
>>
File: Fallout_4_box_cover.jpg (1.13 MB, 1510x1722)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
Why does this fan mod have better worldbuilding than the actual games now?
>>
>>752298
Because modern media is designed to be easily digestible to quickly lure in as many people as possible. Most fan games or works are fairly involved because they target people who have more than a passing interesting in a subject.
>>
>>751125
I wish, but I haven't found it yet. I'd like to know more about some of the factions, some like the Chained Choir and a lot of Mexico would make for good settings for a regular Fallout game or at least short expansion.
>>
>>752376
oh when you start up the game a gui will show upm when you navigate the menu you can read about the new factions like iron alliance and maxon brotherhood
>>
OP this >>750094
Playing as the brotherhood and keeping Elija in charge is a great playthrough.
>>
>>750287
>FODD
What is this?
>>
>>750083
Mike?
>>
>>752446
Fallout Doomsday

It's a fallout hearts of iron 2 mod
>>
>>752298
Because Bethesda's worldbuilding has been complete and utter garbage ever since they were done with Morrowind.
>>
I don't really play vanilla HoI4, so I don't know exactly what I'm doing. Should I focus on making very large fronts were possible or try to keep my military small with a decent size of reserve manpower? When I lose manpower in combat, does it slowly return to my free manpower pool at a very slow rate based on my mobilization speed, or is it just directly lost?

I'm curious how precious manpower is and if I should focus on preserving it for a long campaign or just accept that I'm going to burn a lot of it in a war and have to recover for a while afterwards. I get that certain nations "historically" function in a specific way (Caeser wants an absolutely massive front to overcome his tech disadvantage and lack of industrial capacity, while the NCR naturally has a large army of WW1-WW2 style infantry just due to their population), but where do things like robots and super mutants fall in?
>>
>>751800
Didn't the lead dev halt for like a year because he got drafted into the Russian Army?
As long as they keep mommies Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker, it's cool with me.
>>
>>752645
Manpower doesn't come back, no (you get a constant trickle of manpower, but it is just a trickle). This means that unless you're playing a country like NCR or legion, you need to worry about conserving it and also anything that increases the pool is fairly important to keep in mind. That said, having lots of reserve manpower does nothing for you either, and you can always merge/disband units if you run out - HOWEVER the caps system punishes you for having a bigger standing army than you need to. Ideally, therefore, you want to win wars with as few casualties as possible. What works best depends on the situation (however, you ALSO want to avoid wars that go for years even if that does save some manpower, if you can avoid it). Against a weaker enemy, that usually means a large front. Against a stronger enemy that usually means either holding a chokepoint/chokepoints until the AI runs out of steam, or luring the AI through a chokepoint so you can do a massive encirclement.

Supermutants are just better infantry, and if you're playing a supermutant nation you should forget about having regular infantry (except for motorized, which remains useful). Support robots are a way of conserving manpower (you get something like 5-10 divisions of robots for every infantry division, depending on how many support companies you add to them, as well as goodies like armor and hardness), but you need a lot of industrial capacity to field them in meaningful numbers. Combat robots are more like tanks, except they move at the speed of infantry - they have high attack, high hardness and armor, but they lack organization so you can't have divisions of combat robots with nothing to support them. Unless you start as a robot-focused nation, I would say it's generally inadvisable to focus on robots until/unless you can dedicate at least a dozen factories to producing them (and they're expensive in terms of materials as well).
>>
>>752645
>>752700
A percentage of manpower lost in battles does trickle back. The amount can be improved by adding medical support companies to divisions (called chems in OWB) and researching medical tech.
>>
How do people feel about the fusing of Wasteland into the mod to fill more of that empty space
>>
The guys based out of old Area 51 are pretty fun, even if they aren't particularly unique as far as OWB minor factions go.
>>
Is it just me or does the Texan Brotherhood/Provisional Republic of Texas not really have any significant enemies and makes for a very easy start?

The surrounding tribals or settler nations can nowhere near match the Texan Brotherhood's military might, the super mutants are scripted to go to an unintervenable war between each other and Keats, your ally, usually comes out on top, and the Alamo Chapter, the only one with the military might and technology to actually challenge you at the start of the game, is isolationist and content to patiently wait until you complete your focus tree and reintegrate them. Lanius's Cohort, which could be a significant threat to justify the easy start, usually goes north to Colorado, ignores Texas and Mexico, or just declares war on Caeser himself. The RGR is a non-threat, and the Alamo Chapter usually takes down Santa Anna as soon as he declares war on them.

The only tossup is if the Hand Warband wins over Lone Star, but even if they do, you just lose out on a few bonuses and can move in to restore order at a later date. I get that Texas is suppose to become an NCR-like superstate (Same for the RGR to an extent), but I don't feel like it has any meaningful challenges on the road to becoming that, so it's just a delay on the game in the meantime while you curbstomp raiders.
>>
>>754113
It's even worse in the late game. If you look at the AI, the Provisional Republic of Texas tends to have 2-3 times as much manpower than anyone else, and they're also more advanced than any of the other super majors. Also, the lawkeepers are pretty OP, especially as you go down the focus tree and get more bonuses for them. They're damn near impossible to stop unless you abuse the AI.
>>
>>754130
I kind of feel like a lot of their later stuff (Great tech from a Brotherhood background, good manpower from being a large democracy) was supposed to be a sort of reward or counterbalance from making it through a shaky start, which is why I find it odd the only thing remotely threatening to the duo is the initial hand civil war. They just feel like NCR+ like you mentioned, as if the NCR somehow managed to integrate the Brootherhood of Steel and disseminate their tech.

There's other large nations with good tech, but most of them have innate problems that have to be addressed before you can do anything about them (Tlalocan and his sons, WARDEN and other robots) or high tech nations that are hemmed in by large ones that could destroy them with the the sheer amount of bodies they can throw at them, but TB/LS is just sort of plopped in the middle of a playground with a three way alliance that has each others' backs.

Maybe their idea was to give Caeser's Legion a sort of postgame if you played as them and took the NCR, or vice versa if the NCR pacified the Legion, but it does make them dull to play as.
>>
>>754110
How about you kill yourself?
>>
>>754265
were you that desperate to bump the thread
>>
>>754328
>Implying I did
How new are you, exactly?
>>
>>755504
Bump
>>
File: 1303741106-1.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1080)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>754265
You got something against the Wasteland crpgs in particular that sets you off?
>>
>>755885
No.
But I have against the harebrained idea of adding Wasteland stuff to Fallout, in some insane "hey, it's post-apo, too!" approach.
Those settings aren't even similar, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>755906
You might actually be retarded.

Wasteland was a direct inspiration for the Fallout series, and that's also why its part of the OWB mod.
>>
>>755906
>But I have against the harebrained idea of adding Wasteland stuff to Fallout,
You mean like the Desert Rangers (which are also explicitly brought up in New Vegas)?
>>
>>755908
>t. never, ever, not even once, played ANY wasteland game
Thanks for confirming, retardo.

>>756014
... WHICH ARE DIFFERENT ORGANISATION

Why every single faggot that ever brings Wasteland in Fallout context turns out to be a no-game that has no idea about Wasteland series, not to mention its lore? But hey, name got dropped, that gotta be it!
Not even Bethesda is as dense as you are. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
>>
>>756019
>... WHICH ARE DIFFERENT ORGANISATION
No they aren't, fucktard. It's an explicit reference to Wasteland.
>>
>>756026
Come back when you play some Wasteland, m8. Any will do and they even made the original zoomer-friendly, so it won't filter you out due to inability to run it.
>>
>>756031
Nice non-argument. I'll take that as an admission that you're wrong.
>>
Last time I played this, I think it was when they added Mexico and I played the Rio Grande Republic. What are the best nations they've added since then? Have they changed the pre-existing ones at all?
>>
>>756032
>Is utterly clueless about Wasteland
>N-no, y-you have no argument!
Tell me again how a rogue AI starting global orbital bombardment and then replacing half of what's left with robots ties to Fallout beyond the surface-level of "i-it's post-apo!"
Oh, right, it fucking doesn't, but how could you know, if you never played any.
>>
>>756050
>making a reference means that the settings must be the same
Lol retard
>>
>>756035
Caesars legion and the Mojave brotherhood got reworked, the Twin mothers are a pretty fun new nation
>>
>>752298
Because Bethesda never made a good Fallout game, they missed the point of the original games completely and now some of their devs are trying their best to shit on the lore just to spite the fans of the older games, i wish i was kidding.
>>
File: 1376753267089.jpg (7 KB, 207x192)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>756055
>Missing the point entirely
>Still trying to win anyway
>>
>>756273
So tell me again how the Desert rangers in the two (separate) settings are different? Oh wait, you can't because you're full of shit.
>>
>>756557
You're retarded.
>>
>>756560
The developers have explicitly stated that the Desert Rangers are a direct reference to Wasteland, fucktard. Just kill yourself.
>>
>>754110
Having played Wasteland 2 one thing sticks out strongly in my mind.

Does anyone else get the impression that the Desert Rangers are utterly incompetent outside of your team?

At every turn the Rangers outside of the player squad have just been dying off or failing to protect their limited holdings again and again. Not to mention they all seem to be perplexed at the idea that anything can still exist in the world outside of Arizona.
While your small squad of newly-instated rookies and recruited outsiders are solving problems the entire group haven't been able to do anything about for years.

This stems from both the fact they can't even form and deploy two squads to defend two vital holdings of their territory (the lab researching food and the dam supplying water) and all the random worldmap radio chatter you hear from other teams getting fucked up and struggling to even take out small gangs.

Doesn't help that Wasteland 3 opens with a major Ranger force convoy getting mostly wiped out in the intro by some losers.
>>
Fuck the Legion
>>
>>752298
Because they use older fallouts, NV and Van Buren as a base.
>>
>>756646
West Coast Best Coast
>>
>>756574
>I didn't play Wasteland 1
>I jumped directly to 2
>I got confused by the setting
>Is this setting bad?
No, you're just a retard who skipped half of it. You are the equivalent of people who started their Civ adventure with Civ 5 and genuinely can't wrap their heads there are some games before 5.
>some losers
So you didn't play 3 either. Cool
>>
>>756653
You did nothing to prove the competence of the Rangers as a group beyond the current team of PCs in a game.
This is just empty flamebait, there's no substance to it at all.

The Dorsey clan are pretty big losers too, so many of their leaders just die without giving the player a fight.
>>
>>756676
>You did nothing to prove the competence of the Rangers
I wasn't even trying to, but whatever.
The whole fucking point of Wasteland was, is and will always be to have the Rangers stretched to the breaking point. It's the default state of the setting. It's not you or your group being the only competent people. It's every single squad being too small, too under-equipped and too under-skilled to handle the situation... but still trying anyway.
Takes to be brain-damaged to didn't notice that even by just playing 2
>>
File: UlyssesWithoutMask.png (513 KB, 697x581)
513 KB
513 KB PNG
>>756689
Chris Avellone plz go
>>
Are there some more radio mods? I remember there being more music variety before.
>>
>>756691
Chris is literally the most prominent idiot to spout "Wasteland is totally part of Fallout", the fuck you're on?
>>
>>750287
hell yeah, you are my nigga
>>
>>757318
Wasn't Fallout 1 a Wasteland 2?
Like, EA was an asshole publisher holding the rights so Interplay made something completely different and original?
>>
>>757318
Chris is the one that autistically hates the idea of Fallout naturally developing as a setting over time with humanity creating larger nations in the post-apocalypse, he just wants it to remain a handful of struggling scavengers being fucked by gangs of raiders forever.
>>
File: 1614240592451.jpg (485 KB, 820x1148)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
NCR Forever!
>>
For Twin Mothers, I want to try to fill out as much of the tree as possible, seems like the plan should be:
1) Pal up with Lanius
2) Betray him before Cult of Diana
3) End up in a war with him, lose, rebuild Paradise and retake the tribe

That roughly right? I don't permanently screw myself out of anything if I temporarily lose the tribe lands right?
>>
File: D2e32cYWsAAQneS1.jpg (89 KB, 921x665)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>758090
The blonde one looks cute
>>
>>757595
Then he's right because the NCR is fucking boring and so is the east coast brotherhood, I hope bethesda strikes both of them with a horrible plague that removes them from the setting
>>
>>758090
i can't wait to see what Moore's path for the NCR will look like
>>
>>756650
Yeah. Maybe it wouldn't be so, if East Cost games were made by current devs, who knows. But I do like the blend of post apocalyptic West Coast and cowboys.
>>758321
NCR would be more interesting if we saw it interact with more than Ceasar's Legion. Like Twin Mother's from Van Buren/this mod. Also, I think it's always fun when you explore some dark secrets of pre war world. So Master getting mutated by pre war experiments gone wrong is interesting. Maybe more stuff with psykers.
>>
>>758991
Nothing could make the NCR more interesting because its literally just america. Its corrupt, wasteful, imperialist and oppressive but it keeps the lights on and doesn't genocide people (raiders are not people) so it gets a good boy stamp. The Enclave is already the america faction, but yeah the setting needs a lukewarm option so the player doesn't feel bad about having to choose between the legion and something just as awful. Oh and don't forget that they are mommy's special boy so they get to be mentioned in every game with appropriate cock sucking about how stable and nice they are compared to literally every other faction in the setting except maybe the minutemen
>>
>called old world blues
>can't play as big MT
>>
>>759451
>He doesn't know
>>
>>759434
>Oh and don't forget that they are mommy's special boy so they get to be mentioned in every game with appropriate cock sucking about how stable and nice they are compared to literally every other faction in the setting except maybe the minutemen
lolwut? Fallout 3 and 4 don't even mention NCR, while New Vegas makes it abundantly clear that they're not exactly good at things like keeping caravans safe from raiders.
>>
>>763227
4 mentions it in the Cornflake merc’s backstory, he’s from Sac City or somewhere like that.
Wouldn’t call that a dick-sucking though
>>
>>763445
>>763227
And of course, it didn't exist by the time of Fallout 1. Fallout 2 has it fairly neutrally representing old world values in the sense that it officially bans slavery, while being so incompetent that a prominent slaver runs his business in town with just minor grumbling. Additionally, nearly a quarter of the town belongs to a single wealthy billionaire, who owns the pick of all the farmland.

Brotherhood of Steel meanwhile WERE bastardized and made heroic in the later fallout games, while appearing prominently the entire series. Maybe anon meant them instead?
>>
>>764219
meds
>>
>>764266
>Neo-Bethesda
you have got to be joking come on now
>>
>>764306
maybe none of us would have to deal with you if you consulted your medicine cabinet before posting
>>
>>750083
Even though a lot of them still have generic focus trees, I like how all the regular nations have one or two unique focues. Makes fighting them a little more meaningful.
>>
How do I progress as Mojave Chapter. The game usually goes like this:

>Mojave territories declare war
>I have bunkers and shit we sit around and watch each other for a while.
>Ceasar invades
>He distracts the NCRfags and I take Hoover Dam, Mojave outpost and the other chokepoints
>Peace out with Caesar through event
>Beat Mojave Territories
>Take some land
>A few years pass find myself invaded by Caesar, which isn't that bad and the fucking NCR
>I can hold them off at the checkpoints but I can never progress further
???
>>
>>765512
Well, you start by going through the focus tree in a manner that gets you enough preparation to kick the shit out of mojave territories long before the legion gets involved...
>>
Any mod that influences the war behaviour of AI. Like there should be some white peace option when there's an AI attacking you and making no progress for years. This way you have to go all out and kill him which is rather unrealistic. In this game there can never be a scenario where a minor power merely keeps a stronger power back and this way keeps their sovereignty.
>>
>>765281
most people don't sit in their basement at their desk on 4chan all day, schizo-kun
>>
>>756019
Why dont you explain the differences then instead of just posting retard bait so you can have an excuse to moan like a woman
>p-p-play the game
No
>>
>>766274
>>766261
>>765281
>>765280
>>764306
>>764300
>>764266
>>764250
>>764219
>>759434
>>758321
>>756689
>>756691
>>757318
>>756676
>(you)
>>
>>766275
Seething faggot
>>
>>766275
only 6 of those reply's are actually me you raging schizophrenic
>>
>>765782
I've noticed this is a huge problem with the context of OWB. You never really have border disputes or anything like that, every war is a total war, taking a note from the parent game. I really wish that an AI could capitulate early if the only thing you had for demands was a small border state, it's silly that I have to fully conquer and take entire countries at once in Fallout.
>>
>>765782
>>766429
There are some (for instance, Twin Mothers can white peace Lanius, although by the time you can do that you could just as well conquer them so there's no point), but as I understand it, the problem is that they all have to be pre-scripted. Same with border wars, but the border war mechanic is kind of bad.
>>
>>750129
You build yourself up then use your giga army of robots and liberty primes to conquer the NCR and legion

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.